veginator's Content

There have been 229 items by veginator (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#362728 Trying to get back into it

Posted by veginator on 13 March 2018 - 06:36 PM in General Nerf

I've wondered if sprockets are the best way, or if a proper pawl setup would be better and NERF et. al. doesn't do it because they're used to turrets and turrets work fine for stock blasters.

Either way, I was thinking 1" 200 PSI PVC would be a good shell size. 3 darts should fit no problem, 4 if you cram them in, mega/rivals could also fit if you wanted. OD is 1.315" for all varieties of 1" PVC, ID is +/- 1.16-1.189". PVC because it'd be cheap enough to build a belt out of: 10' of the stuff would make ~40 links in the chain for ~$5 (plus whatever filler you use to make the barrels). When I was considering it more seriously, I was going to make a jig to just duct tape the shells together into a belt. Seemed like a good combination of simple, reliable, and cheap.

Oh wow, I misunderstood what you were asking for. For some reason I got in my head that you wanted to chain feed a doomsayer. So what you are asking for is a chain fed shotgun in the literal sense. That's a bit different than what I had in my head. Let me think for a bit on that.

Again, rifling isn't really what matters here. Check out Slug's recent thread about the VF1 barrel alongside the SCAR. Both were identical unless the fit wasn't right in the SCAR, then performance was better on the SCAR. The whole idea of fishing line is an adjustable elastic barrel, not to impart spin. People like JSPB and others who do it for spin are correlating two things and assuming causation. In terms of fluid dyanmics, it makes no sense that spin would help a nerf dart, DOOM wrote a dissertation-style nerf document that modeled a dart and came to the same conclusion, and cited evidence that spin doesn't help. DOOM'd document is an excellent read if you're up for it, its on his website, go read it.

What Meaker is getting at is there is zero advantage to turning/milling a rifled barrel for nerf. Either 3D print Slug's VF1 and tune the diameter, or use a SCAR barrel. 

I hope that you are either being flippant or are referring to the dimensions of some specific part, like a nerf dart or stock vulcan chain. The dimensions are dictated by the design that no one has come up with. Everyone and their little sister can CAD these days, that part is trivial. Spending the time to design, prototype, and revise is what they were asking of you, not simply drawing up someone else's work.

I'm not talking about using it for a dart. From the evidence slug has presented its obvious that this would not work on a dart. I'm talking about the rival rounds and making them more stable at a higher velocity. I only want to use a mill because I want to. I like to work with my hands, that's it.

Woah you have an engineering degree that obviously means you are a god of design and fabrication and make literally anything

I neither have a degree nor am I the god of fabrication. What I do have is a fairly well equipped machine shop and some advanced research equipment. I also have a little bit of fab experience with stuff like automotive intake manifolds, exhaust, and chassis bracing.

#362715 Trying to get back into it

Posted by veginator on 12 March 2018 - 06:46 PM in General Nerf

Woah woah woah engineer. Current SCAR methodology is just fishing line run through the pipe and anchored at either end. Try that first, then break out your fancy mill.

Fancy mill? Its just a vertical mill. Wouldn't be hard to put some barrel material in an indexing collet and start drilling some holes. I don't typically use the fancy cnc mill. Also, I always hated those fishing line and nail-on-a-stick methods for getting a rifled barrel.

A chain fed shotgun would be relatively easy in theory. Just replace the turret with a couple big sprockets like the vulcan has. Get me some dimensions and I can make a solidworks file simply enough. 

#362707 Trying to get back into it

Posted by veginator on 11 March 2018 - 07:50 PM in General Nerf

That's adorable.

To be clear, rifled barrels when used on darts are not used to impart spin. Anyone who claims that spin is the what makes the dart more accurate has a pretty elementary understanding of what's going on. I'm sure you already knew this though, being an engineering undergrad and all. The only reason that it's useful to change the twist ratio (a la Scar) is that doing so also changes the elastic inner diameter of the muzzle device. As you might imagine, more turns = smaller effective diameter.

Rifling and hop-up would be much more beneficial on a projectile with uniform density, like a rival round. As you nay surmise with your spud gun experience, hop up can increase the range and rifling the accuracy. I have seen some work with hop-up, but haven't seen much with rifling. That would be an interesting place to start if you're looking for a project.

Yeah I know, I tend to brag too much when I've been drinking.

I can think of a few ways to put some rifling inside a barrel. What is the current preferred barrel material for the rival rounds? Initial idea would be to mill a sleeve of tight barrel material and then slide it inside an outer barrel. Trying to make it out of one piece and be uniform would require a much more complex machining operation which I really don't feel like dealing with.

#362705 Trying to get back into it

Posted by veginator on 11 March 2018 - 12:00 PM in General Nerf

What about the 35 round drums? I know they weren't the greatest but they are certainly less unwieldy than a chain dangling down from the front.

Seeing as rifled barrels are becoming more common place on darts, I'm assuming similar tactics have been tried on the balls. What has been tried? From personal experience I know that, when fired fast enough from a barrel, golf balls will be unstable in flight unless you use a rifled barrel. Hell even a little back spin makes them much more stable at higher velocities.

#362698 Trying to get back into it

Posted by veginator on 10 March 2018 - 08:58 PM in General Nerf

I like the idea of a chain fed absolver but it doesn't really make a lot of sense with the all the high cap mags available now. I was talking to my brother and apparently whats keeping the power down on the ball shooters is the plunger size. Is this correct? I could solve that real quick on the lathe.

#humblebrag

Yeah bud. Want me to tell you all the ways I better than you?

#362693 Trying to get back into it

Posted by veginator on 09 March 2018 - 08:30 PM in General Nerf

No more high powered blasters!?! Back in my day, my singled basspro shotgun had a stock spring, longshot spring, and a [k26]. If your blaster didn't draw blood at close range then it wasn't worth it. I get that hvz has become more popular so blasters couldn't be as powerful but god damn thats pretty lame.

Oh btw, when I say I can make anything I mean it. Being a senior mechanical engineering student doing research has its perks. What is something you guys would like to see?

#362671 Trying to get back into it

Posted by veginator on 07 March 2018 - 11:51 PM in General Nerf

Hey, I'm an old nerf tard who got into modifying back in 2007 and eventually lost interest after a lets say an 'unsatisfying nerf war'. Well my younger brother has caught the bug and I've been looking to make a mini come back. What I'm asking today is what kinds of blasters are competitive, and what are the wars that are popular now? I want to do at least one more war/event before I have to become full adult and quit forever. Let me know whats a good blaster/mod combo. I have almost unlimited access to a machine shop, 3D printing lab, and EDM cutter... aka I can make anything. Show me what you got.

#300871 The Homemade Cobra

Posted by veginator on 01 July 2011 - 03:47 PM in Homemades

I am aware of that. As stated above, this could be entirely done out of 2" PVC or smaller. I just wanted to "compact" the design instead of having a 16" chamber to achieve the same volume. I've read up on DWV piping and fittings, and I'm aware that it's not pressure rated. That being said, it should hold for the relatively low pressures I'm dealing with. In any case, once I examine all the design flaws (I just pried apart the ends of the chamber to redo, then compare new results), I can make Version 2 and include all safety measures as would be needed.

I'm glad you know the dangers of using the the dwv. My spudding background just makes me cringe when ever I see those fittings on a pressure vessel.

#300853 The Homemade Cobra

Posted by veginator on 01 July 2011 - 09:29 AM in Homemades

This looks nice,but you may want to be aware that those two large bell reducers are DWV fittings. They are not rated for pressure what so ever and could blow on you after prolonged use. I would also like to point out your lack of using a pvc primer or cleaner before cementing the fittings together. I'm not trying too bash your gun, just trying to warn you so that you could avoid these in subsequent versions.

#300236 Savannah Nerf Outing

Posted by veginator on 20 June 2011 - 02:47 PM in Nerf Wars

I have been away for long time here for a bunch of reasons, but I’m itching to get back. SO who wants to come to good ol’ Savannah for a war?
Address:
100 Constitution Way
Richmond Hill, GA 31324
The Venue:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Possible Dates:
July 30 (0)
August 6 (0)
August 13 (2 votes)

Rules:

Eye protection is a MUST!

NO HOMEMADE AIR GUNS! NO EXCEPTIONS!

Don't be a douchebag. If the strength of the weapon is considered to be excessive we reserve the right to "spot ban" it.

No singled, plugged Titans. Titans are allowed if they have more than 3 barrels(shotgunned)

No tack darts (A.K.A-deathdarts)

s :No guns that shoot over 200 feet.

No darts heavier than a nerf ball. Stefans must have a rubber, glue, cloth, or foam cover.

All darts and guns will be inspected thoroughly, no jutting out spikes on guns---use your head guys, and remember that these are toys--lets keep it that way!

Barrel Tapping is allowed however, your gun MUST be locked and loaded to tap--A tap from 5 feet away is nicer than being shot, wink...wink.

Do NOT bring anything painted all black. We REALLY don't want the cops called for someones stupidity!
Gun hits do NOT count at our wars. If I hear the distinctive “tick” of a dart striking a hard surface I assume it has not hit a human.

What to Bring:
-Water and plenty of it
-Sunscreen
-At LEAST one primary (if I deem your blaster unfit to be used on humans then you will not be able to use it)
-Darts

PLEASE: Remember the don’t be a dick rule is always in effect

#288774 R Series Blasters - Overview!

Posted by veginator on 23 November 2010 - 08:50 AM in Homemades

How comfy is the handle?

I imagine its about the same as holding a piece of pipe.

#288501 2-11

Posted by veginator on 16 November 2010 - 09:53 PM in Homemades

Is this new gun perhaps named after the lotus 2eleven? The car 2eleven is basically a stripped down version of the exige/elise. I don't know if you did that on purpose but I can see the similarities.

Slug explains in this post.

He did? I read through it and didn't see any explanation.

#288489 2-11

Posted by veginator on 16 November 2010 - 06:46 PM in Homemades

Is this new gun perhaps named after the lotus 2eleven? The car 2eleven is basically a stripped down version of the exige/elise. I don't know if you did that on purpose but I can see the similarities.

#280241 Magstrike Troubles

Posted by veginator on 14 July 2010 - 05:10 PM in Modifications

Don't refund it, dude. That's incredibly lame. I'd hate to buy a 'new' blaster only to find out someone phuct up the insides.

Why would they put a broken gun back on the shelf? If he just says its broken and I want my money back, they will just give him his money back.

#279508 Lets Try This Again

Posted by veginator on 04 July 2010 - 09:32 PM in Nerf Wars

Well something came up and I'll have to postpone till the following saturday the 24th

#278228 Lets Try This Again

Posted by veginator on 21 June 2010 - 06:23 PM in Nerf Wars

Date is now definitely the 17th so sound off if you are attending.

#277885 Lets Try This Again

Posted by veginator on 16 June 2010 - 05:04 PM in Nerf Wars

So far I have been telling all my friends the 17th so unless something unforseen occurs that will be the date.

#277820 Lets Try This Again

Posted by veginator on 15 June 2010 - 07:35 PM in Nerf Wars

I’m itching for a war, who wants to come?

Posted Image
The war will be in our usual battle ground of the portables, a favorite for us Savannah nerfers.

Possible Dates:
July 24

Address
100 Constitution Way, Richmond Hill, GA 31324
Posted Image

What to Bring:
-Water and plenty of it
-Sunscreen
-At LEAST one primary (if I deem your blaster unfit to be used on humans then you will not be able to use it)
-At LEAST one spring pistol (There is always someone in need of a pistol)
-Darts

Its been over a year since the last Savannah war so lets make this one good

Attendance
Definites:
Veginator+4
Spud Spudoni+1

Maybes:
ASON
nerkum
umpshaplapa
modspuad+1-2
nix0101+1
Krazykrade+3
Zachist

#272784 Reinforcing The Pas

Posted by veginator on 20 April 2010 - 02:10 PM in Modifications

The plunger rod itself needs to be reinforced. It was the one thing that would break in mine which had a stock and [k26] combo.

#270597 Spring Seno Tune-up War

Posted by veginator on 28 March 2010 - 05:11 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm a no-go for both dates. I have church commitments on Sundays. You guys have fun though!

So you couldn't come on a Saturday?

#270114 Wincno

Posted by veginator on 23 March 2010 - 07:51 PM in Nerf Wars

Due to unforseen circumstances I will not be hosting Spring SENO. I have relinquished my duties to ASON. Also...

SENO IS NOW ON APRIL 10

#269950 Nerf Claymore/trip Mine

Posted by veginator on 22 March 2010 - 05:17 PM in Homemades

Military Simulation. All the veterans and old farts hate it, thats why you have been getting all the warnings. They believe that nerf should be nothing like airsoft or paintball, so I would suggest that you take off the digi camo and put on some shorts and a t-shirt.

On topic: I really like your ideas to put different aspects to the game. I every war I have been in it it was standoff after stand off of long range primaries. Its nice to see someone working on something that needs improving and not useless +bow variations.

#269231 Spring Seno Tune-up War

Posted by veginator on 15 March 2010 - 06:54 PM in Nerf Wars

For the love of god, could we all stay on topic?!?

#269203 Spring Seno Tune-up War

Posted by veginator on 15 March 2010 - 02:34 PM in Nerf Wars

WiNCNO is on May 15. Also, we need to work out some licensing over the title "SENO"...

No one else was using it so thats what I called it. Also SENO has been traditionally held in GA or Alabama.

Also, why are you advertising YOUR war in my thread?

#269157 Spring Seno Tune-up War

Posted by veginator on 14 March 2010 - 08:34 PM in Nerf Wars

Okay this is really important.

The new date is APRIL 4 so ASON can attend

#267616 Homemade Gun?

Posted by veginator on 02 March 2010 - 05:19 PM in Homemades

The name you are seeking is a Check Valve, it lets air in one way, they are easily home made, or you can buy them at a hardware store.........

Ummm, no he had it right. A schrader valve is the one-way valve used on bike tires. That way he actually has a way to fill the tank.

#265838 Blaster Classification/rating System

Posted by veginator on 18 February 2010 - 04:24 AM in General Nerf

I agree, it would definitely be useful to add point values for rscb/hopper/inline clips, since they're used so often nowadays.

Wouldn't that just fall into the the "clip" category?

#265734 Blaster Classification/rating System

Posted by veginator on 17 February 2010 - 10:52 AM in General Nerf

I really like this idea of putting blasters into specific classes but I do see 2 problems with the system.

1. Not all people may have a specific blaster for each class. This would be especially a problem where I nerf as many of us don't even have a proper pistol.

2. You're rate of fire measuring system doesn't take into account air vs. springer. I personally am working on a clip fed shotgun ,but the pumping would make the actual rate of fire slower than most singled springers.

Again, I am not bashing the idea but suggesting a couple refinements that would help to convince others to use the system.

#265071 Spring Seno Tune-up War

Posted by veginator on 11 February 2010 - 04:45 PM in Nerf Wars

april 4

#264527 Spring Seno Tune-up War

Posted by veginator on 06 February 2010 - 06:44 PM in Nerf Wars

WiNCNO is going to be on the 24th, to a very high degree of probability.

Top post updated

#264480 Spring Seno Tune-up War

Posted by veginator on 05 February 2010 - 10:48 PM in Nerf Wars

This is right around the same time as rork's war, WINCO. I'd prefer to go to both. Any chance of a change of date?

In short: no. The whole point of the date was to have it on or near spring break. Plus it's a couple months after rork's war.

#264459 Spring Seno Tune-up War

Posted by veginator on 05 February 2010 - 08:47 PM in Nerf Wars

Well I’m back and I’m itching for a war, who wants to come?

Posted Image
The war will be in our usual battle ground of the portables, a favorite for us Savannah nerfers.

Date:
April 4

Address
100 Constitution Way, Richmond Hill, GA 31324
Posted Image

What to Bring:
-Water and plenty of it
-Sunscreen
-At LEAST one spring pistol (There is always someone in need of a pistol)
-Darts

I'm am not expecting mush in attendance since the close proximity to Rork's war but it will still happen. I will also be hosting another one after school gets out in hope of better attendance.

Attendance
Definite:
Veginator+3?
ASON+2-3
Maybe:
chaintyrant13

#245005 Season Of Foam - Augusta

Posted by veginator on 01 August 2009 - 01:31 PM in Nerf Wars

Cool, thanks Veg. Is it just foam or already made stefans? Also--I was planning to bring some parts and blasters to trade----anybody else interested in doing this? I REALLY need like 2 or 3 feet of 17/32 brass, and another RFR spring or 2.

Theres not that many but they are there. Theres 84 slug stefans in total.

I will also be selling a few feet of 9/16 brass and a couple speedloaders.

#244989 Season Of Foam - Augusta

Posted by veginator on 01 August 2009 - 10:40 AM in Nerf Wars

Rogue's current Stefan count: approx 600.

I do need some stefans that fit very well in PETG if anybody has any to trade or sell when I get there. Most of my Stefans were made to fit very well in 17/32 brass or the red ones fit perfect in cpvc. Me and Spyker78 will be departing from the Tampa area at around 12PM Sunday......see you gentlemen there!----Rogue.

I have a little bit left over since I swiched to a different foam.

I will trade what I have for an equal amount of your foam, but not the red stuff. I am color blind so I have a difficult time finding them.

#244617 Season Of Foam - Augusta

Posted by veginator on 29 July 2009 - 08:04 PM in Nerf Wars

I too will have an extra primary that is free for anyone to use.

Less than a week to go

VIVA LA SOFA

#244377 Season Of Foam - Augusta

Posted by veginator on 28 July 2009 - 04:09 PM in Nerf Wars

Plus 2 wars in one week is a little much for me.

CFNF is on September 5th, how does that make two wars in one week?

Oops wrong month.

#244302 Season Of Foam - Augusta

Posted by veginator on 28 July 2009 - 05:25 AM in Nerf Wars

Thanks Veg---I REALLY want to make this one. Besides, maybe this will inspire some of you to make it to CFNF....hahaha.---Rogue.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to miss that one. I have to help around the house to get it ready to sell that week. Plus 2 wars in one week is a little much for me.

#244210 Season Of Foam - Augusta

Posted by veginator on 27 July 2009 - 05:09 PM in Nerf Wars

Ok, so some unforeseen pre-war drama. Driving home the other day I passed a new-home construction site---and promptly received 2 flat tires---sweet! $365 later, I have 2 fresh tires. Since Spyker78 is coming with me, i cannot take my motorcycle--which brings me to the point: After these unexpected expenses the 2 of us together have about $120 to get to SOFA and back. This means we will of course be sleeping in my car sunday night, and eating out of a cooler. To try and make sure we have gas money to get home I will be bringing guns, springs, and stefans to sell. We are tring to do what we gotta to be there so: VIVA LA SOFA!!!

Damn, you are the most seriously dedicated nerfer I have ever heard of.

#244006 Season Of Foam - Augusta

Posted by veginator on 26 July 2009 - 11:58 AM in Nerf Wars

Its always nice to meet a new guy with a new style of play.

Also why won't you use TIM?

Rogue, since you liike longshots would you be interested in some cheap clips?

If they are stefan modified I will. See you all there---Rogue.

Unfortunately they are not and I have no idea how to mod them for stefans.

#243803 Season Of Foam - Augusta

Posted by veginator on 25 July 2009 - 07:49 AM in Nerf Wars

I'll be attending. This will be my first war, I'm all giddy.
I'm gonna try to bring a friend with me since i don't really know anyone.

Oh, and also i'd like to bring my homemade just for shits & giggles. I will not use this in the actual war. That would be stupid.
http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?show...I\.M\.

Its always nice to meet a new guy with a new style of play.

Also why won't you use TIM?

Rogue, since you liike longshots would you be interested in some cheap clips?