Y-Brik's Content

There have been 145 items by Y-Brik (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#288893 Making An Aftermarket Mod Match The Stock Color

Posted by Y-Brik on 25 November 2010 - 01:52 PM in Modifications

From what I've seen, its far easier to just repaint the entire blaster in a similar color (eliminates color matching). Oh, and if you're spraypainting, get some krylon fusion.

#307074 Quick public question: Vortex or N-Strike?

Posted by Y-Brik on 07 November 2011 - 08:58 AM in General Nerf

I'll probably be flamed for this, but here goes:

Which series of gun would you shoot, Vortex or N-Strike?

I personally like N-Strike better, not because of the distance (which usually sucks) but because of the modularity of all of them (barrels can be swapped, scopes/lights can be added) and their guns are more modern (Recon looks like an M4A1, Element looks like a USP, etc.). How about you guys; Vortex or N-Strike?

Hell yeah, I love the tacticoolness of adding blades to my Recon and making them look like M4s! Hooray for milsim!
/end sarcasm

Just a tip, this community abhors the "This toy looks like this thing-cops-shoot-at" attitude to Nerf.
Almost as much as they hate "which is better" threads.

People here are likely to prefer NStrike because they use conventional ammo, are more well-known, and have more modding options.

#291823 Has Anybody Tried To Shorten The Stroke Of A Stampede?

Posted by Y-Brik on 29 December 2010 - 09:59 PM in Modifications

Seeing as voltage mods up the ROF to the max allowed by CS-style blasters, I see little point in this, especially since it decreases range in the process. I'd stick with the "spring, seal, and voltage mods".

#295686 Mobile Version

Posted by Y-Brik on 09 March 2011 - 07:40 PM in Site Feedback

I have an idea, would it be possible to make a mobile version of the site? I use my phone and my iPod a lot to browse the forums, and this would make it relatively easier. I'm probably not the only one who feels that it is kind of difficult to view the site on mobile devices. Just a thought.

There's already an option to view in lo-res, perfect for mobile browsing. Making a system to handle mobile browsing on a site this large, with admins (as I understand) more interested in nerf than in HTML/Java/whatever from scratch is ridiculous.

Oh, and iPod sucks.

#300189 Happy Birthday To WicketTheModder619

Posted by Y-Brik on 19 June 2011 - 11:53 PM in Off Topic

I'll bite. Happy birthday Wicket, may your cake not be a lie!

#302207 Where to buy Camo bag with Streamlines

Posted by Y-Brik on 24 July 2011 - 11:48 PM in General Nerf

For a college kid, save a bit more and get the new 100 pack of Streamlines from TRU- it's $25 for 100 I-won't-hide-from-you darts. Best price per dart on stock ammo.

#289853 Forget This

Posted by Y-Brik on 03 December 2010 - 12:33 AM in Modifications

Welcome to the Haven, remember that self sufficiency is KING here- you will get to know the search function, the various directories, and if all else fails, the IRC (Search it- its good practice!) very well. Posting new threads for questions that can be answered in under 5 min of searching usually result in snide answers (like Philly's), and possibly disciplinary action- don't get yourself axed!
Also, nobody here really uses the emoticons, so don't amplify the newbishness.
Again, welcome to the Haven, don't get yourself kicked out again.

#314857 Rifled stefans

Posted by Y-Brik on 27 April 2012 - 12:11 PM in General Nerf

Cool story bro
Seriously, this will destroy your dart/barrel seal and short of building a special jig (we're playing "I believe in rifling darts" now), there's no way you can keep the spirals consistent from dart to dart.

#295894 Raider Spring

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 March 2011 - 04:56 PM in Modifications

Not sure which one's from a Raider, but I have plenty of ReClone springs (The're all the same anyway). Pm me.

#282448 Possibly The Simplest Way To Make A Homemade Wye

Posted by Y-Brik on 08 August 2010 - 12:12 AM in Homemades

I've done the same thing with a miter box (tip: stand the tee up vertically when sawing off the 3rd leg- it keeps everything centered best.) and a 45-degree fitting solvent welded together. This setup is fantastic as it's actually cheaper than the base price of a wye (sans shipping), and can be made into other sizes as needed. ALso, I'm finding my wyes work with streamlines, something I understand the Flex versions do not do. Excuse me, I'm off to try to make a 1-piece Chopper fitting.

#305012 Alpha Trooper help

Posted by Y-Brik on 26 September 2011 - 08:07 AM in Modifications

When it's together, try holding the slide all the way forward. Slamfire blasters have this little side effect- the breech must be ALL the way forward for the little slam-fire-y bit to work. Want to not have to worry about it? See that lock just to the right of the barrel cover? Put it back.

This was a hunch based on what you gave us, remember 1. NH does NOT like spoon feeding info, and 2. if you're going to ask for help you may want to to get the actual firing mechanism in the picture!!
EDIT- the important picture seems to have a broken link

#305034 Alpha Trooper help

Posted by Y-Brik on 26 September 2011 - 06:03 PM in Modifications

The catch isn't working obviously, so maybe the piece under the catch isn't clipped in the right place?

No, the Slamfire piece is right, it's definitely the lock/hold-it-forward issue. fyi, before closing it up again it's worth doinf the spring compression mod- a duct tape ring that makes the spring hit full compression when cocked.

#314958 JSPB DYNE-2012

Posted by Y-Brik on 29 April 2012 - 01:35 PM in Homemades

That. Is. Sexy.
I've been meaning to build a mad ghost for awhile now, glad I hadn't started yet. I detect a summer project!

#296582 Nerf Dart Tag Speedload 6

Posted by Y-Brik on 25 March 2011 - 03:18 PM in Modifications

Ugh.... can't stand these guns. Barely better than a recon. Good job on the mod though.

But it's a recon with spring replacement potential (even if stock LS springs aren't that much of a boost- it's a start!). I'll be the moron who asks about ranges....

#292475 Total X-stream Air Sonic Bazooka

Posted by Y-Brik on 09 January 2011 - 03:09 PM in General Nerf

The Sonic Bazooka is a rip-off of the 4b, therefore the majority of common mods done to the Big Blast.
Self-sufficiency is key here; a google search, a NH search (seriously, it works!), or the mod directory are all preferable to posting- use the resources you have!

#312695 Habitat for Humanity

Posted by Y-Brik on 10 March 2012 - 10:24 PM in Off Topic

Pay for it yourself.

Good to know the Internet hasn't changed

Louie- This is a great thing you're doing, you have my respect and prayers. I do think, however, that going to IN is a bit unnecessary- there's plenty of places locally that need the help just as much (chicago- nuff said) while redirecting funds from gas to...you know...helping people. I hope your school will consider that on its next trip.

#324287 Simple S.S. AS-1 mod

Posted by Y-Brik on 09 December 2012 - 02:24 PM in Modifications

Nice writeup, but a lot of this has been covered here before. Look for CPVC barrel replacement mods.
Also, why did you remove the shell if all your mods were done to the (exposed) barrel?

#291825 No More Problem. Close Thread Asap.

Posted by Y-Brik on 29 December 2010 - 10:13 PM in General Nerf

Pictures?
how good are you at soldering? You didn't cook anything did you?

#307329 Simple Side-by-Side Jolts

Posted by Y-Brik on 13 November 2011 - 11:33 PM in Modifications

I used a nail with the head cut off slipped across the priming handles.
Something linking the triggers might fix that issue and be pretty cool.

Try disabling one of the triggers- keep it constantly pulled back (zip-tie) or clear off the catch notch (the 'nail'). If the priming bars are linked, one catch may just be enough.

#307345 The recon blast bazooka

Posted by Y-Brik on 14 November 2011 - 04:45 PM in Modifications

Dear god, never shoot those rounds at people- is that a nail??

#295445 Speedloader Turret Tutorial

Posted by Y-Brik on 06 March 2011 - 10:12 AM in Modifications

Very...very...very thorough. Nice build though, props for giving tips on getting the barrels straight and consistent. FYI, it's much faster to ream out CPVC with a knife or scissors than to use a Dremel on it. Nice video writeup.

#288422 Check-skirt

Posted by Y-Brik on 15 November 2010 - 12:05 AM in Homemades

Interesting concept, though in need of minimization (I'm sure you're already working on it). Honestly, I haven't had a ton of problems with this on my +bow (choppered)- I have a CPVC dart guide to avoid vac-jamming, and if I do feel a vacuum in the PT I just open the ball valve a hair to equalize pressure.

#307054 Nerf Quick-16 Mod

Posted by Y-Brik on 06 November 2011 - 09:27 PM in Modifications

I know but not really

The springs are extremely similar, but as I recall the PT is a hair thicker- I could fit a Louie-made RFSG spring on but barely, and ultimately had to put the original back in.

#300369 Sonic Bazooka Knockoff + Buzz Bee Hunter

Posted by Y-Brik on 22 June 2011 - 04:23 PM in Modifications

I know I'm gonna regret this....
Talio, is the point of NH to only promote the Hereticorps, McNumbers, and Slugs of the community? I always thought it was a point to share knowledge and ideas- in this case the mod is defintely not beautiful, but far better than many I've seen in my time here. Carving the Hunter into an underslung integration is an interesting idea and novel to the site. For what it's worth, that idea alone is helpful, at least to me.

#308331 Pimp Your JOLT - Share Your Tips

Posted by Y-Brik on 16 December 2011 - 01:18 AM in Modifications

Sorry for the n00b question but, does anyone know if a Jolt can handle a [k26]?
I've read that an ace #62 will destroy it but I don't know if a [k26] will.

As I recall, a [k26] will not fit. The included spring is already surprisingly strong, chances are decent a Jolt could handle a spring of that strength.

#302616 Pump action U Channel blaster

Posted by Y-Brik on 01 August 2011 - 11:14 AM in Homemades

With the advent of the simpler and sturdier RBP and RCP, I don't understand why we're using a more complex and less sturdy method to achieve pump action.

#287209 Spooky Illinois Foam Fest -- Canceled

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 October 2010 - 12:14 AM in Nerf Wars

Consider me a maybe. Dude, seriously, ZOMBIES!

#309630 Nerf Vulcan

Posted by Y-Brik on 17 January 2012 - 10:40 AM in General Nerf

I really can't wait anymore to get this big fat gun out of the box but until I got confirmation that my model of the Vulcan is not inferior to any existing model I won't open the box.......

1. Where did you hear these claims? If it's anything like the umpteen other guns with several generations (LS, Recon, NF), then the range and power difference is something like a foot or less (read-no difference).
2. You have a stock Vulcan and you're afraid of inferior blasters....yeah.
3. Your link is not loading. If it's a picture, upload it to a photo sharing site and embed it with the appropriate tags.

tl/dr: This is a non-issue: play with your toy! If you see major issues, you can consider modding it or, you know, getting a nerf gun that's actually reliable and powerful.

#300980 Titan Help

Posted by Y-Brik on 04 July 2011 - 12:45 AM in Modifications

Cutting it's the best way- a careful use of razor blade will give you the best finish. Meanwhile, we have an IRC which is great for asking those "I know it's stupid but I gotta know" questions without irritating the admin team.

#280123 A Quick Question

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 July 2010 - 11:55 PM in Modifications

4.5" is really small for such a large plunger as the 3B; I recommend trying longer barrels (My [k26] 3B has a 12"). A spring addition/replacement is ideal, and definitely double check the seal- both on the plunger head and also on the joint where the PT meets the coupler part.

#300990 Titan Help

Posted by Y-Brik on 04 July 2011 - 12:20 PM in Modifications

Stuff is hard when you don't have a Dremall I use a hack saw.

Did I say anything about a Dremel? No- and hacksaws are the wrong tool for the job.

#294841 Happy 17th!

Posted by Y-Brik on 21 February 2011 - 06:16 PM in Off Topic

69?
Happy birthday Jake!

#323377 Question about lubricant

Posted by Y-Brik on 07 November 2012 - 11:48 PM in Modifications

Been using this stuff for years, it's fantastic. I got mine at Miller Industrial (Similar to, but not an ACE). I've used it on plungers, triggers, even a sticky door hinge.

#286171 Nerf Modification Spring Sizes

Posted by Y-Brik on 27 September 2010 - 08:38 PM in Modifications

I'm 90% sure McMaster ships worldwide, so there's your primary source. Cannibalizing other objecs (Nerf or not) is another option, but here's the kicker- go to a few local hardware stores, look in the aisles with all the screws, washers, and other metal doodads, and see if there are springs there!

#289594 Nano Belt Blaster

Posted by Y-Brik on 01 December 2010 - 08:11 AM in Modifications

Excellent work fixing up a blaster with little seen potential!
Is there any reason you used thinwall PETG (Airgun fit) instead of medium/thickwall (Springer fit)?

#305890 Longshot Fouble Prime Problems

Posted by Y-Brik on 14 October 2011 - 11:59 PM in Modifications

I've seen this to be especially the case in the yellow LS. In my current blaster, I beveled the extension on the boltsled that usually catches on the lock. If you get it right, you can override the lock without removing it altogether.The issue arises from the tail of the boltsled jamming into the right hand wall of the shell without the lock to guide it.

#298055 The Bullpump

Posted by Y-Brik on 13 May 2011 - 11:00 PM in Homemades

Very nice. After messing around with some pump action designs, I think the vertical foregrip is something worth keeping. Have you considered a mashup of the 2 styles? A vertical foregrip with a bolt that connects to the 3/4" endcap?

#288639 The Eccentric, Airtech And Supermaxx Series Overhaul

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 November 2010 - 12:57 AM in Modifications

Very original idea to turn the tank around and use a trigger like that. Did you widen the dump valve before?

I doubt it seeing as he then sends the air thru a 1/8"-ish hole into the RSCB.
@Boot- very nice, I like seeing the creativity (if not as much cosmetics- I can live with that) coming across the pond! Keep it up!

#283173 Make Your Own Wye

Posted by Y-Brik on 14 August 2010 - 11:19 PM in Homemades

Props for creativity, but if you just join the far-right 45 to the tee, you have a wye with a direct airflow. Works fantastically with PVC cement!

#295222 Lanard Shotgun Problems

Posted by Y-Brik on 01 March 2011 - 10:00 PM in Modifications

Hobby lobby, get a massive sheet of the stuff for like a dollar. I've had this problem too (Haven't managed to fix it and now own a singled Quadshot), so im interested to see how this pans out.