IamSparticus's Content

There have been 21 items by IamSparticus (Search limited from 07-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#303811 Swarmfire problem

Posted by IamSparticus on 25 August 2011 - 12:01 PM in Modifications

Alright, so I was doing this mod to my Swarmfire, and after I had removed the ARs and was epoxying the plunger back together, I ran into some difficulties. on the epoxy I used, it directed me to clamp the bond. Now, I'm not sure if that was for the 5-minute setting period, or the 24-hours-till-full-strength, but when I removed the clamp, the foam turret seal was compressed and deformed from the force of the clamp.

My question is, how can I fix this, and if not, what are some suggestions for replacing the seal? should I even be worried?

thanks.

IAmSparticus

#280810 Stampede: Leaked

Posted by IamSparticus on 20 July 2010 - 11:39 AM in General Nerf

Posted Image

#267390 Messed Up My Longstrike

Posted by IamSparticus on 28 February 2010 - 04:51 PM in Modifications

thanks. this will really help.

#267364 Messed Up My Longstrike

Posted by IamSparticus on 28 February 2010 - 11:25 AM in Modifications

so i was trying to mod the longstrike, so i added a brass insert in the breech and a brass and cpvc insert in the ex-bolt tooth thingy. now it's too tight, and it wont shoot. the catch is, i super-glued it all. any ideas on how to fix it or single it, or is it just trash?

sorry for the poor image quality, i took them using my webcam

http://img708.imageshack.us/i/picture16l.jpg/][IMG]http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/9783/picture16l.jpg
the muzzle, not sure if you can see anything

[img]http://img708.imageshack.us/i/picture15j.jpg/][IMG]http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/79/picture15j.jpg[/img]
the breech

[img]http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/793/picture14j.jpg[/img]
the bolt with the brass insert

#247401 Rifling Barrels

Posted by IamSparticus on 17 August 2009 - 07:55 PM in Homemades

Using a sabot you have the same problems as using shells, you have to load the dart into them.

If you have just a square piece of larger foam behind the dart, that won't be a problem.

A square piece of foam will not have a good seal in a riffled barrel. Also then your incresing the friction needed to propel the dart. The sabot would have to be shaped like the ammunition for early rifled cannons in the civl war.

by "Square" I mean a piece of foam as ling as it is wide. And yes, that shape would do it.

Even a cylindrical piece of FBR won’t have a good seal in a rifled barrel you’d need a foam that is less dense. In addition if the small piece of foam is propelling the dart then how will you get the dart to spin?

the force of the sabot on the end of the dart would be sufficient to create spin on a dart.

#247400 Rifling Barrels

Posted by IamSparticus on 17 August 2009 - 07:52 PM in Homemades

the blasters that it would be useful on all take ridiculously long to prime.

That is why one would only use this gun for single shots from a concealed position. For example, a singled titan can draw blood at close range, but at longer ranges it is perfectly safe. It's accuracy doesn't permit these sort of shots, however.
When one shot is all you need, priming time isn't an issue.

#247348 Rifling Barrels

Posted by IamSparticus on 17 August 2009 - 01:50 PM in Homemades

Using a sabot you have the same problems as using shells, you have to load the dart into them.

If you have just a square piece of larger foam behind the dart, that won't be a problem.

A square piece of foam will not have a good seal in a riffled barrel. Also then your incresing the friction needed to propel the dart. The sabot would have to be shaped like the ammunition for early rifled cannons in the civl war.

by "Square" I mean a piece of foam as ling as it is wide. And yes, that shape would do it.

#247266 Rifling Barrels

Posted by IamSparticus on 16 August 2009 - 06:18 PM in Homemades

#247264 Rifling Barrels

Posted by IamSparticus on 16 August 2009 - 06:16 PM in Homemades

Every time this question comes up someone doesn't think it all the way through.

There are two types of stabilization of a projectile in motion... spin stabilization and mass stabilization. For example, the muskets that were first rifled to increase accuracy were firing round spheres of lead, which had terrible stabilization, so they needed to spin them in order to stabilize them in flight. On the other hand, a bow and arrow works by firing a very long, very front heavy projectile with a force at the rear end. This type of projectile doesn't need spin stabilization, and frankly it would be a waste of time, resources and energy. We properly weight our darts with 90% of the weight in front to naturally stabilize them in flight, since an object with weight near the front and a force at the back will be stable in flight.

There is absolutely no point in rifling a nerf barrel. PERIOD.

Actually, the bows were spin-stabilized. The fletching made it spin in flight. And mass stabilization only increases the range, not accuracy. Tiny imperfections in the darts could have them going all over the place.

#247259 Rifling Barrels

Posted by IamSparticus on 16 August 2009 - 05:57 PM in Homemades

Nerf HQ

Again, the progressive rifling comes to mind.
In that particular case, the flimsy barrel could have been used as a liner for a larger barrel. This would end said flimsiness.

Yup just put 1/2 in. pvc over it. Simple.

See? This is what I was looking for.

#247251 Rifling Barrels

Posted by IamSparticus on 16 August 2009 - 05:42 PM in Homemades

Nerf HQ

Again, the progressive rifling comes to mind.
In that particular case, the flimsy barrel could have been used as a liner for a larger barrel. This would end said flimsiness.

#247250 Rifling Barrels

Posted by IamSparticus on 16 August 2009 - 05:39 PM in Homemades

We did use normal darts though, maybe if you created a more effective dart to grip the barrel it would do more, but it seems like it would take way to much time.

That "more effective dart" would be a sabot. Not many people really Know what that is, so I will explain it.
A sabot is a larger lining to a bullet or shell that grips the rifling in a gun barrel. A sabot usually is discarded, either on impact or on leaving the barrel. It is well known for use in anti-tank rounds.

#247248 Rifling Barrels

Posted by IamSparticus on 16 August 2009 - 05:34 PM in Homemades

Search.

Rifling Barrel Idea

Helix Barrel

Rifled Barrel

Rifled Barrels

rifled barrels, seems very possible

Barrel Rifling

Not A Rifled Barrel

As you can see, this topic has been discussed just a bit before. Next time please search. Welcome to NH.
Not trying to backseat mod, just trying to help out.

Actually, I did search, and one of those links is broken, two others are alternatives to rifling, and one does not cover progressive rifling.
I appreciate your meticulousness. however, the thought of a sabot dart has not been discussed.

#247241 Rifling Barrels

Posted by IamSparticus on 16 August 2009 - 04:34 PM in Homemades

True, but think of the advantages of an effectively rifled barrel.
As for the darts, a sabot would possibly work for gripping the barrel, if anyone besides me knows what that is.

#247238 Rifling Barrels

Posted by IamSparticus on 16 August 2009 - 04:24 PM in Homemades

There have been many times I have found myself thinking, maybe long range, accurate shots would be possible if only one could discover how to rifle barrels.
An example of how this could be so extremely useful is a comparison between the Brown Bess musket and the Kentucky rifle, both of the same era.
The smooth-bore Brown Bess had an effective range of about three hundred feet, and a maximum range of about nine hundred. The Kentucky rifle, however, with the mere addition of spiraling grooves on the interior of the barrel, had an effective range of nine hundred feet, and a maximum range of two thousand, seven hundred feet, triple that of it's counterpart.
Obviously, rifling would dramatically increase the usefulness of such guns as singled titans and homemade air cannons. There are some technical issues with rifling, though. First, there is the self-apparent difficulty of boring the barrel. Most modern rifles have progressive rifling, where the grooves get steeper further in the barrel, starting at a very gentle slope. Doing this to material such as PVC with affordable tools would be very difficult at best, impossible at worst.
Another difficulty would lie in making darts expand to grip the rifling, a difficult feat of engineering to be sure.

If anyone has any insight into this, it would be greatly appreciated.

#224845 General Blow Gun Stuff

Posted by IamSparticus on 21 April 2009 - 07:10 PM in Homemades

to tell the truth, it only gets about 50-60 feet.
however, the ease of production and use makes it not that bad, actually.

#224840 General Blow Gun Stuff

Posted by IamSparticus on 21 April 2009 - 07:03 PM in Homemades

this is my first post on Nerf haven, and i might as well introduce myself.
my name is Jonathan, but you can call me whatever you want. i am relatively
new to Nerf.I've been Nerfing about 2 years, and I've hasted 1 war( a total disaster!).

I have been making blowguns that fit micros for a little over 3 years, and i have finally found a cheap,
effective design, that i will not disclose hear due to copyright issues.

the barrel length, however, is forty inches, and other ones with a different barrel length don't perform nearly as well.

Impressive young one. i's, hear instead of here, hasted instead of hosted. And a blowgun so awesome it's a secret. And copyrighted? Oh no, if I build the same thing I might get sued by the PVC Gestapo. Good thing you made a topic about it and didn't reveal your secret plans.

if you are trying to sell them, you don't want anyone to just go and build their own, now do you(especially if you are totally ripping them off)?
sorry, it has been a looong day.

#224824 General Blow Gun Stuff

Posted by IamSparticus on 21 April 2009 - 06:32 PM in Homemades

it isn't as hard as it might seem, believe me.

and it can trump a dart tag blaster anytime

#224821 General Blow Gun Stuff

Posted by IamSparticus on 21 April 2009 - 06:29 PM in Homemades

said blowgun is light, compact, versatile(it can fit almost any stock micros except streamlines), and easy to clear jams. my personal blowgun, repeating or loser style, is totally outclassed by these.

plus, it looks a little like an M-16.

#224814 General Blow Gun Stuff

Posted by IamSparticus on 21 April 2009 - 06:23 PM in Homemades

true, but people of similar ages have similarly sized lungs.

anyway, I use PVC piping and stock micros.

#224803 General Blow Gun Stuff

Posted by IamSparticus on 21 April 2009 - 06:08 PM in Homemades

this is my first post on Nerf haven, and i might as well introduce myself.
my name is Jonathan, but you can call me whatever you want. i am relatively
new to Nerf.I've been Nerfing about 2 years, and I've hasted 1 war( a total disaster!).

I have been making blowguns that fit micros for a little over 3 years, and i have finally found a cheap,
effective design, that i will not disclose hear due to copyright issues.

the barrel length, however, is forty inches, and other ones with a different barrel length don't perform nearly as well.