imaseoulman's Content

There have been 814 items by imaseoulman (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#350615 What was your favorite war experience?

Posted by imaseoulman on 08 January 2016 - 11:25 PM in Site Feedback

Gotta agree with Ice.  Deal 2010 was pretty slick.  The field was pretty good, it wasn't unbearably hot, everybody was having fun, and my sm1500 never ruptured an air tank.  I also felt hipster being one of the only folks not rocking a +bow/xbow.

#328612 Understanding Air Guns

Posted by imaseoulman on 07 April 2013 - 02:28 PM in Homemades

Very nice aggregation of information. I never thought that there was this much misunderstanding about "air guns" but from reading the comments it's clear that there is. As for reasons people aren't making many air guns, there are a couple of other factors at play.

First is that for a long time, homemade air guns have not been allowed at many NH advertised wars. This was because of safety concerns. The possible hazards of poor construction have already been discussed, and dart speed/pain inflicted was also a concern. It's very simple to up the pressure just a little bit or make the tank just a little bit bigger and be shooting darts so hard it's unpleasantly painful.

And then there's the +bow. It was a veritable air gun killer. I recall playing at a Deal war in NJ a few years ago and being the only one not using a +bow/modified xbow. With the advent of the hopper (1/2" PVC wye) a pump action springer had almost unbeatable range and rate of fire. I had to play very athletically and carefully to keep up while using my old school SM1500.

I still prefer the slight pop of an air gun over the slam of a springer any day, but it's hard to find a "war legal" air gun that competes with a well built hoppered springer. In fact a lot of the currently accepted war regulations are based on the use of hoppered springers. Hoppered springers really changed the way the game was played.

#317807 Battlemax Sceptor Write-up

Posted by imaseoulman on 01 July 2012 - 02:53 PM in Modifications

I just modified one of these a few days ago, but I did it slightly differently. Using pipe cutters, I completely cut off the seat he recommended dremmelling carefully, which enabled me to attach the coupler directly to the face around the dump valve opening. This precludes the need to plug any holes.

#316670 RainbowPup

Posted by imaseoulman on 07 June 2012 - 07:27 AM in Homemades

Beautiful work. Seeing this makes me happy I still lurk. I still hate homemades, but that is a beautiful piece of machinery.

#296453 March Meltdown '11

Posted by imaseoulman on 22 March 2011 - 07:04 PM in Nerf Wars

Just as I was starting to make darts and prep the blasters, I got word that I'll be doing training exercises all weekend, so I'm not going to be able to make it. Hopefully I get to make another war before I get transfer orders. If not, well, it's been fun nerfing with you guys while I had the chance.

#294690 Hopper Clip Improvements

Posted by imaseoulman on 18 February 2011 - 08:15 PM in Darts and Barrels

A couple weeks ago I was doing some experimenting w/ hoppers and scooped hoppers. One of the things I toyed around with is what you posted (w/ the green and yellow tape). Another interesting thing it allows is a sort of breeched hopper. I was testing ways to allow hoppers to work in the lowest powered blasters, and figured a breeched hopper would be the best. Most of the feeding issues were fixed w/ magnetic assistance.

#294639 March Meltdown '11

Posted by imaseoulman on 17 February 2011 - 07:34 PM in Nerf Wars

Just got moved in to another division. Turns out this division has the 19th and 26th off. So I could make it either date.

#294612 March Meltdown '11

Posted by imaseoulman on 17 February 2011 - 05:31 AM in Nerf Wars

Actually, it looks like it's leaning to the 26th. I made a little visual thing to help us organize it:

CLICK ME

Thanks to btrettel/Doom for showing me this site.

Thank goodness we have that site. If not, how else could we ever count to 9?

#294561 March Meltdown '11

Posted by imaseoulman on 16 February 2011 - 05:15 AM in Nerf Wars

I could make in on the fifth.

#293460 A Must-have Book For Every Nerfer

Posted by imaseoulman on 27 January 2011 - 06:47 PM in Off Topic

Wait, these aren't photographs?

#293314 Grid Code 2

Posted by imaseoulman on 24 January 2011 - 08:05 PM in Nerf Wars

Just thought I'd throw this out there. If anybody further north than I am (around Albany) is heading down, or if you're on the way from Albany, I'd be happy to car pool. Shoot me a PM.

#293308 The Semiauto Salvo

Posted by imaseoulman on 24 January 2011 - 05:41 PM in Modifications

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your setup here, but I fail to see how a check valve in your line of tubing is going to help your problem. If the check valve is between the trigger and blast chamber, then the blast chamber won't exhaust => no firing.

If it's between the tanks and the trigger, it will still allow flow to leak out. At best it will work as a restricting orifice.

From what I understand, you basically have tanks with a tube to the back trigger port and one tank attached to the first trigger port. Is that right? If so, a check valve isn't going to help.

#293165 Grid Code 2

Posted by imaseoulman on 20 January 2011 - 08:09 PM in Nerf Wars

I just found out for sure what my schedule will be for the next few months and I asked for and got Feb. 26th off. I don't know if planned attendance is too high or not, but I had a blast time and would love to make it again this time.

So, if I'm invited, you can put me down as a definite.

#292587 Finally

Posted by imaseoulman on 10 January 2011 - 10:24 PM in Off Topic

Thanks for the congrats guys.

Turns out being awesome comes with a price. There was a manning issue and they needed to send an ELT candidate to the other plant to qualify ELT there. They said it had to be somebody who was really good at what they do so they could learn a new plant very quickly (they are very different plants) so they can then do the advanced ELT training...so they sent me. This was supposed to be an easy week off until I started my next training, but now I'm already in training again.

Some day I'll get to breathe.

#292373 Finally

Posted by imaseoulman on 07 January 2011 - 04:51 AM in Off Topic

Out of curiosity, what does an 'Engineering Laboratory Technician' do? Research & Development?

Oh no, it's way less cool than that. It's basically a combination rad tech and glorified pool boy. My responsibilities include monitoring and adjusting plant chemistry to maintain plant integrity and prolong core life. I'll also be in charge of monitoring everyone's radiation exposure, preventing exceeding any dose limits, and leading the response team to any sort of radioactive spill. So basically combination rad tech and glorified pool boy. I'll still have the designation to operate the plant, but that won't be my primary focus.

#292360 Finally

Posted by imaseoulman on 06 January 2011 - 10:05 PM in Off Topic

Are you working at the plant in Seabrook? Does that mean your up for Battlle of the Bunker 2? and Congratulations on the kid!

Plant in Seabrook? I have no idea what plant you're talking about. The navy only has training plants in Ballston Spa, NY (near Saratoga Springs, which is where I'm working) and Charleston, SC. Beyond that, it has plants on all submarines and air craft carriers around the world.

Battle of the Bunker 2? Not likely, but we'll see.

#292339 Finally

Posted by imaseoulman on 06 January 2011 - 05:14 PM in Off Topic

Well, it's been almost two years, but I'm finally officially qualified to operate a U.S. Navy Nuclear Power and Propulsion Plant! Thanks to every one who has wished me well along the way!

It's been a pretty tough program and it's a huge relief to be done with my initial quals. I get a week off and then, because I was lucky enough to be selected for further training (a good thing) as an Engineering Laboratory Technician. I start ELT school after the week off and the qual process for that takes about three months, so I'll be around for some northeast nerfing this spring...if schedules work out.

Also, since I'm just talking about my life, I had a baby on Dec. 27th. Beautiful baby girl with lots of long blonde hair. I now have three children under the age of three (until this weekend).

#292176 Grid Code 2

Posted by imaseoulman on 03 January 2011 - 07:46 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm a maybe. I recently found out that I'm going to be in NY a little longer (through April). As usual my schedule is very tentative and I won't know for sure if I can make it until later. I can do the 5th and 12th, but it looks like it's going to be the 26th, so I'll make the down payment, but I'm not a definite.

#288722 Nerf Humans Vs. Zombies Theatrical Trailer 2010

Posted by imaseoulman on 22 November 2010 - 11:18 AM in General Nerf

Wow. I didn't expect to laugh as hard as I did.

"How many of you are there?"

#288645 Rear-loading At2k

Posted by imaseoulman on 20 November 2010 - 08:59 AM in Modifications

Step 4 - Tank Flow (Props to LouieC3)

Really?

edit: I'm told my humor is missed due to the internets, so I'm inserting the obligatory facepalm/ :rolleyes: Arguing about getting credit is awesome! :) Man, I really do feel the testosterone being sucked out of me every time I click one of those smileys.

#288644 The Eccentric, Airtech And Supermaxx Series Overhaul

Posted by imaseoulman on 20 November 2010 - 08:53 AM in Modifications

Nice outside the box thinking, but I wonder about longevity and durability. It appears that you are pulling the pin at a slight angle due to the arc of travel of the clothespin. Past designs for integrations and the like that involved pulling a pin on a dump valve led to leaking out around the firing pin. The angle is only slight and this may not be an issue at all, but it's something to keep an eye on. Keep us posted on the long term use of this. Ideally it should be war tested over an entire season, but even just firing it repeatedly several times several days apart and examining for leaks would be interesting. If the seal on the firing pin isn't an issue, I could easily see myself making something with a clothespin trigger. It allows minimization and an easier pull for a left handed side arm type shot. Great thinking.

#288131 Splitfire Problem

Posted by imaseoulman on 08 November 2010 - 12:49 PM in Modifications

I wasn't saying you only need a total of one check valve. Most pumps include a check valve, by adding another check valve you have two. Because SF's always fire sequentially you don't have to worry about firing the second chamber first, so adding a(nother) check valve after the branch to the second tank, you're covered. However, I'll reiterate that adding tubing to a SF is not easy.

And as for your other point, depending on the setup, the second tank would just fire with the first tank. If there is a flow path from the pilot exhaust of tank #2 to anywhere in the tank #1 system (which you seem to be assuming) it will most likely just double fire. I've done several setups like this for volleys and the like and it takes very little flow. The firing of tank #1 is VERY unlikely to be affected at all. SF's have very small tanks/poppets and exhaust very quickly, but even ignoring that, it shouldn't be affected. Again, this does depend on setup.

#288122 Splitfire Problem

Posted by imaseoulman on 08 November 2010 - 10:24 AM in Modifications

No, you don't need two pumps. Just another check valve. Also, Banshee, these are a pain to work on. You don't have much space to add the tubing behind the poppet and adding it anywhere else is asking for trouble. I've fixed five or six of these over the years and they've always taken more work than any other blaster. It probably is a check valve, but it's hard to tell without actually handling it. Before you make any cuts in it, make sure you understand COMPLETELY how it works, or you'll probably end up screwing it up. Good luck.

#287862 We Report Range, Why Not Velocity?

Posted by imaseoulman on 03 November 2010 - 05:50 PM in Off Topic

Can anyone explain how we've filled two pages to say that the faster the dart leaves the barrel the farther it will go? Or has Aristotle been right this whole time?

#287342 Marval Nyc Nerf Team

Posted by imaseoulman on 22 October 2010 - 07:59 AM in Nerf Wars

Has anybody actually read this:

Nerf Network Marketing?

A budget? I'm intimidated.

#287298 Talio's War

Posted by imaseoulman on 21 October 2010 - 08:01 AM in Nerf Wars

If it happens in December, I have the 4th and the 11th off (first and second Saturday).

#287280 Talio's War

Posted by imaseoulman on 20 October 2010 - 09:40 PM in Nerf Wars

My only Saturday off in Nov. is the 6th. Probably too soon for most people, but if it is that day, I could make it.

#286529 Where Should I Post My Writeup?

Posted by imaseoulman on 03 October 2010 - 09:24 PM in Off Topic

How can you tell he used it incorrectly? I don't even know what he's trying to say. Maybe he just really hates mindless hipsters?

#286451 Where Should I Post My Writeup?

Posted by imaseoulman on 02 October 2010 - 08:23 PM in Off Topic

I'm definitely feeling that rubbernecking urge right now. I know this is a train wreck waiting to happen, but I just can't help but hope that this gets posted so that I can't look away.

P.S. Is that sentence as confusing as I think it is?

#286156 Has Anyone Considered Making/using Sights?

Posted by imaseoulman on 27 September 2010 - 06:05 PM in Modifications

A few years back I put "sights" on a Blast Bazooka. It had a paper plate size grouping at about 100'. The sight was pretty basic, just another piece of CPVC fixed to the CPVC barrel. I thought about cutting out much of it, leaving a ring at the rear and front of the barrel but never got around to it. At the time my play-style almost never allowed for the time to line up a shot like that. I played fast pace nerf, as most people do, and if you take time to actually use a "sight" then you are probably going to get hit. But stick something on there (a piece of CPVC works pretty well) and try it out. At a war, you'll most likely find that looking down the barrel works just fine.

#285410 Pump-action Crossbow

Posted by imaseoulman on 14 September 2010 - 07:59 PM in Homemades

Ha. He said, "buccal."

#283607 Nerf, Nozzles, And Fluid Dynamics

Posted by imaseoulman on 20 August 2010 - 03:07 PM in Off Topic

I mean, it's not cold temperatures. We're still talking about steam from a steam generator at greater than atmospheric pressure, but it is substantially below 1000K.
But from my reading, these can work with unheated gases. We don't have anything like that in our plant, but I was reading about it somewhere, using just compressed air. I'll see if I can find where I read that.

#283578 Nerf, Nozzles, And Fluid Dynamics

Posted by imaseoulman on 20 August 2010 - 04:37 AM in Off Topic

Woe, doom, simmer. I misunderstood that part of your first post. We are in agreement. I really didn't think a convergent-divergent nozzle would help in nerf (negligible at best) but I thought I'd throw out the question for discussion. But as for the inlet temperature, it works at much lower temperatures. I can't give you numbers because they're classified, but they are significantly lower than that.

#283477 Nerf, Nozzles, And Fluid Dynamics

Posted by imaseoulman on 19 August 2010 - 04:21 AM in Off Topic

Thanks, Doom. You hit what I was looking for. I was hoping somebody could run some simulations, or at the very least run some equations. I do partly disagree with your pressure vs. moving gas argument. I could have a misconception here, this isn't exactly my forte, but I can think of several actual examples where high velocities of a gas quickly accelerate objects while at low pressure. Also, in our applications, it's almost impossible to separate the two.

As for energy conservation, that is one concept I understand very well. At least once a week I use mechanical energy balance equations, focusing on the conversion of internal energy to kinetic energy (flow work to velocity or pressure to speed) and of "matter" into "energy."

I have assumed the effects would be negligible for a Nerf gun, but was just wondering if somebody with more knowledge and resources than I could make it work.

@TantumBull: No. Widening and straightening flowpaths decreases the conversion of kinetic energy to internal energy, but more importantly, it increases mass flow rate. The idea behind the 2K mods is to dump as much as air possible into the barrel before the dart leaves. That also kinda goes along with what Doom was saying.

And also, Doom, we usually don't refer to them as de Laval nozzles (though he did invent them), which I find kinda funny, because we do use DeLaval oil purifiers. Anyway, thanks for the input.

#283437 Nerf, Nozzles, And Fluid Dynamics

Posted by imaseoulman on 18 August 2010 - 05:09 PM in Off Topic

There's something to that, but air is used in these things all time. If you google search "air ejector" or "air ejector theory," there are plenty of examples of it. I don't know how efficient they are and, again, if it can be applied, but you certainly can accelerate air through a nozzle.

#283432 Nerf, Nozzles, And Fluid Dynamics

Posted by imaseoulman on 18 August 2010 - 04:48 PM in Off Topic

This is something I've wondered about for quite some time. Typically we only give thought to maximizing air flow, limiting dead space, and generally creating flow paths with the least resistance possible. What I wonder about is the possibility of using nozzles to increase the speed of the air entering and expanding in the barrel, thereby increasing acceleration of the dart. I don't have a very strong background in physics or engineering (I majored in psychology) but I have had classes on fluid dynamics and their applications.

In steam plants, we utilize "air ejectors" to help create a vacuum to which we exhaust steam after it leaves the turbine. The air ejectors "suck" air out of a system by accelerating steam through a nozzle to such a high speed that the pressure drops to a near perfect vacuum and through eduction and entrainment "pulls" the air out of the system it's attached to.

For those of you familiar with fluid dynamics, we know that mass flow rate = density * area * speed. So as the fluid enters the nozzle and it becomes more restrictive (the diameter goes down) the speed goes to maintain constant mass flow rate. The unique thing about nozzles is that after it reaches the critical pressure ratio in the throat (most restrictive part of convergent divergent nozzle) as the fluid expands again, it continues to accelerate, instead of slowing down again.

Here is a more detailed explanation with pressure-velocity and mollier diagrams.

So, for those of you with more understanding of physics and machining than I have, is there a way to incorporate this into Nerf applications? Could it allow shorter barrels due to increased acceleration? Is there any way to use the convergent divergent idea?

I put this in the off topic section because it's theory and not yet home made or general nerf. Thanks for any feedback.

#283005 Slambow Video

Posted by imaseoulman on 13 August 2010 - 07:35 AM in Homemades

Look, I realize there's a select group of nerfers that like to all hang out, have sleepovers in their Nerf PJs, talk about what they think vaginas might feel like, and defend each other viciously on the internet, but seriously, the MidWest (or wherever the fuck you guys live) gang bang gets old after a while.

Just because it matters to me, the reason I can make fun of Idaho is because I lived there for YEARS! I don't admit that very often, but nevertheless, it's true. I lived in southern Idaho. It's kinda like how we can call each other crackuh, but you can't call me that.

Also, beneath my avatar it says that I'm in NY. Underneath Split's, the two letters "NJ" appear.

As for "vicious defense," I simply find it greatly amusing how seriously you are taking this.

Pillow fight, anyone?

#282942 Slambow Video

Posted by imaseoulman on 12 August 2010 - 02:51 PM in Homemades

Seoully... lolwut?

Two days with no sleep, followed by Nyquil. That should explain it.

#282930 Slambow Video

Posted by imaseoulman on 12 August 2010 - 01:54 PM in Homemades

Also, for someone who makes simple homemade guns, which in the grand scheme of engineering and human development, is a pretty fucking insignificant achievement, you're kind of an egotistical douche. Come at me with that attitude when you cure cancer, bro....I live in North Idaho, can't be helped

1) I had cancer; Split cured me.
2) The only thing worse than southern Idaho is "North Idaho." That must be the 57th state Obama's always talking about.
3) In the grand scope of human development, what isn't insignificant?

Split, nice job. I'm still upset that right after I finally get a homemade, it's rendered obsolete within a couple months. I'm trying hard to impress "the man" so that I get selected for that teaching position. Then I can spend a couple more years here with a bit more free time and more opportunities to make you look bad. But seriously, that is a very cool idea with an awesome design and great execution.

Also, I demand a 1,000 word essay outlining the differences between and advantages of egotism and egoism. It may be a little pedantic of me to insist on proper usage of the two, but I'm a little pretentious by nature.

P.S. I have a great new idea for a scenario war. We can pretend my backyard is "North Idaho" (a splinter faction state of right wing extremist Zen-strategists who stockpile guns and hate logic) and we have to infiltrate their bunker before they force the civilian population to drink the Kool-aid.

#281756 Nj Apocalypse 2010

Posted by imaseoulman on 01 August 2010 - 10:55 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm most likely not going to make this. Unless I decide last minute to pull an all nighter, it's not happening.