penguin807's Content

There have been 344 items by penguin807 (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#193565 Massacre

Posted by penguin807 on 02 December 2008 - 08:07 PM in Nerf Wars

Guys, I hate you. A lot. December 13th? I can think of 2 significant things about that date. 1. It's the date that Venus and Earth complete some sort of 8 year cycle, and all the times Venus and Earth lined up together in that cycle makes a pentagram. More on this here (was it intentional?). And 2. It's the date of a show for freaking musical I'm assistant stage manager for, and I can't miss it. I'd invite you guys, but you seem to have a Nerf war to go to.

#189703 Wcno Numero 2

Posted by penguin807 on 14 November 2008 - 03:24 PM in Nerf Wars

Yeah, I should be able to come. I like to think I'm not a pussy anymore, which greatly increases the chance of me showing up. I'll try and round up some others, but I imagine I'll only be able to get 1 or 2. A bit off topic, but am I the only one who can't reload in gloves? How do you do it?

#186496 A Gift.

Posted by penguin807 on 30 October 2008 - 05:00 PM in Modifications

What a nice gun. I really have to go to Bass Pro and pick a Pump Shotgun up. I believe I'm going to snatch one sometime in the near future. Need a primary anyway (BBBs are stupid sometimes).

Before I get one, other than the catch needing to be reinforced, are there any notable problems that a Pump Action Shotgun has?

Excellent job on that beauty regardless.

#185562 What Costume Are You People Wearing For Halloween?

Posted by penguin807 on 25 October 2008 - 10:03 PM in Off Topic

My brother and I were originally going to be these guys and hand out candy to kids, and chase away annoying teenagers (no, not the ones who legitimately want free candy... you know which ones I'm talking about) with light sabers, but apparently Fabric Land wants to be stupid and not carry the right kind of fleece.

Not sure what to be now, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick to my guns. Yes the box.

#185529 Hell Before Halloween. #2

Posted by penguin807 on 25 October 2008 - 06:14 PM in Nerf Wars

Ha. Hope you guys did enough Nerfing for me too. I'm really disappointed I didn't get to go AGAIN. I was taking a vacation from Nerf, and I intended to stop vacationing at the beginning of October, but I was WAY too busy. I kid you not, I did the math and I had an average of 5 projects due a week for all of this month so far. Anyway, I'm back again, and ready to contribute for real this time.

A little off topic, but just so I don't get a bad reputation for not showing up to wars, I admit it, back when I was going to “wcno” I DID have my grandfathers birthday party I had to attend to, but I was just using that as an excuse. Attempting to sound as manly as I possibility can, I was a little intimidated and I bailed out. If I really wanted to I could've made it. No more crap from me.

You guys better have had a good time though. And just so I can be a pest, was there filming?

#162472 Zero Punctuation

Posted by penguin807 on 11 July 2008 - 11:41 PM in Off Topic

I dunno, the fact that he said that you start off with a tranquilizer gun that can knock people out where ever you shoot them in MGS4 indicates that he started off with the easy gun because he started playing on very easy mode (am I mistaken?) kinda made me question his credibility to judge the game play on games.

I guess he's kind of funny sometimes... but that's all I can say about him.

EDIT: CRAP. Upon watching it again, I am fairly sure he was refering to the mk.2. I suppose it is time to blame the defensive metal gear fanboy side of me and go drink some lemonade.

#157440 Universal Range Testing

Posted by penguin807 on 29 May 2008 - 10:18 PM in General Nerf

Very true Badger.

But the whole reason we post ranges here in the NIC is to share to others about the power of the blaster, but of course most of the ranges you see around here are complete nonsense. The goal of this was not to instituite a new system that will revolutionize the way members post about ranges, it was just an oppinion about how I think ranges should be measured to inform those who aren't aware, or to those who know and just plain don't do it.

But in the end (as you stated) it all matters about skill in a Nerf war.

#157425 Universal Range Testing

Posted by penguin807 on 29 May 2008 - 09:08 PM in General Nerf

So, I learned a valuable lesson tonight when actually measuring my LS' range. IT DOES NOT SHOOT 80 feet. More like 40 (It's decently modified too). I also learned that every single range claim I have posted on this site has been an exaduration.

I think it is time to come up with a universal range testing system.

Here are the things I think that should be done when you are seeing how far your Nerf gun shoots.

1. Use a 100ft measure reel for your ranges. Not your foot, not your step, not a ruler, a 100ft tape measure reel. They can be picked up at any hardware store or ordered online. They look like this.

Posted Image

2. Do not pick up the best made darts from your collection for the range test. During a Nerf war, you won't have time to rummage through your pockets searching for your best made Stefans.

3. For your range testing, pick up at least 10 darts from your collection for the testing

4. Get a friend, mom, brother, or some other person to vouch for your range claim and make sure when you're firing your blaster that the barrel is parallel to the ground. That's means a 0 degree angle.

5. Lay out your tape measure reel. All 100 feet of it. If you don't have room in your backyard, go to a park or something.

6. Load your dart (s) into your barrel (s) like you would in a Nerf war. That means no ram roding. Now do you understand the practicality of a breach or coupler?

7. Once you get an OK from your range testing buddy, pull the trigger.

8. Repeat 6 & 7 until you have no remaining darts.

9. Walk along your tape measure reel until you find your first dart. Record the range and move on until you get to your last dart.

10. Repeat steps 6-9 one more time

11. Now you have your ranges for ONE day.

12. If you want to be super accurate with your ranges (you do) repeat all steps during randomly chosen times in the week.

Suggestions or concerns?

#157108 Different Doubled Nightfinder With A Paintjob

Posted by penguin807 on 26 May 2008 - 08:53 PM in Modifications

I'm not gonna lie, your range claims bug the crap outta me, but your paintjobs and mods are absolutely sexy. Great job.

#157106 Primary Ranges

Posted by penguin807 on 26 May 2008 - 08:44 PM in General Nerf

My old BBB got 80' consistently, and on a really good day 90' consistantly. But now it's dead. I'll give you all some advice; never leave some weird 6 year old relative that you've never met with your opened Big Bad Bow and some needle nose pliers alone. Very ugly stuff happens.

My other old primary (which is also dead, but not by the hands of some weird 6 year old relative that I've never met. It got the infamous "Clips don't advance anymore" problem) got about 44'. It was a Magstrike.

But my current primary... is non existent... I need a new one. It gets the average range of a non existent primary...

#157059 Favorite Video Game Weapon

Posted by penguin807 on 26 May 2008 - 05:00 PM in Off Topic

The Cigar Gas-Spray from Snake eater or Perhaps the Megabuster.

But my all time favourite would have to be Goemon's mech from "Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon". I mean it's a robot... With an afro!

#156583 Summer

Posted by penguin807 on 21 May 2008 - 10:09 PM in Off Topic

June 20th. And man I can't wait to get out of that God forsaken school.

In terms of what I'm going to do in the summer, I'm hopefully going to build a +bow, complete Cpt. Cataquack (my Manta), build an arcade cabinet, go to my cousins wedding in BC, get some more people into Nerf, have a superman 64 fight (who ever gets hit with it first has to beat the game in one sitting), get in better shape for a super cool martial art I will be taking some time next year, sleep, go to my cottage, and of course, .

Still need to preorder my copy

#156048 The Official Nerf Haven Aussie Nerf Thread

Posted by penguin807 on 17 May 2008 - 12:48 PM in General Nerf

I'm aware that you're attempting to create a useful resource for Australian Nerfers, but we already have a thread devoted to where to find Nerf blasters here. I apologize if that came off as backseat moderating. I also apologize about apologizing. It bothers me too.

We also have a where to buy modding materials thread. I'm sure you can find that without my assistance.

#155200 A Breath Of Fresh Air

Posted by penguin807 on 08 May 2008 - 08:31 PM in News

I really wish I could get out and Nerf more, but there's a lack of Canadian wars.

Yeah... Sorry about that. The church people were kinda like "durr... you wanted access to our washrooms? OH! I thought you said you wanted the people attending your event to crap on the front porch!"

I also tried to rent out the Lazer quest place in Richmond Hill, but I think accidentally pressing "send" before I completed the letter kinda made them decide they shouldn't let me do it... I'm still working on it.

A bit more on topic: the summer is a brilliant time to Nerf people. Get your friends into it and stop complaining about how "nobody Nerfs around you". And unfortunately, unless I find a way to travel to the US, I will not be attending APOC or DCNO, but I will make it out to any Ontario wars. Heck I'll walk there if I need to.

#154584 The Brink Of Frustration

Posted by penguin807 on 04 May 2008 - 01:43 PM in General Nerf

I say we just directly call out members who need to shape up.

I say we don't. That will achieve nothing but pointless flames between people who can't take criticizing well.

In regards to the topic, I agree with Badger on all of this. I suggest to people who have only modded Nerf blasters or had an occasional war in a backyard to take a break from NerfHaven and actually Nerf. I did, and holy crap. You're really missing out if the only wars you've had are between you and a friend or two in your basement.

If more people were to do the above, we'd have less stupid posts, and more posts that have things to do with Nerfing. All the time people complain about how nobody Nerfs around your area. But they do not realise that the reason that is, is because they're lazy butts and want for other people to do all the work for them. I mean seriously, in a month or two I have gotten enough people into Nerf to form a clan.

#154502 Fine Melee Weapons I Make

Posted by penguin807 on 03 May 2008 - 10:04 PM in Off Topic

Dang those are sexy. Sexy enough to inspire me to attempt to make my own. Probably not go as far as start to LARP, but definitely sneak up behind people and hit them. Seriously though, nice freaking job.

But on a more serious note (only half kidding), how many ladies have you gotten by your mad sword making skills? If its not at least 13 a day I think you should boffer them.

#154388 Oh My Gosh

Posted by penguin807 on 03 May 2008 - 11:12 AM in General Nerf

First off, I'm not sure if finding out about new Nerf guns are good finds or not. All that repeated speculation really gets on my nerves, but good job on finding it none the less.

Secondly, if you guys click on Philote's link and then all of a sudden the forum layout gets really weird, don't start a new thread about it. Go to "Options" right under the "New Topic" button, and click on "standard". And I swear if there's a new topic about the forum layout being all weird, someone's going to get their kneecaps broken.

#154036 Small Screws

Posted by penguin807 on 30 April 2008 - 05:02 PM in Modifications

I'm unsure of your problem. Is it that your screwdriver is too wide to fit down the hole with the screw in it? Or is it that all your screwdrivers are too big for the screw head?

Regardless, just buy a good set of screwdrivers and you won't have this problem anymore. I have this one and the bottom 2 fit most if not all of the screws in Nerf guns.

Or if those 2 aren't your problem, use a "diamond wheel" Dremel attachment and cut where the 2 halves of the gun meet where the screw is. OTAN may still be selling them

#150678 Potential Newmarket War

Posted by penguin807 on 12 April 2008 - 12:23 PM in Nerf Wars

Okay, so as it stands, the church folk are being really pissy with dates and stuff, and they aren't going to let us use the washrooms or drinking fountain.

Would anyone object to me finding a different (and better) war site?

#150383 Potential Newmarket War

Posted by penguin807 on 10 April 2008 - 03:42 PM in Nerf Wars

415 Pickering Crescent
Newmarket, Ontario
L3Y 4X7

I'll try and get pictures of the area we would be Nerfing in Tomorrow or Saturday.

#150379 Potential Newmarket War

Posted by penguin807 on 10 April 2008 - 03:35 PM in Nerf Wars

So, I've just received permission from a local church to Nerf around and in the forest behind their building. But why the "Potential" is in the title is because they need dates, and until I have received the phone call from one of the pastors confirming that its alright, I don't want to say it will happen under any circumstances.

Here's a picture of the outside of the church http://www.northridg...com/Church3.gif.

Now give me dates that work for you. I'm thinking mid May to early June.

#150320 Your Biggest Nerf Regret

Posted by penguin807 on 09 April 2008 - 10:26 PM in General Nerf

Finding 3 (yes 3) Xbows at value village and then realizing that I had left my wallet in the movie theater.

It (the wallet) was gone when I went back.

:( :blink: :o :(

I'm not sure if I can belive that. Even if there were 3 Xbows there, I would've thought that a sane person would take them and hide the "gold in plastic form" behind a couch or something, and come back with money the next day.

But anyway another regret of mine so we can stay on topic.

Leaving my SSII opened up, only to never find it again... because it was in the garbage... No I haven't let that go yet.

#150252 Your Biggest Nerf Regret

Posted by penguin807 on 09 April 2008 - 04:31 PM in General Nerf

Definitely turning down buying an SM5K and a Crossbow (different occasions) from some people who were going to college. It was before I started to have Nerf wars, and I didn't know any better.

Early spring Nerf war in Mississauga supposed to be organized by Hexen. Never happened.

Fear not my young Padawan. A spring Newmarket war SHOULD be coming up soon.

#149935 Dayko's Nf Crossbow Plunger

Posted by penguin807 on 07 April 2008 - 07:32 PM in Modifications

I'm kinda surprised that no one has mentioned fishin' glue yet.

Why not use that, then bend some sheet metal around where the 2 plunger tubes meet and then apply more fishin' glue to the sheet metal?

EDIT: Oh... Plunger RODS. Got it. Sorry. Feel free to ignore the above.

#148392 Big Blast 2 Pack Only $15!

Posted by penguin807 on 31 March 2008 - 05:34 PM in General Nerf

http://www.toysrus.c...oductId=2945590

Need I say more?

Edit: for those of you in Canada, I found the deal in stores too, so check there before, so you don't have to worry about shipping.

#145394 My New Pc

Posted by penguin807 on 16 March 2008 - 01:09 PM in Off Topic

...I thought it was going to be about a Powerclip.

Thanks for mocking me withut realizing...

But back on topic; I'm cool with your new computer as long as it's not alienware. Other than that, nice PC.

#145245 Suggestions For Lan/online Multiplayer Games

Posted by penguin807 on 15 March 2008 - 04:46 PM in Off Topic

I own the Dreamcast version of Armageddon, and the PC version of World party. I can safely say that Worms World party is about 1000x better. More options for customizing your game (Infinite Holy hand grenades for the win!), more levels, a better level editing system. They pretty much improved on Armageddon in every possible way. If you're going to get a worms game, get that one. But be warned, I haven't been able to find a website that still hosts the online version of it in quite a while.

Another awesome game that I can recommend is Defcon. It's not really one of those games where you can sit down and play for 10 minutes, but it's still amazing.

#145225 Fitted Holster Shorts (fhs)

Posted by penguin807 on 15 March 2008 - 01:40 PM in General Nerf

Pretty sweet. I may just have to try that out with my own little modifacations.

To everyone who doesn't have a 1st gen NF: I may have just found a solution for your dilemma. It was originally used for a Lazer Tag blaster, but I'm sure it could be modified to fit our needs. Link

#145172 Yet Another Homemade Manta Shell

Posted by penguin807 on 14 March 2008 - 11:11 PM in Homemades

Cracker monkeys and jam...

As you can see I'm bumping this. Why? Because I have an update!

I've been so freaking busy with crappy life nonsense that I've had no time to work on Capt. Cataquack (I've named him!). And then it's finally spring break. But what's this? My drill is broken? My Dremel can't fit the drill bit that I was using? Dang.

I won't be able to buy another drill for a little while now, as I have potential Nerfy goodness that I'm buying from a bunch of university students.

Capt. Cataquack will have to wait for a little while...

Hopefully a less disappointing update next time.

#143677 Nerfing Stories?

Posted by penguin807 on 03 March 2008 - 06:35 PM in Off Topic

Well, my cousin was taking a shower, and his brother noticed my fairly sizeable arsenal of Nerf guns. Being the mean family we are, we decided to load up on the holy-crap-ROF ones, and shoot him when he got out. I believe there was a Maverick, a MS, a WF, a Tommy 20 and a RF20. Anyway after 15min we started to get impatient and so my cousin just decided to run in and bombard him with the WF and RF20. Apparently he hit him 34 times. On bare skin. It was probably the 2nd funniest Nerfing related incident ever.

At Cmdrmack: If you for what ever reason are going to break up with her, before you do, convince her to give me that SSII... The same cousin who was pelted with darts mistakenly threw out mine. Yeah. Shut up.

At stick: Just make sure she doesn't type in freaking purple text.

#143655 Hi Nerf Fans...

Posted by penguin807 on 03 March 2008 - 04:28 PM in Off Topic

That seriously sucks. I've been though pretty crappy times, but none of them impacted my memory. Get well soon.

Suggestion time! Watch Escaflowne. Your avatar is the main character (or at least one of them) of the series, so I assume you've watched it before. That may trigger some memories of what was happening when you were watching it. If you've never seen it before and just picked your avatar because you thought it looked cool, watch it anyways. It's a good series.

Also, watch B movies. Lots of them... seriously.

#142673 Jspb Max Fire & Biomech

Posted by penguin807 on 26 February 2008 - 06:58 PM in Homemades

It wasn't until the last post that I was sure these guns were real. Those pictures just made them even more unreal. I'd like to know how you made those. Just regular Photoshop or something else?

So confused... Was that just a terrible joke or did you actually mean it? 3DBBQ is absolutely 100% legit. He makes killer homemades, and makes us crap our pants by showing them off here. Here is his website.

More on topic, some people are Microsoft fan boys, some people are Sony fan boys... I'm a 3DBBQ fan boy... Excellent homemades and paint jobs. The Biomech is kinda scary.

#142397 Yet Another Homemade Manta Shell

Posted by penguin807 on 24 February 2008 - 06:00 PM in Homemades

Your genius astounds me: Tupperware lids for the win! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Haha yeah... Speaking of Tupperware lids, I found out why we were throwing them out in the first place. Some of them are over 20 years old...

Nice work so far! Looking forward to seeing that "scale" pattern when you have it all put together.

What's your plan for the craft foam?

Thanks. I'm going to "borrow" Bags' idea with the craft foam, which is putting it on the bottom of the Manta shell so what's left of the zip ties don't kill me. Of course I'm going to try and make it look sexy at the same time.

To Lax: Thank you. But just don't steal from your mom's good Tupperware collection!

On the topic of updates, I really only have one tiny one, which is I bought craft foam and zip ties today.

Posted Image

I was out doing things all day, so I didn't have any time to work on it, but I'm going to do as much work as possible tonight without letting my school project be forgotton about. Hopefully another update late tonight.

#142347 Yet Another Homemade Manta Shell

Posted by penguin807 on 24 February 2008 - 01:12 AM in Homemades

The Manta Ray has been my dream blaster ever since I started Nerfing, so having the opportunity to not only have a Manta, but also to BUILD a Manta got me very giddy. So before I start dishing out all the information on my semi complete Manta Ray, I would like to thank Baghead for inspiring me to fabricate one of my own.

I was looking for some paper that I could draw my template on, when I stumbled across a turquoise organizing file. I grabbed it, ran down stairs and (while the file was still folded in two) drew half a Manta on it (You'll see). The drawing was WAY out of proportion, so I cut it down to fit the dimensions that would be allowed in a war. After that I drew "scales" on my template (still while folded in two), numbered them, and cut them out. Then I had perfectly symmetrical scales that would eventually make up my Manta.

The Manta Ray scales were numbered. There ended up being 46. Here's a picture of them laid out to give me a basic idea of what it was to look like.

Posted Image

The next step was to find a material that was sturdy, but did not require more than heavy duty scissors to cut. I was looking in my garage for some sort of plastic sheet, when I saw a massive bag of Tupperware lids that were going to be thrown out. I stole several, and made my way back down stairs.

They looked like this in the beginning.

Posted Image

And looked like this in the end.

Posted Image

That's all I have so far, but I'm planning to pick up zip ties and craft foam tomorrow (I guess where I am I'm technically picking them up today...).

I will post updates on the project each major step.

#142246 Nerf War Objectives And Props

Posted by penguin807 on 23 February 2008 - 03:55 PM in Nerf Wars

A pretty hilariously awesome thing to do for indoor CTF is, make what ever area you have wars in as dark as possible (waiting until it's night usually helps if you have windows) and instead of conventional flags, use light sabers or flashlights for flags. It's pretty friggin' chaotic.

As for baricades, boxes have done me well in the past, but after I finish my homemade Manta (Bags wasn't kidding when he said it took a long time to make), I'll probably make some portable ones (no not portable boxes...).

#142195 Combo Upgrade

Posted by penguin807 on 23 February 2008 - 01:55 PM in Nerf Wars

If I remember correctly you have 2 SMDTGs. My suggestion is to integrate one of those beasties on the bottom of your DTB with a detonation style trigger. A nice balance of ROF, range and accuracy.

Oh crap... Now I want one...

#142177 Life Without A Dremel?

Posted by penguin807 on 23 February 2008 - 12:49 PM in Modifications

I use a dremel when I'm making breaches, and that's pretty much it. For everything else I use mini garden shears, a hack saw, and a hobby knife.

#141020 The Vulcan

Posted by penguin807 on 18 February 2008 - 01:05 PM in General Nerf

Thanks for posting the same pic that I did, Angel, and then pointing out the LS handle (just like I did)...

In the cleavage-less pic that Angel and I posted,

I have been pretty focused on reading this thread as I am very excited about seeing the new gun and had never seen you post photos here or mention on the Longshot handle. I just went over the entire thread and have not seen that photo posted before. Maybe you could link me to this imaginary post you made, where I copied everything you did.

And about the cleavage thing. It is not cleavage on a guy, those are Pecs!

Not picking sides or anything, but...

Anyway, I'm sure 6 D batteries can do quite a lot in terms of pulling back a plunger tube, but I wonder how fast.
How many batteries does it take to power a typical AEG?

#140038 The Vulcan

Posted by penguin807 on 13 February 2008 - 08:06 PM in General Nerf

Haha. I'm probably going to have more fun than I should with this thing. My only worry is the tripod. It's probably going to be plastic and very crappy. But that's why we have thrift stores... for better tripods..

#139806 Disk Shot Vs Nite Finder?

Posted by penguin807 on 12 February 2008 - 08:06 PM in General Nerf

PointBlank hit the nail right on the head. The Disk Shot's handle is nothing compared to the NF's. An aspect that hasn't been addressed is the triggers. I might just be a little picky, but the Disk Shot's trigger is too thin. The trigger pulls are different, but have equally satisfying results after you pull it.

Buy the NF. It's more comfortable, has the same range as the Disk Shot, and is cheaper.