boisie's Content

There have been 282 items by boisie (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#321967 Nerfers Nerfing Disease

Posted by boisie on 24 September 2012 - 10:11 PM in Off Topic

The constant electricity usage these sorts of programs demand is insane. I'm not a fan of $100 power bills, especially when a dedicated supercomputer can do the same job more efficiently.

Two things:
1. I have never seen a $100 electric bill. Even while living with my family, I kept a check on what I used and paid it out, and total I added $10 a month.
2. A supercomputer can't do this as efficiently. The reason that they're distributing the jobs is so that they can achieve more computational than a single supercomputer could on its own.

These calculations aren't just some run and done program, these are evolving algorithms that have to be run for thousands of iterations. This is a whole different way to program, and reach goals unattainable by standard methods.

#321959 Nerfers Nerfing Disease

Posted by boisie on 24 September 2012 - 05:02 PM in Off Topic

Alright guys, I think we should get another one of these competitions going. I've gotten big on folding during the winter for Overclock.net, and seeing my original team stagnate isn't too much fun. It's not too hard to make big numbers these days, all you need is a good CPU/GPU and maybe 15 minutes to set it up. I spent about an hour setting up a CPU client, and two GPU clients on one machine last night, and with its points per day I'd be top of the list in about 10 days. Can I at least see a little competition? It's all for a good cause, and any computer, desktop or laptop, made in the past few years can make some big numbers. If we can get some things going, I'd totally pitch in on some prizes.

EDIT: Looking back on much of this thread, a lot has changed in the past couple years.

Specifically:
1 client can run on as many threads as you have available.
-Core 2 Duo, Pentium Dual Core, AMD Athlon/Phenom x2 - 2 threads
-Core 2 Quad, Core i3/i5, AMD Quad Core Athlon/Phenom/Fusion, AMD FX-4xxx - 4 threads
-AMD Phenom x6 - 6 Threads
-Core i7 - 8 threads
-i7-39xx, Xeon brands - 8+ (If you own one, you should know this)
The more threads, the higher your points per day, and the faster your processor, the higher your points per day.

AMD cards make better PPD than an older processor, but nVidia cards are the kings of GPU folding. If you have an nVidia card from the 88xx, 9xxx, 2xx, 4xx, 5xx, or 6xx models, You can make at least 5k points per day with it. AMD cards in general make about half as much as an nVidia card, although the GPU3 client has decreased the gap a bit.

It's especially easy, and if your room gets cold in the winter, this will change that. I fold as a space heater as much as the competition in computing e-peen.

#321596 Columbus War 4.4

Posted by boisie on 12 September 2012 - 11:49 PM in Nerf Wars

I was hoping that allowing hot glue domes would motivate new/more people to come because their materials are easier to find. I'm glad you said that.

I'll send you a message when we're finding the date for our November Columbus War to check with available dates. I usually message a few potential attendees to check dates before I make the thread.

Sweet, I'm definitely down for some cold weather welts. I'd say I'll invite Vistagecko, but he's sold most of his stuff and joined the Marines. Definitely let me know though, I miss destroying my perfectly good plastic toys to make them better.

#321559 Columbus War 4.4

Posted by boisie on 11 September 2012 - 08:09 PM in Nerf Wars

Hey guys, long time no post.

I came here hoping that there'd be a war coming up so I could get some testing in before we start HvZ here at BGSU, but sadly you guys chose a day I have to march a game. Just wanted to let you know that I'm glad to see not everyone has lost their balls, and domes are allowed however. I was never satisfied with the washer dart ranges and accuracy, and the materials for them truly aren't as readily available as hot glue and a pack of BBs.

I'll make sure to watch my schedule just in case cause I'd love to come down. Hope you guys have fun!

#294244 Slugs And Domes And Taggers, Oh My!

Posted by boisie on 09 February 2011 - 12:04 AM in General Nerf

I'm sorry, but I actually would prefer to come home with a few more welts than to waste my money buying supplies and tossing away what I already use and have paid for. Some may think that $20 can be thrown around like nothing, even borrowed from your parents, but other people are much more careful with money. My biweekly paycheck is currently just over $220. Out of that, I estimate that $20 will go to buying gas for my car, $50 to use for food, and the other $150 into my savings to pay for college, a new exhaust manifold and electrical work for my car, and replacement parts on my bike. I already have the three bags of hot glue, 2000 BBs, and a few hundred feet of foam from a year ago. Unless someone wants to trade everything I have for equivalent number of quality slugs, weighted the same, and guaranteed to last as long as a stefan, I'll stick with what I've payed for already.

On fbr tips, I have tried that. Each one curved at least ten feet off target in a random direction. You need a machine shop to make one very consistent, as shown by Kane and his aluminum block setup.

Back to the welts, we used to finish off rounds laughing and comparing welts. Is everyone on this site a sheltered kid now? The only reason for a safer dart I can think of would be to not damage the eyes. I'm pretty sure we covered that with eye protection requirements.

#294139 Slugs And Domes And Taggers, Oh My!

Posted by boisie on 07 February 2011 - 11:38 PM in General Nerf

I personally think people should suck it up and use the darts that the war tells them to. People should stop bitching and get with the times.

Are you saying that I should also stop using couplers, breeches, and RSCBs in favor of a hopper because they are the newest thing? Let us come back to one of my main arguments: Not everyone has a source.

The only major change in darts that has occurred in the past 15 years that I've read about seems to be refining the original method of creating stefans, and moving down from megas to micros. Slug came up with his darts as a personal alternative, not a replacement for all darts. He never says they are the only thing people should be using. I'll take a twenty foot shot from a BBBB with a dome covered dart any day.

#294131 Slugs And Domes And Taggers, Oh My!

Posted by boisie on 07 February 2011 - 10:51 PM in General Nerf

Straight out of the thread. I guess nerf will soon become regulated just like paintball and airsoft, but instead of the government doing it, our fellow players are.

Dome darts are as safe, or safer, than the average slug when made correctly. A hole is burned into the foam, creating a well. You should then add some glue to the bottom, drop in your weight, then glue to the top of the hole, then create your dome. This not only covers the weight, but secures it into the foam. The only way I've ever seen a BB come out of a dart is after being fired from a BBBB into a brick wall at the 2009 Winter Columbus War.

As for felt dots, has it ever occurred that not everyone has a source? Not all people can order things willy nilly online, and my local arts stores don't supply felt dots. Another drawback of the slugs, they cannot be weighted correctly for some people. The closest washer I have found around my area was an sixteenth of an inch too wide on each side. The next closest was a sixteenth of an inch too narrow on each side. The first wouldn't fit into my barrels. The second fishtailed out of my AR removed raider. Neither gave me any reason to use slugs. A third reason, not everyone has the most powerful blasters. I myself prefer to run around with an Eliminator as my primary, and a Longshot as my secondary. I don't believe an eliminator has ever hurt anyone, and my Longshot barely hits 80' on a good day.

Slugs are not an equalizer, but cause decrease in range from almost any weapon. This may be fine with +bows, rainbows, and other high powered blasters, but it leaves those of us who prefer to be unique and use what you most likely consider "less common" blasters to be taken out first, unless they are extremely good at dodging high speed darts being launched from out of their blaster's range.

#294084 The Ohio Revolution

Posted by boisie on 07 February 2011 - 05:09 PM in Nerf Wars

Alright, I'm going to be plain and simple here. The banning of BB darts is stupid. I understand slingshot weights, as I've gotten a nice welt with one of those that lasted a while.

Dome darts are as safe, or safer, than the average slug when made correctly. A hole is burned into the foam, creating a well. You should then add some glue to the bottom, drop in your weight, then glue to the top of the hole, then create your dome. This not only covers the weight, but secures it into the foam. The only way I've ever seen a BB come out of a dart is after being fired from a BBBB into a brick wall at the 2009 Winter Columbus War.

As for felt dots, has it ever occurred that not everyone has a source? Not all people can order things willy nilly online, and my local arts stores don't supply felt dots. Another drawback of the slugs, they cannot be weighted correctly for some people. The closest washer I have found around my area was an sixteenth of an inch too wide on each side. The next closest was a sixteenth of an inch too narrow on each side. The first wouldn't fit into my barrels. The second fishtailed out of my AR removed raider. Neither gave me any reason to use slugs. A third reason, not everyone has the most powerful blasters. I myself prefer to run around with an Eliminator as my primary, and a Longshot as my secondary. I don't believe an eliminator has ever hurt anyone, and my Longshot barely hits 80' on a good day.

Slugs are not an equalizer, but cause decrease in range from almost any weapon. This may be fine with +bows, rainbows, and other high powered blasters, but it leaves those of us who prefer to be unique and use what you most likely consider "less common" blasters to be taken out first, unless they are extremely good at dodging high speed darts being launched from out of their blaster's range.

If I am in attendance, I plan to use my already made stock of darts. It's not an aging technology, it's just another way to do things.

#292113 Nerf Dart Tag Quick 16

Posted by boisie on 02 January 2011 - 10:55 PM in General Nerf

Is it just me, or does the Mag look like its been raised a bit?

When I zoom in on that pic, It looks like the magazine/clip is vertically oriented... and off center.
The nature of Dart tag blasters leads me to believe that you have to load each dart manually. Look up the Striker reloading sequece from Modern Warfare 2, you'll see what I mean.

It's a reshelled raider. It's off center because the raider internals are built for a side load clip.

#291745 Quick Question About Leds...

Posted by boisie on 29 December 2010 - 12:48 AM in Modifications

D batteries run at 1.5 volts just like AAs as I recall. Therefore, find LEDs that are rated above the voltage your stampede uses, and hook them up.

#290782 "nerf Nation" Shirts

Posted by boisie on 12 December 2010 - 11:57 PM in General Nerf

While you have a good point, Coop, I don't believe NH would qualify as a "Promotional Website."

If I had money... Cause I just bought an extra Longshot that I could put into one.

#290478 Ohio Winter Break War

Posted by boisie on 08 December 2010 - 09:10 PM in Nerf Wars

I like the idea of the 18th. I think the past two here over break were on the 16th and 17th, so why not just make it a tradition? Third saturday of december every year?

#290477 Columbus War 2.2

Posted by boisie on 08 December 2010 - 09:01 PM in Nerf Wars

Alright, i just lost my chance to go. My two rides bailed on me yesterday. I will be attending the fort war no matter what though.

#290351 Fbr Question

Posted by boisie on 07 December 2010 - 01:27 AM in Darts and Barrels

I used some once. Worst buy ever. The stuff has an extremely sticky coating on the outside, and even with time in the dryer, or hairdryer, never straightened or stiffened up. This is the FBR equivalent to a hot dog covered in superglue.

#290216 Columbus War 2.2

Posted by boisie on 05 December 2010 - 11:44 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm a definite, and I'm pretty sure I'll be giving ggk and vistagecko a ride. Gotta get confirmation from them.

#290110 Underground

Posted by boisie on 05 December 2010 - 12:48 AM in Nerf Wars

I will not be attending as it's two states away, but just a suggestion, put all important information in a neat, organized fashion in the first post. This helps keep the entire thread organized, and gives people a quick reference. Look at some other threads about upcoming nerf wars for what I'm talking about.

#289036 Nerf Q&a

Posted by boisie on 27 November 2010 - 12:48 AM in General Nerf

I'd like to see some Air piston blasters, the Rf20 is ~10 years old and that's the most recent piston blaster. Springers are great, but they're not the only type of blaster in town..

I think you are forgetting the Magstrike, eh?

I would like more non clip, single shot guns in particular. There is only so much you can do with a nitefinder. It seems that to get anywhere with a single shot gun, you've got to shell out some serious cash for an older blaster, or move a lot closer to the homemades side than I think would count as simply modification.

#289019 Ohio Winter Break War

Posted by boisie on 26 November 2010 - 10:57 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm a big fan, because I especially have trouble getting any of my guns to fire more than 80'. Not even my homemades, which I build exactly as they should be.

I'm also a fan of running around with an eliminator and getting sneaky kills, but never mind that.

#289014 Ohio Winter Break War

Posted by boisie on 26 November 2010 - 10:50 PM in Nerf Wars

Any of those dates, with the possible exception of the 17th. Not too sure if I'll be out of school on that friday, but I believe I will be.

#288730 Ladies And Gentlemen...the Fart Dart

Posted by boisie on 22 November 2010 - 04:45 PM in General Nerf

ModSquad, you're retarded. No offense, but he clearly said that it makes noises from the nuclear symbol in the original post.

As for internals, I think a replacement with homemade internals for a pump action fart gun is a good choice.

#288665 It's A War 3 (foam Ninja Doesn't Do It Right)

Posted by boisie on 20 November 2010 - 06:34 PM in Nerf Wars

Sorry guys, I wish I could have gone. I tried everything to convince them to let me go, including having them drive with us, but they took a shit on my hopes and dreams of foam flinging fun.

#288548 It's A War 3 (foam Ninja Doesn't Do It Right)

Posted by boisie on 18 November 2010 - 12:13 AM in Nerf Wars

My kitchen table is now filled with three piles: Blanks (Crappily Cut), Blanks (Clean Cut), and scraps. Thank's vista, you're great at cutting foam. Now to find a thousand BBs to make these five hundred darts, and find time to get a secondary working, other than my eliminator. Plus I have to redo all my barrels, and vista's barrels to fit the new darts we made. All over the course of five hours in a mitsubishi eclipse.

Fuck.

Can't wait to see you all there.

#288468 It's A War 3

Posted by boisie on 15 November 2010 - 10:23 PM in Nerf Wars

Gecko's got his sites confused again. I'm the poizone he's talking about.

#282902 Community Snap Thread

Posted by boisie on 12 August 2010 - 01:47 AM in Homemades

I've always thought that any sort of pump or slide priming should be done in a two part assembly. The priming rod, and the pump. The pump would push back the priming rod, then be able to return to the starting position, not unlike a recon slide. I just think it would be more aesthetically pleasing, and also save on possible minor injury when the grip comes flying forward.

#281184 Columbus War 2.1

Posted by boisie on 24 July 2010 - 11:09 PM in Nerf Wars

Maybe for Me and Vista

#269242 Neono #3

Posted by boisie on 15 March 2010 - 08:16 PM in Nerf Wars

lol vista, wrong name.

#259604 Winter Ohio War Take 2

Posted by boisie on 22 December 2009 - 10:57 PM in Nerf Wars

Sorry to say but I'll be at the Dallas Cotton Bowl playing in the huge band.

#258745 Winter Ohio War 2009

Posted by boisie on 12 December 2009 - 03:49 PM in Nerf Wars

Great war. This field is one of my favorite, although whetstone does have the advantage of at least one person falling into the stream during the day. Great games of zombies were played, many skilled and accurate shots were doled out, especially the many through the bars. My stuff performed well, and I didn't have the misfortune of having to do mid war repairs. Everyone was nice, we got along, and I'd have to say this is my favorite war that I've been too. Sorry I couldn't stay longer, and Twitch, sorry for clipping your glasses. Kind of.

#258068 Winter Ohio War 2009

Posted by boisie on 05 December 2009 - 11:48 AM in Nerf Wars

Yes +1

#257861 Winter Ohio War 2009

Posted by boisie on 02 December 2009 - 09:34 PM in Nerf Wars

Maybe.

And Vista should be getting his lazy ass on here soon to tell you guys his response.

#233998 Vos Pistol

Posted by boisie on 02 June 2009 - 05:33 PM in Homemades

May I suggest trying a slightly longer barrel? It seems like it should be able to go quite a bit further than 5" for barrel length.

#233670 Vos Pistol

Posted by boisie on 31 May 2009 - 08:29 PM in Homemades

Increase barrel length definitely.I would love to see one of these with a barrel somewhere around seven inches.

And I'd also love to see a primary edition with a +bow spring and a larger plunger. This is just about my favorite PVC homemade ever.

#232845 Nerf Rapid Fire 20 Single Shot?

Posted by boisie on 27 May 2009 - 03:17 PM in Modifications

Save the spring, bladder, and pump. They are useful. And the trigger valve and rapid fire valve are great parts too.

#232838 Nerf Rapid Fire 20 Single Shot?

Posted by boisie on 27 May 2009 - 03:02 PM in Modifications

Choping the piston was what caused your issues with range. You should have just removed the turret. The piston and chamber are what build up pressure. You may as well just buy a new one.

EDIT: Reread your post, and you didn't think about reading about the RF20 at all. The bladder gives a weak but large volume of air. The spring allows pressure to build, and then escape through the tiny hole on the front. You just fucked up your rf20 big time by what you said.

#232292 Singled Longshot Help

Posted by boisie on 24 May 2009 - 06:17 PM in Modifications

Lubricate and use a better fit for your darts. Really. I have an LS+NF spring longshot that I singled and it got 60ft ranges. Now I chopped it down so all it is is the one small section of cpvc, and I'm breaking through vinyl tarps. Not too hard if you don't give a shit about looks.

#231655 Rainbow Highway Nerf Run June 27 2009

Posted by boisie on 21 May 2009 - 07:34 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm a maybe. Depends on if I have to work.

#224675 Valhalla

Posted by boisie on 21 April 2009 - 12:26 AM in Nerf Wars

I will be unavailable, but you have my regards, and possibly even some of my weapons this time around. Gecko may need some for his guests.

Please remove me from all lists. Hope to see you guys next year.

#222014 Ebay Filter (tweaked)

Posted by boisie on 06 April 2009 - 04:44 PM in General Nerf

It failed miserably for me. It brought 58 items from a toys and hobby's category search. And it failed to get many nerf blasters that uriels got.

#221064 Successful Rear-loading Maverick.

Posted by boisie on 01 April 2009 - 03:32 PM in Modifications

How about removing the rounded shroud that blocks the rear of the turret in the first place. That way you don't even need to pull the turret out to reload. Just shove a dart in and go.

#220913 Valhalla

Posted by boisie on 31 March 2009 - 04:57 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm a maybe for the night war, but don't expect it. I'm also a maybe for the war on the 26th. Definately not the 25th though. Lifeguard training takes quite a while I guess.