Crankymonky's Content

There have been 626 items by Crankymonky (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#331793 DCNF7

Posted by Crankymonky on 11 July 2013 - 03:51 PM in Nerf Wars

I might be able to bring "assorted slugs," to sell at low prices, since they are not standardized and likely old.

I'll see what I have in my apartment.

#331152 DCNF7

Posted by Crankymonky on 22 June 2013 - 11:27 PM in Nerf Wars

I will be in attendance.

#319994 Creating a NIC Biography

Posted by Crankymonky on 05 August 2012 - 09:57 PM in Off Topic

If you did want to do this, you will need to be careful to get accurately portray the development of the different nerf hotspots. It was mentioned that the South East is has exploded into a nerfing hotspot, but this is hardly new, the Random Encounter clan (of Alabama) had a forum presence in 2003.

Also, how nerf scenes develop is likely influenced by surrounding areas and certain individuals. For example, DC nerf as the NIC knows it only began after our interaction with other nerfers at the first ECNO (in Delaware). It originally became popular due to a large number of people and has since been "reborn" by a new group of individuals.

To accurately create a history/biography, you will have to talk to many first hand sources, not relying solely on what is documented on the forums or what a single individual says.

Some topics that I would discuss are:

• The Nerf Listserv
  • Nerf Online
  • NerfCenter
  • NerfHQ
  • NerfHaven
  • The LaMarios
  • Other websites that I'm not mentioning
  • The Four Horsemen, LCM, LGLF, countless other clans
  • The development of Nerfing locations (SoCal, NJ, Alabama, DC, Ohio, many other locations)
  • The development of nerf modding

Some resources you will find valuable will be the nerf wiki, which was originally hosted at NerfHQ and is still available here. It was then moved to ProjectNerf, available here. Additionally, TheGrinch's old website NerfWorld contains one of the best directories of older nerf websites. In my opinion, the most important ones that many people were not around for are The LaMario's, Yakman's site, Webbzter's site. There are also many clan sites linked as well as many of the older nerfer's websites. NerfWorld also has links to several Wayback Machine editions of websites that are no longer available, as well as some of the original Nerfaholics comics.

If you did take up this project, I would urge you to get perspective from many of the nerfers who have been around a while in order to break things up into "eras" and see what they consider significant. They also may have contact with other, now absent, nerfers.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what route you take.

#318335 DCNF#6

Posted by Crankymonky on 11 July 2012 - 08:24 PM in Nerf Wars

Unfortunately, can't make this one. Hope you guys have a blast and the park is as awesome as it was last time!

#316311 Cataclysm 3 - Chicagoland War

Posted by Crankymonky on 30 May 2012 - 12:59 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm 33.

You're number 23, don't worry, you were identified.

Got back to DC this evening, I had a great time at the war, thanks so much for putting together the war Cheerios, Ice9, Ryan, Kane, and Zorn. It was great to meet all the midwest Nerfers. It was absolutely great to finally meet Carbon, Ice9, and Venom and I had a blast hanging out with everyone. Cheerios, it was great to meet you and some of your family. I'd like to thank your family for organizing lunch, it ensured that we minimized lost time from lunch.

I really liked the objective based gameplay and look forward to incorporating it in a larger scale here in Washington DC. It was also a ton of fun to use a shield.

I hope everyone enjoyed nerfing with the LGLF, I know we loved coming out to the midwest.

Total Distance traveled: 2142 miles.

#312053 Game Types and Rules for Nerf Wars

Posted by Crankymonky on 28 February 2012 - 06:33 PM in General Nerf

I didn't see any Canadians post these so here goes:

Headhunters
-Can be free for all, team death match, or wingman but only head shots count.

Civil War
- Two opposing teams line up and take potshots at each other in a given order, normally one side, then the other.

Feel free to correct me.

I didn't think I'd ever say it, but there is a game type I am more opposed to than Civil War.

(I still love you, Canadians)

#311319 DCNF 3

Posted by Crankymonky on 16 February 2012 - 04:09 PM in Nerf Wars

Get me on that definite list!

#310910 Dc/Bmore indoor nerfing

Posted by Crankymonky on 08 February 2012 - 12:30 PM in Nerf Wars

My primary concern is - would slug darts dent (or mark) dry-wall? That would be a problem.

Would depend on the blaster, I'll make sure to have something appropriate when you're next nerfing.

#310909 DCNF 3

Posted by Crankymonky on 08 February 2012 - 12:28 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm flexible on location, will likely be there regardless of location.

But on a side note, In my opinion, we should keep DC war's to a single name. If for no other purpose than having the nerf war with the longest roman numeral after it!

#309563 DMV Comrades: It's time to end this hibernation

Posted by Crankymonky on 15 January 2012 - 08:26 PM in Nerf Wars

Sounds great, would love to get DC back to the dominant Nerf scene it has been. I'd love to get something going soon, whether that means January or February. I know Jlego might be coming in town in February, when I have some dates and schedule from him, I'll see if we can get something going for him.

Doom, That spot looks like a nice change to DC's traditional school yard "urban" area. The sooner the better.

#309560 Dc/Bmore indoor nerfing

Posted by Crankymonky on 15 January 2012 - 08:18 PM in Nerf Wars

Hey guys,

Haven't seen this thread until now. Longtime nerfer and always looking to find like-minded individuals.

I know you guys aren't using guns that draw blood, but what kind of darts do you use? Are slugs okay?

My Aliens knowledge may be subpar, but you'll have to take that chance.

The next war you guys have, do tell me.

#304749 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by Crankymonky on 16 September 2011 - 10:26 AM in Nerf Wars

It's at Fleming, right?

I'm pretty sure I can find a tarp to bring.

#303101 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by Crankymonky on 09 August 2011 - 10:54 AM in Nerf Wars

I'll see everyone on the 17th

#303045 Apocalypse 2011 recap thread

Posted by Crankymonky on 08 August 2011 - 07:14 PM in Nerf Wars

What better way to fully re-submerge myself in Nerf than what I'm sure was one of the best Apocs yet. When deciding between Apoc '011 and Busty Girls, I'm glad that the Sex Dwarves chose a new calendar system. It was great to see everyone again and meet a few of the new faces. I'd like to have met a few more of the newer members, but unfortunately any attempts to do so were met with blank stares and the inability to properly introduce oneself. One highlight of my day was how reliably my guns broke, in much the same way they have for the past 8 years. Having my SNAP break after two shots was definitely worth the laugh.

For those of you who are "new" to nerf, let me assure you that you were nerfing with a legend. Skin tight under armor, chest hair that'll make you reconsider your testosterone levels, a Pump Action Shotgun that Ice9 can't prime. These are merely a few things that make me a god among men. But enough about me, let's get back to the war.

I really enjoyed the carpe rounds and hope to do some at future DCNOs. The dart restrictions and prevalence of hoppers has given me a few ideas on possible structured game types that I also hope to try.

Trash talk that makes people surrender, striking good looks, a DiscusFinder with ranges well beyond those of a +bow are a few other reasons Crankymonky's immortality has been solidified.

My first carpe round was one that would lead to my demise. After defeating the Chicagoan filled team with a shut out, they were left humiliated. Even with Jlego's assistance, Chicago lacked the endurance, speed, and tactical mind needed to compete. It was then that they decided they could not lose in such a manner in the clan round. Thinking back to the Stant's 1994 attack on US Gold Medalist Nancy Kerrigan, Chicago realized what they had to do.

A true Saving Private Ryan moment during the clan round. Sprinting towards a dwarf in pursuit, Crankymonky darts from the grove in chase. Meanwhile, Jlego sees a Canadian to his right and begins to run and gun. When both are at speeds that would outrun darts, they collide. Crankymonky, flipping in a barrel roll motion, loses his footing and crashes into the ground. The impact sent his weapons flying and left him unable to stand. Langley and Gears keep the enemies at bay while the rest of the LGLF check on Crankymonky. As his team gathers around him, he yells, "Keep fighting! Don't let them get you!"

However, all was forgiven when the LGLF and Chicago joined forces to have the greatest after party known to the NIC. I unfortunately am not at liberty to discuss the events, but Ice9 has given the NIC a peak into the debauched lives of these great nerfers.

K10, the challenge is here. I expect you to attempt to rebut, but have no delusions of success on your part. Do you think you can do a war recap in full sentences?

#302980 New Nerf Guns

Posted by Crankymonky on 07 August 2011 - 11:44 PM in News

Pricing information for these blasters and other upcoming releases, according to K-mart. I cannot say that all stores will have these prices, but they do differ slightly from the MSRPs previously mentioned.

N-Strike Reflex $5.99
Vortex Nitron $49.99
Vortex Vigilon $17.99
Vortex Proton $12.99
Nerf scout 2 pack $19.99

#302164 DCNF #1- Now Recapping!

Posted by Crankymonky on 24 July 2011 - 11:28 AM in Nerf Wars

War was definitely great, the best way to end a nerfing hiatus, if I may say so myself.

It was a lot of fun to meet all the new DC-area nerfers and see that the region is still going strong, I look forward to nerfing with everyone again soon. Next time I might have to pay more attention to having my guns in working order, but the dual pistols is ever reliable. My priorities were straight anyways, I had a sexy shirt for the war.

Despite the temperature, we all held up quite well, though a 104 degree heat index is sure to shorten your nerfing day.

I definitely fell in love with that SNAPbow and look forward to making one, hopefully before Apoc.

Hope to see everyone at the next war.

-Crank'

P.S. Keo, I have a lot of your darts and also found someone's UMBC water bottle. Holler if it's yours, would love to return it at the next war.

#302032 DCNF #1- Now Recapping!

Posted by Crankymonky on 22 July 2011 - 12:03 PM in Nerf Wars

Hey everyone,

Long time no see, but it's good to see that DC area nerf is still going strong.

I'll see everyone tomorrow.

Keo, people usually use sunglasses, though I'd be hesitant about using super cheap sunglasses. I use safety glasses from a chemistry lab and I'll be bringing plenty of extras.

See everyone there.

#293617 Beltway Bedlam

Posted by Crankymonky on 30 January 2011 - 06:52 PM in Nerf Wars

Has anyone been in contact with Crankymonkey?

Not sure who you are referring to, but I am known to talk to a Crankymonky.

#289535 Beltway Bedlam

Posted by Crankymonky on 30 November 2010 - 08:18 PM in Nerf Wars

You expect me to know my schedule this far in advanced! Of course I'll be there. Have you gotten a price quote to rent out one of the various arenas? I thought it was quite a bit more.

#249694 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Crankymonky on 05 September 2009 - 08:57 PM in General Nerf

Podcast #11

#247735 Pano

Posted by Crankymonky on 19 August 2009 - 10:14 PM in Nerf Wars

That's like if I started a war called DC war and told Groove and Hersh to fuck off.

Excuse me?

#247257 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Crankymonky on 16 August 2009 - 05:53 PM in General Nerf

Badwrench has taken the time to re-encode all the Foamtalks. They are now significantly smaller, in terms of file size. I am unaware of any other changes. Audio Quality should not have changed noticeably. I will be keeping the older versions of the first 10 Foamtalks online, at least for the time being. This is so anyone who may be linking to them has a chance to update their links. It may be best for other sites to link to the NerfHaven or NerfHQ Foamtalk threads if you wish to link to the podcasts.

Foamtalk Episode 1
Foamtalk Episode 2
Foamtalk Episode 3
Foamtalk Episode 4
Foamtalk Episode 5
Foamtalk Episode 6
Foamtalk Episode 7
Foamtalk Episode 8
Foamtalk Episode 9
Foamtalk Episode 10

#246104 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Crankymonky on 08 August 2009 - 11:42 AM in General Nerf

Podcast #10

#245718 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Crankymonky on 05 August 2009 - 10:33 PM in General Nerf

Podcast #9

#243548 Lanard Sawed-off Handcannon

Posted by Crankymonky on 24 July 2009 - 11:40 AM in General Nerf

New air output values based on new measurement:

Air output of Lanard Sawed-Off Handcannon: 5.3 in^3
Air output of ERTL Pump Action Shotun: 6.52 in^3

I've also updated the old post.

#243485 Lanard Sawed-off Handcannon

Posted by Crankymonky on 24 July 2009 - 01:07 AM in General Nerf

The following are measures of air output, not plunger volume. Please note inaccuracies in measurement, also I am unsure if the measurements of the plunger tube's diameter I used are ID or OD. Please take that into account.

Plunger draw * pi * r^2
Handcannon: 3 in * pi * .75in ^2
PAS: 8.5cm * pi * 2cm ^2 ≈ 3.34in * pi * 0.79in^2

Air output of Lanard Sawed-Off Handcannon: 5.3 in^3
Air output of ERTL Pump Action Shotun: 6.52 in^3

Edit: Changed values based on Galaxy's new measurement. The old value of the Handcannon's air output was: 7.9 in^3, this is based on a 4.5 inch draw, which Galaxy said would be possible if you removed the pump priming system.

#243441 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Crankymonky on 23 July 2009 - 10:09 PM in General Nerf

Podcast 8

#242856 Nj Apocalypse #8

Posted by Crankymonky on 20 July 2009 - 02:18 PM in Nerf Wars

Though I wasn't on the list of attendees, I had previously posted saying I would be there, so I felt an update was the least I could do.

I will not be there.

#241462 Dart Of War 2 - Nerfous Breakdown

Posted by Crankymonky on 11 July 2009 - 03:45 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there. How far is this from the College Park metro?

Likely with +1.

#241361 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Crankymonky on 10 July 2009 - 09:13 PM in General Nerf

Podcast 7

#239804 Pa War

Posted by Crankymonky on 02 July 2009 - 01:58 PM in Nerf Wars

Should be there. Likely with one other.

#239575 Dart Of War 2 - Nerfous Breakdown

Posted by Crankymonky on 01 July 2009 - 11:31 AM in Nerf Wars

Time: 9:00am - 12:00pm

This war is 3 hours long? That's not a mistake?

How does having Koosh Balls being a valid ranged weapon work? Anyone who was at the last one want to comment? Do most people use them?

Hesitant to confirm for a 3 hour war.

#238574 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Crankymonky on 25 June 2009 - 03:52 PM in General Nerf

Podcast #6

#237924 Carolinerf/nerf Carolina

Posted by Crankymonky on 22 June 2009 - 12:45 AM in Nerf Wars

By the way, There has been a war called NCNO already.

"Norcal Nerf Off"

#237916 Supernova

Posted by Crankymonky on 21 June 2009 - 11:48 PM in Nerf Wars

I didn't appreciate being shot in the face by a reactor 3 times during east coast style. That was an awfully humiliating way to lose my last 3 "lives." Ya, I'm looking at you, Mr. Accessories.

#237712 Supernova

Posted by Crankymonky on 20 June 2009 - 11:48 PM in Nerf Wars

I am tired, and my nose hurts.

That's it? Just your nose?

I am now unable to move my left thumb, left knee, and right elbow.

The knee and elbow have some movement, thumb has none. Typing is odd.

Good war, sans the injury.

But I think I set a new personal record for barrel "taps" in one day.

Bummed that I had to sit out so many rounds after the fall.

What did people think of East Coast style? I thought it worked better by the playground, but sat out for one of the east coast style rounds on the other side.

Loads of fun, thanks for organizing this Slug.

Evan, I have the wallet you left. Good to see everyone, thanks for the ride Split. Nice to meet everyone. Gears, Koree, hope to nerf again soon. Waskos, as always loads of fun.

To everyone who ventured here for their first time, hope you enjoyed it.

Thanks to the Waskos and to Slug for letting me use your first aid kits.

P.S. I'm all for another war in the DC region in July, and August, and September, etc.

#236747 Ddt.........s

Posted by Crankymonky on 16 June 2009 - 12:29 PM in Nerf Wars

Still a maybe. Should know for sure in the next few days. Groove, Is there a spot in your car in exchange for some gas money?

Update: Can't make it.

#236532 Better-than-commercial-quality Crossbow

Posted by Crankymonky on 15 June 2009 - 07:34 PM in Homemades

where we can kill someone by striking them in the frontal lobe

No pictures so that none of you plagiarizing bastards take the idea.

I for one have no interest in killing someone while playing nerf.

I already did this years ago, but I didn't post it because I didn't want a plagiarizing bastard like you to take the idea.

#236510 "2009 Dew Tour"

Posted by Crankymonky on 15 June 2009 - 06:27 PM in General Nerf

If you have any intent on actually doing this, I'd register very, very quickly.

There are only 8 teams. Or maybe it was 8 teams per age group. Either way, register quickly.

#236320 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Crankymonky on 14 June 2009 - 09:15 PM in General Nerf

Foamtalk #5

No need to deal with megaupload.