KirbySaysHi's Content

There have been 100 items by KirbySaysHi (Search limited from 07-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#56843 Crayola Plus Pvc Help

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 07 June 2005 - 10:05 AM in Modifications

Hi folks!

I've been nerfing since I was a wee lad (my brother and I used to play capture the flag across four backyards), and I've tried modding guns and such, but I've never been able to get the results you all talk about.

The gun in question is the nite finder. I've removed all the air restrictors (by drilling and keeping the "rings" intact), and then I added a crayola barrel, surrounded by approximately four inches of 1/2" SCH 40 PVC. The crayola/PVC are hot glued and electrical taped into place. I replaced the spring with a different one I found at a Farm and Fleet (7/8 x 4 x .080 inches), and I also added a small bungee that hooks perfectly onto the handle.

So, I have two questions: one, how much of the crayola marker should I use? Right now I'm using the entire marker (w/ writing tip). Searching through these posts has revealed nothing more than "use a crayola barrel" (no specifics). My PVC goes about an inch and a half past the crayola.

Second question: whenever I shoot a dart (stock or stefan) it whirly-gigs out, with a max range of about 20 feet. The dart flies in a straight path, but the back end circles through the air. To me, it almost looks like the gun is trying to push the back of the dart past the front, and that the two ends are in a struggle.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I've seen so many on this forum where the first response is "Details, please!" I have probably forgotten something important...

Thanks!

(and sorry for an nf question... sort of...)

#56857 Crayola Plus Pvc Help

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 07 June 2005 - 12:23 PM in Modifications

Wow. Thanks for the quick responses! I'll try varying my stefans... Do you guys think a longer barrel (PVC) would help? And yes, I had already cleaned out the marker, but the litttle plastic bits still remain (those fins, and the pegs that hold the tip/resevoir).

Thanks again!

#56858 Crayola Plus Pvc Help

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 07 June 2005 - 12:26 PM in Modifications

You need a tighter barrel to dart fit. Get rid of the Crayola and use either Mega home made darts with ½” PVC, or the more common micros using CPVC.

*edit* Piney got to it before me ;D. But I'd have to say that I disagree with losing the PVC entirely. PVC will generally help performance with stock darts because it creates a seal around the tip of the dart ideally with the length is right. Then again I've never modded a nightfinder specifically with a crayola just other guns.)

So which is it? Would you recommend that I keep crayola with PVC or use 1/2" cpvc? And... if I should go with the CPVC, I use it as a nub, correct? And then extend the barrel using something else? I'm pretty new to that...

#56863 Crayola Plus Pvc Help

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 07 June 2005 - 01:20 PM in Modifications

I've got a whole lot of stefans hanging around with very few stock darts still surviving...

Right now, I'm just looking for range/power. Wouldn't I want to stick with micro stefans for that?

#56865 Crayola Plus Pvc Help

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 07 June 2005 - 01:55 PM in Modifications

I forgot to add in my description that I took the o-ring off of the plunger and replaced it with electrical tape... only for the better?

#56868 Crayola Plus Pvc Help

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 07 June 2005 - 02:16 PM in Modifications

Does the o-ring seal better? It seemed pretty loose when I pulled it off.

#57301 Messing With A Sspb

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 11 June 2005 - 11:39 PM in Modifications

Hiya folks! I'd like to thank all the people who tried to help me with my nitefinder, even though it still doesn't work like I'd like it too. But here's something new!

I really like the sspb. With the stock casing on it, it even fits in your hand like a derringer! But, I thought it would be cool to rework its components into a small pistol (mainly because of the trigger config).

I figured I'd change the barrel, add a small ball pump, and reinforce the "airtank". One of those pumps should be able to fill the air tank rather quickly (1-2 pumps).

My only snag is my lack of knowledge regarding the valve. Mainly, where does it end, and where does the airtank begin? I'd just crack it open, but I'd like to have a better idea first.

Posted Image

Excuse the crudeness of the pic...

A: PVC/CPVC barrel just like the standard mods (maybe something else?)
B: A hole the size of the old barrel stub is drilled in the side of the new barrel, and the two are joined. The air has to make a "uie".
C: Here's where it gets questionable. I'm assuming that the valve is completely contained in the other section of orange, and that this is simply more airtank. If so, the orange is cut to rotate the "airtank input" area to point downward, rather than point up.
D: New airtank, composed of PVC.
E: Standard ball pump found at most sporting goods stores. A bike pump would work as well. The specific pump I have in mind also comes with a short hose. The hose would be glued into the PVC.

I would keep the airtank relatively the same size, so that only one or two pumps would be needed. With nerf, I've found that low volume/high pressure does wonders. Same with paintball. But anywho.

As far as casing goes, I'll get to that when it comes.

So, any ideas on if this will work? Any improvements? Seriously... Anything. Oh, and if anybody wants to roll with this, rock on as well. (I know I will be)

#57306 At2k Shotgun

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 11 June 2005 - 11:49 PM in Modifications

Looks pretty cool...

Although I'm not familiar with the at2k, is there a way to keep the handle/trigger assembly, rather than tossing it aside?

But that thing must be pretty powerful to be able to launch three darts that far...

#57314 Messing With A Sspb

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 12 June 2005 - 03:31 AM in Modifications

its tank is filled to the max with about 2-4 pumps (i havent plugged the pump tho).

How do you get yours to maximum power with 2-4 pumps without plugging the pump? The whole point of this mod really, is to make it one or two pumps, so that ROF is increased (since I believe it already has pretty good accuracy and such). And, if it gets some more power, then that's not bad either.

#57841 Mav Barrel Mod?

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 20 June 2005 - 10:20 PM in Modifications

Well folks, I did the CPVC barrel replacement for the mav, following Exterminator's directions exactly. I shot some micro stefans, and the results sucked. Literally, the darts didn't even make it out of the barrels the whole way (it would come partially out, then jam the revolver).

Right now, I'm thinking that the CPVC is too tight for the mav. It puts out such little air, that perhaps the usual benefits of a tight barrel are killed by friction. Before this, I also tried just drilling out the restrictors, and found that the range was less than my brother's stock mav.

This gun... so cool... yet blows. Anybody have some suggestions? I'm not going to post any pics, simply because mine looks exactly like on the mod right now.

#57844 Mav Barrel Mod?

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 20 June 2005 - 11:31 PM in Modifications

Thanks, I'm going to try sanding down the cpvc to provide a more loose fit... and that single barrel mav... whoa!

I'll let you know how it goes, which probably won't be till tomorrow morning. Thanks!

#58327 Nf Spring Excahnge?

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 27 June 2005 - 09:30 AM in Modifications

A day later, but who cares.

I found that my local Farm and Fleet sells a perfect spring that to replace the nf's stock spring (and yes, the orange and yellow version is much weaker).

The measurements of the spring were:

7/8 x 4 x .080 in.

They came two to a pack, and are definitely stronger than even the original nitefinder.

#58406 Air Compressors In Nerf

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 28 June 2005 - 07:25 PM in Modifications

If you want a battery powered air compressor, the Campbell Hausfeld should do fine. I own one that I use for my air cannons. While it is slower than my plug in, it is really handy for when an outlet is not readily available.

I also think that a schrader valve would do a pc wonders. You could pump, or use an air tank/compressor. OR, even connect two pumps for SUPER DOUBLE MEGATON PUMPING ACTION!

And, if you would like some help, quasar, with some sort of tank, let me know... I'm pretty good with compressed air.

Copy!

#58620 Maverick

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 03 July 2005 - 08:47 AM in Modifications

Has anyone tried sacrificing three barrels; hacking off the blue connection around the original orange barrel tip, opening the top for longer barrels, and making only three extended brass/PVC barrels so that it can still rotate around part of the way.  I am assuming the turret can rotate both directions, and turns clockwise automatically.  Three shots would be fineif everything else worked well.

I don't think I understand what you hope to accomplish by taking out three barrels. The main problems with the mav in my opinion, are that the seal between the plunger and turret is bad, and that the turret rotates on the trigger pull and not the cock. I tried drilling the air restrictors, I tried changing out the barrels with cpvc. Getting that turret to fit perfectly once it has been taken apart is so difficult that I've declared my mods unsuccessful. And by my mods, I mean other people's mods that I tried. With the cpvc, sometimes, when the plunger is PERFECTLY pressed up against the turret, the dart goes a flying... but most of the time, the dart makes it halfway out of the barrel and jams my gun.

I think having just three barrels would only increase the lack of seal (damn dirty double negatives!).

The only thing I would do to a mav if a bought another one would be to allow the turret to swing farther out. Because that rocks. (!)

Anywho, this has all been said before, but seriously. I don't want to believe it. The mav looks and seems so cool! I just don't want the above to be true.... too bad.

Copy!

#58621 Air Compressors In Nerf

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 03 July 2005 - 08:53 AM in Modifications

About those air mattress compressors...

I believe that a typical air mattress holds at max 10 psi (probably closer to 4-6). A PVC airtank would need anywhere from 50-120 psi in order to make a pc cycle. I realize that these are just guesses, but nerf darts seem to like high pressure low volume tanks, since the darts have little mass.

So I don't think that a matress compressor would be powerful enough... but that would be nice!

Copy!

*EDIT* Schveet idea devious!

#58630 Air Compressors In Nerf

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 03 July 2005 - 03:53 PM in Modifications

What about that new compressor from Canadian Tire. It "Says" it can inflate an air matress in under 2 min. It only costs 30$ and comes with 2 compressors and a docking station to re-charge it?

Blink, is there a link you could provide?

#58662 Air Compressors In Nerf

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 04 July 2005 - 06:39 AM in Modifications

Well, I think that no link = shitake mushrooms. At least you tried!

#59493 Modifying Bb Guns To Shoot Micros

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 16 July 2005 - 11:03 PM in Modifications

Hmmm... Interesting, but what's the difference between that and doing a barrel swap on a cheap paintball marker?

Also think about this: it's made to shoot pellets (5 grams?) and a single stefan usually have at least two bbs in them, bringing the grand total to over or around 10 grams. I think you are better off either buying a brass eagle gun or an at2k!

Money (!)

Copy!

#59763 Modifying Bb Guns To Shoot Micros

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 20 July 2005 - 04:24 PM in Modifications

Less pumps! Yes!

Which bb gun did you use? It must have been pretty high end in order to have enough air to punch through those stefans.

#59764 Titan Mod

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 20 July 2005 - 04:30 PM in Modifications

Sorry that this is such an old topic, but I had an idea.

I don't own a titan.

Has anyone tried taking a double-stroke, high output pump like those found in the bike departments of stores and using it to replace the titan stock pump? It seems like the main drawback to that monster is the slow rof due to pumping, and if that could be accelerated, then I think it would be beneficial.

Shitake, with the size of that thing, you might even be able to just stick a huge tire pump on there!

Copy!

#60109 Sspb Question

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 24 July 2005 - 06:35 PM in Modifications

Um... I believe there are a lot of other post around here about that... if you would like to search.

Otherwise, just saw off the front of the pump tube, taking care not to saw through the actual pump shaft. Then pop some hot glue on the end of the pump shaft... And glue everything back up.

There are also barrel swap mods, and expansion mods as well, if you'd search.

Copy!

#60111 Barrel Clip

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 24 July 2005 - 06:39 PM in Modifications

It snaped in-half during the war. Lol

Well.. then I guess it didn't work very well, did it?

[Not meant to be offensive!]

Gun in half is a similar problem I am encountering while making my own homemade.

[sympathy]

And I sure hope this clip deal turns out to be amazing, because it LOOKS amazing!

Copy!

#60144 Sspb Question

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 25 July 2005 - 03:23 AM in Modifications

Really? I thought the only thing in the chamber was a back check valve as well as the actual valve (which seems to resemble a quick-exhaust potato cannon valve). I think the over-pressure valve is located only in the pump shaft. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Copy!

#60145 Clip Mod

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 25 July 2005 - 03:28 AM in Modifications

Wow, I really didn't think that it could be that simple (I thought that it had to be more complicated) and that is amazing. Good jorb!

Copy!

#60146 Far Revisited

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 25 July 2005 - 03:33 AM in Homemades

Those are some very nice CADs... the first shot reminds me of the cheap digitized photos of babes that are displayed on video poker machines in bars... the difference being there aren't any pretty ladies...

Copy!

#60172 While Making Something Else, I Made....

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 25 July 2005 - 03:00 PM in Modifications

The At2k Luger (sort of... I feel a red jacket approaching!)

My goal was to make a high-performance airsoft loser rifle, and I succeded. But obviously, this is a nerf forum. So, here's where this post brings its relevancy.

I used an at2k to power this thing, and tried to make it as small as possible by removing most of the Spaceman Spiff aspect of the gun. I love Spaceman Spiff, but hey, I'll make a death blaster later.

Posted Image

I basically sawed straight across the shell of the gun. Then, I took apart the liquid cylinder, drained the goo, and sawed off the cylinder. Then I filled the resulting hole with goop, let it dry, and put it back together. I'm pretty sure that the goop part is completely unnecessary, as the cylinder appears to be completle sealed off by the rubber diaphram (which is very important to put back!). I also cut off the circular fixture at the back of the gun that held the clear dark plasic cylinder. At the time of taking the pics, I was going to use it as some sort of site.

Posted Image

After the sawing of the shell was complete, I had to affix the tank. This was done by hot glueing a small sliver of 3/4 PVC approximately an inch long directly to the pump shaft, then hot gluing the airtank in front of the PVC sliver. Then I put some e-tape around there for security (not shown in the pictures).
NOTE: Prior to this, I had unscrewed the part where the tube connects to the liquid cylinder, and screwed it back on, resulting in it being cock-eyed like in the picture.

If I was just trying to make a small nerf pistol, I would have then stuck a 7" piece of 1/2" cpvc on the valve to make a barrel, and put something between the barrel and the body to act as a space (perhaps a ramrod hoilder, then e-taped the bageedin'
geesus out of the gun, perhaps adding some sort of covering to the back to protect the air components. And then I would have had probably the most power per square inch ratio of any nerf gun.

Posted Image

But I didn't. I made an airsoft rifle, that shoots faster, farther, and more accurately than my Tanfoglio. Sure, not too impressive, but I did make it myself, and it doubles as a shotgun! Woo!

I just need a name. Suggestions? I do plan on adding a covering to the back later, but would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to do that (I'm thinking balsa wood). Hope no one gets offended by the airsoft plug, but it really was my main goal, and I figured any contribution to covert-nerf-ops would be appreciated. And please don't berate me too roughly if this has been done before.

Copy!

#60177 While Making Something Else, I Made....

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 25 July 2005 - 04:40 PM in Modifications

Thanks guys, especially for the tip about the goop!

and blink, you wouldn't remember where you've seen it before, have you? I'd like to see it.

Copy!

#60411 While Making Something Else, I Made....

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 28 July 2005 - 03:36 AM in Modifications

You found out about a CPVC coupler fitting in PVC conjoiners didn't you?

???

Which part of this are you talking about, the finished rifle, or the unfinished, tiny at2k? If you're talking about the barrel of the airsoft dealie, then no, I didn't use couplers (nor did I use any of the whole gun). It's a series of smaller and smaller tubing/pipes. If you really want to know what they are, I can take some pics and make some measurements. I also used a long (probably around 3') strip of bicycle intertube to act as a spacer/seal. You twist it around the smaller pipe/tube like a candy cane as you twist it into the larger pipe. Seals perfectly everytime. I can post more details about that as well. Actually, if you want more details about the airsoft dealie, maybe you should stick to pms; I don't want to violate the CoC by talking too much about airsoft in a nerf forum.

I didn't use a bic pen or anything, because like Suave said, the pin is right up against the trigger. If I were to make this into a real nerf gun, I would deninitely put the airtank as far back as possible in order the make the gun as compact as possible.

Thanks for the complements guys!

Copy!

#60412 Help With Mav Air Restrictor Mod?

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 28 July 2005 - 03:40 AM in Modifications

And my two bits...

I think the mav is better stock, with the pegs removed so that it can shoot stefans. It is just so difficult to get a good plunger/turret seal, that it almost isn't worth it. I tried the cpvc mod, and my brother's stock shoots farther.

Anywho.

Copy!

#60450 Help With Mav Air Restrictor Mod?

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 28 July 2005 - 05:56 PM in Modifications

Hey, LMA, are you talking about putting the turret on the crossbow, or is this deal you're talking about for the mav? That sounds like it would be a great mod to write-up. Seventy feet does seem a little much though... at least implausible.

#60769 While Making Something Else, I Made....

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 01 August 2005 - 06:57 AM in Modifications

2. Take shell of gun and cut on the yellow line where the vinly tubing goes to the pump.

To clarify:

The finished gun uses airsoft bb's. I've only tested it with .2s. It is more accurate than my springer Tanfoglio, which I also use .2s in. The barrel is approximately 20" long, which accounts for my better accuracy (the barrel is exactly 6mm; I would guess your 6.2 is the reason for your inaccuracy, since that is like an airsoft musket).

The point of this post was to demonstrate my idea of how to make the at2k smaller. So, any other questions regarding the airsoft gun should be pms or e-mails, since I don't want to offend the nerf gods. Not that I wouldn't love to talk about this gun, but I don't want to do it here.

LMA, there aren't any couplers used here, only cpvc, pex tube, vinyl tube, pvc, and a lot of sanding.

And one last thing... the quote....

Osiris, isn't that exactly what I did? If not, please clarify for me. Oh, and YES! I KNOW THERE IS NOT HOP-UP ON THIS GUN. Its kind of hard to understand your sentences sometimes... and I don't mean for that to be offensive (or any of that).

Copy!

#60770 Super Soaker Nerf

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 01 August 2005 - 07:00 AM in Modifications

Heres a crappy MS paint drawing of what it looks like on the inside...

I'm impressed by that. Is there a reason I shouldn't be?

#60771 My Cool And New At2k Air Tank. Check It Out!

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 01 August 2005 - 07:04 AM in Modifications

Well that's cool.

I think it's going to take a lot of pumps to prime such a large airtank, and that the benefits from having a large airtank will be wasted on such a light projectile as a nerf dart. BUT, maybe it'll be this amazing loser machine (cue "no losers in nerf" flaming)!

Copy!

#61102 Re: Spring Replacement

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 04 August 2005 - 01:05 PM in Modifications

Hey dude,

I found that my local Farm and Fleet sells the perfect spring! No cutting!

The measurements of the spring were:

7/8 x 4 x .080 in.

They came two to a pack, and are definitely stronger than even the original nitefinder. The packaging was a plastic bag, with the top of the bag being colored yellow where the measurements were listed. While these new springs are more powerful, I found that they were not so much larger as to cause structural damage or preventing the cocking mechanism from functioning. Rock it!

Copy!

#61833 The Better Nerf Grenade

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 13 August 2005 - 01:02 AM in Homemades

Haha! [above]

For the sake of doing this, haven't any of you used a film canister to make a rocket? All you do is put some vineager into the film canister, dump in a little bit of baking soda, put the cap on, and place the canister upside-down on the concrete. It goes at least 20 ft in the air. A long time ago, some friends and I had a blast with this.

So yes, there is enough explosive force from the reaction to make foam fly.

Copy!

#68461 Organizational Idea

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 27 November 2005 - 02:35 PM in Modifications

First off, I realize I'm not a highly active member of these forums as far as posting goes, but I do regularly read them.... ok.

I've noticed that a lot of the posts are from first timers, asking about a mod for a specific gun and such, and that most users post some slightly angry message about Searching, and then someone usually posts a link.

So, what if there were either one huge pin or multiple pins for each gun that just had lists of links of all the write-ups people have posted? I've seen these types of consolidation posts on numerous other websites, and they really help me out, and I would imagine they would help anyone else out... especially if they're new to the site. We could even perhaps post stats on the mods, such as a "success" rating or ranges (if we could dig ourselves out of the BS)!

There have been numerous times I've searched for something, and I get a thousand threads, when all I want is to see the myriad ideas people are having.

You might be thinking, "What about the modifications page on this site?" And to that I say: those are very well done write-ups, but I think the cool thing about this site is how dynamic the forums are due to the collaboration of all the great minds we have here! Basically, it seems that the mods page, while it has great write-ups, does not display the full potential of the modding minds out there due to its static (as in not constantly updated) position...

Ok folks, just to make this clear: I'm not criticizing ANYTHING, just telling y'all about this idea I had while looking around. What do you think?

Oh... and I volunteer to make/maintain it if no one wants to do it but thinks it's a good idea.

Copy!

***EDIT: Should this have been posted in the site feedback forum? Sorry if so...

#68463 Organizational Idea

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 27 November 2005 - 02:54 PM in Modifications

I thought of it more as averageJoe posts a new mod... then, whoever's in charge of the pinned mod thread (whether that be the mods or a specific user, like me) would just put a link in the pinned thread to the new post of the mod.

And for categories, I assumed they would just be names of the guns... for example:

-----Nitefinder/Nitefinder EX3-----
1) Link to some brass barreled nf
2) Link to some uranium-powered nf...
3) Another link

-----Crossbow-----
1) Link to some awesome crossbow
2) Link to some crossbow that looks like a real gun...
3) Another link

And so on. The only problem I can see is with integrations. Either a separate category, or just put it in whatever gun's category the main gun goes in (so, an nf with one of those derringer things integrated into it would go in the nf category).

#68466 Organizational Idea

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 27 November 2005 - 02:57 PM in Modifications

Awesome, thanks for the support!

#68494 Organizational Idea

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 27 November 2005 - 08:12 PM in Modifications

P.S. nerfworld.com is an entire site dedicated to what your talking about.

I just looked up nerfworld.com, and it appears to be down right now... But I understand what you're saying. The difference here is that these mods will all be just ordinary posts/write-ups, not a full web page dedicated to mods.

Thats a neat idea.
But, if your just going to basically make a mods directory...
Its been done before.

I agree... When I originally posted this, I hadn't seen HQ for a while. But like Dux said, we need one for here.

The only negative I can see about compiling a mods list is that really n00bish people won't look at it unless something is done to make the list really obvious.  A reference in the COC perhaps, or maybe a link on the forum sub menu. 

Definitely. But I pose this to you as well... The second post in a topic started by a newer member is usually about reading the CoC... Perhaps that can just be accompanied with a note/link to the directory.

Oh yeah! I realized this idea might displace/replace this pin: Pinned. Oh well?

#68648 Organizational Idea

Posted by KirbySaysHi on 30 November 2005 - 11:06 PM in Modifications

I realize this is a double post...

So, do people like this idea? Right now it seems kind of luke-warm... If somebody wants me to, I will, if they don't (for any reason OTHER than that they don't want to be like HQ), I won't.

Just let me know folks!