Zyzybalooba's Content

There have been 42 items by Zyzybalooba (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#64638 Real Laser Pointer

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 29 September 2005 - 10:03 PM in Modifications

I want to mount a laser pointer in place of the strobe on the Firefly. I figure, since the wiring and a switch is already there, it'd be convenient, and a cool addition. I am not sure if it won't work at all, due to voltage, but I plan on using one of those cheap lasers you can get from the gas station. I figure the button can be removed, and the connection can be joined with solder, and the batteries replaced with the wiring from the AA batteries that previously connected to the strobe.

Any suggestions? I found one SS2 mod that said they used a laser pointer, but it didn't go into any details about wiring. All other searches, on forums and on Google, have come up with almost nothing of use.

I'm not a serious Nerf-war guy, but I play with my friends in and around my house. I understand that this isn't something that I should point into people's eyes, nor do I plan on it. It's not like I'm going to be chasing someone with a pinpoint laser on. I just think it would be a cool show-offy mod indoors, and a decent replacement for the strobe.

#60728 Hose Shutoff Valves

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 31 July 2005 - 05:23 PM in Homemades

I'm suprised epoxy wouldn't hold. Did you screw them in to something? Also, can I assume you used one made of zinc?

#60684 Hose Shutoff Valves

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 30 July 2005 - 11:13 PM in Homemades

Does anyone have any experience with hose shutoff valves? I was looking for some way to connect a firing tank to an auxillary tank with something smaller than a ball valve and I ran across one of these in my garage. They can hold water pressure (obviously) but could they hold any decent PSI for nerfing, or leak like crazy? They come in plastic (which I doubt would work) and zinc.

Also, on a different note, would a silicone lubricant on the inside of PVC help reduce friction on a dart or would it coat too unevenly?

#56070 Another Homemade

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 30 May 2005 - 06:19 PM in Homemades

Pump to tire stem in the main tank. I haven't decided if I wanted to integrate the pump yet, as I don't have one, but supposing it's small and theme fitting, I would.

#55293 Another Homemade

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 19 May 2005 - 08:57 PM in Homemades

This being my first homemade (I’ve never actually built one) I have a few questions about lengths and what works well. I’ve done some mods but I don’t have any
experience with homemades yet.

The idea behind this gun is a sort of carbine-rifle. I want to use at least one main air tank, and one firing tank. I am going for a good looking gun, but everything is subject to change based on resizing the barrel, air tanks, and other stuff. As for power I am going for a decent accurate range (70-ish feet or better) with at least 3 good shots from the tanks.

My estimated length would be around 2 feet including room for the stock in the back, and the barrel would be 1-1.5 ft. If I can figure out how, I may make the barrels interchangeable between 40 and 80SCH PVC, so I can use both micro and mega stefans. For now I just plan on 80SCH because I’ve gotten good results with normal stefans and Zero darts inside 80SCH PVC on an SS2. I want the barrel to stick out the front so I can attach a faux suppressor for looks.

The breech would be a variation on one I saw a while back. I’d use 1/2" cl200 PVC with a dart hole on one side nested inside a length of 1” PVC. Rather than pulling out the 1/2" PVC, I would rotate it with a rod or nail and insert the dart directly into the opening of the barrel, then rotate it back, pretty much sealing it. The reason I say cl200 PVC is so there is more room to load the dart in, though 40SCH may be better for this, I am not sure. I can draw out something if that was confusing.

My firing valve would be a pressure washer spray gun, as I read in another thread how it is very effective, and better than a hose handle. I don’t know much about them, but from what I see, it looks like I can chop off parts of it to make it more handle-trigger feeling.

For the air tanks, I want to make the main tank the length of most of the gun with 1” PVC. The ends would be sealed with CPVC endcaps caps or something like that for the sake of looks. I haven't decided if I am going integrate the pump as of yet.

I plan on using a Zero valve between the airtank and the firing tank, just because it’s more compact than a ball valve, and it would fit much better with the theme of the gun. I don’t want to use a ball valve, but I’d have to if I can’t get a non-leaky Zero valve.

On the main firing tank, I don’t know what size to make it to get maximum performance without discharging the pressure too quickly in the main tank. I am really not sure at all what sizes would be good for this kind of thing.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I have some sort of clue of what I’m doing, but I don’t have much experience with homemades.

Sketches:
image - left side with labels
image - right side

#40422 Halo 2

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 31 October 2004 - 07:56 PM in Off Topic

I am gonna stop reading this cause I don't want to know anything about the game until I play it, but just putting my word in, I say its a sequel.

#40342 Halo 2

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 31 October 2004 - 11:28 AM in Off Topic

more directly on topic: Halo 2 is not that good.  i've played a leak: same engine, same style of play, slightly upgraded weapons, no better storyline.  it's not even a good enough update to be a worthwhile expansion pack. 

See, that is from a point of view of a guy who hates Halo. Let me assess your review from the point of view of a hardcore Halo fan.

Same engine: It's a sequel. What do you expect?
Same style of play: It's a sequel. Were still playing the same game. No reason to turn it into an RPG.
Slightly upgraded weapons: Its a sequel. Fixed some old weapons and added some weapons. It isn't a different game so they don't really need different weapons.
No better storyline: The storyline is perfectly fine, as it was in Halo 1. In fact, you don't need a storyline at all beaucse you are just there to kill shit.
Not even a good enough update to be a worthwile expansion pack: Its not an update or expansion pack. It's a whole other game. I don't quite understand what you are trying to say with this sentance.

Yay Bungie.

#40232 On The Subject Of Ammo

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 30 October 2004 - 07:56 AM in Homemades

Can anybody say Stefans?

#40231 Instead Of A Breech

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 30 October 2004 - 07:54 AM in Homemades

Please realize you can edit posts and its there for a reason. Also, if you want pictures just do it on imageshack.

To upload pictures, go to Imageshack and click browse. Choose your picture, and click 'Host It'. Once you upload your picture, copy the contents of the first white box to your post. It's that easy. (Thank you Vintage)

#40229 My First Homemade

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 30 October 2004 - 07:48 AM in Homemades

Oh man, that thing looks sexy... and at 180' too.

#40228 Halo 2

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 30 October 2004 - 07:39 AM in Off Topic

I know a bunch of people who have played the leaked French version and they have all find it to be perfect. I quote "The best first person shooter I have ever played."
As for me, I want to wait the remaining 9 days beacuse playing the French version now is like opening a Christmas present on Decmber 2nd.

#39891 Sights

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 26 October 2004 - 05:39 PM in Homemades

If you want a sight, just stick a peice of wire or something to the top of your gun or make a threaded scope. Be creative, you can use anything that works. If you want a scope, buy one.

In my opinion, however, I would not reccomend anything on a ball valve gun. If it is smal, it has got to be really awkward to turn the valve with your fave up to the butt of the gun.

#39431 Apples

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 20 October 2004 - 09:40 PM in General Nerf

I feel the same way about not wanting sticky barrels. Though if you want the wet spot when you hit somone, someone on these forums once recommended putting a sponge tip on your darts and wetting them before firing them. I haven't tired it yet, but it sounds like a good idea.

#39430 Pvc Or Brass Barrels

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 20 October 2004 - 09:37 PM in Modifications

Go with the universal saying: "Whatever fits your damn FBR."

But, I find 80SCH PVC works well with micro stefans I make. I am planning on trying copper to just lengthen the barrel beacuse it is smooth like brass, yet not quite as expensive.

#39429 "homeland Security" Nerf, And The Law

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 20 October 2004 - 09:34 PM in Off Topic

If you want to be sure, talk to someone in the legal system.

I, on the other hand, would just get a quiet Nerf Gun (or you could silence one) and just pick them out from where they can't see you. They would get a sort of "What the hell was that" without being able to catch you. If you have good aim, go for the TP or eggs, no harm in ruining their fun.

#39184 Pvc Cutting

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 17 October 2004 - 10:22 PM in Homemades

For exact lengths, I use a dremel, though if you are not careful, you can easily break cutting disks. Also, I found good results with a hacksaw for barrels and such, as long as you just dremel the edges afterwards. You don't get a perfect measurement, but it has a clean cut.

#38793 Nerf Skill-1

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 11 October 2004 - 02:49 PM in General Nerf

That is because it isn't that good before modding it. Go to yak mans site if you want to modify it.

I did mod it, but it still sucks. There is a leak somewhere that I can't find. Also, I was told that it didn't really work before I modded it either. I didn't actually fire it before I modded it though, so I wouldn't know.

#38792 The Real 1964 Ultimator

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 11 October 2004 - 02:46 PM in General Nerf

Look like an airzooka of some sorts, exept badass.

#38419 Nerf Skill-1

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 05 October 2004 - 08:36 PM in General Nerf

I think it works as a good shotgun for indoors, but that is it. Maybe mine just sucks, but I get no range with that gun, even with a buttload of pumps.

#38354 My New Homemade

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 04 October 2004 - 08:28 PM in Homemades

I love the police baton. ;)

#38159 Gmail Invites

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 02 October 2004 - 08:51 PM in Off Topic

If anyone is willing: Zyzybalooba@Ieatcatsforfun.com

#38043 Making Pvc Piping Fit.

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 30 September 2004 - 04:29 PM in Homemades

Use a dremel.

#37969 Semi Auto

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 29 September 2004 - 02:25 PM in Homemades

An idea I was planning on using in my next homemade is a sort of air tank that works the same ways as Zero's semi-automatic valve. Instead of the auxillary air tank being in the firing valve, you can use Zero's basic valve and attach the auxilary chamber in the air tank, itself, by means of a ball valve. That way you can fill up the smaller tank by opening then closing the ball valve. I have no idea if it will work, but I am going to try it sometime in the future.

#37967 How Does The Sspb/sts Work?

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 29 September 2004 - 02:10 PM in Homemades

http://www.foammodif...ndD/Valves.html

Zero made this.

#37883 Size Of Vinyl Tubing

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 27 September 2004 - 07:25 PM in Homemades

I was wondering if the size of the vinyl tubing mattered. In all of Zero's models, it says to use 1/4" vinyl tubing. The only reason I can see not to use 1/2" or 5/8" is that it kinks at 30-60 degrees. It seems like that 1/4" tubing would really restrict air and only a small amount of air would actually be used. Am I wrong?

#37787 Homemade Rocket Launcher

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 25 September 2004 - 09:19 PM in Homemades

/drool

#37786 Stefan Dart Weight Problem

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 25 September 2004 - 09:02 PM in General Nerf

Stefan...

#37785 Semi Auto

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 25 September 2004 - 09:00 PM in Homemades

Just a thought, has anyone had good results with Zero's valves? I heard that they realease air too slowly.

#37147 Impressive Paint Jobs?

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 13 September 2004 - 06:24 PM in General Nerf

My "battle scarred" Lightning blitz:
Posted Image

My bling-bling SS2:
Posted Image

#36901 Looking For Mixtures That Create Gas

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 11 September 2004 - 03:02 PM in Homemades

I am just doing it with acids and baking soda. I won't use anything stronger than Hydrochloric acid. Even then, weak HCl would melt the dart.

#36293 Long Range Weapon

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 03 September 2004 - 11:27 AM in General Nerf

What about the Secret Shot 2? What can I say, I am a pistol bitch.

#35181 Looking For Mixtures That Create Gas

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 25 August 2004 - 05:39 PM in Homemades

I have to do a science project for a science class. For the project, a friend and I decided to try and make a way I can pressurize a chamber using mixtures that create gas using household items. If I can actually do it, I am going to try and make a gun based of of using these mixtures. To test it, I am going to use 1' PVC and a ball valve used as a way to seal the it off and also a firing valve.

And suggestions on mixtures? We already have baking soda and vinegar, Alka Seltzer, and club soda.

#34915 Homemade Pistol Idea

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 22 August 2004 - 10:17 PM in Homemades

I think you could get a mini pump and put it in the handle. You can just rerout air into the firing chamber with 1/4" vinyl tubing. So far it is working for me. (The use of tubing that is.)

#34656 Bow Down

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 20 August 2004 - 07:12 PM in Homemades

Doesn't your range decrease significantly on each shot?

#34623 Need Homemade Gun Help

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 20 August 2004 - 02:57 PM in Homemades

Why does Zero suggest using a 3/16" hole for 1/4" OD vinyl tubing? It seems like you would get better air flow with as more open hole, not to mention it would be easier with a bigger hole.

Edit: I should mention, I have a cool drill bit set that gives me every 64th from 1/16 to 1/4. In other words, I have drill bits sized 3/16", 13/64", 7/32", 15/64", and 1/4". It seems that if not 1/4", I could go down one or two sizes and it wouldn't hurt. Comments?

#34508 Homemade Flash Bang Grenade

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 19 August 2004 - 06:17 PM in Homemades

I think bobert has got the right idea. Fireworks would be a really good idea. In darkness, any flash of light would make you blinded for a couple of seconds until your eyes adjust back. There has got to be a way to make a safe flashbang for nighttime play out of fireworks.

#34325 Need Homemade Gun Help

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 18 August 2004 - 06:04 PM in Homemades

I can increase the size of the air tank to 1" PVC. Do you think that is unnecessary? It seems like it could make it more powerful, and it really isn't any extra work or effort.]

Also, when do you plan to test your hypothesis? I want to start working on it tomorrow (supposing I can get the supplies.) My oldest brother is going to college this Saturday and I want to get started before he leaves so I have someone that can help me out.

#34132 Need Homemade Gun Help

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 16 August 2004 - 08:12 PM in Homemades

Techno-Dann: What would you suggest for a good sized air tank? I was actually afraid the air tank would be too big (on the rifle) and take too long to pump compared to the power output and wasted air.

Alexthebeast: I plan on making my own stock, probably out of plexiglass. I will find some way so that the innards don't move around, such as gluing them down.

Osiris: The idea is that the pistol only has one shot. I am making it mainly so I have working experience before I jump into the rifle. Also, why do you say smaller darts are better? I have tried testing of my own and have found little difference, exept with a slightly longer dart you would have straighter flight, thus better accuracy. I haven't yet found a good chart of someone who has tested dart lengths.

My two questions now, before I start buying stuff are:
What is the reccomended diameter for tubing? And:
On Zero's basic valve, does the space inbetween the two couplers have to be that large? It looks like, to me, it just needs to be big enough so that the tubing can fit in it.

#34116 Need Homemade Gun Help

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 16 August 2004 - 03:41 PM in Homemades

Jyst wondering by looking at the desert eagle and the scout, do you like Counter Strike condition Zero?

No, though it is not a coincidence that I chose the Scout and Deagle combo. I am a Counter-Strike player and was a fan of the Desert Eagle before CS.

#34019 Need Homemade Gun Help

Posted by Zyzybalooba on 15 August 2004 - 12:47 PM in Homemades

I am new to this board, and apologize if anything I ask has been asked before, but I have many questions about making a homemade gun based off of my ideas. First a brief history and my scenario:

I started nerfing 2-3 months ago, when I took my friend's Secret Shot 2. I started looking into nerfing and, a month later, proceeded to mod and repaint the SS2, along with his three other guns.

Naturally I wanted more. I recently have come up with a couple of ideas to make some cool homemade guns. I am going for looks, as well as performance. My first idea was to build a powerful gun that looked like a real loser rifle. For this I chose the Steyr Scout. It would give me enough room to give it a pretty big tank with an external pump system.
After making a sketch, with a lot of extra room left over, I proceeded to think of ways to make this better, such as multiple tanks, a semi-automatic firing chamber, and an integrated pump system, while still keeping the original shape of the Steyr Scout. I will get back to the Scout later.

I knew I was going to end up messing everything up, so I decided to make a smaller handgun where I can test out some things, without just jumping into the big gun and killing it. For the handgun, I chose the Desert Eagle. It will provide a lot of space for all of its innards (approximate dimensions):
10.75” in length
6.25” in height
1.25” in width
.495” (.5”) bore
This is where questions arise.
---end history and scenario---

The Desert Eagle:
The air tank will probably be 1” PVC pipe that is around 6” in height. (Question #1) Would this tank be too small? I am going for a pretty good range, but don’t expect it to be that high for a handgun.
The pump would be an external bike/basketball pump that attaches to the bottom of the handle. From the air tank, it will go to one of Zero’s basic valves. It looks like it would work pretty well and the placement is right for a trigger. (Questions #2 and 3) Anyone have any experience with this valve? And what type of tubing should I use to connect the air tank to the valve? I am thinking of using vinyl tubing but have no idea of what width would be best.
For the barrel, I am using a crayola barrel and .5” PVC piping attached with a 3/4” to 1/2” PVC coupler. For simplicity’s sake, I will just load the darts ramrod style.
(Question #4) I will probably be using plexiglass for the casing because it is easy to use and shape with a dremel. If anyone has any suggestions for a better casing, I am open to opinions.

Onto the Scout:
Currently, the most efficient design one would be single big air tank pumped by an external pump. Although it would be nice, I don’t want those extra tanks if I can’t get strong shots with each tank. (Question #5) Is bigger better? I would rather power/range/accuracy than the ability to fire multiple shots but if there is a definite cap on how big the tank should be, I may want to try adding at least a backup/extra shot.
In the first sketch, I used a really long barrel. I realize now that it was nearly 2 feet in length. I have gone down quite a bit to around 18”. (Question #6) Would this still be too long? I think if the air tank was powerful enough, and since I am using Zero darts, it doesn’t seem that it wouldn’t matter much. I want to keep it around the middle somewhat so where the bullets are loaded is in the approximate location of where they are ejected on the real rifle.
I think I am okay for now with nearly everything else. I am using a breech loading system, probably fed from the side so it doesn’t interfere with the scope. I will probably use a thread scope because it will be easy to make and it is just for show anyways. I haven’t decided yet on an integrated pump, it would be possible and I could live with or without it. With it would require the air tank to be in the butt of the rifle, which isn’t a bad idea anyways. This only means long tubing back and forth (at 6-12” in length.) I assume this isn’t really a good thing. (Question #7)Comments?

Remember, I am going for looks as well as performance, I want to keep the gun looking a bit realistic. I have some other ideas that I can’t remember at the moment. I am open to all opinions.

Pictures and sketches:
Posted Image
Steyr Scout: Take 1
So many flaws, but it was a good starting idea. I dropped the Semi-automatic firing valve because I can't see how it would work effectively without depressurizing the air tanks too fast. The dual air tank is not a bad idea, though. I just don't know if they really need to be that huge.

Posted Image
Steyr Scout: Take 2
From those thoughts I dsigned the second scout, which I don't like at all. I am not sure how the 5 tubing to one selector thing would work, or anything else on it for that matter. I know I could figure it out if I tried hard enough. I just don't really like this one because of all the tubing and puny air tanks. It seems exessive and wasteful.

Posted Image
Steyr Scout: Take 3
This one has an integrated pump and one air tank, which is still a good idea in fact. The bottom front of the gun would detach somehow so I can pump the pump. This picture is innacurate as the pump would be moved farther forward to get more out of each pump. The idea seems pretty positive, hold the fact that I might have the same lengthy tubing problems that Take 2 would have had. On the plus side, I could probably design it so the integrated pump hooked onto the air tank externally so I could pump the Deagle from the Scout. Not a bad idea, supposing I could figure it out. Right now, this is my prime working idea.

Posted Image
Desert Eagle: Take 1
This is probably the idea I am going with for now. I am not sure of any of the lengths yet, but the air tank can be anywhere up to 6" of 1" PVC and the barrel can be at least 4". I don't know of the best diameter of vinyl tubing to use either. Otherwise, It seems like a pretty solid plan and so far I can't figure out any problems.

(Thanks to Vintage for explaning how to submit pictures.)