foamsmith's Content

There have been 58 items by foamsmith (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#67999 Sm1.5k

Posted by foamsmith on 19 November 2005 - 03:58 PM in Modifications

Try adding some lubricant such as silicone spray to the firing pin.

#66876 Self Sealing Trigger Valve For Air Guns

Posted by foamsmith on 31 October 2005 - 08:26 PM in Homemades

Nice Bolt. Two quick questions. what size of O-ring is that? Where'd you get that long skinny plastic piece (the piece you push in to release the valve)?

#65422 Grammaton Cleric's Sidearm

Posted by foamsmith on 09 October 2005 - 11:11 PM in Homemades

Sorry about the confusion. Yeah, I meant the wire loop. It was the diagram on page 4 that gave me the aluminum name.

I'll just leave it at this. I've done similiar things to a couple of my modded Nerf spring pistols, and have not had any touble whatsoever in caulking them.
Posted Image
Your hand should catch on the lip of the endcap, easily keeping it from sliding off.

#65413 Grammaton Cleric's Sidearm

Posted by foamsmith on 09 October 2005 - 10:04 PM in Homemades

Hey bolt, nice work! I especially like how you make your guns look externally, using essentially pvc.

Take it or leave it, but I've got a small suggestion. Replace the 1/16" aluminum handle on the caulking mechanism with a cpvc end cap, or properly trimmed cpvc coupler. This could be painted as well.

#65074 Bolt Action Magazine Fed Air Pressure Nerf

Posted by foamsmith on 04 October 2005 - 09:39 PM in Homemades

Nice work Dr. Nerf.

Next project: Build a gun with the same power/range, but that can safely be shot at anyone, from any range, thereby raising Nerf combat to a whole new level. You have three weeks. Any questions?

#61945 Sights

Posted by foamsmith on 14 August 2005 - 08:52 PM in Modifications

I can totally believe that someone who's not used to making stefans only has 4 straight and centered darts out of 80. The problem is that by the time you've identified those 4, they're no longer perfect. You see, every time you shoot a stefan out of a relatively high-powered gun the weight flies around inside the dart on launch and impact and changes the balance. Essentially, a dart never flies the same twice.

I think that's usually true, but I also think it's plenty possible to build darts so that the weight does not move around inside by making sure the weight is totally surrounded in hot glue, and the whole you burned is totally filled with hot glue. Don't you?

I have found 40 out of 80 darts that are pretty accurate but only 4 darts that are 100 percent accurate.

Forsaken_angel24, no stefans, fired from conventional modded or stock barrels, are 100% accurate.

#61407 Homemade Titan Rocket

Posted by foamsmith on 08 August 2005 - 12:55 AM in Homemades

I like the sheer size/mass of the titan missiles. But by all means, make a smaller missile if you prefer it. The only trick lies with finding a compatible barrel.

#61314 Homemade Titan Rocket

Posted by foamsmith on 06 August 2005 - 09:03 PM in Homemades

I was thinking of using Irrigation Pipe Insulation foam, but I don't know what to put on the end.

Also: What type of weight should I use, and where should I place it?

Should I put on fins?

I know this is alot of questions, but help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

~NL78~

What's Irrigation Pipe Insulation foam?

I make 'em like this:
Buy from Ace Hardware the ITP (aka Tundra) foam pipe insulation that fits 1&1/4" copper.

Experiment with desired weight and length, but definately use fins. I use 2mm and 3mm craft foam sheet glued together to make a 5mm foam sheet for the fins, which closely resembles the stock missiles. Angle the fins slightly so the missiles spins in flight.

You can either use really large fbr (like 2") or some smaller type of foam pipe insulation to seal the front of the missile. Add tape as needed.

Posted Image

#61312 Bandoliers/ammo Storage?

Posted by foamsmith on 06 August 2005 - 08:47 PM in Homemades

Frank, how did anyone find each other with 800' away bases? Anyways, I like the stock. Is that 1" PVC you used??

TS

Thank you. that's 1&1/2" pvc.

I also like the stock. What's on the end? I have some spare 1" and 3/4" PVC so I think I'll incorporate that into my sm1500.

The end is just a custom cut block of wood, wrapped in blue tape.

#60885 Arsenal Aprassial Thread

Posted by foamsmith on 02 August 2005 - 02:00 AM in General Nerf

You just need a firefly, cxwq. Keep collecting, or I'll soon pass you in size. Your arenal on todays market is worth $1748.

boltsniper - $620

SneakUP - $185

Robonerfer - $113

fastkill - $245

#59066 Odd Titan Problem

Posted by foamsmith on 11 July 2005 - 12:05 AM in General Nerf

So you think it's just a problem of the titan loosing it's air power, when you pump 16 or up? If so, try to find where the leak is and add some lubricant.

EDIT: It's probably leaking from the rear of the air tank, where the firing piston enters. I think I've had that happen on one of my titans. If that's the case, definately add some lubricant.

#59053 Odd Titan Problem

Posted by foamsmith on 10 July 2005 - 09:06 PM in General Nerf

That's weird. Can you decribe any possible differences you can detect between pumping it 14 times and firing, and pumping it 16 or up and firing. Do you hear a different sound?

#59042 Dartsmithing Tips Archive

Posted by foamsmith on 10 July 2005 - 06:26 PM in Darts and Barrels

Make them with rounded foam tips, or domes. That's what my leg says, when shot a couple of inches away.

Cons: More time. If it's not done perfect, your darts won't be as accurate.

Cut them up perfectly straight. Make sure you build some sort of template for this.

Pros: More accurate darts

Cons: more time

Burn a hole in the back of your darts, if they're going to be primarily fired from air guns.

Pros: The dart creates a better seal inside the barrel when it's being fired. It also makes a slightly more aerodynamic dart during flight. Both result in farther shooting darts.

Cons: More time. Darts don't perform quite as well in spring powered guns.

#59020 Powerclip Homemade Clip

Posted by foamsmith on 10 July 2005 - 12:30 PM in Homemades

Can't do ranges yet because I need to make some more stefans. I'll post some up soon.

Gun held 5' off ground, with good fitting stefans. All shots averaged and rounded to nearest foot.

Flat = 39'

Angled = 71'

Stock clip from same gun...

Flat = 45'

Angled = 75'

Not quite sure why the PETG barrels came up slightly short.

#57095 Firefly Speculation

Posted by foamsmith on 09 June 2005 - 07:52 PM in General Nerf

merlinski, I understand that the formula doesn't factor in the material or tip design, and that's precisely my problem. Suppose you have a micro size dart 3x longer than usual, and the front 1" has a special material or design so that it absorbs the impact of the dart very effeciently. Given that type of dart, you should safefly be able to shoot it much faster, and yet KED equation doesn't take that into acount.

#57019 Firefly Speculation

Posted by foamsmith on 09 June 2005 - 12:03 AM in General Nerf

chiefthe, you posted this a while back.

One of our primary regulations deals with the kinetic energy density of a projectile that is fired using stored energy (like that of a spring or air). The kinetic energy density is equal to:

KED=(0.5 m v^2)/A

where m is the mass of the projectile, v is the initial velocity and A is the impact area of the projectile. We have to assure that all of our blasters meet a certain value or less for KED.

We can shoot the Titan missle so much further than regular darts because the impact area (ie the dart tip) is so much greater.

Does that formula take into acount the nature of the area on the tip of a dart? It seems it should, since darts have varying degrees of absorbent levels. If you had an ultra absorbent dart, shouldn't you be able to shoot it much faster without violating regulations? Or do regualtions not even take this into account?

#56944 Powerclip Problem. Help!

Posted by foamsmith on 07 June 2005 - 11:07 PM in General Nerf

Is the third ring the only one it gets caught on? Check to make sure the clip slides easily up and down. Chances are you've mabey over tightened things (football player!) or moved things around ever so slightly so it's harder for the clip to slide. It doesn't take much extra resistence AT ALL for the clip to start acting up.

#55769 Machine Gun, Part 2... And Other Mods

Posted by foamsmith on 27 May 2005 - 11:42 AM in Modifications

That last of the CPVC in the chain does indeed show shorter sections of CPVC, those are probably 2-1.5 inch sections. After cutting 200 sections of CPVC at 12:00 at night, you get tired of cutting, thus making some CPVC sections shorter than others. But, the length doesn't affect performance.

The only reason I brought it up was because in the last picture, the top chain row looks like the ID of the cpvc barrels has been drilled out, or something.

#55755 Machine Gun, Part 2... And Other Mods

Posted by foamsmith on 27 May 2005 - 06:25 AM in Modifications

Nice job turning the RB into a weapon of war.

Is it more prone to jamming with the extra weight of the cpvc, or does the box completely fix that? What happens to the chain once it leaves the gun? Does it drop off or sink to the floor? That last picture looks like you either used some shorter pieces of cpvc than 2.5", or you drilled out your cpvc to make the ID bigger. Is any of that true?

That's all for now. I like how the removable box adds portability. Good work.

#55234 Powerclip Homemade Clip

Posted by foamsmith on 18 May 2005 - 09:21 PM in Homemades

i dont have a pc and i doubt i will ever but just thinking about the clip. an easier way to make one could be to get a thick slab of light weight wood, dont say there is no such thing because i have some, and drill hols in it large enough to hold your barrel material (say cpvc) and glue the short lengths of cpvc inside the drilled out holes then work the outside so that it fits in the pc.

I'll tell you a few reasons why that didn't work out so good for me:

1. too heavy
2. couldn't stop the wood from spliting because of how big the of holes I had to drill
3. bloody fingers from an occasional wild spinning clip.
4. didn't trust my abilities to drill straight down for all ten barrels

With softer wood though I'm sure it could be done.

#55146 Powerclip Homemade Clip

Posted by foamsmith on 18 May 2005 - 12:33 AM in Homemades

Spoon and I played around with the idea of banding the clip to offset the extra weight during our marathon PC hacking party. Our extra weight was due to brass inserts in a stock clip, but it should be more or less the same thing.

That sounds like my kind of party! What do you mean by banding the clip? Counteracting gravity?

#55144 Powerclip Homemade Clip

Posted by foamsmith on 18 May 2005 - 12:14 AM in Homemades

Here is a site for plastic sheet petg site.

That's about 5 times more expensive though. Maybe I'll try ebay.

#55140 At2k Problem

Posted by foamsmith on 18 May 2005 - 12:07 AM in Modifications

So there's nothing I can do?

You've got a shot rubber gasket (check valve). If the rubber piece (check valve) at the back of the tube still looks to be in place, try spraying some silcone spray down there. It's fixed more than one bad pump (check valve) for me.

#55139 Powerclip Homemade Clip

Posted by foamsmith on 17 May 2005 - 11:57 PM in Homemades

Yeah, hardboard rings a bell, GeneralPrimevil. That might be what it's called. I've trimmed it up a bit, sort of like you suggested. Now it's only a fraction of an ounce heavier than the stock clip.

THIRST, It's glued together with good ol' Elmer's glue, and the PETG barrels are attached in the back with epoxy, for an airtight seal.

Bishop and Ash, that plastic sheet idea seems like a better way to go. I'm sure it would be lighter which would help. Anyone one know where you can get this stuff? I think I recall hearing of some clear (maybe PETG) plastic sheet at sometime or another, and that would be neato having a clear clip with clear barrels.

oh and Langely... don't think anyone still thinks that the PC will be rereleased, at least this year.

#55061 Funniest Nerf Shirt

Posted by foamsmith on 16 May 2005 - 11:20 PM in Off Topic

Don't press us too hard, we have yet to start a rebellion.  :P

Yeah, dude? The South lost.

I'm not talking about the whole republican party throughout history, but rather the 3 rupublican on NH. No offense intended, I'm not a strong advocate of any political party.

#55058 Funniest Nerf Shirt

Posted by foamsmith on 16 May 2005 - 10:04 PM in Off Topic

I feel like the lone republican

Nah, there are two others. I have yet to completely wipe out the infestation.

Don't press us too hard, we have yet to start a rebellion. :P

#55042 Powerclip Homemade Clip

Posted by foamsmith on 16 May 2005 - 07:52 PM in Homemades

Thanks, Shinding. That's high praise coming from you. The clip does suffer from weight, and that's why I said it works ok.

MysticNinja, the stuff is at homedepot, sold in 4X8' pieces. It's about 1/8" thick. I don't know what it's called. I orginally used it for the back of some book shelves. There are two blocks of normal wood in the clip, as you can see in the first picture.

#55034 Powerclip Homemade Clip

Posted by foamsmith on 16 May 2005 - 07:17 PM in Homemades

Holy shite. That's insane. Did you use balsa wood? That's the only type of wood I can think of that would be light enough to function as a pc clip. Also good choice with the PETG, it looks sexy. And I'm also curious how ranges to compare to those of a regular clip.

Sweet job on the design, it looks like it took a good amount of time.

Thanks man. Yeah, it took a while to make. It's not balsa wood. I'm not really sure what its called. Some artificial particle board type thing found at Home Depot. It has a super smooth finish on one side of it, so I used that side for the exterior of the case.

Can't do ranges yet because I need to make some more stefans. I'll post some up soon.

#55031 Powerclip Homemade Clip

Posted by foamsmith on 16 May 2005 - 07:10 PM in Homemades

It works ok... the pictures only show one clip.

#55028 Powerclip Homemade Clip

Posted by foamsmith on 16 May 2005 - 07:05 PM in Homemades

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#54896 At2k Problem

Posted by foamsmith on 15 May 2005 - 12:08 AM in Modifications

You've got a shot rubber gasket. If the rubber piece at the back of the tube still looks to be in place, try spraying some silcone spray down there. It's fixed more than one bad pump for me.

Edit: Can't seem to get these terms straight. I don't mean the over pressure release valve, but the rubber gasket thing at the back of the shaft that only alows air to go through one way, what ever that is called.

#54793 Ebayers...how Do You Change Your Paypal Account?

Posted by foamsmith on 13 May 2005 - 02:46 PM in Off Topic

I think you can only have one paypal acount per ebay acount, which would mean you'd have to close your active paypal acount and re-open a new one.

#54740 Most Over/under-rated Guns

Posted by foamsmith on 12 May 2005 - 06:50 PM in General Nerf

Alright, I don't think money in a factor.

Underrated: LnL. You know why? Because it's the only pistol (at least out of the SSII, SS, NF, AT1K, Sm 250, Sm 350, and Mav. I don't know about the TTG.) that features a unique cylinder tube that the plunger travels down. It's not a perfect cylinder so the plunger doesn't catch until about halfway on it's journey. The result? The plunger builds up sufficiently more momentum and the feel of firing it is one of a kind.

Overrated: SS2.

#54629 Airtech2000mod

Posted by foamsmith on 11 May 2005 - 06:31 PM in Modifications

I would say, "welcome to Nerf Haven hopesfall", but you see I'm still sort of waiting on a welcome from VACC. ^_^

That air noise is the air escaping out of the over pressure release valve. You can plug that up by putting some hot glue over it. You can then get a lot more air pressure into the air tank.

#54392 Strongarm?

Posted by foamsmith on 08 May 2005 - 11:13 AM in Modifications

There's no trigger. You just push the "priming handle" foward and it releases.

#54370 Titan Missile Prototype

Posted by foamsmith on 08 May 2005 - 01:39 AM in Homemades

Taking out the air restrictors added an extra 5-10 feet with stock missiles, but improved the velocity a lot.

I'd have to disagree with that. I compared ranges to a stock titan to a cut open barrel titan and they were almost identical. I don't think the compressed air has much trouble at all exiting the stock barrel.

#54309 Mod For Airtech 3000

Posted by foamsmith on 06 May 2005 - 11:41 PM in Modifications

What happens if you only partially cover up the whole? Will it give you more air per pump without running the risk of blowing your tank?

No. Same air per pump, but it will be longer until the over pressure release valve does it's thing.

#54257 Titan Missile Prototype

Posted by foamsmith on 05 May 2005 - 08:42 PM in Homemades

Are the ranges with a stock barrel with air restricitons and everything, or did you dremel the restrictors out?

Stock barrel. I don't think dremling the "air restrictors" would increase range much at all. Some of my newer ones are getting ever closer to the ranges of the stock missiles.

#54136 Mod For Airtech 3000

Posted by foamsmith on 04 May 2005 - 02:16 PM in Modifications

If just you're going to be using the gun, then for sure plug it. But if you'll be lending it out then do a partial plug. If done right you'll be able to get a lot more air in the tank then normal, without having to worry about over pumping it.

#53856 Stefan Weighting

Posted by foamsmith on 30 April 2005 - 04:40 PM in General Nerf

High power guns like at2k...Moderately powerful guns like at3k,

The at2k is more powerful than the at3k? The at3k has a larger air tank.

I think you're altitude also plays a fairly big roll is weight choice. For instance, at my grandparent's cabin (about 7500' high), I got by with one bb per micro dart in my brassed sm1500. It didn't shoot as far as the lead fishing weight ones, but it shot straight (no fish tailing) and came close to as far. I suspect if I was real close to sea level, than I'd get results closer to what Cxwq gets.