Ubermensch's Content

There have been 827 items by Ubermensch (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#364742 Mod writeup: Andrea's 4B Rifle

Posted by Ubermensch on 13 November 2023 - 05:48 PM in Modifications

Edit: Nerfhaven appears to have removed a bunch of my punctuation for some reason. I did not endorse this!

It's been well over a decade since the last time I posted a Nerf mod on here, but this hobby is still going strong in 2023, so let's do this. Presenting Andrea's 4B Rifle, my new primary for 250+ FPS cap wars.

BeLE3vp.jpg

This project is rooted in my background as an old-school NIC nerfer who returned to the field after the hobby modernized. I was a pretty frequent poster on Nerfhaven and even attended Apocalypse 2009 back in the day, but I got out of the hobby not long after that and sold most of my collection online. I remember I sold a +blow to a Singaporean guy through the trading forum on here and shipped it to him for a ridiculous price. Good times.

Fast forward to 2022. I was scrolling on the web, bored, when I started reminiscing about my old Nerf projects. I decided to read up on modern Nerfing and was blown away by the level of technology available FPS numbers that would've gotten you laughed off of Nerfhaven if you even mentioned them back in the day, not to mention half-length darts, full-auto flywheelers, and standardized mags across all the major manufacturers. I got back into the hobby in a big way, and I've been regularly attending Nerf wars with my local club ever since. 

But despite the insane explosion of Nerf technology in recent years, I believe this hobby has lost some of the magic. Back in the day, everyone would put hours into modifying their primaries, showing up to wars with loadouts unlike anyone else's. Nowadays, we are in the era of Nexus Pros and X-Shot Longshots, so it's not surprising to see numerous people running extremely similar setups at events. I have a fully modded Trion and XLongshot too, and they're super fun, but they're also sort of boring. 

Another loss I lament is air blasters. Low-pressure hand-pumped air blasters used to be the bread and butter of Nerf wars. My primary at Apoc 2009 was a singled Supermaxx 1500. But in the age of 250 fps springers and flywheelers, there simply isn't much of a place for air blasters anymore.

So when I was blessed with a free, albeit slightly chopped up, Buzz Bee Big Blast (4B) at the latest United Nerf Ops event, I knew I had to use my long-dormant Nerf modding skills to make it into something viable in the present day.

UNOs ruleset allows air blasters as long as they maintain a stock overpressure release valve, so I knew I was covered on that front. (I have a JSPB Zom-Tengu, too, but wanted something that was primarily a modified toy rather than a 3D printed homemade blaster.) The 4B already hit more than hard enough for UNOs usual FPS cap of 250, so the primary task to make it war viable was to add a magazine feed system compatible with Talon mags and other modern half-length magazines.

Instead of jerry-rigging my own magwell, like Coop did, I decided to integrate my newfound 4B into a prefabricated springer blaster with a pre-existing magwell. I soon found that the problem with this plan was that most off-the-shelf springers have their plunger tubes in line with the bolt system, making it so that the bolt would inherently have to slide back directly into the 4B tank if I were to simply swap it in for the plunger tube in most blasters. Furthermore, 4Bs are larger (and stronger) than Buzz Bee Xtreme Blastzookas, making them significantly more difficult to incorporate into pre-existing magfed air blaster designs such as the extremely dope XBZ Longstrike. After some experimentation, I decided that integrating the bolt-action mag system of the Walking Dead Andreas Rifle directly onto the front of my 4B would solve most of these issues.

Now that the preamble is out of the way, heres the mod writeup. At its core, this mod simply requires the user to chop up two Buzz Bee blasters manufactured over a decade apart, then glue them together to make one cohesive foam flinging device. Its incredibly straightforward, but I figured it wouldnt hurt to throw some details up here in case it inspires anyone else.

Please note: I'm posting this because I am bored on my lunch break and have some images from the modding process saved to my phone. I don't have the blaster on hand as I write this, so I won't be able to provide detailed images of certain parts of the mod, but I am happy to provide more upon request.

Materials needed:

• Buzz Bee Big Blast (4B) - I used the levered 2nd edition model, which is supposedly the most powerful version, but this writeup should apply to any edition. You can find these on eBay if youre patient enough, but I got mine from my local club, United Nerf Ops in the tri-state area.

• The Walking Dead Andreas Rifle - I bought mine for $15 at Target.

• Half-length magazine adapter - I used the one from Dart Zone.

• DevilZ universal pusher breech adapter - They sell these on Containment Crew as well

• Amazing Goop adhesive

• 50 cm 13mm ID aluminum barrel - Mine was made by Kuryaka

• Electrical tape

• Hot glue

• Devcon Plastic Welder

• Plastic tubing (I got mine from my local hardware store)

• Teflon tape

Tools needed:

• Hacksaw or other method of cutting plastic shells

• Dremel

• Power drill

The first step is shell cuts allowing the shells of both blasters to be connected into one piece using healthy amounts of Devcon Plastic Welder. This is magic stuff.

Use a screwdriver to remove all metal screws from both blasters. Open them up, noting the location of all internals, then remove the internals and set them aside. Then youre going to want to use a saw to cut both shells so they look more or less like this:

TTTuDqk.jpg

oUsmadi.jpg

F9VaNlh.jpg

Note that you want to preserve the part of the Andrea's Rifle shell that includes the track for the bolt to slide on. This helps it stay aligned as you cycle in a new round.

Once the cuts are done, use your dremel or sandpaper to roughen up the outside of the left side of your Andreas Rifle shell and the inside of the left side of your 4B shell  just the parts where they will overlap when you glue them together. Then put a liberal amount of Devcon Plastic Welder onto both sides, press them together, and clamp the two sides to each other until the glue takes hold. Make sure the shells are lined up properly, like so. (Keep in mind that the Andrea's Rifle shell will be thinner than the 4B shell, so gluing the left sides together like this will ultimately result in the Andrea's Rifle being justified to the left side of the integrated blaster, rather than the center. I don't care about this, maybe you do.)

WQ2fhdl.jpg

Once the left sides of the shells are glued together, place them aside and pick up the bolt from the Andreas Rifle. Cut off the front of the dart tooth, like so (ignore the 3D printed pusher breech in there, that'll come later):

lXlpEq1.jpg

Then use a power drill to remove the insides of the breech, including the dart post and air restrictor, to allow air to flow freely through it. I didn't take pictures of this part, but it's pretty straightforward.

Next, wrap your DevilZ universal pusher breech adapter in a layer or two of Teflon tape and shove it in the breech, like so: (I used a dab of super glue to strengthen the connection between the universal pusher and breech, too)

OspJOLp.jpg

Once the pusher breech is set up, place the Andreas Rifle internals back into the left side of your blaster shell to get a sense of how they fit together. Once you can tell how far the pusher goes, mark it off on the blaster shell, then wrap electrical tape around your aluminum barrel and friction fit it into the Andreas Rifle barrel shroud so that it lines up with the pusher. Make sure the chamfered end of the barrel is facing into the blaster, toward the pusher. I don't have a picture of this, but you can refer to this video for a great explanation of how to set up a DevilZ pusher breech in an Andrea's Rifle.

To prevent the barrel from moving within the assembly, pour hot glue into both sides of the plastic barrel shroud and let it set:

jyKvErO.jpg

islrKZK.jpg

Cut down the 4B barrel like so, then place the rest of the 4B internals into the left side of your blaster shell.

Cut a length of plastic tubing to connect the 4B barrel diagonally to the lower side of the breech setup  youll have to experiment with the length here, so I recommend cutting a piece longer than you think, then gradually shaving off pieces of the end until you find the proper fit. Make sure the tube doesnt impede airflow within the breech system, then glue the assembly together with a hearty amount of Goop. Let the internals sit overnight to cure, then reassemble the blaster in the morning.

XhTkYUb.jpg

ziK7wnm.jpg

Once the blaster was complete, I used small amounts of epoxy putty and Goop to reinforce the right sides of the shell and connect them together. I will be going back with Bondo or a similar filler to make the entire thing more rock solid, but I dont intend to significantly revise the look of the thing, since I actually love the Frankenstein vibes. Heres the final product a magfed 4B ready to rock at modern Nerf events:

VkKITTl.jpg

As shown in the picture above, it's about the size of a B-Variant Caliburn.

Performance:

The OPRV kicks in at around 4-5 pumps, although the fifth pump still seems to put some more air into the tank. I've found that the longer the barrel is, the harder this blaster hits. My original build reached about 230 fps with a 45 centimeter aluminum barrel, but a version with a 50 cm barrel was hitting 250 fps consistently. If I wanted, I could probably go higher with a longer and tighter barrel. 

Questions? Comments? Flames?

#364721 APOCALYPSE 2023 - August 5th-6th, Manchester and Clifton, NJ

Posted by Ubermensch on 19 June 2023 - 07:37 AM in Nerf Wars

Ill be there!

#309795 Make Magazine.

Posted by Ubermensch on 19 January 2012 - 06:46 PM in General Nerf

http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=10488

So basically all credit for this article's existence goes to me

#303476 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Ubermensch on 17 August 2011 - 10:39 PM in Modifications

Posted Image

Out of boredom, I decided to mod this shitty flywheel pistol. Supercharged it (12v battery pack) and altered the clip to accept stefans. It shoots ~45' semi-automatic and holds about 5 darts.

First post on NH in 6 months, wow.

#294253 Air Zone Stryker Cb-3

Posted by Ubermensch on 09 February 2011 - 06:58 AM in Modifications

It sort of reminds me of the LOTR Crossbow, albeit without a trigger.

#291668 Bfny 5

Posted by Ubermensch on 27 December 2010 - 09:54 PM in Nerf Wars

Shoot, I really wish I could come to one of these but I have to work every weekend in the winter. Are there ever any in the spring/summer?

#288452 Basic Eagle Eye Mods

Posted by Ubermensch on 15 November 2010 - 07:20 PM in Modifications

If you repeatedly push it in and pull it out like that you may leave disgusting black residue on the inside, especially during the summer. Imo a real coupler is more effective in the long run.

#287048 Nerf Assassination 4: The Firm

Posted by Ubermensch on 16 October 2010 - 09:11 PM in General Nerf

Great video, I found it really entertaining! Anyone who thinks it's stupid because you used nerf blasters doesn't get it. Keep it up!

#286862 Rainbow

Posted by Ubermensch on 12 October 2010 - 06:17 AM in Homemades

This is just begging for the creation of a Double RainBow.

#286140 Has Anyone Considered Making/using Sights?

Posted by Ubermensch on 27 September 2010 - 03:55 PM in Modifications

I find that the majority of the guns that you'd want to be accurate with have some sort of built-in feature that can double as a sight, such as the RFDG or the LOTR Crossbow, anyway. The exception to this is the Airtech 2k, which has that really freaking annoying curved top.

#279099 Nerf Sues Buzz Bee And Lanard!

Posted by Ubermensch on 30 June 2010 - 08:17 PM in General Nerf

Hasbro sues other toy makers over patents

http://www.businessw...s/D9G3900O2.htm
For those too lazy to click the link:

PAWTUCKET, R.I.

Toy maker Hasbro Inc. is suing two competitors, Buzz Bee Toys and Lanard Toys, claiming they infringed on its patent for the Nerf and Super Soaker brands, Hasbro said Wednesday.

At issue in both cases are two U.S. patents for Hasbro's Nerf N-Strike Disc Shot Blaster shooting toy. Hasbro also claims Buzz Bee Toys infringed on a patent related to its Nerf Super Soaker water toy.

Buzz Bee Toys, in Mt. Laurel, N.J., declined to comment.

Lanard Toys Inc., which is based in Hong Kong with U.S. offices in Sugar Creek, Mo., could not immediately be reached.

Hasbro said it wants both companies to stop making the toys at issue and pay unspecified monetary damages. It filed the complaints in U.S. District Court in Springfield, Mass.

"The action we have taken today is part of Hasbro's plans to vigorously pursue companies who misappropriate our intellectual property for their own profit," Wayne Charness, senior vice president of corporate communications, said in a statement.

Hasbro shares rose 49 cents to $39.85 in midday trading.

-----------

While I'm pretty sure that Hasbro is sueing Lanard about Nerf patent infringement, it's unclear whether Buzz Bee is being sued over Nerf patents, Super Soaker patents, or both. Hasbro has a history of losing lawsuits like this, so I don't think it means the end of off-brand blaster production or anything.

#278761 Wookie Bowcaster

Posted by Ubermensch on 27 June 2010 - 08:08 PM in Modifications

Just so you know, "actual crossbows" had triggers.

#278381 Nj Apocalypse 2010

Posted by Ubermensch on 23 June 2010 - 04:36 PM in Nerf Wars

I can't go.

#278380 Longest Professional Tennis Match... Ever!

Posted by Ubermensch on 23 June 2010 - 04:34 PM in Off Topic

Yeah the whole thing was pretty boring to watch, and the players seemed in pain by the end. But the actual numbers involved with the game are friggin' incomprehensible; that's what makes it exciting

#278375 Longest Professional Tennis Match... Ever!

Posted by Ubermensch on 23 June 2010 - 03:20 PM in Off Topic

Did anyone else watch this? Last night, John Isner and Nicolas Mahut played four sets, winning two apiece, at the Wimbledon tennis championships. They suspended play at 9:07 due to darkness. Today, they picked up the match in the fifth set and played through the entire day without a single break of serve, eventually having to suspend play at around the same time tonight. The match, which has not even ended, has broken almost every major record in tennis; the fifth set alone was longer than any other entire match in the history of the sport!

At first, I wanted Isner to win, but I can't even imagine an end to it anymore--I just have so much respect for both of the players. I think it's really exciting to witness such an Effeminate battle and historical milestone.

#276604 Breaking Nerf News!

Posted by Ubermensch on 01 June 2010 - 08:15 PM in Off Topic

happy birthday splitlip

woo bandwagon +1

#276098 N-strike Barrel Break Ix-2

Posted by Ubermensch on 26 May 2010 - 05:17 PM in News

I'm wondering if it shoots both at once, or perhaps one at a time based on the trigger pull

#275951 Nj Apocalypse 2010

Posted by Ubermensch on 25 May 2010 - 06:03 PM in Nerf Wars

I can probably go barring any huge summer travel plans, so I guess I'm a "Maybe".

#274117 The Overkill: This Is What Happens When A Titan And A Longshot Have Ch

Posted by Ubermensch on 05 May 2010 - 08:03 PM in Modifications

Posted Image

I

win

#273078 Wildfire Rebuild

Posted by Ubermensch on 23 April 2010 - 06:11 AM in Modifications

Nice work, looks great.

EDIT: REALLY, REALLY, GREAT

#272686 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Ubermensch on 19 April 2010 - 05:27 PM in Modifications

Posted Image

It's dead accurate, looks clean, gets ranges, and makes a hell of a noise when I fire it.

#271704 Nysno

Posted by Ubermensch on 09 April 2010 - 05:56 AM in Nerf Wars

Something just came up, I won't be able to come this weekend.

#271583 Nysno

Posted by Ubermensch on 07 April 2010 - 02:14 PM in Nerf Wars

Seriously, let's do something on the 10th. I think I can bring at least two others, so that's three people right off the bat.

#271559 Nysno

Posted by Ubermensch on 07 April 2010 - 06:00 AM in Nerf Wars

I might be able to go on the 11th, I can't go on the 17th or 18th, and I might be able to go on the 24th and 25th. But if anyone wants to hold the war on the 10th anyway (which I say we should do), I'd much rather go on that date.

#271274 Vr Jspb

Posted by Ubermensch on 04 April 2010 - 06:43 AM in Homemades

I am unable to download the windows version, the site just gives me this message.

"This file has been deleted because it has been inactive for over 30 days"

I have the file... I can email I to you tomorrow when I get home from Vermont. PM me with your email address

#271017 Amazon And Nerf

Posted by Ubermensch on 01 April 2010 - 08:54 PM in General Nerf

You think the atom blaster is overpriced? It's nothing compared to this

Perhaps this seller is trying to trick some poor sap into thinking he's buying the product for $19.99.

#270886 Nysno

Posted by Ubermensch on 31 March 2010 - 05:43 PM in Nerf Wars

I think I can do all of those dates, but 4/10 is best for me. If I came, I'd bring at least one guest also.

#270784 Nysno

Posted by Ubermensch on 30 March 2010 - 04:05 PM in Nerf Wars

If it's in two weekends, there's a very large chance that I'll be able to make it.

#269429 Basic Sharpshooter Ii Mods/repairs

Posted by Ubermensch on 17 March 2010 - 05:54 AM in Modifications

When I modded mine I filled the plunger head with hot glue to reduce dead space and create a better seal. Anyone modding a SSII should definitely do this.

#266056 Persuader

Posted by Ubermensch on 19 February 2010 - 07:41 PM in Homemades

How did you make the rifled barrel? Did you stick two nails into a broom handle and pull it down the pvc while twisting it or something?

#265811 Blaster Classification/rating System

Posted by Ubermensch on 17 February 2010 - 09:08 PM in General Nerf

I agree, it would definitely be useful to add point values for rscb/hopper/inline clips, since they're used so often nowadays.

#264916 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Ubermensch on 10 February 2010 - 10:45 AM in Modifications

family picture

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#263710 T20 Pistol (improved)

Posted by Ubermensch on 29 January 2010 - 09:43 PM in Modifications

Yep, that was me. Props, yours looks much more comfortable than mine, thanks to the clean-cut grip. Nice work!

Are you having any problems with the orange part in the front? I ended up removing mine because darts would sometimes get stuck in it.

#262909 The First Look At The Tetrastrike

Posted by Ubermensch on 24 January 2010 - 08:00 AM in General Nerf

Can you post a size comparison with another blaster?

btw post #1000

#262606 Big Bad Bow, Rapid Fire20, Rapid Fire20

Posted by Ubermensch on 21 January 2010 - 03:57 PM in Modifications

Of the the many blasters I've seen, that one is one of the ones with the most dakka.

#262408 Barreling Material

Posted by Ubermensch on 19 January 2010 - 06:31 PM in Modifications

It depends on your dart fit. Generally, a tight fit is best for springers.

#261359 Nerf Ultimate Frisbee

Posted by Ubermensch on 10 January 2010 - 10:52 AM in Nerf Wars

This is awesome.

#260450 Skype Group Chat

Posted by Ubermensch on 02 January 2010 - 07:47 AM in Off Topic

ubermench5047
alex lee
alex

#259052 Any Nerfers Live In New Paltz Or Neer There

Posted by Ubermensch on 15 December 2009 - 07:10 AM in Modifications

I live about an hour away.

#258751 Happy Hannukkah!

Posted by Ubermensch on 12 December 2009 - 04:55 PM in Off Topic

Although I'm Asian, I am actually half-jewish, but I don't celebrate anything.