PissBacon's Content

There have been 174 items by PissBacon (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#64550 Youre Computer Specs

Posted by PissBacon on 28 September 2005 - 11:59 PM in Off Topic

AMD 64 3000+ (Venice, OC'ed)
BFG VNF4 nfofo s.939 (Don't buy this board)
OCZ modstream 520w
Gigabyte Nvidia 6600GT
PQi 1 GB ultra-low latency
Seagate Barracuda 120GB SATA
HP DVD640I (litescribe capable)
Zalman VF700-Cu and CNPS9500 LED (used to be CNPS 7700-Cu)
Antec P180 (original fans and ducts stripped)
3 x Nexus 120mm (manual voltage)
Hyundai Imagequest L90D+ 19''
No tacky lights, stickers, windows; just silence.

EDIT: This is my desktop for anyone who cares (click on image for fullsize).

#64635 Youre Computer Specs

Posted by PissBacon on 29 September 2005 - 09:49 PM in Off Topic

Speaking of processor cores I earlier said I was upgrading to a AMD 4000+. Ayone know what the differences are between ones like Newcastle, Clawhammer, San Diego, Venice, Barton and which ones are better?

In general, the Venice revision of AMD processors are ideal, though if you aren't overclocking it doesn't matter too much.

hers what i got XPS
owned :w00t: 

Too bad Dell sells overpriced computers, like any other retailer.

Does anyone have a shuttle pc or similar form factor?

Slaya, that is just a modified windows shell. The shell is the gui part of windows, so really the start menu and all you see is easily substituted for something much cleaner. I've also chosen to not have icons clutter my desktop; the bar at the top has more than enough functionality. Currently I'm running the litestep shell using a nonstep theme, but there are tons of different shells and skins available. Be careful what you install though, some of the shells/skins have memory leaks (shivers).

I'd like to add it was only in the past few months I bought my computer; I tend to be thrifty and wait until parts are reasonably priced, instead of spending $700 on an effing graphics card.

#53372 Your Ride?

Posted by PissBacon on 24 April 2005 - 05:17 PM in Off Topic

What does the president have to do with high gas prices.

Yeah but you can't drive until we get a new president.

More importantly, how do high gas prices stop you from driving an efficient car?

edit: Sorry, I hadn't refreshed the page, and didn't see all the people who posted in between those first page posts. PS - Merlinski, why are you using an RX7's body if you're taking out the main engine system so you can do a bunch of stuff to it? Can't you just use the car with the good engine that comes with (like a Supra)?

#84027 Xp220

Posted by PissBacon on 30 June 2006 - 03:01 AM in Modifications

If you don't mind the size of the tank you have, you can always just put something solid in there and make sure it doesn't enter the rest of the gun. Something like plastic pellets or rocks comes to mind. It's an easy way to reduce the volume without worrying about being air-tight, as long as the material doesn't enter the valves or pipes.

After looking at pictures of the XP220 I realized that I've modded one before, though the results were very disappointing. It had to do with the trigger/valve which didn't open fast enough to let all the air out quickly. It's a squirt gun after all; it's supposed to release the pressure over time.

#83918 Xp220

Posted by PissBacon on 28 June 2006 - 07:35 AM in Modifications

You definitely want to reduce that tank size, unless you are utilizing all of the air volume you have. When I modded a storm 2000 a while ago, I put on a really long barrel since it's such a waste to push so much air through a short barrel. Even with the long barrel, I cut the tank size in half, still keeping incredible ranges. I'd like to know the barrel length you're using, but my general advice is reduce the tank size.

On a side note, I'm posting from Japan. Woot!

#62519 Wildfire Predetor Style

Posted by PissBacon on 24 August 2005 - 08:13 PM in Modifications

I also sujeste that since it would be 15 pounds on your shoulder, to use something a little smaller.

Hehe. Sorry, I had to laugh at this. Nerf guns are very very light. A fully loaded m4 weighs less than 10 lbs for comparison. I'm diggin' this idea though; I've got a couple spare wildfires laying around, but I'm not going to spend money on football gear, especially since I'd never use it otherwise and I wouldn't want to be seen wearing it. Maybe more of a paintball mask style thing with pressure tanks on the back.. hmm..

EDIT: By the way, in any design you have to be certain the whole thing will stay on your body snugly, or you will not be mobile at all. This means that the football gear idea isn't so bad (even though I won't use it) since with some duct tape, or dremel and bolting handiwork it would definitely keep the whole thing on the wearer (it would get pretty uncomfortable on a nice sunny day though; football players surely know this).

#52211 Where Can I Get Brass?

Posted by PissBacon on 11 April 2005 - 01:32 AM in General Nerf

You need to learn to use the search feature properly then (proper perameters), because there are plenty of topics about places where brass can be located. Just to give you a point in the right direction, it's sold at many hobby shops, as well as online stores. It can be hard to find, but try those places; most hardware stores don't carry brass.

#63902 What Other Sports Do You Do

Posted by PissBacon on 19 September 2005 - 12:48 AM in Off Topic

Uncle Hammer, not to question your skateboarding skills, but where did your shadow go?

As for me, year-round xc/track training.

#79951 What Is Your Favorite Mod?

Posted by PissBacon on 14 April 2006 - 03:28 PM in Modifications

The best mod is the mod you came up with and successfully performed yourself. I don't think I get more satisfaction modding than when I invent an original mod and do it myself.

#48158 What Guns Do You Take Into A War?

Posted by PissBacon on 27 February 2005 - 04:35 AM in General Nerf

I've gone with a RF20 and a WF20 before. Also have tried using my storm2000 with a TT side, or my imaginary powerclip.

#73287 Ways To Shoot A Dart.

Posted by PissBacon on 16 February 2006 - 01:18 AM in Homemades

electric/magnetic

I'm willing to bet at least one person here has heard of a gauss gun, where there is an inductor fed a high voltage pulse of electricity, causing a projectile to rapidly accelerate. With the right sort of (iron, cobalt, nickel) weight in the stefan, it could be projected at high speeds. It would require much more energy to fire a foam covered piece with high wind resistance than a dense solid slug, so making one you can easily move from place to place might not be realistic.

I've seen a lot of people posting ideas like alka-seltzer, but this and many others are just different ways of producing air pressure; there really aren't that many ways to propel a chunk of foam when all of the available methods are considered.

#76100 Virginia Tech's Crazy Monitor

Posted by PissBacon on 13 March 2006 - 11:34 PM in Off Topic

This setup looks absolutely amazing. It's too bad that Quake III only gets 30 fps max, but 10240x3072 is undeniably incredible. Think The Infinite Shindig has had a go at it?

#62527 Unkown Gun Mod(pics)

Posted by PissBacon on 25 August 2005 - 02:50 AM in Modifications

When I first saw the image, I really suspected it was a squirt gun (huge airtank), and that last picture confirmed it. It's got just about the right size tank for a squirt gun to nerf gun conversion; I had similar success with a storm 2000. By the way, I don't know if this was made clear, but the spring around tubig is commonly to prevent the tube from getting crushed, preventing airflow.

#34510 Tubing

Posted by PissBacon on 19 August 2004 - 06:21 PM in Homemades

Sorry I'm unsure of the origin of this aluminum. I've had about 12 feet of it in my garage for as long as I can remmeber. It's nice because it's so light, so I can add long barrels on without weight issues.

#34244 Tubing

Posted by PissBacon on 18 August 2004 - 01:19 AM in Homemades

What about aluminum? I've used it on 3 guns now and am working on another with it. I'm not sure the size it was listed as but it fits my 1/2 inch stefans perfectly.

#63895 Triple Pump Tubed At2k

Posted by PissBacon on 18 September 2005 - 11:52 PM in Modifications

It looks promising.

With the two extra pumps is it really tough to pump, or does it just have reasonable resistance? Also, I'm not sure how you've attached the two other pumps to the gun, but I would wonder if it is sturdy enough without tons of fastening to withstand the extra force of 3 pumps being used.

#53289 Track&field, Cross Country, Bicycling

Posted by PissBacon on 23 April 2005 - 07:13 PM in Off Topic

My basketball coach said I broke 2 minutes on this 800m drill that we did three times [my other times were a bit over 2]. That same day we ran a total of 15km "for fitness". I kept pace, and in fact lead the entire time, behind the coach of course.

Sub-2 minutes is awesome.

#53250 Track&field, Cross Country, Bicycling

Posted by PissBacon on 23 April 2005 - 12:35 AM in Off Topic

National rankings can be found on a variety of track websites. A good highschool track website is dyestat. Btw, my miletime = 5:35, still improving.

#47679 Toy Fair In New York Next Week

Posted by PissBacon on 21 February 2005 - 03:01 AM in General Nerf

The other one sounds like a PC knockoff.

Which gun looks like a PC knockoff? I really can't wait for a new PC since I dont want to buy one off of somebody. Also the guns that appear to be smaller clip RF20s look like they have big potential, and with 2 to a pack it could be some great dual wielding.

PS: Laser Tag
I know it's not nerf, but for people making homemade guns, it could be a nice shell.

#35017 Titan: The Most Powerful Nerf Gun Ever

Posted by PissBacon on 23 August 2004 - 09:00 PM in Modifications

Nice! I want to know the ranges once you put a barrel on it.

#35124 Titan, Too Much Power?

Posted by PissBacon on 25 August 2004 - 12:36 AM in Modifications

I'm not sure why some people didn't think the ranges possible, considering with similar hardware (modified squirt guns) ranges of 250ft were obtained. I think it's great and all that this has been done with a true nerf gun though.

#51803 Thinkgeek Gun- Something Familiar About This...

Posted by PissBacon on 06 April 2005 - 10:57 PM in Off Topic

I saw that too, recently. It was because of their april fools thing, I was browsing the site and saw it, along with a pretty nice repeating rubber band gun. The range and accuracy are debatable condsidering the ammunition; still, a great gun in theory.

#62619 The Ubs (universal Barrel System)

Posted by PissBacon on 27 August 2005 - 09:23 PM in Modifications

You must be rich to afford a foot or two of petg per shot while nerfing. It's an interesting concept, but wouldn't it be just as easy to have 1 removeable barrel and some darts, so you could just pop a dart in and put the barrel back on? It would be easier to carry than all that petg too. I do like the nested petg/brass though, and I've never seen a sawed-off lbb before; I just might try it.

#72281 The Sexbow 2.0

Posted by PissBacon on 04 February 2006 - 05:17 PM in Modifications

Drawing flames is an art, and a tough one at that.

The way you added color to the front handle on the bbb is great, I may have to do a little touch up on my bbb now that I've got some new ideas.

#51770 The New Nite Finder Color Scheme

Posted by PissBacon on 06 April 2005 - 07:34 PM in General Nerf

Oh yeah, I've seen pics. He took the internals from a crossbow and put them into his NF. It's got a brass breech barrel and a spring-clip. I think he powers it with pixie dust. I'm sorry, I'm tired.

Seriously, how would that work? The trigger mechanism is completely different on that plunger.

#62526 The Magvalve

Posted by PissBacon on 25 August 2005 - 02:37 AM in Modifications

The reason I had to use a maglite was because it could accomodate the o-rings. Since I don't own a lathe, I had no way of putting precise grooves into a piece of aluminum or other material; additionally I don't have any other materials that fit like this maglite does.

#62521 The Magvalve

Posted by PissBacon on 24 August 2005 - 09:28 PM in Modifications

I've been saving this post for a rainy day, and while it's not raining today, here's where I left off on a project started over a year ago. Sorry for the image quality; gotta love that legocam!

Posted ImagePosted Image
These are shots of the basic parts. That barrel is made of aluminum pipe, something I happen to have an abundance of in the perfect ID. It's got a cut halfway through it for about 2''. Next to it is a maglite solitaire (and a guitar effects box I'm working on).

Posted ImagePosted Image
Here we have an assortment of o-rings (you'll need to be lucky to find ones that fit just right), and a close up of the maglite, showing that when you unscrew it slightly, it can accomodate larger o-rings to create a seal.

Posted ImagePosted Image
If all of the blurriness is confusing you, this paint drawing might help. The maglite will be sliding inside of the back of the barrel, allowing a dart to fall through the opening, and then sliding back to create a seal. Lubricant and a perfect size o-ring will be needed for this to work properly. You'll also have to drill a hole down the center of the parts of your maglite, destroying it in the process, as this allows the air to flow through when the slot in the aluminum is covered. The drawing shows a cross section, one in the valve's open state, one in the closed state: the aluminum pipe is in white, the dart in grey, the maglite in hot pink (darker pink where threading is), a rod of some type in green for sliding the valve, and the o-ring in yellow. The hole through the maglite is where air will travel through when you fire a dart.

Soon I will be putting one of these in my LBB to test it out, and will post results (school's about to start though).

#62535 The Magvalve

Posted by PissBacon on 25 August 2005 - 02:31 PM in Modifications

So nobody thinks the design of the valve is good though? I'm not sure this has been done before; it doesn't require shells for your ammo, and can load multiple darts if desired. It's also very clip-ready and compact, so instead of adding extra bulk on the outside of the barrel, you just need an extra couple inches for the action of the valve. The whole point of this, despite the name, wasn't that I used a maglite, but that there are better options than a breach valve that don't have to be complicated. I'm sure some kind of marker or other cylindrical material would work (even a wooden dowel), but like I said, I don't have a way to make controlled grooves in something (using duct tape to secure an unbalanced material spinning at high speeds sounds like a window/skull-breaker to me).

EDIT: I suppose I could construct a lathe if I felt bothered to.

#35714 The Lnl

Posted by PissBacon on 28 August 2004 - 10:49 PM in General Nerf

To me it's just the pimp-factor of the lnl.

#33503 Tech Target Mod

Posted by PissBacon on 08 August 2004 - 06:11 AM in Modifications

Here's my mod for the Tech Target gun. Three changes occurred:
-Smaller barrel for 1/2 inch (homemade) darts, also slightly longer
-No air restrictor
-Stronger spring

Since I took photos after doing the mod, I'll only have certain views.

http://tinypic.com/1kbrc
This is the gun opened with the (aluminum) barrel already in.

http://tinypic.com/1kbr8
As you can see, the barrel comes apart easily from the main part of the gun.

http://tinypic.com/1kbqu
This is an important part of the barrel. It has to be cut neatly out so that air is allowed through easily, and should line up with the inserted barrel.

http://tinypic.com/1kbr6
Finished product left side.

http://tinypic.com/1kbqg
Finished product right side.

If the pictures won't load, it's because I dont have photobucket yet, so the geocities site might be over its limit.

This gun gets a pretty good range; I measured around 65 feet angled based on 3 test fires. I know other people have modded this gun, but I thought some looked kind of sloppy, so I made this one clean looking. The main issue i have with this gun is that it is noisy for being a small plunger-type gun. I can't figure any practical ways to make the noise quieter without reducing range.

#53094 Supper Soaker

Posted by PissBacon on 21 April 2005 - 11:23 AM in Modifications

http://nerfhaven.com...c=2780&hl=storm
Example of a conversion. This one was modded to load from the back.

#47609 Supersoaker Xp270 Mod

Posted by PissBacon on 20 February 2005 - 02:11 AM in Modifications

Many squirt guns will have leaks when you are just using air because air escapes easier than water.

#52472 Stupid Gun Design

Posted by PissBacon on 14 April 2005 - 12:50 AM in General Nerf

The points you try to touch on, Grumschnitz, seem to be in conflict with each other. You question why they make guns restricted, but later explain why they do so. It is correct though that they have saftey issues with projectile toys, pretty much the only reason to lower a gun's ability. The box says some number just to attract people to buy the product - within reason they can fabricate what they like for a range and not suffer consiquences. I've seen some pretty poorly designed nerf guns in the past though, including one I gave to goodwill, the autogrip.

#68609 Strongest Adhesive

Posted by PissBacon on 30 November 2005 - 02:41 AM in Modifications

www.coolchem.com

Works for everything.

That site isn't very informative, and I couldn't even get registration to work. Could you tell me anything about the product? I've been looking for something to substitute JB Weld epoxy and this could be the answer.

#64041 Strongarm

Posted by PissBacon on 21 September 2005 - 01:41 AM in Modifications

http://nerfhq.com/ph...opic.php?t=1686

Forums are great but people need to realize that just because someone owns a Nerf gun they're not going to automatically be participants on that forum community. With all due respect to the tire iron crowd, they've been around longer so they've gotten grumpier with seeing the same questions over and over again, and the same posts over and over again. The problem is when they express that grumpiness they turn off newcomers.

I don't necessarily agree with either side of the argument about 'n00bz', but it certainly leads to a lot of hard feelings ('tire iron').

#48177 Stefans And Pegs Question.

Posted by PissBacon on 27 February 2005 - 02:04 PM in Homemades

Monkey, it's been brought up in the past what to do with RF20 and WF pegs. You need to take that red part (or yellow if it were WF), and make sure that the outer circular seal of each peg is kept intact - without them your darts may not even leave the gun. Search the forums for more advice. EDIT - damn me and not checking dates.

#64789 Stefan Theory

Posted by PissBacon on 01 October 2005 - 10:18 PM in General Nerf

There are more complicated physics at work here than you realize. You should understand that the only reason a dart can only go a certain distance is from gravity and wind resistance (more accurately aerodynamic drag) (Newton's first law). This means really you have a basic force (force = mass x acceleration, Newton's 2nd) which is being hindered by the previously mentioned forces.

To make an accurate formula you would need to incorporate gravity's negative acceleration, quantify friction the dart suffers, and figure out the force the dart is projected with (muzzle velocity x dart weight). This is to make a simple formula too, a more accurate one has to include other factors like windspeed and imperfect darts.

There may be some formulas I am unaware of that can approximately model what I'm discussing, but I haven't taken any physics classes yet so I wouldn't know.

EDIT:
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=3223 (esp. cranky monky's post)
http://www.glenbrook...DKin/U1L6a.html
After thinking this out further, I realized you can calculate how long it will take the dart to fall if fired level from, say, 5 feet off the ground. Then use the muzzle velocity to calculate how far it would travel in that timeframe. That would be a rough estimate, but it would ingore resistence on that muzzle velocity as it travels through the air

#52819 Stefan Making Tip

Posted by PissBacon on 19 April 2005 - 12:26 AM in General Nerf

Good advice, but I swear I've heard someone was using ice cubes to make their darts. They would sort of use an ice cube to nicely shape the hot glue tips as the glue cooled to form an aerodynamic, and therefore more true-flying, dart. Btw, that's a shame about your RF 20s.

#47683 Stefan Darts

Posted by PissBacon on 21 February 2005 - 03:57 AM in Homemades

My Spiral Darts

Something crazy I did with darts when I was bored.

#35715 Squit Gun Mod/homemade 'thing'

Posted by PissBacon on 28 August 2004 - 10:57 PM in Homemades

(these shots are fired level from about 5 feet off the ground)

Sorry that information was sort of hidden ompa, but yes it was flat.