dizzyduck's Content

There have been 491 items by dizzyduck (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#310959 PAS Mod

Posted by dizzyduck on 09 February 2012 - 12:36 PM in Modifications

Angel's had what I refer to as a "pull-out" breech, if I'm reading it correctly, whereas mine is vacuum-loading. So mine has better RoF but worse range.

An 11"-long permanently fixed barrel would make the blaster awkward to handle. There's no way I could load something like that while the blaster was still mounted on my shoulder, even with my freakishly long arms. Just putting the dart in the end of the barrel and holding it in place while priming would be a challenge.

So no, I don't think making a PAS vacuum-load would lead to a higher RoF than a breech. In fact, I suspect it would be just the opposite. Wouldn't it have just been easier and more practical to use a coupler and a speedloader?

#310958 Avatars in the next version of IPB

Posted by dizzyduck on 09 February 2012 - 12:29 PM in Site Feedback

I'm with DX on this issue. I think most of the regulars here can handle uploading their own avatar without things getting out of hand. If need be, you could just restrict the ability to upload avatars to non-FNG members.

#310754 DCNF 3

Posted by dizzyduck on 05 February 2012 - 06:21 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll cast a vote for General Getty, but I know you hate that park (for no real reason aside from the fact that it's "too small").

#310555 Buzzbee Flintlock

Posted by dizzyduck on 01 February 2012 - 09:34 PM in Modifications

Nice write-up. I was wondering when someone would get around to messing with one of these.

#310412 DCNF 3

Posted by dizzyduck on 31 January 2012 - 09:33 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm a maybe, pending my work schedule.

#310159 Grid Code Indoor Nerf War in PA

Posted by dizzyduck on 26 January 2012 - 01:10 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm a tentative "yes" for either date, pending a ride from someone in the DMV. I might have work. I can give more info later.

#308241 DMV Area Nerf War Update

Posted by dizzyduck on 12 December 2011 - 09:18 PM in Nerf Wars

Wheaton is a good venue for early spring (March, before the hordes of picnickers come out of hibernation). I still think General Getty is just fine for small wars where you aren't expecting more than 6-8 people. You're still going to run into the problem of MSI practices at Beall ES before June and after August.

I'd suggest planning on one or two "majors" with the intent of having as many attendees as possible. That way people from PA/NJ/etc. can plan ahead and they don't end up making the trip only to have four or five other people show up. Those would be good wars to host at Beall or Fleming.

Indoor wars are alright, but the only possible venues that come to mind are the Airsoft Tactical Arena in Rockville or the Ultrazone laser tag arenas in NoVa. I don't want to have to deal with UM's bullshit trying to secure the Art-Soc building for an indoor war or deal with Terp Nerf's inability to run a war smoothly.

#307259 NENO 1 Sterling

Posted by dizzyduck on 11 November 2011 - 08:22 PM in Nerf Wars

Oops, I meant to say slugs without felt tips. With felt tips, they're OK.

My slugs use 3.2mm thick craft foam - and haven't been a problem at previous wars. If you want to test them, fine by me, but that's what I intend to use.

#307246 NENO 1 Sterling

Posted by dizzyduck on 11 November 2011 - 03:16 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm still a "we'll see".

Are you disallowing Slugs? If that is the case then I'm probably not coming. I don't have the time, patience, or general desire to make a batch of darts for wars that don't allow slugs when I have a batch of darts for other wars that don't allow anything except for slugs.

#307193 Dc/Bmore indoor nerfing

Posted by dizzyduck on 10 November 2011 - 12:17 AM in Nerf Wars

I'd be interested, but my transportation situation is pretty crappy right now.

#307096 NENO 1 Sterling

Posted by dizzyduck on 07 November 2011 - 05:29 PM in Nerf Wars

I have a stock AT3K for sale... but I still need a ride from a Metro station.

#306490 Shorty Maverick

Posted by dizzyduck on 24 October 2011 - 11:59 PM in Modifications

Very nice. I'd like to try this out on a mav-finder, but I'd probably need to reinforce everything further once I put in a spring replacement.

Did you replace the barrels in the turret? If so, did you extend the barrels all the way down so that they are flush with the bottom of the turret or did you simply make the holes in the back of the turret for the darts before they actually enter the barrel?

#306282 NENO 1 Sterling

Posted by dizzyduck on 21 October 2011 - 11:34 AM in Nerf Wars

Still a "maybe" as long as I am unsure of whether or not I can get a ride out there.

#306009 NENO 1 Sterling

Posted by dizzyduck on 16 October 2011 - 04:14 PM in Nerf Wars

I'd need a ride to and from Metro, but any dates should work fine for me.

#305881 DCNF 3+ Survey

Posted by dizzyduck on 14 October 2011 - 09:00 PM in Nerf Wars

How busy is the park during peak hours (10 AM til 4 PM) on Saturdays? That playground looks fun but I suspect it'll be crawling with kids from sunrise until sundown.

#305811 DCNF 3+ Survey

Posted by dizzyduck on 13 October 2011 - 11:20 AM in Nerf Wars

Sterling's kinda far for me, I'd probably need a ride from Metro.

#305766 DCNF 3+ Survey

Posted by dizzyduck on 12 October 2011 - 02:23 PM in Nerf Wars

I realize I've been pretty MIA this year but I can lend a hand and assist if needed.

#305638 DCNF 3+ Survey

Posted by dizzyduck on 09 October 2011 - 09:08 PM in Nerf Wars

Sundays are meh. I much prefer Saturdays. I can get out to anyplace that is Metro-accesible.

As I said in the DCNF2 thread, I think we should start branching out and trying out some of these other parks in the area. There are plenty of them, not just in MoCo but in Prince George's and in Northern VA too.

#305551 PAS? WHERE TO BUY???

Posted by dizzyduck on 08 October 2011 - 07:56 PM in General Nerf

If you're lucky, you can find one at an online sporting goods retailer. If you're REALLY lucky, you might be able to find one in a sporting goods store like Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops, though the vast majority of those stores are out of stock. In other words, don't hold your breath.

#305258 Sonic Bazooka Decrapification

Posted by dizzyduck on 02 October 2011 - 01:25 AM in Modifications

Just a word of warning for those of you looking to do extensive mods on these: the plastic is of terrible quality (think Wayne TriTech Blaster or Monsters vs. Aliens Area 51 Blaster caliber plastic) and the check valve on mine failed after about 40 shots. I didn't even plug the pump.

#304596 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 11 September 2011 - 07:01 PM in Nerf Wars

Still a "maybe". I have no idea what time I'll be getting back in from New York.

#304532 No Time to Nerf

Posted by dizzyduck on 10 September 2011 - 12:36 AM in Off Topic

Congrats, and take care. It was a pleasure nerfing with you.

#304531 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 10 September 2011 - 12:32 AM in Nerf Wars

War is a week out and we still don't have a definite location.

If Chaos can't make it down to Fleming between now and next Saturday, I'll try to make it down there to scope it out.

#304450 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 07 September 2011 - 09:32 PM in Nerf Wars

Back to a "maybe" as I'm going to be in NYC for a job interview Friday the 16th. I'll still try to make it out, though, even if just for a couple rounds.

#304326 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 05 September 2011 - 08:09 AM in Nerf Wars

The law still makes it illegal to carry a firearm, both openly and concealed. And DC police will still badger the snot out of you for having one. The only difference is that now they can't arrest you for owning a licensed handgun.

DC cops just aren't worth dealing with.

#304311 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 04 September 2011 - 09:29 PM in Nerf Wars

Fort Bayard is in DC.

I'd recommend avoiding hosting a war in the District itself; DC cops can be really anal when it comes to Nerf with the handgun ban and everything.

#304297 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 04 September 2011 - 07:49 PM in Nerf Wars

No date changes, please. It wouldn't be fair to those of us who have had our schedules set around the war happening on the 17th.

#304265 PAS - Speed Modding Challenge!

Posted by dizzyduck on 03 September 2011 - 09:08 PM in Modifications

Haha I like this! Most of the time is just watching you handle the screws.
Are there any other blasters that are this easy to mod?

Big Blast: saw off missile post, insert barrel, secure barrel. Instant 90+-foot-shooting blaster.

#304162 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 01 September 2011 - 08:14 AM in Nerf Wars

First post still says Clarksburg, please update or verify.

Also I'm back to "definite" assuming the war is at Fleming, and a "no" if the war is in Clarksburg.

#304078 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 30 August 2011 - 04:26 PM in Nerf Wars

Trees are free and you don't have to carry them. Also the more time you spend fussing over mobstacles, the less time you have to actually get out there and nerf.

I can't make it out to Clarksburg. It's just too damn far.

#304061 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 30 August 2011 - 06:59 AM in Nerf Wars

So are we officially moving this war to Fleming?

#304020 Cutting springs

Posted by dizzyduck on 29 August 2011 - 12:34 AM in Homemades

I just use a hacksaw.

#303961 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 28 August 2011 - 11:28 AM in Nerf Wars

Looking over Google Earth images, it appears to be one gigantic field with nothing else really there but picnic shelters and a playground.

Oh, and porta-potties suck.

Are you sure there aren't any other venues you could find with more cover - trees, trails, etc.?

EDIT:
Clarksburg is halfway to Frederick. You might as well call it Frederick Nerf Out or whatever. The whole point of having a DC area war is to make it easier for folks in the DC area to attend.

I'm looking at MoCo Parks' website and see at least a half-dozen potential venues with better features and Metro access. Probably the best one I see is Cabin John Regional Park - not too far from Beall. The park has features similar to Wheaton and is accessible by bus.

Crowds could be an issue but I'm willing to try it out for once. We really do need to get out and find other options in the area when Beall is unavailable.

Another option is Fleming Local Park, which is ideal because the picnic area is first-come first-served (no reservations required, so no having to worry about getting bumped by a cookout or birthday party). There's nearby bus service too.

Some other options to look up that are close enough to Beall:
Good Hope Park
Long Branch Park
Meadowbrook Park
Norwood Park
Capitol View/Homewood Park

#303917 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 27 August 2011 - 03:28 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm taking Metro, so unless there's a change in venue (or I can get a ride), I'm out.

#303879 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 26 August 2011 - 05:52 PM in Nerf Wars

I don't know, when i went there it seemed kind of small, and a lot of people in the park.

I've already hosted one war there, and it worked out well. We had 9-10 people, I believe, for M3 Encore last year.

The only other alternative in the vicinity that jumps to mind is Wheaton, and I already explained why I'd rather not try to have a war there.

#303877 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 26 August 2011 - 05:31 PM in Nerf Wars

I'd need a ride to any locations in Burtonsville.

I already recommended General Getty for its relative proximity (a whole lot closer to Rockville than any location in Northern VA) and the probability that there won't be any soccer there either. Unless you checked the schedule and MSI has games there too.

#303613 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 20 August 2011 - 05:54 PM in Nerf Wars

Edit: How do you find a good place to war

Scope around. Find parks that have interesting features (trees for cover, etc.) and aren't flooded with people on the weekends. Also do your homework and figure out if there are reservations at those parks for big events, etc. You might run into birthday parties or cookouts where the people already reserved the picnic tables or shelters, so you'll want to have a back-up in case your plans don't work out.

#303538 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 19 August 2011 - 12:01 AM in Nerf Wars

Changing status from definite to probable. I may have to work that weekend.

#303457 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 17 August 2011 - 04:45 PM in Nerf Wars

I'd prefer not to have the war at Wheaton. It's a great location, but there are usually too many people there on Saturdays to hold a war there without having to worry about getting in the way of stuff.

General Getty is not too small - I hosted M3 Encore there last year and it ran just fine. It's a good backup park because it's not flooded with picnickers like Wheaton is on the weekends. Unless you're expecting more than 20 people, it should work.

Bruin Park is kind of far from the original location and not very Metro-accessible, but we shouldn't have to worry about youth soccer matches disrupting the war. I'm sure there are similar parks closer to Beall.

There are other parks in the DMV. It's kind of boring that we end up using the same venue every time.

#303440 All You Need Is NERF: DCNF#2

Posted by dizzyduck on 17 August 2011 - 01:12 AM in Nerf Wars

Is there a backup location in case Beall is being used for MSI?