Duke Wintermaul's Content

There have been 354 items by Duke Wintermaul (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#332804 zombiestrike

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 08 August 2013 - 09:50 PM in General Nerf

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Or, next time we can just use Google okay?

#330121 Z-tech Arrows

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 22 May 2013 - 01:59 AM in Darts and Barrels

So, the Zing Toys bow has grown in popularity. I know of a few nerfers who use them, and regularly in wars.

Has anybody figured out a good alternative to the horrid retail three pack of darts? Who even wants the suction heads, so without that its around $6 an arrow. Surely we can create a homemade arrow for far cheaper.

As anybody here started on this faithful quest? If so, the secrets of your fletcher's trade would bring toy to us all.

If not, spit balled ideas are a welcome sight.

#359725 xd better than elite?

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 07 May 2017 - 08:00 AM in General Nerf

The XD line is a sham, a marketing scheme to get people to buy two of the same blaster because it's a different color.

Most are the same, some are worse.

The Retaliator lost about 20feetpersecond with the XD sham.

If you have a choice, get the Blue Retailator

#331156 Wristband Poll

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 23 June 2013 - 12:51 AM in Site Feedback

Only interested in the 'Nerf On or Fuck Off', absolutely will not buy a NerfSTRONG.

Cause i'm feeling belligerent.

#338152 Wrist Gun

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 09 April 2014 - 08:33 AM in Modifications

The spiderman and venom wrist blasters would probably do the trick.

#336966 Whistling Elite darts?

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 10 February 2014 - 12:19 AM in Darts and Barrels

Posted Image

As newt said, the whistle is less pronounced than actual whistler darts. The holes i have made are as large as they can be, with the bottom resting flush with the base of the head and the top sitting flush with the top layer of rubber of the head.

I fired it a few times from my modified firestrike, which I've chrono'd at 100fps. At short ranges i could barely register the whistle, but at longer ranges it was a little more pronounced. Again, the whistle was much less pronounced than an actual whistler dart.

I think you should not be pursuing this idea. The whistle is not prominent enough to be of any actual use. Creating the hole degrades accuracy and consistency of said dart. Although muzzle velocity is unaffected, flight dynamics are drastically altered.

#345943 Which should I get?

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 31 March 2015 - 09:53 PM in General Nerf

I cannot say enough good things about the Stryfe.

Get a Stryfe, remove it's dart sensor, and never look back.

#343588 Where To Get Best Deal On Large Quantity's of E-putty

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 16 December 2014 - 08:45 PM in Modifications

How does 68¢ per tube sound?

Pretty fucking great right? Good thing you need large quantities, because the minimum order is over 7,000 tubes.

#332990 Where can I find CPVC barrels for nerf guns?

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 13 August 2013 - 08:34 PM in Darts and Barrels

I'm fairly sure a local hardware store should have cpvc.

Open Google and search 'hardware zipcode', obviously you put in your own zip code.

Call the stores and ask if they have cpvc. Willing to bet one has it.

If not, as mentioned McMaster will have some. Alternatively, haven members are always willing to sell you some; for a profit of course.

#333812 What would be a good replacement motor for Nerf Stampede

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 06 September 2013 - 09:03 PM in General Nerf

You can just put out a WTB for a stampede motor. As it happens, i have one and am extremely willing to let it go.

Can we say $10 shipped? PM if you're interested.

#356669 What type of cpvc fits mega darts.

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 07 November 2016 - 08:23 AM in Darts and Barrels

http://nerfhaven.com...c-mega-barrels/

http://nerfhaven.com...l=+mega +barrel

#331462 What happened to the Buzz Bee Panther.

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 01 July 2013 - 06:07 PM in General Nerf

3.74 at meijer stores on clearance

Si, but these are the lesser black I-beam's.

Somehow, out of about 20 on the shelf, there were two of the full sized panthers.

#330504 What foam should I buy

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 02 June 2013 - 08:31 PM in Darts and Barrels

MHA is by far the best foam. You should buy some of their dart kits, especially since their darts are the safest alternatives out there.

Uh, snicker stefans are amazingly safe. They are also incredibly cheap to make.

Made a few, and they were war tested.

#358531 What are some good off-brand vortex rounds?

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 12 March 2017 - 07:13 PM in Darts and Barrels

https://www.aliexpre...rtex-discs.html

#337298 Welcome to Nerf Engineering

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 26 February 2014 - 01:24 PM in Darts and Barrels

Are you going to be taking attendance, do we need to print out a copy of the syllabus, and when is the first exam?

Looking forward to the Flywheel lecture.

#338028 War of Roses II (OH)

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 04 April 2014 - 12:15 AM in Nerf Wars

Assuming metal free substitutes will be okay in the dartsmithing genre? Specifically Snicker darts.

Put me as a maybe, we'll see how my course work is that week.

If I do show, I'll bring a core so we can do some DTC.

#330522 War Footage from Australia?

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 03 June 2013 - 01:44 PM in Site Feedback

I would put it in Off Topic. This seems the best place for it.
Even if, by definition, off topic is for anything unrelated to wargames.

My second option is the wars thread. Because, you know, its from a war.

#329832 vortex disc mod

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 14 May 2013 - 07:04 PM in Darts and Barrels

Disc Mod n NH

That doesn't tell you much, and it doesnt seem that his 'mod' does anything. I've heard rumors that gluing plastic washers to the underside of disc's give them more weight and thus more stability.

#332492 Voltage upgrade = burning foam?

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 30 July 2013 - 04:33 PM in Modifications

Duct tape will only peel off until the smooth outer skin is worn away. Then only the adhesive will be left on the flywheels, and it will not peel off easily. You will have to use Goo Gone or a similar product to remove it. Putting duct tape on flywheels is analogous to putting electrical tape over a plunger seal: it will provide better results until the tape degrades. Then you will have a sticky mess on your hands.

Perhaps you misunderstand the power of duct tape.

The outer layer will not wear away. How do i know this? The ominous 'blue buildup' still occurs from darts, although slower.

The tape will not wear away.

#332428 Voltage upgrade = burning foam?

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 28 July 2013 - 10:25 PM in Modifications

I personally wrap my flywheels in duct tape.

Wrap a single layer around the wheels, and cut it with a razor so the two ends match perfectly. Drip a dot of superglue on the seam and let gravity pull it down. This holds the tape supastrong.

I've never had my wheels come unwrapped, and the foam buildup occurs much slower.

#332485 Voltage upgrade = burning foam?

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 30 July 2013 - 01:25 PM in Modifications

Duct tape will leave a terrible sticky residue as it wears away.

False. Duct tape will peel cleanly off flywheels, and it also doesn't 'wear away'; it is a permanent flywheel wrap. That's the whole reason i use duct tape and not plastidip.

Isn't duct tape a bit slippery for use as added traction? The stuff I have doesn't seem like it would provide any benefit traction-wise.

Comparatively, the duct tape wheels give a slight traction boost. However, were not just increasing the gripping surface of the wheels; we are also decreasing the gap between the wheels. This provides much more 'traction' than stock wheels simply because the dart must pass through a smaller area.

#337516 Vinyl Dye and beyond

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 16 March 2014 - 08:07 PM in Modifications

I think generally the community only uses vinyl dye to prime a blaster, at least I do.

I tried using some white vinyl dye as actual paint once, while I did not experience the faults you are I can confirm that vinyl dye makes horrible paint.

Just stick to cheap spray paint, and use black dye for the primer/basecoat.

#334304 Ultrafire 14500 protected issues

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 28 September 2013 - 02:29 PM in General Nerf

Bought the wrong batteries mate.

I personally use unprotected cells.

I'm sure one of the electrical engineers lurking around here will tell you the exact difference, but all I know is unprotected = performance and protected = bad mojo.

Buy some unprotected cells and all your troubles will be gone.

#346807 Two questions about modding

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 17 May 2015 - 03:10 PM in Modifications

Paint

Springs

#333043 The Stampede that Stood Still

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 14 August 2013 - 06:23 PM in Modifications

You've got the tray soldered in backwards. Switch the wires and you're golden.

#333623 the secret oprv on the air max blasters.

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 01 September 2013 - 08:29 PM in Modifications

My pink tubing also failed on me as well, so I just replaced it with some vinyl tubing and now it works fine.
My pump also started to warp and eventually snapped so I'm working on reinforcing the tank, and replacing the old pump with a bike pump. But for now since your pump hasn't snapped yet, I would reccommend reinforcing it with devcon plastic welder or some other kind of epoxy/e-putty combo.

I guess you missed the part where I said I sheathed it in brass. I'd take metal reinforcement over epoxy any day.

#333615 the secret oprv on the air max blasters.

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 01 September 2013 - 02:39 PM in Modifications

I'm deeply sorry to tell you this, but dude, neither of those are oprv's....

This. I thought the exact same thing. After plugging the pump oprv and doing a rebarreling, I was dismayed to find performance was dismal.

So I went back into the blaster and performed both actions McGee suggested, and performance did indeed rise. These might not be oprv's, but they must have been leaking somehow.

Thanks for the info McGee. Oh, and two common failure points I guess I should tell you guys, the pump shaft and pink vinyl tubing. The pump shAft warped and bowed on me, making it impossible to pump. I sheathed it in some brass tubing, and now it's golden (in two ways). The pink vinyl burst on me fairly soon, so I simply replaced it with some spare fish tank tubing I had lying around. It's much thicker and I've used it to do pump relocations before. It's best to do these actions right off the bat, that way you don't have to reopen the blaster a few times.

Hope this helps!

#337917 The Rayven Dual-stage mod

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 31 March 2014 - 03:37 PM in Modifications

Ben meaning to make an afterburner system for awhile, me thinks you have inspired me to quit being so damned lazy.

Nice work, my only complaint is you didn't switch the Rayven trigger mech to run with an extension spring.

#346394 the nerf Rivals blasters

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 22 April 2015 - 09:08 PM in General Nerf

Posted Image

Zeus MXV-1200.

Posted Image

Apollo XV-700.

I think it's hilarious Hasbro is trying to market to the NiC, especially with a flywheel golfballshooter flagship.

The 'new ballistic ball' is reportedly .9" diameter and divoted like a golf ball.

"MXV-1200" = Motorized 'X'tra Velocity, twelve ball magazine. Multiplying the capacity by 100 just sounds better I guess.

#330848 The Last War of D.G.~Cincinnati war

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 13 June 2013 - 03:47 PM in Nerf Wars

Any news about change of site or anything relevant chop?

Two more days.

#329914 The Last War of D.G.~Cincinnati war

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 17 May 2013 - 01:32 AM in Nerf Wars

Confirmed + 1. What time are you thinking it will wrap up? Also, are Z-tech bows allowed? If yes, I'm a plus 2.

#336223 The Hyperstrike

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 01 January 2014 - 03:01 AM in Modifications

I like it.
-American Spirits
-Rapidstrikerapidstrike
-Dog looks like a boss

I didn't like parts.
-only 1 functioning RS :(
-Incomplete. No rendition of final product. Wait until the whole this is done before posting.
-meme

#336289 The Hyperstrike

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 02 January 2014 - 11:06 PM in Modifications

I agree, this is lacking and incomplete. It is unknown what specific weapon this supposed to resemble from Fallout(which I'd like to know, as I don't see anything resembling the this integration), why it is modded when it is clearly stated that it is a soft prop and is explicitly mentioned that aesthetics topple performance, or if it fires farther/faster than a stock rapidstrike (in other words, matching/exceeding the capabilities of a stock rrapidstrike and thus making it worthwhile to mod.)

I mean, we don't have to be Elitist asshats.

OP, I'd love to see this finished in our picture thread.

#331693 The Final Iteration of the 3D printed wye!

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 08 July 2013 - 11:01 PM in Darts and Barrels

Are you selling these yet?

At last notice he had some work to do. If you are careful, his current wye will work perfectly and last a long time.

If you are not careful, you will block the wye with your hopper tube and upon your first shot will shatter the wye.

If you really want one, pm kronos. My guess is he wont sell you one.

#329085 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 27 April 2013 - 10:26 AM in Modifications

Link to atomic mods. Not sure if this is the motor oreo is talking about, but damn i guess this is the tops.

#329057 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 26 April 2013 - 05:22 PM in Modifications

Maybe 3 trust fires is too much? Maybe it is intended to run at stock voltage or a little more?

The forward voltage rate is 9volts. MAV seems to be running them at recommended voltage, so i'm not sure whats happening for him.

I've burned two of these motors with 4s 14500 cells, but that was a controlled test to see what they could take and to know the warning signs. I normally run them on 3s 14500 cells, and have had no malfunctions. My blasters have not gone through a whole lot of use, so perhaps that's a factor. I'm looking for some higher quality Tamiya's to do some testing, but right now i have nothing definitive to say. If my motor's do shred, i'll be replacing them and running them on 2s 14500 cells to see how that works out.

I'm slowly losing faith in these motors as i continually hear horror stories of blasted and bombarded melted shreds coming from their use.

Mav13, it seems like more expensive higher quality motors are a better option.

#332442 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 29 July 2013 - 03:48 AM in Modifications

Myself included.

It's rather easy to pop them. I think many people forget these are rated at 4.5V, less than stock motors. At that voltage, the RM2's outperform their predecessors by having tighter wound brushes. Cool, works great.

Overvolting to 14volts (4*fires) and beyond will butter them kernels. Might even salt them too.

#329261 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 02 May 2013 - 12:52 PM in Modifications

Cambo, run them at 9volts.

I run mine at 11.2volts, and so far have had no issues with short term use.

#347253 The "REKTOR"

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 17 June 2015 - 02:07 PM in Modifications

Most users here on NH will tell you to use photobucket, but if you can't quite figure it out Imgur.com is a great hosting service.

I like it much more than PB.

#331746 Tek Recon

Posted by Duke Wintermaul on 10 July 2013 - 04:11 PM in General Nerf

Product
We will be offering the following:

HammerHeads ($25 each)
Havoks ($40 each)
Battle Packs ($50 each)
Packs of 25 NRG ($5 each)
Exploding Targets ($10 for a pack of 3)
Tek Recon Flags ($10 for a pack of 2)
Hammer Head Replacement magazines with 25 NRG rounds ($15 each)
Havok Replacement Cartridges with 72 NRG rounds ($20 each)

Ordering: Send us an e-mail at tekreconcommand@gmail.com and let us know the following:

→Name
→KickStarter Backer Name (if applicable)
→Product(s) you’d like
→Shipping Information

Payment: We will send you an invoice via paypal once we receive your e-mail order. Once you pay that invoice we will send you a confirmation e-mail to let you know that we’ll be shipping your order once it’s ready!

Shipping: US & Canada: FREE! International KickStarter Backers: FREE shipping on NRG, Targets, Flags, Cartridges. $15 shipping for blasters. New International Backers: $15 shipping & handling for all products.

Tek Recon is all up in this online mail order.

The nrg rounds cost 2022/25¢ per band.

With low modding potential, noninterchangeable blaster clips, and heavy focus on 'irl vidja game' these blasters were clearly not meant for the nic.

Good.

I look forward to the future of Tek Recon, and expect good things from them. Dropping $75 on a Havok, xtra clip, and 75 nrg's seems like something i want to do; just not yet.