bex's Content

There have been 31 items by bex (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#339062 S.L.A.N.G. Salt Lake Area Nerf Geeks May War (UT)

Posted by bex on 20 May 2014 - 01:07 PM in Nerf Wars

I will be there. My name is Brian. I will be bringing my son and our Nerf blasters. We have a Rapid Strike CS-18, Triad, and Firestrike. I also received a Mattel BoomCo Twisted Spinner blaster yesterday from the UK that I will bring. We will have eye protection, sunscreen, snacks, and plenty of water. I am willing to gather supplies for mobstacles, if we can all pitch in some money. The Tarp and PVC ones look easy. $36.51 for 12 pack of tarps on Amazon. Curtain rings are $1 for 12. PVC is $2 for 5 ft lengths. 4 triangle shaped mobstacles would run about $65. Let me know if anyone can pitch in. I could probably talk my wife into letting me pay for a couple. Thanks.

#339078 S.L.A.N.G. Salt Lake Area Nerf Geeks May War (UT)

Posted by bex on 21 May 2014 - 01:23 PM in Nerf Wars

I've also been curious to try build to the same thing out of weed fabric. Its on a roll and about the right height.

We need some of this for our yard anyway. I will snag a roll when I go for the PVC. I will get the stuff ordered so we have it in time for the war.

Some other members of my family have expressed some interest. My brother and brother-in-law have some stock blasters. Is there enough loaner blasters that fire stefans for me to bring 4 people? My son probably won't come if I bring all these guys. My brother is engaged, so it would kind of be an unofficial bachelor's party. He is getting sealed in the LDS temple, so strippers are out. We might be able to get some to come out again. Let me know what you think guys. Thanks.

#339105 S.L.A.N.G. Salt Lake Area Nerf Geeks May War (UT)

Posted by bex on 23 May 2014 - 03:42 AM in Nerf Wars

It looks like I will be bringing about 5 guys. I think I could ask them to donate some money to the bachelor's party. Maybe $10 from you two with some stefans kicked in? I ordered the tarps. I will snag the shower rings, PVC, and barrier paper this weekend. Do the shower rings work for the top or do we need S-rings? I am also modding my 18 rd clip to take stefans. I am going to replace the stupid plastic rifled barrel with some brass tube in pvc or other plastic. Do you guys know what works best with flywheels? I got some trustfire batteries and I have a 3 cell Lipo. I think the Lipo will work best and easiest, so I will probably go that route. I have a red dot sight coming for it too. I even got a 35 round drum. I am going to attempt to make that stefan compatible as well. How long are the stefans that you guys make? I am really happy to find a group here. This seems so much better than paintball. Much cheaper too. Let me know if I am missing something. I am down to make gumdrops with you guys anytime. Just let me know when and where. Thanks.

#339125 S.L.A.N.G. Salt Lake Area Nerf Geeks May War (UT)

Posted by bex on 24 May 2014 - 12:01 AM in Nerf Wars

5+you? That's awesome!
Drums are very difficult to steffanize. Straight clips are the way to go.

I like my Stefan to be 1.5" in total length, but that's all purely personal preference.

The only mobsticle I own is a tetrahedral built by a retired nerfer TaerKitty. I've never actually built any of my own. I've got quite a bit of weed cloth we can use, so hold off on that purchase.

I simply slap some trustfires in my rayven and spam stock darts, but a logo would probably be better. Our group kinda lacks an electronics guru.

My goto barrel materials are flo-guard-gold cpvc for spring powered blasters (the Lowe's on 9000s & ?00 East sells it) and petg tubing for air guns (that's a McMaster.com order). If its a flywheel blaster you want no contact with the dart after the fly wheels. Barrels are purely ascetic on fly wheel blasters.

I'm organizing a carpool to this years Gordon in California. The more people we can pack I. The value. The cheaper costs get. Might want to give that some thought too.

Cool, I can do that. We're currently a little short on stefans, but we're going to make a ton for shmmee's Armageddon trip, so we should be able to make some extras for you.

As shmmee said, flywheel blasters don't need barrels. You also may want to hold off on converting your mags to shoot stefans. We mostly use stock darts in our flywheel blasters, but I've also made myself some stefans that are the same length as stock darts, so I don't have to modify my mags. You'd also need to extend the dart pusher in your blaster to compensate for shorter darts if you went that route too. I end up needing to make more darts, (since some blasters use short stefans and the flywheel blasters require stock length darts) but I feel that it is worth it.

I like this thread. Our war threads usually die 2-3 days after I post them!

The rifling screws up some darts. They spin out with the back foam rotating around the dart head and go like 5 feet. I found some wider black tubing at Home Depot, but it is still half inch. I was planning to extend the dart pusher anyway because the lack of length causes jams sometimes. I looked at the drum conversion. It does look difficult so I will hold off. Can you modify stock darts to fly better? I didn't get any barrier paper. We had some at my house already. I am pretty good with electronics. I race RC cars and that requires some electrical skill. I have a really nice soldering station. My soldering skills are pretty good. Let's get together to make some stefans before the war. Thanks.

#339147 S.L.A.N.G. Salt Lake Area Nerf Geeks May War (UT)

Posted by bex on 25 May 2014 - 09:38 PM in Nerf Wars

This is the rapidstrike cs-18. The rifling is stock in the barrel. I read the article here on rifling nerf darts as pointless. Boy is he right. I was thinking of dropping a bb in the rear of the dart with some putty or glue. That wouldn't affect the tip. I am going to be late to the war. I have a father sons camp out Friday night. I can be there at about 9:30. I hope that isn't a problem. I will send my crew on time with the materials. There should be 3or 4 there on time and two of us that are late.

#339286 S.L.A.N.G. Salt Lake Area Nerf Geeks May War (UT)

Posted by bex on 02 June 2014 - 01:10 PM in Nerf Wars

Thanks to the SLANG group for putting on an awesome war. It was great to get out with some organized games. I really can't wait for the next one because I will have a healthy leg. I will be working on extending the range of my Rapidstrike. I was running 7.4V. I need to remove some resistors to bump up to 11.1V. I also want to mess with the barrel material to remove that rifling. The long range blasters were very impressive. My brother and his friend loved it. I will definitely get my other brother and my brother-in-law out to the next war. If you need a tune-up before Armageddon, I would love to come out again. Let me know when you are planning on making stefans. I would really like to see that also. Any pics you want to throw up are fine with me.

-Bex

#339856 S.L.A.N.G. Salt Lake Area Nerf Geeks July War

Posted by bex on 30 June 2014 - 01:35 AM in Nerf Wars

I am! I will be at 11.1 volts this time..

#340761 Stryfe, Rayven, Rapidstrike walk into a bar...

Posted by bex on 29 July 2014 - 10:28 AM in General Nerf

If you want my personal opinion, the Stryfe wins. A smaller design, no faux barrel, and a breeze to work on I think it is the apex of modern flywheels. True, it is semi-auto so I can understand why people might gravitate to the Rapidstrike. However, I've personally clocked my Stryfe at 3 darts a second. This is faster than a stock rapidstrike; I see no reason to even want to spray faster than that, waste of ammunition.

I own a modded RapidStrike. A lot of Nerfers don't realize how much of an advantage high fire rate gives. Most Nerfers are used to dodging darts. They are not coming that fast. You cannot dodge 7 darts on a line. Pulling the trigger to get 3 darts a second is hurting accuracy and tracking. I think the RapidStrike would own a Stryfe, particularly with a 35 round drum. The only thing that drives me crazy are the dart jams. You have to use fairly new elites or it jams. If there is a bend on the dart or damage it will jam. At 11.1V the RapidStrike tears little chunks off of the darts and fires too quickly to be useful. I found that a 7.4V lipo is about perfect. Light and plenty fast. I will have one of my fellow Nerfers use a Stryfe in our next war. I want to see how it does against the RapidStrike. The first time I played with the RS and at a nerf war for that matter, I averaged 6-8 kills with it in the first few rounds. Then the players wised up and stayed further away from me and I was pretty much owned after that. I was laid up with a hurt calf and I quickly discovered that this is the perfect camping weapon. If they get close, they are going to get hit with a hail of darts that is impossible to dodge. Just my 2 cents.

#340762 Stryfe, Rayven, Rapidstrike walk into a bar...

Posted by bex on 29 July 2014 - 10:33 AM in General Nerf

Does anyone have a wiring schematic of a Rapidstrike? Also, I'm going with http://www.kenonhobb...rn_p_43045.html motors. I'll look in to replacement flywheels. Thanks for the help.
Edit: Got wiring schematics.

That motor is going to turn those flywheels much faster at the same voltage as the stock motors. I am just warning you. The Kv is the revolutions per volt. I picked these motors. They were the highest turn I could find with ball bearings. Higher turns is referring to the wire wrapped around the shaft. Higher turns means lower revolutions per volt, but torque increases. Simply put, there should be a nice balance between speed and power. A low turn motor will spin the flywheels fast, but lack the grunt under load (torque) to fire the dart. That is overloading the motor and create a lot of heat which could be melting the flywheels. I race rc cars, so I have a lot of experience with electric motors. I am going to attempt a brushless conversion on this gun eventually. That will be a huge project though.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f3953ba3b

#342157 TR-27 GRYPHON - CR-18 Rapidstrike Mod

Posted by bex on 27 September 2014 - 02:46 AM in Modifications

I sent you a PM Gimmick. That OLED is just awesome. I am really impressed with the Gryphon. I have been playing with lipos in my CS-18. I found that the 11.1V overwhelmed the pusher motor. I dropped down to 7.4V, which gives me the fire rate that is useful in wars, but not enough range. So I decided to replace the motors with higher kv rating. This means they spin faster at lower voltage. The motors used were RC car motors from a Kyosho Mini-Z. My kids were playing with my gun with a 3 cell lipo on the stock motors and broke it somehow. The middle finger trigger that revs the flywheels didn't work anymore. I replaced the motors and it would fire without revving, but now I have lost any voltage to the flywheel motors. I need to pull the board. I don't really know how to read a circuit diagram, but I will try to isolate the problem. I am interested in a drop in electronics kit similar to the Gryphon. Did you ever develop one? Thanks.

#342167 Motor and Battery Combo

Posted by bex on 27 September 2014 - 06:55 PM in Modifications

Why would you put a 3.7V battery in a gun designed for 6V? I don't think that motor will work. Does this gun need a double shaft like that? I am putting a 7.4V Lipo in mine today. We will see if I fry anything.

#342223 Stryfe Battery Question

Posted by bex on 01 October 2014 - 05:57 PM in Modifications

Kyosho Mini-Z Motors are 180. Google search for Mini-Z motor and you will find a ton.

#342343 Li-Ion or LiPo?

Posted by bex on 09 October 2014 - 03:32 PM in Modifications

Another vote for Lipo. They are the best.

#342344 Your first NIC war and your first blaster

Posted by bex on 09 October 2014 - 03:49 PM in Site Feedback

First war was with SLANG at a park in Utah. I brought my slightly modified Rapidstrike CS-18. I added a 7.4V Lipo and a 35 round drum. I did okay until I had to defend a hill. Since that war, I have plasti-dipped the flywheels, swapped in new motors, and switched the barrel. I will be changing the barrel again and re-wiring the whole gun to get rid of all the restrictions.

#342890 Nerf Elite Rhino-fire

Posted by bex on 18 November 2014 - 02:16 AM in General Nerf

I was looking for a second rapid strike to mod when I saw this:
http://www.walmart.c...laster/36776120
I am wondering if this could become a stationary turret out on the Nerf field. It fires slow and VERY inaccurate stock, but modding should be able to fix some of that. I think two 35 rd drums on this thing with about twice the fire rate would make this pretty fun. I am considering ordering it, but the $90 is giving me some pause. Does this look like a gun that would be impossible to mod? The rapid strike was not difficult for me. I am very good at soldering.

#342911 Nerf Elite Rhino-fire

Posted by bex on 19 November 2014 - 05:11 AM in General Nerf

I decided to wait for the after Christmas markdowns. If it drops to around 70, I will try it. I bet they will have a ton of these left over. What parent is going to drop 90 on this? I am sure the turret movement can be disabled. It would be nice to see the internals before I buy it also. I just want to pretend I am Arnold in Terminator 2 with a chain gun. I really like the way it looks. Pulling this out at a war would definitely be awesome. Protecting the base in capture the flag would be way more fun.

#342973 Nerf Elite Rhino-fire

Posted by bex on 21 November 2014 - 10:52 PM in General Nerf

Looks good to me. I would use these as static base defense guns. My rs is way better for run and gun.

#342977 Rotating barrel minigun

Posted by bex on 22 November 2014 - 04:10 AM in General Nerf

Actually, I'd like to thank you, Duke, for enlightening me, or rather, jarring me out of my current cynical state and back into normalcy. Quimbly, go ahead. Build your minigun! DO IT FOR THE LULZ AND REK PEOPLE LIKE ME JUST TO SPITE US! RISE UP from the tyranny of practicality! Intemagrate a longshot into a Jolt! Make ball blasters! Go crazy! Make a double Dahmer! oh yes....

Modding Nerf guns doesn't have to be all about performance. Our group has an awfuls round with vintage or unique guns. I say do whatever you want to do with your gun. I certainly don't think we need to make fun of anyone. Let's all try to get along. Some of the best looking nerf guns I have seen don't even fire or were stock inside. They are props for LARP or Cosplay. I think there should be a place for all modders on Nerfhaven. After all, at the end of the day, Nerf guns are just kids toys. We don't need to take it so seriously.

#342978 REAL Banana Clip!

Posted by bex on 22 November 2014 - 04:31 AM in General Nerf

With the advent of the RS and flywheel blasters, I really wish there was a drum for more than 35 rounds that wasn't so bulky. I am really excited to see the 25 round stefan magazine from Orange Mod Works. Too bad this one never made it. 50 rounds would be perfect for my RS. I run out of ammo too quickly with my high fire rate.

Posted Image

#346956 Aluminum Flywheels

Posted by bex on 28 May 2015 - 02:57 AM in Modifications

I noticed a huge problem with nerf flywheels. The plastic is super soft and they are not balanced. Mine wobbled when they spun. I am having some produced at a machine shop out of aluminum. It will be interesting to see how they perform.

IMG_7395_zpsmqhebpca.jpg

#346958 Aluminum Flywheels

Posted by bex on 28 May 2015 - 06:20 AM in Modifications

They will have a 2mm grub screw to lock them on the motor shaft. They are the same dimensions, but the tip is slightly thicker to accept the grub screw. Concave would be much harder to machine. I will stick with flat for now.

#346964 Aluminum Flywheels

Posted by bex on 28 May 2015 - 05:06 PM in Modifications

I told you why I am doing it. The plastic flywheels cause problems. I am adding holes similar to the link. I was planning on using some 400 grit sandpaper to rough up the surface. I know it is going to be heavier, but I think the added power of my motors should overcome the weight problem. This is an experiment. I will see how it turns out. Thanks.

#346970 Aluminum Flywheels

Posted by bex on 28 May 2015 - 07:32 PM in Modifications

You are probably right. I will try the 1000 grit first. I might just put some grip tape or plastidip on them. I will experiment and find which works best.

#347445 Aluminum Flywheels

Posted by bex on 26 June 2015 - 01:45 AM in Modifications

Here is how they sound. They spin up pretty quick. There is certainly vibration, but nothing that I couldn't live with. I will probably put in some different motors. These are a little too hot. I will assemble it with these to get some fps numbers.
Nerf Rapidstrike cs-18 aluminum modification test:

#347446 Aluminum Flywheels

Posted by bex on 26 June 2015 - 02:08 AM in Modifications

Pictures. These are an early prototype. The machinist has a better machine coming for the holes in the side. I wanted six, but got five on these. The holes will be bigger and more even on the next set.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#347447 Aluminum Flywheels

Posted by bex on 26 June 2015 - 02:19 AM in Modifications

Since they are spinning up fine, I will try them without holes to see if it cuts down on vibrations. I am going to balance them with a rc plane prop balancer. Thanks a lot for the suggestions. The machinist is a friend of mine. He is happy to work on something unique. The cost on these is very low. I would still like to explore a lightweight option to see if a stock rapidstrike with a lipo could handle the extra weight.

#352839 Help in the Austin Area with a Rapid Strike Mod

Posted by bex on 17 April 2016 - 02:46 PM in Modifications

I tried several motors. The best replacement is PN Racing 70 turn Mini-Z RC motors. Get rid of the Trustfires. They cannot handle the wattage demand from good motors spitting a dart out. Switch to a 2S 7.4V Lipo battery. They take a special charger you can get online for about 30. 1800 Mah is a good fit. I use Turnigy Lipos from Hobbyking.com.

#352840 ? Safe replacement for Ultra Fire 14500 3.6V 900mAh

Posted by bex on 17 April 2016 - 02:53 PM in Modifications

I would suggest Lipos. They handle load way better. It takes some soldering, but a Lipo will last longer, is much lighter, and can handle high discharge bursts. The drawback is you can't completely drain them and they take a special charger. I use a voltage alarm on mine. A 1S Lipo is 3.6V and they come in 900mAh. Hobbyking.com is a good online store for them.

#352841 Rapidstrike battery upgrade questions

Posted by bex on 17 April 2016 - 02:57 PM in Modifications

I run a 7.4V Lipo in my stock Rapidstrike with no issues. The switches are the weak link.

#352842 High torque 130 motors.

Posted by bex on 17 April 2016 - 03:12 PM in Modifications

I use PN Racing 70 turn Mini-z 130 motors on a 7.4V Lipo. They have treated me well.

#352843 Aluminum Flywheels

Posted by bex on 17 April 2016 - 03:18 PM in Modifications

It has been a long time, but I got my blaster together. Here is the first test. My Lipo is dumping. I will charge it and get another video up.