Paragon19's Content

There have been 33 items by Paragon19 (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#284789 Nerf Claymore-like Mine

Posted by Paragon19 on 04 September 2010 - 08:35 PM in Homemades

So I was thinking of a safe, but effective way to trip to mine.

If you used magnets; One on the inside of the claymore and one attached to the end of your trip wire.

Reason being, magnets can be pulled apart easily enough to not cause people to actually trip over the wire. And they can be pulled apart in any direction.

The inside magnet could trip the mouse traps when the outer one trips causing them both to fall.

Just a suggestion though

Not a half bad idea, though there's no really easy way to make a magnet trigger the device.

#284656 Nerf Claymore-like Mine

Posted by Paragon19 on 02 September 2010 - 10:40 PM in Homemades

I was wondering... lets say someone shot the pencil case, could the case withstand it without cracking or breaking?

....shot it? What, with darts? I can test it if you want...but unless you shoot it with an actual firearm, I doubt it'll break. I used a staple gun during construction, and the box took that well enough.

I just tested for you. I shot it with a powerstocked Recon (don't have anything more powerful). No scratches or anything. I'm sure if you step on it it'll break, but a dart? No way.

I did shoot it with an airsoft pistol too. It punched a small hole in the box at point-blank, but the mine still functions perfectly.

#284642 Nerf Claymore-like Mine

Posted by Paragon19 on 02 September 2010 - 09:10 PM in Homemades

Thanks for all the encouraging words so far. Anyway, to answer some questions:

@deadshooter711: It helps to remember that this originally had pencil stakes, to stick in the ground (for outdoor use). A circle of duct tape would probably work for indoor use. It was also originally oriented with the "front" of the pencil box pointed up. I was going to sand off the lid catch, drill a hole in both halves, stick in a copper wire (leftover from a mousetrap), and then attach fishing wire to it. The wire would then have been pulled by the person who planted it, once an enemy got in range. I still plan on making this work, I just have to change the orientation, since it doesn't work as well facing the direction I'd hoped.

The alternative, as Durka Durka mentioned, would be a trip wire, which I'm a little hesitant to suggest, for safety concerns. Same thing, a copper pin, gets pulled out when someone steps on/knocks against the trip wire.

@Ninja: Feel free to do some builds of your own, but like I said, it's definitely not done, and the improvements I plan (adding a mousetrap, and raising them so there's more force on the springs) should add some more power/range. I'd love to see some pictures of any builds you do though, and any ideas for improvement you have would be great too.

When I do my next prototype, I'll take some pictures of the build in progress, to show how it's done. Word of advice: have someone help you. It makes assembly a lot easier to have an extra pair of hands.

#284600 Nerf Claymore-like Mine

Posted by Paragon19 on 02 September 2010 - 03:23 PM in Homemades

Because I'm aware of the largely negative opinion of projects of this nature, I'd like to make a few points before presenting my project, that I'd very much like you all to read before commenting:

- I got this idea from a previous "nerf mine" thread. In fact, just about all of the parts came from suggestions in that thread from members of this forum.
- This mine kinda sucks. It only gets about a 6-7 foot "blast radius". It's very directional (forward), and doesn't give the darts a lot of altitude. Hopefully I can refine the design.
- This is a protoype. It is not final, and I expect to make a fair number of changes to the "final" product.
- This probably won't be useful in Nerf wars. I am not a "nerfer" in the way that most of you are. I primarily play HvZ on a college campus, where I expect it to be more useful due to the range constraints zombies have when attacking.
- I want your suggestions. Like I said, it's not the final product, I'd like some help making it more powerful/better.

Anyway, the design is pretty simple. Unfortunately, I didn't take any progress pictures, but I do have pictures of the final device, and a video of operation. Materials used were:

- 1 plastic pencil box
- 3 mousetraps (final version will probably use 4)
- 6 pencils (4 for stakes that were later removed)
- 1 bandanna/piece of cloth
- Glue (I used "Liquid Nails")
- Staples. Lots of them.

So, here are some pictures, since they're worth a million words:

As you can see, it looks basically like a regular pencil case. There used to be four pencils attached for "stakes", but I removed them from the prototype because the orientation was wrong.
Posted Image

Here it is open. There are three mousetraps that fling the lid open, stretching out the fabric between the two halves. There is a pencil on each side of the case attached to the fabric, to spread the tension evenly across the surface.
Posted Image

Here you can see the three mousetraps that power it. The final version will not have them inclined, which should provide more power, and like I said before, it should also include one more mousetrap. The pencil case is plenty durable to withstand the mousetraps, in case you were wondering.
Posted Image

To load the device, darts are placed on the fabric...
Posted Image

..and then the box is closed with the darts in the "pocket" created.
Posted Image

Unhook the lid, and the darts fly, as this short video demonstrates. I have some ideas for a pin that can be pulled via fishing line, but I just haven't implemented it yet.
Posted Image

Final thoughts:
- I used to have it on it's side, so the lid opened forward kind of like an actual claymore, but then I realized it worked better with the lid up.
- I'm only using streamlines right now because I don't have any stefans (yet).
- I have a potential name for it: Spring Actuated Dart Incendiary Simulation Technology, or S.A.D.I.S.T. I just wanted it to spell something, really.
- All the parts are very cheap. For me, I think total cost per unit is about $3.50 USD. $1 per pencil case, $2 for 4 mousetraps, $1 for a bandanna (that can supply fabric for at least 4 mines), and $1 for 24 pencils. Of course the price goes down the more you make, and the glue and staples are extra cost as well. Oh, and fishing line.

So, there it is. Let the comments begin! *takes cover*

#284507 I Bet Some Nerfers Could Do This Better

Posted by Paragon19 on 01 September 2010 - 04:15 PM in Off Topic

Blah blah blah, taser grenade, blah blah blah

#283993 Matching Red Spray Paint To The Red Recon (question)

Posted by Paragon19 on 26 August 2010 - 12:29 AM in Modifications

So, I've done the Longshot now, and improved my method. Though I did still screw up with the bipod.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
I do have to say, I think this is the color the Longshot should always have been made in, instead of just a short special run for Wal Mart.

Next up is my new Alpha Trooper.

#283891 Matching Red Spray Paint To The Red Recon (question)

Posted by Paragon19 on 23 August 2010 - 11:42 PM in Modifications

Just paint in your garage or something. Either way, with the way you tape, paint the damn recon. Do the other guns first, but still, the paint looks pretty good for a first time, and once you give it a few more goes, it should look fine. The red on the recon looks really dull and boring compared to the red on the Mav. Its more... red. So go for it. It'll look great, and all that.

What's this garage thing you speak of? It sounds expensive, or high class. Certainly nothing a poor college student like myself would have.

Thanks though, I think it turned out pretty well too. I'm going to paint everything else first, and then see if the Recon sticks out like a sore thumb, or see if I can get away with not painting it. Though I'm pretty sure it'll be the former, not the latter.

#283889 Matching Red Spray Paint To The Red Recon (question)

Posted by Paragon19 on 23 August 2010 - 11:08 PM in Modifications

It's likely that you sprayed it on too thick for a single coat.

No, I mean they landed on it within three seconds of my finishing spraying.

#283887 Matching Red Spray Paint To The Red Recon (question)

Posted by Paragon19 on 23 August 2010 - 10:33 PM in Modifications

Well thanks guys for all the input, I appreciate it. For anyone curious, the difference between Krylon Cherry Red and the color the Recon is molded in, take a look:

Posted ImagePosted Image

#283877 Matching Red Spray Paint To The Red Recon (question)

Posted by Paragon19 on 23 August 2010 - 09:13 PM in Modifications

For once in my life, I actually agree entirely with Bob. Don't get hard Bob, it wont happen again, but he is absolutely right. Do your other guns first. Use them. There is no point in painting a gun if you don't like using it. Plus, spray paint is super cheap and easy to use. Unless you don't have arms, I don't think you'll have trouble getting it down. The key is thin dustings of paint. Only once you have that down can you start doing the kool stuff.

(Which, by the way Nerf Haven, I've been able to consistently do a crackle effect on my guns.)

I like things to be uniform a lot of the time, not necessarily fancy. I just spray painted my Maverick though, as a test of the paint and all, and I actually think I like the spray paint red better than the red the Recon came in.

Just to be clear, I like the Recon a lot. I don't want to mess it up. On the other guns, even messed up red spray paint would be better than that damned yellow.

#283871 Matching Red Spray Paint To The Red Recon (question)

Posted by Paragon19 on 23 August 2010 - 08:31 PM in Modifications

I'd like to take a moment to express my extreme displeasure with insects' natural attraction to the color red, and how easily they stick to drying spray paint........ *grumble grumble*

#283867 Matching Red Spray Paint To The Red Recon (question)

Posted by Paragon19 on 23 August 2010 - 07:24 PM in Modifications

+ Get a can of any red that you like.
+ Paint one of your other blasters.
+ Give it plenty of time to cure, and maybe even use it some.
+ Then decide: either your skills lack, and you should stop now, or else you did okay, and there's no reason not to do the Recon.

Yeah, that's about where I am at this point. The Cherry Red I already have is a good red, so I guess I'll start with my Maverick, wait for it to dry, mull it over for a day or two, and then decide. I guess it's better to have them all match than have one slightly off.

#283850 Matching Red Spray Paint To The Red Recon (question)

Posted by Paragon19 on 23 August 2010 - 04:53 PM in Modifications

So you're afraid of your painting skills so you wont paint your recon? So to solve that problem you're going to paint all your other guns? I don't get it...

No, I'm painting the other ones because I like red better than yellow. :) I just don't like the idea of having to paint the Recon as well.

#283846 Is The Nerf Tactical Vest Worth The $30?

Posted by Paragon19 on 23 August 2010 - 04:10 PM in General Nerf

I'm considering getting a vest for HvZ, and this is in the running, because apparently most other tactical vests are the same price or more expensive.

I'm just not sure I'd want the magazines exposed since they'd be like zombie beacons.

#283844 Hvz Next Gun

Posted by Paragon19 on 23 August 2010 - 03:55 PM in General Nerf

I'm throwing in with the chorus here: get an Alpha Trooper. The size, weight, capacity and rate of fire are excellent, and the price is more than reasonable. There's a good chance I'll be using my new Trooper as my primary this coming semester, instead of my modified Recon.

Unless you decide to save up for a Stampede, which I'm also doing.

#283843 Matching Red Spray Paint To The Red Recon (question)

Posted by Paragon19 on 23 August 2010 - 03:41 PM in Modifications

Honestly, what I would do is just get some red paint, and then just paint everything with that red. Sure, you wouldn't be matching the recon, but your arsenal would match, and isnt that the ultimate goal?

You mean paint the Recon too, even though it's already red? I've considered it, but while I'm quite sure I'd be able to mask it properly, I'd still prefer it not gaining splotches via my lack of painting skill.

I guess at this point I'm going to just go ahead and try the paint matching, which prompts another question from me; Considering that I am only painting the yellow parts red on these blasters, to make them look like they could have actually come that way from Nerf, should I apply any kind of base coat first?

#283813 Matching Red Spray Paint To The Red Recon (question)

Posted by Paragon19 on 23 August 2010 - 09:18 AM in Modifications

Try Krylon "Banner Red". Or if you want to get real close, take it to a professional paints shop and they can match it, mix you up some and put it in a spray can. It will cost like $10 a can but it'll be exact.

I actually wasn't aware they could do that (fill spray paint cans at shops, that is). Thanks for the input. I'm definitely going to try the Krylon first, butI guess if it doesn't match, I'll try the more expensive option.

#283785 Matching Red Spray Paint To The Red Recon (question)

Posted by Paragon19 on 22 August 2010 - 11:32 PM in Modifications

I know, this almost seems like it shouldn't be on the modification board, but I'll go ahead anyway and ask: does anyone know of a particular spray paint that would most accurately match the Red Recon? I'm not doing anything elaborate, I just wanted to make my arsenal match. I guess at the very least it'll make the tacticool junk look better if I put it on?

So far, I've bought a can of Krylon cherry red, which comes pretty close, but is slightly too dark, and I don't think it's made for plastic either, so that might help.

#283470 N-strike Alpha Trooper Cs-18

Posted by Paragon19 on 18 August 2010 - 11:28 PM in General Nerf

I just got one tonight, and this is the most pleased I've been with a blaster straight out of the package. I can confirm am1259's claim about 40 ft range - apparently it has a new AR design that gives it better range? It's a very comfortable gun to me too. Not so sure about modding potential, but I definitely consider it a worthwhile buy.

#281294 Nerf Stampede - Reviews & Internals Guide

Posted by Paragon19 on 26 July 2010 - 03:50 PM in General Nerf

I'm going to have to paint one of these red, and I'm definitely getting one. I'll definitely be interested to see if anyone can come up with a mod to give it a manual cocking mechanism as a backup.

#281281 Humans Vs Zombies Recommended Weapons

Posted by Paragon19 on 26 July 2010 - 01:43 PM in General Nerf

Well I don't like suggesting melee because some games don't allow them, and some games (like ours) only allow them after completing an "unlock" mission. If they are allowed, however, they certainly are useful. I have a small foam sword that I have attached to an old Recon sight. The end result is a bayonette I can put on the barrel of my Recon, and because it goes on the rail, I can put it on and remove it very easily.

As much as I prefer using Nerf blasters, balled-up socks (or marshmallows if that's how your school is playing) are always good to have in case of emergencies.

#280875 Stampede Official Nerf Demo Coverage

Posted by Paragon19 on 21 July 2010 - 01:06 PM in General Nerf

Well I don't like the lack of manual priming handle, but this seems like a valuable blaster for HvZ, so I'm definitely considering getting one and slapping in my drum. Though I don't get why everyone keeps talking about the shield and grip, both seem useless to me.

#280872 Humans Vs Zombies Recommended Weapons

Posted by Paragon19 on 21 July 2010 - 12:21 PM in General Nerf

I just want to point out on benefit of carrying as many weapons as I did. If an ally ran out of ammo or had a gun jam I have them covered.

This is why my entire team carries "standard magazine" (that means 6-round mags, drum mags, soon those long mags and mini drums too, not stuff like the Magstrike) fed Nerf blasters; if one of us runs out of ammo somehow, we can just hand off extra magazines. Still allows lots to fall back on, but without the added weight of having extra guns. Plus having lots of similar guns means that if we DO hand off a gun to someone, they basically know how to use it immediately. I've never used an RF20, not exactly sure how it works. Definitely wouldn't want to figure out on the battlefield.

#280235 Humans Vs Zombies Recommended Weapons

Posted by Paragon19 on 14 July 2010 - 04:39 PM in General Nerf

Hands down, the best way to survive is to avoid attack, and there are lots of ways.

1: Avoid being a target. Like I already said, downplaying the fact that you're a human means less attention from zombies. The less often you have to fire on zombies, the more ammo you have.

2: Work with a team. Lone humans make easy targets for zombies, as there's usually a 50% chance of getting a meal. Simply being with one other armed human lowers the chances of being tagged by a single zombie to somewhere around 10%; one of you will most likely make the shot, if not both of you. Beyond that, zombies are less likely to attack larger groups of humans. Having more people with you also means being able to watch various directions. Its best if you do some preparation with your group, learn to watch every angle, train to keep full 360 degree cover.

3: Save your ammo. Usually its best not to engage zombies until <20 ft. Modding a gun can help, but in my experience, added range is less important than an increased projectile speed, because darts are easy to dodge. Try to take shots only when you know you'll hit your target. Sometimes suppressing fire is useful, but if you know the only option is to stun a zombie (if they're blocking the doors to your dorm, for example), get in close enough that you can make the shot. The advantage should be obvious: the less you shoot, the more ammo you have at your disposal. I got careless once because I had a Raider drum in my Recon, and I started lobbing shots at some zombies, and it almost got me zombified. (Rule 2 saved me).

Those will get you through the day, but really the only way to survive missions where there will be a large concentration of zombies is to work with a team, keep a tight formation, and watch every angle. Having a clear chain of command is also a good idea, the last thing you want is to start arguing about which way to go when you have a horde on your back.

As for carrying multiple weapons per Demon's suggestion, I have to respectfully disagree. I carry only one primary weapon (I switch between Recon and Longshot) and a sidearm, usually a Maverick. I haven't used the Maverick against zombies yet, but I've seen a lot of humans save their asses with one when their primary weapon ran out or jammed, so I let them teach me that lesson instead of learning it myself.

#280212 Humans Vs Zombies Recommended Weapons

Posted by Paragon19 on 14 July 2010 - 11:57 AM in General Nerf

I've always found magazines easier to reload than a Maverick personally, even now that my Maverick is modded so the barrels come out almost all the way.

#280210 Humans Vs Zombies Recommended Weapons

Posted by Paragon19 on 14 July 2010 - 11:25 AM in General Nerf

Recon, and I'll tell you why; when going to class, the best option is to attract as little attention as possible. People carrying around huge Nerf guns will make easier zombie bait. When I go to class I just break down my Recon into a pistol and carry a bag on my shoulder, with the gun in the bag, and my hand on the gun, ready to pull it if I'm made. Obviously you can do the same thing with the Maverick if you want, but the Recon of course has the advantage of taking magazines, making it easy to reload. Obviously I would suggest getting extra magazines. I actually have a Raider drum that I bought from someone on these forums that I've been able to fit in my bag too, meaning that while my teammates went to classes with only sidearms, I went basically everywhere incognito, but with full standard firepower. The last thing you want is to be out of darts and have to shove a bunch into a Maverick while being chased by zombies.

But hey, I've only survived both of the two games I've been in.

#276157 Cs-18 Clip - Hands On

Posted by Paragon19 on 27 May 2010 - 10:01 AM in General Nerf

I have to question whether these are actually produced by/for Nerf, and whether someone else is making them.

They probably are, but then again they might not. This could be checked by comparing the top of the clip where hasbro writes their "for use with streamlines only" warning.

AJ, would you mind checking on this? They probably are legit considering that leaked spartan picture showed an 18 round clip in the gun, but it couldn't hurt to check.

And if they aren't legit, who cares? As long as they work.

Well if they're not actually Nerf, they don't break the rules. I'm still pretty sure the Spartan or Stampede maybe, will have something that allows 50 rounds, since both Target and Amazon accidentally listed it that way.

#276045 N-strike Barrel Break Ix-2

Posted by Paragon19 on 26 May 2010 - 10:28 AM in News

3) There has never been a shell loaded nerf gun (I'm pretty sure but not 100% positive) but there has been two shot nerf guns before ie splitshot.

The Vulcan's belt is comprised of "shells". I mean, take a look at Lanard's belt fed gun, and compare those shells to the ones included with the Double Shot. I've always been under the impression they were exactly the same, just with hinges to attach.

That said, I don't think it'll use shells either, because of the rail attachment. I'm just saying that if they wanted to, they already have something they could use.

#276041 Cs-18 Clip - Hands On

Posted by Paragon19 on 26 May 2010 - 09:44 AM in General Nerf

I have to question whether these are actually produced by/for Nerf, and whether someone else is making them.

#275209 N-strike Alpha Trooper Cs-18

Posted by Paragon19 on 18 May 2010 - 06:05 PM in General Nerf

High-five to Nerf's kick-ass PR people. You girls rock.

Also, no socket for barrel extensions?!

The Raider doesn't have one either. The pump grip is integrated into the actual barrel the same for both (hence the slam fire). I admit, I'm slightly disappointed too, I was thinking some of the extensions might look cool on it. What I find really odd is the inclusion of a stock mount, but no stock included with the blaster, this marks the first time Nerf has done it. Granted, it would mean an increase in price if one was included. Perhaps they'll make some value pack exclusives including Recon stocks, or maybe yellow Raider stocks, which I would like.

I really hope they make some in red.

The 18 round drum mag looks interesting but also a bit odd looking.

The only problem I have with this is that it doesn't really do anything the raider or recon can't already do. Sure it's neat looking, but it's a bit pointless.

I still haven't messed around with my raiders yet; I'm not going to turn around and buy this.

It means slam fire and moderate capacity for those of us who think the Raider costs too much. I'm sure it'll make plenty of money.

#275187 N-strike Alpha Trooper Cs-18

Posted by Paragon19 on 18 May 2010 - 03:45 PM in General Nerf

Very nice to see this happening for the site.

Personally, I think Nerf went in the right direction with this blaster. As has been stated, it basically seems like a smaller version of the Raider. I'm always excited to see new CS blasters though, especially if it means more magazine options. I kind of wish they'd include a stock with it (a folding stock would be nice), but I could see myself picking one of these up for HvZ in the fall, even though I'm very satisfied with my current blasters.

I certainly like it a lot more than the Deploy, which just struck me as completely irrelevant among the line of N-Strike blasters, especially with that god-awful side mounted magazine feed.

Holy crap! Do you think the orange bit with holes on top of the barrel is the jam door?

I imagine the orange part on the top of the receiver is, but not the part on the actual barrel. Probably just for looks.

#271057 Nerf Claymore/trip Mine

Posted by Paragon19 on 02 April 2010 - 02:53 AM in Homemades

The purpose isnt to make them snapping all over turning peoples feet into wannabe mice, but rather using the tension spring to propel the darts. My theory is all things dangerous can be modified to be safer, or vice versa.

Yeah, the idea is to extract the springs from the rest of the trap, no plate, spring firmly embedded inside the device, etc.

#270978 Nerf Claymore/trip Mine

Posted by Paragon19 on 01 April 2010 - 03:03 PM in Homemades

Today I had nothing to do, so I got some mousetraps and modified your design. It is very very basic at the moment, but it provides enough to test with. My theory turned out to be right, and if angled correctly, can achieve possibly 10ft...rat traps would probably add another 5 feet if i used rat traps. Maybe ill get some pics up for you to see.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this so i can make a few of my own. I'm part of a team that participates in HvZ at my university, and there have been many times that we were rushed by "zombies" and could really have used something like this to thin their numbers quickly and cause confusion as to who had been hit.

How expensive exactly are mousetraps, and do you think I could simply use toilet roll springs, with a piece of cloth suspended between the halves of the pencil case? I'd just prefer avoiding something capable of removing my fingers.

Edit: So I realize how you expect to use mousetraps now, but I'd be afraid of the spring on the trap being to powerful to the point that it would break the pencil case very easily. I did, however, find some really cheap torsion springs: http://www.rochfords...1_A_promoid_E_5