Hipponater's Content

There have been 211 items by Hipponater (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#332063 Cataclysm 4 - Chicagoland War

Posted by Hipponater on 17 July 2013 - 10:29 PM in Nerf Wars

Bah, I don't want to be the third "can't make it" in a row, but I won't be able to make it

#331427 Starting My Research Here

Posted by Hipponater on 29 June 2013 - 09:30 PM in Homemades

The advantage of the bladder tank is that the final couple of shots still get close to the same range as the first. This is not the case with regular hard tanks.

Draconis: The regulator should prevent the inconsistency, more or less, I thought?

The regulator will only make the first few shots consistent. As soon as your tank pressure drops below the regulated pressure, you're going to have weak shots. The advantage of having a bladder is that you have variable volume but more consistent pressure. Rigid tanks are the opposite, rigid volume but variable pressure. Our blasters are pressure driven, so a bladder would be better in my opinion.

With a rigid tank, you're going to need to pressurize it much higher than you would with a bladder, in order to get the same number of shots. This high over pressure is going to require a regulator to make the first few shots consistent. With a bladder, you can adjust pressure somewhat by banding it, but you don't need a regulator because the pressure will be much lower.

I have a magstrike bladder hooked up to an AT2K tank through the magstrike valve (not totally sure what it's called). I can pressurize the bladder, then press the magstrike valve which fills the tank. Then fire, and press the magstrike valve again which refills it. Fairly basic, but I'm sure you can rig something up with a back pressure tank or other pieces so you're not pressing a button after firin

#330988 SPANO 2013

Posted by Hipponater on 17 June 2013 - 10:54 PM in Nerf Wars

-Aubry with the LASER aimed at my FACE! You single handedly stopped like a million DTC points.

She felt really bad for the face shots, she definitely wasn't trying to do that. Sorry.

-stock blasters and close quarters is almost TOO fun

Yeah, both Aubrey and I enjoyed this a lot. It was a blast and a good way to wrap up even with the rain.

+was fun, had a blast, and the rain held off for most of it. Also an excellent turnout
-took a shot to the face that broke skin
-mosquitoes, holy crap the mosquitoes

#330857 SPANO 2013

Posted by Hipponater on 14 June 2013 - 02:08 AM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there +1. Looks like the chance of rain has mostly subsided, high of around 80. Should be a nice change of pace from the winter.

#330008 Cataclysm 4 - Chicagoland War

Posted by Hipponater on 19 May 2013 - 09:33 PM in Nerf Wars

Maybe +1, would like to make it to this

#328781 SPANO 2013

Posted by Hipponater on 15 April 2013 - 11:57 PM in Nerf Wars

Count Aubrey and I in

#327918 Multiple Orgasm - A Guide

Posted by Hipponater on 12 March 2013 - 12:50 AM in Homemades

Wow, this is really cool. I'm a little worried about the weight, would you mind weighing it when you get a chance?
I'm definitely interested in making one with smaller tubes (thanks for addressing which ones would work, Zorn) for reduced weight but still keeping around the same ranges, since it still has standard amounts of draw. The moving catch is pretty nifty and I like the smaller form. Awesome

#327412 M.A.N.O. 10

Posted by Hipponater on 27 February 2013 - 08:02 PM in Nerf Wars

That's the same weekend as Marchtacular 2 over in Minn. http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=23692 So a different date might be better, just a heads up.

Also, why no homemades at all?

edit:
thanks for the date change, but I can't do no homemades.

#327176 Marchtacular 2!

Posted by Hipponater on 22 February 2013 - 02:01 AM in Nerf Wars

Maybe, +1 if I go. Would like to make it up there again

#322696 HellaWeen

Posted by Hipponater on 17 October 2012 - 02:38 AM in Nerf Wars

Cool, thanks. I've been out of the scene for a while and haven't nerfed up here before, but it sounds like it will be a blast. My friend and I will need to borrow blasters + darts for anything that's not primaries/slugs, if that's alright with you guys. It's looking like we're very likely to be there.

Put me as a maybe, never sure what college will bring you each weekend.

You better show up.

#322653 HellaWeen

Posted by Hipponater on 16 October 2012 - 02:20 AM in Nerf Wars

I might be there with a friend.
Can we get an attendance list going? It would be a 4 hour drive, so I want to see if it's going to be a good first nerf war for a friend.
Also, since I've moved, I only have 3 blasters (PAS, pumpbow, hand cannon) and 1/2" slug darts, is this ok, or is this more of a melee/pistol/whatnot kinda thing? Just want to know in advance what to expect.
Thanks

#316738 Columbus War 4.3

Posted by Hipponater on 08 June 2012 - 11:44 PM in Nerf Wars

Are Brian and Hippo able to make this one, Coop?

Put us both as maybes

#313857 Columbus War 4.1

Posted by Hipponater on 01 April 2012 - 07:51 PM in Nerf Wars

An excellent war, was a lot of fun. We should do another one sometime fairly soon (in April or early May?).
Nice to see some new people and get 10-12 for a war. Hopefully we can get even more people next time.

#313622 Columbus War 4.1

Posted by Hipponater on 27 March 2012 - 06:57 PM in Nerf Wars

I don't mind allowing slingshot weights with a felt pad. As long as it has that pad, it's fine, but if we find that they're just too painful, the group may need to ask someone to stop and switch. The change is fine with me, it doesn't prohibit any darts so it shouldn't be much a problem for the last minute. No one will need to remake darts because of it.

I would prefer no glue domes, but I don't mind some lighter weight ones (single BB). Perhaps we can figure this out for a future war, we can keep this one at felt pads only.

edit: I may bring some blasters for sale/trade as well, and I'll probably have some loaners if people want to switch it up and try my stuff. I'd appreciate it if we could keep the trading confined to before/after the war and during lunch so we can get maximum play time.

#312488 Columbus War 4.1

Posted by Hipponater on 05 March 2012 - 05:02 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there

#298865 How to make an octoshot turret.

Posted by Hipponater on 28 May 2011 - 02:41 PM in Modifications

Pretty cool SlightlySane, nicely done. I like the use of the bolt. How was your priming bar before the trouble? When my brother did it, he had to make one entirely out of aluminum (and some JB weld) because he was tired of the old one breaking. My brother also added a bolt to hold the blaster together toward the front, that may help your priming bar issue.

My brother and I looked at Alextwin007's pictures for the inspiration to do it, however we couldn't get much information from him. My brother built his and used it in a couple wars in summer 2010. It's been holding strong since, especially with the aluminum plunger rod.

Regarding the cost of the firefly piece, you may be able to get one from another nerfer who used the turret off the firefly but kept the rotation piece.

Cool stuff, glad to see a write up for the firefly rotation mech method, and I didn't need to make one!

#298101 Illinois Foam Fest Six

Posted by Hipponater on 14 May 2011 - 11:43 PM in Nerf Wars

I might be there. I'll know closer to the date.

#297517 Columbus War 3.1

Posted by Hipponater on 24 April 2011 - 09:43 PM in Nerf Wars

Ok, an update on my numbers. My brother and I, +5 more. Yup. We're going to have some new guys, so let's make this a good showing and have fun so they'll want to return! Invite your friends, let's make this awesome.

Is someone able to bring a core and buckets/balls? I can bring my core, though it's crappy.

I'll bring a few things for trade, but I would like to keep time between rounds fairly short, I would really like to leave a good impression of fun to help the new guys want to return.

#297347 Columbus War 3.1

Posted by Hipponater on 20 April 2011 - 10:37 AM in Nerf Wars

My brother and I are making darts and preparing blasters. We'll both be there, +2 more sure, with a potential for a couple more.

We'll have a few new guys with us, so let's make this a big turn out so they'll want to come back

#297202 Columbus War 3.1

Posted by Hipponater on 16 April 2011 - 11:16 AM in Nerf Wars

I'll probably be there, my brother too. If we go, some of his suitemates may come as well. I'll talk to him about it and see who is interested.

#295955 Pvat V2.0

Posted by Hipponater on 13 March 2011 - 04:07 PM in Homemades

You shouldn't even keep the name. This is superior in every single way to the original.

Exactly this.

I'm very interested to see where this goes, good stuff!

What's the estimated cost of one of these, if you don't mind?

#295954 Japanese Earthquake/tsunami

Posted by Hipponater on 13 March 2011 - 03:58 PM in Off Topic

Here is the deal with the nuclear plant:

Basically, the lack of backup electricity from outside the plant shut down the pumping system.
This means that they couldn't pump water through the reactor to cool it.
What they've now done is allowed sea water to flood into it in a last ditch effort to cool the reactor.
If the reactor melts down, it will melt through its concrete containment and through the earth down to the water table.
When it hits the water table, that water instantly turns into steam, and will cause a massive explosion, throwing fallout everywhere.

Even if the sea water does work, it will corrode the pipes. This means they'll have to build a containment dome ala Chernobyl at the very least.

This is entirely wrong, aside from the fact that sea water was used after previous pumping systems failed. Please don't spread fear about nuclear reactors, there is no major risk involved here. The reactor is already cooled and the pressure is vented. Chernobyl won't happen, and there won't be an explosion.

Here's a source.

Best of luck to the people in Japan

#294800 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Hipponater on 20 February 2011 - 11:11 PM in Modifications

Another one of these things. It was reasonably tricky to get it firing perfectly without jamming

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#294799 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Hipponater on 20 February 2011 - 11:04 PM in Homemades

Nice stuff, Beaver. Glad to see your move isn't affecting your nerf.

Also using a ring catch:
Posted Image
I'd call it a "Ring Catch Pump", Similar to the RBPs and a pvc version on other nerf sites. Looks kinda plain from the outside, sorry for the lack of internal pictures. It's a pain to put together and take apart because I lost my 3/32" allen wrench and the metric one I'm using has trouble gripping the set screws, so no internal pictures for now.

The ring catch is 3/4" PVC T with 3/4" CPVC making the actual catch and guides. The plunger rod is 1/2" CPVC with a snap style plunger head (one of Rork's with 2 washers, can't think of the name). Plunger tube and plunger rod guide (hidden in this picture) are from 1.25" PVC. Priming grip is thinwall 1.5". The back cover is 2" PVC. The T is 1.25" and slips over the priming guide, the 2" fits around the outside nicely. All very similar to a rainbow pump.

All of the parts come from the hardware store except the springs (catch spring and main spring) and set screws; alternatives could certainly be purchased at your local store.

Ring Catches are fantastic things for PVC homemades. I've never messed with a clothespin trigger, but this was pretty easy. It does require a ruinously strong catch spring, though.

#294035 The Ohio Revolution

Posted by Hipponater on 06 February 2011 - 10:21 PM in Nerf Wars

Can't make it, my brother and I leave for vacation that Saturday. Super Bummer

#293911 Rpmbnb! Updated With More Goodies!

Posted by Hipponater on 05 February 2011 - 12:46 PM in Homemades

This is awesome, thanks for providing the files you used. Though I must question your acid bath consisting of Sodium Hydroxide...

If you don't mind, how much did it cost to print?

I'll definitely be looking to make one of this, my friend has access to a 'Stratasys Rapid Prototyper', hopefully we can churn out one of these awesome blasters.

#293131 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Hipponater on 19 January 2011 - 08:16 PM in Homemades

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Laser cut delrin rainbow catches. Available soon.

#291871 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Hipponater on 30 December 2010 - 09:32 PM in Homemades

Finished pumpbows
Posted Image

Finished 2-11s
Posted Image

#291146 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Hipponater on 18 December 2010 - 11:28 PM in Homemades

Posted Image
Two 2-11s, two more in the works. They're pretty fun blasters. Everyone at the last Columbus war seemed to love 'em.

Posted Image
Three pumpbows in progress, they'll be fully assembled in the next day or two.

Posted Image
Pumpbow and 2-11 wooden handles and shoulder stocks! Very comfortable and awesome, if I do say so myself

#290437 Columbus War 2.2

Posted by Hipponater on 08 December 2010 - 12:16 AM in Nerf Wars

Is anyone bringing a core? I thought that was pretty fun the few times I've played it.

I'll try to remember all the pieces to mine. It's not fantastic, but it works. If anyone happens to have a better one, still bring it along.

Does anyone have any buckets/balls? Valor, will you have yours? I enjoyed 'Carpe Testiculum' when we played it in Indiana

I hope you guys can make it, Broken and Kid Flash.

The weather is looking pretty good on Saturday. High of 41 and low of 31, we should be dodging the 20s, unlike this week. Cloudy, but we'll see how things continue to change as we get closer to Saturday

#290195 Columbus War 2.2

Posted by Hipponater on 05 December 2010 - 09:24 PM in Nerf Wars

My brother and I will be there for sure. I'll also be bringing some blasters for sale/trade

Secondly, does anyone have access to 'low torque' ball valves? I may be looking for a couple at the war.

What do you mean by "low Torque" azin ball valves? if i go and have what your looking for, ill bring a few whith me

They're easier to turn than normal ball valves, they're advertised as 'low torque'. I'll def. check them out if you come (which you should!)

#289759 Padding For Plunger Head

Posted by Hipponater on 02 December 2010 - 04:27 PM in Modifications

Felt would have worked well. Also, the discs from old foam disc shooters work well, as do sections of arrows from BBBs. Or you can buy a 'toilet gasket' from the hardware store and cut off pieces of that. If you're desperate, FBR can work for a short while.

#289755 The Mirage-ss, Simple And Effective Semi Automatic Design

Posted by Hipponater on 02 December 2010 - 03:55 PM in Modifications

Also, NerfGeek, if your blast buttons stop releasing air when they are all the way depressed, then there is something wrong with them. They should just open and stay open.

If you aren't putting anything on the button (tack, spacer), when you push it directly with your thumb, you can block the air by pushing it all the way down. It's open, but the air can't be released because your thumb creates a seal.

Interesting work, I like how the air pressure pushes the rod back into place

#289030 Battlem.a.x. Sceptor V1.0

Posted by Hipponater on 26 November 2010 - 11:40 PM in Modifications

Interesting. How many pumps does it take, and how many shots can you get off with, and with what ranges?

Cool blaster, I might have to look into one, even though I hate to pump.

#289029 Columbus War 2.2

Posted by Hipponater on 26 November 2010 - 11:37 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm probably in. +1-3

The nearest buffet restraunts (that have 'buffet' in their name at least) are either Chinese of sort or Hometown Buffet. Any preferences for a post war feast?

Also, a couple of side notes:

First, can anyone recommend a good pair of gloves? I'm looking for something warm, but allowing for easy working of blasters/darts.

Secondly, does anyone have access to 'low torque' ball valves? I may be looking for a couple at the war.

#289016 Ohio Winter Break War

Posted by Hipponater on 26 November 2010 - 10:53 PM in Nerf Wars

The 11th is best for me.

Am I the only one who doesn't like this park though? It would be sweet if we were all the size Lynx and used stock guns or darts, but I find it too tight to navigate easily, and too small for primaries. The fort aspect just encourages headshots, too.

#288521 It's A War 3

Posted by Hipponater on 17 November 2010 - 04:13 PM in Nerf Wars

I can't make it, I'm busy til Dec 11th at the earliest

#288507 2-11

Posted by Hipponater on 16 November 2010 - 10:59 PM in Homemades

3. If I may ask, where does the name 2-11 come from?

3. Because this design goes to 11

I'll finally be putting two together in the next couple weeks. Just a heads up for people buying the parts, my hardware store doesn't have either of the PVC pieces needed (the reducer bushing and the coupler), so my attempt to just buy them at a local store rather than McMaster was thwarted. Check this out before you buy, or just play it safe and buy them off McMaster regardless.

Thanks for the design, Capt. Slug

#288040 "it's A War" 2

Posted by Hipponater on 06 November 2010 - 07:16 PM in Nerf Wars

Sorry for the quick get-away, my girlfriend was getting tired and I said we would leave by 4:00pm.

That was a fun war. Not as time efficient as most Nerf wars I've attended, but I got in some nice trades and some enjoyable rounds. By the way, that park is full of win.

Also, WTF Cinci...
Posted Image

Hahaha, that road sign was ridic. There were all sorts of crazy turns and weird intersections, I drove down some shady streets trying to get home while the GPS was busy "Acquiring Satellites".

It was fun, though. The park was great, we got some good rounds in, though there was some downtime in between.

#287914 "it's A War" 2

Posted by Hipponater on 04 November 2010 - 01:31 PM in Nerf Wars

I know of one that should be kind of on the way from columbus... It's in the eastgate area.

http://maps.google.c...ved=0CCIQnwIwAw

Address:
4394 Glen Este-Withamsville Road
Cincinnati, OH 45245-1524

Not exactly on the way back to Columbus (I would take 71), and now that we know where the war is, it's a little far from there. Thanks though!

Anyone in the Cinci area know of a near by Golden Corral...?

GUMMY BEARS!!!!111!!!!one111!!!11
If that's an open invite, I'd like to join you (assuming my guest can tolerate the stomach ache after, hehe)

Of course it is. Bring some pepto, GC is an experience everyone needs. I don't know much about Cincinnati and the shady areas there, but I was thinking about the GC here, 12090 MASON-MONTGOMERY RD. CINCINNATI, OH 45249. It's off 71, which makes it reasonably easy to get to. The other ones are deeper into Cinci, away from most of the highways. Here is the GC locator, let me know what you (or anyone else) think. Anyone else is welcome to join us. If you can stomach it...

Dunham, and Mt. Echo are afew blocks apart, so they are basically the same distance either way. I believe we had decided officially that we were going with Mt. Echo. Here is the park on google maps. The enterance 's address is 381 Elbron Avenue, Expect to see signs hanging showing where to go within the park, since there are quite afew people who have never nerfed at this location.

http://maps.google.c...1,0.013711&z=16

And on the food thing, several of us were planning to go to Penn Station after, so you guys are welcome to come to Penn Station with us.

Excellent, thanks for the address. I'll be there +1 for sure, hopefully one or two more. Not sure on the Penn Station, though. Golden Corral is our post-war buffet of choice