KaptainKrazy's Content

There have been 76 items by KaptainKrazy (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#311710 Game Types and Rules for Nerf Wars

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 23 February 2012 - 07:23 PM in General Nerf

This hurts my feelings. Now excuse me, I need to go cut myself.

EDIT: I hope people weren't taking me seriously. It was supposed to be sarcastic comment, not me bitching.

RE: YOUR EDIT RE: YOUR EDIT EDIT: Well that clears it up then.

#313688 Longstrike Basic Mods!

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 29 March 2012 - 05:39 AM in Modifications

Very well documented, and easy to follow. Great job.

#311922 VANS Are Not Slugs

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 26 February 2012 - 09:07 PM in Darts and Barrels

I don't understand; why do you have to remove the adhesive? Wouldn't that help it bond to the silicone better?

#312484 NJNO5

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 05 March 2012 - 04:34 PM in Nerf Wars

[quote name='andtheherois' timestamp='1330923526' post='312457'
@Kaptain Krazy I really don't understand what the difference in 5 minutes is. There were more out of state Nerfers at last Saturday's war than there were in state nerfers.
[/quote]

When I google mapped it, it said that there was an 30 minute difference. Strange.

#312394 NJNO5

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 04 March 2012 - 06:53 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm a maybe if it's at Babbage.

#322535 Vote for NH's Next Avatar Pack

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 13 October 2012 - 07:33 AM in Off Topic

How about characters from cereal boxes? (you know you want to be that toucan!) I second rage faces.

#311280 NJNO4

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 15 February 2012 - 06:34 PM in Nerf Wars

Would a Klaw count? Also, I don't have that many darts, so I was wondering if I could buy some off anyone at the war. If so, could said person give me a price range?

#311353 NJNO4

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 17 February 2012 - 10:22 AM in Nerf Wars

Damn, can't make the new location. I'm out.

#311263 NJNO4

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 15 February 2012 - 11:53 AM in Nerf Wars

If I can get my parents to drive me, then I'm in. If I do, I might bring two or three guests.
Melee weapons?

#312140 NERF Sharpshot Modification

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 29 February 2012 - 07:51 PM in Modifications

The NERF Sharp shot has to be one of the most disappointing stock blasters I've ever purchased. Stock, this gun was hitting abysmal 5 to 9 feet flat, and for it's size, that's just unacceptable. Time to make this into something worth saving from the dumpster.

Supplies

--Sharpshot

--3 inches of 17/32 Brass

--Replacment Spring (I used a Nite Finder, not optimal, but it's what I had on hand)

--Nite Finder O-Ring (Or the equivalent)

--Hot Glue

--Dremel With Fine Grit Sanding Drum

--Silicpn Grease

--Silicon Sealent (OPTIONAL)

--Piece of Plastic Tubing That Fits Securely Over Brass (OPTIONAL)

Start by unscrewing your blaster:

Posted Image

Remove these side panels:

Posted Image

Internals:

Posted Image

Get your replacement spring. Stock spring is on the right, Nitefinder is on left. Set it aside for now.

Posted Image

If you don't have a replacement spring, putting a few nickels behind the stock spring will give it a boost

Posted Image

If your replacement spring is pretty powerful, consider replacing the catch.

Posted Image

Pull the plunger assembly out. Slip your NF o-ring on with the stock ring.

Posted Image

Drill out the AR. I don't have a picture of it before, but I'm sure you can figure it out

Posted Image

Time to do the barrel replacement. Cut your 3 inches of brass.

Posted Image

Smear a bit of hot glue on the brass, and nest it inside the stock barrel.

Posted Image

The stock orange tips opening is to narrow for the brass to fit through. Using your Dremel, sand the opening until the brass fits snugly inside.

Posted Image

Pad the plunger head. I suggest this writeup (hint hint nudge nudge): http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=22201

Posted Image

Now lube that sucker up, and youre ready to resemble.

Posted Image

Internals before reassembly.

Posted Image

(Nearly) Finished Product.

Posted Image

I didn't like the way the brass was exposed, so I found a small section of plastic tube,

Posted Image

And glued it on over the brass.

Posted Image

All done!

Ranges: Suprising. 50 to 60 feet. A nice improvement over stock ranges.

UPDATE: did some testing, and found out that it vacuum loads darts. How about that?

Questions? Comments? Flames?

#312170 NERF Sharpshot Modification

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 01 March 2012 - 06:44 AM in Modifications

The Sharp Shot is the most abysmal performer I have amongst my Nerf blasters. I cannot help but chuckle when the darts start to fall right out of the barrel. The size and decent ergonomics are a plus for me though.

Interesting take on it, and very nice ranges. Nice illustrative pics too. I would smooth & port the plunger a bit more for added airflow.

I also suggest re-enforcing the wall that is just before the catch. When I added a heavy spring to one I did for a friend, the wall broke. He fixed that problem by running a bolt though the blaster. Not the cleanest, but it was effective at what It did.

I would suggest using epoxy puddy though, before it breaks.

If this is using only a NF spring, you may just want to add a stronger aftermarket spring. Don't go crazy though, this is still a reverse plunger.

Even if you don't upgrade the spring further, it is a good idea to carry out some of the aforementioned reinforcements, pad the plunger, and add epoxy putty in the area of the shell behind the spring to prevent deformation of the plastic.

All great ideas. I will update the writeup as soon as I can.

#312576 NERF Sharpshot Modification

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 08 March 2012 - 05:05 PM in Modifications

If you have patience and a square needle file, you can nest your 17/32 brass inside the barrel. This way you don't have that chunk of brass sticking out and you don't have to alter the orange front piece.
There's a little over 2.5 inches in there, gooped and waiting to be cut.
I just filed out the inside while turning the barrel in my other hand. It would have been easier if I had some sort of really long sanding attachment for my Dremel. If I ever do this again I might try gluing some sandpaper to a dowel.

I did nest the brass in the stock barrel; I just made my brass longer than the stock one. I don't see your point.

#312144 NERF Sharpshot Modification

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 29 February 2012 - 08:34 PM in Modifications

Are you sure that is a Nightfinder spring? In my modding of this gun, a maverick spring barely fit. Also, that is not a Nightfinder o-ring, it is a maverick o-ring.
Anyways, nice mod. :)

Maverick springs are actually smaller than an NF spring. And now that I think about it, it might actually be a maverick o-ring.

#323107 Buzz Bee Cougar

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 27 October 2012 - 09:37 PM in Modifications

ranges are similar to a Nitefinder (about 60 feet)

Well get me one then. How does the clip advance? Is it manual?

#322733 Tee shirt launcher help.

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 18 October 2012 - 05:41 AM in Off Topic

You could just coupler one of those air powered plumbing cleaners. Those would probably be the only thing that could launch a tee shirt that far.

#311182 Ammunition Counter for a LongStrike

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 14 February 2012 - 05:26 PM in Modifications

Isn't that a longshot?

#310921 Avatars in the next version of IPB

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 08 February 2012 - 08:18 PM in Site Feedback

You could just allow custom avatars, but add some thing to the COC about what is not acceptable in your picture.

#310654 Longstrike Upgrade (MK.1)

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 04 February 2012 - 06:21 AM in Modifications

Very nice for a reverse plunger blaster; (well, it's not anymore,) it all is very clean. Just one question. Where will the pump be located?

#311430 Simple and Durable Plunger Head Padding

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 18 February 2012 - 04:42 PM in Modifications

Ok, so this is my first "real" post on NerfHaven, so let's see how it goes! (Feedback would be great!)

When you upgrade a spring, it exerts more force on the plunger head/tube, and you run the risk of destroying your internals. When I was perusing the aquarium supplies selection at at Petco, I saw something that made a light go off in my head.

Supplies Needed

--Silcon-based Aquarium Sealent

--A Toothpick or something equivalent

--Masking Tape

--Plunger Head of Choice

Posted Image

STEP 1

Read ALL the warnings on the packaging of your sealant. It really sucks if you do this in a unventilated area, and you end up smelling like vinegar.

Posted Image

STEP 2

Put a nice big dollop on the head; I used latex gloves to put it roughly where I wanted it, and then used a toothpick to finish it up.

Posted Image

(And no, that orange stuff is not a ginger's pubic hair, it's felt, dummy.)

STEP 3

You're almost done! Put some masking tape around the head to make sure it doesn't ooze down the sides, and put it outside to set. Give it about 24 hours to fully set.

Posted Image

That's it!

Questions? Comments? Flames?

#311434 Simple and Durable Plunger Head Padding

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 18 February 2012 - 05:17 PM in Modifications

So you put padding on top of the goop then?

No, the Silcon sealant itself is the padding. When cured it has the viscosity of very soft rubber.

#311939 Simple and Durable Plunger Head Padding

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 27 February 2012 - 06:52 AM in Modifications

Just a quick question...
If you can use masking tape to prevent drips / spills / overflowing, why dont you wrap the diameter of the plunger head with masking tape first, then apply the silicone?
I'm just thinking that by doing so, you can effectively use the masking tape as a sort of "wall" to keep the silicone in a neat-o circular shape.

I may be wrong though.

Just a personal preference. The silicone isn't very liquidy, so there isn't much of a chance that it will ooze over the edges immediately. I just put the masking tape there to to stop it it in case it falls over or something later; it's easier to get the silicon into shape without the masking tape dam.

#311432 Simple and Durable Plunger Head Padding

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 18 February 2012 - 05:08 PM in Modifications

I don't get how this is padding? How is this any more, if any, more durable than craft foam or using part of a BBB arrow?

It adheres better to the plastic of the plunger head. Foam is made of cells right? Overtime, the impact between the head and the end of the tube will collapse those cells, making it less and less effective with each impact.

#322213 NJW10 - 10/20/12

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 04 October 2012 - 11:22 AM in Nerf Wars

You don't have to be on a MANL team to go right? I'm in.

#322813 NJW10 - 10/20/12

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 20 October 2012 - 06:51 AM in Nerf Wars

Sorry for the last minute post, but if anyone has slugs to sell, I'll need them.

I don't think anyone has time to to make extra slugs now.

#322171 NJW10 - 10/20/12

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 02 October 2012 - 04:55 PM in Nerf Wars

Yeah, NY Comic Con also. The weekend after that's open, right?

#322795 NJW10 - 10/20/12

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 19 October 2012 - 06:31 PM in Nerf Wars

Sure, what blaster are you using it with?

Pumpsnap.

#322801 NJW10 - 10/20/12

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 19 October 2012 - 07:11 PM in Nerf Wars

KaptainKrazy - Lucky for you, I have one that you can borrow. Provided you actually show. Bring a pvc stub as well.

DX - Pick up Lucy while you're at it. Enjoy your soon to be trip down.

It's gonna be muddy and most likely humid. Please try to get there around 9:45 so we can begin as soon as possible.

Don't worry, I'm actually coming. Is it okay if I show up at around 10:00-10:15?

#322793 NJW10 - 10/20/12

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 19 October 2012 - 06:25 PM in Nerf Wars

Last minute problem. Does anyone have a hopper that will work with one inch darts I could borrow?

#313540 Hyperfire: Removable Turret Mod

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 25 March 2012 - 08:26 PM in Modifications

That's really ingenienious! I have three hyperfires just lying around; too bad I can't get any range out of them.

#311513 Aerodynamics of Dart Heads

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 19 February 2012 - 10:17 PM in Darts and Barrels

Is this a computer program? And why is the first dart flattened on one side?

What software is this? And why do the darts appear as though they were drawn in MS paint?

Insan3 Crab, it's an iPad app.

Aeromech, because its drawing capabilities are very limited.

#311494 Aerodynamics of Dart Heads

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 19 February 2012 - 05:33 PM in Darts and Barrels

I was wondering what different shapes of dart heads will do to affect the airflow around dart. Here is a few diagrams:

Air Pressure Around a Glue Dome Stefan (Red is high pressure, blue is low)

Posted Image

Air Speed Around a Glue Doem (Red is faster, blue is slower)

Posted Image

Air Pressure Around Slug Dart

Posted Image

Air Speed Around Slug Dart

Posted Image

Air Pressure Around Theoretical Pointy Dart

Posted Image

Air Speed Around a Theoretical Pointy Dart

Posted Image

Feel free to comment things you want me to test, or maybe your observations.

#311516 N-STEN

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 19 February 2012 - 10:30 PM in Homemades

Very nice looking, but I am not sure where the catch is. Can you provide some more closeup pictures of the internals?

#322391 1.3g Silicone Dart Tips

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 09 October 2012 - 04:22 PM in Darts and Barrels

Use slingshot weights if you really want similar weight.

I'm guessing that he is looking for metal free.

To the OP, have you looked at KaneTheMediocre's work? He has some viable silicon dart making procedures.

#310446 Maverick AR Mod Question

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 31 January 2012 - 09:01 PM in Modifications

Put some form of padding on the end of the plunger (the end with the black ring):
Posted Image

#311183 POW! March: The "Our Wars Are Better Than Your Wars" War

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 14 February 2012 - 05:28 PM in Nerf Wars

Put me down as a maybe.

#312259 NiteFinder Spring catch

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 02 March 2012 - 03:28 PM in Modifications

Well, if it isn't strong enough, repeated misfires can degrade your catch. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

#310121 Vulcan "Voltage", a 440 Volt Chain-Fed Coil Gun

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 25 January 2012 - 08:55 PM in Off Topic

Reasons Why You Might Be Banned:
1)This is a Nerf forum, not a free-America-from-the-capitalist-scum forum.
2)Creating devices that fire lethal projectiles is illegal.
3)It sounds dangerous as hell.

#312482 EPVAT-Effeminate PVAT

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 05 March 2012 - 04:14 PM in Homemades

Holy crap, that thing look pretty damn powerful. If you had to guess, what would be the PSi in there when it's full?

#322265 Parents and Nerf

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 07 October 2012 - 07:05 AM in Off Topic

I have been modding blasters for over three years now, and my parents have been ok with that. Unfortunately, when I made glue dome stefans, that went over the line, and they threw all of those out. I have been making slugs since, which they're ok with. I really want to go to one of the local nerfwars (NJW), but I'm not entirely certain how to convince them to take me without just getting denied instantly. I'm fourteen and the war is about 20 minutes away; any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#322276 Parents and Nerf

Posted by KaptainKrazy on 07 October 2012 - 10:42 AM in Off Topic

You should respect your parent's decision. You are living in their house so you just have to accept whatever they decide.

It's not that they have made a desicion yet, it's just that I don' know how to approach them about it. I'm guessing I'll only have one shot at it.