Zorns Lemma's Content

There have been 1000 items by Zorns Lemma (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#363967 Armageddon XX: SoCal's Largest NIC War (6/29/19)

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 05 June 2019 - 12:30 AM in Nerf Wars

If the person who took the clamps holding up the trash bags at the end of the war last year is attending this year, please return them thanks.

#363883 gun vs blaster debate/ gun+blaster use in yesteryears

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 13 May 2019 - 01:12 PM in General Nerf

We've been calling them blasters for probably longer than you've been alive. The emphasis on moving away from firearm nomenclature arises from the believe that nerf is a hobby/community/activity and not consumer armchair military fetishism (i.e. airsoft, which is heavily retail-consumption based).

#362169 On the topic of SCAR barrels

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 01 January 2018 - 05:28 PM in Darts and Barrels

[extremely 2009 voice] Due to low density variation in traditional projectiles, the center of mass is far from the nose and close to where the sum of fluid forces act, and so the projectile will tumble in flight along axes not parallel to the direction of travel. This is mitigated by spherical projectiles, but even these when rotating during travel will suffer from the Magnus effect. Thus, imparting spin to these projectiles improves stability by adding a large amount of angular momentum around the desired flight axis.

On the other hand, in foam projectiles, the center of mass is far forward from the center of pressure. Thus any tumbling motion though an axis not parallel to the direction of travel is resisted by a restoring force in the fluid field. In this case, attempting to give gyroscopic stability will have very little impact on flight stability. [/extremely 2009 voice]

I can't believe 10 years later this discussion is still going on.

(Regarding solving the muzzle blast issue for fishtail-inducing turbulence, I simply installed a longer barrel in my Caliburn, but I suppose kids buying kits and not in the modding hobby don't have various lengths of barrel material sitting around)

#361746 Rival series flywheels and Magnus Effect?

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 10 October 2017 - 11:42 PM in Modifications

If the idea of doing it with desync'd motors is to avoid the power loss of a hopup, for the projectile to receive spin, you will need slipping past one of the other motors, which means you have to tune both your motors speeds and tune the friction difference between your two flywheels and not really avoid any power loss compared to just driving both motors at the same speed and imparting your spin later.

You should definitely focus experimentation with homemade hopup modifications and report the results. Alternatively you can probably find some 3rd-party modification that wasn't tested at all but is marketed to do m a g i c and waste money on it because applying critical thinking and experimentation is too much cognitive load.

#361745 Caliburn: Mag-fed Pump-action Springer

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 10 October 2017 - 11:32 PM in Homemades

Is there a reason the holes in the plastic bolt attachment for mounting the rails are printed so loose? In ESLTs any hole that goes into the plunger tube is tapped, even if all structural support comes from external tube or rails, because this mean the incoming screw will mostly seal.

Most of the holes still have to be drilled out, so I feel it's reasonable that even if the horizontal/ortho-planar aluminum rail mounting holes on the bolt piece aren't tapped, they should at least be printed to a smaller bore, and then either drill+tap it for 4-40 or drill a slightly larger hole and self tap the 4-40 rail attachment screw through there.

I epoxied together my bolt but still saw poor outdoor performance even with a [k26] until I filled the holes in that rail area in with MEK.

#361744 What would you people consider the rarest blasters or attachments?

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 10 October 2017 - 11:24 PM in General Nerf

The rarest attachment is critical thinking ability.

#361643 On the Worker Prophecy and Accufake Stefans?

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 24 September 2017 - 02:23 PM in Darts and Barrels

Rifled barrels don't work for tip-weighted foam projectiles. Don't be a squid.

#360960 Armageddon XVIII: SoCal's Largest NIC War (6/24/17) NOW RECAPPING

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 10 July 2017 - 08:58 PM in Nerf Wars

Pros:

- Fun war, fun peeps

Cons:

- Reloading magazines means we played less than one round per hour of Nerf, not counting the lunch break that went over

- Confusing objective placement that was unsuccessful in motivating more creative nerfing than standing near the spawn

- Unfortunately lacking in large avian apex predators and confirmed kill counts

#360632 APOCALYPSE 2017 - Saturday August 5th in Ocean Township, NJ

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 18 June 2017 - 01:27 AM in Nerf Wars

The facebook event is the 2016 one

#359655 University of Chicago Nerf Email

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 03 May 2017 - 12:12 AM in Off Topic

HvZ at UChicago is awful.

#359473 Nerf supermaxx 5000 tank leaking. Solutions or at2k tank?

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 26 April 2017 - 12:03 AM in Modifications

Thank you. But finding another supermaxx 5000 won't be easy. So basically when I pump the tank up, if I take the pump rod out, pressure builds in the pump tube if I cover it with my hand, within 30 seconds. Within a few mins there's barely any air left in the tank. What is causing this. How can I fix? Information above doesn't solve the issue yet.

Your described issue is speculated in a prior that definitely gives you the information you need to solve your problem:

If its actually leaking back down the line then it sounds like a bad check valve in your pump. Swap the pump and see if you still have a problem. A pump swap should be very simple and leave you with a wide amount of options for substitutes.

#355522 Artifact darts

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 13 August 2016 - 02:58 PM in Darts and Barrels

Quick update: Ran through these at APOC. Despite about a week's worth of testing, I alternated between shooting lasers and shooting cheetos.

Based on anecdotal evidence when I was trying to fire them rapidly with pump action no only was my aim off more, but the darts also tended to fishtail. It may be because when I'm aiming I aim up and so there's better initial stabilization thanks to drag forces and gravity.

Also they need a slightly special wye to shoot well, will post that when I get a chance.

However if you're short on time and OK with B/B- dart performance, these can't be beat. Men-gun darts are 25% more expensive ($10 more per 1k), much harder to get to feed, and have to be cut down. Hopefully artifact releases his new version of darts so I can see if stubbier head profiles have better weight distrubtion and flight.

#355393 Apocalypse 2016 - August 6th in Ocean Township, NJ

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 07 August 2016 - 09:37 PM in Nerf Wars

Pros:

- hanging out with friends again (special thanks Phil and Ted)

- 29 confirmed hits in the 5 rounds I participated in, for a 29/7/92 K/D/A

- Ice Nine, JLego, Koree + Wonder Twins making this back-to-back coast-to-coast war festival mania

- Getting to actually nerf with Gears instead of sweet juice wizarding in cancer shacks

- Seeing Slug again since 2009 Deal

- 11fps freeze-frame gif material of Phil eating a Frosty™

Cons:

- sex toys not belonging to Dom

- the internet

#355133 Trishula: 3 rods and 3 kinds of springs

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 21 July 2016 - 04:28 PM in Homemades

Since the plunger system is backwards, does that make it a reverse plunger? Over all the system looks like what the mega centurion should have functioned like.

No

#355131 Artifact darts

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 21 July 2016 - 04:15 PM in Darts and Barrels

ACCs fly better when they do fly, while these darts hopper well and fly like streamlines. Hoping a better barrel combination solves this.

#355114 SPANO 2016

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 20 July 2016 - 05:54 PM in Nerf Wars

Ryan and I will be bringing 3k darts, but they may or may not fly straight.

Midwest nerfers: does anyone know of a good foam source from any of the chains we have available (Lowe's, Ace, True Value, Homie D, etc)? I did a McMaster order, and found that the 20' lengths of FBR they stock are the Dennis brand...same stuff that Menard's currently carries, and is woefully undersized. I'm at crunch time for foam for .5" CPVC barrels. Any ideas?

#354987 Extension Spring Lettuce & Tomato

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 14 July 2016 - 04:22 AM in Homemades

I modded my ESLT to use rod seals, but my redirect piece was 3D printed so it was much easier to have the structure needed to support such a seal.

http://www.mcmaster....-seals/=139xtz1

Moving up to a 5/16" sheath would allow using one of the much higher pressure rated seals, so maybe that will improve sealing even more (but seems like most of the power loss for mine isn't at that area now anyways)

#354840 Artifact darts

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 06 July 2016 - 08:05 PM in Darts and Barrels

I just received 1000 of these, white foam with red tips (which is one of the color options on the newest iteration of the TaoBao page). They come in packs of 50, which is pretty nifty for redistributing (I don't plan to do so with any of these I picked up), plus I got an extra bonus dart in the package

Though I could've ordered directly through TaoBao, it appears their international shipping gets aggregated on the 3rd week of every month, so to make sure I could get these darts in a reasonable time, I went through a TaoBao agent (BuyChina in this case).

Timeline:
Jun-16 Order placed and finalized / paid
Jun-20 Taobao agent receives the shipment from Artifact domestically (China)
Jun-21 Shipped from Shanghai on DHL
Jun-26 Arrives in USA via Germany
Jul-1 Arrived on my doorstep

Cost was $42 shipped for these, whereas it would've been around $36 directly with Taobao, so $6 overhead for going through an agent (well worth it if you can't navigate taobao either with Chinese literacy or general ecommerce UI knowledge + google translate).

I've already started doing some testing, although preliminary results seem to indicate shortcomings in the quality of my measuring equipment/methodology than in the darts

Some mass variance results:
https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

I did this testing in two chunks separated by a break and it looks like something happened with the humidity in my place (opened some windows, it was raining). Unscientific analysis estimates mass to be between 1.12 and 1.13g (my scale apparently refuses to display 1.13) with 99.97% of darts falling between 1.1 and 1.15g

#354839 Hole Door

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 06 July 2016 - 07:54 PM in Darts and Barrels

Would the foam seal degrade over time and how well does it seal under firing pressures?

I'd love to make a replacement for ball valves to reduce how bulky the setup is, but one nice thing is the ball valve + extended leverage arm setup I have has lasted ~5 years without requiring any maintenance.

#354591 Armageddon XVII: SoCal's Largest NIC War (2016)

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 27 June 2016 - 01:10 AM in Nerf Wars

I uploaded some photos from this year's war: https://www.facebook...=1&l=ff75efc839

Seeing everyone again was excellent, especially with more regional representation this year as well. Hopefully I'll get the chance to come out again next year!

The only things I would improve would be having better dart supply (hopefully mass produced artifact domes will solve this in the near future) so that downtime is minimized, everyone can have standardized barrels and use any darts, and that way we can play more rounds.

7vep7lR.jpg

#354300 SPANO 2016

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 17 June 2016 - 02:19 AM in Nerf Wars

Hell Yea

#354214 Spring Binding in Floating-Plunger-Head SNAP

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 15 June 2016 - 02:19 AM in Homemades

I've build multiple blasters using a compression spring and stub of a plunger head. You need to have some sort of endcap on the back of your plunger head to seat around the spring and also stabilize the plunger head in the plunger tube, and then a thicker plunger "rod" bit as well.

What's extra helpful is having a tube in your spring rest that can fit inside your spring but outside the plunger rod. Here's a picture from my FAL-3 writeup
IMG_20130117_201658.jpg

The red section is a rainbow catch + spring rest. Since you're building a snap this would just be your endcap in the plunger tube. You can barely make out a white rod that comes out of the red section, that's a piece of tube that fits inside my spring but also outside the plunger rod. Since I have to catch on my plunger rod, the tube is quite thing -- you're catching on the plunger head itself so you can probably use something like 1/2" PVC and center it in your rear bushing with creative plumbing.

#353775 Armageddon XVII: SoCal's Largest NIC War (2016)

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 26 May 2016 - 04:05 PM in Nerf Wars

See y'all there nerds

#349911 Chunlin Darts on Amazon, similar to Xplorer darts

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 08 December 2015 - 03:57 PM in Darts and Barrels

HI, I just had to add about both of these darts- black ACC and knock-off megas. I got them both off aliexpress last week.

the black ACC look neat, but my voltage modded stryfe pulled off the head of one out five darts shot. and ranges are inconsistent: sometimes crap, sometimes awesome. they don't seem to be glued well at all.

as for the knock-off megas. the foam isn't as stiff as Hasbro megas. the rubbery heads are a mediocre cast- almost too thin on some sides. I tested them with my spring enhanced cyclonshock and this is what I think: the dart don't seal the barrel as well as the brand darts. ranges are far worse than regular megas. don't waste your money on these. oh, and the don't whistle since they have no hole.

Do yo u have the link for the chunlin darts? They've been taken off of amazon.

#349910 NIC Style and SAMBO are stupid names....

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 08 December 2015 - 03:49 PM in Off Topic

I propose we rebrand "NIC Style" to "SPN [Superior Pātriciae Nerf] Style"

#347781 Armageddon XVI

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 10 July 2015 - 02:26 AM in Nerf Wars

Here's my set:
https://www.facebook...=1&l=3873aef696

Mostly of the Ultimate Core Penetration round and then the final 4-team Carpe round.

#347724 Apocalypse 2015 - Recapping on page 5

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 06 July 2015 - 05:52 PM in Nerf Wars

If anyone going to APOC this year needs a place to stay the night before the war, I have a hotel booked Friday night a few minutes from the location. Send me a PM

#347389 GRZ'S BDAY BEATDOWN

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 23 June 2015 - 11:55 AM in Nerf Wars

First.

#347375 Armageddon XVI

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 22 June 2015 - 11:40 PM in Nerf Wars

Tuned up all my blasters this weekend and did a trial run at the SCSNW event. Can't wait to blast you guys.

I'll also be doing photography again for all of the patty-cake rounds because nerfing isn't fun if the objective of the game isn't just lasering dudes from 100'+ away.

#347370 flywheel idea

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 22 June 2015 - 11:11 PM in Modifications

Don't call foam blasters "weapon systems" and if you need a tripod for one then your expectations of what we do here do not match reality.

#347042 SPANO 2015

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 04 June 2015 - 01:43 PM in Nerf Wars

Confirmed.

#346761 MN Spring Training 2015

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 15 May 2015 - 12:11 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm going to this now.

#346708 Quick Exhaust Valve Homemade Airgun v1.0

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 12 May 2015 - 10:01 PM in Homemades

I think anyone who can put IKEA furniture together can order a bunch of high-rated fittings, valves, regulators, and tanks and kill small mammals with it.

You should expand your design goal 2) to be more specific:

2a) Doesn't look like a paintball gun / airsoft gun (necessary for public nerfing in the USA)
2b) Doesn't cost more than an ESLT / [insert mid-range airsoft blaster here] (low barrier to entry for nerfing)
2c) Runs at low pressure (additional safety measure to make the design idiot-proof)
2d) Requires hand pumping / intentionally gimped ROF (otherwise you should just go play airsoft)

#346534 How many blasters do you bring?

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 04 May 2015 - 12:48 AM in Site Feedback

At my first war I only had 3 "primary" blasters (Big Bad Bow, Dart tag head RSCB'd Big Blast, and a Firefly).

At my peak I probably had ~5 primaries between +boids variations, Crossbow, Quadshot, and a Big Blast.

After peaking in war density in ~2010 I've probably tapered down in blasters, carrying a couple of FAL variations mostly as tech demonstration and variety. As I've had to pack lighter and fly to wars while also not having as much time to just tinker and maintain blasters my goal is to have a single blaster that packs into a standard carry-on bag and requires no maintenance (currently an ESLT).

#346406 Apocalypse 2015 - Recapping on page 5

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 23 April 2015 - 04:10 PM in Nerf Wars

And you guys thought I was dead, right?

"Going."

Me 2

#346273 Armageddon XVI

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 18 April 2015 - 12:27 PM in Nerf Wars

Probably will be at this one. Still have to figure out how to also hit up APOC and hopefully there's a big midwest war this year too.

#346251 Apocalypse 2015 - Recapping on page 5

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 17 April 2015 - 03:56 PM in Nerf Wars

Any way this could be the 8th?

#346238 MN Spring Training 2015

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 17 April 2015 - 01:50 AM in Nerf Wars

I have to be in Chicago that weekend.

#345763 [PA] Nerf War at Plains Airsoft Arena, Sunday March 22nd

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 24 March 2015 - 01:42 AM in Nerf Wars

Great location and fast pacing with a small group meant I spent more time Nerfing than taking photos.

Here's a couple from the one 3-15 Team Deathmatch we played:
https://www.facebook...100004214209428

#344574 Rave's Quick Tips- add/replace springs!

Posted by Zorns Lemma on 24 January 2015 - 09:46 PM in Modifications

Every post in this thread sucks.