cappold's Content

There have been 17 items by cappold (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#149448 Michigan Roll Call (now With Possible Location Map)

Posted by cappold on 05 April 2008 - 09:23 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm from the Bay area and would like to attend a war sometime. That being said, my Job is only a summer thing so I'd probably be out. I can pread the word around here though to see if anyone is interested.

#147700 Possible Nerf Web Store

Posted by cappold on 29 March 2008 - 08:24 AM in General Nerf

I'm right with CS. Why would any of us want to pay a middle man for deals that we can do on here for free?

There are already enough sites out there thatare dieing to get their hands on a little bit of all of our sales.

eBay @ ~ 8.75% plus Listing fees.

Paypal 3% + $0.3.

Amazon ~ 12%.

Nerfhaven with MO or Cashier's Check - FREE!!!

#141447 Pop Point Integrations

Posted by cappold on 19 February 2008 - 11:44 PM in Modifications

I think that he just attached the manta ray to show his pop points. He even said that it was impractical and would ever be used. Give the guy a break. He came up with something original, isn't that enough? Seems like a lot of people are here to bash his idea when they haven't come up with anything on their own. I personally like the idea of the pop points and plan on trying a few out on my guns. Well done.

#132277 Homemade Whiteboard

Posted by cappold on 13 December 2007 - 10:03 AM in Off Topic

I did this about 5 years back but glued the sheets to a sheet of 3/4" plywood. I cut a 2'x6' section out of the bottom center of the the plywood before glue-ing and add some hinges so that it would stand on it's own. Then I added a bit of trim around each edge to pretty them up a bit. I use them as signs in my businesses to display daily specials or whatever community event is going on.

#131756 No More Recon?

Posted by cappold on 09 December 2007 - 09:06 AM in General Nerf

They just probally arnt taking any more preorders. Anyone know if the recon actually comes out on the 15th?

I pre-ordered a few and Amazon says that it is to be in stock by the 19th and arrive by the 27th. If they really are out of stock already, I may be willing to part with one or two.

#123314 Question

Posted by cappold on 17 September 2007 - 02:20 PM in General Nerf

Just to settle the Duck vs Duct Tape arguement:

Dear Duct Tape Users:

Is it Duct or Duck? We don’t want you to be confused, so we will explain. The first name for Duct Tape was DUCK. During World War II the U.S. Military needed a waterproof tape to keep the moisture out of ammunition cases. So, they enlisted the Johnson and Johnson Permacel Division to manufacture the tape. Because it was waterproof, everyone referred to it as “duck” tape (like water off a duck’s back). Military personnel discovered that the tape was good for lots more than keeping out water. They used it for Jeep repair, fixing stuff on their guns, strapping equipment to their clothing... the list is endless.

After the War, the housing industry was booming and someone discovered that the tape was great for joining the heating and air conditioning duct work. So, the color was changed from army green to the silvery color we are familiar with today and people started to refer to it as “duct tape*.” Therefore, either name is appropriate.

Today, Duck® brand Tape is manufactured by Henkel Consumer Adhesives. After thoroughly familiarizing ourselves with the hundreds of duct tapes on the market, we have found Duck® brand Tape to be the most consistent in quality. And, we are delighted with the large array of colors that they manufacture (including camo tape and new “X-Treme Tape” which comes in hot day-glo colors).

Jim and I do lots of appearances promoting Duck® brand Tape and do so without reservation. Therefore, we go by both The Duct Tape Guys, and The Duck Tape Guys. And, we use the words Duck and Duct interchangeably throughout our web site.

So, whether you call it Duct Tape or Duck Tape... you are still using the “Ultimate Power Tool” in our estimation.

--- Jim and Tim, the Duck/Duct Tape Guys

#118550 Hockey

Posted by cappold on 06 August 2007 - 09:12 PM in Off Topic

I'm a geezer playing the beer leagues. Play for two teams, one in 'A' league in Saginaw, and a 'B' league team in Bay City. I play where ever they will let me in the 'A' league and center in the 'B' league. Been playing street hockey and pond puck since I was a little kid. I started playing organized ice hockey at 17, when I was finally making enough money to pay for it. Ice time is expensive here.

I tried out for the Sarnia Sting of the OHL before the 2001 season and skated a few exhibtion games before being cut. Was the last cut after scoring 2 goals and 3 assists in the 4 games. Finished a 4GP, 2G, 3A, 5P, +2, 2 hits, with an average of 14:25 TOI. Was never offically on the team but that was my highlight of my hockey career.

#116866 Pump Shotgun Seal Problem

Posted by cappold on 22 July 2007 - 11:37 PM in General Nerf

I don't think a check valve would work, being that the air getting sucked down the barrel is going to have to come out of the same barrel. Check valves only let air go in one direction. Unless you are getting your air form another source you'll be in trouble. From the question, sounds like that is how the gun is getting air behind the dart.

#116487 Lol

Posted by cappold on 19 July 2007 - 11:42 PM in General Nerf

Does the skeet launcher come with it? Are the foam frisbees comparable in size to real clay pigeons? about 110mm diameter?

I wish, but the disks are solid foam, with a sticker on each side. They do seem quite durable though.

http://www.walmart.c...duct_id=5765483

Side Note: Not to be an ass, but I get paid for using walmart.com. I'd hook you up for free if you PM me so you can get paid too.

#116317 Laser Tek Dart Basters

Posted by cappold on 18 July 2007 - 12:04 PM in Modifications

Thanks Angel. I'm honored.

#116236 Laser Tek Dart Basters

Posted by cappold on 17 July 2007 - 09:42 PM in Modifications

Responses:

lionhead333: A clip is in the works. I'm struggling a bit to find the right spring for the job. My darts either get flattened or don't make it to the barrel.

Vintage: Handles a really uncomfortable. The are short and the black ridges are raised quite a bit. Let's just say that they CHEAP. I got the pair for $0.50. Mind you I bought another item that got me a dollar off of my next purchase. $0.75 a piece is still pretty good. Thanks for the compliment on the paint job. It was my first so it's a bit sloppy.

yourface: Thanks for the info on the Maxshot. Is there any point to the racheting system?

Retiate: I thought of chopping the bottom like that but it the only weight in the gun. Without it there it would be very light. The blue on the top is the cocking mechanism. Without I would have to cock it like a stock LS or would have to expand it out of the back like a NF. I am trying to find a few ways on making it smaller and cleaner. A paint job is coming. I like to paint multiple parts at the same time, being that everything gets the same color scheme. They are just waiting for the next batch.

#116161 Laser Tek Dart Basters

Posted by cappold on 17 July 2007 - 01:07 PM in Modifications

At the local 'junk for a buck store' that I frequent, I found these. Buzz Bees verision of the NiteFinder.

Posted Image

I passed them over on several trips, and it seemed like everytime I did, the price dropped. It wasn't until I got a deal that I couldn't refuse on them, that I bought two. I got them home and started into them. Straight out of the box, they amazed me. After all, I was expecting much. They averaged almost 25'. I shot each of the five darts that came with them.

Gun 1 - Ranges
1 - 16' (Possibly misloaded)
2 - 32'
3 - 26'
4 - 21'
5 - 23'

Gun 2 - Ranges
1 - 22'
2 - 21'
3 - 33'
4 - 27'
5 - 23'

I started removing screws to get to work. Don't forget the two under the batteries.

Posted Image

The front of the light is glued on and the soft plastic shell was not going to allow me to pry it off. I cut it to get through it thinking that I might repair it so that the light functions, but the light sucks, so I just got rid of it. The light in these makes the NF light look like a 10,000 candle spot light.

Posted Image

Here's the internals. I took out the wiring, the light and the battery compartment.

Posted Image

An exploded view of the plunge assembly.

Posted Image

The only unique thing about the gun is the rachetting catch on the plunger. I'm not sure why it's there or any reason that it would ever be used but you can shoot at different power levels. That and it comes with glow-in-the-dark darts.

Posted Image

I cut off the end of the AR and peg. The picture doesn't show the final cut. After making the first cut I made another flush against the plunger tube.

Posted Image

Glue the CPVC to the end of the plunger and add the coupler.

Posted Image

Other improvments that I did, but didn't take pictures of:
  • I added a stronger spring that I got from an auto junk dealer. The same spring that I used in my NF.
  • Turned the battery compartment into ammo holders to hold my single shot shells.
  • e-taped the plunger head.
It's still waiting for a paint job. Here's a size comparision to a NF and my 8 shot quick loader. I use those quick loaders on most of my guns and carry four during a war.

Posted Image

I tested ranges against my NF. The NF has basically the same mods done to it.

Gun 1 - Stefans - 58' Stock - 49' Highest - 61'
Gun 2 - Stefans - 62' Stock - 51' Highest - 69'
NF - Stefans - 63' Stock - 50' Highest - 67'

The same 5 darts were shot from all three guns and took the averages.

I did a very basic mod to this gun and have been very impressed with it. It's a bid more awkward than my NF and the shell is incredibly soft. Scale of 1-10. I'd give it a 7.5 and my NF a 8. NF gets the edge because of comfort. For the price, I could not have been happier with these.

Questions, comments, even flames appreciated. My first write-up so I expect there to be some mistakes.

#113981 Maverick Mod

Posted by cappold on 01 July 2007 - 08:06 AM in Modifications

Thanks for all of the help.

I wasn't expecting this gun to fire anything and if it did, I figured it would be pretty awful. What I would like to try is to do this mod in reverse. Normally, nerf mods are taking the fancy finished toy and making it function better. This is generally at the cost of appearance.

No offence to anyone. Most of us are not that artistic, lazy, or just don't care what it looks like as long as it shots straight and hard. I know that plenty of people do full paint jobs and make their stuff look much better than what nerf handed us, but I still see a TON of e-tape on guns. I want to try to do the opposite; the shell has to be cool before the gun works. Then I will try to jam the function into the form. Gently...

I know that's backwards, but it's a challenge that I haven't taking on yet.

#113960 Maverick Mod

Posted by cappold on 01 July 2007 - 12:35 AM in Modifications

Posted Image

Can anyonegive me a little more info on this mod? I'd like to know if there is a write up out there, what other part are included in this mod, any links, and who deserves the pat on the back. I was looking to do something a bit similar but would like to gather as much info as possible first. I tired the search and failed miserably. Any help would be appreciated.

-C

#108423 Beginning A Homemade

Posted by cappold on 30 May 2007 - 07:34 PM in Homemades

I agree with Carbon. The major problem with two plungers leading to one barrel is timing. If the timing is not exactly perfect you will get turbalance (sp?) in the air behind the dart. I do not know the proper physics of it all, but what happens is the air from the barrel that arrives first will go to the dart and down the opposite plunger. This will work less than having it hooked up to only the first plunger. When the second plunger does hit, the dart will be gone and the extra power will be wasted. Even if the timing is off only a few fractions of a second, this will happen. Hopefully someone who is smarter than me can give you the proper lingo for what would be happening in this sceniaro.

Posted Image

This is sloppy at best but might help illustrate what I'm saying.

#108013 Idea For The Longshot

Posted by cappold on 28 May 2007 - 06:58 PM in Modifications

CS,

Did you already make any of the shotgun grips that work with the front gun mod? I might be interested in one if you had them laying around.

#107403 New Phone

Posted by cappold on 24 May 2007 - 11:11 AM in Off Topic

I sell phones and the RIZR is very popular. Not nearly as popular as the RAZR, but close.

The Samsung is a good qualitity phone. More durable than the RIZR or RAZR.

What your choice really comes down to here is which do you prefer: Durability or Fashion? The RIZR is pretty but is not really built for a lot of abuse or to last terribly long. The Samsung is by far more durable but lacks the style and status of the RIZR. If you want some more details on each, I'll happily help you out.