Gyrvalcon's Content

There have been 104 items by Gyrvalcon (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#279721 Preeminent Plunger Head

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 07 July 2010 - 08:41 PM in Homemades

2nd method: (...) For the second method, you'll need to create a funnel of sorts for the screw head so it doesn't get caught on the roofing nail catch.

The word you're looking for is "countersink". Good tutorial, and a very clean end-product.

#208220 Modified Saw

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 31 January 2009 - 01:06 PM in Off Topic

Cool SAW/Grenade launcher thing. Very realistic.

You do realize that it's a real firearm, right? That's why it's so "realistic".

And yeah, the whole thing was built around the SAW/Chainsaw pun, I think.

#208124 Modified Saw

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 31 January 2009 - 02:04 AM in Off Topic

Posted Image

Posted Image

I found these pictures while browsing a popular imageboard. I don't usually post ephemera like this, but I though some folks might get a kick out of it; it sure does look like the NERF Vulcan, doesn't it? Apparently it's a M249 SAW with a 37mm grenade launcher and some obvious cosmetic modifications. It was a one-off for SHOT 2008, as the story goes.

#205439 Categorizing Mods And Homemades.

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 22 January 2009 - 06:50 PM in General Nerf

I would say that the crucial difference between homemade and modified blaster should be whatever system is actually propelling the nerf dart.

You could build a custom shell and action, and as long as it uses a air system or plunger tube from a Lanard/Nerf/Buzzbee blaster, it's still a mod.

If, on the other hand, you take a shell and action from a stock blaster and replace the internals with a SNAP plunger tube (for example), it's a homemade.

It still comes down to exercising common sense for wars. I think all blasters should be taken on a case by case basis, homemade and modified alike.

#201653 What The Fuck?

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 07 January 2009 - 03:49 PM in Modifications

I have to say, this looks pretty fucking clean for this kind of hackery. Perhaps to increase the trigger pull you could turn the pressure release valve around and then use a lever to operate it. The lever could both reverse and change the length the pull.

Anyways, I like how good it looks.

#196863 Hornet Issues

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 17 December 2008 - 09:09 PM in Modifications

Well, maybe I'll just tear the thing apart and try a FANG style blaster using stock parts. Thanks for the input.

By the by, does anyone have a ballpark pressure rating for the Hornet blast chambers?

#196861 Hornet Issues

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 17 December 2008 - 08:52 PM in Modifications

I bought a Nerf Hornet from one of the guys at Massacre, and to my chagrin it's not doing so hot.

My diagnoses:

One of the blast chambers/quick exhaust valves is leaking. This keeps the internal pressure of the whole gun low, so that it can fire, but doesn't get much range. If I can't fix the valveon the bad blast chamber (doubt it), is my only option to amputate/plug the faulty blast chamber?

I'm not including pics just because there's nothing visibly wrong with it, I'm just looking for a second opinion.

#196031 Massacre

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 14 December 2008 - 02:04 AM in Nerf Wars

Kickass war. Not equal to HBH, but excellent considering the circumstances.

Highlights from my day include a sweet team doubles game with Crooked, coming in second to "Uncle Fester".
Some damn fine hits from across the gym with by borrowed AT3K, and some equally amazing shots scored on me.
Forsaken's collection keeps these afloat, he's really doing an incredible amount getting the Canadian nerfer thing going, especially with his wicked arsenal. A lot of high powered blasters in a pretty small room!

Excellent seeing people come up from Stateside, too!

Huge thanks to everyone who helped put this together.

#195710 Massacre

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 12 December 2008 - 07:38 PM in Nerf Wars

I'd love to pick up a few longshot/recon mags while I'm at this war, if someone has extras. Price negotiable.

#195362 The "stefanzooka"

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 10 December 2008 - 10:37 PM in Homemades

Electical tape will not cover leaks. Use Goop on leaks.
Other than that, cool. Looks like a boomstick.

As has been said before, goop isn't good for making airtight PVC joints either. Use PVC cement to solvent weld the joints. It's not expensive or difficult.

#194337 Not A Rifled Barrel

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 06 December 2008 - 02:58 PM in Homemades

You mean a muzzle brake, Slug. And that would get annoying because it means the dart can catch on a port hole and shred, it has happened to me. And it would increase noise, not good things in a war. :angry:

If you countersink the hole from inside the barrel (dremel +spherical abrasive bit is good for this) you shouldn't have much problem with darts catching. As for sound, I'm dubious that porting would make a significant difference in a nerf blaster, not to mention that noise isn't really an issue with nerf anyways.

#193498 Maverick / Titan Integration

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 02 December 2008 - 02:52 PM in Modifications

That is one damn good looking mod. A scattergun would probably make this an effective secondary, because even when you panic and pull it out, you're still sending a lot of foam at the target.

#192821 Fang Automatic Nerf Gun, Prototype 1

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 29 November 2008 - 06:52 PM in Homemades

This looks really excellent. It's nice to see a semi-auto homemade that's so simple, with mainly off-the-shelf parts.

#192498 Hell Before Halloween. #2 Video.

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 28 November 2008 - 02:48 PM in Nerf Wars

Sweet video. Nicely edited, must have taken some time. Can't wait for Massacre!

#190893 The New Xbox Experience

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 20 November 2008 - 01:54 AM in Off Topic

I'm fucking raging over this "update". It's real purdy, sure, but it's kind of difficult to play without fucking sound. I play on a 24" BenQ monitor via HDMI, with my cans plugged into the monitor's 3.5mm jack, and I'm getting nothing. Not in the menu, not in game, not ever. Some people are saying that you can take off the hardrive, boot the system up, and reattach it as a fix, but it's sure not working for me.

Leave it to MS to release unfinished "improvements" that actually just break a perfectly functional system.

<Edit>

I've Macgyver'd together an interim connection by:

-stripping off the protector on the composite adapter, so it can fit in beside the HDMI.
-using 4 alligator clip jumpers to go from the stereo RCA to a 1/4" TRS connected headphones.
-I had to use a paper-clip to extend the alligator clip to get it to fit onto the right (middle ring) channel of the TRS connector.
-It works, but it's fragile, and too quiet due to all the shitty connections. But I'm Live again!

Here's hoping for a patch by tomorrow...

#190301 Massacre

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 17 November 2008 - 06:01 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there.

#185563 Hell Before Halloween. #2

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 25 October 2008 - 10:03 PM in Nerf Wars

It was my first war , and a damn fine one. The weather was decent, and really excellent towards the middle of the day. My NF was even more useless than VACC had predicted, and unreliable to boot, and my Magstrike crapped out on me, but FA24 lent me a coupler modded AT2K that served admirably. I was amazed at the variety of blasters people brought along, that was nifty. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures, but that will have to wait.

My thanks to everyone who helped make this a great war.

#184302 Nightfinder W/ Magazine

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 17 October 2008 - 12:56 PM in Modifications

It'd be great as a catch for a removable magazine, true, but then you'd need another addition to the magazine to keep all the darts from popping out of a loaded magazine. The only removable (straight feed) magazine that I recall was for Ompa's magazine-in-handle pistol, and he used a piece of thread wrapped over the top of the magazine to keep the darts in. Of course, CaptainSlug has posted some retainer ideas, and I have a few myself, but for simplicity's sake I think I'll stick with a fixed magazine. For this blaster, anyhow...

Edit: Also, I just noticed an extensive selection of rare-earth magnets in the Lee Valley hardware catalog. Spherical, hemispherical, ring, cylinder, cupped, everything you could want.

#184186 Nightfinder W/ Magazine

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 16 October 2008 - 07:09 PM in Modifications

I think (and I don't know, this is my first modification) that it would be about the same as a Nightfinder with a coupler and loaded barrel. My original intent was to attach the breech actuator to the stock cocking handle, and then put it on a spring return, so that normal operation would be exactly the same as stock, but it would autoload. As it turns out, the brass breech creates a lot of friction, so I would need a strong spring to make this work, not to mention a way to have the actuating rod detach from the cocking handle midway through the pull. Who knows, maybe I'll return to it at a later date and address these issues.

As for the magnets, if I see some, I'll pick some up if I see them, but for now I'm going to pursue a hardware solution.

#184131 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 16 October 2008 - 04:29 PM in Modifications

Nightfinder w/ Magazine

Posted Image

#184128 Nightfinder W/ Magazine

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 16 October 2008 - 04:13 PM in Modifications

The magazine is made out of 3mm tinted polycarbonate. Right now loading is kind of fiddly, because you need to hold down the darts that have been loaded through the loading port while you insert new ones, but I've cut a slot that runs all the way up the back of the magazine, so I'm adding a little wire handle that pulls the follower down, just like on Boltsniper's BS-9.

As for a writeup, I'm not going to do a comprehensive one. The BS-9 page goes in depth on the breech system, and other than that it's pretty straightforward. I'll be more than happy to help with any specific questions though.

#184117 Nightfinder W/ Magazine

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 16 October 2008 - 03:34 PM in Modifications

Magnets are a good idea, but it is important to me for the blaster to feel solid, so I'll probably go with a different system in the long run. Glue would be fine for when the blaster is operational, but I want to be able to take it apart to fix broken parts, jams, etc.

#184101 Nightfinder W/ Magazine

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 16 October 2008 - 02:39 PM in Modifications

Thanks for the compliments.

It's actually a dollar-store knockoff TTG, so I had no hesitations donating it to this blaster. The magazine spring is made of a constant force spring from inside a cheap tape measure. Be careful when bending these, they're fairly brittle.

Posted Image

The joint between the brass and the actuator rod was difficult. I've bent a tab up from the brass through the slot. The rod was ground to have a flat face on it, and then superglued to the tab. Then I wrapped some thin wire around it, and superglued that as well. This is my third solution to this problem, hopefully it holds.

Posted Image

I think that with some more mods the range will improve. Later I'll re-seat the O-ring, add another spring, and see what the ranges are.

I don't want the plunger hitting home on the brass boltface, especially if I double up the springs, so I didn't make the spring oversized. In fact, I padded the plunger with an evazote foam ring because I was so afraid of it destroying itself.

It took me a while, yeah. I wasn't keeping track, but it was the finicky little things that have taken the longest; the connections, the tiny little cuts, etc.

#184091 Nightfinder W/ Magazine

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 16 October 2008 - 02:03 PM in Modifications

Breaching a secondary or sidearm is, generally speaking, incredibly impractical for use in a nerf war.

And with that in mind, this is my Nightfinder with a fixed magazine. Credit to Ompa and Boltsniper for the basics of the breech design.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It uses a 10 dart fixed magazine made of polycarbonate and a nested brass breech. The only other modification, aside from the breech, is a spring replacement, using a section of AR-15 spring. Ranges are 40'-45'

After cocking, the breech is actuated with the upper handle. The section of 17/32" brass slides into the plunger tube, allowing a dart to pop in. Close the breech, and it's ready to fire. Note: Currently the magazine is taped on. I'm going to need to add some hardpoints to attach it to the shell with.

A close up of the internals:

Posted Image

Questions and comments are welcome.

#176753 My Idea Of What A Longshot Should Look Like

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 11 September 2008 - 09:16 PM in Modifications

That's really clean looking, nice work. Best external mod that I've seen since the front gun integration.

#175086 What Kind Of Rifle Would You Want Made Into A Nerf Rifle

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 04 September 2008 - 11:34 PM in Homemades

Ugh...

This shit doesn't belong in Homemades. There are no homemade guns in this thread. If this was in General Nerf or some other sub-forum, I wouldn't post, but Homemades is my haven within the Haven, and I would appreciate it if some effort was made to keep the level of quality that we see from posters like Captain Slug, Carbon, Doom, and the like. Ompa too, if he's still around.

Bugger off with the fantasy-milsim crap, alright?

#167448 Arr!

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 08 August 2008 - 05:37 PM in Homemades

Have you decided which QEV and directional control valve you're going to use?

#167444 Design For Comments/critique

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 08 August 2008 - 05:18 PM in Homemades

You're going to need a couple check valves before the air tanks, or else you'll dump both tanks when you fire the first shot.

#166837 Homemade Magazine

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 06 August 2008 - 02:56 PM in Homemades

I've found a pretty good material in the springs that drive crappy little measuring tapes. I originally intended to use it as a constant-force spring, but I found that it works great if you just bend it into a zigzag shape. It's not strong enough to really squish my darts, and it's easy and clean to make.

The measuring tape I used sold at my hardware store for around a dollar, and had a magnet on it to hold it to whatever. It was tiny, too, maybe 1.5" square in profile.

#165775 Directional Control Valve Actuated Qev

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 31 July 2008 - 11:14 PM in Homemades

Wow, this is great. As much fun as it is trying to make a decent valve system with PVC and a dremel, I like this even more.

#157975 Pbpb Writeup

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 03 June 2008 - 10:16 PM in Modifications

A fine, simple mod, but posting "eyeballed" ranges will only get you grief on the Haven. Get us ranges, fired exactly level from shoulder height and you'll have our attention.

#157396 Ntdmg

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 29 May 2008 - 05:45 PM in Homemades

Brass isn't magnetic.

#156751 Favorite Video Game Weapon

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 23 May 2008 - 06:06 PM in Off Topic

I play Halo CE, 2, and 3 pretty exclusively. M6D Pistol from Halo CE is my favorite. As Vociferous on the Ascendant Justice blog so eloquently put it, "The piece of God's throne that was subsequently lost".

#156387 Scout Paintjob

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 20 May 2008 - 07:50 AM in Modifications

I like the paintjobs. They're subtle, and you don't see that much on nerf blasters. Excellent work.

#155849 Recon Faster Reload?

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 14 May 2008 - 07:30 PM in Modifications

He wanted an idea to base his work off and I gave him one.

But it's a bad idea. Hell, it's not an idea at all. You drew a paint picture of how to wire an electric motor to a PP3 battery. You didn't show a linkage of any type between the cocking/loading mechanism and the motor. You didn't specify the motor type, or check if it had enough power to compress the spring and cycle the action using the non-existent mechanical linkage. Bad ideas get killed. Leave this one to die in peace.

#155845 Recon Faster Reload?

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 14 May 2008 - 07:05 PM in Modifications

No.

AEG Nerf Blasters have not been proven feasable, yet. The Vulcan might just prove me wrong on that count.

The Magstrike works from a pressurized air tank, while the Recon uses a plunger system. They are not compatible with each other.

It is physically possible to link the trigger to the cocking mechanism, but due to the mechanical advantage (or lack thereof) you couldn't pull the trigger.

If you want a semi-auto blaster, Deaddumpster has the right idea, and the Recon isn't the blaster you want.

#147113 Intro / Question

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 26 March 2008 - 02:31 PM in Homemades

Personally, I'd try and find a design with few seals and moving parts that can be made with simpler tools. Especially for your first homemade.

#147091 Arr!

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 26 March 2008 - 11:50 AM in Homemades

I hate to play the ignorant one, but I'm having trouble understanding the air circuit, could you lay it out for us? I really like the aesthetics of the design, I just want to understand how it works.

#147084 Intro / Question

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 26 March 2008 - 11:04 AM in Homemades

Hey Hubb, just thought I might be able to contribute. I was working on a variation of Dr. Nerf's/Doom's valve myself, although it's "on hold" at the moment. Here's the scheme.

Action Concept
Posted Image

Making it Easier to Manufacture
Posted Image

The original thread is here.

It's pretty low on parts, (threaded rod, O-rings, PVC)and you shouldn't need many tools to build. Whether it would actually work is another question entirely.

#143632 Arr!

Posted by Gyrvalcon on 03 March 2008 - 02:18 PM in Homemades

Also, the new design doesn't look like it will have a place to put the other hand like every bullpup assault rifle that ever existed.

You put your other hand on another ARR.

Dur.