J51Mustang's Content

There have been 13 items by J51Mustang (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#356935 Best blaster to Mod (fully auto) with PLENTY of space?

Posted by J51Mustang on 28 November 2016 - 11:47 PM in Modifications

If you are willing to do that, you could probably just switch the potentiometer for an spdt switch like the ones used in nerf blasters normally. I've never tried it, but it might work. Someone should be able to back me up (or not) on this.

The only problem with this is that if I replace the potentiometer with a button, the ESC's have a saftey that will prevent the motors from spinning up. The ESC's need a pulse that tells them to increase the motor's rpm incrementally rather then a signal telling them to increase the motors to full rpm all of a sudden. For example, if you plug in a lipos to a power system of an rc plane or quadcopter etc, and you bind the transmitter and receiver with the throttle stick at a position besides zero throttle, the motors will not spin up to prevent any accidents. Sorry for my bad sentence structure and grammar as it's midnight and I'm tired.

#356971 Best blaster to Mod (fully auto) with PLENTY of space?

Posted by J51Mustang on 01 December 2016 - 12:35 PM in Modifications

I thought that the safety in ESC's was designed so that if the throttle was applied instantly, then the ESC would deliver power incrimentally (or as fast as it could). Either way, your original plan should work. You might even want to try a slide potentiometer to avoid the gearing situation

They make those?

#356915 Best blaster to Mod (fully auto) with PLENTY of space?

Posted by J51Mustang on 28 November 2016 - 10:07 AM in Modifications

You can use a servo tester instead. It requires no coding you just need to hook it up to ESC's. The only downside is that now your trigger is a potentiometer and you need to twist to fire.

This is the one I have. It seems they don't make it anymore but it might fit better so you might want to find something similar.

I can use a servo tester and still use a button to spin up the motors. All I have to do is unsolder the potentiometer and extend its length by soldering it to wires, then replace the knob with a gear so that when I push the modified button it turns the potentiometer. I'll also have a spring in there somewhere so when I release the button the potentiometer rotates to its original position.

#356851 Best blaster to Mod (fully auto) with PLENTY of space?

Posted by J51Mustang on 24 November 2016 - 12:25 AM in Modifications

Trying to choose a reasonably cheap fully auto dart blaster to mod. It will need to have lots of empty space as I am planning on moding whatever I find that's fully auto to a brushless setup, therefore I would need room for Lipo's, ESC's, wiring, room for slightly larger motors, somehow fit transmitter guts and a receiver cuz i can't code for life, etc. Debating between Hyperfire, Rapidstrike, and Buzz Bee Brute, but any other suggestions will be helpful!

#356849 Gun computer MkIV

Posted by J51Mustang on 24 November 2016 - 12:18 AM in Modifications

I was thinking of modding a hyperfire with a brushless motor setup similar to how Eli Wu modded a Rayven (link to youtube vid where he was featured: ) and got it to shoot an astounding 180 fps. It is quite interesting how he used outrunner brushless motors as flywheels.

#353201 Homemade Crazy, Complex, and Pointless Designs

Posted by J51Mustang on 02 May 2016 - 09:37 PM in Homemades

I would like to start a thread on wacky and complex homemade nerf gun designs. I have some that may work or would just be pointless, but here are mine anyway. 

1. Fully Auto LOUD Pulse jet nerf blaster
this one is a bit ridiculous, where you build a valveless pulse jet and stick the feeder onto the exhaust, and some insulation to prevent your skin to be burned, but imagine having a fully auto nerf gun that uses only some fuel and physics (with extremley loud noises)

2. Fully auto brushless motor nerf blaster
now, nerf has made guns like this, but semi auto. I was thinking getting two brushless motors (outrunners for less noise and higher rpms, inrunners for more torque), attach some flywheels, and a spring loaded dart feeder. This will be noisy (not as noisy as the pulse jet idea) but expensive and might not perform well, but will definitely be fun.

3. musket style nerf gun (using some alternative to gunpowder)
this will be dangerous, potentially slightly illegal if using gunpowder, slow reload times, pointless, fun, and a slight chance of malfunction resulting in an explosion blowing off big chunks of your skin. This thing is simple. Single shot. This thing is practically a musket, except built out of PVC and fires foam darts. 

Post your inventive, pointless, dangerous, illegal, expensive, crazy, explosive, and complex designs here. Lets see if anyone can get a design to actually work!

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

http://nerfhaven.com...concept-thread/

#354143 How much psi per shot?

Posted by J51Mustang on 12 June 2016 - 01:56 PM in General Nerf

Before I get started, I want to make it clear (so that i don't get another warning or banned from the forums ;)) that I AM NOT trying to propose a new idea for a homemade nerf gun. I am trying to do some research before building one and had a question but I can't seem to find an answer through google so here it is:

About how much psi is needed to propel a foam bullet around 300 fps? By foam bullet I mean any type of nerd dart (homemade, or stock) that can actually get up to 300 fps without destroying itself while at the same time being accurate and safe. Are there any ways I could calculate how much psi I would need to propel a round of that type at a given fps myself?

Any helpful answers will be appreciated. Thanks!

#356934 Rate of Fire mod for Rapidstrike?

Posted by J51Mustang on 28 November 2016 - 11:31 PM in Modifications

Do you have a link to the motors. If you do, that way we might be able to help you find a solution. Other than that you could run your pusher on a separate battery pack. 4-6s is kinda excessive 2-3s is more normal

I think I'll just use a separate power source from the flywheel power source to keep things simple.

#356918 Rate of Fire mod for Rapidstrike?

Posted by J51Mustang on 28 November 2016 - 11:35 AM in Modifications

180's will increase the maximum torque output. This will increase the range of sustained fire, due to the spinning parts having more mass.

Increasing the voltage will increase the speed at which the motors spin, increasing initial range and rate of fire. That's why Rapidstrikes with a 3S LiPo (2x normal voltage) can spit out darts faster than a Magstrike.

I'm planning on using a 4-6s lipos since I'm going to be using brushless motors, so can I limit the voltage going to the pusher to the equivalent of a 3s (11.1 volts)

#356916 Rate of Fire mod for Rapidstrike?

Posted by J51Mustang on 28 November 2016 - 10:13 AM in Modifications

So I want to Mod a Rapidstrike and from what I've seen on google most people, in order to increase the rate of fire, increase the voltage or something like that. Can I change the motors to 180's instead and use the same voltage? What are the ways to mod the rate of fire on a Rapidstrike besides changing the voltage?

#354243 Recommended/estimated weight of a stefan constructed for best performa

Posted by J51Mustang on 15 June 2016 - 07:19 PM in Darts and Barrels

Here is another question that I have that I, again, cannot find the answer to on nerfhaven or through google. The closest thing to what I would consider to be an answer would be ryan201821's post on dart weight regulation/range testing. (http://nerfhaven.com...srange-testing/)

What is the estimated weight of a stefan dart that has been constructed for the best performance. Would they weigh any more than 3-4 grams?

#354398 Rifling in Nerf Guns

Posted by J51Mustang on 20 June 2016 - 06:06 PM in Darts and Barrels

I've used my friend's modified nerf stryfe, which has the plastic rifling groves in the barrel. There were some noticeable affects on the darts, like the fact that they sometimes spiraled in flight and sometimes curved in similar directions. My theory is that the rifling, though not affecting range or accuracy, is sometimes causing the Magnus effect on the darts. Idk if this is possible, but this is what I think.

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Necro

#354586 Town and PD sanctioning nerf wars, etc.

Posted by J51Mustang on 26 June 2016 - 09:46 PM in Nerf Wars

So, my dad had second thoughts about me attending an upcoming nerf war (the one in Connecticut on July 2nd in Norwalk (it would be my first time going to one)). He questioned me about the safety and this nerfing community, then he went on about the police getting involved, property owners and liability issues if someone got injured, and the towns sanctioning nerfing. He was worried that someone, especially in this day and age, would report people shooting each other, resulting in people being arrested, possibly SWAT teams, etc. I mean, I see why he is worried, but I would think nerfing is a pretty safe hobby, safer than airsoft and paintball, and towns and police departments wouldn't care that much. So I am asking any people here, like Duxburian and Langley, who organize nerf wars and started this nerfing community, if the property owners of the area of the wars that take place know of these events, and if towns and police departments have sanctioned nerfing? What takes place when organizing a war and do towns, PD, and property owners even care? Should they care? I'm sorry for this guys, but I don't think any of us want the town or police to be involved. Have the police ever been involved with nerf-related activites? Any helpful answers will be appreciated.