alhava's Content

There have been 21 items by alhava (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#96749 Painting A Gun: Take Off The Shell, Or In One Piece?

Posted by alhava on 18 December 2006 - 06:16 PM in Modifications

I think that's what I will do.
The buddy who got me the longshot for xmas..

I will teach him how to mod the longshot, and in the process, we will both paint our guns.

#96747 Nite Finder Problem

Posted by alhava on 18 December 2006 - 06:12 PM in Modifications

is that e-tape OVER the rubber gasket?
wouldn't create less of a seal?

#96606 Painting A Gun: Take Off The Shell, Or In One Piece?

Posted by alhava on 15 December 2006 - 12:26 PM in Modifications

So I successfulyl modded my Longshot last night.
After putting it together poorly, I ended up sealing, and opening it no less than 5 times, and some of my screws are nearing stripped.

Next it's time to paint it, so in your experience, is it best to take the gun apart, and paint the shell pieces separately, or can I just use masking tape, and paint it all in one piece?

#96605 Homemade Manta-ray Shell

Posted by alhava on 15 December 2006 - 12:20 PM in Modifications

Props guy is probably a better resource, but...
My roommate makes custom action firgures, and he does a lot of molding and casting in resin.

and it isn't cheap.
He uses stuff called RTV Rubber. There is a type that casts at room temperature.

As for the plastic, he uses a 2 part formula, also cures at room temperature.

I don't have any links to sources, so if you want costs, you'll have to figure it out yourself.

but I can tell you that the manta is sort of large. it will take a lot of rubber, and if you need to get the inside too, that will be extra hard.

#96590 N00b Killed His Longshot...

Posted by alhava on 15 December 2006 - 02:24 AM in Modifications

That was EXACTLY it.
The plunger chamber was rotated about 90 degrees X^).
it got a little banged up too.

I have that image on my desktop, zoomed in until it's all blocky. A High res version of taht photo would be great.

But once I got that in position, the rest of the gun sealed up normal. :^)
And now it is Shooting REALLY well.

But of course my stock darts go everywhich way.
So looks like I'll need to make some stefans.
I removed my peg in the process... it was just so easy.

So I will compile all my research and pictures into yet another How-to on the longshot, because It took me a long ass time to figure out.

#96582 N00b Killed His Longshot...

Posted by alhava on 15 December 2006 - 12:51 AM in Modifications

... So maybe you saw this coming if you'd been reading my posts lately.

But I modded my Longshot. I removed teh air restrictor, added a NF spring, and tried to put it back together.

The last part is where I went wrong.

It doesn't... work right.

I can pull teh charging handle back, and it will cock.
But teh trigger is really stiff. REALLY stiff.
I can pull teh trigger though, and it makes a big kabang.

Then I can't shoot it again.

But as fasr as I can tell, the little spring loaded dart holder... the one in the barrel that prevents a chambered dart from falling out... That doesn't go down.
I pull the trigger, and no dart comes out.

Then the trigger gets stuck in the pulled back position. It can be fixed by pulling and fiddling on it, then the spring kicks in. Asa result, teh gun won't cock a second time.

Now, I have no idea how that dart stopper is supposed to go down. It's part of the action of the plunger coming forward.... so I guess it's impossible to see it drop.. but once I held the stopper down with a screwdriver before pulling off a round, and the dart came out. albeit poorly.

Does anyone have ideas on where I went wrong here? I'm sure it's in the reassembly of the gun... maybe someone else has had this problem?

#96490 Mod Guide With Pics

Posted by alhava on 14 December 2006 - 11:59 AM in Modifications

I know JUST what you are saying.
I am working on my first mod right now, and It involved a lot of searching and asking questions before I felt like I knew what I was getting into.

Frankly, the problem is that you really need to get involved in the community before you can even understand waht is being discussed... NF, BBB springs, air restrictors, pegs, all of these things are taken for granted, understood by us, but they're meaningless to strangers coming in. Average Jane, who just got her longshot and was disappointed at it's siping performance will come here. This is the best NERF modding community on the net. But there is no n00bs' guide. The closest thing to a guide or tutorial is a Forum post with 7 pages of responses. The information is there, but it's not easy to get to, and it's certainly not easy to print. Average Jane may think it's not worth trying. And wouldn't that be a shame?

I feel that it is my responsibility to document and create an photo injected modding guide for my Nightfire and Longshot.

We'll see how the LS (Longshot) mod goes tonight, and I'll work on the page next week.

#96432 Longshot Dart Replacement?

Posted by alhava on 13 December 2006 - 03:22 PM in Modifications

Excellent process.

In your experience, do the weighted darts fly better than stock darts?
I have noticed dramatic curves in the flight of my darts, will the streamlined design help eliminate uneven airflow, and provide greater accuracy?

I can experiment with plugging the hole to see if that improves the flight.

I can also experiment with weighting the hollow tips of the darts. How much weight is appropriate? I have quite a few .33g airsoft rounds.

#96428 Longshot Dart Replacement?

Posted by alhava on 13 December 2006 - 01:48 PM in Modifications

I was at Target last night purchasing a pair of Nightfires, and I wanted to get some extra ammo while I was at it, but I wasn't sure if any of the commercially available darts would fit the Longshot.

Here is what I Understand at this point:
{
The LS uses micro darts, with a relatively long shaft.

Original LS sonic darts have a rubber head with a smaller diameter than their shaft.
NERF Sonic Darts have a rubber head with a larger diameter .
Nerf velcro Dart Tag Darts have a rubber head with a slightly larger Diameter.
Traditional stefans are shorter than LS darts, this is why the clip must be modified.
To use Stefans in the LS, I must modify it to remove the "peg"
I can make my own stefans, to a size compatible with the LS and clip, and they will work in the Longshot, HOWEVER, because of their increased length there is a much better chance of fishtailing and innacuracy.
}
I want my longshot darts to be NF compatible.

Is this accurate?
What commerically available darts can I use in my longshot?

#96426 My First Nerf Mod... Springs Help?

Posted by alhava on 13 December 2006 - 01:28 PM in Modifications

I see how that would work. Any additional pressure (short of causing excess friction and slowing the plunger speed) would improve the seal, and keep the air volume high.
Where was electrical tape used? I imagine that it could beused either om the interior of the air reservoir (difficult, greasy, high maintenance, results in an uneven reservoir surface)
or around the plunger head itself, under the gasket.

That would increase the diameter of the plunger head just a litt, and improve the seal.
People Also do this by adding additional gaskets, am I right?

I purchased 2 NFs last night for this project. One to cannibalize, and one to mod in preparation.
Last night I took a NightFire apart, and removed the spring. It's sexy and beefy.
The air chamber was much larger than the air chamber of my previous side arm ($5 Airzone Tek6).

I gutted my Tek 6, and put that spring inside the NF, and it works again. A little less power, but still functional. (It was just an experiment.) I removed the air restrictor and dart peg on the NF
(! is that the "peg" that people remove with the LS?).
I was originally concerned that the darts would fall out of the barrel, but the darts fit tight enough in the barrel, even when running.

If I remove it on the Longshot, what are the benefits? Less friction to get the dart moving, but will it chamber effectively?

But with this done, I think I have what I need to proceed on my LS mod.
I have a few hours tonight between 10 and 12, I think I'm going to crack that baby open, and see what I can see.

#96423 An Idea For Hasbro.

Posted by alhava on 13 December 2006 - 11:39 AM in General Nerf

While I approve morally and stylistically ofa "bad guys" line of guns (bad guys' stuff always looks way cooler) you just can't market toy guns to kids, and tell them to use them to be the bad guy. Mentally and marketing wise, Nerf can't do that. That is why the bad gusy are robots. Advocating shooting guns at non-human targets is easier. As was stated... Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

It's the buyer's decision to use the gun as a good guy, or a bad guy.

#96351 My First Nerf Mod... Springs Help?

Posted by alhava on 12 December 2006 - 07:10 PM in Modifications

I read a lot of it today, but the photos are sporadic, and it can be difficult to follow.

People say they are remove teh "AR" (air Restrictor) add a spring, reinforce the plunger seals, and remove the "pin."

How would I reinforce the plunger seals? Are they rubber bands I can buy at any hardware store? What should I use as a lubricant once I open the gun?

What is the Pin, and where is it?

I think I have an old-ass NERF bow. Will the Spring from that do to add tension?

#96337 My First Nerf Mod... Springs Help?

Posted by alhava on 12 December 2006 - 04:19 PM in Modifications

I'm going to start with the basic modifications, removing the airflow restrictor, and plugging the pressure overflow port.

From what I understand, the air flow restrictor itself is a piece of plastic imprisoned behind a plastic screen of sorts.
I can cut the center of the screen out (I will use my dremel) and then remove the restrictor with pliers or something.

As far as teh pressure overflow port, I think it's just a hole on teh cyllinder, or something, preventing damage to the gun in the event of... something

I haven't seen many pictures of this process, but it sounds relatively straight forward. Just gotta remember to put stuff back the way it went in :^).

Anything else I should do while I have her cracked open?
How do barrel replacements worl out, with the clip loading mechanism?

#96319 Air Restrictor Removal

Posted by alhava on 12 December 2006 - 03:09 AM in Modifications

I'm looking to start my longshot mod. How did this work for you?

#96318 My First Nerf Mod... Springs Help?

Posted by alhava on 12 December 2006 - 01:42 AM in Modifications

okay, will do.
I was hoping to take some of the guess work out of it, because this is somethign a lot of people have done. But if there is no technical record of the springs that work the best, I suppose I'll have to write one.

#96296 My First Nerf Mod... Springs Help?

Posted by alhava on 11 December 2006 - 07:36 PM in Modifications

Hello. I've been eager to mod a nerf gun for a long time, but just haven't.
But now I have my longshot, and I really want to see what I can do.

There are tutorials out there, the pictures aren't great, but I think I get the gist of the basics.

I know where I can go to get my springs (lowes, home depot...) but I don't know what spring I need.
It is desribed in the forum post as a "BBB" spring, but I think that's an acronym, not an official designation.

Can someone clue me in?

thanks!

#16962 Spring Pistol Mod?

Posted by alhava on 23 January 2004 - 07:46 PM in Modifications

alright. awesome.

I have taken apart the rotating barrel assembly, and I added a spring that I got out of a broken AT1000. It more than doubled the spring length, and compressed the AirTek piston arm wouldn;t reach the trigger catch. So I swapped it with the AT1000 piston, which is equipped with multiple trigger catches (keen!). and it seems to work. I needed to hold the spring piston assembly together with four rubber bands or the whole thing would burst apart (and did many times) while trying to put it back together. Oh, and I lost the stock trigger spring. But I think it would have been too weak to hold the trigger in place anyway, so I made a new one out of a safety pin. I don;t know how well that will hold up over time, but at least it's something.
The gun doesn;t work at all right now, but I think that's because the rotating barrels are connected via a rubber seal that I smashed up and couldn't re-lube (college dorm, and no one has any vaseline, go fig.) So I think the hole is small, and the seal is fuxored, and so I'll just pull it out when I get my self a length of piping from home-depot just large enough to house a dart.

how does that sound to y'all?

From what I understand, all I need is copper piping cut to an appropriate length, then glue it to the end of my air cyllinder. Just glueing and taping seems to be good enough to get this thing shooting 70'. At least that's what it seems by looking at the Mods.

#16926 Spring Pistol Mod?

Posted by alhava on 23 January 2004 - 02:07 AM in Modifications

where can I go to get a similar sized, yet stronger spring?
any links to throw about?

and thanks you guys! I really appreciate the quick responses!

#16868 Spring Pistol Mod?

Posted by alhava on 22 January 2004 - 03:12 PM in Modifications

hey,! I have a $5 Air Tek six gun. It's a single action six shooter revolver that I bought for $5 at toy R us. It works great. you pull back a slide, adn it compresses a spring and pulls air into the cyllinder. When the trigger is pulled, the spring releases, adn the air is forced out.
I was wondering what mods I could do for this gun. I have another broken one, and I was considering putting a second spring in there to double the force, but I'm not sure the catch will work under that pressure.

Has anyone tried this?
What else can I do to get better range out of my pistol.

#16740 Custom Air Xxl Bazooka Darts: Tips

Posted by alhava on 20 January 2004 - 04:10 PM in Modifications

that would work. the darts look like pool noodles.
but how could I core one? The interior is way larger than any drill bit I know of.

#16497 Custom Air Xxl Bazooka Darts: Tips

Posted by alhava on 16 January 2004 - 04:34 PM in Modifications

hello! I have been infecting my college dorm with the desire to have Nerf wars. The idea of modding my nerf weapons makes me very happy, especially with average distances of ~ 100 feet.
I purchased an Air XXL rocket Launcher, and I was wondering what you all thought about the modability of it.
The how-tos on modding haven't really answered all my questions, so I thought I'd come here.
But first and fore-most, I need more darts for this gun. If you aren;t familiar with it, the darts have an outer diameter of 6.7 centimeters and an inner diameter of 5cm, with a tight fit.
Where can I go to get foam to make more darts? I figure if I used balsa wood for fins my darts would be more stable than teh ones that came with it, as they tend to veer off at 15'.

Any help or advice is welcome.
thanks