PissBacon's Content

There have been 174 items by PissBacon (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#58869 Nerfers Nerfing Disease

Posted by PissBacon on 08 July 2005 - 02:43 AM in Off Topic

Yes, if you have dial-up or don't want to be always connected to the internet, it can process while you are offline. I can't wait til i get my friends on this; they leave their computers on for weeks at a time.

Despite getting some weird ultrasound on my heart, they doctor wasn't sure about the hearty-explody thing, so I still run every day; it was probably the most expensive physical I've ever gone in for (insurance didn't cover ultrasound for some reason).

EDIT: I'm going to have to take back what I said since it was extremely vague. What you are asking about requires a bit of extra work; it isn't exactly simple. For help working offline at times, check out this forum discussion.

#58865 Nerfers Nerfing Disease

Posted by PissBacon on 08 July 2005 - 01:09 AM in Off Topic

I'm just about done rigging up a pc too (AMD XP 3000+ venice). Hopefully my friends with more money invested in little electronic things will set it up too. I've been diagnosed with marfan syndrome as well; it's all very weird. They say when I'm running my heart could explode or something.

#64654 Cars

Posted by PissBacon on 30 September 2005 - 01:53 AM in Off Topic

This can outperform many sports cars since its a custom hybrid tuned properly. The electric motors allow for extreme acceleration, and the gas allows for maintaining speed and charging the battery. The frame is a matter of taste, but I bet its a wild ride.
EDIT: Some more detailed specifics about this car: 0-60 in under 4 seconds, over 50 mpg, 200 horse turbo diesel and 200 horse electrics. The batteries are intended mostly for acceleration, so the diesel runs during normal use

My current ride isn't so bad; how do those of you in highschool get your parents to buy you cars? It's the same thing with my friends, they all get cars for birthdays or after getting a license, but I can't afford a car or the insurance.

#34564 Homemade Flash Bang Grenade

Posted by PissBacon on 19 August 2004 - 10:38 PM in Homemades

It's funny that I just see this posted. Only a few days ago I was considering building a flash from an old camera into one of my guns. I figured out how to wire it and all right next to the laser sight. In the end I decided it was sort of pointless and scrapped the idea. It is possible to put a simple disposable camera flash circuit into many guns with a bit of wire and solder though. Just open up a standard disposable camera and you'll see what I mean (careful though, one of those shocked me pretty hard when I touched part of the circuit).

#81790 Angels Bbb

Posted by PissBacon on 14 May 2006 - 01:29 AM in Modifications

Good God, how did I miss this recent entry? You've taken my idea and made it much more durable and practical. Congratulations, what I came short in developing into a sensible version due to time limitations, you've gone all the way with. I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to take credit here, what you've done is great.

One thing I notice that differs in design, though, is the way your breach system works. The reason my system was a bit awkward was due to the inside slider as opposed to the much simpler outside slider. My reason for going with the inside slider was that there would be no change from larger to smaller diameters as the dart exits, and the effect of an ideal BBB barrel would be created each time a dart is chambered, with no rough surfaces for resistance and all the proper diameters. This seemed to be a positive change, to go to a simpler plan which probably results in perfectly useful ranges.

Another difference was that you used the upper slider to attach to the loader, which was something I had initially envisioned before needing leverage for the inner slider; of course using the lower (larger) sliding shell to attach to would be impractical when using large plastic piping as you did.

A last difference I'd like to point out is the use of a deodorant stick for a clip. While this is fine for you specifically (and the lid makes it very convenient), the deodorant stick is not a standard size, so people may not be able to reproduce it as easily. If you can make a receiver, the audio tape case is reliably the perfect size for stock darts and stefans cut to the proper size.

Sweet work Forsaken, reap the rewards of a high ROF BBB. Here's to hoping I don't sound presumptuous.

#81043 Nitemav Version:2

Posted by PissBacon on 01 May 2006 - 12:40 AM in Modifications

Truly an inspiration. I wasn't sure if the NF plunger could functionally fit into a maverick, but now I know. I won't hesitate to purchse 2 mavericks and transplant as soon as I can. Heh, anyone interested in 2 full ppk nf (bondo) shells?

By the way, extremely clean mod, nice!

#65332 New Version Bbb Mod

Posted by PissBacon on 08 October 2005 - 03:39 PM in Modifications

Aw crap! You beat me to it, along with my bbb mod I had a grey and black paintjob, but I've been too busy to finish up the mod. Ah well, nicely done anyways.

#48538 Magazine-fed Fast-action Nerf Rifle

Posted by PissBacon on 02 March 2005 - 11:59 PM in Homemades

I don't think I'd want to be shot at by that.. seriously.
PS: Absolutely Incredible.

#51450 News From Hasbro '05 Part 1

Posted by PissBacon on 03 April 2005 - 04:11 AM in General Nerf

I'm pretty confident he was being sarcastic.
-Piss

#64367 Micro Hornet!

Posted by PissBacon on 26 September 2005 - 12:28 AM in Modifications

Couldn't the pump have stayed in the same area of the gun (below the handle, in the case) with a little trimming?

EDIT: I don't have a hornet myself to do this (or I would have already), but it seems very possible.

#77882 Split-tech 2k

Posted by PissBacon on 28 March 2006 - 01:13 AM in Modifications

Wow, that's pretty inventive. I can't wait to see how it looks with both turrets applied and finished up. If only my target hadn't stopped carrying at2ks months ago.

Also, how does it feel so far in terms of sturdiness? Are all of the parts fitting well together and sturdy, or does it feel like it would break if you hit it a little too hard on something?

#66374 4b - The Bacon Bow (semi-automatic Bbb)

Posted by PissBacon on 23 October 2005 - 12:09 AM in Modifications

After all the redesigning (I probably layed-out and scrapped 10 approaches), the coat hanger was the best, but attaching was probably the toughest part to figure out. After racking my brain for a way for it to not be on the inside (and block the entering dart), or take up too much space on the outside (mess with gravity feed and slide action), I arrived at using JB Weld epoxy. I carefully masked areas around where I would attach and sanded down the brass really well. Several coats were applied to ensure strength.

#66388 4b - The Bacon Bow (semi-automatic Bbb)

Posted by PissBacon on 23 October 2005 - 11:23 AM in Modifications

Wouldn't it be more bolt-action than semi-auto?

You're absolutely right though.

#72050 4b - The Bacon Bow (semi-automatic Bbb)

Posted by PissBacon on 01 February 2006 - 04:23 AM in Modifications

Why did you say "use music wire in the future",  PissBacon?

Thanks for the compliments. Music wire, in a hobby store, is that stuff similar to coathanger metal, but more uniform and easier to work with, not to mention it comes in different diameters. For these reasons it's preferable to use if I were to do it over again.

It's incredible how busy I've been lately; this project's full documentation has been put off for months because of all the things I've been dealing with. Hopefully some weekend I'll get around to a video and/or some accurate ranges.

Go Hawks!

#65681 4b - The Bacon Bow (semi-automatic Bbb)

Posted by PissBacon on 13 October 2005 - 02:19 AM in Modifications

Posted Image
Click This For Fullsize

Here's my take on the reissue of the big bad bow. Unfortunately, I haven't had access to a decent digital camera for a while, but I promise to have good photos up very soon. If there is enough interest I will bother to create a writeup. Flat grey paintjob by the way (if you can't bear the photos).

The Breech
Posted Image
The breech is simply 17/32" brass within a special cut piece of 9/16" brass. The beauty of this breech is that it does not waste barrel lineage, as the breech slides back over the dart, creating an excellent, clean seal (which requires no shell). It's lubricated with silicon (silicone? wish I understood the difference) lubricant to ensure smooth loading. I may as well mention the barrel briefly now. After browsing for a recommended barrel type for the bbb, I ran into cxwq's suggestion, and stuck with it: 2" of 17/32" at the start nested in 6" of 9/16", all inside of 10" of 19/32". My setup gives the effect of these measurements, though not built quite the same. The breech slider offers that first 2", the breech piece gives the 4" in its size, and then the last 4" is covered by 19/32". What you see in the photos is some sch 80 pvc to protect the fragile brass assembly. At the very beginning of the barrel, there is a piece of dental floss taught tight across the diameter of the barrel, which is crucial to the functioning of my breech system (explained later).

The Clip
Posted Image
This clip (8 dart capacity) is actually made from a normal tape/cassette case with one end dremeled off. I've had the most luck with "Scotch High Position XSII-S 100 IEC Type II" tape cases since they have the least amount of excess crap on the inside to sand down. After dremeling away at the case and adding some nice black masking tape, I ended up with a perfect clip. Since this is a gravity system, the top dart is actually filled with weights evenly inside to press down on the other darts, and is not a fireable dart. In the photo there is a rubberband over the clip to prevent the darts from rolling out of the open end. This clip can be easily made, and with some velcro, many clips can be easily carried.

The Reciever
Posted Image
I had a bit of fun making this piece, which accepts the clip. It's a cut piece of plexiglass which I then heated with a candle along certain points, and bent, to form the shape you see. I marked the bend points ahead of time in sharpie to know where to heat and form right angles. If you decide to do this, make sure you have acrylic plexiglass and not polycarbonate, since polycarbonate is not a thermal plastic (will just make a big mess if you put it to the fire).

Parts I haven't explained yet
Posted Image
Once I take good photos, I'll be sure to have some detailed internal shots. The way the breech actually works is linked to the 'trigger' half of the gun. There is a length of coathanger (use musicwire in the future) which I carefully bent in several ways, which attaches to the trigger half, and slides along one side of the plunger assembly and out through one side of the gun. This piece is then attached to the sliding breech piece on one side (out of the way of darts), therefore making the breech move when the bbb is cocked. When the two parts are pushed together, the breech opens and a dart drops in; when pulled apart, the slider slips over the dart (which is held in place by the dental floss bit previously mentioned), and is ready to be fired.

Really-need-a-new-camera Photos
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Questions welcomed (I've left plenty out).

#65730 4b - The Bacon Bow (semi-automatic Bbb)

Posted by PissBacon on 13 October 2005 - 09:57 PM in Modifications

I've updated the first photo of the 4b to be a bit clearer. Lately I'm very busy with highschool, and my computer's crapping out on me when I need it the most; this will be brief.

I haven't tested ranges yet, I'm letting the epoxy and epoxy putty fully cure first before firing (I've loaded darts to test the breech, but removed them manually).

What Illadar and Suave have said pretty much cover the action of the barrel if my explanation is confusing. Since the plastic parts I cut (sch 80 pvc, trimmed original barrel, reciever) fit together well, it makes for a sturdy gun with no sagging like many barrels I see.

Boltsniper, I don't know where I'd find the bandwidth/hosting for a clip of the gun in action.

When time permits, I will create a writeup, just very busy now.

#79524 Buzz Bee New Guns!

Posted by PissBacon on 10 April 2006 - 08:50 PM in General Nerf

Of course the ripoffs are going to look cheap or cartoonish; they're based off of well designed nerf brand guns, but can't look too similar due to lawsuits. Speaking of what their designs are based on, look familiar?

Posted Image

Buzz bee really doesn't look to have original content comming out at the moment, and the cheap plastic really detracts from their guns, at least to me. Why would I buy the knockoff when I can get the real maveric for only a few bucks anyway? I'll wait to judge the other two new ones just yet, but my expectations are low.

#51386 Show Me What You're Working With

Posted by PissBacon on 02 April 2005 - 04:56 PM in General Nerf

Modded Storm 2000
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Back-loading barrel (19") & specially designed plug for high pressure.
BTW: If anyone has seen the stock one of these, I took out the primary tank, and the light assembly has been replaced with .. err. trigger triggered laser sight (light press).

#65006 Buzz Bee Rfr + At2k Integration

Posted by PissBacon on 04 October 2005 - 03:13 AM in Modifications

Incredible - it must have taken quite a bit of time to work that all out, as you have stated. The only part I find unfortunate is that the rof is actually decreased because of the pumping required; from a practical standpoint it defeats the purpose of having the rfr mechanism. Nonetheless, it's something new and inventive, and more mods can add onto this as well.

#68721 Pump-action Clip Writeup

Posted by PissBacon on 03 December 2005 - 03:51 AM in Homemades

Mmmm maybe..You could make the breech smaller...and the barrel.

It's tough enough to make a breech barrel, this one is impressively compact as the barrel slides instead of an arm for loading; getting it smaller that would be near impossible.

I really might have to look into this for a different version of my 4B. It's so much surdier than a coathanger and weld epoxy on brass. Nice work.

P.S.

Point the gun so that the barrel is facing you.

Interesting instructions. Might you need a disclaimer?

#64366 Clip Mod

Posted by PissBacon on 26 September 2005 - 12:26 AM in Modifications

Did you run into this thread from a link I posted? In any case, I have a similarly designed mechanism (magvalve), and it doesn't loose much power at all. It's about the same as adding a couple inches of vynil tubing, or having a barrel a little too long, and not pushing the dart in all the way. If you're using a single barrel at2k, I don't see this being a problem (are you really going to hit people from that far away?!).

#62619 The Ubs (universal Barrel System)

Posted by PissBacon on 27 August 2005 - 09:23 PM in Modifications

You must be rich to afford a foot or two of petg per shot while nerfing. It's an interesting concept, but wouldn't it be just as easy to have 1 removeable barrel and some darts, so you could just pop a dart in and put the barrel back on? It would be easier to carry than all that petg too. I do like the nested petg/brass though, and I've never seen a sawed-off lbb before; I just might try it.

#68910 Silencer Report

Posted by PissBacon on 08 December 2005 - 06:31 PM in Darts and Barrels

I'm not speaking from experience, so call me out if you must.

From what I gather, silencers silence by allowing the escaping gas to slow down before exiting the barrel. The larger the volume, the quieter the noise will be, to a point where the size would make no noticeable difference. Making more holes is only compensating for a silencer which is not adequately sized. While holes may help quiet things down, they're really just allowing the noise to dissapate from a variety of angles and places instead of being focused in one place (you may not have dremeled the same amount or size of holes on all the silencers, accounting for the results favoring one over another). If you google the word 'silencer' you don't see holes in any real silencers. Considering there is a great deal more air volume to be dealt with in a nerf gun than in a real firearm, a working silencer will have to be possibly awkwardly large. To compensate for the greater volume, you could try using wider diameters of pipe or longer lengths.

#68925 Silencer Report

Posted by PissBacon on 09 December 2005 - 01:48 AM in Darts and Barrels

Ok. I couldn't tell from the photos/description if the holes were on the outside, and for some reason I assumed they were. What really matters are the results, not the theory, so if it works for you, great.

#48736 If You Could Ask Hasrbo

Posted by PissBacon on 05 March 2005 - 02:00 AM in General Nerf

I would ask them if they ever plan to re-release the powerclip. They should make it with a camo paintjob if they do.

#49067 If You Could Ask Hasrbo

Posted by PissBacon on 08 March 2005 - 09:46 PM in General Nerf

Please don't flame for perpetuating this off topic discussion, but the site they were referring to was http://www.emachineshop.com/ They do custom parts, but it only makes sense for certain machined parts. Making a gun shell, for example, would be a vast waste of money, and complicated to work with their system.

#70566 Please Read: Spherical Ammo.

Posted by PissBacon on 07 January 2006 - 01:14 AM in General Nerf

Actionball has foam balls used in paintball guns available.  About $0.50 per ball though.  I've seem them, they are pretty soft.  Never felt one shot from a paintball gun though.

For homemade balls, that can be weighted easily, why not try crayola Model Magic foam?  I've seen unweighted ones used in the same situations as Actionball.  They are used in spring guns.

Adam

Don't ignore this; this is very close to what is sought (actually, the idea of actionball is as close as it gets without being nerf). These seem to be properly weighted considering they're fired from paintball guns. There are still a few things to account for, such as the potential difference in barrel size, and the poor aerodynamics at low speeds (price is also quite high).

I'm not talking about balls, im talking about short FBR chunks.

If you think spheres aren't aerodynamic at low velocity, have a look at short FBR cylinders; I'm not even sure how much worse that option is.

Personally, I'm pretty interested in rifling a barrel for some ball-type ammo to stabilize shots, and just for the sake of nerf modding.

Though the current state of nerf will stay, if this grows successful I can imagine an increased gravitation towards paintballing, since anything we create will just be struggling to emulate the design and performance of professionally engineered paintball guns.

#70736 Please Read: Spherical Ammo.

Posted by PissBacon on 10 January 2006 - 05:34 PM in General Nerf

Heres a possibility: Instead of bying 4000 of those things, take a bb or two and make a tape ball around it, lightweight, your bb is the centrat weight, and you can make planty. Just a thought, might not work.

Covering a painful projectile with plastic tape will not make it any less painful.

And I believe it's already been emphasized, but weight is not the only issue of a projectile. It's ok for airsoft ammo to be so like because it's so tiny and thus has much lower wind resistance; a large foam ball with the same weight suffers much more drag. Why do you think throwing a large nerf ball at someone hurts much less than a small rock?

#48159 A Teaser........

Posted by PissBacon on 27 February 2005 - 05:01 AM in Homemades

I can't wait til it's done. Looks like it will not only be a great functioning homemade, but a damn good looking one.

#73099 New Lbb

Posted by PissBacon on 13 February 2006 - 09:36 PM in Modifications

I can't help but laugh at how comfortably this thread jumped a year. The lbb is a helluva gun for less than $15 usd; and before I got a bbb, I was about to clip mod this one. Just adding about 1.5 of brass works just as well as I don't use the lbb too much, but it is incredibly powerful especially by the dollar.

#47683 Stefan Darts

Posted by PissBacon on 21 February 2005 - 03:57 AM in Homemades

My Spiral Darts

Something crazy I did with darts when I was bored.

#35017 Titan: The Most Powerful Nerf Gun Ever

Posted by PissBacon on 23 August 2004 - 09:00 PM in Modifications

Nice! I want to know the ranges once you put a barrel on it.

#53372 Your Ride?

Posted by PissBacon on 24 April 2005 - 05:17 PM in Off Topic

What does the president have to do with high gas prices.

Yeah but you can't drive until we get a new president.

More importantly, how do high gas prices stop you from driving an efficient car?

edit: Sorry, I hadn't refreshed the page, and didn't see all the people who posted in between those first page posts. PS - Merlinski, why are you using an RX7's body if you're taking out the main engine system so you can do a bunch of stuff to it? Can't you just use the car with the good engine that comes with (like a Supra)?

#83095 Favorite Aircraft?

Posted by PissBacon on 11 June 2006 - 04:54 AM in Off Topic

The P-38 Lightning has always fascinated me for some strange reason.
Posted Image

Additionally, the F-4 Phantom II caught my interest while playing Chuck Yeager's Air Combat; putting on the afterburners and nosediving ripped that baby's wings off after leveling out at 10 ft altitude.
Posted Image

P.S. Isn't it strange the first search of the F-4 in google images returns a pic with the f-4 and p-38 together?

#47608 Behold! My Awesome Modification!

Posted by PissBacon on 20 February 2005 - 02:02 AM in Modifications

Osgood-Schlatter disease really sucks; as for the crutch gun, I have a pair of old crutches laying around. The trigger would definately be placed around the handle part, concealed of course. I've just finished up making a semi-automatic pressure regulating valve that looks like it will fit inside the crutch's aluminum piping. Just need to work out how the darts would be loaded; I definately do not want to have to ram each one down the bottom of the crutch. Just imagine dual-wielding nerf crutches.

#72281 The Sexbow 2.0

Posted by PissBacon on 04 February 2006 - 05:17 PM in Modifications

Drawing flames is an art, and a tough one at that.

The way you added color to the front handle on the bbb is great, I may have to do a little touch up on my bbb now that I've got some new ideas.

#36830 Impressive Paint Jobs?

Posted by PissBacon on 09 September 2004 - 11:37 PM in General Nerf

All mine!

Posted Image

#36041 Helix Barrel

Posted by PissBacon on 31 August 2004 - 08:53 PM in Homemades

So, since rifling doesn't really work with nerf because of the physics of it, I guess I'm unsure of why silencers work then. In a real gun, the silencer is intended to slow down the air so that it's not at supersonic speeds, preventing a sonic boom (I think that's how it works). I may just be confused.

#35930 Helix Barrel

Posted by PissBacon on 30 August 2004 - 11:19 PM in Homemades

What if you somehow bored spiral patterns into a barrel like a real gun?

#34522 Squit Gun Mod/homemade 'thing'

Posted by PissBacon on 19 August 2004 - 07:42 PM in Homemades

Posted Image

For about 2 weeks I've been working on gutting an old squirt gun (Storm 2000) out, and over the course of the project, I kept changing the innards more and more. Now that it's complete, I'd consider the inside more than half homemade. It's got an 18 inch aluminum barrel with back loading breach-like design. The barrel sounds long, but the volume of the tank makes sense for it. It's also got a laser in place of where some stupid light used to be on the squirt gun. I used the same battery compartment and the same on/off switch build into the trigger mechanism for the laser, and it works pretty nicely. Originally the barrel was much simpler, and I just shoved darts down. Using that design I got 170 feet flat with only 3/5 of the tank's maximum power (before pressure release kicked in). I'm new, and I'm guessing this has been done countless times before, but I'll post it anyway.

Posted Image
Innards, and a TT for scale

Posted Image
A look down the back of the gun, in case you don't understand how the breach works exactly.

Posted Image
The end stopper I designed. It goes in the back of the loading area and is tightened to create a seal.

Posted Image
This is where the laser was put in (front of gun).

This was heavily influenced by the R.s.c.b. loading system. The gun is basically a homemade fit inside of a squirt gun case for looks (however I did use a lot of the valves and stuff from the squirt gun). As for ranges, I'm going to be gone for a few days, and the epoxy won't be dry before then. Hopefully by posting the ranges I won't just be bringing back a dead topic.

Posted Image
Pretty picture

P.S. Sorry about the typo in the topic name (I'm such an idiot).