Jacob Harris's Content

There have been 14 items by Jacob Harris (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#203740 Sm1.5k Problems

Posted by Jacob Harris on 15 January 2009 - 11:10 PM in Modifications

First, spray a shot load of silicone spray into the valve. If that doesn't work...

Second, you're going to have to open your take. Cut it at the ridge where the tank gets wider at the base. Make a straight a cut as possible. Before cutting, draw a line down the tank, so you can line it up later. Now fuck around with the tank, cover everything in silicone grease, and glue on the piece that keeps popping off. Try to fix it anyway you see fit. But I don't think you can replace that piece. It's custom made for the tank, plus it has a different density than most other rubber fender washers. Epoxy everything back up with PLASTIC SPECIFIC epoxy. If it still doesn't work then replace it with an AT2K tank.

If you screw up your tank cutting it open don't blame me. I've never tried it, but I've seen it done to a 2K with success. If you follow my instructions all SHOULD go well.

Also, shoot a PM to imaseoulman. He has extensive experience with 1.5K's.

Ok thanks. Yeh I actually cut the the tank open exactly where you mentioned and I glued the piece better and cleaned up anything that might have been causing the leak, but when I glued the tank back together, I still had a small leak. Although no damage caused by cutting the tank open fortunately :( But if need be, I can cut it open again. The gun works fine if you shoot right after you pump, but if you were to wait say 10 seconds before you shoot, it doesnt have much velocity.

#203737 Sm1.5k Problems

Posted by Jacob Harris on 15 January 2009 - 10:58 PM in Modifications

Ok so I have a sm1.5k and I plugged the pump on it and did petg barrels. After shooting it for a while, the black piece (rubber sealer) on the end of the firing pin inside the air tank, kept coming undone if I ever pumped it 4 times or more. So after it kept coming loose time after time, I dropped some glue in there to hold it in place and it stays now, but now there is a small leak. I believe that the glue may have corroded the black piece slightly, or caused some irregularity in it, so that a small leak occurred. Any advice on what I should do? I was wondering if the black rubber sealer could be replaced...(I think its a faucet washer, but im not sure if thats correct and if it is, what size it may be)

Any help is appreciated...

#201703 Firefly Question

Posted by Jacob Harris on 07 January 2009 - 07:26 PM in Modifications

An NF stock spring does fit, barely. It actually lessens range though, because when the spring compresses and throws itself out to the side, and when you shoot it scrapes the side of the PT, slowing down the plunger and wearing down your PT.

So is there anything I can do to get 60'-70' out of it?

#201564 Firefly Question

Posted by Jacob Harris on 06 January 2009 - 10:08 PM in Modifications

Could a firefly sustain a handyman or NF spring? If not, what modifications would I have to make to the gun for it to handle the stronger spring?

And besides that and a petg barrel mod, is there anything else I can do to acheive the greatest distance possible?

#201550 '08 Highlights

Posted by Jacob Harris on 06 January 2009 - 09:40 PM in General Nerf

Well, 2008 is over, bringing an end to another great year of Nerf. What do you think were the highest, lowest, and most notable points of the year, personally and on a large scale?

Highest:

-The Lancer
-The great noob influx II: Return of the Noobs
-Some great new members
-Strengthening my friendships with other Nerfers.
-Making my first transctions through NH.
-Some great new members(rork, jsb, Aside, Foamfoot, Radio, Splitlip,etc)
-The growth of FoamUniverse.

Lowlights:

-The great noob influx.
-Silentsnipe

Just out of curiousity, why does everyone hate Silentsnope?

#200732 Spring Replacement

Posted by Jacob Harris on 03 January 2009 - 12:00 AM in Modifications

Alright well I cant get a hold of a doubleshot spring and I heard a whiptail scorpion spring works too, but who has one of those? So does anyone know where the best place to buy springs are? I was thinking Lowe's or Home Depot but I wasn't sure. I went to my local ACE and all their springs are useless when it comes to nerf guns.

#200377 Spring Replacement

Posted by Jacob Harris on 01 January 2009 - 11:35 PM in Modifications

The title says it all. I have two secret shots that I have modified and I am not satisfied with their velocity. I want to replace the original spring with a stronger one, preferably one that gives me ranges of 60'-70'. Does anyone know of a spring I could buy at an ACE store or at another hardware store that will get the job done? The main problem is finding one that is skinny enough to fit inside the plunger tube (i.e. a handyman spring is too fat)

Thanks

#196389 Is Sanding Necessary Before A Paint Job?

Posted by Jacob Harris on 15 December 2008 - 06:45 PM in Modifications

Ok thanks everybody, I appreciate the input. I have decided to sand my gun with something higher than 400 grit, although i still am slightly unsure how to go about doing it. How am i supposed to sand the hard to reach places and all the grooves and what not?

#196258 Is Sanding Necessary Before A Paint Job?

Posted by Jacob Harris on 14 December 2008 - 11:20 PM in Modifications

The title says it all. I'm using vinyl dye to paint my guns if that matters.

#190534 Brass Barrel Replacement

Posted by Jacob Harris on 18 November 2008 - 04:34 PM in Modifications

Clean up the grammar please. And search for the answer to a question next time.

17/32" is smaller than 9/16", which means a tighter fit on the darts. Springers need a tight fit, and air guns need a looser fit. Both sizes are going to be the same difficulty to find. You also have the option of OMC Petg, which is right in the middle of 17/32" and 9/16" brass in terms of inside diameter, making it a good median for having the same type of barrels on different kinds of blasters. It's significantly cheaper, easier to find, more durable, yet slightly less useful in that you can't telescope more than a 17/32" piece into it.

There are two routes that work best: 1) different size barrels for different blasters. I.e. 9/16" on air guns, and 17/32" on springers. 2) Telescoping brass barrels. Search around.

This is all dependent on the foam of course though. That's a whole other story.

Ok thanks. I also have another question. Does 9/16" brass fit in 1/2" SCH40 PVC or SCH80? I read somewhere that 17/32" fits well in SCH80 PVC but i was unsure about the 9/16".

#190512 Brass Barrel Replacement

Posted by Jacob Harris on 18 November 2008 - 03:56 PM in Modifications

im currently in the process of modding my nerf guns but i have come to a difficult decision: 9/16" brass or 17/32" brass? im not sure which one would suit me better, im hoping to mod all of my nerf guns with one or the other so i dont have many different types of bullets lying around. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#188389 Ace #49 Spring For Nf

Posted by Jacob Harris on 09 November 2008 - 12:51 AM in Modifications

Usually, when you heat the foam in the dryer it gets wider, not smaller. I've never seen the length been affected, though.

I can tell you right now that's a good idea. You're looking for a snug, but not so tight you have to twist it in, fit for spring guns, and a semi-loose fit, but not so much that it falls out of your barrel, for air-powered guns. I really recommend getting some of the foam from here and some thickwall PETG from One Man Clan or Mod Man(on eBay). This foam has a snug, almost tight fit in thickwall OMC (or Mod Man) PETG. Perfect for springers.

Hope this helps!

---Salmon

Thanks for that help salmon! I got some 1/2" foam at lowes, after looking down the aisles many times! I found it! hahah I was so happy to find it. I bought 20ft for about $3. I then went to wal-mart and picked up a NF for about $8, and some 3/0 fishing weights for about $2. I'm going to break out the dremel tomorrow and take out the air restrictors. If you guys want, I can document the whole adventure with my DSLR, and have some really high quality pictures.

You can also go to Home Depot and get the handyman 9713. I believe the dimensions you are looking for are 4" x .75" I.D. x .080 wire diameter, but that's off the top of my head.

Also, you may want to add epoxy to that shopping list. If you are going to use that powerful of a spring, you will need to re-enforce the nf a little to keep it from breaking.

Thanks for that :). Problem is, I don't have a local home depot! haha, my closest home depot is about an hour away sadly. Thanks for the measurements though!

#188250 Ace #49 Spring For Nf

Posted by Jacob Harris on 08 November 2008 - 03:14 PM in Modifications

Well unless you have specific darts that fir in CPVC, don't buy a ton of it. And A few springs I bought were in the 700 range. Try out different springs. We can't give you every little detail. You should try the thinnest wall CPVC. Other than that, just ry out different things or listen to other people who might post here

Ok, I figured there would be some experimentation to it B). I've searched for hours and hours on barrel material and measurements for the barrel. I have come up with 4" on barrel length, but I just wasn't sure about the inside diameter. Ohh yea, when I dry the stefan material in the dryer, will they get smaller? As in the width, i'm not worried much about the length. Actually, at this point I think it would be better for me to make my own stefans first, then get measurements on those before I get a barrel and whatnot. Sorry about that, I didn't realize that until I actually wrote my plan out! haha.

Jacob

#188246 Ace #49 Spring For Nf

Posted by Jacob Harris on 08 November 2008 - 03:03 PM in Modifications

My ACE hardware store didn't have a #49 spring, in fact, springs that low in number where way to small for a NF. Now the bigger springs that looked to be the correct size for the NF had a 3 digit number to them. I should have taken down the measurements for the spring before I went to the ACE store, but I didn't, figured that I could pick up a spring that was labeled 49! With that being said, i'm going to go try again some time later, with measurements for the spring in hand this time! Heh, I even tried looking for the caulk saver material used for making stefans, well they had some, but it wasn't 1/2", it was much smaller. I'm headed out to the Wal-mart along with Lowes to get a nightfinder pistol, 3/0 fishing weights, 1/2" caulk saver, and 1/2" CPVC schedule 80. Could anyone comment on my shopping list before I go and buy this stuff? Thanks

Jacob