Cyphre's Content

There have been 17 items by Cyphre (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#286279 Buzzbee Ultimate Missle Blast Mod

Posted by Cyphre on 30 September 2010 - 03:39 AM in Modifications

Moar like, Fisher Price My First DEFINITELY NOT A GUN foam blaster

#286278 Has Anyone Considered Making/using Sights?

Posted by Cyphre on 30 September 2010 - 03:37 AM in Modifications

Nice reference, but it doesn't apply as far as I can tell.

The nerf thing, and every airsoft sight I've ever seen claim to be "reflex" are simply not that kind of sight. They're just reflections off a plain flat surface, with no collimation whatsoever. Exactly as useful as if you stuck a few inches of wire out in front of the sight's shell with a light on it.

A bold claim unless you yourself have handled every imaginable 'airsoft sight' you are referring to! A red dot is a red dot is a red dot by comparison. They are a fairly simplistic device and work as intended. Yes, a piece of wire, or more practically, iron sights would be equally useful, minus the aspect of readability of an illuminated reticle.

Such sights are as practical as one perceives them to be. No, nerf will never be all that accurate at range, and the ranges at which combat commences doesn't really necessitate any advanced weapon sight, but to each their own! I personally will be using some fat, silly reflex on my primary simply because the rails tend to get in the way, and I'll probably fire from the hip anyway!

#286277 Nerf Modification Spring Sizes

Posted by Cyphre on 30 September 2010 - 03:26 AM in Modifications

The reason anyone asks is for a variety of reasons, above and beyond simple dimensions. Hardware stores that carry such things are also quite rare, as I myself am within driving distance of a Home Depot, Lowes, OSH, and Ace Hardware and none of which carry springs even remotely close.

So it falls back upon ordering from McMaster, as no other retailer who ships has been noted to sell springs of correct sizes or strengths (though you yourself know of a place within your vicinity, or that ships to you, SgNerf). However, as very few people own calipers, or a measuring device that can accurately check the width of a spring (as it is not at all flat, were you to try using a tape measure), it is infinitely helpful if ANYONE has ALREADY DONE SO who can simply post the dimensions, or otherwise absolute limits of fitment in a standard blaster. The other factor involved is the stiffness of the spring, in which no one automatically knows what the stock blaster spring strength is without having previously tested others that have fit. One could easily accidently order a spring that was either two weak, or far too strong for it to be usable.

And in regards to such questions being confined to individuals who have 'never handled' any particular blaster they are asking about, one must first wonder how many modders out there, rookie or veteran, take apart the blaster they intend to mod and leave it apart for the full extent of a period by which to acquire new parts. I, for one, have little intent to leave random parts lying around to possibly be lost or forgotten.

#286057 Nerf Barricade - Mod Guide!

Posted by Cyphre on 25 September 2010 - 10:26 PM in Modifications

Looking good so far! Definitely nice to just slot in the batteries.

Can't wait to see the motors changed, but I do wonder if you are currently doing so, will there be any issue removing and remounting the flywheels?

#285897 Nerf Barricade - Reviews & Internals Guide

Posted by Cyphre on 22 September 2010 - 10:03 PM in General Nerf

Well no, the more inertial energy lost by the wheels contacting the dart mean the slower the dart goes... as the dart would still be in contact with the wheels themselves as they slowed down. The ending speed would be determined by the speed of the wheels just after losing contact with a dart.

Stefans don't seem like they would have nearly as many problems as with other guns. No seal needed in the tubes themselves, and I imagine an extender of some variety could easily be fitted. If not the item that pushes itself (that is linked to the trigger) a spacer in the tube would suffice since there is no air flow required rearward of the stefan.

#285786 Nerf Barricade - Reviews & Internals Guide

Posted by Cyphre on 20 September 2010 - 07:31 PM in General Nerf

What I am trying to state about them becoming bogged down is surface contact with an entire dart, rather than just the head. In its stock format, the wheels will contact the head only, causing only momentary slowdown of the wheels inertia. As well, it is shooting the darts by the heaviest part, rather than the final contact point being the tail of the dart.

#285690 Nerf Barricade - Reviews & Internals Guide

Posted by Cyphre on 18 September 2010 - 06:19 PM in General Nerf

What I'm really hoping to test is making it streamline compatible, or otherwise able to accept the Nerf Clips. My only concern is the method of propulsion MAY be a problem on darts without a wider head. Now I know you could easily increase the diameter of the flywheels or make any sort of adjustment necessary, BUT I am wonder if it will reliably fire darts of the wheels contact all of the dart itself. In it's stock format, the two flywheels engage the wider head of the whistler darts, as opposed to the main, foam body of the dart. One such concern would be whether or not the wheels would get bogged down from the additional contacting mass of the dart being pushed (in regards to follow-up shots).

Motor size is definitely promising. I think the format is 12D or something like that? Could probably fit any number of awesome aftermarket Tamiya motors from the RC market, as well as battery power boosts. May even be able to hook up a capacity to increase initial speed-up of the motors, though most RC motors have pretty decent start-up power.

#285590 Brassed Barrel Break

Posted by Cyphre on 17 September 2010 - 02:10 PM in Modifications

If you're aiming for stefan usage, you're better off either removing the front barrels altogether, or detaching the hinging portion to cock the gun without having to move the barrels.

Are you simply inserting stefans into the rear barrels ready to go? Doesn't seem like you'd need anything modified beyond the seal between the barrels and plungers

#285475 Brassed Barrel Break

Posted by Cyphre on 15 September 2010 - 11:54 PM in Modifications

I'm not quite sure I understand how this is loaded. Doesn't seem like you would gain much of anything with a brass barrel since the stock tubes fit darts pretty snugly and airtight.

#285387 Stampede 18-dart Clip

Posted by Cyphre on 14 September 2010 - 12:37 PM in Modifications

Yeah if I'm not mistaken the spring design is more similar to an actual magazine spring: a boxed coil in the shape of the inner dimensions. Versus the original 6-rounders that use a spring in a Z-shape.

#285377 Nerf Stampede - Mod Guide!

Posted by Cyphre on 13 September 2010 - 10:36 PM in Modifications

Alright so for the non-battery savvy such as myself, what charger are you using? And where did you purchase your batteries and charger?

Batteryspace 14500's seem to only be 750mAh, though fairly cheap overall, but no AA type Li-ion chargers.

#285346 Barrel Break Single Fire Issue

Posted by Cyphre on 13 September 2010 - 02:33 AM in General Nerf

I believe I've found something of a solution in my modifying of this gun.

There are two short ramps which trigger each barrel, first left then right. Unfortunately there is not a lot of material to be shaved down since the piece is not solid, however a little filing can be done, and the top edge of the shorter ramp (for the right side) can be filed down to sort of a curve, a.k.a. chamfering. It removes enough material to prevent the second barrel from firing prematurely without the sharp edge at the top of the ramp.

I'd take pictures, but without the contrast of shiny plastic, its a bit too difficult to see unless I find some other means of taking a photograph of it in other light.

#285344 Nerf Stampede - Mod Guide!

Posted by Cyphre on 12 September 2010 - 11:38 PM in Modifications

As it uses a gear and a strip of gear teeth, you would have the same concerns as an airsoft gun when it comes to durability; there is always a possibility it won't hold up, or will eventually give way from use and abuse. Though in contrast, these are a bit larger and I'm not sure the spring is as strong, but it is within that territory of risk.

#285250 Nerf Stampede - Mod Guide!

Posted by Cyphre on 10 September 2010 - 07:30 PM in Modifications

No changes at all were made to the motor or its wiring? Seems you've run quite a few darts through already, is it overheating or holding up well?

#284988 New Shields?

Posted by Cyphre on 06 September 2010 - 11:20 PM in General Nerf

Not really sure the purpose of this thread either...

If there were ever to be a game, there would be a ruleset for that game, as there is no specific league that determines rules for all foam-related conflicts.

#284818 Nerf Camo Ammo

Posted by Cyphre on 05 September 2010 - 01:10 AM in General Nerf

The only worry would be securing it to something else (whether a belt or bandolier). Due to the obvious weight of darts and clips in nerf, the strength of the velcro is irrelevant unless we're talking about a ridiculously small amount of velcro holding it together (such as a small round tab no bigger than a quarter). Fastex type buckles would also incur a higher cost of manufacture, though in reality anyone could add just such a buckle from anywhere as this material isn't thick enough to be a problem in most sewing machines.

Not sure the darts are worth the $20, but having a pouch purpose-built for clips and darts like this is definitely a step in the right direction. Now if only they just threw on four such pouches on the front of the tac vest and it would be more worthwhile...

#284708 Is The Nerf Tactical Vest Worth The $30?

Posted by Cyphre on 03 September 2010 - 10:24 PM in General Nerf

Certainly interesting to hear it was practically made for adults in comparison to any pre-conceived notion that the target audience was under a certain age. A pretty decent design and most undoubtedly well-made, short of constructing it from 1000D Cordura Nylon XD

I just picked up the bandolier myself which seems to do the job just as well with quite a bit of length on it. The only thing they really need to improve now is the method of holding magazines because they are not at all on the 'tactical' side of things if one cannot easily insert and remove them from their respective holders (an elastic band that is secured at the exact width of the clip, stretching the elastic nearly to its limit).