Phree Agent's Content

There have been 220 items by Phree Agent (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#339534 Q&A with Hasbro Engineers

Posted by Phree Agent on 13 June 2014 - 07:35 AM in General Nerf

Does Nerf have intentions on continuing the trend of iOS/mobile integration further into their products as other companies have recently?

#339289 LAW airgun

Posted by Phree Agent on 02 June 2014 - 02:15 PM in Homemades

I made a Mad Ghost (Similar design to this) and the trigger pull was pretty difficult since it is essentially counteracting all of the pressure in the tank. What kind of force does your require? I was planning on creating a lever to aid my trigger pull similar to the one used on air hose nozzles, but never got around to it.

#338544 Bull Clip Level

Posted by Phree Agent on 29 April 2014 - 01:26 PM in Modifications

Gosh, this has been a long time coming. Thanks MIG.

#338160 Wrist Gun

Posted by Phree Agent on 09 April 2014 - 02:25 PM in Modifications

The spiderman and venom wrist blasters would probably do the trick.

Posted Image

This is mine a few years back. It had a spring and barrel replacement and shot just as well as a modded nitefinder. I will say that in a running/jumping/holding another blaster type of situation, it was nearly impossible to aim.

Edit: Maybe people don't know how this blaster works. You pull the red piece that my fingertips are touching out until it catches. The plunger rod slides back into the blaster into it's starting position. To fire the blaster, you press inwards on the same red piece.

#336447 Short Barreled AT2K

Posted by Phree Agent on 11 January 2014 - 04:41 PM in Darts and Barrels

With a 4 inch barrel, you can just ramrod the stefans down with a finger. Rearloading a 2k turret is harder than it sounds.

#335794 What kind of battery should I use to voltage mod a stampede

Posted by Phree Agent on 04 December 2013 - 02:03 AM in Modifications

I have the exact same battery packs and set up as this mod: http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20658.

I also have at least 1 of the chargers, probably both. If you are interested, send me a PM.

#335485 How to make a homemade dart target/storage box

Posted by Phree Agent on 16 November 2013 - 03:44 PM in Homemades

The only reason I don't hate this thread is because there aren't tons of terrible "target" type threads already in existence.

That being said, this "tutorial" needs some pictures to be worth keeping, in my opinion.

Also, on a more relevant note: I have found that shooting high powered blasters into a box through something thin such as tin foil doesn't contain the darts very well. They carry so much power that they end up bouncing off (or penetrating) the back wall of the box and out the front of the box again. If a box type target interests you, and you are shooting high powered blasters into it, I recommend hanging a sheet of cloth from the ceiling of the box to hang freely behind the paper/tin foil target. This sheet will slow the darts considerably so that a) you darts don't bounce back out of the box and B) your darts don't deform as much from impact when doing some simple target shooting.

#335073 Nerf haven bracelets

Posted by Phree Agent on 29 October 2013 - 07:37 PM in General Nerf

I have no opinion of your bracelets, but the reason he suggested "It's Nerf or Nothin'" is because it is actually an iconic Nerf brand slogan that dates back to the 90's.

#334937 MAGENTA MONGOLS MILLCREEK SMACKDOWN

Posted by Phree Agent on 20 October 2013 - 05:17 PM in Nerf Wars

Great war. Thanks to all who added to the experience. Big ups to Tim and Koree for being my chaperones into the wild north.

#334899 MAGENTA MONGOLS MILLCREEK SMACKDOWN

Posted by Phree Agent on 18 October 2013 - 09:55 PM in Nerf Wars

Well right about when you bastards are going to sleep tonight (1am-ish), I'll be hitting the road. Better bring your game faces, children.

#334551 Nerf Centurion - Streamline/elite conversion

Posted by Phree Agent on 07 October 2013 - 10:12 AM in Modifications

I got excited when I saw the kit, and it is a step in the right direction I suppose. BUT, until the price comes down, I can't really expect too many people to spend close to $100** for an under-performing, overly large longshot. Granted, I am sure that with all the experienced 3D printer folks we have around here, something comparable could be crafted (for cheaper). But, that again depends on demand which is fairly low I would imagine right now.

Also, I kind of prefer the larger ammo. I think that is what makes this blaster fun and unique. If we want to push the limits on clip fed blasters, there are plenty out there currently that have adequate room for improvement/innovation.

**NOTE: The price I quoted was for the blaster AND the kit

#334026 MAGENTA MONGOLS MILLCREEK SMACKDOWN

Posted by Phree Agent on 15 September 2013 - 01:19 PM in Nerf Wars

Let's make this a reason for me to travel up and catch a war that is obviously in NJ, shall we?

I am a tentative maybe pending lots of different factors.

#333333 Air Max 6 Mod Guide

Posted by Phree Agent on 21 August 2013 - 01:19 PM in Modifications

Break what to the what? And why? Sorry, just not clear as to why I shouldn't do something.

If I understand correctly, he is talking about a piece that is part of the external slide that goes through a bit of the pump in order to pump it using the external slide. Think of it as the pin in a maverick that usually breaks if you do spring replacements. It is the same concept. The pressure would be greater, thus putting more stress on this cross piece of the slide, and will potentially break it off.
----------

Now, for why I really wanted to post:

This "mod guide" is pretty terrible. I'm not trying to strike you down for posting it, but there is very little substance here. First off, I (and I know I can't be the only one) don't even know what this blaster looks like or how it functions. I shouldn't have to supplement your "guide" with a google search just to see what blaster we are even discussing. Add more information, and actually "guide" me through the process. I (and new people visiting the site) would really appreciate it.

Sorry for the soapbox, mods, but I know you must agree with me.

#332301 Bolt Action Rifle Plans

Posted by Phree Agent on 25 July 2013 - 10:07 AM in Homemades

If purely looking like a WWII bolt action rifle with mediocre performance with stock darts is your main concern, I would honestly recommend modifying a Buzzbee Range Master cosmetically instead of building a blaster from scratch. The range master is bolt action (although it acts as a pump instead of priming a spring), and also has a breech similar to the one you are describing.

I am not trying to discourage you from building from scratch, I just think for your purposes this is a slightly better idea.

On a side note, threads created with a less than complete blaster, are usually not taken well by the higher-ups even though your diagrams are at least above average.

Edit: Filter fixes.
Edit 2: You sneaky sneaky.

#331911 DCNF7

Posted by Phree Agent on 14 July 2013 - 10:12 AM in Nerf Wars

This war was great! Location is money, and the attendees were all superb. Always a pleasure.

#331859 DCNF7

Posted by Phree Agent on 12 July 2013 - 08:34 PM in Nerf Wars

Chaos or anyone else in the area of the war, could we get an update on current conditions of the field? I know people are traveling for this war (and I am totally down to get messy), but I would rather be prepared than to come and be messy and miserable.

I know places here (Harrisonburg, VA) are a foot or so under water, as a reference.

Edit: Answering this question at any point before 8am tomorrow would be super helpful. The sooner the better.

#331794 DCNF7

Posted by Phree Agent on 11 July 2013 - 04:08 PM in Nerf Wars

Just a warning: Things might get a little "sili" at this war ;)

Damn it, I am punny. These darts are still in the testing phase, but pending that they work well, they will be for sale in the coming days/months. I can make the heads in any color you so choose!

Posted Image

In other news, I MIGHT have a +1. I need to convince Ryan to come.

#331735 DCNF7

Posted by Phree Agent on 09 July 2013 - 11:07 PM in Nerf Wars

I am ALMOST certain I am making this war. Comb through my sales thread and bring your cash!

#331516 How to fix torn Magstrike air-bladder

Posted by Phree Agent on 03 July 2013 - 08:38 AM in Modifications

Honestly, it might be more worth your time to just buy a new magstrike/bladder. BUT if you really wanted to try and repair this one, I would recommend putting a sleeve (or 2) of innertubing over the bladder after you have applied your choice of glue to it. This will have positive effects on ranges and pressures, but will also act as a nice scab over the split.

#331303 Nerf Elite Mega Centurion - Preview and Internals

Posted by Phree Agent on 26 June 2013 - 02:09 PM in News

I understand that it wouldn't seal perfectly, however with a tape seal you are left with a small opening (roughly 1mm by 1 mm judging by the picture) as opposed to the much larger opening, and the blaster still works well with the larger one.

What Carbon was trying to illustrate earlier was that any sort of indentation (whether plugged or not) will vent the pressure that is being built in front of the plunger head. Someone also alluded to the fact that if you widened the plunger head seal to be wider than the gaps, the pressure will not be able to escape because at no point in time will there be a passage from in front of the seal to behind the seal.

#330715 DCNF7

Posted by Phree Agent on 10 June 2013 - 09:21 AM in Nerf Wars

Well, well, well. I was wondering if you two (Chaos and Land) would show back up this summer. I have missed warring with you all! Put me down for a maybe, it is too far away for me to be sure yet. So pumped.

#329734 Bolt Action Blaster Stress Breakage Issue

Posted by Phree Agent on 12 May 2013 - 07:37 PM in Homemades

After watching your video demonstrating functionality, I don't think there's an easy/practical way to get the look you want while retaining that exact functionality.

Because the force of priming is taken up entirely by that ring (purple from solvent weld), you're going to encounter crazy amounts of torque on any sort of adhesive bond, most of which were designed only for lateral stress. You also have almost 0 surface area to bond to.

Mechanically fastening is also going to be a pain because there is barely any material concentrically.

My best ideas are:

1) That purple ring/sliding piece that you use to pull back the plunger rod and then prime the blaster should not have a hole for the CPVC to attach to, because wall thickness is too low for any sort of structural strength. Instead, take a piece of 5/8" solid rod, drill an appropriately sized hole through it (have fun centering that), dremel it down (this part will be awful) to fit the curvature of your PVC ring, and then use a screw from the inside of the ring into the rod. A 1/4-20 screw is probably strong enough to withstand the priming forces.

2) Use a PVC tee and slide it through there so that way the plunger rod can fit through and you have a single molded piece to attach your cocking bolt to. This may require you completely redesign your blaster so the pieces fit

Thanks Zorn, I think I will give option 1 a try next. I will keep this thread posted with results.

#329688 Bolt Action Blaster Stress Breakage Issue

Posted by Phree Agent on 11 May 2013 - 08:52 PM in Homemades

Drill a 1/2" hole through the cpvc rod and stick nylon/delrin./alum/ whatever into it, then sheth it wih a 1/2ID/5/8OD tube to coupler onto the cpvc handle. That may hold it. You can also fill in that space with putty. Lube up the cpvc and putty around it. The lube will keep the putty from sticking and you'll hve something solid to support the handle.

I am not sure I understand your first suggestion, but I would rather not drill any holes into the PR. I would have to do a slotted rod, and that is a pain as you know. The putty idea sounds good, I just don't have a lot of room to work with between the PR and the "cocking slide" to add a substantial depth of putty. I will give it a shot though if no other ideas surface. Thanks Hero.

#329677 Bolt Action Blaster Stress Breakage Issue

Posted by Phree Agent on 11 May 2013 - 06:14 PM in Homemades

Bolt Action Woes

I have been working on this bolt-action blaster project of mine for quite some time now, and have a working prototype version completed. Sadly, one of the pieces (for this thread I will refer to it as the cocking slide) is not strong enough to withstand the leverage/stress it is required to hold. This blaster is loosely designed around the blaster found here: , by Wes.

I would really prefer to use a more Bolt action type priming mech in my blaster as opposed to his (but they function very similarly). Here is my video showing the functionality of my blaster, as well as how the piece in question primes the blaster. (Sorry for the crappy video. Hopefully, even through the painfully pixel-y picture you can see how this thing functions)

Posted Image

For those who might be better reading than watching, the bolt action handle is lifted and is pulled backwards on the blaster. This handle is connected to the “cocking slide” that pulls the entire plunger rod back into the catch. At this point, the spring is not compressed. The plunger rod is caught (by the rainbow catch), and the cocking slide is then returned to it’s original position thus priming the spring against the plunger head. The trigger is pulled, and the plunger rod shoots forward. Return to step one.

The “cocking slide” currently is made of a ¾ to 1/2 reducer that has been reamed out so that my ½ in CPVC plunger rod can slide through it.

My question to everyone with homemade knowledge is: Is there a way to attach the bolt action handle to this “cocking slide” piece so that it can be strong enough to prime a [k26] in the levering position it is in? I have tried Goop, Super Glue, and PVC cement. Any help or suggestions would be great.

(This blaster isn’t finished yet obviously. Still needs some cosmetic work, but worked for a while before the cocking slide to bolt action handle was broken)

Specs: 1-1/4 PT, ~7 inches of draw, full [k26] inside. Has a hardware store cup seal on a cpvc PR. It’s a monster to prime, but hopefully with proper material strength it will become easier. Ranges easily break 100.

#329603 EAT Giveaway

Posted by Phree Agent on 10 May 2013 - 04:06 PM in General Nerf

Thank you.

#329097 RoughCut 4x4 "Dudley"

Posted by Phree Agent on 27 April 2013 - 02:53 PM in Modifications

When I first saw this mod I was expecting just huge globs of hotglue holding the 2 blasters together and a ziptie across the triggers. I am super impressed though with the quality here! The price tag on this thing (x2) still scares me away from trying it myself.

#328824 3b help

Posted by Phree Agent on 17 April 2013 - 09:42 AM in General Nerf

As usual with this kind of thread, pictures would explain things much better than any amount of words could.

Some things you need to explain further so that we can help you:

What mods have you done to the blaster
Does blaster rattle when you shake it
Does the crashing noise sound like something is broken or shattered, or just a loud bang?

Frankly, we need pictures. 3Bs are loud to begin with, so we need more information.

#328518 Marshmallow blaster seal problems.

Posted by Phree Agent on 03 April 2013 - 08:18 AM in Modifications

I hadn't even got mine modded before the seal stopped working. I was unmotivated to fix it or troubleshoot it, but better luck to you. Keep me posted, maybe mine will be fixed one day.

#327524 Grid Code is now March 2nd

Posted by Phree Agent on 03 March 2013 - 09:53 AM in Nerf Wars

Made it home in one piece so I can now, without a doubt, say this was a great war. Plenty of good fun and great people added to an awesome location. I will be back. Thanks for hosting.

#327305 Grid Code is now March 2nd

Posted by Phree Agent on 25 February 2013 - 10:30 AM in Nerf Wars

Me +2 are definites.

Edit: I have paid my dues on Paypal, my guests will be paying at the door.

#327076 VAFF

Posted by Phree Agent on 20 February 2013 - 12:30 PM in Nerf Wars

VA war?! Hell yes. I can't commit to being at this one for sure, but just seeing a war in VA (not just solely in the DC area) excites me. More power to you, and let us Virginians know how it goes!

#326920 Dart and Barrels pictures thread

Posted by Phree Agent on 17 February 2013 - 03:31 PM in Darts and Barrels

Posted Image

Silcone domes with 3/0 fishing weights in the stem. I wanted to make my heads heavier, but 3/0s were all I had. A BB might be a better alternative. Each head weighs >1.2g. Some of them aren't perfectly round because I did a poor job scraping my domes mold before applying the stem mold.

I poured the domes and let them cure for >24 hours. Then I added the stem mold on top. I would recommend leaving the stems to cure on top of the domes for >72 hours.

Posted Image

I haven't given them any kind of durability test yet (Stomping, smashing, ect.) or even put them on any foam yet, but I can say that the metal weight is completely covered by the silicone AND they are soft and bouncy.

I will mount these on some foam before too long and have some durability, range, and safety data to share at some point.

PM me with questions or comments.

#326476 RESCHEDULED DUE TO WEATHER: War at 'The Grid Code' Indoor Ner

Posted by Phree Agent on 07 February 2013 - 12:24 AM in Nerf Wars

My guests (that were going to help cover some gas money) MIGHT be bailing on me. So, if anyone between northern VA and the war needs a ride and would chip in for gas, let me know through PMs.

#325811 Dart and Barrels pictures thread

Posted by Phree Agent on 25 January 2013 - 07:33 PM in Darts and Barrels

Posted Image
AND
Posted Image

The Domes
Posted Image

Concept of final product
Posted Image

Domes sitting on top of foam. No stems or hole yet. (Just to give an idea)
Posted Image

------------
Posted Image

This is the bit I used, thus the tiny dimple in the center of the domes. It was $5 at Ace. I used Polyethylene cutting board as the molds. The stem mold was drilled with 1/4 holes.

Overall, my first attempt was pretty poor. You can see that some of the domes have some air bubbles/imperfections but for a trial run I am considering it alright. I don't have a scale that weighs any smaller than whole grams, so I can only say that these weigh much less than a gram (with the stem).

PM with questions or suggestions. This dart making thing is interesting to say the least.

#324316 RESCHEDULED DUE TO WEATHER: War at 'The Grid Code' Indoor Ner

Posted by Phree Agent on 09 December 2012 - 07:54 PM in Nerf Wars

I have been waiting for a good reason to put some effort in and get up to a PA war, this looks like just the thing. For now, I am tentative, but I will pay my deposit either way. Time to round up the crew. Hoongfu, I will let you know if I need a place to crash for the night. Thanks for the offer!

#323475 Sealing Nerf Tubing

Posted by Phree Agent on 11 November 2012 - 10:44 PM in General Nerf

Make sure you follow all of the curing/applying directions on the goop such as surface prep and curing time. Don't put any pressure through the system before the full curing time is over. For leaks like this, I usually goop the connection. After letting it cure, and testing, I just simply add more goop to the leaking area. It may not be the MOST efficient method, but goop has never failed me.

#323141 DCNF#6

Posted by Phree Agent on 28 October 2012 - 07:42 PM in Nerf Wars

Excellent war, as usual, Chaos.

It was great to nerf with all you guys again (and nice to meet you for the first time Lionhawk). I really wish the northerners could have made the trek, but it was fun nonetheless.

+Fork in the tree
+Getting kills with my noble steed, the Snotblast
+The usual DC crew
+BEAUTIFUL weather
+Really, really like the location (for wars smaller than 12 people)

-Was anticipating bigger turn out
-Didn't have a ball valve so RBP and Sceptor were pretty terribad.

#322674 Airtech 3000 Tank Pressure

Posted by Phree Agent on 16 October 2012 - 06:34 PM in Modifications

If I had to guess, I would say that a leaky tank is not your problem. If the tank had a leak in it the number of pumps needed to fill the tank wouldn't change much at all.

Did you change anything else when you repaired the blaster? Did you add a substantial amount of extra tubing between the pump and the tank? Is the pump stroke just as long as before?

#322528 DCNF#6

Posted by Phree Agent on 13 October 2012 - 12:11 AM in Nerf Wars

Still got that angel breech LS we talked about in IRC?

I sure do, along with tons of other junk to sell if anyone is interested. PM me about sales as to not clog up this thread please.

#322482 DCNF#6

Posted by Phree Agent on 12 October 2012 - 12:34 PM in Nerf Wars

i beleve you are in possession of my ommnipistol... please correct me if im wrong but anyways WOOT

Hahah I am pumped as well, but I have no idea what pistol you are talking about. PM me a description, but I don't think I have it.