Jedijoe9's Content

There have been 215 items by Jedijoe9 (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#277041 Clash Of Steel: The Real Steel

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 07 June 2010 - 06:53 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm a maybe with the way work is looking for July, but I'm looking forward to hopefully being able to make it down.

#274727 Pittsburgh War Awareness System

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 13 May 2010 - 09:26 PM in Nerf Wars

Just throwing it out there-- I'm planning on coming too, as long as it is still on Sunday. I'll keep on the lookout for changes, but otherwise, looking forward to seeing everyone then. I have unfortunately been unable to rustle up any other people to come with me, though.

#269516 March Meltdown 2010

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 18 March 2010 - 12:07 PM in Nerf Wars

Unfortunately, I found out today that this trip isn't going to happen for me (unexpected money issues).

Have a great war!

#266512 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 22 February 2010 - 09:42 PM in General Nerf

Yeah, I know the Podcast isn't that great. We had fun making it, and it's not intended to be on par with Foamtalk at all.

I thought it was actually pretty good (lord knows nobody on foamtalk is a professional podcaster either) The original idea behind the podcast was community conversation and collaboration and I'm really happy to see the community taking that idea in many different directions and mixing it up. Hope to hear more!

#266510 Pa Nerf/airsoft Arena Website Added

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 22 February 2010 - 09:33 PM in General Nerf

I'll be pretty interested to see if this gets off the ground. The biggest roadblock in my mind is the fact that Nerf is a brand name-- I'm not sure how Hasbro will feel about someone advertising themselves as a "Nerf arena." I checked out their twitter page and it's referred to, at least once, as an issue, with them using the word "foamdart" until they got permission to use "Nerf." So maybe it already happened.

I admit, though, this is a tantalizing prospect.

Here's the news story:

Business has a shot at success
February 21, 2010|Retail Watch | Scanning the Storefronts

Air rifles send projectiles flying across the room at high velocity and people--at least some--are dressed in commando attire as they return fire and battle it out for bragging rights.

Participants are doing what some may call ''getting their gun off,'' but to the lay folks it's just some of the fun at the new indoor airsoft and Nerf arena called The Grid Code at 1801 Union Blvd. in Allentown.

Owner Leland Fraser got the idea for the facility years ago from his then-13-year-old son, who wanted a place where he and his friends could play with their Nerf guns.
Advertisement

After finding few options for the Nerf battle, Fraser decided to construct one on his own. Now, years later, the place is a reality.

The Grid Code includes a more-than 8,500-square-foot arena decorated like a military training course of tires, camouflage, wooden barricades and old refrigerator boxes.

Players can rent Nerf guns, air rifles and protective gear. Participants are given 30 minutes per game to play with friends or foes in contests that range from an all-out free-for-all to controlled contests.

The Grid Code holds birthday parties, tournaments and summer leagues. The place complements the east Allentown neighborhood, which is turning into something of a sports mecca thanks to Coca-Cola Park, Pig Pen Sports Bar, and now The Grid Code. We just need a skate park or another outdoor venue and then we'll be all set.

story source

#261232 Pow! Pittsburgh Offseason Wars!

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 09 January 2010 - 02:44 AM in Nerf Wars

I see there is a date for it, but any update on what the January POW! war is going to consist of?

Also getting this thread back on the first page of "Nerf Wars"

#259461 Longstrike

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 20 December 2009 - 11:03 PM in General Nerf

I'm working seasonally at Toy's R Us at the moment. Just for fun, I ran the item number through our systems. Nothing in any warehouses or backrooms throughout Pennsylvania. Not that I was expecting it, but there you go.

#259278 March Meltdown 2010

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 17 December 2009 - 10:15 PM in Nerf Wars

Hoping to make the drive for this one, as things aren't too crazy yet for work in March. As the date gets closer, any Pittsburgh nerfers that might want to carpool-- PM me.

#259228 Pow! December

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 17 December 2009 - 09:10 AM in Nerf Wars

I know I said at the last war that I was planning on making it to this one too, but unfortunately, I'm stuck working on Saturday. Hope it's a good war and I look forward to nerfing with everyone in 2010!

#259053 Thrift Stores, And Where To Find Them

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 15 December 2009 - 08:58 AM in General Nerf

You never see any nerf blasters in Ohio thrift stores, Just don't even bother.

Don

Yeah, this is 100% true. I go out to them every once in a while, but I never find anything. Ever. So, if you live in Ohio... just don't even try.

We're just trying to save you time.

Perhaps just because I am buying them all? I've sustained my collection with a ton of thrift store blasters from places all over Ohio. I had to give up a 99 cent scorpion bow, titan, and DTG the last time I was thrifting because the store only accepted cash.

My point is, be persistent. Check stores as often as you can. Don't listen to Coop, he's just trying to get all of the Ohio blasters for himself :D

#257058 Pow! Pittsburgh Offseason Wars!

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 22 November 2009 - 08:38 PM in Nerf Wars

Great war! Thanks to all of the Pittsburgians for making me feel welcome and thanks to Badwrench for making the trip. I'm super excited to nerf more in the area.

Highlights:
-I was worried, but I had a blast rocking the stock raider all day and I think it really reflects well onto the group that I didn't come out full of welts and with no hits. The variety of blasters made for alot of fun rounds and I never felt like I couldn't compete.
-The park was awesome, though my knee is sure feeling it now.
-Jwasko ran into a bar at head level while being chased and didn't pass out.
-For some reason, during the first zombies round, everyone was required to duct tape snacks to themselves. This was incredibly awesome, even if I didn't understand the rules implications involved. This made for one of the funniest rounds of the day, as I randomly grabbed for Twinkies while attempting to convert humans.

Some pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
They are definitely on opposing teams...

Posted Image

Full album here:
http://s374.photobuc...o_nerf/November Pittsburgh 09

#256728 Pow! Pittsburgh Offseason Wars!

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 18 November 2009 - 10:04 PM in Nerf Wars

Bump me up to a definite. See you guys Sunday

I'm going to attempt to pick on up, but just in case, does anyone have a stock maverick I can borrow for the round that requires said blaster?

#256489 Pow! Pittsburgh Offseason Wars!

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 16 November 2009 - 06:39 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm still a maybe, but there is a pretty good chance I'll show up. It pretty much depends on whether or not my girlfriend needs help with some stuff that day.

I'm going to try and bring a trail mix and perhaps some home baked cookies (be forewarned, I make kind of weird cookies)

#255596 Xbox Live Recreational Community House ---

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 07 November 2009 - 01:53 PM in Off Topic

My friend and I shall be on later tonight. ODST or L4D, but I'll post the tag when we're done making it.

/rant

Dude, this thread is about posting your gamertag and organizing games with fellow NH member, not about giving us an update every time you go over to your friends house or shit your pants. Half of this thread is just you rambling about xbox related things. Cool it man, nobody cares about all the minutia you keep posting. I hate to call you out on it, but someone needs to say something.

/end rant

Anyways, I've been playing a ton of Borderlands and I'm looking for some co-op partners. Shoot me a PM if you want to get some time in (preferably evenings). My character is a lvl 25 solider and I can respec between some different jobs fairly easily.

#254841 When Do Nerf Blasters Become Too Powerful?

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 28 October 2009 - 11:08 PM in Homemades

It's been said before, but I think it bears repeating. Blasters become too powerful when everyone stops having fun and nerf wars turn into ridiculous standoffs. I haven't been too active on the war front since early summer, but even at that point we were beginning to run into the "people taking potshots at 90 feet" kind of gameplay.
Since then things on NH definitely have a sort of vibe of an "arms race"as you put it.

It seems that there has been a bit of a nerf paradigm shift, but perhaps not in modification only. Just the fact that I'm beginning to notice more talk about teams dominating wars has me thinking that the general attitude has changed too. The old style of "I don't care who is on my team, I want to nerf" seems to be replaced with "how many +bows can we stack on this team?" I don't think we can really employ any of the "fixes" that have been mentioned because people are going to resist changes that invalidate what blasters/darts they use now. I'm not sure that there is much we can do to combat all this besides encouraging attitudes and behaviors that shift gameplay back towards an emphasis on goofy foam flinging fun.

I've been helping moderate the Ohio University HVZ game (which is going on right now) and we're encountering some of the same kind of attitudes. People are hellbent on winning and will do anything they can to stack it in their favor. I wonder if this whole issue is more about a cultural shift than anything specific to nerf, but that question is way beyond the scope of this particular discussion.

Personally, I think I'm done with my +bow. Much like Dizzy, I'd like to test out my stinging scarab or spend a few rounds reacquainting myself with my powerclip.

#252909 Winter Ohio War 2009

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 08 October 2009 - 06:11 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm a maybe for pretty much any date in December. I'd like to be there, but we'll see if I can manage it.

#252271 Pow! Pittsburgh Offseason Wars!

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 30 September 2009 - 10:07 PM in Nerf Wars

This is a great idea! I've recently moved into the area and I'm hoping to get to as many of these as possible. Unfortunately, I can't make the October one, but as soon as some dates get nailed down for the other months, I will start putting in requests for those days.

#246178 Central Ohio War

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 08 August 2009 - 08:01 PM in Nerf Wars

Great war! I had alot of fun for the rounds I was able to participate in. Sorry for bailing out early, but after the "zombie threesome" round, my collarbone started aching again, so I figured it would be best to stop nerfing.

My only real highlight was listening to Lynx try to direct fire during one of the rounds.

"Shoot the guy in the goggles!"
"They all have goggles!"
"Well then shoot the one with the tight ass!"

Someone else heard it too. Weirdest way to differentiate people ever. Fairly questionable.

Here's the photoalbum
A few pictures:

Posted Image
Group shot, sans Nathan and Lisa

Posted Image
"Look tactical!"

Posted Image
Badwrench running?

Posted Image

Fun times, fun times. It was a good war to end the summer on.

#245769 Central Ohio War

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 06 August 2009 - 10:43 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm still hoping to be there, but my collarbone is still healing, so whether or not I'll actually be nerfing is up in the air. Also, I only have about seven darts, so I either need to find some foam or buy some darts.

#244559 Valhalla 2

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 29 July 2009 - 02:08 PM in Nerf Wars

Goggles-- Is that Fenchak!?

I'm currently a maybe. I'll know by Sunday whether or not I will be employed at that point.

#242651 Central Ohio War

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 19 July 2009 - 08:27 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm a negative on the 1st and a definite on the 8th. I broke my collarbone a bit ago and the 8th will be right at the end of the recommended recovery time.

#237733 Ohio War Planning Thread

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 21 June 2009 - 07:17 AM in Nerf Wars

On either date, I would probably be able to make a late afternoon appearence. 1-2ish.

#237023 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 17 June 2009 - 09:05 PM in General Nerf

Wow, I thoroughly enjoyed episode five.It was really sort of the embodiment of what I imagined a nerf podcast to be. Talio and Brit really made it for me-- I actually giggled with glee when I first heard Brit's kickass accent.

I'm also swearing off blasters that shoot more than sixty feet. Nice job all!

#236586 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 15 June 2009 - 09:01 PM in General Nerf

I heart Badwrench.

Me too. Don rocks.

I'm finally able to get on the internet here (56k ftw?) and I'm pretty fucking pumped to listen to the podcast based on the comments so far.

#234781 My Brute

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 07 June 2009 - 10:08 AM in Off Topic

First off, I realize this is a bit of a necro in a probably much maligned topic, considering that it's just pages and pages of people spamming their brute info. But hopefully this is a meaningful update to anyone playing the game.

That being said, I thought I would let everyone know that the MyBrute iPhone application came out today. It's $4.99 in the app store. It's actually a cool little system that improves some upon the web interface, but it does have some issues: The largest being that you can't import your brute from the website. You have to make a new one through the iPhone. The level of customization they offer, though, softens that blow a bit.

It's still the same game in many respects. But it does seem like your skills actually do affect the battle a little more. The battles now have sounds effects and music, but the whole thing still reeks of operant conditioning.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The other cool thing they offer is dojo's. Basically, this is a clan for the mobile version of the game, but unlike clans, they actually have some sort of benefit. You get to choose a dojo symbol (snake, cat, or bear), which grants you extra bonuses and powers based on what you choose. If you want to join The Flaming Monkeys which is a dojo based on agility, you want to use the code IFFGFHFA at the dojo screen. Joining a dojo grants you double XP for 3 days and the ability to have more than one brute. I think it is the mobile equivalent to a pupil.

Overall, this is a pretty sweet application. I'm crossing my fingers we'll be able to import our brutes from the web at some point, though.

#234748 Columbus Nerf War (june 6th, 2009)

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 07 June 2009 - 12:27 AM in Nerf Wars

This was a great little war and I am glad I could make it, considering it may be a while before I can war again. After Valhalla, it was nice to have a smaller war where things were a bit more relaxed and chill. Unfortunately, my blasters aren't yet back at 100% but hey, whatever. I would still have fun running around out there with a stick.

Pros:
-The field was awesome. Great find Abe and Will. So few people, lots of varied spaces, and a cool aesthetic. Also, lots of shade. I vote we abandon Whetstone for Colerain.
-Seeing some of what is becoming the regular Ohio crew-- Badwrench, Uberkuhlman, Bpso, etc. Ohio rocks.
-Defend the core. First off, props to Angel for coming up with the idea. I think it's a great change of pace and it worked really well outdoors. I hope it becomes one of our gametype staples. It had some issues, but it was an experiment anyway and I had a blast
-The sandwich I had for lunch was delicious

Generally, an awesome war.

A few pictures:

Staging
Posted Image

Table o' guns:
Posted Image

I was only able to snap pictures in the pistol round:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Badwrench's supercharger:
Posted Image

#234743 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 06 June 2009 - 11:42 PM in General Nerf

Bob, thanks for that. I attempted to fix some audio levels for various things and apparently it put everything out of whack. I'm going to attempt and fix it tomorrow and post a new version. I think we also learned that 3-4 people is probably a good amount and that 6 is just way too much.

@everyone with megaupload problems. I apologize, but seriously, you should have adblock plus.

The Mag 7 should definitely do our own podcast and blow this piece of shit out of the water.

Do it. Though, why don't we start with getting you on an episode of this podcast first?

#234459 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 05 June 2009 - 02:09 PM in General Nerf

I'm thinking that might be an issue from trying to raise the volume for some of the voices--I had to split tracks and perhaps the timing went off. If you could post the times in the podcast where you are hearing these issues, I might be able to fix it at some point...

But it's also possible that the multiple people taking at once occurred just because of the sheer number of people we had on the podcast. With that many people, the connection was also taxed and this could explain some of the audio quality problems.

#234403 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 05 June 2009 - 01:37 AM in General Nerf

Episode four was recorded tonight. The podcasters were myself, Ice9, Twitch, Groove, Bobafan, and Ryan McNumbers. The topics were: recapping DCNO and CHANO, More Effeminate war stories from Groove, talking about some upcoming projects from Ryan and Ice9, and some HVZ talk from myself. This thread also popped into the discussion for a bit.

Episode Four

I apologize for the Megaupload link, but we blew through our 15 GB of free monthly bandwidth from Podomatic. It will reset in a few days though and I'll get the fourth episode up through there at that point. Cranky will probably have a better hosted link up soon too, but if you want it now, you'll have to deal with meghupload.

I know a couple people have mentioned various hosting solutions, and if I can get Cranky's help, hopefully we can begin migrating to a legitimate host soon.

Also, The HVZ link I mentioned: No audio
Facebook, with audio

Enjoy! As always, please post your feedback, etc.

#234397 Columbus Nerf War (june 6th, 2009)

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 04 June 2009 - 11:49 PM in Nerf Wars

After hearing about how well FA24's "Defend the core" went at CHANO while recording Foamtalk tonight, I'm really interested in trying it out. I'll probably try to bring all of the supplies needed to play it if we want to test it out for a few rounds.

#234239 Columbus Nerf War (june 6th, 2009)

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 04 June 2009 - 08:36 AM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there, but with only around 50 darts and no backup blasters. I suppose I'll just play till something breaks or I have no darts left.

See you guys on Saturday!

#233585 Columbus Nerf War (june 6th, 2009)

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 31 May 2009 - 12:46 PM in Nerf Wars

I will probably be a "maybe" up until the day of the war-- Just depends on what I can get done beforehand/if I can justify the trip home.

#232994 Blood And Bandages

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 28 May 2009 - 01:25 AM in Modifications

I'm a little confused about how to load the new shells-- Are they threaded, or do you have a threaded attachment that is similiar to the large couplerish thing in the MK 1? What are all the improvements of the new shells?

Besides that, this looks more than fairly awesome. I'm really digging the compact form factor of it and it definitely would have it's uses in indoors/close combat/HVZ settings. Nice job! I hope to replicate one in the near future to test out.

#232105 Nerf In Popular Culture

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 23 May 2009 - 08:53 PM in General Nerf

"How I met your mother" recently had an episode where one of the guys at Marshall's law office was the "toy guy" and a running joke through the episode was that he whipped nerf guns out at random parts of the work day:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#230965 Welkinhawk

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 17 May 2009 - 11:47 PM in Modifications

This makes me regret giving away the three AT1k's I found thrifting. I really like the idea of having a pistol on hand that fires multiple shots without a speedloader-- I commonly find myself going to my sidearm after being rushed and then dying while trying to ramrod a second dart to fire at an enemy that is ten feet away from me. Nice job.

Also, from the IRC chat earlier:

Posted Image

#230004 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 13 May 2009 - 02:46 PM in General Nerf

So I'm a statistics geek. Check some of this out:

Posted Image
Downloads across the globe (wow)

Posted Image
Across the US/Canada

Foamtalk is ranked 328th on Podomatic and went up 3539 spots since episode three was posted!

As always, please post any feedback you have, along with suggestions for future discussion topics. Thanks!

#229934 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 12 May 2009 - 10:08 PM in General Nerf

As of right now, 124 people downloaded the third episode of the podcast...nice!

I know, The download link just plays it in the browser for me.

Right click the download link and save it an an .mp3.

Cranky will soon be posting another download link if you can't get it to work.

#229752 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 12 May 2009 - 03:17 AM in General Nerf

Episode three is completed and can be found (along with our other two episodes) here:

http://foamtalknerf.podomatic.com/

It's the longest of the three episodes we have recorded, but it is jam-packed with nerfy content. I think we're establishing a fairly good rhythm and things are definitely tightening up on the technical side. It was alot of fun to record and hopefully it will be fun to listen to also. I know some people have requested shorter podcasts, but the 1.5 hour podcast is kind of a standard sweet spot and I think it works really well-- Especially considering how little we get truly off topic.

I'm also testing out a new hosting site. The benefit to this one is that it should be easy to download, stream, or subscribe to in iTunes. At the same time, it's got some statistical analysis going on behind the scenes so we can get a better idea of how many people are actually downloading and listening to these podcasts.

A couple show notes:

1. The tank I was talking about can be seen here
2. The e-mail for the contest is foamtalknerf at gmail dot com

As always all feedback is welcome.

Enjoy!

#229344 Human Vs. Zombie Help

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 10 May 2009 - 11:07 AM in Nerf Wars

I'd had to deal with scenarios very similiar to yours at our quarterly HVZ game So far, we've never had a group of humans "win" and a consistent factor of humans making it far has been finding real dick spots (for example, balconies, etc) in which to survive. Even so, I had a couple ideas.

The first thing that came to my mind would be a CPVC flip clip'ed big bad bow. With proper modification, you can probably get stock darts 60-70 feet with the BBB. The flip clip would need a bit of alteration to efficiently use stock darts, but it still does the same thing. While the ROF seems low, it is actually a bit deceptive. Unlike the Tommy 20, etc, you can get a constant stream of darts going without a pause for reloading. Fire. Flip. Fire. Reload. Flip, etc. If you could get around five nerfers competent in that, you can keep the zombies at a distance. The rest of your team would probably need the high ROF weapons like the RF20, Tommy 20, etc.

My other suggestion is just to find good defensible terrain. I realize you said no camping, but scout out the area ahead of time for good choke points, etc. Too many times I've seen humans with great teamwork and skill get taken out because they had their last stand in the middle of a goddamn field.

Good luck!

#228886 Ohio Nerf War

Posted by Jedijoe9 on 07 May 2009 - 08:17 PM in Nerf Wars

Fuck yes for June 6th. I just realized I could justify a trip home to start moving out of my apartment on that day and I don't work until Sunday too.

Also, Whetstone isn't a horrible place to nerf, but I'd sure like some variety. I'll see if I can't come up with any good alternatives in the area.