monkey with a nf's Content

There have been 107 items by monkey with a nf (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#120393 Adding A New Pump To Pump Guns?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 19 August 2007 - 08:44 AM in General Nerf

Just make sure you compare the pump volumes so that you don't blow something, and you can use barbed or instant tube fittings for a cleaner connection between the tubes.

#103395 Lbb Leak

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 May 2007 - 03:44 PM in Modifications

Wait, do you mean that the actual barrel itself is cracked, or that there is a leak in a place blocked by the barrel? Either way, you might as well just saw off the barrel to fix the leak and add a replacement barrel (I'd choose brass). As for the valve, I would check for any cracks there when the barrel is off.

#97469 Lbb Problem

Posted by monkey with a nf on 31 December 2006 - 03:23 PM in Modifications

I recently modded my LBB with 12" of 1/2" ID PETG and a pressure valve plug. The tank will pump fine, but when I fire it with even 12 pumps, my darts fishtail and go shorter than they do with 8 pumps. The barrel seal also seems fine. I think the fishtailing is caused by too much power, but I don't get the poor ranges. Help?

#97572 Lbb Problem

Posted by monkey with a nf on 02 January 2007 - 05:20 PM in Modifications

Thanks for the help. As soon as I get my brass from McMaster, I'll be doing this.

#97508 Lbb Problem

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 January 2007 - 01:16 PM in Modifications

When I did this, I was using my lighter CDT stefans (.17 cal BB's) and just placing them in the barrel. With heavier CDT stefans (3/0 fishing weights) and a ramrod, it works fine.

On a related note, I'd perfer to use a coupler rather than a ramrod for this. However, i don't exactly get how to do so- is there some step beyond just gluing the coupler to the barrel and and putting your barrels in the right size PVC?

#103469 Questions On Tank Pressure

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 May 2007 - 07:54 PM in Homemades

I am attempting to build a magazine-fed pneumatic homemade, similar to(it actually started as) Flaming Hilt's version of the SOBR-P. As such, I am basing the tank off of an AT3K tank. I found that for every 1 cubic inch of airtank volume, something pressurized the same as an AT3K with four pumps has about 3.32 cubic inches of air. I have no idea how this translates to PSI, though I assume that it is below the limit of schedule 40 PVC.

When I run through the calculations, I find that the ideal length of 3/4" PVC for the optimum air volume for 12" 17/36" brass is about 5", but at the pressure I plan to use it should be about 1.5". Therefore, this is my planned tank volume (I'm using 3/4" because this is what I'm using as a valve). Does this all seem right? I'm trying to both have this get the approximate range and accuracy of a singled AT3K, and not have it blow up in my hands.

#117551 Xxl Bazooka

Posted by monkey with a nf on 29 July 2007 - 06:49 PM in Modifications

I've never had one, but isn't it an air gun?

#97512 Quick Ls Question (yes I've Searched)

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 January 2007 - 01:30 PM in General Nerf

What kind of darts are you using to get 40-50' with a AR removal on the Longshot? Or are you giving angled ranges? I only got around 30' with that. And, yes, a spring will help alot.

#117868 Rf20 Pump Problem

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 August 2007 - 10:19 AM in General Nerf

Go ahead and take the e-tape off, as it will only keep it from working (if the pump works the way I think it does, then the o-ring needs to be able to slide on the pump head). Check to make sure the o-ring isn't cracked or dried out, as that would create seal problems.

Also, by this, do you mean that it leaks, or you can't pressurize any air? It might help if you can give us a picture of the pump head (assuming it's removable; I've never opened a RF20).

#117899 Rf20 Pump Problem

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 August 2007 - 02:59 PM in General Nerf

It looks like the check valve holes might have been plugged. Check the pump head- there should be three holes. Only the center one should be plugged.

#109161 Nf Coupler Mod Question?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 03 June 2007 - 01:17 PM in Modifications

I don't know about a specific mod, but I would glue the coupler to the orange piece at the end of the plunger, after getting rid of the original barrel and the restrictor. You would just have to dremel/sand out the front of the casing to make it fit.

EDIT: Whoops, CS posted while I was typing.

#99100 Lbb Question

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 February 2007 - 07:03 PM in General Nerf

I got mine for $10 at Toy's R Us. You might want to try there.

#116928 Dtb Ar Removal Question

Posted by monkey with a nf on 23 July 2007 - 04:30 PM in Modifications

Now do I just unscrew the gun, take out the three pronged AR and the spring from the AR and put the gun back together?
Sorry for the annoying questions. I just want to make sure every thing goes right when I mod it, or else.

As long as you plan on only shooting stock darts, yes.

#116894 Dtb Ar Removal Question

Posted by monkey with a nf on 23 July 2007 - 09:36 AM in Modifications

After you disassemble it, the orange turret piece should unscrew from the black back. You should several three-pronged plastic things and small springs when you open it; you can throw these away. The parts with the posts should be kept on (because otherwise the turret doesn't seal), but you need to get rid of the center somehow (drill, dremel, pliers, file, etc...). This will let it fire stefans. It will also increase the noise of firing and increase ranges by 5-10 ft.

#125185 Tubing / Pipe Cutters

Posted by monkey with a nf on 06 October 2007 - 10:49 AM in Modifications

I will warn you- pipe cutters will bend the tubing inward, making it useless for a breech covering. If I need the end to be flat, I use pipe cutters to lightly mark the tubing, use a Dremel cutting wheel to cut around the tube, and then use sandpaper to deburr and smooth the cut.

#101807 Bbb Breach Barrell Dilema- Help Is Appreciated

Posted by monkey with a nf on 04 April 2007 - 09:32 AM in Modifications

The only thing that you have to watch out for with audiotape casettes is that some (at least the ones I've tried) are narrower on one side, which hampers sprung magazines and kill gravity-fed ones. I think it might just be easier to make it out of balsa, or use something else.

#97624 Wired Darts?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 03 January 2007 - 08:12 AM in General Nerf

What gun are you using? If the spring has been replaced (or the pump plugged) and the barrel hasn't been lengthened, the unused air might be causing the fishtailing.

#118143 Lbb Trouble

Posted by monkey with a nf on 03 August 2007 - 10:03 AM in General Nerf

Actually, buy a Big Blast if you can help it. They require fewer pumps and are higher quality, especially because the LBB trigger tends to break over time when the OP valve is plugged (which is necessary on the LBB, but not BB).

EDIT: Added something.

#111513 Springs For A Snap

Posted by monkey with a nf on 15 June 2007 - 06:55 PM in Homemades

What size spring do you use for homemades? I am currently using McMaster part 9637K26(same as KBarker's NF rifle mod) for my SNAP 1.5. It has a wire thickness of .08, with the coils spaced about 1/4" apart, and fits perfectly over 1/2" CPVC. The spring is 9" long, and the SNAP has a draw of 5".

However, I'm a bit worried that it's too strong. In addition to requiring quite a bit of force to draw, it has so far shot off the reducing bushing (before I screwed it down), the coupler/bushing assembly (before gluing it), and then the coupler/bushing again, as well as breaking the back endcap on the plunger head (which had, in retrospect, been sanded down too much). Note that there is no forward endcap on the plunger, as I don't have the right washers for the seal. Am I doing something wrong? Please help, as I don't want to have this thing blow up in my face...

#111526 Springs For A Snap

Posted by monkey with a nf on 15 June 2007 - 07:49 PM in Homemades

Do you know what wire size/ coil distance they are? I might be able to compare.

#111575 Springs For A Snap

Posted by monkey with a nf on 16 June 2007 - 06:49 AM in Homemades

Thanks for the help. Now I just need some endcaps and washers.

#90317 Cdts Problems

Posted by monkey with a nf on 24 September 2006 - 09:57 AM in General Nerf

Thanks for the help.

#90486 Cdts Problems

Posted by monkey with a nf on 25 September 2006 - 07:15 PM in General Nerf

I think everyone has just convinced me to find 1/4" slingshot ammo, it looks easier than scorching my fingers trying to the the weight even B) .

#90311 Cdts Problems

Posted by monkey with a nf on 24 September 2006 - 09:33 AM in General Nerf

Hi,

This is my first post here, though I've been lurking here for months. Anyway-

Recently I tried making some converted dart tag stefans. While I like that they fit in my longshot, I've noticed that they have slightly inferior range to normal tag darts, not the superior ranges everyone claims. This is probably my fault, so I'm wondering if anyone could help me? The only things I'm doing that I can think of that might cause the problem are that I'm using 3/0 fishing weights and a a high-temp gun (don't have a low-temp yet). Any yes, I did search.

#122791 Which Can Be Made Smaller?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 12 September 2007 - 07:12 AM in General Nerf

AT2K has a smaller tank than the AT3K, but I don't know about the pump (the 3K's tank can fit in 11/4" PVC, except for the rim).

#117273 How Tight Should Darts Be?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 26 July 2007 - 08:49 PM in General Nerf

Nope. For air guns (fast air delivery) you want a perfect fit, or on the loose side. For springers (slow air delivery) you either want a tight fit, or a tight fit and then a loose or perfect fit.

For example:

If your darts fit flush in 9/16" brass, you would use that for a BB, but you would want 9/16" with some 17/32" in the end for a BBB.

#103550 Need Help For Air Tank Clip Fed Bolt Action Gun

Posted by monkey with a nf on 02 May 2007 - 05:45 AM in Homemades

I'm actually designing something similar (here), though it's not designed to look like the SMG. I plan on using this valve and this pump.

The dart will only fishtail if there is too much air delivery. Therefore, you want the tank (when pressurized) to have around 3-4 times the barrel volume in air. Of course, a small barrel also reduces the range and accuracy.

And that thread on airtanks was meant to show how to make a large backpack airtank, not something contained in a gun (because there's no valve system).

#119707 Need Help Deciding What Nerfgun To Get!

Posted by monkey with a nf on 14 August 2007 - 09:44 PM in General Nerf

Magstrike- more clips, more moddable, and much easier to find.

#99332 At3k Integration Trigger Issue

Posted by monkey with a nf on 05 February 2007 - 06:42 PM in Modifications

Posted Image

If I didn't have the pump where the bolt normally is, there would be a straight peice of metal or balsa joining the trigger plate to the firing pin. However, that would keep the bolt from working properly, so I did this instead.

#99315 At3k Integration Trigger Issue

Posted by monkey with a nf on 05 February 2007 - 08:48 AM in Modifications

I've been attempting to integrate an AT3K into a LS shell (the LS is broken beyond repair). However, I can't get the trigger to work.
Posted Image

The white thing is a peice of coat hanger epoxied to the trigger plate and pin. However, it broke off the pin. Before I use stronger/more adhesive, will this work? I noticed the coat hanger bending, and I'm afraid it isn't strong enough. Should I use something stronger? (I would have just used a straight peice of metal, but it would interfere with the bolt- it's where I attached the pump.)

#99408 At3k Integration Trigger Issue

Posted by monkey with a nf on 06 February 2007 - 05:23 PM in Modifications

Navy Seal-

I can't do that, because it'll displace the barrel. However, I could try vynil tubing. And there's no issue with the pump- it goes the same distance as in a stock at3k.

#102348 Longshot Mag Clamps

Posted by monkey with a nf on 17 April 2007 - 06:41 AM in Homemades

There was, at one point, a suggestion to CS to make his proposed custom longshot mags have linking studs on them like SIG 500 magazines, but that went dow the drain to complexity and the arrival of replacement magazines.

#98201 C02 Valve

Posted by monkey with a nf on 12 January 2007 - 09:41 PM in Homemades

I don't have a terrible amount of experience with homeades, but CaptainSlug tried to make a clip-fed full auto gun (pumped), and it got really complex really quick. Also, I think I heard somewhere that CO2, becasue it's so cold, makes plastics (like PVC) brittle.

#91499 Spring Question

Posted by monkey with a nf on 08 October 2006 - 06:57 AM in Modifications

I think people have been cutting off three or so loops of the BBB spring, but I'm not completely sure. To my knowledge, the only people who have had misfiring problems have has them because they've added too strong a spring. A trimmed BBB spring is not too powerful. And adding O-rings doesn't have anything to do with the cocking mechanism, it just gives a better seal, so you probably don't need to mess around with the plunger head.

#101723 Some Lbb Troubles

Posted by monkey with a nf on 02 April 2007 - 08:44 PM in Modifications

As he said, the plastic trigger is pretty weak. It broke off in mine, and I had to glue it on again. You should be fine with reinforcing it somehow.

Also, isn't the Big Blast identical in terms of internals? My impression was that the trigger mech is the same. Of course, the plastic could just be stronger in it.

#90955 Mav/nf

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 October 2006 - 12:01 PM in Modifications

I don't know about the mav, but I might be able to help with the NF. By the pump, do you mean the plunger? If so what part did you get glue on? And what do you mean by the front parts? If you're doing a barrel replacement, then you don't need most of the stock barrel assembly (or I didn't).

#90969 Mav/nf

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 October 2006 - 02:38 PM in Modifications

How is the stuck-togetherness of the air restrictor an issue? You can pull it out with pliers, though it's not as neat as a dremel.

#90979 Mav/nf

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 October 2006 - 03:16 PM in Modifications

Even then, everything you'd need to do to replace the barrel could be done even with the restrictors glued on.

#117993 Relocating Cocking Handle On Nite Finder

Posted by monkey with a nf on 02 August 2007 - 10:16 AM in Modifications

You actually can have a sliding cocking handle with a normal plunger- like the DTG.

#111244 Strap Ammo Holster

Posted by monkey with a nf on 14 June 2007 - 04:12 PM in Modifications

Try 1/2" ID vinyl tubing. It's really cheap (less then even CPVC) and has just the right amount of friction with the darts.