reversedracula's Content

There have been 163 items by reversedracula (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#21619 What!?!?!

Posted by reversedracula on 18 March 2004 - 03:33 PM in News

We Nerf indoors at school. We have huge undergrad academic buildings at our disposal at night though. There are some long standoffs with crossbows and the like, but multiple staircases and such make it workable. On the plus size, ring guns never really screw up and you don't often lose ammo.

#21650 Game Ideas

Posted by reversedracula on 18 March 2004 - 08:13 PM in General Nerf

What type of games does everyone play? We play indoors because we have access to large academic buildings with 30 plus people at a given game. It works out well with multiple stairwells, etc. Plus no wind to worry about and we're able to avoid losing ammo.

To get to the point, I was wondering if the games we play are naturally taylored to indoors, if other people play similar games outdoors, or what other games people like to play. So here are some of the game types we play. Please comment if you have any ideas for improvements or wish to compare or contrast to your game types. I'd also be interested to hear what types of games other people play.

Humans vs. Aliens: This is a standard two team game. One team sets up upstairs for two minutes, then have 20 minutes to attack downstairs. Everyone has one life, so to speak and go to a "dead zone" when said life has expired.

We also do a variation of that which just has a standard two army battle.

Vampire: One "vampire lord" goes into an alcove. We count up the other players. The vampire lord picks random numbers coresponding proportion of the players at random, usually about 10% of the players. Players walk by one at a time and the vampire flashes a "V" with his fingers to the vampires he selected. The vampire lord then has one minute to hide, and then everyone else goes to search for him. He can be killed by humans if they find him. However, after another two minutes have passed, the secret vampires become active. This means they can attack humans who may or may not trust them. There's no distinguishing feature between them that is necessarily known until they fire. Once someone is shot by a vampire, he or she becomes a vampire also. If a human shoots a vampire, the vampire is dead. If a vampire shoots a vampire, the vampire is dead. If a human shoots a human, the human is dead. We play until either the humans or vampires have been eradicated. Sometimes we'll choose a "van Helsing" to be a trustworthy human who is at least initially not the secret vampire, just for kicks. You must tell someone what you were when you hit them, usually you try to do so quietly. If the head vampire asks you what you are, you must answer truthfully. If you notice any inconsitencies or rules problems, I probably just left something out.

Animators: Two "animators" play without guns. Everyone else goes and disperses. They hide as evenly as possible where they will not see other players. After a set-up time has elapsed, the two animators (who are unarmed as stated) run in different directions and go to tag the "frozen" characters. When tagged by an animator, you join his team. When someone from the other team shoots you, you become frozen for sixty seconds and must point your gun DOWN. After said time has elapsed, you may be again unfrozen by either team, or used for cover in the meantime, which can be quite fun. When your animator is shot, you are dead.

There is also a variant of that called "assassination" where the animator-type players carry guns, choose teams normally rather than acquire them, and can have a team of people who die normally. Like above, when the captain is killed, the game ends.

Capture the flag: two teams set up as evenly as posssible in a given building. Each team has one flag to defend. When shot by the other team, you must take on a non-threatening stance, guns down, arms up, and "respawn" like in many online games. You usually respawn on the top floor above your flag, in most buildings we play that's the third floor, whereas the flag is on the first. We usually make crossing the third floor off limits. Shooting is on the honor system, when someone hits and makes that claim, you are out. It adjusts for the differences in force between a double-springed crossbow and a little secret strike. You win when you capture the enemy flag and return it to your base. If you are killed while returning the flag, drop it where you died. If you see your own flag, your first obligation is to pick it up and return it to your home base. You cannot leave it out in the open to hide your flag from the enemy.

Mole hole: This game is similar to capture the flag in terms of respawn and teams-picking. The only difference is that each team captain chooses a "mole" from among the other team's members. Moles may be drawn at random as a variant. The enemy’s flag need not be captured as in the aforementioned game. Instead, a proportional number of targets are placed right next to each other, usually four legs of a chair/table, etc. Sometimes fewer or more of such targets are used, depending on the number of players. This is defended at all costs. The point is to get enough players to these targets to touch them all at once. Each player may only touch at a time. The mole (spy) can touch one of the targets if he so chooses. The mole may falsely defend by having poor aim, or even openly betray his supposed teammates. Unlike in capture the flag, friendly fire counts. When a captain thinks he has found the enemy mole, he may fire at the mole. Once discovered, the mole’s respawn point will switch to the side he has actually been secretly working for. However, captains must be wise. If they shoot the wrong person, even by accident, that person will also leave the captain’s team and respawn on the opposite side, so captains must search for the mole judiciously. If anyone else on the same team shoots each other, they must respawn on their usual side as if killed by the enemy. Only captains will know who their moles are, so the mole who has infiltrated their own teams will not go back and tell their actual captain.

Jailbreak: Two teams are set up like capture the flag. There is a 20 minute time limit. Each team, when they kill the enemy, captures them instead of taking them out of play. By shooting their own (static) team members in the (heavily defended) enemy jail, they can free them. Once freed, a player must demonstrate a non-threatening stance and return to his own side’s jail before re-entering play. This prevents massive prisoner uprisings. Whoever has the most free people at the end of the game wins.

In all games where applicable, teams are to be divided as equally as possible. When captains must decide on something, they are to do a rock, paper, scissors competition. Winner decides whether to pick first or pick another advantage (which side of an asymmetrical building to start out at, etc.) and let the other captain pick first. Teams may need to be divided unevenly given certain inherent designs of buildings, outdoor areas, etc.

What are some other game ideas you folks like to play?

#21931 At4000? Or At3000?

Posted by reversedracula on 21 March 2004 - 01:30 PM in General Nerf

Agreed. The AT2k is a great gun, mainly because if you don't want to go all out to put new barrels on, etc., it's quite simple to just break off the barrels where they've been glued. With larger guns with an auto-rotator like the AT3k, I believe the rotating mechanism makes it much more difficult to just break off the barrels and take out the air restrictors. (this is assuming you're just going to keep the original barrels and aren't taking the saw and other goodies to the gun.) Even still, the AT2k mods quite well, and keeps a nice size.

#21937 Irritating Situation

Posted by reversedracula on 21 March 2004 - 01:40 PM in General Nerf

The solution here is to learn to dodge. I've got friends who're slowly breaking their crossbows to shoot farther and farther and others who've added springs to their ArrowStorms. We've got modded Max Shots, Airzookas, etc. also. If you do a bit of practice at 20-30 feet or so, you can learn to get out of the way pretty well, even in a hallway. What's even more entertaining is when people try to use a Tornado or Firestorm effectively against you after you're used to dancing around crossbow and SM5k shots. Of course, these antics make your more of a novelty, and allow you only to really carry one gun larger than pistols you can holster, i.e. a gun that swings on a strap. (In our games, when your gun is hit, you're hit.)

#21971 Virginia Nerfers?

Posted by reversedracula on 21 March 2004 - 07:53 PM in Nerf Wars

We play just about every week in Williamsburg on Saturday nights indoors with about three dozen people... after careful conferring with Groove after seeing "Williamsburg", it seems I've already been playing with him before, knew him in real life, but hadn't realized it.

#21993 Virginia Nerfers?

Posted by reversedracula on 21 March 2004 - 10:57 PM in Nerf Wars

If you want to get on board with the sci-fi club at my school that notifies about Williamsburg games (weekly events with dozens of folks) let me know over AIM, please. (This is also my AIM name.)

#22010 Irritating Situation

Posted by reversedracula on 22 March 2004 - 02:11 AM in General Nerf

If everyone used these nice, simple unmodded guns, no one would complain about arms-race gaps. It's amazing what an e-bay Nerf filter will give you sometimes.

http://newageprototy...m/FANCANNON.HTM

I'd like to use teddy bears as ammo.

#22148 Irritating Situation

Posted by reversedracula on 23 March 2004 - 11:10 AM in General Nerf

Actually, the club that runs the thing may have a ban on heavily modified guns going into effect soon, only because it's mostly close-range and indoors. i.e. stefans and such would be out, as would probably be barrel extensions for greater distance, doubling up on arrowstorm or crossbow springs, etc. Little stuff like taking out air restrictors on a Nite Finder or AT2k would be fine. We've had some injuries and such simply due to the close-range of everything. More to follow for those of you who play with us.

#22326 At3000 Or At2000?

Posted by reversedracula on 24 March 2004 - 07:57 PM in Modifications

I perfer the AT2k because it's easier to take out air-restrictors and replace the old barrels back in if you're not planning to do anything else to it. On my friend's AT3k the rotator mechanism broke... quite annoying. I'm looking into getting an AT4k and wondering if it's the same situation... anyone know?

#22411 Irritating Situation

Posted by reversedracula on 25 March 2004 - 10:28 PM in General Nerf

Heh. Going from Williamsburg to "The Garden State" this summer for break. I'll be in South Jersey. I understand much happens there, VACC? Please let me know. I'd like to meet up with some folks. Oh, and Groove is awesome for taking this whole situation with our group so well. We respect each other i.e. him and our club sort of deal that runs these things, and he was cool about it. If anyone mangled his ammo at our games (more toned-down as they may be), I'd make sure they paid for it or replaced it before they could play again. I've got your back, Groove. :w00t:

#22439 NerfHaven: Tribal Council

Posted by reversedracula on 26 March 2004 - 01:44 AM in Site Feedback

I just put my vote toward Canada, eh? Hope that clears things up, cxwq.

#22620 Bush's Space Plans

Posted by reversedracula on 28 March 2004 - 01:57 AM in Off Topic

Is this NerfHaven? Or a Fark flamewar? I know anything goes in this section but it's still disconcerting I suppose to read this sort of thing here. Maybe new reentry tiles from this Mars project will bring us a cheaper, better foam that won't heat up no matter how fast we fire it.

#22622 Any Nj Eb Nerfers Out There?

Posted by reversedracula on 28 March 2004 - 01:59 AM in Nerf Wars

My folks live in New Jersey. I'll be there this summer when not in school. I live in Camden county, sort of in the south, near Philly. Let me know where you folks all play, etc.

#22788 Campus Nerf

Posted by reversedracula on 29 March 2004 - 05:03 PM in General Nerf

I sort of half run these games that our dear threadstarter has spoken of. I'm trying to deterline if he's the offical person in charge of these games looking for suggestions, or just someone who plays in them looking for information. If you are not in fact the person offically in charge of our games, let me assure you I am in close contact with him and we will be dealing with the administration and are meeting to discuss said issue tonight; if you're on the listserv, you should know already. Our hope is to reconcile some sort of permit with the administration and work in closer contact with the police. I will keep you updated as to the result. We're working night and day to sustain our 30+ gamers that we've come to know and love.

#22912 Campus Nerf

Posted by reversedracula on 30 March 2004 - 03:35 PM in General Nerf

If anyone lives at all near southeastern VA, you're welcome to come play with us. We have about three dozen on average every week, and play from about 9PM to 3AM (which is awesome).

#22940 Simple Homemade Gun

Posted by reversedracula on 30 March 2004 - 06:55 PM in General Nerf

This is my idea for a simple homemade gun. Materials you will need include two rubber plunger heads (the kind you clean a toilet with), three feet of washing machine hose or vinyl hose, and 10 inches of 1/2 inch PVC. You also need lots of duct tape. This will fire microdarts about 50 feet if properly done. First, stuff one end of the washing machine hose between the plungers. Make sure the plungers face each other to make a pump. Tape the thing together tightly. Fit the PVC into the other end of the washing machine hose. Tape up that end also. To load the dart securely, slide it somewhat into the barrel. Covering the barrel with your hand, press down (with your foot) hard on the two plunger heads. Let the vaccuum pull the dart in (but not all the way into the hose shaft). This will allow the dart to accelerate up the length of the barrel. I haven't tried this with Stefans or anything, but I'm sure if you find the right barrel, this would likely work with any ammo. What I then suggest is making a PVC tripod to mount said guns so you have a sort of area defense gun you can mount and stomp hard as you see fit. I don't have a camera and haven't done extensive range testing. This is basically a rehash of the old Nerf stomp gun that fired arrows back in the day, redone for other ammo. Let me know what you think.

#22954 Simple Homemade Gun

Posted by reversedracula on 30 March 2004 - 08:25 PM in General Nerf

I'm hitting 50' constantly with stock micros and a decent stomp from a 140 pound guy, so long as the micros are loaded properly. The acceleration in the barrel helps. You are correct in that it is difficult to aim. It's cool to wrap around my back with the pump in one hand and the gun firing off of one shoulder. This is my protest to my campus police who do not want me using "facsimile weapons" that might be mistake for real guns in the dark. Anyway, I think if it were mounted, it could be aimed better.

#22993 Campus Nerf

Posted by reversedracula on 30 March 2004 - 11:13 PM in General Nerf

We'll mostly be home. Some people may be here over the summer, not sure. They'd be people more likely who live here than just go to school here. I'm hoping to meet up with more nerfers over the summer in South Jersey... We'll see. We'll definitely be playing next year starting in late August and going until May likley. We play the full ACADEMIC year, sadly, not much in summer, we'd not be able to organize a dozen people, but I could connect you to people to meet possibly... in short, mostly everyone will be gone, including me. Sorry.

#23031 Campus Nerf

Posted by reversedracula on 31 March 2004 - 12:53 PM in General Nerf

Thanks, I'll keep you updated, of course. If you weren't there becuase... er, if you really are hurting for a gun that fires stock darts, (if you don't consider that denegration from Stefans) we've got many you can borrow if you. are still interested in playing. If that's not why you were abscent, then nevermind, hehe.

#23101 Simple Homemade Gun

Posted by reversedracula on 31 March 2004 - 11:00 PM in General Nerf

We play indoors and have a house stock ammo rule. Yeah, the aim isn't so good, and I had the missile-stomp in mind when I designed it because I wanted one that fired darts instead of arrows. Found another cool gun at k-mart, it's one of those big yellow water guns that you draw back and the water comes in and you fire it out of a nozzle... direct pressure gun. I sawed off the nozzle and it fires up to eight balls now, distance decreases with each ball because the force behind each decreases--still fun. And, the "trigger" has a flashlight!

#23139 Campus Nerf

Posted by reversedracula on 01 April 2004 - 03:51 PM in General Nerf

Sure thing, Evil. Just keep me informed here or on AIM or something.

#23190 Any Nj Eb Nerfers Out There?

Posted by reversedracula on 01 April 2004 - 08:08 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm outside of Philly in the 'burbs. I'll take my strip malls and Philly area before dismal North Jersey any day. Plus, the banjos aren't always so loud. I more have to put up with 295 and the Turnpike.

#23246 Powerclip Problem

Posted by reversedracula on 02 April 2004 - 08:54 PM in Modifications

I'm having a powerclip problem myself. I just got one new in box, yet when I pump it the recommended 12-15 times, the clip only advances through five, six or seven darts and then gets stuck. It seems the little green thing with the black flipper doesn't want to go forward after that. Is my gun using more pressure for each shot than it should be somehow? That's my best guess. Please help if you have any suggestions. I can repump it and finish off the clip almost. Please help if you have any ideas. Thanks!

Upon further review, I've discovered it happend to come from the factory without one of the things that holds the clip in place. So if anyone knows a particular method of fixing it that worked for you, (looking hopefully at ompa) please let me know.

#23348 Blow Guns?

Posted by reversedracula on 03 April 2004 - 10:29 PM in General Nerf

I found some great, cheap blowguns at some KB clearence store near me. I was originally just buying said two dollar guns for the cheap megadarts that came with them, but found that I could load a blowgun with five darts and get a good spray about 40 feet in front of me, firing all five darts at once. Of course, it can be awkward to aim... I ducttaped ten of the suckers together and put a sling on it, so it doubles as an ammo battery for my ArrowStorm and it's own weapon. Still, wearing so much stuff is bulky.

#23362 Blow Guns?

Posted by reversedracula on 04 April 2004 - 12:30 AM in General Nerf

Mine weren't expensive, two bucks each with five megadarts. The tradeoff for the tight fit and high pressure you get from PVC, etc. is that when the barrel is slightly looser, you can load up as many darts as you have barrel length to hold them, all at approximately the same distance in a fun shotgun spray, for me 40 some feet or so.

#23510 I Need Help

Posted by reversedracula on 05 April 2004 - 12:58 AM in General Nerf

Never heard of the Tek Twelve, unless he means an AirTech 4k. If he means the Tek 10 by Honey Bee Toys, it's a great gun for indoor wars. Just make sure you get one with round barrels instead of the weird hexagonal ones with the strange pins inside that snag and split your darts when they burst them. Otherwise, you have essentially a semiautomatic gun that cocks quickly. Leave it alone, you'll get 25-30 feet with deadly accuracy, fine for indoors. If you're playing outdoors, look for some Nerf name-brand air-pressure tank gun to stick some new barrels on.

#23529 Powerclip Problem

Posted by reversedracula on 05 April 2004 - 11:05 AM in Modifications

After fixing the seal on the purple part behind the trigger with some goop, the powerclip works fine again. I glued in a sawed-off chunk of a Stefan as a placeholder for the side without the tracking wheel, etc. Seems to work okay.

#24083 Tek 6 Or Unmodded/modded Airtech 2000

Posted by reversedracula on 12 April 2004 - 02:57 PM in General Nerf

For the usual indoor games I play, the Tek Ten is probably the best close-range gun on the market today. The AT2k has better range, and using standard ammo without barrel mods, is on par with the nite finder at about 50-55 feet. The Tek guns get about 35-40 feet without modding. I've found there are two versions of the Tek Ten, one that has round barrels and another with stupid hexagonal barrels that doesn't fire stock micros or Stefans easily; it splits them. Oh, and don't use a Tek six. Either upgrade to the ten with the round barrels or use the AT2k.

#24158 Powerclip Problem

Posted by reversedracula on 13 April 2004 - 02:34 PM in Modifications

You should've just used some plumber's goop to reseal that purple part, if that is indeed what was leaking. Too late for that now though if you already cut it. Sigh.

#24217 Powerclip Problem

Posted by reversedracula on 14 April 2004 - 12:45 AM in Modifications

Ouch, sounds difficult. Good luck.

#24451 How Many Max Pumps For At2k

Posted by reversedracula on 18 April 2004 - 12:18 AM in Modifications

I only get 2, sometimes three pumps max before it really starts to feel difficult to pump it. I get about two hard pumps on average and couldn't even force more than three, but I guess it all depends on connections, the efficiency of an individual pump plunger, etc. I'd never go over the recommended 3 that it says on the box if you want your gun to last you.

#24496 How Many Max Pumps For At2k

Posted by reversedracula on 19 April 2004 - 12:39 AM in Modifications

Refer to this.

http://nerfhaven.com...cxwq_liquitron/

#24573 Building A Custom Pc

Posted by reversedracula on 20 April 2004 - 05:53 PM in Off Topic

Make sure that the part that advances the clip up functions properly. Also, make sure the screws around the orange clip itself aren't too tight or too loose. Take out the restrictors if you want. Unless there's some air leakage, you'll find you have a decent PC with minimal customization.

#24588 Building A Custom Pc

Posted by reversedracula on 20 April 2004 - 07:10 PM in Off Topic

It was a joke in poor tastes on my part; coudn't resist.

#24814 Nerf Mine

Posted by reversedracula on 25 April 2004 - 03:36 PM in Homemades

I've done something like this before. I just duct-taped two plunger heads (not from gun internals, like... from plumbing) together, and then attached a length of PVC that fired up... to make it so there's more of an air bladder to step on, you can attach vinyl tubing to the bladder, and then attach that to PVC. You can then place the PVC wherever you want as a sort of trap, or as a ranged defensive function, I guess. The air bladder reinflates itself easily. The only problem is it isn't set off by an indirect or very light step. Not enough weight to get the dart flying out.

#24852 Tek 6 Or Unmodded/modded Airtech 2000

Posted by reversedracula on 25 April 2004 - 10:26 PM in General Nerf

Tek Ten is like a Tek Six but with standard length barrels, so it can comfortably fit a microdart. It also has ten shots, of course. Pull back the top part just like the lock'n'load, and pull the trigger. You can shoot almost as fast as a blastfire, but it requires two hands, and you don't get quite the distance. Also, there are two kinds of Tek Tens, some with hexgonal barrels and some with round. The round ones fire Nerf stock in addition to Buzz Bee Toys stock, and they don't split your darts the way the one with hexagonal barrels does, so look down the barrels. I purchased mine at K-Mart.

#24934 Will The Fun Last?.......

Posted by reversedracula on 26 April 2004 - 10:33 PM in General Nerf

I'd like to point out I have 15 year old guns sitting around from the early Nerf days of my childhood... what's another decade on top of that? So they say "Made in China" instead of "Made in Mexico" meh.

#25108 Political Debate

Posted by reversedracula on 28 April 2004 - 11:44 PM in Off Topic

I praise Warlock's thoughts... While there is nice to some fierce, intelligent political debate on these boards, I'm afraid this place is going to turn into Fark political threads or something like that. While political issues are important, it seems more and more threads here every day focus on them rather than the reason we all do gather here to chat. I'm not saying this shift is necessarily all that bad, just don't forget about your foam-lust in the process.

#25653 Age

Posted by reversedracula on 06 May 2004 - 10:06 PM in General Nerf

We have doezens of 18-25 year olds that play with me... ah, college and the surrounding grad students.

#26735 Modding A Techtarget To Use Miniammo

Posted by reversedracula on 22 May 2004 - 07:37 PM in Modifications

I just did the same thing to an eagle eye with a crayola barrel today and some duct tape. I'm really excited about this new clear duct tape. Anyway, anything that's the right size for micros (1/2") that you can shove into the barrel tightly should work.