monkey with a nf's Content

There have been 107 items by monkey with a nf (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#137798 Tire Valve Problem

Posted by monkey with a nf on 30 January 2008 - 08:27 AM in Homemades

And PVC cement shouldn't work, unless the tire valve is made out of PVC. All it really does is partially dissolve the PVC, then evaporate (as someone already said). It's not so much "cementing" as it is "welding".

#137563 Dchap-2

Posted by monkey with a nf on 27 January 2008 - 10:30 PM in Homemades

I think I might just use another 11/4" to 1/2" reducing bushing in the back (where the endcap/SCH 80 contraption is), with a 1/2" stub stuck in it to hold the o-ring in place. Should work better than the current design (and I don't have to drill any 1/2" holes in endcaps, which is a pain if you don't have a drillpress).

Of course, then I have to order more bushings (but I had to do that anyway).

#137523 Dchap-2

Posted by monkey with a nf on 27 January 2008 - 04:19 PM in Homemades

Bringing this back, because I have something that seems like a problem.

I'm (finally- things kept getting in the way) building a DCHAP-2-based homemade. However, I'm wondering about one part of the design. Is the outside of the 3/4" endcap supposed to seal with the 11/4" PVC? With the one I'm using, there's a slight (something like 1/132") gap. Should I PVC cement it? Get a different cap?

#125185 Tubing / Pipe Cutters

Posted by monkey with a nf on 06 October 2007 - 10:49 AM in Modifications

I will warn you- pipe cutters will bend the tubing inward, making it useless for a breech covering. If I need the end to be flat, I use pipe cutters to lightly mark the tubing, use a Dremel cutting wheel to cut around the tube, and then use sandpaper to deburr and smooth the cut.

#122792 How Many Pumps

Posted by monkey with a nf on 12 September 2007 - 07:15 AM in General Nerf

If you want to get it to work, yes. If it's anything like the magstrike, it should take about 40 pumps safely, but the only RF20 I've ever had was before I started modding.

#122791 Which Can Be Made Smaller?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 12 September 2007 - 07:12 AM in General Nerf

AT2K has a smaller tank than the AT3K, but I don't know about the pump (the 3K's tank can fit in 11/4" PVC, except for the rim).

#122082 Help Me With Buying A Dremel.

Posted by monkey with a nf on 04 September 2007 - 06:11 AM in General Nerf

I do not recommend the stylus- the battery is a pain (it really sucks to have to wait a few hours because you've been using high-speed attachments a lot).

#121994 Bbb+ls Spring Combo Question

Posted by monkey with a nf on 03 September 2007 - 06:53 AM in Modifications

Note- the hole in the bolt isn't necessarily in any position- one of my longshots had it on the top, while the other had it canted to the side.

#121198 Guide To Barrel Material

Posted by monkey with a nf on 26 August 2007 - 02:03 PM in Modifications

If they're taggers, really tight. I've found that CPVC is the tighest of all the common barrel materials (my darts don't work in it at all).

EDIT: Typo (stupid lack of google toolbar on this computer!)

#121196 Double Orings Vs Etape

Posted by monkey with a nf on 26 August 2007 - 02:01 PM in Modifications

If you're just using it to expand the plunger head, no (especially becuase it won't stick like e-tape).

You could try wrapping it around the plunger head itself, but I'd think the other methods are easier.

#120405 Dartsmithing Tips Archive

Posted by monkey with a nf on 19 August 2007 - 11:37 AM in Darts and Barrels

I've found when making CaptainSlug-style darts (which work really well- they're much more accurate than my old ones) it helps to squeeze some liquid nails onto a newspaper and then dip the dart heads in that. It tends to give them a much more even, thin coating. Also, I let the glue dry before adding the felt heads, which makes it easier to keep everything centered.

#120393 Adding A New Pump To Pump Guns?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 19 August 2007 - 08:44 AM in General Nerf

Just make sure you compare the pump volumes so that you don't blow something, and you can use barbed or instant tube fittings for a cleaner connection between the tubes.

#120299 Kbarker's Lbb

Posted by monkey with a nf on 18 August 2007 - 04:36 PM in Modifications

The LBB has a valve, but the entire pump/tank/valve assembly is one big piece of plastic. This would make it much more difficult to splice something in, as telekinetic said.

#120297 Disk Shot Mod (advanced)

Posted by monkey with a nf on 18 August 2007 - 04:28 PM in Modifications

Nice. If this can get 60 with a new barrel and light banding, a spring should make it even better.

My only addition is to make sure that all the superglue is dry before hot gluing, as otherwise the fumes will be strong enough to make your eyes water.

#120166 Brass Or Petg?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 17 August 2007 - 06:27 PM in General Nerf

You might actually want it, for a springer (so that it can build up power- this is the idea behind nested brass barrels).

Also, I think he meant there wasn't much friction.

#120163 Brass Or Petg?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 17 August 2007 - 06:04 PM in General Nerf

It really depends on your darts and gun. Read this. Brass has multiple sizes, so it might work or not for you, while CPVC is very tight. OMC's PETG is usually a medium fit on darts, but yours might be different.

#120028 Tagball

Posted by monkey with a nf on 16 August 2007 - 02:52 PM in General Nerf

Lazertag? I don't think I've ever heard of a "Lazertag" nerf gun.

And yeah, a well modded NF (barrel replacement, seal improvement, stronger spring) with stefans can hit 70 ft, though I would call it more of a long-medium range. However, it wouldn't be able to do it with stock darts.

#120025 Unkown Gun?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 16 August 2007 - 02:46 PM in General Nerf

Lack of a trigger? That has to seriously hurt accuracy.

#119707 Need Help Deciding What Nerfgun To Get!

Posted by monkey with a nf on 14 August 2007 - 09:44 PM in General Nerf

Magstrike- more clips, more moddable, and much easier to find.

#118984 Longshot Top Loading Breech

Posted by monkey with a nf on 09 August 2007 - 03:47 PM in Modifications

You probably could have just left the clip in to do this- it would have the same effect, but you could still use the clip.

#118458 Nitefinder Spring Replacement

Posted by monkey with a nf on 06 August 2007 - 07:04 AM in Modifications

I don't know (I've never used the handyman springs), but you can find out more here.

#118338 First Homemade In A Long Time

Posted by monkey with a nf on 05 August 2007 - 06:57 AM in Homemades

Yeah- frost vectron used a 1/2 CPVC weight (with some 3/8" vinyl tubing) in his sawtooth mod.

#118337 P90 Helix Ramp Mag

Posted by monkey with a nf on 05 August 2007 - 06:50 AM in Homemades

I'm glad you're actually building it (I thought this was someone who didn't understand "Thread Closed"), but I still don't think it will work as well as a simple box mag. The feedramp would have to be really precise, and the darts might not survive the ramp (or the ramp the darts, unless foam insulation is harder than I think it is).

However, it would be really cool if it did.

#118143 Lbb Trouble

Posted by monkey with a nf on 03 August 2007 - 10:03 AM in General Nerf

Actually, buy a Big Blast if you can help it. They require fewer pumps and are higher quality, especially because the LBB trigger tends to break over time when the OP valve is plugged (which is necessary on the LBB, but not BB).

EDIT: Added something.

#118078 Cpvc Barreled Missile Storm

Posted by monkey with a nf on 02 August 2007 - 08:27 PM in Modifications

The screw heads are called Torx- apparently Nerf has tried other methods of tamper-resistant screws than the triangular ones on the Comlink.

#118039 Please Help

Posted by monkey with a nf on 02 August 2007 - 03:35 PM in Homemades

You'll want to use a PVC size larger than 1/2" CPVC, as that is pretty small for a tank, and you'll have trouble finding a valve.

#117993 Relocating Cocking Handle On Nite Finder

Posted by monkey with a nf on 02 August 2007 - 10:16 AM in Modifications

You actually can have a sliding cocking handle with a normal plunger- like the DTG.

#117958 Please Help

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 August 2007 - 10:27 PM in Homemades

I think that's different, as it requires multiple twists to open, whereas a ball valve just takes a quarter turn. The PVC ones are notorious for being very difficult to turn, and while the metal ones are better, they still are pretty slow.

EDIT: Clarification.

#117899 Rf20 Pump Problem

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 August 2007 - 02:59 PM in General Nerf

It looks like the check valve holes might have been plugged. Check the pump head- there should be three holes. Only the center one should be plugged.

#117869 Is This Possible?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 August 2007 - 10:23 AM in Modifications

Hot glue works for plugging holes, but a layer won't stop pressurized air (so you can use it to seal barrels, but not air tanks). And you should always use PVC cement and primer when using fittings with pressurized air.

#117868 Rf20 Pump Problem

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 August 2007 - 10:19 AM in General Nerf

Go ahead and take the e-tape off, as it will only keep it from working (if the pump works the way I think it does, then the o-ring needs to be able to slide on the pump head). Check to make sure the o-ring isn't cracked or dried out, as that would create seal problems.

Also, by this, do you mean that it leaks, or you can't pressurize any air? It might help if you can give us a picture of the pump head (assuming it's removable; I've never opened a RF20).

#117551 Xxl Bazooka

Posted by monkey with a nf on 29 July 2007 - 06:49 PM in Modifications

I've never had one, but isn't it an air gun?

#117410 Mag Spring Question

Posted by monkey with a nf on 28 July 2007 - 08:02 AM in Homemades

It might not be powerful enough, especially if he's using brass.

#117275 Mag Spring Question

Posted by monkey with a nf on 26 July 2007 - 08:54 PM in Homemades

I would use a coil spring- using a higher guage wire (for a z-shaped spring) than for darts didn't work for me. Of course, I was using balsa for the mag.

You can try McMaster-Carr for them (under extension springs ).

#117273 How Tight Should Darts Be?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 26 July 2007 - 08:49 PM in General Nerf

Nope. For air guns (fast air delivery) you want a perfect fit, or on the loose side. For springers (slow air delivery) you either want a tight fit, or a tight fit and then a loose or perfect fit.

For example:

If your darts fit flush in 9/16" brass, you would use that for a BB, but you would want 9/16" with some 17/32" in the end for a BBB.

#117213 Nite Finder Copper Barrel

Posted by monkey with a nf on 26 July 2007 - 10:09 AM in Modifications

I'm pretty sure that 1/2" CPVC doesn't fit in 1/2" Sch. 40 PVC, but it might in a lower schedule (though I've never seen it anywhere, even McMaster-Carr).

#116928 Dtb Ar Removal Question

Posted by monkey with a nf on 23 July 2007 - 04:30 PM in Modifications

Now do I just unscrew the gun, take out the three pronged AR and the spring from the AR and put the gun back together?
Sorry for the annoying questions. I just want to make sure every thing goes right when I mod it, or else.

As long as you plan on only shooting stock darts, yes.

#116894 Dtb Ar Removal Question

Posted by monkey with a nf on 23 July 2007 - 09:36 AM in Modifications

After you disassemble it, the orange turret piece should unscrew from the black back. You should several three-pronged plastic things and small springs when you open it; you can throw these away. The parts with the posts should be kept on (because otherwise the turret doesn't seal), but you need to get rid of the center somehow (drill, dremel, pliers, file, etc...). This will let it fire stefans. It will also increase the noise of firing and increase ranges by 5-10 ft.

#116838 Trigger Designs

Posted by monkey with a nf on 22 July 2007 - 09:00 PM in Homemades

I used a dremel cutoff wheel, though it took a while and heated it up a lot. If you don't have that, I'd recommend a hacksaw, or maybe a file (to file through it).

#116518 My Magstrike 20 Round Clip + Video

Posted by monkey with a nf on 20 July 2007 - 08:14 AM in Modifications

Wow. My impression was that it would take a scrollsaw to get the required precision to get the clip to work, but I guess not. Do you have instant tube fittings on the magstrike, or is the tubing just gooped in? Also, what are the ranges?