Vinnie D's Content

There have been 97 items by Vinnie D (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#254847 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Vinnie D on 29 October 2009 - 01:50 AM in Modifications

I'm calling it "Leviathan"

Integrated added RSCB, integrated NF w/speedloader, obvious shell mods, added double action mini bike pump. Swappable barrels allow it to fire a 5 dart shotgun, the titan missile, and a 3 dart shotgun concealed under the titan missile. There's also a mini flashlight in the nitefinder because I've been sticking flashlights in everything lately.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#252557 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Vinnie D on 04 October 2009 - 03:45 AM in Modifications

I updated the Hydra and have dubbed it the NeoHydra. it now features a 4 shot RSCB, improvements to the pump grip for the SSPB fixing some misfiring problems with said SSPB, a few cosmetic fixes, and adding a flashlight to that big chunk of dead space between the main and NF barrels.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#257279 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Vinnie D on 26 November 2009 - 02:52 AM in Modifications

Posted Image
A rather old mod of mine. The recon there has a CPVC barrel carved to fit together tightly with the stock breech. It still needs a lot of air to fire, and only the titan displaces enough to do it. It gets 180' with filled streamlines and pierces cardboard. Never did get around to painting it. It's more of a screw around with gun than anything else.

Posted Image
Based on Riff's laser from Sluggy Freelance. http://sluggy.com
Ranges are terrible, but it's more a prop than any kind of performance gun.

#264408 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Vinnie D on 05 February 2010 - 02:59 AM in Modifications

My humble Wall O nerf
Posted Image

#271059 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Vinnie D on 02 April 2010 - 04:01 AM in Modifications

Posted Image
My first mod. I brought it back out of retirement and fixed it up with a better seal, better barrel, and coupler. The light has been replaced with more dart storage. Since it stores 9 darts in total, and has a rather Luger like profile I opted to name it "Red 9".

Posted Image
A rebarrelled Tek 3. It takes a hacksaw to get the barrels off, but it's worth it for the improved range. It may have a tiny plunger but the spring in that thing is pretty strong for something so tiny. An ideal assassin gun.

#267985 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Vinnie D on 04 March 2010 - 05:35 AM in Modifications

Some quick stuff.

A Tommy 20 from a 2 pack at half price at target. It's been sawed off, and the battery compartment relocated. The AA power source has been replaced with a 9v power source. Consistently shoots 40' now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also while I'm at it...

Modded a tetrastrike. Shoots a good 45' and is full from just 4 pumps, 5 if you want to push it. Sadly the top chamber leaks sometimes. I think something is caught in the valve and it's not closing all the way. Also removed the trigger spring for a lighter pull that helps to feel the clicks in the progressive trigger. The barrels aren't perfectly aligned, but that gives it a nice spread.
Posted Image

And does the world really need another pistol splat? Gets 60' and jams if I don't have perfect steffans in it.
Posted Image

#229139 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Vinnie D on 09 May 2009 - 03:35 AM in Modifications

My trusty recon, which I've dubbed "Recon Regenerate," because the first recon died in production, and was reborn using parts from a second recon. Aside from the paint job, I've done the following to it.
Pen mod to reduce dead space, powerstock-like mod built into the plunger cover, by using a long cover with a short plunger to create enough space to embed a nitefinder spring for more power. Basically a power stock while allowing it to remain in pistol configuration. Because of the increased spring power I doubled the catch spring to hold it. I've also removed all locks, shortened the trigger stroke, shaved down the boltsled a little for smoother ammo progression, and lubed up the clip spring. It pretty much never jams now.

I also put a white LED book light into the dead space below the barrel. It's great for illumination and blinding. Also those dayglo orange darts really light up at night, making shots look quite cool.Lastly the handle is weighted a little for better balance. Also made for it a Duct Tape holster with extra clip pouch.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'd post a full writup except that at this point, I have no intention of opening it again, so no internals.

#254922 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Vinnie D on 30 October 2009 - 02:38 AM in Modifications

My assassin guns. First a fairly clean pistol styled SSPB.
Posted Image

Then Fugly but effective double barrel.
Posted Image

#220110 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Vinnie D on 27 March 2009 - 04:12 AM in Modifications

The Hydra. Its base is a purple BBB. I combined the Nitefinder replacing front handle mod, with the SSPB in nitefinder integration giving me 3 barrels up front, and Integrated a Wii Switch Shot where the scope once was., and a recon stock reinforced with PVC, along with some cosmetic mods and ammo holders on each side.

The mods to each gun are as follows. Nitefinder is a simple AR removal and crayola barrel with SSPB integration. The SSPB is an AR removal and barrel mod. There's a ring of ground down CPVC inside the barrel giving it a slightly better seal. The Switch Shot has had AR removal, rebarreled with CPVC, and added a mav spring for more kick. new trigger mech too, using a string run to a ring next to the BBB trigger allowing me to fire either without moving my hands.

The BBB has been rebarrelled with CPVC and a breech loader added. The barrel has a little chunk of the original barrel as an endcap allowing it to still fire arrows. lastly I've added a rifle sling for quick switching to a side arm should I need more than 4 shots.

It's my best work to date and my only complete paint job. It was quite labor intensive since most of it had to be done by hand.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#260913 Longstrike Cs-6 Revealed

Posted by Vinnie D on 06 January 2010 - 06:53 AM in General Nerf

I'm thinking it looks like a wider inverted plunger. Inverted isn't so bad, if it displaces enough air. You could probably use a length of PVC added to the back to add a nice big spring behind the tube. Lots of air displaced at high velocity could lead to some good ranges. Not as good as the longshot.

The thing about inverted plungers is they work best when the barrel is set inside the plunger its self. Thus all of the air in the plunger is acting directly on the dart. The eliminator did this well. The problem comes when you put the barrel out in front, so instead the air in the plunger is displaced into the inner plunger, and in turn displaces the air in the inner plunger plus the difference in inner diameter between the inverted plunger and the inner plunger and that acts on the dart.

If that were water instead of air, it would be pretty potent. But air compresses, so that inner plunger instead becomes dead space. Area over which the air can just compress and sit there rather than act on the dart. Of course the air will still try to decompress back to 1 atmosphere and then act on the dart, (the principal behind air powered guns), but at the pressures a springer creates that's not nearly as much force as just violently throwing a plunger full of air at the dart. Spring additions help a little by forcing the air through more quickly, and hopefully pushing the dart forward before the air can compress, and dead space removal can force the air into a tighter space creating more pressure, but at the same time reduces the efficiency of airflow.

Even still, bigger plunger tube means more air displaced, and that in its self is a good thing. I personally like the recon. not its plunger setup, but rather its ability to break down into a pistol. If you treat the recon as a pistol, rather than a light rifle, you understand its strength is being the smallest clip system gun, making it an ideal sidearm. That's the very reason I didn't pick up the Raider. No ability to break down into a pistol configuration.

The Longstrike compared to those might be either a heavy pistol. Stronger than the recon, but still in pistol territory, or it could be a light rifle. Note, while it's as long as the longshot it does look lighter, and it's definitely less bulky. For top ranges it won't beat out the longshot, but it might have its own place an intermediary between the pure range, longshot, and the lighter, recon.

#261338 Longstrike Cs-6 Revealed

Posted by Vinnie D on 10 January 2010 - 03:35 AM in General Nerf

Now I'm starting to wonder why the box makes identical range claims to the Longshot. Either there's a stronger spring, or the AR is smaller. That plunger tube is pretty disappointing really. It might be longer, but the width is clearly the same as the recon.

However it looks like there's room enough for Longshot guts in there. It's such a nice shell, it deserves better internals than that. Recon plungers are fine in a Recon, but don't try to pass them off as a longshot.

#260914 Deploy Cs-6 Sneak Peek

Posted by Vinnie D on 06 January 2010 - 06:57 AM in General Nerf

I like the looks of it so far. The ability to collapse into a more portable package, is a plus for transporting it. Might be a good assassin gun, with the aid of a backpack. I see modding potential. Slap a maglite, a halogen bulb or some strong LEDs in there for a blinder. I like putting flashlights in my guns anyway.

The whole transforming aspect appeals to me. If nothing else this could be a fun screwing around with gun.

#260989 Deploy Cs-6 Sneak Peek

Posted by Vinnie D on 06 January 2010 - 07:09 PM in General Nerf

I'm willing to bet the stock is spring loaded, but that does look like the firing spring there. I don't doubt it has the same guts as a recon, just different shell features. From the looks of it, the recon is still capable of being smaller as a pistol, but the collapsing feature kind of reminds me of the expand a blast only much beefier. Not as compact as the recon, but still more portable than the raider, and the ability to fold away the handle will mean it can be stored more easily (thus the previous backpack suggestion.

I usually bring a messenger bag to work with me (I'm an artist on the side so I draw during my lunch break), so I could probably fit this thing in there and really step up my assassin game. Sure beats the SSPB for that. I think that may be the purpose of the gun here. There is more to a gun after all than just its range. One has to consider portability, handling, capacity, and other features as well.

The only regretable thing is that unlike the recon and raider, this thing doesn't look like you can do a spring addition as the stock is already quite busy, and there probably isn't room for a PVC extension to hold a spring, without locking up its collapsible feature. Though it also looks like it might have more room inside, so maybe it'll open up the possibility of respringing it, or maybe a bungee.

If nothing else, it looks fun for indoor use where ranges aren't as big of an issue.

#212366 What Guns Do You Use?

Posted by Vinnie D on 15 February 2009 - 02:27 AM in General Nerf

Right now I like using my Big Bad Bow, singled with a breech, nitefinder in the front handle, and a pocket blaster integrated into the nitefinder, lastly a Switch shot in the scope, with a reinforced recon stock on the back. I call it the Hydra. Yes it's a bunch of guns slapped on a BBB but it's pretty effective.

For a secondary I use a recon stripped down to the pistol. A nice clean clip fed sidearm, you can't beat the recon.

For indoor, I'm working on a longshot as a primary, but it's still incomplete. Until then, the same recon with a powerstock, is my primary with a maverick as a sidearm.

#228749 Plastic Safe Lubricants

Posted by Vinnie D on 07 May 2009 - 05:51 AM in General Nerf

Oh, thanks a ton. That's a huge relief actually. I was thinking that it just ate translucent plastics much like the fumes of superglue do.

#227820 Plastic Safe Lubricants

Posted by Vinnie D on 03 May 2009 - 01:50 AM in General Nerf

I've been trying some silicon lubricant spray (applies like WD40), to good end. Just let me warn you not to use it on, or near clear or translucent plastics. It makes a sticky cloudy mess. Discovered this while lubing up the axle of my Yoyo (another of my hobbies). Thankfully I only hit the inside so no cosmetic damage done and it doesn't seem to hurt the performance. The ball bearings now spin like never before by the way, so it does lube well.

#280913 Stampede Official Nerf Demo Coverage

Posted by Vinnie D on 21 July 2010 - 09:44 PM in General Nerf

The vulcan still does kind of fill a niche in a way. the 25 shot belt is still more than the stampede's extended clips (not sure if the stampede will work with a drum, that might throw the timing off). So if you just need a long stream of automatic fire it might be functional. Plus I still like its overall look. Maybe not a functional gun but it certainly is a fun type of gun.

With an expanded ammo box, and doubled chains, and a plug in mod, the vulcan can still function as a stationary emplacement. Though the Stampede is certainly a sturdier and more mobile kind of gun. I'd say it fills the role of a machine gun. Light and high rate of fire, while the Vulcan is a stationary machine gun, big, heavy and high capacity.

Though it seems most of the N-strike series is centered around the idea of every gun being just slightly different, to fill different niches. Like the Alpha Trooper which is basically a more balanced raider at the cost of smaller capacity, or the Deploy which is a good light secondary weapon. Not as light as a pistol recon, but the pump grip gives it better handling, for a higher rate of fire.

Still the Stampede does look like a solid weapon for those who love high rate of fire. I do wonder about modding potential. Outside of minimization I don't see much you can do without messing it up. I'm hoping this means that Vulcans go on clearance. I've been meaning to pick one up on the cheap to screw around with.

#276022 N-strike Barrel Break Ix-2

Posted by Vinnie D on 26 May 2010 - 03:10 AM in News

Actually if it functions like the reflex and eliminator (as the IX name implies) then a reverse plunger would be good for it, since the dart barrel would be inside the plunger tube, and thus applying the entirety of the air displacement to the dart (no dead space). If it works like that it could blow the double shot out of the water, as long as the price stays reasonable. More air displacement, no shells.

I can already see sawing it down a little more, modding it for steffans (possibly a coupler involved), and having a great side arm out of it. Though compared to that it looks like more of just for fun kind of gun, though those I can appreciate in their own right.

#254859 Nerf N-strike Longstrike Cs-6 - Preview!

Posted by Vinnie D on 29 October 2009 - 02:06 PM in General Nerf

So far I'm liking the look of it. It seems to be a longshot with a lighter, easier to handle design and a lower price point, not to mention a better location for the priming handle. I'm pretty sure it's a longshot with a new shell, but without pixel by pixel comparison to the longshot (using the priming handle as a judge for scale) I couldn't say if it has the same draw length.

Hopefully the internals are a little less complicated than the longshot.

#246676 Raider Cs-35: Overview / Overhaul

Posted by Vinnie D on 12 August 2009 - 02:50 AM in Modifications

To fix your fishtailing problem, at least judging from doing the same with a recon, you can weight those darts for starters. Streamlines are easy to mod. Slit the hole slightly wider, pop a BB or other weight of choice in there, and fill with hot glue. If you're going cheap, you can just fill with hot glue, but the BB helps.

Consider changing out the barrel on the front. Those faux barrels like the ones in the longshot and recon actually screw up air dynamics on the dart and throw it off. CPVC is too tight, but PVC or copper should stabalize the flight a little. I haven't tried with PVC, but my longshot works well with copper, though it does cost you a few feet in range, the accuracy improvement might be worth it.

#280296 Humans Vs Zombies Recommended Weapons

Posted by Vinnie D on 15 July 2010 - 04:48 AM in General Nerf

Sorry I should have mentioned about the Belt Blaster, that you should drum mod it. It's as easy as cutting two holes in a tupperware container and using a bit of velcro to affix it to the bottom of the gun. The chain feeds out of the container and keeps your chain from dangling, breaking, or clattering.

If melee is allowed, consider adding a bayonet to your gun. Not having to holster the gun and draw your blade can be a life saver, but that goes for any nerf game that allows for melee.

#280198 Humans Vs Zombies Recommended Weapons

Posted by Vinnie D on 14 July 2010 - 04:31 AM in General Nerf

Melee seems fair if the zombies can use it too. You'd still have to score a hit first.

Personally I like the Buzzbee Belt Blaster. HvZ is all about capacity, and you can't argue with 30 shots. Raiders and other clip fed guns are also good, but all of them have the potential to jam, so keep a side arm handy. Maverick or a tek 6 is good for that since they're simpler revolver designs.

#203762 I Have A Recon Dream...

Posted by Vinnie D on 16 January 2009 - 03:02 AM in Modifications

I don't see why there's so much denial over the recon doing 50 and 60 feet. Mine shoots a reliable 50 feet on a cold night, and it was only my second mod. It has the following mods relevant to range.

Barrel extension is fitted with copper pipe. (Proved to be a bad idea. it improves accuracy a bit but does nothing for range. Copper seems to be too high on friction.)

AR removal, Spring Compression, and power stock (using a nitefinder spring). Mind you if I don't use the barrel extension it's wildly inaccurate, and because I didn't do anything to reinforce the catch or trigger it sometimes won't cock, and jams frequently. Still the point is that it gets 50 feet. Not that it makes the thing practical, and I've long since replaced it with a BBB as a primary. The 50 foot range seems to be standard fair. It could be a decent secondary if the jamming issue were resolved and the fishtailing could be fixed. I think a little modding to the breech could do it.

It could be a primary for indoor wars where range isn't an issue, and it gives you a more compact clip fed solution than the bulkier longshot.

#223533 The Avenger (a Nitemanta With Added Awesomeness

Posted by Vinnie D on 14 April 2009 - 03:20 AM in Modifications

Wouldn't it be simple to just use that T joint as a coupler and rig up a speed loader? Then just glue a dowel between the two priming handles to make one big priming handle (or run a lanyard like the double maverick) and connect the triggers with a chunk of plexiglass or scrap plastic. Then it should be pretty functional.

If you want to get crazy with it you could attach a handle to the side to improve your aim, though that would make the whole rig bulkier.

#264036 Finding A Blaster For A Friend In A Power Chair.

Posted by Vinnie D on 01 February 2010 - 05:28 AM in General Nerf

If you go with a magstrike or a powerclip, band the piston to slow down the rate of fire, to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#223339 The Avenger (a Nitemanta With Added Awesomeness

Posted by Vinnie D on 13 April 2009 - 01:08 AM in Modifications

Well it certainly looks nice, but if you'd done them side by side instead of manta style you'd have gotten a lot less dead space. Though it probably wouldn't have looked quite as good. Also is that barrel long enough to really take advantage of the extra air displacement? But again it does at least look cool if nothing else.

#263771 Finding A Blaster For A Friend In A Power Chair.

Posted by Vinnie D on 30 January 2010 - 06:04 AM in General Nerf

Does this thing have an electrical outlet on it anywhere? I'm thinking of a plug in mod on two vulcans and go to town. Alternately Magstrikes with an air compressor. He'd be great at rushing if he can hit some decent speeds in that thing. Essentially the "OH SHIT" mobile. When you see him coming, raining down hundreds of darts, you can only declare "OH SHIT!" and hope to outrange him before you get inside his kill radius.

#284907 New Shields?

Posted by Vinnie D on 06 September 2010 - 02:22 AM in General Nerf

The stonewall is a decent shield in its self, but to balance things out, if someone is carrying a stonewall they should also occupy one of their weapon "slots" with the accompanying mini sword. If you for instance allow 3 weapons, a primary, a sidearm, and a melee, then they couldn't have a marauder with the shield. Perhaps even go as far as making the shield occupy another slot.

The best way to handle the stampede shield on the stampede would probably just be to not count gun hits when it's equipped. Though the shield its self would be more mobile if placed on a sidearm, so it's more the user trading off between the two advantages.

I'm in agreement that heavy ammo (arrows, missles, balls) should count as hits when they hit a shield, essentially making them shield piercers in function. And it gives people an excuse to use bigger ammo (that some of us plain find more fun. I like arrows myself.)

#265837 Reverse Plunger Dead Space Killing Method

Posted by Vinnie D on 18 February 2010 - 04:23 AM in Modifications

I did something similar a while back though I used the shaft of a pen and hot glue instead. The results are about the same either way. More pressure with reduction of dead space but with reduced airflow due to higher resistance. It doesn't seem to change performance with the stock spring. If you powerstock it though you should see an improvement in performance.

This mod sounds easier though, and I'll probably use it next time I'm working on a reverse plunger.

#232176 Dremel Accident

Posted by Vinnie D on 24 May 2009 - 03:08 AM in General Nerf

Eye protection when both playing and modding nerf. The safety glasses are uber cheap too, so no excuses. I just keep mine right next to my dremel, so there's no forgetting.

I personally cut with a diamond edge steel cutting wheel. It was kind of pricy but it flies right through plastic, is more durable, and doesn't leave as much of a rough edge as the cheap ones. Goes through metal too, though I don't cut metal often and have a pipe cutter that handles that anyway.

Anyway. No excuses. Take the extra half second to slap those safety glasses onto your face.

#275283 N-strike Alpha Trooper Cs-18

Posted by Vinnie D on 19 May 2010 - 06:18 AM in General Nerf

This one is really pushing the idea of slight variations in handling. I can see the uses for a Recon, Raider, or Deploy in terms of different handling. The recon is a light pistol, and the smallest gun to use the clip system, the raider has rapid fire, and a huge capacity, and the deploy has that nice collapsing feature putting it somewhere between the portability of the recon, and the rapid fire of the raider. (and the longstrike just plain looks good).

But this thing is kind of just the raider with a smaller drum and a different grip. In terms of pure function it's identical. I can only see it being useful if you just plain find the raider to be uncomfortable. Shotgun grip instead of vertical grip, and vertical clip instead of horizontal.

I do kind of like the 18 shot mini drum though. It's a nice middle ground between raw capacity, and lighter easier handling. I do wish Hasbro would stop pushing the drums as the gun's selling point and just sell the drums on their own though.

Anyway, the Alpha Trooper looks nice and might have improved handling over the raider, but it doesn't really bring anything new to the table, just tweaks what already exists. That might not be a bad thing though.

#229138 Spring Powered Nerf Pocket Scatter (s.p.n.p.s.)

Posted by Vinnie D on 09 May 2009 - 02:19 AM in Modifications

Man, these look great for assassin games. Maybe not so much for offense, but as a defensive measure when you're the target, it would be awesome. When you see someone pull a SSPB or a minimized Nitefinder, you quickly scattershot and run. Even if they don't land a hit, that many darts coming their way would gorce your opponent to at least duck.

Maybe for a grenade function, consider some kind of break way pin. Turn it to firing position, with only a small fragile pin (maybe a toothpick) keeping it from firing, so that an impact is all it takes to break or dislodge the pin.

Even better if you could make a battery of these things, and rig them with a pull cord or a tripwire. Nerf Mines. I see integration possibilities as well. Just like those 20mm airburst guns built into the U.N.'s assault rifles.

#229143 Spring Powered Nerf Pocket Scatter (s.p.n.p.s.)

Posted by Vinnie D on 09 May 2009 - 04:41 AM in Modifications

I'm not familiar enough with the workings myself really, so it was just a vague idea. Sorry.

#262691 Big Bad Bow, Rapid Fire20, Rapid Fire20

Posted by Vinnie D on 22 January 2010 - 01:29 AM in Modifications

A bit of advice. RF20's hate bike pumps. I tried 3 before settling on the Bell dual action frame mump for mine and the end result is that since it's the same width as the RF20's pump and shorter, the dual action results in it taking the exact same number of pumps to fill. It's not really worth the effort aside from the pump being a bit sturdier.

Wider pumps won't work. You have to exert the force necessary to not only compress air (as in with a hard tank) but also to expand the bladder, which is the same amount of physical work involved as trying to stretch the rubber by pulling on it. Thin pumps work since they displace small volumes of air at a time. Wider once simply will reach a point where you can't physically fill the thing against the resistance it causes. I know from experience. A full pump I couldn't fill the thing without putting it on the ground. A ball pump worked but was still harder to pump and ended up being slower. Just using both RF20 pumps linked might be a better idea.

#262571 Big Bad Bow, Rapid Fire20, Rapid Fire20

Posted by Vinnie D on 20 January 2010 - 11:11 PM in Modifications

I'd suggest a quick cheap way to improve that would be to link those two pumps on the RF20's. A short length of pipe or maybe a T coupler so you can attach a central handle would allow you to pump both at once. Though if you've plugged the OPVs on them you'll have to expend both before repumping, but it might be worth it for half the pumping time.

If you connect the two bladders to one another via an additional tube, then you could eliminate that problem as well since overflow from one tank would just run back into the tank with less air.

#269068 Doubled Recon With Twin Drums

Posted by Vinnie D on 13 March 2010 - 08:48 PM in Modifications

I keep looking at that sawed off Raider and I can't figure out how you prime it. So where did you move it to?

#237064 The Guns You Don't Use Anymore

Posted by Vinnie D on 18 June 2009 - 02:41 AM in General Nerf

Not counting the ones in the "to mod" pile, I usually don't use my Nitefinder. It's a good gun, and my first mod, but my recon has replaced it as a pistol, and it's too bulky to be a tertiary, still I like it too much to cut down any more, so it stays as a display gun. Though I have a second Nitefinder integrated into my BBB that sees plenty of use.

I'd say the only other gun I don't use at all is my Hornet. It's pretty much a one trick pony. It can shoot one guy six times. I modded it into a spread fire, plugged the pump and used Ts to double the firing capacity for a wide spread. Still a one trick pony, and good luck finding those 12 darts shot in 12 directions. It's being used for parts now.

I almost never touch my Maverick anymore, for the same reason as the Nitefinder, my Recon outperforms it in every category. Though friends enjoy messing around with it due to the revolver aspect.

#218692 Singled Recon?

Posted by Vinnie D on 18 March 2009 - 08:53 PM in Modifications

If you're going to single something, single the longshot. The Recon's strength is its clip feed mechanism, allowing for high rate of fire, and faster reloading. The whole reason people hate the Recon is they keep trying to make it a primary, and a primary it is not. It's a pistol, a secondary. It out ranges the Maverick, and reloads faster, that's its strength.

To single it would destroy its only real value. You CAN do it if you want to, but the only reason to do it would be entirely out of experimentation to see if it can be done.

If you do want to use the recon build yourself a holster, get a second clip, consider making a hi-cap clip, remove the locks and safeties, put a second spring in the catch, and work on improving reliability rather than range. It's one of those guns you have to come at from a different angle. If you just think of range mods you'll be doing yourself a disservice.

#235385 The Gemini

Posted by Vinnie D on 10 June 2009 - 01:44 AM in Modifications

Was this by chance inspired by the pistol in Batman: Face the Face? It's very reminiscent of the pistol used to commit the double headshot murders.

#217424 The Use Of Duct Tape In Nerfing...

Posted by Vinnie D on 11 March 2009 - 01:19 AM in Modifications

Yeah I use the same method (sticky out then sticky in) to make stuff. Thanks to this thread I whipped up a nice new holster for my recon (my side arm of choice).

And actually it is Duck Tape now. The company that makes it changed the name a few years back. It was never good for duct work anyway. Though I believe Duct tape would be the name most generic brands would use. I should be more observant when buying.