Snazzy Q's Content

There have been 37 items by Snazzy Q (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#154865 Local Augusta War

Posted by Snazzy Q on 06 May 2008 - 12:09 AM in Nerf Wars

I might try to show up to this. It depends if I can use my Titan (all I have)...
Also depends on whether I get the bolt action figured out by then.

#154855 Spinning Bolt

Posted by Snazzy Q on 05 May 2008 - 10:54 PM in Homemades

In response to splitlip's suggestion of buying a variety pack of resistors, you would need to make sure you get resistors rated for enough wattage or run a LOT of higher value resistors in parallel. The resistors you would get in the variety pack are either 1/4 or 1/2 watt, so if there's any real load on the motor they will quickly get hot and fail. It might work for a quick test, but I'd suggest buying a power resistor once you know how many ohms you need for the speed you want.

#89477 Longshot "shotgun" Foregrip

Posted by Snazzy Q on 10 September 2006 - 07:05 PM in Modifications

Amazing! Where do you buy your plastic from? You must get a pretty good deal, or else you're just really generous. $15 for a kit is awesome.

#89475 Help With My Silencer

Posted by Snazzy Q on 10 September 2006 - 06:59 PM in Modifications

Sam I think it will. The "POP" you hear when you fire a spring gun is the sudden release of pressure from behind the dart. The silencer slows down the pressure wave from that air. Imagine the difference between popping a balloon and letting the air out slowly.

#89455 Help With My Silencer

Posted by Snazzy Q on 10 September 2006 - 02:55 PM in Modifications

Why would you want to silence a NF? Anyway, if you drill holes in the barrel then obviously air will escape, which will keep the pressure from accelerating the dart. What you need to do is keep the barrel solid, and then have your silencer attach to the end and extend farther out. As for length, you only really need about a three inch long silencer for that small volume of air.

#89375 Mech Tommy 20 Air Zone Blaster By Buzz Bee Toys

Posted by Snazzy Q on 09 September 2006 - 12:43 AM in General Nerf

I think this gun could be truly deadly on the battlefield if you added a momentary on/off button right below the trigger and used, say, a 12 or even 24 volt battery. Well, 24 would be really pushing it, but the whole point is that usually with electric motors every time you double the voltage you get 4x the power out until it starts overheating and efficiency starts to drop again. Of course, that thing is still ugly as hell...

#89329 One-pump Titan

Posted by Snazzy Q on 08 September 2006 - 07:23 AM in Modifications

Thanks FA. Actually, it's not flimsy. It's not obvious from the pic, but I actually did that already so the barrel is very stable.

#89322 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Snazzy Q on 07 September 2006 - 10:40 PM in Modifications

Posted Image
It's not so much a mod as a physical manifestation of my free time.

#89321 One-pump Titan

Posted by Snazzy Q on 07 September 2006 - 10:37 PM in Modifications

Haha yes it's a very nice pump, the color is excellent :blink: I got the pump at my local Ace hardware for about twelve dollars. It's made of steel and some cast metal for the base, so it's not gonna break any time soon.
Just to see what would happen I went up to six pumps just now. Good god, I never thought a nerf gun could scare me so much! I just shot it into a pillow and it was so loud when it hit I thought I had missed and hit the wall.

#89318 One-pump Titan

Posted by Snazzy Q on 07 September 2006 - 10:21 PM in Modifications

Oops! Four pumps, sorry. It doesn't sound like much, but since the pump has about three times the volume of the air tank it gets tough. I have to put the end of the pump on the ground to get the fourth one. Also, like I said this was on a slight hill, I'm sure it wouldn't be that good flat on flat ground.

#89316 One-pump Titan

Posted by Snazzy Q on 07 September 2006 - 10:15 PM in Modifications

I bought a Titan a while ago and did the usual mods, plugging the overpressure release valve and such, but it took way too many pumps to be effective in a war. What I came up with was this:
Posted Image

I removed the extra crap, basically did the micro-titan mod. Then I cut the bottom of the grip flat and added a full-size bike tire pump. The pump has enough volume that at one pump with the twelve inch barrel I can hit about 60' flat.
This made the Titan a versatile long or short range weapon with a decent rate of fire, but what's the point of having a modded Titan if you can't pick off an opposing player at 150 feet? For that I have a 24" barrel with a silencer. The inside barrel of the silencer is thin-wall 1/2" PVC, which has a slightly larger ID than normal SCH40 but the same OD. This keeps the dart from rubbing against the walls of the silencer, but is still tight enough to prevent blow-by and hissing as the dart exits the barrel. With the silencer, you can barely hear the gun at all.
Posted Image

Ranges: I don't have a very large area to test flat ranges, so I could only do the single-pump range. To get a basic idea about how far the 24" barrel fires I shot some stefans down my street, which has a slight downward slope. Not a precise test by any means, but it did show something impressive: I was able to easily put darts 230 feet downrange with excellent accuracy.

Questions? Comments? Anti-Titan flames?

#89313 Briefcase Interagation

Posted by Snazzy Q on 07 September 2006 - 09:55 PM in Modifications

Why not an instrument case like a violin case or something? You could fit any internals you wanted.

#89233 Decatur Nerf War

Posted by Snazzy Q on 06 September 2006 - 08:16 PM in Nerf Wars

Not bad. Highschool here still seems to revolve around marching band, which is pretty dull for us non-band folk. I spend most of my time in Alpharetta, actually. Overall, it's still a nice place to live.
SirTofu, I got the link to work. It looks fun and I think I'm going to come, but I'll have to get a new nerf gun before then. Right now I war with a Titan, but I have a large bike pump on it so I just pump it once and get about sixty feet. It's effectively a really accurate NF, but since I haven't nerfed with you guys and you don't know me yet I'd totally understand if you didn't trust me to just pump it once.

#89188 Possible New Construction Material

Posted by Snazzy Q on 06 September 2006 - 10:23 AM in Homemades

Speaking of plastics, another nice material to work with is polyethylene. Polyethylene is the plastic used to make those nice white cutting boards. It is very easy to work with and is very strong.

#89183 Longshot "shotgun" Foregrip

Posted by Snazzy Q on 06 September 2006 - 09:00 AM in Modifications

VERY nice! What did you use to make the slot to guide the side plates? It looks very clean. Also, what paint did you use?

#89137 Decatur Nerf War

Posted by Snazzy Q on 05 September 2006 - 06:36 PM in Nerf Wars

I do care, since I live right over in Marietta. I'll say more once I manage to get that link to work...

#88616 Worst Weather Experience

Posted by Snazzy Q on 30 August 2006 - 08:39 PM in Off Topic

A few years ago we had a big ice storm here in GA. The ice storm itself wouldn't have been so bad on its own, but I ended up having the worst luck of my life that week. My grandmother died two nights before the storm hit, three days before my birthday. Of course nobody knew the ice storm was going to happen so about a dozen relatives came to stay in our small house for the funeral. Then the storm put a half an inch layer of ice on everything for about two days. The weight of the ice pulled down trees onto power lines and put out the power for almost a week. The roads were slippery so all the relatives were stranded in our house which was electrically heated, so we all froze and had to wear our jackets inside. We couldn't cook anything because our stove was electric too.

#88501 Sooo Who Are You?

Posted by Snazzy Q on 28 August 2006 - 06:11 PM in Off Topic

Well, I'm a gay crack addict with leprosy and severe schitzophrenia. However, I'm usually Joe, the mild-mannered alter ego of gay crack man. I also play bass in a metal band called Vitriol www.myspace.com/vitriolband
That's about it. I've started nerfing recently after buying a nerf gun and bringing it to band practice. At first we'd be taking a break and it would be sitting there, then you'd look over and OH SHIT THE NERF GUN IS GONE! Then whoever had grabbed the gun would unleash a barrage of foam terror.

#88485 Modified Nitefinder, Need Help

Posted by Snazzy Q on 28 August 2006 - 01:09 PM in Modifications

That works, but stretching eventually makes the spring weaker. Take it out and go to Ace hardware, they usually have a large selection of springs. Find one that's roughly the same size but harder to compress.

#88108 My Version Of The Scar-n

Posted by Snazzy Q on 23 August 2006 - 09:36 AM in Homemades

Without shells how do you ensure that the stefan goes all the way into the chamber without the edge of the outside part of the bolt catching it? It seems like with even a slight curve to the dart the edge of the dart would stick out a bit. Obviously it works, but I'm still not quite getting how.

#88090 My Version Of The Scar-n

Posted by Snazzy Q on 22 August 2006 - 08:38 PM in Homemades

I like it! It has sort of a "G36 on crack" look to it. Have you had any problems with the bolt system yet or is it feeding smoothly?

#88029 Longshot + Titan Integration

Posted by Snazzy Q on 21 August 2006 - 10:00 PM in Modifications

That is goofy in the best way possible!
I don't have a longshot so I can't tell for sure , but it looks like the titan air tank is blocking the barrel of the longshot gun.

#88028 Titan Problems.

Posted by Snazzy Q on 21 August 2006 - 09:58 PM in Modifications

Looks good :)
You could saw off the rear end of the housing where the pump used to be and add a folding stock.

#88027 Reaper Mk.2 Build Progress

Posted by Snazzy Q on 21 August 2006 - 09:53 PM in Homemades

Awesome! Those ranges sound pretty crazy, what are you going to weigh your stefans with to get that much power to work?

and about your sig...
"Charlie Bronson's always got a lot of rope wrapped around him in the movies and they ALWAYS ended up usin it."
"That's stupid, name one thing they'd need a rope for!"
"They never fuckin know what they're gonna need it for they just always need it!"

awesome movie

#88019 High-cap Mags For The Longshot?

Posted by Snazzy Q on 21 August 2006 - 07:49 PM in Modifications

That's true, but I've read several ideas on this forum about using simple rubberband mechanisms to make them feed.

#88014 High-cap Mags For The Longshot?

Posted by Snazzy Q on 21 August 2006 - 06:09 PM in Modifications

I think this gun would be a good candidate for a drum magazine. It would be simple to just attach the top of a stock mag to a CD case drum mag.

#88013 Dartsmithing Tips Archive

Posted by Snazzy Q on 21 August 2006 - 06:06 PM in Darts and Barrels

I use stefans, but I prefer the teardrop shaped fishing weights. They stay nicely centered in the conical hole the glue gun tip leaves.

#88012 Are You The Best Nerfer In Your "crew"?

Posted by Snazzy Q on 21 August 2006 - 06:02 PM in General Nerf

Not by any means am I the best nerfer in my group. However, after nerfing airsoft doesn't really seem all that painful, especially since we allow my modded Titan in our nerf wars. I don't care anymore about the pain of being hit in airsoft, so I am feared for my rushing tactics and have been known to play without a shirt :rolleyes:

#87963 Possible New Construction Material

Posted by Snazzy Q on 21 August 2006 - 09:31 AM in Homemades

Polycarbonate. AKA Lexan (trade name)
Great stuff, flexible and easy to work with.

#87961 Possible New Construction Material

Posted by Snazzy Q on 21 August 2006 - 08:11 AM in Homemades

Plexiglass is NOT easy to machine. Another thing to remember is that it seizes on screws and is brittle, meaning that it is very difficult to use self-tapping screws. If you want to use plexiglass, drill slowly to avoid cracking. Also, cyanoacrylate (superglue) is perfect for bonding plexiglass.
A good place to get offcuts of plexi is a sign shop. Sign shops are great for scraps of plastic sheet.

#87903 When And How Did You Start Nerfing?

Posted by Snazzy Q on 20 August 2006 - 01:49 PM in General Nerf

Honestly, I don't think kids under 10 should have a paintball gun or a go-kart. Anyways, my first gun was a ratchet blast, but either I broke it or lost it. It wasn't until a while later that I got an at3k.

I realize that now, but I didn't then and it made me very unhappy.

#87859 When And How Did You Start Nerfing?

Posted by Snazzy Q on 19 August 2006 - 11:14 PM in General Nerf

I started modding before age ten. My parents wouldn't let me have a go-kart, bb gun, paintball gun, any of the fun stuff, so I had to make my own. They didn't mind if I used my creativity to make whatever dangerous stuff I wanted. Anyway, in my quest for ever more powerful weaponry I began modding my crossbow (that's right, original crossbow... I miss it so much! I took it for granted at the time). I added a bicycle innertube and weighted my darts. Eventually the trigger mechanism broke, but it gave me a lot of fun until then. After that I had a Supermaxx 3000 yellow tank, weighted the darts and lengthened the barrels. Sadly, both these guns ended up in garage sales before middle school.

#87806 My First Solniod

Posted by Snazzy Q on 19 August 2006 - 11:02 AM in Homemades

Be careful using the manual bleed valve included on the valve. When I was a member on spudtech I read several accounts of this destroying the valve diaphraigm.
I have a lot of experience in triggering these for different guns, and I discovered something very interesting: because they are diaphraigm valves, it IS possible to open and close them so quickly that you can get multiple shots off the same fill! What I did was actuate my valve with a disposable camera flash system. This gives the solenoid a very very fast powerful pulse to slam the valve open. However, because of the diaphraigm design of the valve, air pressure and the spring snap it closed again in a tiny fraction of a second. I used a 12v pump to get my relatively small air tank up to 145psi, and had a 1/2" pvc barrel with a gravity feed magazine attached. It allowed me to shoot six gumballs at high enough speed to punch through 1/2" plywood, reducing air pressure in the tank only 20psi per shot! I know this sounds like bullshit, but try it, I swear it works.

#87744 Titan Problems.

Posted by Snazzy Q on 17 August 2006 - 09:05 PM in Modifications

Home Depot, Ace hardware, True Value hardware, etc. Ask them for vinyl tubing, they sell it by the foot. Good luck with your mod, dude.

#87722 Titan Problems.

Posted by Snazzy Q on 17 August 2006 - 04:38 PM in Modifications

Hi, im doing a titan pump relocation and the vynal tubing is leaking air :cry: . I need to know what type of vinyl tubing works best for this usage.

thanks.

Is it leaking at the ends? I assume it is, if it's leaking in the middle you have some weird tubing... Anyway, because the tubing connections on the Titan have hosebarbs you can make a good tight connection by tightening a small hoseclamp down on it. I didn't measure the tubing on my Titan when I opened it up since I was just doing a pump plug, but it looks like about 1/4"

#87718 Teflon As A Modding Material?

Posted by Snazzy Q on 17 August 2006 - 04:17 PM in Modifications

Yep, teflon tape is pretty widely used and is very inexpensive.
I tried wrapping a mega stefan with teflon tape, but because the melting point of the FBR is much lower than the melting point of teflon (or whatever material they impregnate with teflon to make teflon tape) I couldn't get the tape to fuse to itself so it wouldn't come off. The dart just died. Oh well, it was worth a try.

#87608 Teflon As A Modding Material?

Posted by Snazzy Q on 16 August 2006 - 11:31 AM in Modifications

If you were a jerk you could wrap your stefans in teflon tape to get even MORE speed and accuracy from a modded Titan. I may try it, but definetly not in wars. More like a pop can target practice thing.