BloodMoon's Content

There have been 88 items by BloodMoon (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#64541 Youre Computer Specs

Posted by BloodMoon on 28 September 2005 - 09:29 PM in Off Topic

Intel P4 3.2 gHz
eVGA nVidia 6800 GT
1 GB DDR400 RAM
Intel D865PERL MoBo
120 GB, 7200 RPM IDE Hard Drive
Windows XP Pro + SP1

No, I don't have a reason for not going to SP2...but the earlier version of SP2 annoyed me, and I never really thought of checking back to see what's changed. I have a PII computer running Red Hat 9 Linux, but that really shouldn't count.

#63804 Your Armory

Posted by BloodMoon on 17 September 2005 - 11:50 PM in General Nerf

Saying that an At3k rotation mechenism is a little more complicated than a Maverick's is an understatement.

My arsenal (sad):
2xNiteFinder
2xAt3k

#63854 Your Armory

Posted by BloodMoon on 18 September 2005 - 06:10 PM in General Nerf

That doesn't beat my one and only Titan AS-V1

If it means something to you, I also have a SuperMaxx 3000, but it's pretty badly screwed up. I'm hoping to hunt down some of the Lanard guns, but so far I've only seen First Shot's, and I'd rather have more NF's than First Shot's.

EDIT: Apologies for getting off-topic. What I more meant to say is that I'd rather have a Blast Bazooka or better yet a Max Shot. Both, I believe, fire much larger projectiles than the First Shot, so I'm assuming that they'll get better range for the one shot that they're good for. I like NiteFinder's better because they are a little bit more compact, after you've taken off the laser casing and ammo holders, and they cost about the same.

#67665 Where To Buy Modding Materials

Posted by BloodMoon on 14 November 2005 - 10:59 PM in Modifications

I was in a PetCo yesterday and I did find PETG, but it was the same 3/4". I believe that I also have a Petcetra around somewhere, so when I'm over in that direction, I'll check it out.

As far as brass goes, I'd say that if you're new and you have an Ace nearby, that should be the first place you check. Of three Ace stores, I've found brass at all three. That doesn't mean that all Ace's carry it, but it does mean that it's worth checking. Be aware that brass is a relatively uncommon item, so you may have to search the store yourself.

I have never seen brass at Lowes. I haven't been to more than one Lowe's though.

#63645 What Size Pipe

Posted by BloodMoon on 14 September 2005 - 07:48 PM in Modifications

If you want to just stick the stock dart in the muzzle and fire, 9/16 OD K&S brass should be fine (supposing that ALL stock darts are EXACTLY the same). All stock micros I've seen work fine in it (I've tried ones from the AT3K, NiteFinder, and Maverick). I've heard, however, that PETG will do even better, if you can get ahold of some.

If you want to use a ramrod/breech/bolt/nested barrel, I'd take poo's suggestion on the the 1/2", Sch. 40 PVC.

EDIT: 1/2" Sch. 40 PVC has an inner diameter of 5/8"...I don't know what the outer diameter is, but it's not as important.

#66186 Tool Prerequisites

Posted by BloodMoon on 20 October 2005 - 08:42 PM in Modifications

As SirTofu said, a dremel is probably the single most valueble tool that a nerf modder can have, but you'll want to make sure you're in Nerf for the long haul before you go out and buy them, because they're not all that cheap ($50+). Not only are they great for sanding down barrels and cases, but they'll do better than anything else I've seen for shaping PVC and (more recently with Boltsniper's designs). And they're great high-speed drills.

I don't know if you count this as a tool, but I use a vice all the time, for letting stuff dry and holding things that I need to drill/sand.

Something that I can't get enough of that hasn't been mentioned is Electrical Tape (also called Vinyl Tape or E-Tape). My main use for it is that wrapping pipe/tubing with it increases the outer diameter. I've also seen it used for added holding strengh and better grips for your guns. If nothing else, it makes things black (or whatever other color of E-Tape you'd like to buy).

#67615 The Soloution To Glue Dillema

Posted by BloodMoon on 13 November 2005 - 10:07 PM in Modifications

That's good to know. Usually when I use hotglue, I'm setting up for using Epoxy or some stuff I use called E-6000.

#66184 The Hornet

Posted by BloodMoon on 20 October 2005 - 08:32 PM in General Nerf

Based on the Modifications section on this site, I'd say that after modding, the guns perform about equally, though I don't know anyone in my area who wars with a Hornet or a Blastfire.

I'd really like to get my hands on a Hornet, but I'm not about to buy a N-Strike, considering that they're $40 and I don't want/need the Titan or the Scout (nevermind anything else the N-Strike comes with). If they were sold individually, I'd gladly pay $15 for one, but I'm not motivated enough to find one to buy online.

#66763 The Firefly, How Do We Modify This Monster...

Posted by BloodMoon on 29 October 2005 - 04:41 PM in Modifications

Because I'm feeling nice:
the Renegade FireFly Mod

#66764 Tagger Mods?

Posted by BloodMoon on 29 October 2005 - 04:47 PM in Modifications

If this gun is anything like the Maverick or Firefly, I'd agree that doing a barrel mod is more of a pain than it's worth. You might want to check out Flamebo's Mod right here.

#66712 Styling Glue Help

Posted by BloodMoon on 28 October 2005 - 05:56 PM in Modifications

For any kind of 'styling', I just keep an ice cube handy. Because I'd rather not burn myself on something like that.

#68541 Strongest Adhesive

Posted by BloodMoon on 28 November 2005 - 08:24 PM in Modifications

For that kind of stuff, I use a lot of E6000, but that's mostly because I get tons of it from where I work, not because it's the best. Any superglue based on cyanoacrylate works amazingly well on plastic/PVC materials.

#66358 Springs

Posted by BloodMoon on 22 October 2005 - 10:18 PM in Modifications

I haven't actually opened up a Firefly, but the mech seems enough like the Maverick's that I'd be scared to add a more powerful spring without a really good idea of how to reinforce the thing ahead of time.

In what section of your hardware stores do you find the springs?

For all of the hardware stores I've been in, there's been a wall of springs somewhere. Just ask someone who works there...unlike some items (like brass), springs are really common, and the people working at your hardware store should know where they are. As far as the three stores nearest to me, however, I've been unable to find any good springs for use in cocking guns, so I'm going to try to get ahold of some AR15 springs, as per Boltsniper's Homemades.

#64540 Splitfire Tactical

Posted by BloodMoon on 28 September 2005 - 09:18 PM in Modifications

I think that overall, it looks very nice. I like the black paint in contrast with the brass-colored barrels and pump.

I'm a fan of black weapons...I think that it looks better than some of the flourescent colors that guns come in, though most of the time I'd just rather leave the default color on. And, in truth, I'm a lazy painter; cover what you don't want painted with masking tape, and then paint on a coat of Krylon Fusion spraypaint, the color of your choice. While black paint could be an issue at a public park, I generally nerf at other people's houses, so it's not an issue.

#66430 Soldat!

Posted by BloodMoon on 23 October 2005 - 04:08 PM in Off Topic

I did actually play that, for all of about a week. It was fun because you could install in about 20 seconds and then have LAN games. I also made a few guns and a couple of animations for it, it's rediculously easy. But the game doesn't have tons of depth or anything, so unless you're just up for killing time with friends (and don't want to nerf), it's nothing Effeminate.

#67077 Size Of Pvc For Homemade Gun

Posted by BloodMoon on 03 November 2005 - 07:01 PM in Homemades

Here's a chart.

I measured some 1", and that chart seems about right, so I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that the chart is correct for the rest of the pipe sizes.

Unfortunately, it doesn't list ID's and OD's for thin wall PVC (for example, 230 PSI 3/4" PVC or 200 PSI 1" PVC), which you may want in your design.

#65478 Simple Lbb Mod

Posted by BloodMoon on 10 October 2005 - 06:46 PM in Modifications

I have a LBB that I have modified to fire micro stefans. I usually pump nine times, which is all I really can considering that I haven't removed the air restrictor. It has a 1/2" PVC coupler, and the best range I've gotten is about 125', given that my mod has the barrel angled slightly upward.

Could you pump the gun less because it is only firing stefans instead of bulky foam missiles? Yes, you can. But in a war, unless you're really desperate, you're going to want to pump it that many times because that way you'll get greater range.

#64925 Rf20 Problems

Posted by BloodMoon on 02 October 2005 - 10:11 PM in General Nerf

Well, if you've never taken it apart, now might be a good time...maybe the problem will be really obvious.

#69053 Question About The Far

Posted by BloodMoon on 11 December 2005 - 07:33 PM in Homemades

I fully agree with NinjZ.
I'm thinking that it would be actually cheaper to buy a springer than to try and get all the parts for building a homemade one.

Also, I'm not sure the FAR is the best place to look for ideas on this. The FAR was designed with bulky foam ammunition in mind, so I don't know how much of Bolt's design is going to be relevant to what you're trying to do. The FAR is a good primer for a project like this, but I think that you're going to have to redesign the magazine system to work with the BB's, which will be no small feat.

#65791 Problems With My Nerf Guns

Posted by BloodMoon on 14 October 2005 - 06:44 PM in General Nerf

Stick to stock darts for the scout. My scout will shoot a stock dart like 25 feet where a stefan wont even leave the barrell.

Sorry I didn't mention that. You're absolutely right.

For more info, go here:
Ompa's Scout Mod

#65732 Problems With My Nerf Guns

Posted by BloodMoon on 13 October 2005 - 10:38 PM in General Nerf

Well, as far as your IX-3 and your NiteFinder, you may have easily fixed problems, so if you open up the gun and look around, the solution might be obvious. You never know.

As far as your dart situation, you might want to look into Stefans. I use them because they allow you to build guns that don't muzzle load, and because they cost somewhere between 1 and 2 cents each to make. Check out this thread here.

#65110 Performance Problems With Airtech 3k

Posted by BloodMoon on 05 October 2005 - 05:05 PM in Modifications

Could you describe the way you make stefans?

#65131 Performance Problems With Airtech 3k

Posted by BloodMoon on 05 October 2005 - 08:24 PM in Modifications

Well, I make stefans the same way (minus the hole in back, which I've been meaning to try). I have a brassed 3k, and have never had a problem like that. It's that the darts are consistantly curving right that stumps me. I can't think of anything that would be going wrong.

#66182 Paper Darts?

Posted by BloodMoon on 20 October 2005 - 08:26 PM in General Nerf

I know I haven't been here all that long, but I have found that giving ebay links is just a really, really bad idea. Just for future reference.

I can't imagine that any darts made out of paper are as good as stefans. For starters, they have to have almost no wieight...which poses problems if you want to shoot over five feet. Next, how can they possibly make a good seal with the barrel? As they must be easily bent, I doubt that there's any good barrel for them.

#67658 Nf Mod

Posted by BloodMoon on 14 November 2005 - 10:31 PM in Modifications

Not to hijack your thread, but could some one fill me on on the difference between the 'old' NF's and the EX-3's? I'm considering bying more NF's, and I'm wondering because I have a few spare old NF parts that I could probably use in an EX-3 (spring, plunger head).

It's a solid mod. It's a lot like what I wound up doing for my very first mod. What I can tell you about ranges on the NF CPVC mod is that you'll get very different results depending on your stefans.

Thanks, Uncle Hammer. I guess I'll also be buying a whole bunch of 'old' NF's if there are still any lying around on shelves somewheres.

#66095 Nf Coupler Mod

Posted by BloodMoon on 18 October 2005 - 09:45 PM in Modifications

I don't know about CPVC, because I've actually never bought CPVC couplers. But as far as all kinds of PVC goes, the couplings should be tight. VERY tight. So something sounds wrong here. You might want to make sure you got the right couplers, because I have all kinds of different brands of couplers for 1/2" PVC (for example) and they all fit the same.

That's a very solid mod. It would be nice to have a pic of the finished product though...for some reason, that just makes it complete in my mind. I have a CPVC barreled NF that gets no where near those ranges, but I think that it's because my Stefans are a bad fit for CPVC...I've since then stopped using it.

#66428 Nf Barrels?

Posted by BloodMoon on 23 October 2005 - 04:00 PM in Modifications

When I did my second NF, brass inside 9/16" PVC, I actually did remove that whole piece and the thing worked quite well.

Just to sum it up though, make sure you have a Brass, PETG, Crayola, or CPVC barrel for the 1/2" FBR that you are going to buy.

#65816 New Stefans And Shotgun Idea

Posted by BloodMoon on 15 October 2005 - 10:32 AM in General Nerf

Is clay actually cheaper? Metal wieghts are sold, if I am remembering correctly, for something like 200 of them for under three dollars. I'm talking about 1/4" steel shot here.

#65792 New Stefans And Shotgun Idea

Posted by BloodMoon on 14 October 2005 - 06:46 PM in General Nerf

I never thought of using clay. Good thought!

#66354 New Silencer

Posted by BloodMoon on 22 October 2005 - 09:56 PM in Homemades

I'll probably get around to making a silencer on a day when I just feel like drilling holes in stuff.

Just a question on the function of your silencer...I'm assuming that the noise reduction is really only an issue for pump guns, seeing as in a spring gun the sound of the spring colliding with the end of the plunger tube is louder than the dart firing (though I may be wrong)?

#66429 New Silencer

Posted by BloodMoon on 23 October 2005 - 04:05 PM in Homemades

Well, I don't think that silencers do anything practical for you in a war, but they do silence the 'pop' of the air coming out of the gun a little bit.

#66427 New Home Made Darts

Posted by BloodMoon on 23 October 2005 - 03:56 PM in Modifications

I know some people who have darts like that, but in the end, Stefans are cheaper like you mentioned. Much cheaper...they're about $.01 or $.02 per dart the way I make them, which is pretty standard.

#67248 New Google Group:nerf Guns

Posted by BloodMoon on 06 November 2005 - 07:50 PM in General Nerf

Two things. First, having a Google group probably won't do anything dramatic. Second, more nerfers isn't a bad thing. Second, I'd have to agree with Doom in saying that 'the underground' is a moronic cliche. More nerfers is always a good thing.

#64360 New Clip

Posted by BloodMoon on 25 September 2005 - 10:25 PM in Homemades

As far a stripper clips, the idea works, though I'm not sure if we'll have any problems due to the fact that we're not using 'solid' ammuntion or shells...like, it might be a little hard to have the darts stay in the clip while you're carrying it around, and then getting them off the clip and in to the gun. This is assuming that you have to take the clip part out of the gun when you're loading the darts, which I believe is how a stripper clip works but I'm not sure if that's necessary.

As far as the M1 clip, I won't have a good idea about it for sure until I try to build one. I don't think it would be all that bad to make a clip that fits inside the mag (so to say). In my mind, I'm just tring to think about ompa's clip and then what parts of it would have to be in the stationary mag and what parts would be in the removable clip. In the M1 clip idea, would you have to have a section of the barrel attached to the removable clip, that the bolt would go in? Or would you not have to worry about that?

#64309 New Clip

Posted by BloodMoon on 25 September 2005 - 11:49 AM in Homemades

I think the whole idea of a non-detachable mag works because you can just shove more darts in as you have the time, rather than having to remove the clip to load any more darts in. The kind of stripper clip idea works as well because then you would also be able to load a full mag of rounds when you run out.

#66359 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by BloodMoon on 22 October 2005 - 10:22 PM in Modifications

Nice integretion but the pump should be where the barrelis of the sm1500, and the barrel should come out the top hole where the original Xbow's barrel was.

Uhh, then where would the crossbow's barrel be??

Here's a pic of my LBB, though I already posted the pic in some other thread:
Posted Image

#64542 Mech Six's In Stores!

Posted by BloodMoon on 28 September 2005 - 09:33 PM in General Nerf

Well, if it fires like a disc shooter does, I don't think there's a ton of range potential, but I could be very wrong, we'll just have to wait and find out. For the clip and lack of any real pumping/cocking, I'd gladly pick one up if the thing can get 30 feet...but I think that's a bit much to hope for.

#65794 Maverick

Posted by BloodMoon on 14 October 2005 - 06:54 PM in Modifications

You need to be more specific. First of all, if you didn't take the gun apart and just stuck a new barrel on the end of it right on the end of the orange cap as marked below, I can see why that wouldn't work.
Posted Image

If the thing is airtight, all of your air is being lost between where the revolver portion ends and when your barrel begins.

Or maybe I'm completely lost as to what you're trying to say.

Anyway, if you're keeping your Maverick stock, you're accuracy is probably the least of your concerns. If you're looking for a good Mav mod, I'd check out Baghead's mod right here.

#69950 Mark Series Modded Nf

Posted by BloodMoon on 27 December 2005 - 12:11 PM in Modifications

I DO like all-black paintjobs, and I really like the kind of texture that you have on the gun. I often use Krylon Fusion black paint and I wind up with 'shiny' guns, not the dull-black I'm looking for. How'd you do it?

Having a stock on a Nitefinder is a personal choice, so I'll respect yours on that. Putting a scope on a NF as the last poster suggested would be kind of a waste, IMHO. You don't need a scope to shoot 50 feet.

Just another comment, I actually like the rail on top of the new NF's. I'm mildly pissed off that the spring is less strong, but other than that, I like the look of the gun better.

#63794 Internals Of Ertl Fs-1010

Posted by BloodMoon on 17 September 2005 - 07:30 PM in Modifications

Well, it seems like you're paying an aweful lot of money for a nice looking case and a big spring. But if someone can get some good ranges, I'll shut up and go sit in the corner.