Cartaya's Content

There have been 109 items by Cartaya (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#356297 Your thoughts on the Accustrike darts?

Posted by Cartaya on 17 October 2016 - 03:21 AM in Darts and Barrels

Some thoughts....Has anyone seen a X shot dart yet?  I think that is a much better idea for a dart, if they were only a little heavier.

I'm not exactly jumping for joy about these,  I dreamed for years the next Nerf dart from Hasbro would be better than the K'nex darts. Why couldn't they make a decent nipple-head dart with a soft head instead?  The head being collapsible could cause a lot of problems with sealed breeches and long barrels as where the K'nex darts have a taper to them to avoid that problem.  Oh well.   

#352542 Xplorer mods from singapore

Posted by Cartaya on 31 March 2016 - 04:52 PM in Modifications

I own a Spirit of Xplorer Blaster that was upped to 21 kg's and the barrel cut down to 11" rather than 16".  I also use their darts. 

First off, Go with a longshot kit,not only because they have more potential but because lots of other people make parts for the Longshot (Like Roboman, Worker, OMW, Artifact). The breech has a nice rate of fire, but don't overload the mags, I load 15 rounds in a 18 round mag and the jamlessness Is worth it.  Also, if you confine the pin on the Eco Hybred boltsled to not fall out of position, it can handle most heavy springloads, but if you want to go mideval! Roboman makes a cooking sled and you can get the Fighter kitinstead. On the Eco Hybred boltsled I use a 4-40 case 5 hardened screw with a #6 washer and threadlock.  Nylon nuts would be better, but they are hard to find in 4-40 size. 

The power of a Xarrett is achievable with one of the longshot kits and a heavier springload. On a Centurion Xarrett kit, Xplorer is the only company that makes parts for it, if you do get one, get the cnc'd catch plate. 

--Cartaya

#352495 WVNL Outdo[OR] Season Opening Event April 9th

Posted by Cartaya on 29 March 2016 - 03:11 AM in Nerf Wars

Ahh.... this was the event you were talking about.  Pretty good park?

#364484 When is the Next Armageddon? A Friend from Singapore wants to know.

Posted by Cartaya on 04 March 2020 - 10:18 PM in Nerf Wars

Yes, I know it's early, and I told him a date typically isn't posted this early in the year, but my Friend from Singapore (Ty Tan) wants to coordinate a group from his City/State to attend 'Geddon this year but needs a date.  I told him it's typically end of June and Ice9 runs it, but he wants more specifics that of course I can't really give him.  He was at the Last 'Geddon and had a blast.

--Cartaya

#359293 What was the first ever Nerf Mod.

Posted by Cartaya on 17 April 2017 - 10:09 PM in General Nerf

This is what I was afraid of actually, that Nerf History, like all history also being in the eye of the beholder, might also be largely forgotten.  Me not being that vintage into modding (maybe 2008 with one blaster, more serious 2012 on), I always love stories from veterans like Apollo256 and Baghead at S.C.U.N meets, mostly the parts I missed before being really involved.  I even Tweaked a Sharpshooter back in my Highschool days, nothing much, mostly the Darts with the fins.

--Cartaya

#359286 What was the first ever Nerf Mod.

Posted by Cartaya on 17 April 2017 - 08:11 PM in General Nerf

I know this is almost an impossible question to answer as written in the title, but maybe more like...

*What was the first ever "effective" Nerf mod.
*What was the first "published" Nerf mod.
*What was the first Nerf mod to do the community good (not necessarily effective or published).

I was wondering about this, thinking of coming back to Nerfhaven, hey what started this all?

Hope this question takes you back.

--Cartaya

#352581 What is the "best" spring for a Longshot cs-12

Posted by Cartaya on 02 April 2016 - 08:57 PM in Modifications

Most people like 14 kg's usually it's a 1.125" x 5.5" X.100 gauge spring with about 8-10 coils if you order from an aftermarket shop like Oznerf or Black Tactical (warning terrible shipping prices from BT).  Personally I like the Xplorer 18 kg spring, Have you ever looked at a Home depot spring and wish it were longer but the rest the same?...well essentially, that's what Xplorer did, build one of the nicest springs I have seen in recent memory. I have been using it on a lot of blasters lately because It's like an Everbilt 7/8"x4"x.080 (14 coils) spring from Home depot except it's stretched to 5.25" with 14.5 coils total (7/8"x5.25"x.080").  This makes it so it has a steeper wire pitch and more power, 1.3" solid clearance, but cut down to 10 coils fits most Nerf blasters that can use a 7/8"ths spring. 

However, a good alternative is to use a Century Spring Company C-882 spring and cut it down to 6" (15 coils).  You got to cut the spring, square the spring, file the spring (some would argue it would work just fine open coil but I try to be smooth about it)  The yield is around 14 kg's but it has a little more precompression and also costs $5 at Orchard Supply and Hardware.  If you use the stock longshot spring with that, it's almost 18 kg's.

#352586 What is the "best" spring for a Longshot cs-12

Posted by Cartaya on 02 April 2016 - 10:18 PM in Modifications

Well that depends how strong you are, if your a kid, yes, if your a teen/adult, no.

#345171 ultra match blasters

Posted by Cartaya on 23 February 2015 - 12:00 AM in Modifications

Thank you for your honest opinion and assessment, Can't wait till our next SCUN war. I am having a war in Porter Ranch on the 15th of March if you'd like to go.

I don't mean to throw everybody off, I just don't like the #6 Slugs, I never have, just a personal preference. Not trying to use a different dart to claim "hey this is as far as a Stefan would go" I just like the Xplorer dart system better and trying to say "with this shooting system these shots are possible". Stefans are much more practical than waiting over a month for new silicone tips and foam and not only that, most will never try to bag people at long range like I do.

As for my pistols, half the volume, twice the yield, close to the same results. They are small, light, single stroke prime and concealable but there is a price to be paid for that, they will never be as good as a well built homemade or an Airblaster, but for me, it's all I need :)

The Bird of Prey Type_L

#353209 Turret problems In Cycloneshock

Posted by Cartaya on 03 May 2016 - 12:25 AM in Modifications

Also, it has a really weird lock/cam assembly below middle of the plunger draw.  I have misassembled that before and not been able to advance the turret. 

#343084 The NIC Spring Database

Posted by Cartaya on 25 November 2014 - 03:37 PM in General Nerf

What do you people think of this online Spring Calc.

http://www.acxesspri...tant-units.html

And with it I got information on this spring.

Posted Image

Melnor Kink-Free Hose Saver spring

Price: $5 Home Depot

Pictured as 14 coils total, 2.6mm wire chromed.

As found at Home Depot:
All coils: 12
Outer Wire Diameter: 1.125, ID:.912
Length:4.5 inches
Solid length: 1.4 inches
Yield @ Solid length:20.4 Kg's

#355101 The BuzzBee Sentinel / Ultra Tek basic guide

Posted by Cartaya on 20 July 2016 - 05:12 AM in Modifications

You're advice on Facebook and your guides here on Nerfhaven have been a huge help with my own Sentinel.  Thanks Snoop, other than being the boxhead, you're going to be known for your work on this blaster far and wide.  Amongst many circles, you already are....

#355827 The BuzzBee Sentinel / Ultra Tek basic guide

Posted by Cartaya on 26 August 2016 - 12:31 PM in Modifications

Thanks Van, I did this to my X-Sentinel, so far it's doing great.  It's awesome but labor intensive,  I completely melted Nylon all over a Dremel cutting wheel cutting the spacer down to the profile shape of a Sentinel Plunger rod and catch, but it was worth it.  If anyone has any questions, shoot me a post or a private message, I will be following this post, I'm not the best technical writer in the world, but I enjoy helping others with their mods.

Also typo, my bad, it's a 1/2"x1"x .19 ID spacer to fit with a #10 threaded rod.  One could use 6-32 or 8-32 threaded rod to bring the weight down if so inclined, just make sure your spacer fits the threads of the threaded rod first.  Also if you can find threaded spacers, that is also nice, but not the end of the world if you can't.

I also found this and this, however not as cost effective as galvanized threaded rod and 10-24 locknuts.  Also, do put in mind, it's Titanium, reacts with Nitrogen, so be careful if you go this route....

#356183 T.R.I.C.K.S. Southern California costume war

Posted by Cartaya on 09 October 2016 - 02:59 AM in Nerf Wars

Going, see ya all there.

#356360 T.R.I.C.K.S. Southern California costume war

Posted by Cartaya on 20 October 2016 - 09:07 PM in Nerf Wars

Sadly, I just got my Ticket information to go to the Jet Blaster Mod reviewer conference in Singapore and it looks like I have to leave the day after the war not the 24 as originally planned.  Sorry guys, I had my simple costume (a cat) ready to go and everything.

1.MATTHEW CARTAYA/CHRISTOPHER MR                                              

2  QR 740 N 23OCT 7*LAXDOH HK1  1605 1805  24OCT  E               

3  QR 942 N 24OCT 1*DOHSIN HK1  2025 0915  25OCT  E                 

4  QR 945 N 28OCT 5*SINDOH HK1  0225 0500  28OCT  E                 

5  QR 739 N 28OCT 5*DOHLAX HK1  0755 1405  28OCT  E  

#352607 svenskt nerf krig!

Posted by Cartaya on 04 April 2016 - 05:45 AM in Nerf Wars

Greetings frum zee-a United Stetes. I ipulugeeze-a fur buotchering yuour luonguoege-a, I'm using Guogle-a Truonslete-a. Iff yuour Ingleesh is uny guod, pleese-a idd a suommery ouff yuour pust in Ingleesh. Ingleesh is zee-a primery luonguoege-a ouff zees site-a. Guod luock vit yuour ver. Yuou cuon meke-a it iesier fur Svedeesh nerffers tu feend yuou by setting yuour cuountry und lucetiun inffurmetiun in yuour Nerff Hefee-a pruffeele-a. Yuou cuon ilsu seerch fur ouzeer Svedeesh nerffers using zees deta. Bork Bork Bork!

Hälsningar från USA. Jag ber om ursäkt för styck språk , jag använder Google Translate . Om din engelska är något bra , lägg till en sammanfattning av ditt inlägg på engelska. Engelska är det primära språket för denna webbplats.

Lycka till med din krig . Du kan göra det lättare för svenska nerfers att hitta dig genom att ställa in land och platsinformation i din Nerf Haven profil . Du kan också söka efter andra svenska nerfers använder dessa data .

You know Swedish Langley? that is cool, but what is he saying for us Americans?

#352618 svenskt nerf krig!

Posted by Cartaya on 05 April 2016 - 05:16 AM in Nerf Wars

He used google translate on the post. The OP's posting about a nerf war somewhere in Sweden. 

That's what I thought too, but Google wouldn't let me use the translate function before I posted that, so I thought Langley might be up on his Languages, O well. 

#348616 Stampede on 9kg spring - Is It Safe?

Posted by Cartaya on 01 September 2015 - 03:44 PM in Modifications

I've ran 12 Kg's, but it beat the Stampede to shit. The OMW 6Kg is the best I have seen for performance/power ratio.

#343362 SoCal War: Christmastravaganza MMXIV

Posted by Cartaya on 07 December 2014 - 10:59 PM in Nerf Wars

Cam HvZ is going big this year, I am backbone admin, on the 20th committed two months ago. I would love to go but I do have this obligation. This could really drop your-their attendance levels for these events, I would put it on a different date.

--Cartaya

#345551 So Cal Tri-Valley Nerf War, Limekiln Canyon park 3/15/15

Posted by Cartaya on 14 March 2015 - 05:43 PM in Nerf Wars

I moved the war to the 18th of April, I just couldn't get enough confirmed players. I will Private message you so that I make sure you know Apollo.

#345186 So Cal Tri-Valley Nerf War, Limekiln Canyon park 3/15/15

Posted by Cartaya on 23 February 2015 - 08:52 PM in Nerf Wars

I am trying to make the San Fernando, Simi and Santa Clarita Valleys more active in Nerf and give people in that area monthly wars organized suited for Nerf battle.

The Tri Valley Nerf Leagues first meet, invite is open, mod limits is open to 350 fps. Eye protection and armor is recommended, especially if you have not encountered a NIC blaster before. This game is Hybred, modded stock and NIC blasters. Team DM, CTF and hide and seek will be played. Everyone who want's to play is free to play, theft will not be tolerated.

This is also on Facebook, it has certain people invited, but all are welcome to come.

https://www.facebook...11939015651078/

Posted Image

Posted Image

--Cartaya

#353011 Small Shotgun Pistol Mod

Posted by Cartaya on 24 April 2016 - 01:51 PM in Modifications

3 Times the darts needs 3 times the air and twice the force to go the same distance, or vice versa...
Basically...geting an airgun tank and making an absolver is a much better option than a messenger or a Triad...  or yea, use a Homemade....

#346608 Singapore's Revenge, 30th May, Noon (So-Cal)

Posted by Cartaya on 07 May 2015 - 05:14 PM in Nerf Wars

Noon, At Beautiful Limekiln park, 19585 Rinaldi St, Porter Ranch, CA 91326

Host Chris Cartaya.

*350 fps Mod limit, no hard ammo.
*No Super Soaker, airsoft or paintball based blasters.
*No Co2 or Compressors.
*Kid rule, players 12 and under with a blaster less that 120fps cannot be shot at by any player that takes the field with a blaster greater than 120fps.
*Zingbows, Mega's, Arrows, missles, rockets 1 hit KO.

Games:
Team Deathmatch
Capture the Flamingos (as Bob O' Bob would have wanted it)
Speedround
Pistols round.
Humans Vs. Sharpshooter

All honorable players allowed to attend, thievery not tolerated. Hope to see you there.

--Cartaya

#345854 Santa Barbara, CA Nerfers

Posted by Cartaya on 27 March 2015 - 01:47 PM in General Nerf

I know it's far, and they are mostly Modded stock. But it's the league I belong to and they are a pretty good group of friends to play Nerf with.

https://www.facebook.../norwalkleague/

Also the NIC league out here I really like playing with, they usually war in Glendora.

https://www.facebook...oups/SCUNGROUP/

Hit em up and I'll see what I can do, I live in Saugus.

-Cartaya

#354848 S.L.I.D.E. socal war

Posted by Cartaya on 06 July 2016 - 11:51 PM in Nerf Wars

Can anyone, if you have one, bring a gram scale?  I have no real idea how much my new flying ashtrays (Alpha Domes) weigh.  And if Ice is showing, are we playing a round of Carpe?

#354444 S.L.I.D.E. socal war

Posted by Cartaya on 21 June 2016 - 07:56 PM in Nerf Wars

Going, Might have my new alpha domes by then....

#354902 S.L.I.D.E. socal war

Posted by Cartaya on 09 July 2016 - 11:17 PM in Nerf Wars

Great event.

Cons:

* Slides were broken so the original part of the park we were going to play at couldn't be used.
*Sad that Bags and Apollo couldn't show, Nate always adds color and fun to SCUN wars and Apollo is just overall a cool guy.
*Moved around everywhere, but what this added was that we weren't playing In the same play area all day, although towards the end we were playing towards the trees mostly, just not...all day...
*Need to find softer Alpha domes, however not immediate as next war I'm going close quarters battle with the modded Longshot anyways, (I promised Roboman). 
*Lost every single CTF that day, but the other team had a runner I swear was on roids :) (just kidding) 

Pros:

*Nice park, not all grass or sand or pavement, good mix of all the above ample parking and relatively near a bitching however somewhat crowded shopping mall, always nice to have an air conditioned place to chill at lunch and after a war.
*During the second game of Blob where I switched the teams back in my favor, I did a Daffy Duck "Wooohooo Woohoo Woohoo"! Highlight of my day.
*Cannonball stepped up to the plate and delivered, excellent leadership skills which started out with him addressing the issue with the slide area and continuing to keep the meet alive and kicking.
*Roboman kept the games alive and kicking quite well once Ice Nine and Cannonball left, something I have seen many Nerf meets fall apart after...but not this one.

I guess i'll have to wait for next year to find out what all this slideball hype is about....

#351946 Recon Spring

Posted by Cartaya on 02 March 2016 - 03:34 AM in Modifications

It makes a good spring to fit between a retaliator/recon and the barrel assembly, reduces play somewhat. I used to do this a lot with my Retaliator builds as well as use a pice of hard velcrow as a gasket to get that barrel assembly staying in one place.

#356096 Pump Action Reaper Writeup

Posted by Cartaya on 04 October 2016 - 09:42 PM in Modifications

I think that PVC barrel will make a good housing for a sleeper breech barrel system later on, Good work man!

#351026 Post your Stock/Superstock Loadout

Posted by Cartaya on 22 January 2016 - 03:21 AM in General Nerf

11709845_569053079900763_822237458655324

Superstock:  (Velocities given for modded blasters only)

*Retaliator with an 8kg spring, Xplorer plunger, OMW aluminum sled, 100-115 fps
*Crimsonstrike Recon, OMW stage 2 metal parts kit, 6kg's, 75-90 fps
*Stock Rotofury
*Stock Rival Apollo
*Sonic Blue Magnus modded with double coil 7.5kg spring array, 85-95 fps
*Stock AS-10 Magstrike (Yellow)

*Longshot Plunger Tubed Pistols described in the NIC section, Firestrike or Sharpfire if game organizer wants me to be at a lower velocity ceiling below 200 fps.  But in local Super Stock wars, it's understood I play the long range player and most Event organizers and players and are fine with it as I maintain distance from opponents or will drop high yield pistols if another supertock player gets close and flip to the Retaliator.

NIC: 
Primaries
*An AT2K with removable Turret, switchable with 17/32nds brass barrels of choice. 245fps with turret, up to 290 fps singled @ 7 pumps
*2 Longshot Plunger tubed pistols based off the Nerf Rebelle Star-Shot couplered to speedload 17/32nd brass barrels, 19 Kg's and 28 Kg's, 215-230 and 230-260 fps Respectfully
*A Longshot plunger tubed Pistol, same as the above 2, except with a Carbine stock and a Tasco 2x7x20mm scope couplered to accept 17/32nd brass barrels, 32kg's, 240-270 fps

Secondaries and backups:
*An Xplorer Longshot, 21 kg's (18 Kg Xplorer and stock spring), Hybred boltsled, V5 breech, shotgun grip, 11" barrel, ZS shell, 190-215 fps
*A modded Bigshock, 21 Kg's, 140-170 fps
*A Sealed Breech Sharpfire, 21 kg's, 160-185 fps
*A brass barreled Firestrike, gold, Fixed barrel, 21 Kg's 160-180 fps

This loadout is made for long range assault and fortification of specific choke points in battle.  The Longshot plunger tubed pistols are my blasters of choice, one draw, one load, one fire I practice with them everyday and with Singapore darts they can just sail a dart well out of range of a typical opponent outside of a player with a 4B or a Titan tank based airblaster, with normal felt tipped slugs, they behave like a typical modded crossbow.  The Recon or Retaliator is more for close range and I'm going more for reliability than speed. They usually are on a magnetic clip holster, it's easy to draw is for if anyone comes within 100"-70" of me and tries to hit me with a blaster that is either hoppered or mag-fed, usually loaded with FvJ darts.  The Xplorer Longshot usually sits either at my fall back point or the point I am trying to hold.  It is usually used to lay down suppressive fire.  Often, I'll throw it to a teammate to help defend me or because his loadout just sucks.  Sharpfire, BaJ and Firestrike are usually used as backup single shot blasters, they have saved me more times than I can count.

Pro's
*Excellent, accurate long range attack effective in excess 60 yards with ease.
*Primary blaster is a fairly quiet, small, light pistol of holy terror! 
*A Decent close range backup.
*A holster system that is magnetic quick-drawable.
*Cargo shorts make for excellent stefan dart storage.
*Typically carrying 4 blasters at any time, won't lose for the lack of shooting back.

Con's
*Low RoF, not a problem however if your shot placement is good.
*Backup Mag-fed blaster is slower than typically what blaster is shooting at me at close range.
*Getting to a backup blaster in time is sometimes difficult if rushed.
*Darts for the Xplorer Longshot need to be 1-7/16ths OAL or it won't fit in the mags, picking up random ammo off the ground won't work. 
*Longshots Pistols cannot be hoppered (Theroetically) as they only use 66 cc's of volume and 2 1/3" of draw.  
1401521_568376416635096_5994397207782138

12241048_617306291742108_17347609221096212486023_636481909824546_791804515563237

#352784 PMS - Poor Modder's SNAP

Posted by Cartaya on 13 April 2016 - 10:38 AM in Homemades

I've just gotta ask because the #62 Hilman is one of my absolute favorite springs, how's the power?

#351647 P.A.T,RIOT Socal war

Posted by Cartaya on 20 February 2016 - 01:14 AM in Nerf Wars

No worries, I'm always hungover, Drinking Johnnie Walker Black at the moment, I'm kind of a high functioning drinker  :),  Have fun tomorrow, have fun tonight bud, see ya at the war.

#351793 P.A.T,RIOT Socal war

Posted by Cartaya on 26 February 2016 - 11:00 AM in Nerf Wars

It was a cool little war, that last capture the N-Strike round I thought would never end and I'm glad that the weather was nice too.  Maids are hard to come by :)

#351331 P.A.T,RIOT Socal war

Posted by Cartaya on 03 February 2016 - 11:38 PM in Nerf Wars

This ought to be a really great game, nice time of the year to play, not too hot/cold.  The games I'm gonna try is a Version of CTF where the player who grabs the flag (N-Strike Era blaster) has to defend himself with only that till he captures the flag.  Also a Version of HvZvH where the perimeter sidewalk (this school has a nice one) is a safe zone but you can't shoot zeds while in it and there is another team you have to kill, killing other team wins.

Other than that, usual fun, bring your blasters, shoot the shit, get some trigger-time.

--Cartaya

#351607 P.A.T,RIOT Socal war

Posted by Cartaya on 17 February 2016 - 05:10 PM in Nerf Wars

Oh and that Pistol spalt you gave me is cooking, took out the air splitter, put in a precomp spacer and it cooks, no coupler mods yet, But I like it!  You can use my darts for the war if all else fails, I PMed Nate on FB and asked him about the domes because I want to make sure SCUN is involved, especially in decisions like that which could change gameplay or safety.

#351731 P.A.T,RIOT Socal war

Posted by Cartaya on 23 February 2016 - 10:11 PM in Nerf Wars

No didn't have a camera, it was a small war, nice day, first war out I played since I was sick for a month.  I'll try to shoot some footage next time.  Scored a couple of 2K's from Dom and an original Sharpshooter.  Also got my friends singled Longshot up and he was at the war (Kyle).

Found an oval dent in my 12" brass barrel for my Carbine pistol, good thing it's couplered.  Didn't happen at the war...but would explain a lot.

#351603 P.A.T,RIOT Socal war

Posted by Cartaya on 17 February 2016 - 03:58 PM in Nerf Wars

Gluedomes? Well, personally I wouldn't have a problem, no pain, no gain. But I have to concede with Nate, Apollo and Ice9's judgment on this one.  Soft Silicone, no problem for sure.  Also Try X-darts, they are badass, I know the bin is usually on my table making it appear they are just for my use, but they actually are not, I just ask that I get back all we find at the end of the day.

Also, I am so glad you're going to show, be sure to bring the rockets as we are playing yet another game of Ding and in the HvZvH round, they will be zed killers (15 seconds or more out of stun) but only one per team will be allowed if we have at least 2.

#352584 Oznerfnerd Longshot kit

Posted by Cartaya on 02 April 2016 - 09:05 PM in Modifications

I would like to see a review on it too. Many of my friends who use it overseas are over the moon about it.

#349852 [CA] Christmastravaganza 2015

Posted by Cartaya on 05 December 2015 - 03:24 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm there, possibly +1 (if that's ok), My nephew on Christmas break from the Naval Academy, he'll be using my blasters, he want's to play a NIC war.

#350092 [CA] Christmastravaganza 2015

Posted by Cartaya on 20 December 2015 - 10:45 PM in Nerf Wars

It was a nice war......

* Weather was outstandingly beautiful, calm before a brief Southern California rainstorm.
* I thought you played just fine, Apocalypticamerican, you played very solid and if you were a total Noob, you would have used Ultrafires, not a LiPo on that Stryfe. 
* Sorry I nailed you in the nads Domm, I know where your aiming at me next war we play ;)
* The kid who brought the Orange EAT and scored all those hits in Ding at once (10 I believe, I got 1, and Dom scored with the Ultimator for the win), also worth mentioning.
* My first AT2K battle ever, and I absolutely love mine, Can't wait to show Roboman.
* I have grown more in S.C.U.N than any other Nerf league, but I still need to work on some stuff. 

As usual, a great war from a solid group of NIC players.