KBarker's Content

There have been 122 items by KBarker (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#122352 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by KBarker on 07 September 2007 - 06:08 PM in Modifications

Some of my newer mods:

LBB with dual SMDTG integration, mod here:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Longshot with an Angel breech, CaptainSlug foregrip, and AR removal/added spring.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#99774 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by KBarker on 14 February 2007 - 03:17 AM in Modifications

These mods are posted in detail around the forums, but I hadn't posted them here yet. Here are my guns:

My PETG Magstrike:
Posted Image

Posted Image

My minimized NiteFinder, has an aluminum barrel and custom belt clip:

Posted Image

My clipped NiteFinder, has 6 and 10 shot removable magazines:

Posted Image

Posted Image

My Maverick, with CPVC barrels:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And my NiteFinder Rifle, with a double length PETG plunger tube and huge spring:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#122236 Modifying A Longshot?

Posted by KBarker on 06 September 2007 - 02:48 PM in Modifications

Another possibility is that the bolt isn't quite going back far enough to fully catch, due to different springs or moving the bolt nub. I found you can fudge that and make the bolt travel a bit farther by dremelling a few spots down on the case.

#122655 Modifying A Longshot?

Posted by KBarker on 11 September 2007 - 01:55 AM in Modifications

Are there any non-obvious spots to dremel down, or did you just lengthen the track the charging rod travels on?
If there are other spots, could you possibly point them out? My charging rod bent, and straightening didn't work too well.

IIRC correctly there were 3 spots total, the slot where the rod goes through and a couple inside. I can't remember exactly where they were, it took some experimenting to figure it out. I believe they were on the right side of the gun. That rod is really easy to replace, it should be easy to find something at a hardware store that'll work.

#142418 The Vulcan

Posted by KBarker on 24 February 2008 - 07:18 PM in General Nerf

I don't think it would be that hard to convert it to run off of rechargeable batteries kind of like an RC car

Thats going to be one of the first things Il be diong to this when it comes into my hands.

Yeah, I kinda laugh at all the people who complain about the 6 D batteries. I doubt I'll even buy the stock batteries, since I'll have it running on lithium polymer batteries in about 5 minutes.

#138340 +bow: Diy Thread

Posted by KBarker on 03 February 2008 - 03:36 AM in Homemades

I use paper templates a lot for all sorts of parts, and I attach them with thin double-stick tape. You don't have to get it on there real good, just enough so that it doesn't shift around while you're cutting and drilling. CS, could you try uploading your CAD files to www.3dcontentcentral.com? It converts the files into whatever format you want when someone downloads it.

#164676 The Vulcan: Internals And Mods! New Mods Pg.9!

Posted by KBarker on 26 July 2008 - 06:40 PM in Modifications

I would really like to see a firing video with two chains hooked together.

#119276 Magstrike Modification.

Posted by KBarker on 12 August 2007 - 03:53 PM in Modifications

Yeah, I saw that. But I'm not sure if it's the same PETG as OMC's. I guess the longer barrels like that probably help if it is OMC's PETG, since it's looser than the 17/32" brass.

Yes, I use OMCs PETG, and Forsaken's red foam. The gun shoots real well, but of course with 3" barrels you can only use stefans. I believe the longer barrels improve the range though.

#103741 Maverick Drop Clip

Posted by KBarker on 03 May 2007 - 02:03 PM in Modifications

I didn't use the outer stock shell, do you think it will still work?

If you can still mount the spring-loaded rod so that it's stable enough to support the turret when it's in the gun then sure.

Let me know if the PETG turret makes any significant difference.

They don't. But I'm doing it now because I plan to replace the stock plunger chamber.

I got a huge increase in range when I replaced the barrels on my mav with CPVC. PETG would probably work equally well. The trick is to make them go all the way to the front of the turret to maximize their length, and them ram the darts down the barrels. This means you can't fire stock ammo though.

#122777 Abp5k

Posted by KBarker on 12 September 2007 - 03:11 AM in Homemades

If you're lazy and have a lot of extra cash, you could have all those parts waterjet cut out.

#122778 Abp5k

Posted by KBarker on 12 September 2007 - 03:12 AM in Homemades

Shit, sorry.

#137919 +bow

Posted by KBarker on 31 January 2008 - 02:46 AM in Homemades

I've noticed you're considering buying a very expensive machine to mass produce these. I would recommend looking in the yellow pages for a waterjet job shop. If you're really going for mass production, buy 4x8 sheets of plastic and have them cut out all your parts in one go. It'll probably be much cheaper than buying your own machine. Make sure you shop around for quotes, however, prices vary wildly.

#122209 How Many Guns Do You Have In Your Arsenal?

Posted by KBarker on 06 September 2007 - 03:04 AM in General Nerf

I'll throw my arsenal into the collection. I usually buy guns, fire a shot or two, then rip them apart to mod them. I've linked some of them to my mod threads.

1- NF (Rifle)
1- NF
1- Clipped NF
2- Mavericks, CPVC'd
2- RF 20s (PETG'd)
1- Magstrike
1- Titan
1- Scout
1- BBB
1- Longshot (Angel breech, CS foregrip)
1- Manta Ray
1- LBB (with SMDTG integration)
1- Ripsaw
1- DT3
1- SSPB

Casualties of modding:
1- Hornet
1- SM3K yellow
1- NF (intentionally, it was hacked up for the NF rifle)

#117644 The Eyes Of Fire.

Posted by KBarker on 30 July 2007 - 02:59 PM in Modifications

Absolutely incredible. I think to take full advantage of HPA, however, you should add drop-and-swap turrets. The slowest part of reloading an RF20 is always shoving all the darts into the barrels. Thanks for mentioning my spacers on that beast!

#163793 The Vulcan: Unboxed

Posted by KBarker on 22 July 2008 - 10:28 PM in Modifications

I had asked earlier what the RoF is like and never got an answer. The videos I've seen never shot it very much and the batteries were dead. Is it fast like the RF20 or is kind of like the semi auto version of the RF20. Or slower?

It says on the outside of the box 3 shots a second.

Oh my god, that's fast! does it really shoot that fast or is it their usual overestimation?

More like 2 per second.

I measured ranges and I have stock ranges

stock: 30 feet.
minor modded: 50-60 feet.

I cant wait to take out the the primary AR Inside the gun. This could end up being a full auto NF.
Also the gun really does take 6 d batteries it weighs quite a bit. *sarcasm* can someone airmail me a screwdriver?*sarcasm*

No matter where you are, the nearest hardware store will have your small screwdriver for around $5 or less.

#99809 Nitefinder Rifle

Posted by KBarker on 14 February 2007 - 07:48 PM in Modifications

Did you have to add a substantial amount of grinding to get that Petg to fit?

If you mean grinding the NF body, yes I had to enlarge the hole at the front, it wasn't difficult at all. The PETG is just cut to length and deburred.

My only question for you is where did you get your spring? It seems like the perfect thing for that sort of mod.

I got the spring from McMaster, part #9637K26. Yes, they only come in packs of 5, and you have to cut it to length. However that spring size looks like it will be usable in lots of other guns. It's roughly the same wire size and overall diameter that everyone uses in their NFs, it's just longer.

#99644 Nitefinder Rifle

Posted by KBarker on 12 February 2007 - 01:55 AM in Modifications

I just finished my prototype of a NF rifle. I call it a rifle since it has the barrel length and plunger size of a large rifle, even though it has a small pistol body. Here it is:

Posted Image

As you can see, the plunger tube has been replaced with a PETG tube that is twice as long as the stock one. Two NF plungers have been cut up and spliced together to make a very long rod. The regular spring has been replaced by a gigantic spring from McMaster, the same wire thickness as you would normally mod a NF with, but twice as long. This gives the plunger enough air capacity to operate with an 8" barrel. Here it is cocked:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The barrels are coupled, so I can easily change the barrel length or type. I also made a 3-barrel shotgun attachment, it functions quite well.

Posted Image

This is just a test model to make sure all the parts can take the force. I forgot to add padding to the plunger head, so it will probably explode soon. That's OK cause I've been planning on making a plunger rod and head from scratch anyway. Once I accomplish this I'll be able to turn any NF into one of these beasts, the only parts I need from the gun is the body and trigger mechanism. The next version will look as good as it works. I really want to add a foregrip, since it is really too powerful to hold like a pistol. Here are more pics for the hell of it. Check out the video here:

NiteFinder Rifle Video

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#99696 Nitefinder Rifle

Posted by KBarker on 12 February 2007 - 08:08 PM in Modifications

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Unfortunately the gun broke after only about 20 shots, but not where I expected it to. The huge amount of hot glue I used to secure the plunger tube to the body gave way. I think I'll need to use the screws somehow. Answer time:

Forsaken_angel24- There were darts in the barrels but you do have a point. It really does sound like a dry fire, I'm not sure why. Perhaps the barrels are too short.

monkey_with_a_nf- Mcmaster part number 9637K26. Unfortunately you have to buy 5 of them and they need to be cut to length, since they come 11" long.

Pvt.McFlurry- Ranges I'm not sure on, since my house isn't big enough. From the video audio however, I can estimate the velocity of the dart at 100-150 FPS.

Retiate- I couldn't get the plunger out since the tube was glued in. Now that it is all disassembled anyway I'll add some foam to it.

z80- Yes it is the stock plunger head, with two stock O-rings on it. The PETG I'm using is slightly smaller than the stock plunger tube, so it creates a very good seal. I can actually stop the plunger by sealing the end, impressive considering how powerful the spring is. PVC or metal tube would probably work great for the plunger tube, I used PETG since it is lightweight. And being clear so you can see the spring is just badass.

#99718 Nitefinder Rifle

Posted by KBarker on 13 February 2007 - 02:18 AM in Modifications

The beast is back together and firing again. I epoxied a piece of polycarb to the side of the plunger tube with a hole in it for the rear screw hole. I then used up the last of my epoxy to glue the thing in. I think it will hold. While I had the gun apart I also added some craft foam to the plunger head and put a screw into the joint at the front of the PETG tube that holds the PVC on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

That thing's pretty frickin' sweet. How did you splice the two plunger rods together?

This was rather tricky. First I just cut the front off one plunger and the back off of another. I joined these by supergluing in small strips of carbon fiber that fit the slots in the rod. Then I cut 4 tiny slots in the whole mess and pressed some small nails in the slots. Then I dremelled and sanded everything smooth. I realized after I'd done this that the front needed to be extended so the longer spring had room to compress, so I added in a piece of polycarb. It is held in with epoxy and more of those small nails.

#98777 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 25 January 2007 - 12:11 AM in Modifications

Finished the 10-shot clip:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll try to do a write-up of how I made this. First, drill the holes. For this clip, I chose to not drill the large hole all the way through, but instead use a smaller bit to go all the way through. This way, you can't accidentally shove darts in too far, nor can they be sucked in when you pull the plunger back. I also think it will give a better seal with O-ring. I used 9/16" for the large hole (this is a perfect, tight fit on the PETG) and 3/8" for the small one.

Posted Image

Then I cut the aluminum stock down using the mill.

Posted Image

Next, I slid this piece through my slider, with the spring plungers in. They made a line where they contacted the clip piece.

Posted Image

I then took the spring plungers out and temporarily replaced them with screws. Then I put the clip in the slider, tightening the screws when the holes were lined up. This left marks on the clip base where the screws dug in.

Posted ImagePosted Image

OK, so remember that line we made earlier? This serves as a guide to line up the mill for the divots. Making the bit centered on the line would work fine, but making it just slightly toward the front side of the clip helps the spring plungers push the clip onto the O-ring. Then just divot on the round marks with a drill bit or ball-end mill. The depth is somewhat critical, if they are too shallow the ball won't catch very well, and too deep makes the clip rattle around a bit. 0.020" deep seemed about right.

Posted Image

I rounded the corners of the clip with a round-off bit, but a file would work fine.

Posted Image

Now that the base is done, we need to make the barrels. Cut the PETG in to 3" or so sections, and deburr all the edges.

Posted Image

Press them into the base, making sure they are straight.

Posted Image

Then just put some glue on the base of the barrels, and the clip is done! The range appears to be just as good as my 6-shot clip. It looks pretty friggin huge on the gun, but it's not terribly awkward to use.

#98727 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 24 January 2007 - 12:55 AM in Modifications

[/quote]
Dear sweet jesus no! If I understand your last post right, There is lithium grease on the O-ring. That stuff will corrode any rubber. I tested its "eating away" abilities last year. I took an O-ring and put it on an old cd stacker pole. The O-ring wasnt too tight but just enough to keep it in place. I then gave it a good dose of lithium grease. When I came back to it in a months time the ring had broken.
[/quote]

Oops! :wacko: I will wipe off the grease and put on some silicone, I think I have some around here. I don't think the grease has been on there long enough to cause damage, but I have extra o-rings anyway. Thanks for letting me know about it!

[quote name='CaptainSlug' post='98716' date='Jan 23 2007, 08:16 PM']
If you want a plastic-safe lubricant there's nothing finer than silicone spray lubricant.
And considering how much tailoring is required to fit this on to a nitefinder I don't foresee a kit being all feasible.
[/quote]

Yeah, I can't see kit being possible. The machining is really time consuming and even then the buyer of the kit would have to do a lot of work to get it put together.

[quote name='InkJet' post='98721' date='Jan 23 2007, 08:30 PM']
That is very very nice. Great first post!! Did you do this on a basic mill and lathe, or CNC? Because I own a regular mill and lathe, and might try to do that.

Do you have a catch on the metal where each barrel is? I see little divots in the metal, but all there seems to be on the metal piece attached to the NF is screws coming in. What is the adhesive looking substance near the bottom of the barrels? Didn't mean to interrogate you there, just curious, it's an extremely ingenious design, great job!!!
[/quote]

I don't have CNC, although I do have a DRO. This could be done with a very small mill just fine, you just need a T-slot bit for the clip carrier. I used a ball-end mill for the divots, but a regular drill bit should work fine. The things that look like screws are in fact spring plungers, Mcmaster part #3408A108. They have a little spring inside that pushes a small ball into the divots. This makes it snap into place, lining up the barrels. The adhesive is just to keep the barrels in. Using a 9/16" bit made the barrels very tight in the holes, but I figured a little glue was necessary to keep them in. The specific glue I used is a epoxy designed for plastics I got at my local Ace Hardware. It's my new favorite glue, since it dries in only 15 minutes and appears incredibly strong.

I am working on the 10-shot clip now, I should have it finished tomorrow. I am not just making it bigger than the 6-shot, I have some improvements in the works as well.

#98706 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 23 January 2007 - 10:38 PM in Modifications

Wow, it's really great to see a lot of new members posting up innovative stuff rather than being noobs. Welcome to the boards too.

Is it PETG for the barrels? You should read up on some stefan making tutorials. You use Foam Backer Rod(Also known as Cauck Saver) to make darts that will achieve superior range.

Yes, that is PETG for the barrels. I have some of Angel's red FBR on the way so I can make better darts. Right now I am using dart tags with the tips replaced with BBs.

#98793 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 25 January 2007 - 12:08 PM in Modifications

Nice job man. Do you own that big drill press or whatever the hell it might be, or is it at your school or something?

That's a milling machine, and yes I own it.

#98623 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 22 January 2007 - 12:45 AM in Modifications

Mmm, reminds me of my Electric Eel. Thumbs up.
How's the seal between the clip and your air source?

Not too bad, but not great either. There is a bit of packing tape in between the two, and the divots on the clip are slightly towards the front. This tends to push the clip toward the air. Ranges are OK, I haven't done any real measurement but it probably gets about 50 feet. It should do better when I get some real stefans made, right now I'm using dart tag darts with BBs instead of the regular tip, and they are very loose in the PETG.

-warx
It is definitely heavier than stock with all that aluminum up there, but it's not outrageously heavy. I wouldn't consider this a prototype, I think any future modifications will just be to the clips.

-nube
As far as doing a write-up, it would be little use to 99% of the people here, since to do this how I did it requires a milling machine, lathe, etc. The clip base, slider, and the round part on the front are all milled/turned from solid aluminum stock. I don't see how you could make the parts accurately enough with hand tools.

I finished the paint and belt clip. I'm pretty pleased with how the round aluminum piece blended with the rest of the gun. I decided not to paint the plunger and trigger since the paint on those parts just scraped off on my other NF.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here it is with all my guns:

Posted Image

#98861 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 27 January 2007 - 04:52 PM in Modifications

[quote]
Oh well, the internals are easy enough to swap out with replacements from another $6-$8 NF.
[quote]

Yeah, but I would have to smash the gun apart to get at them, since it is epoxied shut. The important parts are held on with screws though. Video is up: . I measured that red wall to be 45 feet away.

#98606 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 21 January 2007 - 10:27 PM in Modifications

Yay, I got verified to the Haven! :D Here is my current project:

Yes, you read that right. A NF with a 6-shot clip. The gun has all the usual refinements, no air restricters and a beefy spring. But mounted on the front is a t-slot that allows a clip to be inserted. The clip has little divots that two spring plungers push into to lock each barrel inline with the firing plunger. There is no limit on how large I can make the clips, I may make a 10-shot clip later. Ranges are not as far as my single modded NF, but they are not bad either. Check out all the build pictures on my Putfile page:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The paint is drying right now. I tried to do chrome covered by black, then wipe off a little black on the edges, but it looked like crap so I just made it all black. I'll update with some pics later.

#98903 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 28 January 2007 - 05:55 PM in Modifications

You own a mill? Wow, I'm envious. How much did it cost?

I got it from a friend at a bargain price of $1000.

#98678 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 23 January 2007 - 06:14 PM in Modifications

I improved the seal dramatically last night by adding an O-ring. I realized all I needed to do was trim the stub barrel that hooks to the plunger just enough to allow an O-ring to sit there. It ended up being far easier than I thought it would be. I just filed down the stub and kept test fitting the ring, and eventually it was short enough to allow the clip to slide. The resistance was still high, so I lubed it with lithium grease. The O-ring made a huge difference in the gun's power, it is now nearly as strong as my singled NF.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#98816 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 25 January 2007 - 10:03 PM in Modifications

Even if the clip did advance when you cocked the gun it still would not be semi-auto.
Semi auto is pull the trigger,pull the tirgger,pull the trigger.
This would be cock,shoot,cock,shoot,cock,shoot.
Right now its cock,shoot,manually advance clip to the next barrel,cock,shoot,manually advance clip to the next barrel,cock,shoot,manually advance clip to the next barrel.

Semi-auto guns are like the Hornet and Blastfire.

I agree, I guess my wording was a little unclear. Still, a cock-shoot weapon with a 10-shot capacity and near NF power would be pretty sweet. I just remembered that I lubed the whole plunger with white lithium grease before I epoxied the case shut, so this gun is probably screwed :P

#98805 Clipped Nf

Posted by KBarker on 25 January 2007 - 08:09 PM in Modifications

I get most of my metal from Online Metals, www.onlinemetals.com. The clip is advanced manually, so it's not really a semi-auto. It would be very tough to rig a setup to automatically advance the clip when primed, but it would be insanely awesome!

#118920 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 09 August 2007 - 12:50 AM in Modifications

Wow, I must have tried every other search term possible. Thanks. $33 seems kinda steep to me, but if they're as good as Falcon says they are.......

#119032 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 09 August 2007 - 11:42 PM in Modifications

OK, I've got my PETG barrels on. I tried 3" on the first one and noticed that they fired further when they weren't shoved all the way in. 2" barrels on the 2nd one worked much better. There's also no need to glue the barrels, just dremel out the tabs at the base of the barrel stub and wrap about 1.5 turns of E tape on the PETG.

#119028 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 09 August 2007 - 10:31 PM in Modifications

Wow. I just picked up some of these and 5 minutes later I've already got the ARs out. Give me another 10 minutes and I'll have PETG barrels. Truly an amazing gun. The barrels, trigger, and pump are only connected with tube, if we could figure out how to extend the tubes, you can put the trigger and pump anywhere on another gun you want.

#118914 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 09 August 2007 - 12:03 AM in Modifications

OK, I've looked all over (TRU, Amazon, Target) and I can't find these online. How much do they cost?

#119057 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 10 August 2007 - 11:20 AM in Modifications

Looks like he cut that barrel a little short, probably by accident. The bases are all the same height. There's only one airtank for all 3 barrels BTW.

#119409 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 13 August 2007 - 03:41 PM in Modifications

Why not just relocate the "Detonator" along the side of the handle of your gun... so that you can press it with your thumb and still use the trigger of the other gun? that's what I'll be doing when I get some more tubing connectors.

-bags

That's one way to do it. I'm going to try a simply string-pull type trigger today, we'll see if it works.

#119501 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 13 August 2007 - 11:30 PM in Modifications

You guys are all slackers! :lol: I've already got an integration mostly done!
LBB with dual Spidey guns

#119437 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 13 August 2007 - 08:18 PM in Modifications

I didn't say that they were earth-shattering, but it's nice to be able to get them locally.

#119423 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 13 August 2007 - 06:25 PM in Modifications

I found some nifty plastic barb connectors today. They fit the Nerf tubing perfectly, and come in T's and butt connectors. They are called Rain-Drip, and are available at hardware stores and gardening places.

#120140 The Spidey Dart Tag Guns Thread (warning Big Pics)

Posted by KBarker on 17 August 2007 - 02:29 PM in Modifications

Finished my LBB integration:

Posted Image

More details HERE