Cannonball's Content

There have been 300 items by Cannonball (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#363902 Armageddon XX: SoCal's Largest NIC War (6/29/19)

Posted by Cannonball on 17 May 2019 - 02:45 PM in Nerf Wars

Working on a FB event. Should be up by the end of the day.

#363790 Armageddon XX: SoCal's Largest NIC War (6/29/19)

Posted by Cannonball on 09 April 2019 - 11:04 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there

#363289 R.H.O.M.B.U.S.S.

Posted by Cannonball on 18 August 2018 - 10:44 PM in Nerf Wars

I think it should be ok, but I'll have to see

#363239 R.H.O.M.B.U.S.S.

Posted by Cannonball on 03 August 2018 - 01:09 AM in Nerf Wars

There are a few Socal groups running events on a regular basis these days. Attendance is always up in the air but we usually get a handful of people to show up at least.

#363235 R.H.O.M.B.U.S.S.

Posted by Cannonball on 02 August 2018 - 05:42 PM in Nerf Wars

Rolling
Hills
Organizes
Many
Battles
Using
Silly
Stuff

Where:
Rolling Hills Park, Fullerton, CA
2700 Maple, Fullerton CA 92835

When:
August 25
9:30 am

Rules:
Armageddon rules: the gold standard. Copied below, with a few additions.

Darts:
Slugs and safer darts only. No metal is preferred but I understand that to maximize attendance while keeping it safe I need to keep this restriction more open. If you do make slugs, use #6 washers and not #8 washers.
If you use larger ammo, like megas or similar, keep them soft-tipped by the same guidelines as above.
If you are using silicone dome darts, they must be soft tips.
Keep total dart weight under 1.3g, too, if you're shooting 1/2" darts.
You are also free to use stock-style darts, obviously. China Darts as reviewed by Cheerios are fine. No FVJ/FVN/whatever type of darts have a rock hard rubber/vinyl tip. The tip of the dart needs to be soft.

Who:
Everyone is welcome to come, veterans and newcomers alike. I'm not going to outright ban people younger than 13, but if you plan on bringing someone who is, you are responsible for them all day and you are especially responsible for them remaining safe (hydrated and wearing eye protection). S.C.U.N. wars tend to run a little rougher/more fast paced sometimes than stock/super stock. Keep that in mind if you bring your young ones. Diy class can sting abit.

Blaster rules:
HOMEMADE AIRGUNS: Case-by-case basis. It is highly recommended that you talk to me beforehand (send me a PM or something). I'm very understanding.

TITANS: You may use them if they fire missiles (stock or Draconis or whatever) or balls. They must not be firing darts, of any size.

LBB/4B/UMB/SIMILAR: You may use them if they have the functional stock OPRV.

SUPER SOAKERS/SIMILAR: Do not bring them. If they shoot darts, they're too powerful. If they shoot water, people get mad.

SCEPTORS: If you want to use a Sceptor, make it colorful. Make it look as little like a paintball gun as possible. Wrap the tank in denim or something. If you replace the tank or pump, the OPRV must be kept at the same pressure and the tank volume may not be made any larger (stock is about 800cc).

SUPERMAXX 2000/5000/9000: Do whatever. It's fine. I hope you don't blow up your tank.

TACTICOOL GEAR: vests and mag pouches are fine, even some camo is too, but we aren't running anything milsim. Save that stuff for the airsoft field. If you think your kit is too realistic/threatening then gussy it up with some neon ducttape or flagging tape. If you look like you came off an honest to goodness battlefield or I decide your gear is excessive I'm going to ask you to leave.

MELEE WEAPONS: Don't bring anything larger than nerf brand swords or Mashoongas (if they still exist.)
If you are running a melee weapon you MUST carry a loaded blaster.

SHIELDS: Hits on shields count as hits on you if you plan to use them. I'm nostalgic enough to say that Manta Rays count as actual shields against 1/2" darts, though.

Anything else?
1.) To stop a round for safety reasons, yell out the word "HOLD". If you hear someone call "HOLD", STOP PLAYING IMMEDIATELY. At any time during a round, anyone can call "Hold", which will temporarily stop that round. Players should repeat the call of Hold so that all other players hear, until the round stops completely. If a pedestrian is walking through the field, if a player is injured or if there is some other threat to personal safety, you are obligated to call hold. You can call a hold to pause the game and sort out some issue that is not a matter of personal safety, but do not abuse it.
2.) No barrel taps allowed. Barrel taps are how you absolutely gouge someone with a brass barrel and take out a chunk of skin. Barrel taps are how you break the barrel and bushing off your blaster. You can shoot them from point-blank, or you can ask them to take the hit. Don't touch them with your blaster.

Gametypes:
The standard fair. Pistol rounds. Some freeze tag. Maybe king of the hill. Maybe some stock ammo only rounds.

#362970 'Geddon Warm up War (5/12/18)

Posted by Cannonball on 01 May 2018 - 03:49 AM in Nerf Wars

Singled sledfire counts?

It should. We'll confirm the day of.

#362927 'Geddon Warm up War (5/12/18)

Posted by Cannonball on 16 April 2018 - 01:30 AM in Nerf Wars

What are rules for pistol rounds (assuming you'll run pistol rounds)?  No mag feds, single shot only, right?

That's correct.

#362862 'Geddon Warm up War (5/12/18)

Posted by Cannonball on 07 April 2018 - 01:33 AM in Nerf Wars

Armageddon Warm up

Date:
Saturday, May 12th, 2018

Time:
9:30am - 4pm

362 N Live Oak Ave
Glendora, CA 91741

This is one of Armageddon's back up locations, and a favorite of mine. Cullen Elementary is also next door which we could also run rounds in if we choose.

As the name suggests, this is a chance to shake the rust off before 'Geddon and make sure all of our gear is in working order before the big war.

Rules are the same as Armageddon. Make sure you have water and eye protection. If you have a question about a blaster or gear, this would be a great opportunity to get approval.

We'll be running standard game types, and possibly some oldies Socal gametypes that we used to run at Ole Hammer!

Questions? Pm/post in here.

#362838 Armageddon XIX: SoCal's Largest NIC War (6/23/18)

Posted by Cannonball on 03 April 2018 - 05:01 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there

#360817 Armageddon XVIII: SoCal's Largest NIC War (6/24/17) NOW RECAPPING

Posted by Cannonball on 28 June 2017 - 09:26 AM in Nerf Wars

Armageddon was awesome, as it always is. It's been incredible having so many people come to visit us from across the country, especially these past few years. The East Coast contingent in particular comes with a good attitude and brings their A game. Glad I've gotten to know you fine folks over the years. You couldn't ask for a greater group of people to nerf/hang out with. I look forward to seeing you all next year. Maybe some day we'll return the favor and invade APOC!

Really, everyone who came out this year were awesome. The mood was light and fun. Thanks for making it so, everyone!

Let's start with some CONS: back pain slowing me down this year. Didn't do nearly as much running. Had fun regardless!

PROS:
- Ice9 is an excellent host. Our current war site is tops, and he makes sure we still have access to it year round. Thanks for all the hard work, man!
- Langley flying out to visit and just naturally assuming the role of co-host. I appreciate not having to yell at adults/teens/children once during my week, so thank you!
- getting to ZING BOW with some success (sorry Shmmee) but mostly just comedic results (sorry again, Shmmee).
- Face cards vs all. We were the "vet group," but experience didn't save us. Thought we had it at one point too!
- JLEGO and I trading shots behjnd trees while trying to get a bead on each other through the window of the back bungalow.
- Running my Khaos as a secondary was pretty satisfying. Makes me want that Nemesis real bad though.
- dart sweep went great this year.
- the two scrambles for free stuff were hilarious
- getting a free garbage bag full of unclaimed elite darts! I'll never have to buy darts for my students again. Thanks for leaving them, guys!

At the end of the day Armageddon was worth all of the hype this year and then some. If you went to any other war, you messed up. Looking forward to next year!

#357728 YANO February 2017: A SoCal Experience

Posted by Cannonball on 29 January 2017 - 08:17 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm in.

#357072 [CA] Christmastravaganza 2016: A SoCal Experience

Posted by Cannonball on 09 December 2016 - 01:26 AM in Nerf Wars

I plan on being there.

#356369 T.R.I.C.K.S. Southern California costume war

Posted by Cannonball on 21 October 2016 - 11:43 PM in Nerf Wars

Just found out about the war. Already made plans. Sorry guys.

#355188 B.R.A.D,F.E.S.T. 2. - August 13 SoCal War

Posted by Cannonball on 24 July 2016 - 11:48 PM in Nerf Wars

Family changed vacation dates. Now I can't go. Missing another Bradfest.....

#354864 S.L.I.D.E. socal war

Posted by Cannonball on 08 July 2016 - 01:59 AM in Nerf Wars

What Part of the park is it in?

There is a part of the park up the road that has two large slides built into a hill. That's where we'll be playing. If that address takes you to the large parking lot, go up memory lane till you hit another access road into the park. Can't miss us.

#354496 S.L.I.D.E. socal war

Posted by Cannonball on 23 June 2016 - 12:45 AM in Nerf Wars

Slideball! I'll be there!

#354244 Armageddon XVII: SoCal's Largest NIC War (2016)

Posted by Cannonball on 15 June 2016 - 07:29 PM in Nerf Wars

What a great nerf war! I was looking forward to Armageddon all year and it did not disappoint! Huge thanks to Ice9 and all the other people who made sure the war ran smoothly.

I think I should apologize for all those China darts I was slinging around. Just got them and was rotating through them and my K'nex darts. Would've put them away for good had I know it was harshing the vibe. My bad everyone!

My only other Con is that this war is only one day a year.

PROS:
1. Familiar faces- nerfing with you guys is always a blast. Thanks for making the trip out again.
2. New guys - always amazed by the new people showing up, young and old. You guys are a blast. Keep it up. Come back next year!
3. Clicker deathmatch was excellent.
4. Dueling Hoongfu all day. I got a few lucky shots in!
5. Freezetag is always great, even when the CVN guys are lighting you up when you foolishly decide to take cover behind the picnic table closest to them. I've still got welts...
6. Three team Carpe was awesome. Our "runners" did work. Freed me up to try and steal from the corner team. I got one!
7. The weather was great.

This war was awesome. Plenty of cool stories to tell. I'm having a hard time remembering them all. I can't wait for next year!

#349867 [CA] Christmastravaganza 2015

Posted by Cannonball on 06 December 2015 - 11:00 PM in Nerf Wars

Count me in

#346398 Armageddon XVI

Posted by Cannonball on 23 April 2015 - 12:06 AM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there with at least one guest

#346054 Indoor Arena for So Cal Nerf players!

Posted by Cannonball on 08 April 2015 - 12:35 PM in General Nerf

This sounds like a ton of fun. I would love to participate and spread the word about this to locals. I work in youth ministry, and I think this would make a great event. I'd like a little more certainty before I decide to mark this on the calendar though. Is getting this warehouse a "for sure" thing? I'd love to clue other local churches in.

#343031 SoCal War: Christmastravaganza MMXIV

Posted by Cannonball on 23 November 2014 - 08:03 PM in Nerf Wars

They had two different dates. I guess their war is the 14th, not the 20th. The 13th and the 20th both work for me then.

#342998 SoCal War: Christmastravaganza MMXIV

Posted by Cannonball on 22 November 2014 - 08:55 PM in Nerf Wars

There is an HVZ game in Camarillo I've always been interested in trying out on the same day. How much wiggle room is there for the date?

#339745 Last Armageddon (Armageddon XV)

Posted by Cannonball on 24 June 2014 - 12:11 AM in Nerf Wars

Amazing war! Huge props to Ice Nine and the rest of our hosts/facilitators. There was never a moment where I wished I was having more fun. Started strong and ended strong. I'm definitely going to remember this war.

Highlights:
- the speed rounds were as fun to watch as they were to participate in.
- the little nerfers owned the day. It's pretty much unanimous that Thorn was a force to be reckoned with.
- everyone played like champs.
- got to meet some insanely awesome new people. Huxxley. Thorn. The East Coast guys. Draconis. Spoon. All cool dudes.
- got to play with some familiar faces. It was good to see the Washington guys and the Utah group again. Better see you guys next year!
- rounds went smoothly game after game.
- shutting down the left alley with Groove the first round of Missile crisis.
- 3 min. Missile crisis win was kind of nuts.
- human cover in freeze tag is your best friend.

I had way too much fun. Thanks again to all involved. I'm sure I've missed a ton of mentionable stuff, but it was kind of a crazy day.

#332954 Last Armageddon (Armageddon XV)

Posted by Cannonball on 13 August 2013 - 01:00 PM in Nerf Wars

I've been out of the country for a while, so I missed this. If it's not a joke then I'm in. If my schedule is open in a year at least....

#331477 possible balls for a homeade

Posted by Cannonball on 02 July 2013 - 04:04 AM in Darts and Barrels

I've been using yellow practice golf balls in 1.5 pvc without a problem for a while. I usually pick mine up at target. Looks like they might've changed brands or packaging. You should be fine with just 1.5 pvc. Big blasts and Jobars/cobras get the job done. Particularly effective if you utilize them as Roboman explained. 6-7 in. barrels give you enough room to load two balls with a mess of darts in between.

#326657 Armageddon XIV

Posted by Cannonball on 11 February 2013 - 01:23 AM in Nerf Wars

I've been off the grid for a while so it's been hard to keep track of things. I will be there if it makes the window between the Youth group's high school camp and my trip to Kenya on the 30th. I was able to do it last year, but just barely. Fingers crossed.

#323716 AMIORS

Posted by Cannonball on 18 November 2012 - 11:08 PM in Darts and Barrels

Why not use a section of drinking straw that you fill with the putty to a certain length, and then cut off and insert into the dart? Might be an easier way to come up with a standard weight. Or would that interfere too much with a dart head bending when used in a hopper?

#323657 YANO 2: SoCal December War

Posted by Cannonball on 16 November 2012 - 09:41 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm free for the 8th. I'll see if I can wrangle up some of my students.

#322871 YANO 2: SoCal December War

Posted by Cannonball on 21 October 2012 - 04:35 PM in Nerf Wars

My calendar is free. I don't expect anything to interfere, so count me in.

Would it be possible for me to purchase some slugs/friendlier darts from someone? I'd like to bring a group of my students with me if possible, and I don't have the time to sit down to make any sort of darts. And since all I've got are domes, the only blasters I'd be able to use are my ball guns. That's fine with me, but most of my students aren't much for that.

#322326 D.I.C.K.M.O.V.E.

Posted by Cannonball on 08 October 2012 - 02:01 AM in Nerf Wars

Can't make it. Sorry guys.

#322325 YANO 1: SoCal Nerf War

Posted by Cannonball on 08 October 2012 - 01:58 AM in Nerf Wars

Can't make it, man. Sorry. I don't think I'm going to have time for any nerf wars till fall break. Have fun without me.

#321315 YANO 1: SoCal Nerf War

Posted by Cannonball on 02 September 2012 - 02:00 AM in Nerf Wars

Planning on showing up. I might be going down to San Diego that weekend, but it's still up in the air. So if it's not going down you can count on me being at the war.

#321312 H.N.R.G.G.

Posted by Cannonball on 01 September 2012 - 11:31 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there. Just transferred to a new school so I'll see if I can wrangle up a new group.

#317402 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Cannonball on 23 June 2012 - 12:06 AM in Modifications

Got my Maximizer working again. Breaking the 100 ft mark consistently. Nothing crazy, but it shoots far enough.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#315961 A.R.M.A.G.E.D.D.O,N!

Posted by Cannonball on 21 May 2012 - 06:59 PM in Nerf Wars

Not so sure on the 7th any more. 14th works best for me now.

#315337 I.E.

Posted by Cannonball on 07 May 2012 - 04:27 PM in Nerf Wars

I think I can make it. I'll round up some folks.

#314692 A.R.M.A.G.E.D.D.O,N!

Posted by Cannonball on 23 April 2012 - 12:33 AM in Nerf Wars

I've been talking up this event all year. The 7th and 14th work best for me. I plan on bringing as many of my usual cohorts as I possibly can.

#311246 K.E.E.P.I.T.U.P.

Posted by Cannonball on 15 February 2012 - 03:18 AM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there.

#310864 Another Simple 3D Printed Blaster

Posted by Cannonball on 07 February 2012 - 07:31 PM in Homemades

I think there is something to the idea of having printed lower and upper receivers. You don't even need to print them as functional blasters. you can just print shells that join in the middle via pins (like an AR15). The lower could just be a trigger and or a stock, and the upper can just be a plunger tube and a catch. How they are customized could be left up to the end user. You can make uppers with plunger tubes just large enough for pistol rounds, or ones large enough to be considered primaries. I guess the advantage to the system would be you have a dedicated lower with features you are already used to, with interchangeable uppers you can use to adjust to different scenarios. That way you are used to the ergonomics of the blaster regardless of the round. This should help with your aim. But I guess this doesn't matter too much since we are dealing with nerf darts here.

#307731 SanchoPanza

Posted by Cannonball on 24 November 2011 - 05:52 AM in Homemades

Wow. You really took my quote and ran with it! This thing looks awesome! I like the idea of being able to actually sight down your barrel now. I'll have to get all my materials together and build one of these ASAP! Nice job, man. Keep up the good work.