Jergling's Content

There have been 69 items by Jergling (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#115356 Homemade Air Rifle

Posted by Jergling on 10 July 2007 - 09:33 PM in Homemades

*this post has been cleared*

Sorry, I didn't realize my brother still had access to my Nerfhaven account because of the "remember me" setting for his computer (which I used to use). I'm shutting down the auto-loggin on his computer, so this won't happen again.

#115354 Semi-auto Clip Idea

Posted by Jergling on 10 July 2007 - 09:31 PM in Homemades

I drew something like this as a test for sketchup, but mine had two clips, one full of plungers and one full of ammo. the plunger on moved in an arc behind the vertical clip, but still, there would be very minimal power on this, I realized that when I looked at the size

#115349 Nerf Doom

Posted by Jergling on 10 July 2007 - 08:57 PM in General Nerf

that PSP game looks awsome, now I just need to get a windows emulator to run a PSP emulator to run the game through the emulated PSP drivers. Luckily, I have windows disks and a place to download a free PSP. Can't Mac just make a computer that doesn't get viruses AND can run .exe?

#115333 How Not To Be A Noob.

Posted by Jergling on 10 July 2007 - 07:05 PM in General Nerf

Maybe they will listen to someone with more posts than me, I made one of these too, the noobs are unstoppable.

#115332 Hacking The Wii (do I Need Windows?)

Posted by Jergling on 10 July 2007 - 06:49 PM in Off Topic

Wow, that got out of hand, please allow me to explain.

This has nothing to do with pirating, if you want to do that (and get banned) make your own topic. All I was asking was if anyone knew how to unpack a .bin file. The wii can save to SD cards, and I found the save file on the SD with my card reader. I don't know if I made that clear... So yes, it is saving a backup (somewhat) but it's built to do that, it needs a save file-I just told it to save to a removable disk.

I just thought I could open the binary pack and change some numerical values, like my wii-sports "pro level" (it would be nice to be level 9999)

Also, no, I don't really need help with Zelda, it's my brother's game, thanks anyway.

How did this turn into a discussion about PS2 chipping, and then being kicked off the forum and furtermore arrested? Funny how that works

#114152 Iphone!

Posted by Jergling on 02 July 2007 - 02:32 PM in Off Topic

I think there was a missed point here in the graphics thing (yes, I'm further derailing the topic, I know)

Macs still have several things better that Windows, mainly in graphics and storage/data management. Mac's Hard drives never have to be defragged, due to the more advanced storage system-something that Windows would require an entire system rewrite from scratch to make available, not to mention the product recalls for harddrive disfunctions after programming problems. Macs also have integrated graphics memory, simplifying the way the graphics work. Macs are made for media, Windows works well with direct data input (games and docs).

typically, macs are used for graphics because they become "traditional" and becuase they handle graphics well.

The iPhone probably won't do well, honestly. It is an apple flop, but it's still awsome in capabilities. I was really just waiting for it to come out so I could see the demo models in the apple store :)

#114148 Hacking The Wii (do I Need Windows?)

Posted by Jergling on 02 July 2007 - 02:09 PM in Off Topic

I've had my Wii for about two weeks now, and I just found a handy little feature that includes saving games to a SD card. Even though I can find the wii's save file, I don't know how to extract it.

The file is a .bin inside about five folders, just wondering if anyone has found a way to hack this file, or even extract it. (I wouldn't mind having a level 9999 player or infinite health in Zelda)

I'm also surprised that on a generaly technological community that no-one else has talked about hacking consoles (there were a good deal of "which console do you like better" threads though).

Just asking, I don't mind if you have no idea. ;)

#109626 Choice Of Console

Posted by Jergling on 05 June 2007 - 05:42 PM in Off Topic

Think of the games.

Why does the Wii have twice the sales of the PS3? because people like the games for it.

In a competition between the games of PS and Xbox, really, which one would you choose? Obviously xbox

This always irritates me: I don't think that video quality matters. There's a difference between 1950's "tubes" and CRTs, but when it comes to HD, there are visual qualities that the companies put it screens just to raise the market value becuase it sounds fancier to the average american: Homer Simpson. I'm not saying that HD is worthless, there are visible improvements in quality, but does it matter enough to be more important that the quality of the game?

#109608 Future Nerf War Crime

Posted by Jergling on 05 June 2007 - 04:56 PM in Homemades

Well, I can't believe I'm going to agree with the post:

They actually have these. Not to shoot nerf balls, or tennis balls, or potatoes, but (of all things) shirts.

At basketball games, the do have "shirt cannons" that shoot rolled-up tee-shirts to the crowd using a pressure tank. If you modified it and replaced the shirts (which go pretty far considering they're cotton wads) with something sensible to shoot at people like a foam-rubber dodgeball

Shirt cannons

The best picture I found of what foam I'm talking about.

You could make a fun little "pirate-cannon" out of this, and it would make gym class a good deal easier...

#109602 Co2 Rocket

Posted by Jergling on 05 June 2007 - 04:43 PM in Homemades

Before you attempt this, I will warn you (Yes, CS is right, this is altogether a BAD idea, but...)

The force required to make this thing shoot horizontally would be nearly impossible. With spiraled fins, shooting it at the desired target would require so many calculations that by the time you had it positioned to coordinates, your target would be hundreds of feet away.

Military rocket launchers have enough power and flight technology to shoot on a horizontal plane. Real rockets that are more advanced need room for computers, and so those are the ones your would have to model after.

Non-horizontal, hellfire rocket launchers use a precisely delayed timer to first shove the rocket lightly out of the tube, and then (the gyroscopes and timers work here) it waits until just the right moment in falling out of the tube so that it's angled upwards and launches from there.

There is almost no way to have that kind of gyroscopically delayed rocket made of foam. Even if you tried to make it launch horizontally, the weight of the rocket and CO2 tank together would stay in balance to keep it from simply dropping out of the barrel (and maybe drifting five feet)

And, yes there's more, it's really dangerous. Not a particularly good idea to be playing with unregulated co2 tanks.

(I thought about this at one point too, I just don't think it's safe or practical to do)

#107106 Plunger Lubricants...

Posted by Jergling on 22 May 2007 - 05:38 PM in Modifications

WD-40 eats plastic.

That would explain why my PVC plunger setup stopped working. I'm gonna go find some Vaseline or something. Oh, wait, petroleum based...

Isn't petroleum the base of plastic though?

#107091 Another Home-made Idea

Posted by Jergling on 22 May 2007 - 05:00 PM in Homemades

Actually, no, this isn't what CS is doing.

But sorry, I have actually been making this exact design (trying to keep it a SECRET :angry: ) I mentioned that I was making the gun here: Longer Barrels thread

I got the idea from howstuffworks, you too? (yes, I've actually started building it, and I was going to try to restrain from posting about it.)

Also, I already have full plans for it, for a breech loading mechanism based on rotation.

Still: GMTA

#106757 Totaly Random

Posted by Jergling on 20 May 2007 - 04:40 PM in Off Topic

Ok, I kind of understand that "runescape sucks" message, but here's my more intelligent reason:

I did play runescape, I went through two phases (both around a year long) of playing it in fact.

I liked it, but eventualy realized the pointlessness of it, and used my time on it to "merchant" or buy valuables from stupid people for the wrong values. I didn't quit because i was losing, I had around 50,000 gold.

You will too realize after time that there are much better games you can play for free. I personally prefer Quake conversions like Tremulous and Nexuiz.

Runescape screwed me up, and it probably accounts for most of my after-game awards in Tremulous for "Chattiest Mother******" (seeing there are a good deal of younger people here prompts me to censor)

Try out those games too, they're good.

#106753 Concept Design

Posted by Jergling on 20 May 2007 - 04:22 PM in Homemades

I don't know exactly what you're talking about here, but it made me think of this dart gun I got as an arcade prize years ago. It was annoying, but i see a potential in it. If you could make a gun (better than this one) that fires using only the pressure from pulling the trigger, that would be the ideal semi auto. Too bad the arcade gun fired about 10 feet. maybe multiple trigger pull cocking would work. (at least it would allow desert-eagle type double-wielding)

#104835 New To Forums And Wondering?

Posted by Jergling on 10 May 2007 - 03:49 PM in General Nerf

There is a writeup on homemade votex rings. You can make your own if you're willing to spend the time on it. Sorry, no link to it (but it is on this forum)

#104072 Collegespot

Posted by Jergling on 05 May 2007 - 04:32 PM in Off Topic

That would be nice to have nerf on a site like this.

Still (its an awsome idea, not saying anyting against it) I don't understand the basis that it works on. Why should people use it instead of ebay/forums? No, I didn't look at the site, sorry.

#103948 Question About The Bbb

Posted by Jergling on 04 May 2007 - 06:33 PM in General Nerf

Just to stress some importance on this: the longshot spring is pitifully weak! unless you wanted to put it in alongside the bbb spring, that would do nothing but decrease efficiency.

Also, nice sig. Hitchhiker's guide quote? I say that all the time, as well as flarg, blirgen, speckleheimerMcnewtonfigurestien, and splingarg

#103932 Barrel Length

Posted by Jergling on 04 May 2007 - 05:17 PM in Homemades

Wow, I didn't expect posts back on this any more, but I have some more information I'm going to disclose:

I built the plunger tube for my gun, and I'm getting the fishtail thing, my plunger tube is reverse of normal homemades like the SCAR/FAR, with a large tube moving over a small one (the barrel). I installed a very basic breech, and rubber bands force the plunger forward since I have no springs. This plunger easily has several times the power of the Mav, so scratch that.

Moving on, the breech sucks. Where do I get foam sheets? I've been using duct tape for seal... also, right now the only thing really hindering the performance to an average of 20' is that half of the shots are misfires due to the duct tape's rubberiness. I think with a smooth (and sealed) breech and plunger I could raise my range to at least 60' (good enough for what I want to use this for)

#103632 Titan Missile Launcher

Posted by Jergling on 02 May 2007 - 07:07 PM in Homemades

first of all, your right, this should be in Mods, but...

More power doesn't lead to less accuracy, with the right weighting no accuracy problems should occur. And I see now that I had the wrong idea of this before, and that the bottle is going over, not into, the barrel. Oh well.

More importantly, this was a dead topic from half a month ago, check the date before posting.

To help you adjust to life on a forum, please read my post HERE

#103410 Average Height.

Posted by Jergling on 01 May 2007 - 04:31 PM in Off Topic

Ha, I'm just starting my growth spurts, and I'm already around 6'. I wan't to get taller still though so I can be the only nerd in my school who beats up "popular" kids who make me angry. I'm violent... kinda.

#103405 High School Pranks...

Posted by Jergling on 01 May 2007 - 04:19 PM in Off Topic

That one with weights in a phone was on The Office. But since i'm on that topic, there are some others on that show worth mentioning.

Pretendonitis: humming a really high note, the goal was to make Dwight go to the ear doctor, but if that doesn't work it can still be pretty annoying.

The other one I thought of was kind of like the clock thing. You take someone's cell phone, hide it in the cieling/tape it under chair and call it over and over. The cieling is probably the best choice. I wish I had done this when I found a phone at a party. I knew the owner, but I couldn't find the number.

#103397 Suppressors

Posted by Jergling on 01 May 2007 - 03:49 PM in General Nerf

Rather than going through the trouble of making a silencer I'd just make the barrel longer, that way I improve my accuracy and range while quieting the weapon.

Longer barrels aren't always key, it's the volume of the barrel compared to the volume of air being pumped in. On a plunger gun the volume of the plunger tube should be a little more than the barrel's volume to acheive max efficiency. If the barrel has more volume than the plunger/input the dart will lose power while in the barrel, making it less efficient. That's why guns like the crossfire, nitefinder, and maverick (which hardly have any barrel) gain power from extended (more efficient) barrels.

Barrel Length.

#103390 The Summer Influx Of Newcomers

Posted by Jergling on 01 May 2007 - 03:35 PM in General Nerf

Ok, well, I see that some of the even newer members didn't read this (a few more "Hi, I'm a noob" posts, but oh well, thanks for reading anyway.

Other than that, what were you saying, Rambo? I didn't get any of that, something about OMC... maybe that picture?

I honestly don't know. Please tell me that wasn't something against my post.

Oh, and besides that, I don't think I ever more than implied/PMed this: The post in The Cheapest homemade ever about me quitting the forums was an outburst of disease induced deleria. If anyone is mad at me about that, I didn't mean it, nor do I really have any idea why I posted it.

Pneumonia really sucks.

#102791 Sonic Bazooka Mod

Posted by Jergling on 28 April 2007 - 02:57 PM in Modifications

Wow, that's pretty nice for a newcomer, wish I had something like that to post when I first joined.

What are the removable barrels for?

#102790 The Summer Influx Of Newcomers

Posted by Jergling on 28 April 2007 - 02:54 PM in General Nerf

Ok, this is my once a month post, as I try to limit my forum use to avoid addiction (yes, it's happened to me).

The summer is obviously the perfect time to start nerfing, thus the influx of new members by the thousands. I probably joined at the wrong time, when "prey" for angry members to flame about was scarce, and I consider myself quite the whatsit magnet. Still, there are now about 5 posts saying "Hi, I'm a noob" on the forum, and, being a noob once myself, I would like to contribute some vital knowledge beyond the code of conduct.

For one (I don't want to backseat moderate, that's not the purpose of this post) don't post a "hi, I'm here and I'm a noob" message, that was practically what my Cheapest Homemade Ever! topic was, and if you'll read it, you can see why no good comes of that. Don't start a flame war.

Learn your superiors: this should come naturally, but don't TRY to create trouble. For instance it would be a BAD idea to flame at Pineapple or Groove. Don't

With all those "don't"s you're probably wonder what you should do. You should (to at a minimum avoid being banned)

1. Post reasonable topics
2. Make sense
3. Actually read the Code of Conduct (I didn't, and man did I screw up)

Again, this is a post for the newcomers from someone who really wrecked his account in the start. I'm not trying to backseat moderate, just save people from making a bad first impression, and negatively reinforcing-so don't do what I did, noobs.

#102262 Titan Missile Launcher

Posted by Jergling on 15 April 2007 - 04:54 PM in Homemades

Well, on the topic of expanding foam...

the bottles could be used as one-use molds to make foam missiles: fill them with foam, use an xacto to slice the bottle off, add bbs to the necessary parts for weight.

#102102 Barrel Length

Posted by Jergling on 11 April 2007 - 08:44 PM in Homemades

I think I understand flaming hilt, but:

To be sure I'm getting this right, are you saying the barrel should be only the same volume as the plunger tube? that makes sense.

Revealing a bit more about my 'under wraps' gun (no I haven't started it), I plan to have a plunger tube and spring slightly more powerful than a maverick (for less cocking pressure), and I'm trying to avoid centrifical spray from a moving-and-shooting turret. I'm thinking about 6" barrels with 2-3" shells. I'm inexperienced with this, so my shells may suck, but regardless, would nearly 10" of barrel be reasonable for a maverick strength gun?

Thanks for the quick comments.

#102099 High School Pranks...

Posted by Jergling on 11 April 2007 - 07:36 PM in Off Topic

I haven't played a lot of pranks, but there are some that are just too stupid to try, especially for a nerd.

1: I figured this one out today, and it not only gets someone slimed in bodily fluids, but might get you a "get out of school free" pass if you tell the nurse.
first, chug milk (on an empty stomach)
next, chug orange-juice
For those of you who havent done this, it causes the milk to curdle in your stomach, creating a mock stomach flu. Not reccommended for those faint of heart... or stomach

2: This is also less of a prank, but sometimes it's amusing to be an "aggressive driver" in the halls. I made a lot of people angry by calling them road-blocks, or my favorite: wide loads.

3: I won't outstay my welcome on this thread, but here's one last one off the top of my head. using sticky-tack, gum, erasers, or anything else small and slightly moldable, you can jam people's lockers open, but make them appear to close.
in three places on the door, there is a "barb" shaped like this:
|\
-------- \
^^^ \
\
-------------

The carrats point to what I call the 'lock point'. once the lock-pole slides into this, it won't come out until the lock is removed, and the trigger pulled upwards.
To stick the locker open, find something (I've found large, removable erasers work best) to close of the barb, and turn it into an arrow:
----------
ERASER \
|------| \
\
-------------

When you see the opportunity, cram the object into the lock-point area, and it should stay unlocked, but closed if done correctly.

Seriously, don't try to vomit on people though. It was an accident. Kinda...
And the aggressive driving was kinda kiddy, but fun.

#102096 Leaving Nerf

Posted by Jergling on 11 April 2007 - 07:15 PM in Off Topic

Wait, so what happened? his Aunt got rid of his guns? but why? What could possibly be the use for Suppuku? This thread confuses me, but I think the simple term for having someone purposely kill you is assisted suicide. Wow, that was like five questions and one answer... with bad grammar included.

Oh well, good bye Whatsyourname McPirateman

May Blarg be with you.

#102091 Barrel Length

Posted by Jergling on 11 April 2007 - 06:50 PM in Homemades

Anyway, is there a plus to longer barrels, or shorter barrels, in real guns, the bullet is straightened in flight by a long barrel, in Nerf guns, the pressure behind the dart is constant, and the dart may even be slowed by friction.

So, what barrel lengths are reasonable? I understand that having a dart protrude from the end is power reducing (thus the use in store-bought guns) but is there any reason to make a barrel excessively longer than the dart itself?

I would tell you about why I'm asking this, but that would be one of those "can it be done?" posts, which is flame inducing. if that makes you mad- :P

^_^

I know this is half the kind of "asking and not doing" post that gets flamed, but I believe it is a valid question.

#102035 Asanine Ideas

Posted by Jergling on 10 April 2007 - 03:23 PM in Modifications

A few comments on this post,

1: Please search before you post about things that have been tried before. This is nothing new

2: I got flamed (and due to some fatigued/pneumonia induced deliria, flamed back) on my first post since I came back to the forums, don't feel bad.

3: Everyone else, I think he gets the point. My instinct is to protect other noobs from what happened to me on my thread. Like Murakumo, I don't mean to backseat moderate, but this looks like a potential 'punching-bag' forum, like my meaningless one. Maybe let him off with a warning? If he posts another ...what about... thread, that's the point where the flames become justified.

#101860 Doubleshot Mod Write-up

Posted by Jergling on 05 April 2007 - 05:41 PM in Modifications

They really let members (of the forum) come in? wow.

"they" were the companies manufacturing Nerf-type guns, and I understand that they have engineers, but the engineers have more "cool-factor" (and safety) than power, in mind when designing the guns. Of course, they must be contract-bound to do this, since the idea behind Nerf sales is:

(as in all sales companies)

1. Make stuff look good to profit sales (longshot, max-force line)

2. Don't get sued (did someone say "DO NOT MODIFY' clause?)

Obviously, buzzbee puts functionality so far down on their to-do lists, and power is even lower than that, that the output is what they hope for it to be - safe for parents to let thier kids shoot themselves point blank in the head and not get hurt. Nerf is more powerful, less of a novelty/dollar-store toy, but it does seem a lot more fun to mod a cheap gun, not only does it have a lot of room to improve, but also it's disposable, cheap, and screwed up mods are easily just thrown away. I guess there is a positive side to worthlessness... :unsure:

thus my currently most commonly used screenname: iSuck

#101815 The South Shall Rise Again!

Posted by Jergling on 04 April 2007 - 03:20 PM in General Nerf

Oh, that wasn't the intent of that statement. Sorry, I meant that Nerf has been in a downward spiral in general, I don't think it's going to fail or just all out stop though.

#101780 The South Shall Rise Again!

Posted by Jergling on 03 April 2007 - 05:51 PM in General Nerf

We only have Assassin games out here. I wish we had wars. There is less paranoia and an equal amount of adrenaline there.

Wow, I just realized how much assasin games would ruin your life for a week with anxiety...

Their used to be wars at my own fucking high school during the summer and I had no idea.

I feel the same way... I joined just a little late. Still, fads come in waves. It pretains to the way things are usually adopted first by the oldest, then work their way down untill all the little 6-year-olds want whatever the colledge students wanted a week ago. Nerf waves typically start in the other direction, the little kid sees the add on TV, their grade-school brother hears about it from them, brings it to school, and tells his friends how awsome it is. Older and older people get interested, and for some it hangs on after being a fad, those people are the ones dedicated to boards like this.

Nerf, not only in the south (as the forum creater claims), is slowly moving towards its demise currently, if nerf makes something truly interesting, the wave could start again. Linking these ideas, I think we just need another Nerf fad-wave to bring Nerfing back to the South, and everywhere else where it's fading.

-just a thought... (off topic?-I'll edit)

#101771 Doubleshot Mod Write-up

Posted by Jergling on 03 April 2007 - 04:28 PM in Modifications

I saw some bored kids in a baskin robin's playing with one of these once, they were shooting it at the counter. It seemed to have reasonable power, but they may have just had one of those one-in-a-million guns that miraculously works well, like unskipping razorbeasts, or welt-inducing mavericks.

Regardless, 40' is obviously way better than this gun could have acheived unmodded. Are the barrels seriously larger than the dart, that would just be stupid manufacturing/design.

--------------Slightly off topic, just thinking: wouldn't it be better though?-------------

Makes me wonder why they don't hire actual nerfers to design their guns. Even some of the forum noobs could make a better Nerf weapon-given the opportunity to use the company machinery. (Maybe they don't let us design nerf because we would end up with weapons of mass-foam-destruction)

#101770 Bbb Breach Barrell Dilema- Help Is Appreciated

Posted by Jergling on 03 April 2007 - 04:18 PM in Modifications

I've had a mostly idle BBB clip project going since before I joined NH, I would suggest using an audio-tape box for the clip, and Captain Slug is right: if the barrel's too wide, even by the slightest increment, you're going to lose most of your power.

Also, you dont want to ram it down very far from my understanding. Just getting a good seal inside the original barrel should be good enough. (I used duct tape :lol: )

#101425 E.b.c.

Posted by Jergling on 25 March 2007 - 06:59 PM in Homemades

I wish I had made one of those when I was home for a week with pneumonia. I guess it works best with bunks though.

The simplicity interests me. Maybe if you used a shorter air tank, you could make it detachable from the bed, and reattachable for when your done, so if you miss the first time, you can rush the 'intruder'.

Speaking of shotgunning, no one has told me if they've used my shotgun dart design in a homemade. If you want to try that (the barrel is certainly long enough) you can see the design here.

(Also, thanks for noting that it was a ball valve, I was trying to figure out what those quick-release kinds were called)

#101274 Lotr Wars

Posted by Jergling on 21 March 2007 - 06:52 PM in General Nerf

The original bow (in my experience, I shot an old, used one) gets around 30-40' with minimal accuracy, due to the stress it puts on the rist to keep it vertically stable-letting go of the plunger causes the aim to swing down by 30 degrees.

I have no idea what a LARP war is, but I'll look it up.

#101273 Longshot Repair...

Posted by Jergling on 21 March 2007 - 06:46 PM in Modifications

Man, I am so stupid <---Reasons as follows, as well as recommendation.

I forgot about epoxy, I see things on it everywhere, and still I'd forgotten It's the perfect plastic glue.

^recommendation: epoxy is awsome

I've had this broken bolt/cocking handle to a Tornado for so long, I will try epoxy on it, if it's not too mutilated from the 5 other coats of glue.

^don't make that mistake, use epoxy first thing, then maybe plastic welder.

Epoxy is the answer (thanks for reminding me). Plastic welder is cool sounding.

It works on jagged edges too, but if that one post meant shatterered pieces, cut a new one.

#101076 Good 'ole Stefans

Posted by Jergling on 14 March 2007 - 04:11 PM in Modifications

I don't own a Rev-8 yet.

Keep it that way.

I've tried one of these things, my 6 year old cousin has one. Modding it would bring it up to stock standards.

Honestly, this is a nerf gimmick to make a "laser-blaster" targeted for the little kids who play with nerf guns.

Stefans would fire out of it with AR removal, but, again, the power is minimal. Glowing suction-darts (excuse my reiteration of previous posts please) have very large tips, but are short enough for them to be set back in the turret.

Tagger darts are longer, so their large heads obstruct the annoying little beam that comes accross the revolver at one point to hold the center of the turret.

Even if taggers worked in this gun, the firepower and ROF value isnt worth the money.