okto's Content

There have been 490 items by okto (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#55471 Next-gen Console E3 Pics

Posted by okto on 22 May 2005 - 10:15 PM in Off Topic

Interesting that Sony and Nintendo went slot-load, and MS stayed tray, especially since 360 looks like it wants to be set up vertically as its normal mode (and we all know how Xboxen like to be turned sideways or upside down).

#55470 Far Project

Posted by okto on 22 May 2005 - 09:53 PM in Homemades

Looks very nice. Good job accurately reproducing the parts, and i like the addition of the Plexiglass sides on the mag.

#52580 Is This Lijit?

Posted by okto on 15 April 2005 - 04:25 PM in General Nerf

That picture really isn't that funny anymore. :)

Oh, I'm sorry - I forgot my primary concern. Entertaining you. Please, find it somewhere in your heart to forgive me, Lord of Comedic Pictural References, O Sutlan of Witty Imagry! Dick.

Honestly, that's so arrogant. So much humor goes so un appreciated and ignored in this community, it never ceases to amaze me. As if there wasn't enough tension already, you take a big fat steamy shit on any piece of levity that flows by. Next time instead of saying it isn't funny to you, maybe you should try to do better. Sorry, that's my little rant for this evening.

-Groove out.

I thought it was comic genius, and I applaud your efforts, Mr. Groove. It was original and witty; what more can you want in your funny?

#51098 Hard Drive Install

Posted by okto on 29 March 2005 - 10:56 PM in Off Topic

You should get an IDE hard drive, or a SATA driver PCI card. I'd go with the right card drive, rather than fuss with an add-on drive controller, unless you really need the speed of SATA.

#50945 Real Old And Rare Gun

Posted by okto on 28 March 2005 - 09:19 PM in General Nerf

You must have a renegade against ball guns. The cyclotron isn't that bad, and really, neither is the pulsator.

When's the last time you used a Pulsator? You could throw the balls with more accuracy and range than it can fire them. And the Cyclotron...ugh. It's pretty much impossible to aim because of the weird design and the fact that you have to crank it, and fires ridiculously slowly for how much work you have to put into it. Did I mention it's pretty much ginormous?

#50943 Ipods

Posted by okto on 28 March 2005 - 09:12 PM in Off Topic

Another plus of the I-river, cancelling out the "mini-computer" minus--IPOD FIRMWARE SUCKS.  You CANNOT upgrade ipod firmware unless you get someone who works at apple and is your friend to do so.

You don't know what you're talking about. The iPod firmware is upgradable, is offered on Apple's website for ANYONE to use, and has been upgraded at least half a dozen times. I think it takes a max of five mouse clicks to upgrade the firmware.
What exactly sucks about the iPod's firmware? Maybe you don't like the interface, but claiming the firmware sucks would be a reaction to freezing, skipping, crashing, etc, which I've heard of happening only a handful of times ever, to any owner of an iPod.

I upgraded to the 1.27 korean version because it ELIMINATES DRM, which is impossible on ipods.

Wrong. The DRM on the iPod only applies to protected AAC files, and it's easy as falling off a log to rip the DRM out of an AAC file, on Windows or Mac with Hymn.

#50937 Cheap Brass

Posted by okto on 28 March 2005 - 08:59 PM in Modifications

BAD NEWS TIME
The store sold out of/moved their metal stock by the time I got back to pick some up. Sorry kids...

#50791 Real Old And Rare Gun

Posted by okto on 27 March 2005 - 09:18 PM in General Nerf

Posted Image
Rangeshot.

#50421 Ipods

Posted by okto on 24 March 2005 - 02:50 AM in Off Topic

Well, you know what "mini-computer" means. If its based on XP, then it's bound to have bugs. I don't want freezing.

*cough*WinCE*cough*

#50414 Max Shot Troubles

Posted by okto on 23 March 2005 - 11:25 PM in Modifications

*giggle*
How the hell did you do that, Grinch?
I would bolt strips of aluminum on the sides to give the shell some tensile strength, and epoxy it together as well to keep it from moving around laterally.

#50413 Ipods

Posted by okto on 23 March 2005 - 11:19 PM in Off Topic

Synchronizes with the music database on your home computer? Never crashes? Doesn't take more than three brain cells to operate? Has four years of bugfixes under its belt? Has a near-infinite number of accessories?

Didn't think so.

#50231 How Sad.....

Posted by okto on 22 March 2005 - 03:07 AM in General Nerf

He probably visited here and read YWN's posts.

Bing.

#50155 Just In: Lanard Speedloader.

Posted by okto on 21 March 2005 - 02:21 PM in General Nerf

bought one today :D

eBay or store?

#50146 Ipods

Posted by okto on 21 March 2005 - 05:02 AM in Off Topic

1) Touch Wheel. The 1G iPod has a physically rotating wheel, the 2G has the touch sensitive one you're used ot on all other iPods.

2) It will hold as many files as fit in 4GB, regardless of bitrate.

3) Click Wheel, all the way. All the controls are in one place, you get tactile response (clickiness) on the play/ffwd/rwd/menu/select buttons, and the innards are greatly improved (faster response, more room for future OS upgrades, etc)

4) Froogle.

5) Probably. If you wait about a month from when you buy Apple hardware, they'll release something twice as good for $100 less. Always.

6) It lets you either play all the songs straight through or shuffle them (go figure). It doesn't support multiple playlists.

7) It says HP on the back and comes with stickers.

No way, sorry, it's iPod or nothin'. Last time I bought a different mp3 player and was disappointed. I don't care about the price. I definitely want a pod.

I like your style.

#50036 Cxwq Crosses Into The Realm Of Pop Culture

Posted by okto on 19 March 2005 - 06:10 PM in Off Topic

Teens?

#49975 Magazine-fed Fast-action Nerf Rifle

Posted by okto on 18 March 2005 - 07:20 PM in Homemades

The only people to whom office is easily accessible is college students (who can legally get it for free depending on their school) and people who use it at their place of buisiness.

Or people with access to a good torrent tracker...

Seriously, though, OpenOffice does all the MS Office file formats, is free, is cross-platform, and works well.
Also, I'll be happy to trace Boltsniper's drawings in Illustrator and host them as EPS, AI, PNG, or whatever file format people want.

#49963 Cxwq Crosses Into The Realm Of Pop Culture

Posted by okto on 18 March 2005 - 05:15 PM in Off Topic

Think Dawson's Creek. Now think California. You're there.
Asshat.

#49933 Rf20 Mod

Posted by okto on 18 March 2005 - 12:01 AM in Modifications

Thirst did not do this on an RF20. It may have been his at2k.

If we're talking T-clip, as I think we are, it was on his Titan.

#49896 X-box And Computer Networking

Posted by okto on 17 March 2005 - 05:15 PM in Off Topic

To go wireless, you have to get a wireless bridge. They're usually kinda expensive, but a couple companies (Linksys jumps to mind) make ones specially geared toward game consoles. Look at Linksys, Belkin, and Netgear; I personally prefer Linksys. Froogle will help you find a good deal once you decide which device you want.

Talio, it's the off-topic forum. If you don't want to help, shut up; remember how post-whoring works?

#49809 Anyone Know Apple Well?

Posted by okto on 16 March 2005 - 06:05 PM in Off Topic

Okay, your Apple guru is here.
You reset the power manager, good first step. Have you tried zapping the PRAM? Hold down Option-P-R while booting to do so. The PRAM is the Mac equivalent of a PC's CMOS; it holds things like time and date, boot disk, and various low-level hardware configs. If it gets corrupted, it can cause all kinds of (minor) problems, one of which is lack of booting.
If that doesn't work, it's quite possible that the PRAM battery is dead. I would leave it plugged in and powered off for a couple days to give it time to recharge, just to see if it can be coaxed back to life, but if not, check eBay for a PRAM battery. Should be $12-$20, and you won't need to buy another for at least another two years.
Cx's suggestion is a good one too, especially with the Intelligent Battery-equipped PowerBooks.

Been sitting dormant for 5 months...interested in selling it?

#49758 Hey I'm New So......

Posted by okto on 16 March 2005 - 12:45 AM in General Nerf

Which guns are you interested in? There are several new guns you can still get at Target and the like that work quite well. The AT2k is a good starter gun, and easy to mod. Target has two-packs for $10.
Welcome to NH.

#49640 Ummm....thats Just Wrong.

Posted by okto on 14 March 2005 - 11:55 PM in Off Topic

It fires foam. Thus an obvious comparison to Nerf.

#49617 Cheap Brass

Posted by okto on 14 March 2005 - 07:10 PM in Modifications

How many feet do you want?

#49611 Cheap Brass

Posted by okto on 14 March 2005 - 06:33 PM in Modifications

EDIT: BAD NEWS TIME
The store sold out of/moved their metal stock by the time I got back to pick some up. Sorry kids...

Okay, a locally-owned hardware store near me is going out of business, and everything in the store is 50% off. This means 3 feet of 9/16" brass for $4-ish, and I thought for those kids who can't get their hands on brass, or want to save a few clams, I'd pass the savings on. It's not exactly flying off the shelves, so there's probably 30-ish feet of it that I can get my hands on.

#49384 The Ultimate Nite Finder

Posted by okto on 12 March 2005 - 02:47 AM in Modifications

I think rawray said it best. A picture's worth a kiloword.

#49381 I Just Wet Myself

Posted by okto on 12 March 2005 - 02:31 AM in General Nerf

Also that Tek 12 looks pretty cool with the dual 6 barrel turrets.

Um...where do you see a Tek 12?

Damn. Hasbro may have some severious competition. That's like, everything we want, right there!
I wonder, though, how are we going to get our hands on these? Buzz Bee apparently doesn't distribute very widely, and I know some of the guns on their website have never been seen in the plastic by the NIC (unless of course someone is holding out). The ballguns, and the refill packs leap to mind.

#49282 Nerf Roller Skates?

Posted by okto on 10 March 2005 - 07:37 PM in General Nerf

Everyone back off those puppies. They are all mine.

Hope you have little feet <_<

#49260 This Guy...

Posted by okto on 10 March 2005 - 04:26 PM in Off Topic

That...may not have been real.

#49251 This Guy...

Posted by okto on 10 March 2005 - 02:28 PM in Off Topic

To the "he didn't bludgeon them" kids: Have you ever held an M1 Garand? It's heavy. First guy he killed had a saber, too, so that's totally believable.

Tait, your comment about "an era of misconstrued information and propaganda" isn't really relevant, because it was a war. That's how wars work. You inflate numbers to boost morale. You can't win a total war without doing that; propaganda is not all bad.

This shouldn't have been made into a patriotic-American-versus-liberal-Aussie thing, but since it has I'll leave you with this: We don't question the diggers' heroics in WWII. I wouldn't refute you about what they were awarded the Victoria Cross or whatever for it. Let's respect that both of our countries had heroes, thousands or millions of whom died to protect our freedom, and let the details of their heroism drop in the face of our gratitude for their actions, knowing that whatever they did, however many guys they shot, blew up, or bashed to death, it was enough to get the job done and more than we could likely ask of ourselves.

#49227 Somebody Hacked Spanky!

Posted by okto on 10 March 2005 - 02:06 AM in General Nerf

I'm wget-ing what's left on the server...for what that's worth.

#49225 Somebody Hacked Spanky!

Posted by okto on 10 March 2005 - 01:44 AM in General Nerf

Fuck. And I'm assuming we don't really have any recourse as far as revenge or justice? Any IP info on our friend D4vid?

#49223 Somebody Hacked Spanky!

Posted by okto on 10 March 2005 - 01:39 AM in General Nerf

Okay, so socially unsatisfied douchebag hacker changed the passwords through a security hole.
Do we know what has been deleted, if anything, and what's left? Or what other sort of damage has been done?

#49181 Nerf Roller Skates?

Posted by okto on 09 March 2005 - 10:34 PM in General Nerf

http://cgi.ebay.com/...7140741886&rd=1

What's Nerf-y about them?

#49176 Somebody Hacked Spanky!

Posted by okto on 09 March 2005 - 10:23 PM in General Nerf

It's not gone. There's even a post on the forum that it now links to talking about having hacked someone else's forum.
Don't assume yet that it's destroyed, you don't know that. All we, we being everyone but the staff of NHQ, know is that we can't access the forums. Have patience, it's probably not as severe as you think; at the worst we will all have to sign up again and start over, but if Spanky's worth his salt he has backups somewhere.

#49141 Ruff Stuff's Shotgun

Posted by okto on 09 March 2005 - 06:40 PM in General Nerf

Has anyone thought about performing a single barrel mod?

Doesn't that pretty much defeat the coolness/usefulness of this gun? I mean, if it's all you have, fine, but there are way better single-barrel guns already.

#49074 Alternative Projectile Choices

Posted by okto on 08 March 2005 - 10:35 PM in Homemades

Where do you get these bitsy balls (or are they just an idea)?

#48840 Ruff Stuff's Shotgun

Posted by okto on 05 March 2005 - 11:22 PM in General Nerf

...that's weird.

#48838 Tack Stefans

Posted by okto on 05 March 2005 - 11:20 PM in Homemades

What game has case-sensitive commands? It's not like he was playing a PC port of Steel Battalion...

#48837 What Does The Word Nerf Mean?

Posted by okto on 05 March 2005 - 11:17 PM in General Nerf

Nope. Read as far as nerf bars, saw THIRST's big long post about animals, and that's all.
I stand corrected. My apologies.

#48806 Can Anyone Make It?

Posted by okto on 05 March 2005 - 07:15 PM in Nerf Wars

Look...stop posting until you learn to stay off the caps lock key.
Actually, on that note, I have question. I've never been able to understand the psyche of the kids who type in all caps all the time, and I'm curious.
Why do you type in all caps?