AJAQ's Content

There have been 175 items by AJAQ (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#250480 Longshot Question

Posted by AJAQ on 14 September 2009 - 11:17 PM in Modifications

You might need to add a catch spring.

I can't remember which of the two the 49 is.

If you put it in, and you can still prime it with one hand, no, it doesn't.

If it is the other, you won't be able to prime it with only one hand and still have it hit the catch plate.

So no on the first, yes on the second.

#250179 Electronics Guide

Posted by AJAQ on 11 September 2009 - 11:59 PM in Modifications

Wait, if V=i*r, what happens if r=0?

Does i represent how many amps can pass, or how many are absorbed.

Things get hot, melt, and burn. As a general rule, as temperature increases, resistance increases.

Diodes are more difficult.

The best way to picture them is like a ~10 ohm resistor, and a 1.5 volt battery facing the opposite way of the battery.

I could bore just about anyone with the gruesome details of Diodes. (LEDs) Or FETs. or MOSs.
@_@

PS: Current cannot be absorbed.(Conservation. It can be temporally stored in inductors, but that isn't the point.)
Think of it as a measure of water movement in a pipe, where voltage is like having a motor to help push it.

#243634 Modifying A Longshot?

Posted by AJAQ on 24 July 2009 - 05:16 PM in Modifications

Hey.

I'm hoping to get another Longshot soon, and I have 2 questions about the bolt.

1 - What is the absolute best way to get the peg out of the gun without breaking that center bar that holds the dart? I'm thinking of seperating the orange part of the bolt and the black part that is inside of the plunger tube, but when I did that with my last Longshot, it shattered the black piece and fucked up my plunger. Is this the best way or should I try something else?

2 - Should I seal up that hole in the bolt?

And then, should I try putting a small strip of e-tape under the 2 o-rings on my plunger head to extend them out and increase the seal?

Thanks.

1. Based on the color, looks like a new gen. I have only handled one of these, but I went to drill out the back of it, and the black part separated from the orange bolt. That made it real easy to cut the peg down.
Make sure you don't destroy that piece with the "center bar" because it provides a good attachment area to put the bolt back together.

2. If you are talking about the abou 1/32nd inch wide hole in the top, yes.

#241788 Community-wide Mod Contest

Posted by AJAQ on 13 July 2009 - 08:03 PM in News

I've been working on mine for a bit now, but it is going to be tight for getting it done without trashing it.

*crosses fingers, picks knife back up*

#236235 If You Mod A Tek 10

Posted by AJAQ on 14 June 2009 - 03:43 PM in Modifications

That had to be alot of money in brass!

Yeah, like $10 in brass plus a spring, cable and cable couplers, buckets of hot glue, and about 2 weeks of trial and error.

However, this was a commission job for a co-worker and the two cases of Guinness MORE that made up for it :D ...and helped get through it.

Also, the guy who commissioned this got fired before I finished.

As a completely tasteless joke:

If I were running a company, and one of my employees commissioned work on one of these, I'd fire him too!

(Just a joke,obviously is isn't good someone lost a job)

#231756 Help! Painting Stefans

Posted by AJAQ on 21 May 2009 - 07:33 PM in Modifications

PETG CAN be bored out if your not boring it out to much.

No, it can't. There isn't anything to "Bored" out.

GITD paint is possible, but doesn't soak in well. Tried it once with the firefly. Not really suggested.

#230367 Longshot Bolt Issues

Posted by AJAQ on 15 May 2009 - 10:42 AM in Modifications

Make sure that:

The little nob on the back of the plunger housing is aligned in the circle on the shell. It appears you have it right, but that is the leading cause of these kinds of issues.

Make sure that the screws on the back of the plunger housing are in all the way.

Make sure the catch is pushed all the way against the right half the shell. otherwise, it will be harder to catch on the right side when you prime it.

#228829 Expanding Stefans

Posted by AJAQ on 07 May 2009 - 05:17 PM in Modifications

--Comprehensive Testing--

All I can say is that I'm surprised. For what it's worth, I'm using Home Depot quality Frost King 3/8" Foam Backer Rod, and a brass barrel that is very tight on the darts. I also notice that, from your picture, you appear to be using washer darts (which you said you were) as well as cut darts with holes melted in them as well. I tried a combination of both...it failed miserably. But perhaps your results are different. I don't have enough of an arsenal to do the sort of extensive testing that many of the members of this forum are no doubt able to do.

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work for you, though.

I have noticed a benefit to expanded back darts used with my PETG longshots. Roughly a 10%-15% difference in my experience.

#220415 Longshot Ranges From A Stock Breech?

Posted by AJAQ on 29 March 2009 - 02:32 AM in Modifications

The best hit I can get out of a longshot with the breech intact was 114' max. The highest gun average was 104'.

Note: I kept the stock assembly intact, but built it into a PETG Semi breach using foam, glue, and a bit of tweaking.

I have made 6 total of those variety.

That doesn't count. Even if the old breech is still intact, it isn't technically used.

Even though it doesn't count toward what I am asking, I would like for you to shed some light on what you did to get those ranges (a search yielded nothing, unless I missed it somehow). While I don't see 114' out of the realm of possibility, I don't believe it without some insane reinforcement, some very strong springs and of course some internal pictures and possibly a video. I have an LS/RFSG/BBB spring combo in my LS with an Angel breech, and it shoots 90'. If you don't want to post what you did, pm me with the info.

It more so lies in the seal of the dart and PETG barrel than in the spring power. I used a heat tempered Ace (I want to say it was a 49, but I did about 10 of them about a year ago, and haven't bought any of them recently).

It is fairly reasonable to prime and fire. I had started a writeup for it at the beginning of the year, but my hard drive crashed before I finished the project I was working on. (Yeah yeah, fake excuses, etc. I know. I'll get something up... eventually. Until then, feel free to fly the bull shit flag to your heart's content.)

It operates by feeding the darts directly into the 12' PETG barrel. Then, using foam and a bit of glue, providing a near airtight seal. Someone did a similar project about a year ago or so.

As for wear and tear, the two I sent over to the Philippines are still completely functional, even nearly two years out. I believe I got sent back a range of 94' still on the first pair I sold to a gentleman on duty in the isles.

He did mention that the first gun is developing a crack in the loading part of the barrel from the impacts of the bolt over time.

#220350 Longshot Ranges From A Stock Breech?

Posted by AJAQ on 28 March 2009 - 08:12 PM in Modifications

So far, I am seeing what I expected. Thanks for everyone so far who posted good information.

Nerfnut23, I too encourage you too somehow prove that you're not full of it, but I very, very highly doubt what you've said. Not just the ranges, but I am pretty sure that there is no way that you can shove three nearly identically sized springs into one gun and make it work. I have never seen an AR-15 in person, but the pics make it look similar in size to a BBB spring, and the BBB spring and +bow springs are really close in size. The +bow = 0.844" OD while the BBB = 0.906" OD which makes them less than 1/16" different in OD.

EDIT in response to BD's post: You're one of the people that I hoped would post because I didn't believe what you said before. While I find 80' questionable, it is fairly believable with streamline darts because of their terrible inconsistency. I have also wondered about a straw mod on the LS, but never thought too much into it. Even if the 80' isn't at all exaggerated, it still proves my point.

The best hit I can get out of a longshot with the breech intact was 114' max. The highest gun average was 104'.

Note: I kept the stock assembly intact, but built it into a PETG Semi breach using foam, glue, and a bit of tweaking.

I have made 6 total of those variety.

#214510 Modification Services

Posted by AJAQ on 23 February 2009 - 07:54 PM in Modifications

Awesome! I love when people actually change things based on the feedback people provide them with. Keep it up!

But... prices are still high. Lemme give you some examples. Roulette mod shouldn't really be over a dollar. However, the price for the drop clip is good, but should be separate from the roulette mod. They are very different. Okay, next. 2 bucks for putting a bead of hot glue onto a MS piston is ridiculously high. That should honestly be under a quarter or free. Oh and 50 bucks for a singling a magstrike is way high. Also, lower the Mav AR removal prices.

Just to help out your buisness, I have another suggestion. First start offering to do mods for friends (no labor costs, just materials, no need to cheat friends out of money). Build up from there. They might tell their friends. You may also want to start out with lower prices if your selling to the NIC, as I've mentioned. I say this because, you aren't going to want and try and compete financially with other modders who do occasional commision works such as Angel, CS, or Split. Your not going to be able to. What you can do is try to get buisness by offering prices way lower than theirs. Basically what I'm saying is, people want their guns modded by people of high status. This is why people like ice can sell for ridiculous amounts. I know for a fact I'm just as good a modder as ice, yet there is no way in hell I could sell a longshot for 500.

Just some stuff to consider. Also, none of this is meant to be offensive, I'm just trying to help out.

You are assessing it on a materials base, as opposed to a time basis.

#207507 Super Cheap And Easy Streamline Dart Mod

Posted by AJAQ on 28 January 2009 - 11:31 PM in Modifications

Am I really the only person here who thought to make a small insision(spelling) next to the whole on the head of dart? All you need to do is take a small pair of scissors and cut a small line to the left/right of the whole and then take some tweezers with which to hold the hole open, and just put the metal bb/fishing weight (whatever is available to you) into the whole. Now I know about our strict safety guidelines hear on The Haven and completely understand that these darts may not fulfill those needs. If so, just take your hot glue gun and fill the head up with hot glue.

By the time we're done wasting time doing that, we could've just cut the tip off and put on some hot glue... The thing that makes this mod so easy is that you don't have to cut or glue anything, just stuff some BB's in the tips.

Filling the tips with quick foam works out well performance wise, if you can get the stuff in there.

#200419 Less Than Satisfactory Maverick

Posted by AJAQ on 02 January 2009 - 01:06 AM in Modifications

Absolutely.

There has to be a clean seal between the orange used-to-be-AR plates, and the barrels.

Otherwise, there won't be any air pressure.

The hotglue on top of the plates is preventing all of them from being completely sealed.

Test: plug one end with your finger, and blow in the other side. If you hear it escaping somewhere else, you didn't make a good connection.

PS: Yes I am aware, that sounds dirty to some minds. *shrugs*

#199238 Modifying A Longshot?

Posted by AJAQ on 27 December 2008 - 05:01 PM in Modifications

I am planning on doing a PETG barrel/stock breech thingy, and a larger spring was in order. However, I have no access to sheet metal for reinforcements, so I was looking for a spring that won't "Skullfuck the shit" out of my gun. I currently have the stock spring and a spring from my basement that looks like a slightly beefier nf spring. Any ideas?

Flip through the topic for spring suggestions.

Personally, I use ones from ace. (#49? Been awhile)

#195191 Clear Maverick Mod

Posted by AJAQ on 10 December 2008 - 02:47 PM in Modifications

Beautiful.

I just got a set of 500 red Directional LEDs this week, so if I can find one of these, this is certainly on my list of things to do with 'em.

As for the circuit, it does appear that those would heat up. I'll look into the circuit and see about a solution.

I would think a low ohm resistor would do the trick in parallel.

I'll check numbers later, but something like this:

Posted Image

PS: If anyone wants any LEDs, a friend has directional red 5mm 3v LEDs for 25$ per 1000ct.

#194558 Maverick / Titan Integration

Posted by AJAQ on 07 December 2008 - 01:50 PM in Modifications

That is pretty beautiful. No, really.

#193081 Modifying A Longshot?

Posted by AJAQ on 30 November 2008 - 05:54 PM in Modifications

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=7527

Click the first mod guide. You are asking in the topic that has EVERYTHING :D...

#187811 Paint; I don't know anything.

Posted by AJAQ on 06 November 2008 - 09:41 AM in Modifications

I disagree, this is a stupid question. If you would read the label on the can, it will tell you what to do. Which is.......read the label. Crazy the things you would find out if you would just read!

Grow up.

But yes, you should let it dry. Otherwise, the primer would be built into the can of paint you wanted to use. (if they could be mixed wet)

#184743 Modifying A Longshot?

Posted by AJAQ on 21 October 2008 - 12:53 PM in Modifications

I'm adding aluminum to the back of the catch and adding three strong springs on the top. I want my LS to last forever. My official spring choice is BBB+LS. I used 1.5 #49 to replace the bbb.

What type of glue is best for a front integration? And is there anyway I can add metal reinforcement to the integration?

Most people have success with Epoxy/plumbers goop.

Mainly, you need something to attach it, and then filler to make it even.

You can "bolt" the integration on if you wanted to. Something like metal clips would work. A bit unnecessary though.

#184495 Modifying A Longshot?

Posted by AJAQ on 19 October 2008 - 10:42 AM in Modifications

And why the hell did you just re-post the entire first post?

I've angeled my longshot, and added an NF spring. I now have collapsing stock syndrome. Has anyone figured out a way to fix this while keeping a collapsable stock? If not, I'll start getting to work on it.

Just put a stronger spring under the little cover where the original spring went. Can anyone answer my previous question?

For a purely stock setup, yes. It will eventually slide out of the catch.

Mildly annoying.

You will likely have to add a spring if you do 1.5 49s.

#182341 Modifying A Longshot?

Posted by AJAQ on 08 October 2008 - 12:50 AM in Modifications

Thanks, one more question though. Can I add another .5 #49 to the combo so it doesnt rattle around?

No. It won't compress all the way then.

69s you'll need to beef up the catch.

49+LS spring work just fine, and is easy to prime.

#181852 Does Anyone Do Modding Services?

Posted by AJAQ on 05 October 2008 - 09:13 PM in Modifications

I occasionally do some longshots.

#181029 Favorite Primary / Main?

Posted by AJAQ on 02 October 2008 - 03:21 PM in Modifications

I don't do much in wars, but my favorite so far that I have done is the Longshot PETG-SemiBreech.

#180597 Simple Titan Dtg Integration

Posted by AJAQ on 30 September 2008 - 10:09 AM in Modifications

Not a reason why it wouldn't work.

PS: This site isn't normally friendly to "theoretical" designs. Just a heads up.

#179942 What's Wrong With My Longshot?

Posted by AJAQ on 27 September 2008 - 12:13 PM in Modifications

AJAQ: if you've read the whole topic you'll realize I've tried that in all directions. I told you, that the outer ring has come off completely, and thats the part that receives all the stress and actually pushes back the plunger?!

If you are talking the piece that attaches to the bolt backing by 3 evenly spaced plastic fins:

That isn't causing it. I have removed that part in several of mine. It should still make contact with the edges of the bolt backing to push it back.

I would advise finding some craft foam to help pad the head though, especially since without that piece, you put a higher impact energy on the edge.

#179934 What's Wrong With My Longshot?

Posted by AJAQ on 27 September 2008 - 11:50 AM in Modifications

Um your plunger tube is laying on its side. i had the same problem. turn the plunger tube so that those 2 lines are on the 2 little wheels.

Daecu is correct.

That nob that is circled needs to go straight down. you will note a small circle on the inside of that shell. It has to go in there.

(rotate the plunger housing by about 130 degrees towards you.)

That IS the issue. I have done it countless times.

#179711 Longshot 2k

Posted by AJAQ on 26 September 2008 - 10:05 AM in Modifications

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=7002

carrtoon

There's quite a few others as well. I guess I should apologize, if someone wants to take their gun and hinder it's capabilities for no reasonable or logical reason, I guess I can't stop them.

No logical reason? Wow. You are truly ridiculous.

I improved my ranges by 30' after singling, so maybe something was thrown from that one example.

Even if you think that removing the air restrictors gives the same amount of power as a singled Longshot, that still doesn't give you the right to bitch about other people modifying their own blasters. I don't like the Longshot clip system, so I will single EVERY SINGLE Longshot I own until I try an Angel Breech.

You don't have to breech or single it to get 90+. A semi-breech will work for 90.

You can do what you want, by no means do I really care; but 90 IS doable without either of those.

#179585 Food For Thought...

Posted by AJAQ on 25 September 2008 - 06:10 PM in Modifications

I think they did some pirates of the Caribbean themed stuff awhile ago.

**shrugs**

Otherwise, you are looking at some decent cosmetic work.

Or, you could do some blowgun stuff. Same time period, different part of the world.

#177025 Minor Request

Posted by AJAQ on 13 September 2008 - 01:57 AM in Modifications

The high school I attended just got one I think...

#176668 The New Hereti Corp. Assault Rifle

Posted by AJAQ on 11 September 2008 - 06:27 PM in Modifications

You are not going to get 120' out of a longshot.

Based upon my experience, I don't think that is true.

Using a #49, and a PETG Transition, I have hit 108. (MAX Level)

If I were to qo with a more ridiculous catch, and spring, 120 isn't so far fetched to hit.

Accuracy is the main concern out there.

That is a beautiful paintjob, by the way.

I did a similar pattern in Black and silver, but then tried to put a clear gloss enamel over the top, and it dulled both colors.

I was quite disappointed.

Also, the pin placement is a good idea.

Someone should look into crafting one that goes through that pin, as well as the normal back priming hole.

#176381 Modifying A Longshot?

Posted by AJAQ on 10 September 2008 - 11:06 AM in Modifications

Would I need to reinforce my longshot if I was to add a ace 49 to it along with the original spring? I didn't see anything about it in here. Actually I need to find out if it is a 49.

I know this was from June, but it is an interesting point, and thus I will address it:

No, #49 Springs work wonderfully. Even if you heat temper them stretched(It is 80% successful, in my results), it is still moderately easy to hold with the current setup.

I have done 8-12 different longshots with 49s, and have never heard or seen of any of them snapping.

The spring alone won't get you 100 feet like some do, but the gun will certainly last a whole hell of a lot longer.

now, a 52 damn well WILL need re-enforced.

#176377 Arrowstorm Modification

Posted by AJAQ on 10 September 2008 - 10:57 AM in Modifications

This mod also does well with triple loaded darts as a shotgun as well.

5 darts a barrel is a bit too much though... **sigh**

I did the barrel portion of this awhile back on mine.

Not a perfect gun, but REALLY fun to use.

I actually was using swappable PETG loaded with darts.

You just seal up the back of the turret to the width of the PETG, and then when you swap em out, you push them all the way back.

Foam in the back makes for a great temp seal as well.

#175845 Foamslinger

Posted by AJAQ on 07 September 2008 - 11:15 PM in Modifications

Out of curiosity, how did you find this thread? My sig? Because this'll be the second time somebody has necroed a thread from my sig.

Yeah, that'd be it.

Well, I did it to you at the Spring DCNO last year and got you with 7 darts while you did a backwards somersault and almost lost your pants.

It would really depend on the kind of field you are playing on. But the range and reliability of a Tommy 20 are so abysmal that I really can't imagine a scenario where it is particularly useful. I have never been shot by one, but I lost count of how many times one was pointed at me, failed to fire, or failed to shoot the darts far enough to hit me.

I vaguely remember that, hence why I said rarely and not never :D.

I was not aware that the Tommy 20 was that unreliable as far as failing to fire.

Perhaps the concept could be better executed with an RF20, then? Don't think I've ever seen that.

A RF20 would make the gun abysmally front heavy.

Damn near impossible to use. I sized it up, and dropped it like a bad habit.

And the T20 is loud as hell and only fires certain size head darts. It's picky.

#175124 Ls Longer Barrel Mod

Posted by AJAQ on 05 September 2008 - 11:22 AM in Modifications

There is a way to replace it without breeching, but I haven't written it up yet. Essentially, you just replace then entire barrel with the material of your choice. I believe someone has done something close with CPVC before.

Catch is the outer diameter has to be relatively small to work.

I have it working with PETG.

But it isn't **quite** a simple task.

#174178 Dart Tag Blaster Help

Posted by AJAQ on 01 September 2008 - 01:26 PM in Modifications

Really? Hmmm, okay then. I figured there would be enough air coming out for the larger barrels. Any other suggestions from anybody else before i cut them?

Rotating barrel guns I have noticed in my experience that they don't handle long barrels well.

Likely it is the duration of the air "burst".

The leakage around the barrels is an easier path than to push the dart through the barrel.

I had the same thing happen with a maveric mod with PETG that I did.

Just not enough duration for a reliable replacement.

#174176 Rapid Fire 20 Death Skull Mod Video

Posted by AJAQ on 01 September 2008 - 01:23 PM in Modifications

Seems like it is only two of us bidding on it...

#172674 Ls Blow Gun

Posted by AJAQ on 26 August 2008 - 08:07 PM in Modifications

Interesting idea. However, a better alternative (in my opinion) would be to get a piece of 1/2" ID PVC pipe, about 3 feet or so long, and use taggers with that. Just an idea; it would shoot much further.

You don't need any more than 9 to 12 inches of your typically effective barrel material. There's absolutely no reason to use anything so horrendously long considering the size of the projectile.

Well, considering real blowguns are a few feet long, I could see why someone would want to use a longer barrel.

My question: why the hell a nerf blowgun? The weight of the projectile makes the rage incredibly short compared to a normal blaster. And if you want to carry around a long piece of tubing and get your self winded from trying to get off a few shots while running around, be my guest. I just find it a bad idea.

Not really. I can hit 45 feet with a thing of PETG and FBR darts. It really isn't that hard.

I don't suggest it over a gun either, but it DOES actually work,

Unless... You just suck at blowing.... :lol:

#171147 Ls Front Gun Mod

Posted by AJAQ on 20 August 2008 - 10:54 PM in Modifications

You might have an issue with longevity.

And by the looks of it, that is one heavy trigger.

Otherwise, not bad. ;)

#170798 Front Integration Mod

Posted by AJAQ on 19 August 2008 - 10:33 PM in Modifications

I've done many mods for my longshot such as added spring, added O ring, and removed the air restricter. What other mods are there? I am thinking about doing a front integration mod but dont know what is the best kind of string to use. Should I use a coat hanger instead of a string?

Thanks ^_^

I've never been a fan of the double trigger/ string method.

I have always maintained an independent trigger for it.

I believe some have used fishing wire, or low gauge wire.

#170604 Nerf Dart Tag Blaster + Buzz Bee Big Blast Integration Guide - Picture

Posted by AJAQ on 19 August 2008 - 12:14 PM in Modifications

Definitely more you can get out of that setup.

I normally get 40 from my AR+Spring Dart tag anyway, and ROF is much higher.

Keep on it. :blink:

Also: Note-
When I tried PETG'ing a maverick a few months ago, the range decreased significantly.

I speculate that is because the path of least resistance is actually out the sides of the turret, as opposed to pushing out the dart.

Hence the lack luster performance.

Seal issue in all likeliness.