monkey with a nf's Content

There have been 107 items by monkey with a nf (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#120405 Dartsmithing Tips Archive

Posted by monkey with a nf on 19 August 2007 - 11:37 AM in Darts and Barrels

I've found when making CaptainSlug-style darts (which work really well- they're much more accurate than my old ones) it helps to squeeze some liquid nails onto a newspaper and then dip the dart heads in that. It tends to give them a much more even, thin coating. Also, I let the glue dry before adding the felt heads, which makes it easier to keep everything centered.

#99681 Dartsmithing Tips Archive

Posted by monkey with a nf on 12 February 2007 - 05:15 PM in Darts and Barrels

I think it makes it hug the barrel more. However, when I do it, it makes my darts fishtail.

#121198 Guide To Barrel Material

Posted by monkey with a nf on 26 August 2007 - 02:03 PM in Modifications

If they're taggers, really tight. I've found that CPVC is the tighest of all the common barrel materials (my darts don't work in it at all).

EDIT: Typo (stupid lack of google toolbar on this computer!)

#91590 Magstrike 20

Posted by monkey with a nf on 09 October 2006 - 12:08 PM in Modifications

Have you tried McMaster? They have tons of different sizes of PETG tubing.

#110664 Couplered Big Blast

Posted by monkey with a nf on 11 June 2007 - 06:44 AM in Modifications

To find the ideal barrel length for anything, use the following formula:

Air volume(plunger tube volume, or in this case, pump volume times number of pumps) * constant/(radius of barrel^2) , where the constant is a number between 3-4, depending on how tight your barrel is.

EDIT: Clarification

#99552 Hasbro Reveals Nerf N-strike Disk Shot (nerf Skeet Shooting)

Posted by monkey with a nf on 10 February 2007 - 12:48 PM in General Nerf

I think it'd be simpler to just use a simple breech deoderant clip, though. Of course, you can just do that on a stock NF...

#116838 Trigger Designs

Posted by monkey with a nf on 22 July 2007 - 09:00 PM in Homemades

I used a dremel cutoff wheel, though it took a while and heated it up a lot. If you don't have that, I'd recommend a hacksaw, or maybe a file (to file through it).

#118337 P90 Helix Ramp Mag

Posted by monkey with a nf on 05 August 2007 - 06:50 AM in Homemades

I'm glad you're actually building it (I thought this was someone who didn't understand "Thread Closed"), but I still don't think it will work as well as a simple box mag. The feedramp would have to be really precise, and the darts might not survive the ramp (or the ramp the darts, unless foam insulation is harder than I think it is).

However, it would be really cool if it did.

#106091 Bbb Mod Write Up

Posted by monkey with a nf on 17 May 2007 - 07:10 AM in Modifications

What do you mean by that? The breech allows you to put the darts in your barrel, not the PVC sabilizer.

As for a magazine, a rotating breech won't work (at least not in my experience). You might want to try something like the breech FA did on his ABBB.

#116457 Mod Difficulty

Posted by monkey with a nf on 19 July 2007 - 05:41 PM in Modifications

I like this idea a lot, and it should really help people gauge difficulty. The applet is a nice touch, especially due to the rather complex averaging.

I do think that AR removal should be covered, but instead given a 1 for easy (MS), 2 for somewhat hard (NF), and 3 for hard (LS). This seems to rate it much better than pliers and dremel as designations, especially because I've never heard of a gun that required a dremel for AR removal.

#120299 Kbarker's Lbb

Posted by monkey with a nf on 18 August 2007 - 04:36 PM in Modifications

The LBB has a valve, but the entire pump/tank/valve assembly is one big piece of plastic. This would make it much more difficult to splice something in, as telekinetic said.

#99677 Nitefinder Rifle

Posted by monkey with a nf on 12 February 2007 - 05:04 PM in Modifications

Very cool. What is the part number of the spring you used? I've been trying to find a good replacement spring for my guns.

#114883 The Bbb

Posted by monkey with a nf on 07 July 2007 - 09:25 AM in Modifications

The stock allows him to brace it against his shoulder, increasing accuracy.

#114884 Long Range Records?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 07 July 2007 - 09:40 AM in General Nerf

Bolts.niper's theoretical 200ft limit is only for standard weight, flat fired darts. Using heavier weights and an angled shot, you could get pretty much any range you wanted, assuming you had a strong and large enough tank, and a long enough barrel. Of course, then it's more like a small bore potato cannon than a nerf gun.

#116120 M.p.c.bar (mass Producable Clipped Bolt Acton Rifle)

Posted by monkey with a nf on 17 July 2007 - 09:39 AM in Homemades

This looks really nice, I might also have to make one.

As for the darts not staying in the magazine, you might want to make some feedlips out of brass or PVC to keep the darts in. You would just need to make sure that they are larger than the bolt so it can slide through.

#115019 Long Range Records?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 08 July 2007 - 09:24 AM in General Nerf

Yes, it's technically incorrect. I think he was referring to the fact that an object with the drag coefficient and mass of a nerf dart has its air resistance increase faster than it's momentum once you start to hit the velocities required to fire it 200 ft (on a flat shot), which is sort of like terminal velocity.

#117958 Please Help

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 August 2007 - 10:27 PM in Homemades

I think that's different, as it requires multiple twists to open, whereas a ball valve just takes a quarter turn. The PVC ones are notorious for being very difficult to turn, and while the metal ones are better, they still are pretty slow.

EDIT: Clarification.

#115989 Clipped At2k

Posted by monkey with a nf on 16 July 2007 - 03:28 PM in Modifications

When the tank is pressurized, the goo raises in the chamber, acting as a pressure gauge. Other than that, it's useless. It used to be popular to drain and seal it (supposedly to increase ranges), but cxwq showed it had no effect.

#118039 Please Help

Posted by monkey with a nf on 02 August 2007 - 03:35 PM in Homemades

You'll want to use a PVC size larger than 1/2" CPVC, as that is pretty small for a tank, and you'll have trouble finding a valve.

#120028 Tagball

Posted by monkey with a nf on 16 August 2007 - 02:52 PM in General Nerf

Lazertag? I don't think I've ever heard of a "Lazertag" nerf gun.

And yeah, a well modded NF (barrel replacement, seal improvement, stronger spring) with stefans can hit 70 ft, though I would call it more of a long-medium range. However, it wouldn't be able to do it with stock darts.

#106092 Humpty Dumpty

Posted by monkey with a nf on 17 May 2007 - 07:17 AM in Modifications

That is really amazing. It looks like you could get off twelve shots in a few seconds, assuming the hornet works the same a a Big Salvo with more barrels, which I'm not sure of. Can it fire in semi-auto? Or only all at once? Or both?

#108730 Is It Me?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 June 2007 - 06:48 AM in General Nerf

My impression was that the LS is bad stock. Unmodified, it can jam, has low power and horrible accuracy. With an angel breech, or just barrel replacement, it gets much better (X-bow like power).

#116515 More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Springs

Posted by monkey with a nf on 20 July 2007 - 07:59 AM in Modifications

I'm really glad that someone finally posted something like this; I've been looking for a good replacement spring for a while, but can't find anything that's the right strength. This should help a lot.

#99467 Petg Barrel Magstrike

Posted by monkey with a nf on 07 February 2007 - 09:32 PM in Modifications

I don't know about a PC (never had one), but there wasn't an issue. The original thread for the Magstrike 20 is here.

#107631 Sonic Air Bazooka Mod Writeup

Posted by monkey with a nf on 26 May 2007 - 08:03 AM in Modifications

Are you sure that the plug is airtight? I can't imagine how the pump would work if it was sealed as you say, because there would be no way for air to flow in front of the o-ring when the pump is pulled out.

#117213 Nite Finder Copper Barrel

Posted by monkey with a nf on 26 July 2007 - 10:09 AM in Modifications

I'm pretty sure that 1/2" CPVC doesn't fit in 1/2" Sch. 40 PVC, but it might in a lower schedule (though I've never seen it anywhere, even McMaster-Carr).

#112326 Longshot Clip

Posted by monkey with a nf on 21 June 2007 - 08:14 AM in Modifications

You don't have to use plastic sheeting. Forsaken_Angel used 1/8" brass tubing, if I remember correctly.

I think it helps to do this with short stefans and an Angel breech, just because short setfans will jam if they flip like in the stock breech. Of course, my 2 1/4" stefans have never flipped.

#137523 Dchap-2

Posted by monkey with a nf on 27 January 2008 - 04:19 PM in Homemades

Bringing this back, because I have something that seems like a problem.

I'm (finally- things kept getting in the way) building a DCHAP-2-based homemade. However, I'm wondering about one part of the design. Is the outside of the 3/4" endcap supposed to seal with the 11/4" PVC? With the one I'm using, there's a slight (something like 1/132") gap. Should I PVC cement it? Get a different cap?

#110662 Stock Ls Breech Petg Barrel Addition

Posted by monkey with a nf on 11 June 2007 - 06:38 AM in Modifications

Wait- why did you keep the dart tooth in? It will just make you lose air and push your dart into the bolt, where it can jam on the bolt/barrel connection.

#137563 Dchap-2

Posted by monkey with a nf on 27 January 2008 - 10:30 PM in Homemades

I think I might just use another 11/4" to 1/2" reducing bushing in the back (where the endcap/SCH 80 contraption is), with a 1/2" stub stuck in it to hold the o-ring in place. Should work better than the current design (and I don't have to drill any 1/2" holes in endcaps, which is a pain if you don't have a drillpress).

Of course, then I have to order more bushings (but I had to do that anyway).

#120297 Disk Shot Mod (advanced)

Posted by monkey with a nf on 18 August 2007 - 04:28 PM in Modifications

Nice. If this can get 60 with a new barrel and light banding, a spring should make it even better.

My only addition is to make sure that all the superglue is dry before hot gluing, as otherwise the fumes will be strong enough to make your eyes water.

#120163 Brass Or Petg?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 17 August 2007 - 06:04 PM in General Nerf

It really depends on your darts and gun. Read this. Brass has multiple sizes, so it might work or not for you, while CPVC is very tight. OMC's PETG is usually a medium fit on darts, but yours might be different.

#120166 Brass Or Petg?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 17 August 2007 - 06:27 PM in General Nerf

You might actually want it, for a springer (so that it can build up power- this is the idea behind nested brass barrels).

Also, I think he meant there wasn't much friction.

#103190 The Viper

Posted by monkey with a nf on 30 April 2007 - 04:19 PM in Homemades

I'm fairly new here, but my impression is that only ideas without any kind of basic plan are disliked. For example, posting "it'd be cool if you had a semi-auto mav!!" would not be okay, but this is.

I don't know enough about air powered homemades to answer most of your questions, but you might want to do something like the semi-auto valve in the homemades section here. It'd be cheaper than spending a bunch of money on solenoids.

#91500 Longshot With Bonus Nite Finder Ex-3 Sight

Posted by monkey with a nf on 08 October 2006 - 07:03 AM in General Nerf

No, it's a copy (I think, as I haven't seen it) of the NF "sight" that's just a red flashlight for aiming. It's too weak to see outside during the day, and I never use it on my NF.

#110306 Speedloader Mod

Posted by monkey with a nf on 09 June 2007 - 08:36 PM in Modifications

Probably, but it would defeat the point. It's pretty much a different-looking NF if you single it.

#112172 Important Dart Question

Posted by monkey with a nf on 20 June 2007 - 12:01 PM in Modifications

1/2" Sch 40 PVC has an ID of 5/8". It fits mega stefans (made with 5/8" FBR) and stock micros (the kind with the suction cup, as well as the tag darts).

1/2" Sch 80 PVC has an I/D of a little over 1/2". It loosely fits micro stefans (made with 1/2" FBR), assuming you're using Forsaken_Angel's FBR.

1/2" CPVC has an I/D of just over 1/2". It tightly fits micro stefans.

Brass is usually used in the 17/32" and 9/16" sizes. The former is fairly tight, while the latter is fairly loose.

Copper is much the same, but it has fewer sizes. (I've never used it)

Therefore, Sch 40 PVC will not work very well with micro stefans, while Sch 80 will. It would not be the same as using brass, assuming you are using 17/32" or 9/16" (which is what people will usually mean when they say brass.)

Edit: CPVC is a form of PVC. It is tan instead of white, and is smaller. The only size I have ever seen used for nerf (or seen period) is 1/2".

#122792 How Many Pumps

Posted by monkey with a nf on 12 September 2007 - 07:15 AM in General Nerf

If you want to get it to work, yes. If it's anything like the magstrike, it should take about 40 pumps safely, but the only RF20 I've ever had was before I started modding.

#111620 The Search Function

Posted by monkey with a nf on 16 June 2007 - 04:25 PM in General Nerf

This is very nice. Now, we have somewhere (besides the mods directory) to point noobs who ask "how do u mod a nf?????".

#121994 Bbb+ls Spring Combo Question

Posted by monkey with a nf on 03 September 2007 - 06:53 AM in Modifications

Note- the hole in the bolt isn't necessarily in any position- one of my longshots had it on the top, while the other had it canted to the side.