Captain Scottland's Content

There have been 57 items by Captain Scottland (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#270451 Firefly Problem

Posted by Captain Scottland on 27 March 2010 - 07:07 AM in Modifications

Just remember when doing mods to do them EXACTLY like the write-up and even then you are not guaranteed success. Measure twice cut once is an old rule that applies when doing NERF mods. I'm not saying you are bad at modding or anything like that you just didn't do this mod correctly it appears. Happens to all of us. Happy Modding.

#257115 Ballzooka Mp150

Posted by Captain Scottland on 23 November 2009 - 03:37 PM in Modifications

If you set it up with the potentiometer then theoretically you could change the degree of the curve or make it straight. If this degree was drastic enough to notice and you practiced with it you could be unstoppable from close range. There would be no such thing as cover.

#256558 Modern Warfare 2

Posted by Captain Scottland on 17 November 2009 - 04:35 AM in Off Topic

I guess its just me, but I prefer the World War II games better. I will always love halo more, but I can't remember ever having fun playing CoD4. This was a total shock as I used to play CoD2 for literally hours with friends. Then just as I was about to give up on CoD all together I decided to get WaW and I love it. That is my favorite in the series followed closely by CoD2. I just downloaded MW2 on my PC just because it was free and even though its my first time ever playing an FPS on a computer I can already tell the Single Player sucks. I don't see what all the hooplah is about this game. In my opinion, give me a nice Kar98k or a Mosin-Nagant and I am in heaven. In the Modern Warfares, too many people use faster shooting guns which obviously war has progressed, but I think it ruins Call of Duty. And before you go around trying to argue that I'm just not good and don't like being killed fast enough that's not the case because I was pretty decent at CoD4 I just wasn't having fun while doing it.

P.S. Honestly, there are campers in nearly every FPS some people are just born to be douchebags.

#256008 Double Shot - 90-degree Drop, Sawed-off, Rear-cocking, Wicked Paint-jo

Posted by Captain Scottland on 11 November 2009 - 07:22 PM in Modifications

Well, I do own that gun and that is pretty uncommon. The mods I have done so far are sawing off the barrel right where the yellow foregrip is, spring addition, and shell mod. This gets me ranges comparable to your double shot. Also, when I nerf we mostly use single shot guns. This being said I lose the clip and keep shells loaded in my pocket (I have over 15) and shove one in the barrel from the opening in the side. However, I have been looking at the clip and it seems like a simple design that you might be able to enlarge or if you have two you could make a "flip clip" version.

P.S. While nerfing the feel of shoving in shells and the shell ejection never gets old.

#255986 Double Shot - 90-degree Drop, Sawed-off, Rear-cocking, Wicked Paint-jo

Posted by Captain Scottland on 11 November 2009 - 04:38 PM in Modifications

Might I suggest doing something with the other Buzz Bee shotgun, the Rapid Fire Rifle. There are not many mods done for this as it will not currently reach the ranges needed for a primary, but you have already modified shells for it and a simple nightfinder spring added to the stock will get you about the same ranges as your double shot. I myself am working on making it a bolt-action rifle. Even though this has been done already I still think the idea is really cool.

#255984 Double Shot - 90-degree Drop, Sawed-off, Rear-cocking, Wicked Paint-jo

Posted by Captain Scottland on 11 November 2009 - 04:13 PM in Modifications

So, as I promised I have performed the peg mod to the shells and they work wonders. Then, realizing many people have done this I compared them to CPVC'd shells and the ones without the pegs work significantly better. Also, the 90 degree drop has been done multiple times before including my write-up on the flintlock pistol version. However, this one might be the cleanest I have seen as well as a sick paint job so great job shinma! Also, good idea to keep the orange things on the end since you painted it realistic colors.

#255289 Double Shot - 90-degree Drop, Sawed-off, Rear-cocking, Wicked Paint-jo

Posted by Captain Scottland on 04 November 2009 - 04:14 PM in Modifications

I am definitely going to try this shell mod on my shells as I only get 30 feet with about the same mods as you. Also, I will post how the mod effects my ranges for all the people who are thinking about doing the mod but unsure if it will help.

#249719 Putting Led's In An At2k?

Posted by Captain Scottland on 06 September 2009 - 01:33 AM in Modifications

You will need a 9V battery, a battery snap that connects to the 9V battery, which ever LEDs you would like, some solder, a soldering iron, and various resistors(use the calculator to determine which ones). You should set them up into a parallel circuit. If you need help on setting that up look on google that way you will not only do it yourself but you will learn in the process.

#249718 Longshot/raider

Posted by Captain Scottland on 06 September 2009 - 01:27 AM in Modifications

Is this gun awkward to hold? Maybe it is just the pictures, but it appears that the guns is really long and would therefore make it hard to prime the Raider since the handle is all the way in the front.

#246532 Eliminator Disk Shot Integration

Posted by Captain Scottland on 11 August 2009 - 01:19 AM in Modifications

I may be missing something, but I am wondering how you intend to put internals into a gun while the two halves of the shell are epoxied together. I could be missing something though.

#246097 I Need Help. Bbb Modding

Posted by Captain Scottland on 08 August 2009 - 09:59 AM in Modifications

You could take a look at all of the mods in the mod directory to help answer these questions. There is the Angel Bow mod which will show you how to do the breech and it also uses a deodorant container for a clip. As for reinforcing, you should reinforce the plunger rod and catch with epoxy putty. Good Luck with your mod.

#245153 Stormfire Modification

Posted by Captain Scottland on 02 August 2009 - 11:36 AM in Modifications

I have a question I am hoping someone can answer. Is there a way to order #49 springs from ACE online, because there is no store near me and neither the Lowes nor Home Depot carry springs? I tried searching, but nothing came up on ACE's website. Any help would be most appreciated.

Also, great mod I plan on doing this when I get my hands on some Stormfires.

#243821 Bbb,at3k,nf,smdt

Posted by Captain Scottland on 25 July 2009 - 10:43 AM in Modifications

All of the barrels appear to be at different angles. However, this could be just the pictures, but I think we may have a contender for the contest with this one.

#243776 Recon-cs6 Tactical Light

Posted by Captain Scottland on 25 July 2009 - 01:37 AM in Modifications

I think this not only looks better than taping a flashlight on to the side of the gun, but is more geared towards what we love to do: mod NERF guns. Pjotrkuh went further and decided to mod the accessories of our beloved pieces of plastic with skill and for practicality. I, for one, play zombies in a building with all of the lights off with the humans only using flashlights to see. In this situation, this light would be perfect as it would fit on nearly any gun I choose to use for that particular round.

#243327 Nerf Wars On Wikipedia

Posted by Captain Scottland on 23 July 2009 - 01:25 PM in General Nerf

"certain locations even have bi-annual and tri-annual wars."

Hmmm... That's weird I don't know of any wars that happen once every two years or once every three years.

Honestly, I feel like this is just some kid who doesn't even have a NERF gun and just thought all this up in his head. Upon this thought and his utter lack of friends, he decided to take 10 hours to type this page.

#243317 Bbb Barrel Length

Posted by Captain Scottland on 23 July 2009 - 12:45 PM in Modifications

Yes, that is true it would be an easy fix, but its also good practice just not to use streamlines because of their inaccuracy.

#243268 Bbb Barrel Length

Posted by Captain Scottland on 23 July 2009 - 02:52 AM in Modifications

I use stock darts as well and the best way to do it is to place the dart, assuming it is not a streamline, next to the CPVC with the head of the dart touching the edge of the CPVC. Then, mark where the end of the dart body is on the CPVC and cut on that mark. This gives you a barrel the same length as your dart and eliminates all the dead space of a bigger barrel. Everyone else uses different sizes because they use stefans. Also, I advise you do not use streamlines because the BBB will vacuum load the streamline into the plunger tube.

#242395 Recon-cs6 Tactical Light

Posted by Captain Scottland on 17 July 2009 - 12:33 PM in Modifications

Thanks, I will definitely be trying this mod soon just need to find a flashlight that fits well enough.

#242391 Recon-cs6 Tactical Light

Posted by Captain Scottland on 17 July 2009 - 12:14 PM in Modifications

I think it's great I really like how clean it is. I was wondering however, for the wiring what did you do with the red wire is that just soldered to the metal of the flashlight to ground it?

#242197 How To Not Hurt Yourself. Must Read Before Modding A Firely.

Posted by Captain Scottland on 16 July 2009 - 10:39 AM in Modifications

Unless you used a car battery instead of the AA's, it won't hurt you.

I don't think that's how a capacitor works. You might be able to make it explode, but it wouldn't hold any more electricity.

This is correct the capacitor can only hold so much charge and thus any more current and it would just explode.

#242196 Small Question

Posted by Captain Scottland on 16 July 2009 - 10:36 AM in Modifications

I buy my CPVC at Lowe's in NJ. They usually have a pretty good amount of 5ft poles of 1/2" CPVC as well as various couplers.

#241924 Expand A Blast, By Sublimedom777

Posted by Captain Scottland on 14 July 2009 - 02:07 PM in Modifications

Just wondering....Since this blaster can accept long shot clips will it also accept the raider drum magazine. If so, this will definitely be a mod I will be doing.

#239364 Nerf Grenade, Pretty Sure This Is An Original Idea

Posted by Captain Scottland on 30 June 2009 - 01:17 AM in Homemades

It looks like you just took a handful of darts and threw them at your door.

#238900 Mega Missile Help

Posted by Captain Scottland on 27 June 2009 - 02:23 PM in Modifications

Do stock darts fit brass? What size brass did you use?

#238489 Foamtalk: A Nerf Podcast

Posted by Captain Scottland on 24 June 2009 - 11:56 PM in General Nerf

So, I am relatively new to NERF and really only play with my friends. However, these podcasts and the war stories especially really have me itching to do a major war. I think these podcasts are a very positive thing for this hobby. Keep up the good work fellas and soon NERF will be the biggest hobby in the world.

#237898 Nerfing Colleges

Posted by Captain Scottland on 21 June 2009 - 10:05 PM in General Nerf

I will be attending New Jersey Institute of Technology in the fall and plan to, with a couple of friends who already attend, start a NERF club for modding and wars.

#237784 The Guns You Don't Use Anymore

Posted by Captain Scottland on 21 June 2009 - 01:57 PM in General Nerf

Guns I do not use:

Buzz Bee RFR(thinking about making it a bolt action rifle for kicks)
Maverick(unsure of what mod I want to do with it)
Vulcan(all though I do plan on setting it up inside an elevator in my next indoor war.)
Long Shot Front Gun(screwed up a mod I was doing on it)
Recon(haven't gotten around to modding it yet)

#237695 Flintlock Pistol

Posted by Captain Scottland on 20 June 2009 - 10:26 PM in Modifications

I still get 4 clicks which is the max. However, with the back I had originally assembled using the part I sawed off I only got 2 clicks before the plunger rod would hit the back of the gun. The only thing I am worried about is after the 4 clicks it is out of the groove, so it might not fire properly or catch something and break. This is why I am not using the gun until I construct a back to the gun with those grooves.

#237652 Flintlock Pistol

Posted by Captain Scottland on 20 June 2009 - 04:06 PM in Modifications

Okay, yes I do know what groove you are talking about and I have saved the rest of it that will go on the back when I get around to creating it. However, I seem to be getting decent range for a pistol so I am happy with this mod overall.

#237564 Flintlock Pistol

Posted by Captain Scottland on 20 June 2009 - 12:13 AM in Modifications

Thanks for the suggestion I will definitely look into it tomorrow, but as for now I need to go to bed because I have work in less than 7 hours lol

#237560 The Ghost V.4

Posted by Captain Scottland on 20 June 2009 - 12:03 AM in Modifications

I don't mean to be a backseat moderator just make full use of the preview post button before you actually post. Also try and insert the image right to the page rather than leave links. To do this just click on the Insert Picture button located on the top of the text box when typing your post( 8th from the left). Other than that, welcome to Nerf Haven!

#237553 Flintlock Pistol

Posted by Captain Scottland on 19 June 2009 - 11:39 PM in Modifications

I still think that this new way is faster. This may be just different method of priming, however, I know that my reload time has greatly improved with this new method because my two hands are performing two different actions at once. Then again, this could be because my way of priming and reloading the other way was insufficient. In the end I think this comes down to nerfer's preference because it is clear there is no difference in gun performance.

#237542 Flintlock Pistol

Posted by Captain Scottland on 19 June 2009 - 10:56 PM in Modifications

Actually you do not need to pull the barrels at all. You can hit the release button with your thumb and because the string is no longer connected the barrel falls open. With the other hand, you shove in the shells and with a flick of the wrist the gun is loaded; a process which takes much less time than holding the barrel open and putting shells in.

#237526 Flintlock Pistol

Posted by Captain Scottland on 19 June 2009 - 09:17 PM in Modifications

I do not know what sort of mechanism you are thinking of, but as I said I do plan on tying or attaching a safety clip to the end for pulling and the strings will not be exposed after I make the back. I must admit it is rather annoying to have to wrap my hand around the string and pull.

#237523 Flintlock Pistol

Posted by Captain Scottland on 19 June 2009 - 09:07 PM in Modifications

I will look into that I had cut out the actual back of the gun from the storage container part, and after gluing it on (if you look closely you can still see the hot glue) it made the mod moderately clean. However, that's when I realized that the plunger needs more room.

#237497 Blast 2k

Posted by Captain Scottland on 19 June 2009 - 07:52 PM in Modifications

My apologies I missed that last sentence. I thought it was the pictures.

#237494 Blast 2k

Posted by Captain Scottland on 19 June 2009 - 07:46 PM in Modifications

This might just be the pictures, but it looks like the barrels are leaning towards the ground.

#237491 Flintlock Pistol

Posted by Captain Scottland on 19 June 2009 - 07:39 PM in Modifications

1. You sawed off too much, you should have only sawed to that groove. With part of that groove missing, you can't achieve full power.

2. This mod has been done before, in fact most people that own double shots do this.

Finn

I do not see any groove, but I did saw off up to the fore-grip not damaging the grip in any way. Also, out of the 5 modification write ups for the double shot in the modding directory none cut off the back part like I did. I have searched the modification forum and nothing came up. Now I am not saying I am the first person to do this as that would be stupid of me to assume, but as far as I know there is no other write-up for this on Nerf Haven.

#237482 Flintlock Pistol

Posted by Captain Scottland on 19 June 2009 - 06:59 PM in Modifications

Okay just a couple of warnings to start off: this is my first mod write-up all though I have looked at many others and feel like this should go smoothly. Unfortunately, I did not intend to do a write-up so all of these pictures are post-mod. Also, I play NERF indoors and thus this gun is made for an indoor pistol.

I will be taking the Buzz Bee Double Shot and making it look like a flintlock pistol. This will be using the rear cocking mod located in the modding directory, however I will still provide an explanation for it.

First step: Take your Buzz Bee Double Shot and saw off the front of the barrel up to the fore-grip.
Posted Image

Second step: Unscrew the gun and pop it apart making sure you take off the hinged access to the storage container on the back and remove the string from the back of the barrel by either undoing the knot or cutting the string ( I cut the string).
Posted Image

Third step: Take a hacksaw and saw off everything behind the plunger like so.
Posted Image

Fourth step: Put the gun back together and enjoy your new indoor pistol.
Posted Image

Unfortunately, this mod does leave a big hole in the back of the gun.
Posted Image

I am currently looking at ways to make a back to the gun to rectify this problem, but the plunger when the gun is cocked comes out farther then the hole. I am trying to find something to build a box-like structure to glue on to the back. When I do cover the hole in the back I plan on adding a safety clip to the back of the string so that it is easier to pull back to prime the gun.

Right now with taggers in the stock shells (again I do play indoors) this gun gets around 35-40 ft which is decent for a pistol. Also, I have many shells and due to the ability to flip the gun out to load shells, reloading is not that bad. With this barrel the darts actually fly straight and if proper aim is taken I can hit my target with ease.

For size comparisons here is a picture of it compared to a DTB.
Posted Image

#236864 "2009 Dew Tour"

Posted by Captain Scottland on 16 June 2009 - 10:57 PM in General Nerf

Am I the only one who thinks it's retarded how it's supposedly a 'World Championship' yet it's only open to residents of the United States? I know Hasbro isn't as supportive about Nerf here in Britain, but come on, the world doesn't solely consist of the US!

Well, any sport in America does this such as the NBA and MLB. Upon winning the championship of that sport they are claimed "world" champions; Even though I am a sports fan I have never understood this. It seems to me the only world champions are the gold medalists at the Olympics.