Y-Brik's Content

There have been 145 items by Y-Brik (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#339060 TR-27 GRYPHON - CR-18 Rapidstrike Mod

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 May 2014 - 12:56 PM in Modifications

I'd love to find a nice 3 position rotary switch what I could mount in such a way you can operate it with your right thumb, like the M16.

Like this one?
Or this one?

#339035 TR-27 GRYPHON - CR-18 Rapidstrike Mod

Posted by Y-Brik on 19 May 2014 - 11:37 AM in Modifications

This is fantastic, you're making my RS jealous for an upgrade!
A few observations/suggestions:
-Have you considered making the code interrupt-driven? It may be neater code, and save battery. Basically, instead of polling all the I/0 all the time, the arduino will "notice something has changed" and run the appropriate code.

-For user IO, I really like that OLED display, maybe integrated into the cheek rest if there isn't enough room where you have your ammo counter. I may be hitting the garage sale myself when the paycheck hits!

-If you go with the OLED display, consider a tactile 5-way switch for your input, accessible by the right index finger. Imagine tweaking firing control and other settings from there- and it's more discrete than the rocker switch. You may want to use your voltage divider trick there too, or give in and grab a shift register.

EDIT: More info on interrupts

#328489 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Y-Brik on 02 April 2013 - 08:40 AM in Homemades

Gave my old and busted +Bow some love over Spring Break
Posted Image

That's 2"x1/8" aluminum strapping from Depot, cost me $8. And will never break.
Also, wood stock!
Posted Image

#324859 Dremel Recommendations

Posted by Y-Brik on 28 December 2012 - 11:58 PM in Modifications

I use This One, which I got at Target for ~$30. It's served me well for years. Totally compatible with all Dremel brand stuff.

#324287 Simple S.S. AS-1 mod

Posted by Y-Brik on 09 December 2012 - 02:24 PM in Modifications

Nice writeup, but a lot of this has been covered here before. Look for CPVC barrel replacement mods.
Also, why did you remove the shell if all your mods were done to the (exposed) barrel?

#323377 Question about lubricant

Posted by Y-Brik on 07 November 2012 - 11:48 PM in Modifications

Been using this stuff for years, it's fantastic. I got mine at Miller Industrial (Similar to, but not an ACE). I've used it on plungers, triggers, even a sticky door hinge.

#321058 "Freehand" Molded Silicone Domes

Posted by Y-Brik on 26 August 2012 - 02:48 PM in Darts and Barrels

How do you recommend drilling the dome molds? Is there a specific bit for it?

#320662 Hey Guys, iNerfHaven Dev Here UPDATED ANDROID VERSION TO BETA 4

Posted by Y-Brik on 19 August 2012 - 12:05 AM in General Nerf

1.Your image link is broken
2.All the cool nerds use Android

EDIT:
1: pix work now, redacted
2: Develop for whatever you like, and props for actually putting the effort in. If/when you get an Android port, I will gladly try it. Regardless of which OS is overhyped into a religion.

#319067 Retaliator/Recon Pump Grip (write up included)

Posted by Y-Brik on 23 July 2012 - 11:44 PM in Modifications

That is awesome. I like how compact it still is, and how it has the light and red dot. It makes the alpha troop look kind of useless at that point.

Close, but there's also something to be said for original design. Jams did occur, I ended up selling this and getting a Raider when I realized that's what I was basically building (The AT wasn't out yet, and quite frankly I hate the ergonomics of it)

Perfect? No. Useful and fun? Definitely.

#318133 Retaliator/Recon Pump Grip (write up included)

Posted by Y-Brik on 07 July 2012 - 12:33 PM in Modifications

If you have a spare Recon shell (and who doesn't with the PTs breaking all the time), this method works out well. Use coathanger wire to link the slides, and a tac rail bracket to affix the pump to the barrel
Posted Image
More pix here

#314958 JSPB DYNE-2012

Posted by Y-Brik on 29 April 2012 - 01:35 PM in Homemades

That. Is. Sexy.
I've been meaning to build a mad ghost for awhile now, glad I hadn't started yet. I detect a summer project!

#314857 Rifled stefans

Posted by Y-Brik on 27 April 2012 - 12:11 PM in General Nerf

Cool story bro
Seriously, this will destroy your dart/barrel seal and short of building a special jig (we're playing "I believe in rifling darts" now), there's no way you can keep the spirals consistent from dart to dart.

#314417 Cataclysm 3 - Chicagoland War

Posted by Y-Brik on 15 April 2012 - 09:40 PM in Nerf Wars

Aww yeeah! I'm in!

#313397 VANS Are Not Slugs

Posted by Y-Brik on 23 March 2012 - 11:47 AM in Darts and Barrels

I'm guessing not, but the felt is to allow the darts to feed in a hopper.

#312711 INO. A March '12 War!

Posted by Y-Brik on 11 March 2012 - 01:50 PM in Nerf Wars

Yah, it's just the valve, you let my dad borrow it for Zombies.

Then consider it a bribe to host another war

#312703 INO. A March '12 War!

Posted by Y-Brik on 11 March 2012 - 08:56 AM in Nerf Wars

Thanks! And you left your ball valve, I can hold it for you, unless you would like me to ship it.

I knew I was gonna forget something!
As long as it's not attached to clear pvc, it'd be cheaper for me to just grab a new one. If it's just the valve, you can have it.

#312695 Habitat for Humanity

Posted by Y-Brik on 10 March 2012 - 10:24 PM in Off Topic

Pay for it yourself.

Good to know the Internet hasn't changed

Louie- This is a great thing you're doing, you have my respect and prayers. I do think, however, that going to IN is a bit unnecessary- there's plenty of places locally that need the help just as much (chicago- nuff said) while redirecting funds from gas to...you know...helping people. I hope your school will consider that on its next trip.

#312689 INO. A March '12 War!

Posted by Y-Brik on 10 March 2012 - 09:49 PM in Nerf Wars

Okay! It was awesome to get nerfing this year- now on to the obligatory pros and cons

+ Mod party
+ Meeting cool nerfers
+ Meeting nerfers under 13 who were cool (It happens people!)
+ My primaries not breaking
+ Enough darts to go around despite my shameless mooching
+ Getting great stuff in trade/sales
+ Good rounds (Zombies, team deathmatch)
+ Pink darts
+ Great location

- Pattycake
- Hummer getting shot to hell in zombies
- Technology
- Location was a home- different than a field!
- Will the real host please stand up?

All in all a great time, looking forward to INO 2

#312271 INO. A March '12 War!

Posted by Y-Brik on 02 March 2012 - 06:21 PM in Nerf Wars

Ooh, goody, I've been itching to shoot someone. I'm in, but low on darts. I assume we'll be using standard outdoor primaries?

#309630 Nerf Vulcan

Posted by Y-Brik on 17 January 2012 - 10:40 AM in General Nerf

I really can't wait anymore to get this big fat gun out of the box but until I got confirmation that my model of the Vulcan is not inferior to any existing model I won't open the box.......

1. Where did you hear these claims? If it's anything like the umpteen other guns with several generations (LS, Recon, NF), then the range and power difference is something like a foot or less (read-no difference).
2. You have a stock Vulcan and you're afraid of inferior blasters....yeah.
3. Your link is not loading. If it's a picture, upload it to a photo sharing site and embed it with the appropriate tags.

tl/dr: This is a non-issue: play with your toy! If you see major issues, you can consider modding it or, you know, getting a nerf gun that's actually reliable and powerful.

#308331 Pimp Your JOLT - Share Your Tips

Posted by Y-Brik on 16 December 2011 - 01:18 AM in Modifications

Sorry for the n00b question but, does anyone know if a Jolt can handle a [k26]?
I've read that an ace #62 will destroy it but I don't know if a [k26] will.

As I recall, a [k26] will not fit. The included spring is already surprisingly strong, chances are decent a Jolt could handle a spring of that strength.

#307345 The recon blast bazooka

Posted by Y-Brik on 14 November 2011 - 04:45 PM in Modifications

Dear god, never shoot those rounds at people- is that a nail??

#307329 Simple Side-by-Side Jolts

Posted by Y-Brik on 13 November 2011 - 11:33 PM in Modifications

I used a nail with the head cut off slipped across the priming handles.
Something linking the triggers might fix that issue and be pretty cool.

Try disabling one of the triggers- keep it constantly pulled back (zip-tie) or clear off the catch notch (the 'nail'). If the priming bars are linked, one catch may just be enough.

#307074 Quick public question: Vortex or N-Strike?

Posted by Y-Brik on 07 November 2011 - 08:58 AM in General Nerf

I'll probably be flamed for this, but here goes:

Which series of gun would you shoot, Vortex or N-Strike?

I personally like N-Strike better, not because of the distance (which usually sucks) but because of the modularity of all of them (barrels can be swapped, scopes/lights can be added) and their guns are more modern (Recon looks like an M4A1, Element looks like a USP, etc.). How about you guys; Vortex or N-Strike?

Hell yeah, I love the tacticoolness of adding blades to my Recon and making them look like M4s! Hooray for milsim!
/end sarcasm

Just a tip, this community abhors the "This toy looks like this thing-cops-shoot-at" attitude to Nerf.
Almost as much as they hate "which is better" threads.

People here are likely to prefer NStrike because they use conventional ammo, are more well-known, and have more modding options.

#307054 Nerf Quick-16 Mod

Posted by Y-Brik on 06 November 2011 - 09:27 PM in Modifications

I know but not really

The springs are extremely similar, but as I recall the PT is a hair thicker- I could fit a Louie-made RFSG spring on but barely, and ultimately had to put the original back in.

#305890 Longshot Fouble Prime Problems

Posted by Y-Brik on 14 October 2011 - 11:59 PM in Modifications

I've seen this to be especially the case in the yellow LS. In my current blaster, I beveled the extension on the boltsled that usually catches on the lock. If you get it right, you can override the lock without removing it altogether.The issue arises from the tail of the boltsled jamming into the right hand wall of the shell without the lock to guide it.

#305791 Need help locating where I can get a spring for the Bullet Guard for t

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 October 2011 - 08:50 PM in Modifications

Ace #2 or 3 should be good. Take the dart tooth in and test fit, then cut it to the right size.

Ace # 2 is WAY too strong!
Gut a clicky pen, try to find a fatter pen so the spring is larger, then shave down the '+' under the dart tooth until it fits.
Also, firing bullets out of a Nerf gun never works. Everything here is made to shoot darts.

#305034 Alpha Trooper help

Posted by Y-Brik on 26 September 2011 - 06:03 PM in Modifications

The catch isn't working obviously, so maybe the piece under the catch isn't clipped in the right place?

No, the Slamfire piece is right, it's definitely the lock/hold-it-forward issue. fyi, before closing it up again it's worth doinf the spring compression mod- a duct tape ring that makes the spring hit full compression when cocked.

#305012 Alpha Trooper help

Posted by Y-Brik on 26 September 2011 - 08:07 AM in Modifications

When it's together, try holding the slide all the way forward. Slamfire blasters have this little side effect- the breech must be ALL the way forward for the little slam-fire-y bit to work. Want to not have to worry about it? See that lock just to the right of the barrel cover? Put it back.

This was a hunch based on what you gave us, remember 1. NH does NOT like spoon feeding info, and 2. if you're going to ask for help you may want to to get the actual firing mechanism in the picture!!
EDIT- the important picture seems to have a broken link

#304877 Homemade Ren Fair Firearms

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 September 2011 - 10:14 PM in Homemades

build replica black-powder firearms with fully functioning mechanisms that shoot Nerf darts...

This is where you lost us. It seems you are not another 12-year old who wants a 1337 snypor like he saw in COD, but combustion in a nerf gun...never happens. Look at the recent thread about propane power to understand how squeamish we are about these things.

tl;dr- You're wrong. But you don't seem to be a moron. Lurk and see who we are, try to contribute to that.

#303441 Ammo counter

Posted by Y-Brik on 17 August 2011 - 01:19 AM in Modifications

On the topic of micro controllers, Texas Instruments is selling its launchpad microcontroller with interface and IDE for $4.30! The controller is a 14 pin Dual Inline Package (Read- can fit in a AA battery), C-programmable, and looks to be great for our low-power, low-skill, low-cost application.
//Slight off-topic- TI also makes a programmable, wireless watch with accelerometers. Could this be used in a high-tech nerf gun? Possibly, probably not, but it's cool.

#303336 Imperial RCB

Posted by Y-Brik on 14 August 2011 - 07:36 PM in Homemades

Cool stuff, man. I like the minimal e-tape usage in combining the parts around the catch. However, you seem to have missed (picture)
It's a Ring Catch Blaster that was posted quite a while ago as you can see, and it utilizes parts readily available in the U.S. Here is mine that I posted a bit over a month ago

//Stuff about differences in designs//

Eh, I'll join in with the dickwaving- mine was finished in March, and is a direct copy adaptation of Ragrizinferno's build on the Nrev. Venom, yours is gorgeous, but it's begging for clear tees too.

#303286 Imperial RCB

Posted by Y-Brik on 12 August 2011 - 11:07 PM in Homemades

It's worth noting where you've sourced your PVC- Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace all carry slightly different styles of fittings, some of which suit our needs more than others. I'm guessing you got these from Ace?

#303232 Imperial RCB

Posted by Y-Brik on 11 August 2011 - 11:33 PM in Homemades

Great find with the reducers- is it a snug fit or still a bit wobbly w/o the etape?
Also, I think this will be the go-to way to make a plunger rod for these things- same price as 5' of nylon or delrin (not counting tax and shipping) and with much more useful leftover! I assume you're using this with a full [k26]?

Also, what's with the funky 1.5" thinwall color?

#303125 Ammo counter

Posted by Y-Brik on 09 August 2011 - 07:21 PM in Modifications

This would be so much fun, but I think it'd be much more cost effective if it was worked out in Medium-scale integration instead of on a pricey microcontroller. Excellent work putting more electronics into nerf than just lights and lazors!

#303008 Project: SPARK

Posted by Y-Brik on 08 August 2011 - 02:35 PM in Modifications

4. If you made a HUGE diameter homemade pump and replaced the old one, I think pumping wouldn't be some much of a challenge. I'd use 1 1/2" to 2" pvc, then use Venom's plunger head design. I integrated that onto a SNAP, and it had an almost perfect seal with a little teflon tape on it. The entire gun was retired because the trigger didn't work.

Have fun bringing such a large diameter pump up to pressure- remember pressure is measured in pounds per square inch- to work a greater diamerter pump up to the same PSI you need to pump MUCH harder. That said, a Schraeder valve on the hard tank and an upright bike pump in the staging area may be worth exploring.

#302616 Pump action U Channel blaster

Posted by Y-Brik on 01 August 2011 - 11:14 AM in Homemades

With the advent of the simpler and sturdier RBP and RCP, I don't understand why we're using a more complex and less sturdy method to achieve pump action.

#302207 Where to buy Camo bag with Streamlines

Posted by Y-Brik on 24 July 2011 - 11:48 PM in General Nerf

For a college kid, save a bit more and get the new 100 pack of Streamlines from TRU- it's $25 for 100 I-won't-hide-from-you darts. Best price per dart on stock ammo.

#301936 SNAP Carbine mk2

Posted by Y-Brik on 20 July 2011 - 11:19 PM in Homemades

In English, improvement does not mean perfection. However I dont know if that remains the same in whatever language you speak.

I don't need to order a 5 dollar part off mcmaster to get a perfect seal when a $1.10 worth of materials gets me the same seal. And if it starts to fail, I can open up the blaster, replace the tape and the o-ring, and re-lube it and have it ready for the next round. I'm not making a fucking military grade weapon.

As I recall, a modern washer sandwich plunger head a la Superlative, Preemptive, etc. cost around $2.50, are locally sourced, easier to make, more reliable, and provide a 100% air seal if done right. Why are we running back to reinvent the wheel when it comes to Snaps?

That said, well done on the writeup. I think the carbine is an excellent super-easy-to-make homemade for the newbies and a great shits&giggles blaster for the rest of us. But that is all it is.

#301707 Illinois Foam Fest Six: Part 2

Posted by Y-Brik on 17 July 2011 - 06:39 PM in Nerf Wars

Good to get out and nerf again

Pros:
+field testing the GheTurret worked well
+friends, cool group of guys (and failkid...)
+rocking the Recon
+Blowing up water jugs
+Someone donating to the "we're dying and need water" fund
+Gatorade

Cons
-hot
-no ammo
-3:15
-rounds turning into firing squads
-hot
-Indiana crew leaving early
-Lots of downtime
-HOT

ALSO- I recieced one blue NF from Wicket and it somehow duplicated itself- if anyone is missing an NF, pm me!