Whisper101's Content

There have been 194 items by Whisper101 (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#260564 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Whisper101 on 03 January 2010 - 11:57 AM in Modifications

My Nitefinder Rifle:

Posted Image
An utter bitch to prime, loud as hell, but incredibly fun too! VERY DANGEROUS from 15 feet! It left a 2 mm dent in my wall with a good stefan from said distance. I glued 2 NF plunger tubes together and then used some sanded out PVC to act as a coupler for them.
More pics:
Posted Image
w/4.5 inch barrel If anyone knows what the optimal barrel length is for a NF Rifle, PM me.
Posted Image
primed
Posted Image
plunger rod detail: it's made up of 3 parts of NF plunger rods glued together w/coat hanger reinforcers. handle and all it's about 10.5 inches long.

#265744 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Whisper101 on 17 February 2010 - 12:27 PM in Modifications

OK, time to get some more hot, steamy, pictures of guns with HUGE barrels up onto the boards (added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole anyone?). Anywhom, here they are:
My AT2k( Its been sanded for painting, bu the pics make it look sorta like urban cmo from CoD):

Posted Image
full body
Posted Image
I know it's hard to see but the check valve on this bad boy busted. I repaired it with a free sample courtesy of Ark plas products. Everyone should definitely check them out if they need a new check valve. I've got a billion spares too...
Posted Image
front view, you can see the CPVC barrels. They're 5.5" long and are soon to be replaced with PETG!!!

Next we have my Cyclops, constructed from the Point Blank's writeup:

Posted Image
I did not change anything form his designs so all creativity credit goes directly to him. I just thought it was such a clean, beautiful, awesome idea that i simply had to make one for myslef.
Posted Image
I added 3 layers of craft foam to cushion my knuckle while pumping.
Posted Image
Barrel view. This is also going to be replaced with some PETG as soon as I get it.
No, the barrel is not crooked, it's just the camera angle.

Questions? Comments? PM me.

#292003 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Whisper101 on 01 January 2011 - 01:36 PM in Modifications

Well, I haven't posted anything here in a while!

Meh Longshot:

Whole slew of mods done, includes polycarbonate trigger and catch, 1/2" nylon plunger rod, and the simplest breech that i've Never seen on the forums. More on that later... Also, it's pump action.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
breech open:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Ah likah teh moneez! (money shot)

The breech is about 10" of CPVC which acts as the male where the 21/32" brass is the female. The brass is affixed to the black peice in the plunger tube, and the CPVC is glued to the shell. Ranges are 90'-100'

Next is one of my favorite guns, even though its an absolute beeeeyatch to fully prime.
Posted Image
Yep, that's a diddled scout shell wich accomodates a hornet tank with a CPVC tank epansion (kudos to brokenSVT). This/these tanks are pumped via the tiny ass SSPB pump hiddedn where the old scout springer firing mech used to live. The gun is pumped by pulling back the slide on the top of the gun, just like in the springer version. Even though the SSPB pump is plugged, it takes about 9 billion pumps to fill the tanks. the gun is fired by pulling the trigger which in turn depresses the blast btton hidden in the handle.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Ranges are pretty damn good, it breaks cardboard at not even close to full pressure.

#292004 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Whisper101 on 01 January 2011 - 01:39 PM in Modifications

Next is a clear NF. not much to say, but it does utilize a grommet plunger head that I found at ACE. +1 for me!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Ranges are in the high 70s low 80s

Although I am not a _xX_GaM3rZ_Xx_ (hardcore gamer), when I say that Black ops had a knife that shot knives, I realized that this had to be adapted to NERF, sort of. Sodizzle put together a sexy crossbow, here's a ballistic knife interpretation:
Posted Image
Posted Image
[IMGPosted Image
]http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/hadleyfarm/017-3.jpg[/IMG]
Posted Image
I took my broken SSPB, mauled the tank, and glued on a hornet tank. It has a PVC/CPVC breech which is the "blade", the dart is put into the breech, the gun is pumped about 290 times, and then the blast button is pressed and the dart kills cardboard...a little.
Ranges are good, probably about 70+, judging by what it does to cardboard.

PM me with any questions 'n stuff.

#262736 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Whisper101 on 22 January 2010 - 06:37 PM in Modifications

My latest and possibly greatest:

Posted Image
An angel breeched Longshot...

But there's more!
Posted Image
Yes it hasa big ass shark mouth cut into the front, but housed inside that massive PVC tube is a titan air tank. Double power! Win!
Posted Image
Front view. The angel breech is exactly like Angel's (Duh!) and gets 80-110 ft. ranges. The titan has a 1/2" CPVC coupler housed inside a much larger threaded coupler. This allows for 2 firing modes: shotgun style where I've made "shells" similar to waht others have done and the darts go 40-60 ft. The other is sort of your, dare I say it!, "Schinper" attachment. With an 8 inch barrel I lost every stefan I fired. It shoots through card borad like a hot knife through butter.
Posted Image
The titan pump is secured to one half of the shell, but the whole gun is still completely reopenable due to some industrial grade velcro on the bottom.
I love this gun!

Next up: My finished contract for Luke

Posted Image
It's a recon with:
-ars removed
-pump action attachment made out of light attachment-this is removable!
-power stock
-PVC in the foregrip for a new flashlight to be housed in.

It gets-30-50'. Higher ranges with the power stock. Hope he likes it!!!

EDIT: Sorry for the shitty pics. That's what you get with a shitty camera!

#271076 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Whisper101 on 02 April 2010 - 10:37 AM in Modifications

Because I am broke, I have been doing what any broke nerfer does. Retooling old guns!!!

Remeber this guy?
Posted Image
I got tired of his bitchin' so I gave him what every guy wants (sarcasm) a makeover:

Posted Image
side one
Posted Image
side two
Posted Image
front
he now sports a snazzy red PJ (Tig is right; red is a bitch to work with, even though it looks cool), a 1/2' PVC coupler and an off center pumping handle. I'd like to say that I did that on purpose but I didn't. I just screwed up. It actually feels more ergonomic to pump though; try it! Ranges: can shoot through cardboard. 'nuff said.

Next up is a 3k that has been lying around in my shop that I finally got around to:
Posted Image
It sports a removable stock-kudos to the unholy 3 for the idea
Posted Image
rearloading of course, and a MS pump. Ranges: couldn't test 'em cuz of the bib bad bully below. Suffice it to say that it's good, real good. bitch.

Finally, we have the aforementioned big bad bully below. it is currently a contestant in the Nerf Revolution Cosmetics Contest. Wish me luck!!!
So here's what I began with:
Posted Image
Posted Image
yeah, you all remember this bad ass. I posted it here a while ago.
Anywho; here are the fruits of my efforts (drumroll please):
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I basically just cleaned up and smoothed out any problems. I did, however add my own little twist to the angel breech...

PM me with comments/questions/etc...

#282852 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Whisper101 on 11 August 2010 - 02:24 PM in Homemades

Yet another iteration of the pump action +Bow:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I had a spare NF handle with the trigger and catch still usable. I decided that I wanted to do something new with it. It's plunger tube is made of 12" of butyrate (YES, IT WORKS!!!), and the portion of PVC is 1.5" ID I beleive.
The arms are PC and they have shown no signs of bending under the pressure so i think they should work. the priming mechanism is basically what Split came up with, it's made of 1/4" PC. The plunger rod is 3/8" pvc square bar. it is holding up nicely.

PM with questions/comments.

#292005 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Whisper101 on 01 January 2011 - 01:49 PM in Homemades

^^^^^Do I really have to follow THAT up???!?!?^^^^

Anywho:

BOW
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

MINI BOW
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
It utilizes a butyrate plunger tube and a grommet plunger head. Shoots hawd!

I made a PVAT
Posted Image
And liked it
Posted Image
So I made some improvements (extra o ring @ front for seal, brass nipple, more)

And then I made another one
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
It's bigger.

That's 2" PVC, same length as the original PVAT, but double the diameter, takes about 10 pumps from a BS pump, and shoots through everything wiht a barrel that is obscenely long. Same improvements as the other one.

PM me with any questions 'n stuff.

#278851 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Whisper101 on 28 June 2010 - 12:30 PM in Homemades

-ABOVE POST CONTINUED-
Now for the newbie:

Posted Image
She's a +bow wiht modified side plates to allow for a free sliding PVC half round fore grip. Why? Well that would be telling! She is still a WIP but here are some more pics:

Posted Image
wood handle

Posted Image
and stock

Posted Image
closeup of the slide

Now for the latest additions to the collection:
Posted Image
a nice pair of L+Ls

Posted Image
L+L 1 (on the left in the group shot above)

Posted Image
And L+L 2 (on the right)

Posted Image
catch

Posted Image
iron sight

Posted Image
padded plunger head

The two L+Ls are virtually the same save a few small differences. #1 is made primarily of grey tinted polycarbonate while #2 is primarily clear. Also, #1 has a bit more sanding on the handle area, making it a bit more comfortable. They are both for sale...

Sorry for the sub par pics...

#278850 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Whisper101 on 28 June 2010 - 12:28 PM in Homemades

I've been away for a while due to shool and finals and well, life. Anyway, I am now back in full function and as of late have been on something of a homemade tear. Here's what I mean:

Posted Image
Did a little work on My L+L CS.
It now sports one of Split's alternate plunger heads, a wood handle, sanded polycarbonate frame, longer portion of a [k26], and a front iron sight to compliment the back one, which has been modified a tad too. It has an airtight seal using the o-ring method thought up by CaliforniaPants. She is extremely comfortable to hold, semi diffcicult to prime, and fucks shit up when it comes to ranges.
Other pics:

Posted Image
catch mechanism

Posted Image
front iron sight

Next up is old fathful; my +bow. It has undergone many changes and tweaks; the latest of which are:

Posted Image
alternate plunger head

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
homemade foregrip

The foregrip is not glamorous or pretty by any means but I like it. it adds stability to the gun in my opinion. She'll soon have a wood handle and stock peice.

#266801 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Whisper101 on 24 February 2010 - 08:48 PM in Homemades

An almost finished +bow for flipoffacliff. It just needs a handle which the polycarb is coming for soon. The "+" is engraved where it would normally be cut out.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Just some pics...

#238046 New Longshot Mod/integration

Posted by Whisper101 on 22 June 2009 - 05:32 PM in Modifications

Hey Great job!

Just one question- what dimension brass did you use for the new LSFG barrel?

Thanks,

Whisper...

#234590 The Best Double Shot Mod Ever

Posted by Whisper101 on 06 June 2009 - 07:47 AM in Modifications

Hey man! Great mod!! Awesome idea to get rid of those *%/"*$ shells!

A few questions though:

1.) I've neve seen 1/2" thinwall PVC - would sched. 40 1/2" PVC work the same?

2.) What kinds of darts does this shoot? Only stefans or streamlines and/or the darts that come with it in the box?

PLEASE EMAIL ME ASAP - I reeeeaaaally want to do this mod!!

My e-mail is: noahz9@verizon.net

Thanks so much,

Whisper...

#295623 Bs-12 Advanced Tactical Nerf Rifle

Posted by Whisper101 on 08 March 2011 - 11:31 PM in Homemades

That beautiful, beautiful lathework make me want to shed tears of slightly jealousy twinged elation. I feel like this is what we've all been striving for, but you made it happen man. PM me if you get the chance, I'd love to talk about those turnings.

#263618 Finding A Blaster For A Friend In A Power Chair.

Posted by Whisper101 on 28 January 2010 - 10:43 PM in General Nerf

A nicely made LpL might do nicely. It gets great range for its size and requires the same reloading activities as a NF...

#286687 Snapbow Mk. V, Revised

Posted by Whisper101 on 08 October 2010 - 04:43 PM in Homemades

I don't beleive you mentioned the lengths of the plunger rod, the roofing nail, or the diameter of the hole that one has to drill in the PC as well as the clothespin. I'm aware that the hole diameter is subject to variation but what do you typically use? What are the lengths?

#286698 Snapbow Mk. V, Revised

Posted by Whisper101 on 08 October 2010 - 05:46 PM in Homemades

Great!!! Thank you both!

#286774 Snapbow Mk. V, Revised

Posted by Whisper101 on 10 October 2010 - 08:52 PM in Homemades

I figure I'll add my 2 cents, as I am currently working on my first SNAP and have some comments and ideas.

In your writeup, the washers as well as a few other parts looked like theywere supposed to be eleven fourths of an inch wide/long. This confused me until I realized that you were just trying to say that they were one and a quarter inches long. I suggest adding a space between the two ones:

11/4" ----> 1 1/4"

I'd also suggest that you put next to the bushing that a +Bow bushing is essentially what you are using.

Also, wooden clothespins work just fine. Just be sure to DRILL the hole, not hammer it. Hammering it will most likely split the clothespin. I am currently using one on my SNAP and it holds up very nicely.

Just use silicone grease. It comes in a tub that costs about $4 at ACE and will last you a while. The silicone spray degrades polycarbonate and expands the rubber washers. I found this out the hard way.

#236932 Yet Another Longshot Mod...

Posted by Whisper101 on 17 June 2009 - 02:18 PM in Modifications

HOW DID YOU MAKE THAT SILENCER??? I LOVE it! pls email; I just gotta know!!

noahz9@verizon.net

#255816 Recon Cs-6 And Ertl Rapid Fire Shot Gun Mod

Posted by Whisper101 on 09 November 2009 - 07:56 PM in Modifications

Just beautiful man! All it needs now is a godd paint job and you've got yourself one mean mother F****er!

#281097 Double +bow

Posted by Whisper101 on 23 July 2010 - 10:56 PM in Homemades

I think I see where you are coming form Lt. You are saying that if the breeches were not linked, I could load breech one, fire it, and while I'm firing load breech two? Then while I'm firing breech two I could reload breech one? I see how that could work but the gun is a bit much to hold with one hand. It would make the stability and overall accuracy of the gun go waaaay down.

Thanks guys for all of the comments and ideas. I really do appreciate them.

#281089 Double +bow

Posted by Whisper101 on 23 July 2010 - 09:34 PM in Homemades

Zorn: This is better because you can combine yourself and your friend. I'm not sure you are understanding the fact that there are TWO +Bows in this gun that can be primed and fired separately. Besides, none of my friends Nerf.

What the hell are you talking about in terms of the breech? You open it, load a dart or two and fire. I'm not even breaking a sweat!

#281099 Double +bow

Posted by Whisper101 on 23 July 2010 - 11:11 PM in Homemades

Why couldn't I have explained it like that!!???!??!

#281317 Double +bow

Posted by Whisper101 on 26 July 2010 - 09:39 PM in Homemades

VACC: If, theroretically, I were to come to a war thyat you also attended, we could have a long winded and possibly heated discussion about this gun being pointless or not. However, I will not, so it appears we are at an impass. No seriously though, why then do people use +Bows at nerf wars if this gun, which is essentially two +Bows, has the same or most probably better function?

BigBen: No. Not funny. Ever. I like your breech idea though. On my breeches you pushe the PC peice forward to open the dart slot so your picture is not oriented correctly to fit this specific breech. Still, I see, and like very much where you're coming form.

#281076 Double +bow

Posted by Whisper101 on 23 July 2010 - 08:09 PM in Homemades

Because I just made TWO regular +Bows in one gun that can both be hoppered. I don't have any wyes.

#281123 Double +bow

Posted by Whisper101 on 24 July 2010 - 06:58 AM in Homemades

Split: I kinda see what you mean but think about it, if both guns are primed you fire the bottom then the top. You can certianly prime the top alone and fire that without ever having to prime the bottom. I thikk what you are saying is when getting rushed wiht linked breeches you CANNOT: load 1, prime1, fire1/load2, prime 2, load1/fire2....

Next point: Breech. Stop arguing about it. As Fome said, it' an optional attachmnet ant can be detached in about 3 seconds. If the general consensus is that it is impractical, someone send me two wyes ans I'll hopper the guns!

PVC arsenal: read the part about the ROF in the original post. Then read above.

#281074 Double +bow

Posted by Whisper101 on 23 July 2010 - 07:35 PM in Homemades

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Full body shot
Posted Image
Trigger
Posted Image
Everything but the stock
Posted Image
Before making this gun, when planning my objectives for the build, I decided that rate of fire was irrelevant to me. This is because with the invention of the hopper clip and the fantastic way that they work on high powered guns, there really wasn’t much to do in the way of improving the ROF short of buying a mill and machining a certain groove in a certain ½” X ½’ aluminum square bar *cough*ryan*cough*. Ha ha, no. What I mean is that this gun has a tiny boost in ROF in that it can fire two consecutive primary-worthy shots before reloading, but hopper it and I can have the same or better ROF than everyone else, just like everyone else. Make sense? I guess what I’m trying to say if you didn’t buy the aforementioned mill then you + high powered blaster + hopper clip=just about everyone else in terms of ROF. ROF is really not very different in a hoppered BBBB than in a hoppered +bow.
After that nice little spiel, here’s something that I just had to do.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Yup, that’s a PVC/CPVC breech X 2. It’s basically two breeches connected with a 1”X 2” piece of Polycarbonate with a stub of ½” nylon rod for a handle. Both breeches are 100% airtight and use 5/8” OD O-rings to make the seal. Both breech slots open at the same time. I like it. A lot.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Open
Posted Image
The handle
Posted Image
Useful links:

- Captain Slug’s Original +Bow Writeup: http://www.captainsl...m/plusbow2.html
- +Bow DIY thread: http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=10521
- Louiec3’s Dr. Frankenstein: http://nerfhaven.com...;. Frankenstein

Last words:
I’m extremely happy with this gun. If you don’t like it well, then, you’re not my friend (anyone get the Talladega Nights reference??!?!). No but really, I like it, it does what I want, it’s damn comfortable, and not nearly as ungainly as I thought it would be. Plus, instead of one primary shot and then one backup on the gun, I now have two primary shots! Next step is to buy a mill and make it pump action!!! I kid, I kid. The gun has given me some rather sinister interesting ideas though….

And because I know you guys will ask for ‘em, ranges. Upwards of 100 ft. A lot contributes to this I think:
-reduced plunger mass/weight
-skirt seal
-holes in plunger tube are a tad smaller than 5/32, 9/64 I think
-Use of o-rings to help seal
-combo of goop, e-tape, super glue, and more e-tape to seal in the bushing.

I sincerely hope I have accurately conveyed the nature of this gun and the various processes used to make it and in the process helped others to better understand it and hopefully someday replicate and improve on it.
Questions? Comments? Name ideas?

(YOU CAN GO AHEAD AND POST NOW)

#281072 Double +bow

Posted by Whisper101 on 23 July 2010 - 07:29 PM in Homemades

Before I begin this writeup, I have a few shout outs and comments I'd like to make. If you hate reading long prefaces and are more interested in the actual writeup then fine, but I'm gonna say this anyway because I think it's important.

CREDIT:

Captain Slug: For inventing the +Bow, the L+L CS, and for answering all my questions when I first began making homemades.

Louiec3 and Rogue: For coming up with the Double L+L and also for answering my questionsof which I have a lot.

McMaster Carr: Do I really need to explain why?

Split: For the discovery of the skirt seal

CaliforniaPants: For his idea of using O-rings to seal the hex bushing.

Lt. Stefan: For selling me some of his super special PVC.

Cheesypiza: For turning me onto wood handles by posting his wood handled L+L in the homemades picture thread.

Ben: He's a bit of a lurker on NRev but he did say this in response to the Double L+L:
"Wow all you need to do now is make a +bow version haha"........I hope he sees this.

Explanation:

This gun began to take shape in my mind just after Louie posted the Double L+L and Ben made that comment. +Bow catches and L+L catches are very similar and I thought that I could adapt what Louie did to fit the L+L's badass brother the +bow. I say catches because that's the key point to this gun, how the catch and firing mechanism is configured. I was right; the hardest part of the process was getting the templates right. That took some time and was frustrating as hell. After that it was smooth sailing though, just like making a regular +bow, with a few of my own personal tweaks of course! Now without further adieu, I present to you the Double +bow writeup.

1) Print out 2 sets of +bow templates, cut them out.

2) Grab both of the catches, front catch plates, back catch plates, the four sideplates , as well as all four front frame pieces

3) Combine the templates like so:
Posted Image
Here are the dimensions:
Posted Image
And now more clearly and detailed (I apologize for the crudely edited pictures. I do not have a CAD program at my disposal):
The front frame piece (you’ll obviously need 2):
Posted Image
The side plate ( again you’ll need 2):
Posted Image
The catches:
Posted Image
The front catch plate:
Posted Image
The back catch plate:
Posted Image
Those are all of the pieces that need to be modified. Any hole with a black X through it is one that I did not drill.

4) Now paste the templates on the appropriate polycarbonate pieces and cut them out.

4.5) For the second front frame piece and the side plates you can trace the piece that you already cut out onto
the protective film on the polycarbonate with a sharpie. Cut that out then line the two pieces up and use the holes that you already drilled in the first piece as a guide for the holes in the second piece.

5) Assemble! This assembles exactly like an ordinary +Bow except for the catch/fire mechanism, it just takes longer, but not twice as long as you might think! See the link to Captain Slug’s writeup in the Links section below. I have included as many in process building pictures as I can.

Here’s how the catch/firing mechanism works:

There are 2 catches. One is pushed down by a compression spring like in an ordinary +Bow. The other is held down by an extension spring like in an L+L. The extension spring is anchored both to the bottom catch as well as a hole drilled and tapped into the grip. If you were to think of the grip as a backwards L shape, you know, above where you hold the piece, the hole is drilled into the bottom of the L. If you were using a polycarbonate handle, you might think about popping an extra ¾’ machine screw through the handle to anchor the spring. The bottom catch is just tall enough so that I can prime the top gun and fire it without the bottom one being primed, I can prime the bottom gun and fire it without the top gun being primed, or I can prime both of them and shoot them in rapid succession or fire the bottom gun, walk around, and then fire the top gun. Think a double shot on lots of HGH and without the break action barrels and a lot, well, better in every way.

A list of the pieces that you will need TWO/double the amount of:

-IMPORTANT! A strong extension spring of some sort. I used ACE #71.
-[k26] spring
-Hex bushing
-12” polycarbonate tube
-2” 6-32 bolt
-6-32 lock nut
-Your choice of plunger head ( traditional dry washer, skirt seal, or grommet)
-13” plunger rod (1/2” nylon round bar or other. I used 3/8” nylon square bar.)
-Plunger tube cross
-¾” 6-32 bolts – you’ll need a total of 8
-#6 screw size Nylon washer- you’ll need a total of 16
-E-tape – you’ll need double the wraps
-ACE #61 O-rings if you choose to enhance the seal with them ( I did. )
-PATIENCE
-TIME
PICTURES!!! I’ll try to explain them as best as I can…
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
That’s right Louie, you’re not the only one who can do custom side plates!
Posted Image
The plunger rods: I used 3/8” nylon square bar because I had it on hand. It is very durable and I have not seen any signs of stress whatsoever. I changed the handles up as you will need to as well because the regular handles will not fit.
Posted Image
Posted Image

PICTURE LIMIT-DO NOT POST

#281073 Double +bow

Posted by Whisper101 on 23 July 2010 - 07:33 PM in Homemades

More pictures of the plunger rods…
Posted Image
The plunger heads: I used two skirt seals sandwiched between 1/8” and 1/4” polycarbonate circles.
Posted Image
The bushings: I wrapped them in E-tape and then super glued them in. I then sealed it with goop and E-taped over that so it would be purty. I am also using 2 ACE #61 O-rings to help seal the bushing.
Posted Image
Another view
Posted Image
PVC foregrip: optional, but highly recommended!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Wooden +Bow handles are da bomb!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
A good view of the extension spring
Posted Image
Various pieces of the gun
Posted Image
Posted Image
Back catch plate
Posted Image

PICTURE LIMIT-DO NOT POST

#257014 Heeelp!

Posted by Whisper101 on 22 November 2009 - 11:33 AM in Modifications

Springers work because of an increase in pressure (not because of blowing on the base of the dart). Best results are when this pressure is built up quickly. To build up pressure, you need to move as much air as you can, as quickly as possible. Small holes do not let a lot if air move quickly. Therefore, you want the airflow aperture from the plunger to the barrel to be as large as possible.

The pen mod constricts airflow. The smaller hole increases air speed, but actually reduces pressure (paging Dr Bernoulli...). Wing'd man is quite correct that you'd need more pressure from the plunger with a smaller hole...but really, it's easier to just make the hole bigger.

Exactly. Tantum Bull stated in his raider mod that the stock airflow range is more than the range with the pen mod. However, if you widen the hole with a drill, you should be able to get a good balance between airflow and dead space.

EDIT: linkage!

So i can KEEP the pen barrel and just drill it out a little?

#257018 Heeelp!

Posted by Whisper101 on 22 November 2009 - 12:27 PM in Modifications

Not to sure if you're comprehending what everyone is saying.

YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE PEN MOD.

It's hurting your ranges very badly. Don't drill it out or try to work around it.

Rip the damn thing right out and you should be good to go.

Just did that. I plan to get a replacement o ring asap.

#257102 Heeelp!

Posted by Whisper101 on 23 November 2009 - 06:37 AM in Modifications

I think anything over 45ft either won't last long, or is bullshit.

I took the ar's out of mine, and it hits about 40ft max. Fine by me.

Yeah, I just removed the pen mod and slapped a new or ing on and it gets around 40...Do you think the power stock I'm making will help at all?

#257005 Heeelp!

Posted by Whisper101 on 22 November 2009 - 07:17 AM in Modifications

Poseidon- even before the oring broke it got bas ranges

Bob-interesting...

Bennorco- i did the same with a previous recon and got the same results that you did.

Fallinottadabox- so shoud I do nothing to the place where I put the pen in? Should i just remove the pen or do something else?

Carbon- i have NO idea why this is in homemades. i am almost 100% positive that I put it in mods...

Xbox-yep, I plugged it.

#257125 Heeelp!

Posted by Whisper101 on 23 November 2009 - 05:31 PM in Modifications

I think anything over 45ft either won't last long, or is bullshit.

I took the ar's out of mine, and it hits about 40ft max. Fine by me.

Yeah, I just removed the pen mod and slapped a new or ing on and it gets around 40...Do you think the power stock I'm making will help at all?

Well If an extra 3 feet matters all that much to you then yes.

Gotcha.

#256980 Heeelp!

Posted by Whisper101 on 21 November 2009 - 10:47 PM in Modifications

Dude13- the oring actually broke.

Well there's your problem. At least in my experience, using other materials to mimic o-rings fails miserably.

Also, there is no real "rifle vs. pistol" debate with the recon. The main purpose of a stock is to steady your blaster allowing you to aim better or to simply add comfort. Regarding the former, the Recon will never get the ranges needed to require any sort of this "sharpshooting". It's ranges tend to not be much higher then that of a Mav and when was the last time you saw someone with a stock on one of those? In short, there's absolutely no functionality purpose to the Recon stock except for putting a spring in it which only increases its range by minimal amounts anyway. Just use the stock if it feels comfy to you.

So basically what you're saying is that I'm screwed?

Are you telling me to get a new o ring? I had a recon a while ago and with JUST the ARs removed it got at LEAST 40-45 and I would guess it would used to hit 50 on average. i'm really not quite sure what you're telling me here. It looks like I'll need to get a new o ring, but you're also saying that the power stock really will not increase ranges at all/by a significant amt.?

To sum up, even before to o ring broke it was getting lousy ranges. Just a bit less lousy thatn they are now. Somehow though, I don't hink that simply slipping a new o ring on there is going to fix all my problems...

#256975 Heeelp!

Posted by Whisper101 on 21 November 2009 - 10:16 PM in Modifications

Brit- that's some foam I put on the male end of the plunger to soften the impact of the two banging together.

Wing'd man- why would it need to be WIDENED? It seems to me that with the pen mod, the air would be more concentrated on the dart, hence a stronger airflow, and more range...

Dude13- the oring actually broke. When I tried to etape it, even without the oring, it got abotu 5 ft in range. This is because the seal was actually TOO tight. I'm looking for a scenario where I can use the gun BOTH as a pistol and as a rifle (w/and w/o stock) so i'd like to make the gun work both ways. However, IF I must make the gun solely a rifle w/a power stock, what spring would you recommend to go in the stock?

I'm still sort of in shock. have there any been a reports of recons that, even after modifications, SUCK EVEN WORSE? I'd REEEAAALY like to fix this up as I do really need a new passable secondary...

#257029 Heeelp!

Posted by Whisper101 on 22 November 2009 - 03:27 PM in Modifications

poseidon-Does that mean that all of the people in the directory who posted ranges of upwards of 60 ft. lie?

#256959 Heeelp!

Posted by Whisper101 on 21 November 2009 - 07:40 PM in Modifications

Hey all,

I modded my recon... Only to find that it now shoots all of 10-20 ft! WORSE than stock! I'm not sure what I did wrong. I removed the ARs, did a pen mod, padded the plunger head (male end), removed all locks, AND made a power stock. Still, only about 10-20 ft. I've seen people post some nice ranges for a recon (in the 60s and occasionally the 70s) and i just cannot figure out how! the AR was drilled out with a 1/2" drill bit if it is any help...

PICS:

Posted Image
Internals

Posted Image
female plunger component with about a 1/4" of duct tape to compress spring more

Posted Image
end of the male plunger component: white circle is the pen barrel, dead space is not filled-it's sealed with hot glue

Posted Image
Power stock: has a NF spring in it- I tried an ACE #49 but that wouldn't compress.

#256962 Heeelp!

Posted by Whisper101 on 21 November 2009 - 08:29 PM in Modifications

My guess is there's an air leak somewhere..

I though that that might be the case but i cannot figure out where! I plugged the random hole in the bolt... Where else could air leak out of? Would a barrel replacement sucha s the one dead dumpster did with PETG ( I would use a crayola) be advisable?

#259664 Soda Bottle Nerf Gun

Posted by Whisper101 on 23 December 2009 - 05:04 PM in Homemades

And that'll consistently hold? We've had some differences of opinion on this matter...