louiec3's Content

There have been 231 items by louiec3 (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#363236 Buzz Bee Big Blast 3-D Printed 8-Shot Turret

Posted by louiec3 on 02 August 2018 - 09:14 PM in Modifications

Half the barrels are clear PETG 9245K25 from McMaster, the 4 with the red stripe are polycarbonate of some kind that I had on hand, but the dimensions are the same. 

The I.D. is about 0.500" +-0.005 compared to CPVC which is closer to 0.484.

Yep the barrel opposite of the firing barrel is where the index is. Its much easier to design than the clutch system, and great for manually operated turrets.

#363223 Buzz Bee Big Blast 3-D Printed 8-Shot Turret

Posted by louiec3 on 30 July 2018 - 05:56 PM in Modifications

Background

So in my incessant thrifting I came across a pair of Big Blasts and immediately had a great idea for one: I wanted to cleanly integrate a nice turret capable of rear loading.

One problem is that I have limited access to a machine shop, so I opted to do most of the build using 3-D printed parts.

The end result is a Big Blast reminiscent of Ryan McNumbers rear loading AT3ks

finished_zpsbpvloreu.jpg

Materials

• 3-D Printer
  • 3" 1/4-20 or 1/4-28 bolt
  • 1/4" washer
  • Nylon insert locknut for the 3" bolt
  • Small strong spring-- I got mine in a spring assortment bag years ago
  • 8 barrels of your choosing 5/8" OD I used some PETG 5/8" OD 1/2" ID CPVC works too, but I would bore it out so it's not so tight
  • Marble-- Mine was from slingshot ammo and the OD is 0.540" so try to get one close to that
  • Spring 9657K286-- I believe that is the part number
  • 1/16" thick neoprene washer-- most hardware stores carry these
  • Super Glue
  • Amazing Goop

GrabCAD Files

Here is the link to the GrabCAD folder. There is a SolidWorks model of the whole turret, and .stl and .step files for the 3-D printed parts.

When you are printing these I found that the holes for the barrels in the base and spacer were not that accurate diameter-wise.

My solution was to print them close and use a 5/8" reamer to do the final sizing.

I would do a test print of the the spacer or part of the base, and then adjust the hole sizes as needed.

https://grabcad.com/...8-shot-turret-1

Write up

Building this is pretty self explanatory, and the pictures do a pretty good walk through, so I'll let them do most of the explanation.

• I used 7" barrels, but use whatever you want
  • The turret will fit snugly in the shell, so be careful not to remove too much material.
  • I super glued the barrels in place, but feel free to use whatever glue you want.
  • Print the turret base so the junction to the BBBB tank is down then you should be able to avoid any supports in the internal air passage
  • You can also do any other sort of mods you want i.e. pump relocation, trigger replacement...

For the turret base you will see better performance if you do some after treatment of the print such as a vapor bath. This will seal the layers together well, and prevent leakage from the internal air passage.

I used PLA which is not easy dissolve but I did a vapor treat using tetrahydrofuran. This stuff is nasty, if you aren't trained to work with it DO NOT!!!!

Another safer option is just to paint the internal passages with a durable enamel paint, like nail polish or modeling paints.

For ABS prints acetone is readily available (Nail polish remover) and not as dangerous, but still use caution. You could even just apply it to the internal walls of the air passage using a cotton-swab.

write-up2_zpsnrp2qgty.jpg

write-up_zps9r43peef.jpg

Finished Product

20180730_165547_zpsikf8q88w.jpg20180730_165557_zps5kae7htk.jpg?t=153290finished_zpsbpvloreu.jpg

Questions, comments, concerns?

#316232 Cataclysm 3 - Chicagoland War

Posted by louiec3 on 27 May 2012 - 09:28 PM in Nerf Wars

No, I said you drive like a puss, not an old man.

Seriously, country road speed limits are just recommendations.

This was well worth the drive. I just wish I could modify my body, so I never get heat stroke.

+my doomslayer preformed amazingly, and it had +1 to ergonomics from the mega awesome stock.
++ MY cobbled together Spaz pump action worked just as well as my doomslayer, but weighed a lot less.
+Dart recovery was good.
+Rubber chicken as a melee weapon.
+ I made 5 sandwiches and none made it home.
-heat stroke blows
-No regular choco tacos

#316099 Cataclysm 3 - Chicagoland War

Posted by louiec3 on 24 May 2012 - 07:06 PM in Nerf Wars

Kane or Ryan. Can you bring me the prize I won in your contest on Saturday, seeing as how I haven't got it yet.

#315533 Cataclysm 3 - Chicagoland War

Posted by louiec3 on 10 May 2012 - 09:42 PM in Nerf Wars

This is in the middle of nowhere. What are the plans for parking, bathrooms, and water?

Right now it looks like I should be able to attend.

#312697 Habitat for Humanity

Posted by louiec3 on 10 March 2012 - 10:54 PM in Off Topic

The only reason for Iowa is that the Habitat Team from my school has always gone there since they started up.

#312686 Habitat for Humanity

Posted by louiec3 on 10 March 2012 - 09:29 PM in Off Topic

Habitat for Humanity

This July myself and 9 others from my high school are traveling to Waterloo, Iowa to help build a house with Habitat for Humanity.

In order to travel we obviously need to raise money. $200 to be exact. This will cover gas, food, housing, and other expenses we encounter along the trip.

I am reaching out to the NIC to help sponsor me on this trip to Iowa. I don't care if you can only give $1 or you decide to give me all $200, everything will help me reach the goal.

One of the chaperones, Mrs. Braier, created a sponsorship sheet to show to people, and since I can't send everyone here a copy I just scanned it in, so you can read what she wrote. I blanked out her phone number, but if you want to talk to her I can arrange it.

Posted Image

In order to donate I will just use my paypal account, and if you don't have paypal pm me, and I can send you my address to send money or checks too.
If you want me to mention your name in this post for a donation write a note in the paypal message.
I will close this thread on May 1.

* I have reached my goal of $200, and far beyond thanks to everyone who helped. Any donations received after March 14 will be donated directly to habitat during the trip in July.

My Paypal

Louiec3@wi.rr.com

List of Donations

$10 Anonymous
Ambience 327
$30 Anonymous
$15 Anonymous
$400 Anonymous

FAQ

Are the donations Tax Deductible?

-Yes they are, and I can get receipts for those who need them.

What is the Official Club/Organization at the high School, so I can donate to a recognized charity?

-I know checks, if you write them, are made out to South Milwaukee High School. Since the funds are being used for our travel exspenses it is not an official charity.

If for any reason you want to learn more about my trip or habitat for humanity just ask, so I can find more information for you.

One final note. If someone goes above and beyond in their donation, I will make sure they benefit from their generosity.

#311659 +bow: Diy Thread

Posted by louiec3 on 22 February 2012 - 08:57 PM in Homemades

http://www.nerfrevol....php?f=9&t=4351

A Jolt integration for the +bow using the integration holes.

Posted Image

#311046 Reviving supermaxx 5000 help

Posted by louiec3 on 11 February 2012 - 07:55 AM in Modifications

I dropped a 3k tank in my 5k, and then made an elongated coupler (about 6") of 21/32 brass that extended to the front of the blaster. This allows me to use regular cpvc as a barrel, and i just need to pull it out drop a dart down, and then push the barrel back in. The best part was that there was no cutting of the shell, and the tank relocation allowed me to use the stock 3k firing pin.

Barrel in (its 5/8" od PETG)

Posted Image

For some reason I can't find a picture of the barrel out, but when I get a chance I'll get a better detailed picture.

Detail on the 3k tank location. The cut was made by a prior owner.

Posted Image

Or you could keep the tank at the front and make a nifty slide breech that locks into the front of the blaster. For this I would bend some music wire into a long pin that links both the trigger and the tank. A blowtorch used to heat up the wire works very well. Just make sure the wire is cool before putting it near anything.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#307250 NIC Homemades Contest Results

Posted by louiec3 on 11 November 2011 - 05:49 PM in News

I thought you were joking when you said you gave out negative scores, in the irc. I congratulate everyone who entered, and I look forward to seeing another similar contest in the future. I can always make a more ridiculous blaster.

#302287 Dart-A-Palooza Chicago #4

Posted by louiec3 on 26 July 2011 - 08:57 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm a maybe.

#301605 MANO 5.5

Posted by louiec3 on 15 July 2011 - 01:50 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm on for the taking. (if that makes any sense)

I'll be there with a nice goody pack I received, so be sure to bring all your Z-curve bows. I want to do a Zing toy round. Don't have one? Don't worry, I have plenty.

#300985 M.A.N.O. 5.0

Posted by louiec3 on 04 July 2011 - 08:48 AM in Nerf Wars

+z-curve bow. All I have to say is damn, at the beginning of the day I was decent with it at the end I was pegging people from 100ft. The box lied it said it shoots 125 ft its more like 150ft.
+Nerfing with Carbon, Milwaukee guys, newcomers, and the Chicago guys
+Winning at zombies without hiding at all
+No heat stroke, but only after about 5 liters of water.
+5 bow volley
+Hearing someone else say fishy, fishy, fishy with as much delight as I do.
+/- using my sm5000 and tornadobow for all of 3 rounds then picking up the z-curve bow in favor of its range and killing power against those pesky engineers.
-People not thinking before they do something
-My fingers now have blisters in the place where I would hold the arrows.

This was a great war the location was hastily found, but it turned out to be great. Milwaukee nerf is great because of all the craziness, and the unusual.

#300856 M.A.N.O. 5.0

Posted by louiec3 on 01 July 2011 - 10:25 AM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there hopefully without heat stroke.

#300341 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by louiec3 on 22 June 2011 - 09:10 AM in Homemades

Posted Image

My pump-action spring ss5k. There is a firing video below.

#298021 Motion-Detecting Apparatus

Posted by louiec3 on 12 May 2011 - 10:24 PM in Homemades

a

#298019 Motion-Detecting Apparatus

Posted by louiec3 on 12 May 2011 - 10:18 PM in Homemades

No one

#296767 Saint Paul Area Nerf Outing 2011

Posted by louiec3 on 28 March 2011 - 05:06 PM in Nerf Wars

Possibly I will see for sure when the date gets closer.

#296620 Awno 2.5 - War On The 26th Of March.

Posted by louiec3 on 26 March 2011 - 07:11 AM in Nerf Wars

To comment on your last remark I can't attend the war now due to an injury, so I won't be able to see you on the field.

#295962 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by louiec3 on 13 March 2011 - 06:30 PM in Modifications

It's been a busy weekend for me.

I worked on my troopa a bit more because I was worried about its dart tooth breaking again. Also, dual mags are very effective and not just in Black Ops.

Posted Image

And now I present Troopa 2.0!

It is the recon I got from Saladin awhile ago, and I added a pump-action foregrip to it. It was also my first time using a heatgun, and it turned out decently.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#295609 Bs-12 Advanced Tactical Nerf Rifle

Posted by louiec3 on 08 March 2011 - 09:51 PM in Homemades

Is there any chance of getting detailed plans on this or the CAD files perhaps?

#294691 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by louiec3 on 18 February 2011 - 08:31 PM in Modifications

I finished my 5k thanks to atomatron.
The scope is actually useful.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#293856 Rpmbnb! Updated With More Goodies!

Posted by louiec3 on 03 February 2011 - 10:17 PM in Homemades

That's really cool. I only wonder about the durability of the printed parts. Other than that I feel like I want to bug my engineering teacher to let me use my schools rapid prototyper.

#292970 Caffeine Is Alive

Posted by louiec3 on 16 January 2011 - 09:56 PM in General Nerf

OMG!

Posted Image

#292583 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by louiec3 on 10 January 2011 - 09:51 PM in Modifications

Posted Image

I painted it clear. Lucian told me how.

#291993 Community Snap Thread

Posted by louiec3 on 01 January 2011 - 10:13 AM in Homemades

Posted Image

Made that on my lathe. If you think about it it is essentially a cross between the superlative and the preeminent plunger heads.

#291763 Awno 2 (awesome Wisconsin Nerf Out) New Host

Posted by louiec3 on 29 December 2010 - 10:11 AM in Nerf Wars

It's too cold, and snowy. Also, I have a swim meet so I will not be able to go.

#288846 Nerf In The News

Posted by louiec3 on 24 November 2010 - 09:42 PM in General Nerf

#288458 Illinois Foam Fest 4

Posted by louiec3 on 15 November 2010 - 08:36 PM in Nerf Wars

I can't go on Saturday, so I'm out.

#288330 South Milwaukee Nerf Rumble 2.0

Posted by louiec3 on 13 November 2010 - 09:51 AM in Nerf Wars

The war is happening.

#288308 South Milwaukee Nerf Rumble 2.0

Posted by louiec3 on 12 November 2010 - 05:41 PM in Nerf Wars

The fate of the war is on the flip of a coin right now. There is a 50% chance it will rain, and rain in cold weather is bad.

If it is raining I will not be there, which means it will be canceled. Unless someone else wants to host.

I will get the final decision by tomorrow at 8:30 or 9ish.

#288246 Chicago Amazing Nerf 10: Pam Zekman's Revenge

Posted by louiec3 on 10 November 2010 - 09:42 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll do my best to be there, but it all depends on school and swim.

#288207 Wino 1

Posted by louiec3 on 09 November 2010 - 10:56 PM in Nerf Wars

diddle cannons on the playground was bad idea. That pretty much summed up the war.

Also, glad to see nobody brought glue domes.

#288195 South Milwaukee Nerf Rumble 2.0

Posted by louiec3 on 09 November 2010 - 08:02 PM in Nerf Wars

Now that I changed the rules feel free to use weighted streamlines provided they are copper bb's or a similar weight. (no slingshot weights).

You can bring stuff to sell. I don't mind as long as it doesn't slow stuff down.

#288190 South Milwaukee Nerf Rumble 2.0

Posted by louiec3 on 09 November 2010 - 04:47 PM in Nerf Wars

The war is this Saturday.

#287980 Wino 1

Posted by louiec3 on 05 November 2010 - 05:04 PM in Nerf Wars

If anyone has an alpha trooper I would like to buy one. It' doesn't need to have the drum, or even have an intact plungertube.

On another note, if you wish to make slug darts, and can not order off of McMaster, I will be making a group order.
Pay me $12 and I will get you a set of 500 felt disks and 500 washers, and I will give them to you at my war which would be next week.

#287938 Wino 1

Posted by louiec3 on 04 November 2010 - 07:20 PM in Nerf Wars

If you bring domed darts to the war, I will take them away no questions asked.

#287913 Wino 1

Posted by louiec3 on 04 November 2010 - 01:31 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there for sure now.

#287866 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by louiec3 on 03 November 2010 - 06:42 PM in Modifications

I julianized a paul style longshot.

-Airflow modded titan tank (very painful and temperamental process for me) Now it has a 1/2" wide dump valve.
-Sexy breech that is reminiscent of paul's longshots.
-unplugged bigsalvo pump.
-Very nice homemade trigger (level action)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#287444 Chicago Zombie Outbreak 2010 - Costumes Encouraged :)

Posted by louiec3 on 24 October 2010 - 04:40 PM in Nerf Wars

I know for sure one of the swag items will be raider with drum.