Quartermaster's Content

There have been 24 items by Quartermaster (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#85989 Next Line Of Guns

Posted by Quartermaster on 29 July 2006 - 08:51 AM in General Nerf

They did one gun with a clip

They did three with clips, as near as I can tell, z80. There was the Powerclip, the Magstrike, and the Longshot. I don't know which one you were referring to as sucking, but to cover them all, I wouldn't know about the PC or MS as I have never used them. The LS doesn't "suck," per se, so much as "not perform as well as it should." We all know most of the members on this site can fix that.

#85988 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 29 July 2006 - 08:46 AM in General Nerf

Wow. Ohio, North Carolina, and Illinois, now. Glad to see the Longshot is making a widespread debut now.

#85976 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 28 July 2006 - 11:20 PM in General Nerf

Forsaken - It's possible. I haven't opened it up yet, but entirely possible.

moubeus - to clarify what Sam said:
1) Any dart works in the pistol
2) The scope is just a tube with a reticle
3) At the moment, no plans to market extra clips or streamline darts
4) In the pistol, it's just as hard as removing the one in the Crossfire. In the rifle, I don't know.
5) Stefans are guaranteed to work in the pistol, and it's still iffy in the rifle
6) I'm gonna agree with Sam on this one and ask you to be more specific on the range question
7) The accuracy is pretty decent
8) It makes a good choice, but I'm not sure if it's primary material for me. That sort of stuff is subjective.
9) Once I chop the pistol out of the extension, I'm sure i'll use it separately, like another Crossfire. There is no way anyone would want to even try to run around with a three foot primary.
10) Definitely keep the pistol off. It's too unwieldy with it on, and see my answer to number 9 for more of an explanation
11) I've seen a lot more questions before, so I'm not worried

Sam - Thanks for fielding while I was at work

#85912 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 28 July 2006 - 01:07 AM in General Nerf

Okay gang, couple things:

Walter - I noticed those stickers too, but didn't bother pulling them off. I belive Piney was right when he said they initially wanted sonic darts, but changed it before release. Funny thing is, though, my friend was playing with my LS, and he fired it at me from a decent distance, and since he had to aim around a railing to hit me, he continually missed me. One of them flew right by my ear, and the hole in the dart's tip caused a low whistling sound that you can only hear from close by.

Jikman - Don't worry about repeating yourself. I dunno how high of a ROF you can get on a clip-modded BBB, but if you can pull the bolt pretty quick on the LS, you can get a relatively high ROF. Rate of reload, though, once you run through both clips, is kind of iffy, since Nerf has started marketing neither extra streamlines or extra clips, which I figure as the next thing for them to do.

#85885 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 27 July 2006 - 04:20 PM in General Nerf

No, Sam, the spring will fit . . . It's a pretty big spring. I'd open up my NF and take a picture of it for you to prove it, but it's a powerful enough spring that it took two people to close the NF back up. Anyways, that's kinda off topic, but just an fyi

#85880 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 27 July 2006 - 03:19 PM in General Nerf

Thanks for the internal pics, Sam. It does look quite like a Nite Finder plunger, which means if I can find the other spring that came in the pair that I opened to beef up my NF, once I open the LS, it'll be a beast.

EDIT: Can't forget to upgrade the O-ring, either. Glad I have a whole set of them lying around.

#85878 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 27 July 2006 - 02:54 PM in General Nerf

Munson, your request could not have come at a more opportune time. You actually posted that while I was down in my basement with the Longshot doing range tests. I set it up with the stock fully extended with the extra clip in the storage area and the bipod out and resting on the floor and shot off 24 rounds -- 12 with the barrel extension on, 12 with it off. The 12 with the barrel extension all went over 12 feet . . . a lot of them hit shortly after 12 and bounced (thanks, hardwood floor), but they were all over 12 feet. The 12 without the extension went about 20 feet overall. They probably would have gone farther, but my basement was too short to find out . . . they kept bouncing off the stairs. Don't forget, these were all done with the new streamline darts. That's all I've got for all of you right now.

EDIT: Remember, if the ranges I posted seem short, especially in comparison to what the box says, it's because my test was done from the muzzle to impact while the gun was resting on the floor. Hasbro tests ranges by having the gun at about chest level on an average kid they want to sell Nerf products to, adding more hang time and distance to their measurements

#85874 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 27 July 2006 - 01:51 PM in General Nerf

Pat -- I attempted to disassemble the clip, but it has an interesting construction to it . . . While there are screws on it, there is also a tension clip kinda thing at the top on both sides connecting the halves. I got the screws out, but was unable to undo the clip. However, when the clip is unloaded, there is a clear view inside of it through a slot in one of the sides. It is a triple-torsion-spring setup. It anchors around the screw on the right side (when looking at it from the side with the screws), runs along the bottom to roughly the other corner, where the first torsion spring is. It then goes about halfway up and two-thirds over to become the second torsion spring, then up to the left side under the plastic part that pushes the darts up to form the third spring, and then up into the push part to form the part that it rests against. That's the simplicity of it.

I've decided that I'm going to do some stock tests before I open up the main gun, so it might take me a little while longer before I get internal pictures to everyone.

#85854 Do You Remember?

Posted by Quartermaster on 27 July 2006 - 09:38 AM in General Nerf

Wow, this is a long time ago . . . My first Nerf gun ever was the Bow and Arrow. I remember being a kid and having a target set up against the far wall in my basement and trying to be accurate with the thing. Naturally, it never really happened, because come on, it was the Bow and Arrow.

#85817 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 26 July 2006 - 09:12 PM in General Nerf

I haven't been asked that, and the pistol isn't really too unwieldy. I took the handle off of it, too, which gives a more comfortable place to grip the full gun when combined than either the handle on the front or the bipod.

Where are you from, z80?

#85810 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 26 July 2006 - 08:15 PM in General Nerf

Was that why-haven't-we-nerfed question directed at me or Leftnut, z80? In regards to the stock, it's pretty comfortable . . . Nerf seems to have a decent grip on ergonomics.

#85804 Looking For The Longshot?

Posted by Quartermaster on 26 July 2006 - 07:27 PM in General Nerf

Shindig, you totally overlooked the thread I started yesterday, Longshot In My Possession. Just so you can get more info on the LS out there.

#85803 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 26 July 2006 - 07:23 PM in General Nerf

Okay everyone, from top to bottom:

Lukeinator: It is pretty kickass, and I can't wait to see what mods are developed, either.

Jikman: I answered your questions on page one of this thread when you asked them yesterday.

Munson: The scope is plastic, inadjustable, and doesn't really help. It's there just for looking cool. Also, not only is it removable, it's interchangable with all the N-Strike guns with the rail on top. I currently have the scope sitting on top of my NF, and it looks ridiculous. The scope is roughly the same length as the NF. Furthermore, like I have said in a couple of the past posts, I haven't done extensive range, power, or drop tests due to a relative lack of time. As for the weight question, it depends. It is definitely front heavy, as evidenced by the muzzle rotating downward when holding it by the charging handle. However, heavy is a subjective subject. The weight creates a lot of torque you have to counter, but all in all, only a few pounds.

Leftnut: You and I have never nerfed because I rarely post, so we haven't met before. PM me with your whereabouts, and we'll see what we can do about shooting at eachother.

#85776 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 26 July 2006 - 08:35 AM in General Nerf

It is on both sides, Master Yogurt. Also, it's not inconvenient for right-handed people . . . go take a look at any standard bolt action rifle . . . if you're right handed, the charging handle is only on the right side, so that the empty shells fly away from you rather than into your face and down your shirt, and there are guns specifically made for southpaws. Nerf probably decided to make the charging handle on both sides to avoid having to market two editions of the gun

#85769 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 26 July 2006 - 01:32 AM in General Nerf

I have no idea if the comparisons to BBB and Crossbow are valid as of yet, Cmdr. The ranges I've been getting are kind of lacking, definitely on the short side, and nothing I've encountered in my few short hours of use has lent any credibility to the estimates. But, I've only seen the few internal pictures, and haven't opened my own up yet. Once I see the internals first hand, I'll give my opinions, and I won't have the chance to take it apart for at least another 36 hours, so we'll find out in about two or three days.

#85767 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 26 July 2006 - 12:21 AM in General Nerf

1) I find it relatively comfortable . . . I don't have the longest of armspans, so with the stock in the out position, i can grab the gun right at the bipod and hold it comfortably. As for the weight issue, it depends on how you like your guns balanced. The Longshot is very front heavy, and the weight shifts to the front even more with the addition of the forward gun.

2) It's a clip-fed bolt-action repeater. We only wish it were automatic.

3) Not tough at all . . . slide back the bolt, slide it forward again, fire, lather, rinse, repeat. It doesn't take any more force than, say, priming a stock Nite Finder. Also, it doesn't knock into the plastic forming the slot it fits in, so reinforcement is not necessary.

#85760 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 25 July 2006 - 11:03 PM in General Nerf

No, murakumo, the pistol doesn't have a name other than various references like "the secondary longshot gun" or "the longshot pistol" or stuff like that. Also, the plunger on the pistol is standard, with the female part moving. The Maverick and Firefly and Crossfire all have the female part moving back and forth to create the blast which travels through the male part to launch the dart . . . female is always on the outside (wow, you're right. those are some pretty dirty thoughts . . . )

And both Sam and murakumo are right . . . Hasbro does seem to be playing up the length of this blaster quite a bit

#85749 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 25 July 2006 - 10:12 PM in General Nerf

Sorry Elf, no Magstrike yet in my Wal-Mart.

And yes, I've done some preliminary tests . . . the detachable forward gun does hinder the performance a bit. I haven't had it long enough to actually do extensive enough range, power, and drop tests. I can't say when I'll have the time to do so, eitheer. I can say this, though . . . I opened the forward mounted gun, and it's internals are the Maverick/Firefly/Crossfire type air chamber, so so pulling out the restrictor is going to take slightly more than the hand tools I had earlier tonight.

#85732 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 25 July 2006 - 07:30 PM in General Nerf

When cycling the bolt on the Longshot, there is a piece of the bolt that grips the dart . . . there's a hatch in the top in case the gun jams so that you can clear a jam, and I'll need to get some pictures of that soon. It grips the dart, and then moves the dart forward into the chamber. If you push the bolt far enough forward to grab the dart, and then pull it back and take the clip out, you can see where it goes. Once again, wait on pictures for that. Also, I will move the photos in my first post to a different site to host them . . . I keep forgetting that geocities only gives you so much bandwith per day.

#85724 Longshot In My Possession

Posted by Quartermaster on 25 July 2006 - 05:17 PM in General Nerf

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Those are some pictures of my Longshot CS-6, purchased today at Wal-Mart in Fishkill, NY for a retail price of $29.88 + tax. The first two pictures are the boxes on the shelf in the store, last few are just some fun pictures I had my friend take of me. Feel free to ask any questions

EDIT: There. I took the pics off of my geocities, so no more bandwith issues causing lack of pictures

#85711 Yet Another Longshot Topic

Posted by Quartermaster on 25 July 2006 - 12:41 PM in General Nerf

I'll see what I can do, Ompa. I might not get the ability to obtain the actual blaster until later in the week. For anyone who is wondering, the Wal-Mart I saw the Longshot at was the one in Fishkill, NY.

#85679 Yet Another Longshot Topic

Posted by Quartermaster on 25 July 2006 - 12:08 AM in General Nerf

Hey gang. I don't post much, but I felt that this is post-worthy. I have personal confirmation that the Longshot CS-6 is available for purchase. I found it at my local Wal-Mart tonight for $29.88. I will be buying one by the end of the week, so if you want visual confirmation, PM me and you shall have it by the weekend.

#83789 Your Choice Of Weapons

Posted by Quartermaster on 25 June 2006 - 11:27 AM in General Nerf

I voted custom. It's the only way to go. I'd have probably my entire arsenal on me . . . my stock Double Shot, my post- and restrictor- less Nite Finder with beefed up spring, my post- and restrictor- less Maverick (unfortunately, my slide broke off, so I replaced it with a pair of zipties . . . greatly decreases the rate of fire, but also increases the chances of not having it misfire), my post- and restrictor- less Crossfire, my blowgun, and the dart pen and Secret Strike Pocket Blaster just for backup shots. As for the ammunition, I'd go in with a couple hundred rounds, probably stock darts (I'm just not talented enough to make decent Stefans), and I'd probably have to have at least some ammo in a bandolier slung over my right shoulder. As to the gear, I'd go in with cargo pants to hold more ammo, just a regular T-shirt, safety goggles from the local hardware store (I have a hard time finding stuff to fit over my glasses), and varying shoes depending on terrain. Indoor and urban terrain, due to the hard flat surfaces, I would want to bring a pair of Heelys (the sneakers with wheels in the heels) just because they'd provide a little bit easier aiming . . . running and trying to aim causes a lot of jumping with the aim, adding difficulty to the hitting of your target. The wheels would add stability and take away the jumping. For any other terrain, I'd probably have to go with my workboots, especially in the swamp.

#83385 Finding Your Inner Nerf

Posted by Quartermaster on 18 June 2006 - 09:49 AM in General Nerf

Inner Nerf, huh? I've noticed that whenever I shoot from the hip, I get headshots. Proof:

1) A couple years ago, my friend and I had bought a set of the Nerf dart blaster pens, and we were having a duel in my driveway. The dart pens are pretty low powered, so we weren't getting hit all too much. At one point, I walked around his car and had the little blaster in my hand in the unfolded setting, how you're supposed to write with it. I shot from the hip without aiming, just brought my hand up and squeezed the trigger, and hit my friend dead center in the forehead.

2) Just a few weeks ago, May 29th, I think it was, there were three of us having a Nerf war in my basement. The way my basement is set up, there's a long room with furniture around the edges, and then a train of rooms branching off of that. There aren't many places to hide in there, although there are some dark and narrow rooms in the train causing teams of people to have to walk single file. One guy was using my then-lightly-modded Nite Finder, while the other was using my lightly-modded Maverick, and I had my Buzz Bee Double Shot shotgun (For those of you who complain about it, mine works great . . . I get some pretty decent ranges and accuracy with it, plus I just like the automatically ejecting shells). Since I had recently busted up my knee, I was sitting in a rolling chair in the long room and the NF guy was standing behind me, while the Mav guy was standing in the stairwell. I shot my Double Shot from the hip and hit the Mav guy square in the forehead with it.