Shadow 92's Content

There have been 189 items by Shadow 92 (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#181389 Nerf Gun Designer

Posted by Shadow 92 on 03 October 2008 - 11:26 PM in Homemades

I think he's suggesting that he can make designs of ideas that other people have so they can build it (correct me if I'm wrong.)

#176729 Homemade Pump

Posted by Shadow 92 on 11 September 2008 - 08:19 PM in Homemades

EDIT: @shadow: ubuntu FTW!

HELL YEAH!

#176476 Homemade Pump

Posted by Shadow 92 on 10 September 2008 - 07:29 PM in Homemades

This is VERY basic, at best. To be useful, it would need to include a check valve at minimum. Also, I don't see the point of building a pump for a nerf gun out of 1/2" PVC; the best way to add volume is to increase the diameter of the air column being utilized. 1/2" is a pathetically small pump if you want to fill a good-sized air tank without breaking your arm. ~Rork

Actually, a small diameter pump would be great for a compact, higher pressure tank.

Hey Blasphemy have you ever used a dual action pump for a homemade before? I've always wondered how comfortable it felt.

PS: First post using Ubuntu! w00t

#169591 Theory/idea Forum

Posted by Shadow 92 on 15 August 2008 - 10:55 PM in Site Feedback

So let's recap:

1. You want us to completely loosen our policy banning idea only threads.
2. CS, who no one will question his level of expertise, reiterates the reasoning behind team NH's decision.
3. I decide to throw you a bone and open the possibility to a reasonable exception.
4. You keep fighting.

This site is run the way the founders want it to be run. It's really that simple. We don't overturn policy outright unless they tell us otherwise. If you want to solely kick ideas around, find someplace else to do it. If you have come up with something, or want to talk about the improvement of past creations that's fine. Bottom line is this: build something* before it gets posted here.

* NH does reserve the right to take action on your account if our team of experts thinks unsafe designs are being made. These designs could either result in damage to you, someone else, or major property damage.

I see. I'll accept the decision and I appreciate your input. Thank you for clarifying a subject that's been bugging me for a while.

If I may ask though, what exactly was the exception? I'm afraid I haven't noticed where you mention the exception.

Thanks to everyone for helping me understand this a little bit better.

#169589 Design For Comments/critique

Posted by Shadow 92 on 15 August 2008 - 10:46 PM in Homemades

Here's a quick design I came up with. It's made mostly of PVC and hardware that you can get from Lowes or Home Depot. The trigger is a simple delay trigger, where when you pull it, it dumps the air tank to the right and if you pull it more, it dumps the air tank to left. The picture should explain most of the stuff.

Posted Image

#169565 Theory/idea Forum

Posted by Shadow 92 on 15 August 2008 - 09:45 PM in Site Feedback

1.People that actually build stuff typically do not need or want to use the designs of other people.
2. Nobody is going to invest the time or money to attempt to duplicate a design that hasn't been built by anyone to confirm that it's even feasible or functional as a blaster.

3. You're unfortunately assuming that posts alone count as contribution. That's just not the case in this community, where emphasis is on promoting Nerf War attendance. And increasing the innovation of the blasters we use to keep said wars interesting.

4. Designs do not equal innovation. Working prototypes do.

1. People that actually build stuff actually do use other people's ideas. Just look at how guns are based off of the blow forward bolt on Spudfiles.

2. That's the whole point of peer review. Using others to check for design flaws to increase the chances of creating working model.

3. Contributing designs and spreading ideas is alot better than keeping an amazing iidea inside your head.

4. The Manhattan Project wasn't made by a single person who had a great idea and put it together. It was the result of the collaboration of hundreds of people working together to create a solid, functioning design. Of course prototypes needed to be developed before the final version was created. I'm not saying that a design alone will lead to a revolution in Nerfing. But what I am saying is that better products often result from better ideas?

saving space

I totally agree that at some point, the designs have to be made to be fully tested. But having the ability to have others check your design before you waste time building something that obviously won't work is an invaluable resource. For example, I designed a spring less, semi auto bolt and valve. I posted it on Spudfiles and was nicely informed that the front of the bolt had to have more surface area in order to work. Simple facts like that allowed me to fix my design before building it, saving me the money that it would have cost to build another design and the time it would have taken me to fix a problem that I would have otherwise not have known how to solve.

In addition, it's sometimes just not feasible to build multiple models when they're epensive to build or consume a lot of time. Having a peer reviewed design eliminates most of the work required to create a working product. I'm not saying that having it peer reviewed will automaticaly gurantee success, but it sure will help a lot.

#169553 Theory/idea Forum

Posted by Shadow 92 on 15 August 2008 - 09:21 PM in Site Feedback

So far theory/design/concept threads almost never result in a blaster actually being finished. Therefore I would not want to promote the existence of such threads.

* There are only a couple of known designs right now and most of them are either expensive to build or require uncommon tools

Supports the above statement. There are too few people actually willing to see their original design completed and are also willing to provide detail instructions that others can follow to make their own.
Having a theory/design/concept specific board would not improve this situation.

Thanks for the feedback.

While I do acknowledge the fact that most people (including myself), don't follow through with their plans, I do believe that having a design board will allow people who actually build stuff to choose from a greater variety of designs.

To counter your statement concerning tools, designs that require minimal fabrication can simply be produced. What I enjoy most about Spudfiles, is seeing a design that is capable of many things, yet operates on a simple design or is made of basic parts. Making designs like that available further increases the number of people that can produce a product, and therefore contribute more.

I think it also goes along with something Pineapple said awhile back concerning how concept threads will no longer be tolerated. So a theory/idea/concept forum would most likely not be tolerated either, so I highly doubt it will ever happen.

Here is the link to what PInapple said. Just because it is from last year does not mean it is no longer in effect.

It's Clean-Up Time!!!

I personally believe that if you have an idea, try it yourself or wait for someone to do it first. That is how modding began. Someone had an idea, tried it out, and the rest is history.

I've read that message, but I have to disagree. From what I gather, Pinapple's basic reasoning was to encourage contributions. But as you can see, more contribtuions can be made if a theory board was created.

My philosphy on modding is to simply improve on what already exists. Allowing people to post their designs gives people a chance to improve on a design. Even if that person can't actually build it, the idea is expressed and other people can.

#169546 Theory/idea Forum

Posted by Shadow 92 on 15 August 2008 - 08:47 PM in Site Feedback

If was wondering, why don't we have a thoery forum? I think it would be extremely benificial to have one, for a variety of reasons. Mainly, the increase in contributions and a growth in the level of modifications. ( I don't really feel like writing a long winded essay because I had to write a couple DBQs in APUSH and analyze some poetry in AP English, so I'll just list the pros of the idea. As the topic grows, I'll update it the possible cons.)

Pros:
  • It will increase the quality of homemades and modifications
    • Allows people to improve and expand upon other designs
    • Those better designs will rersult in better products
  • People always complain about others not contributing, this gives people the chance to contribute
  • Will allow for the peer review of designs
    • Brings the designer to attention crucial design flaws that would have required more work to fix later on
  • Attract people to the forum intrested in designing (it's the reason why I'm a member at Spudfiles)
  • Increase the number of known desings
    • Gives people a wider selection of designs to choose from when building a homemade or modding a gun
    • There are only a couple of known designs right now and most of them are either expensive to build or require uncommon tools
  • Other sites have had great success with a theory board
Cons:
  • Designs will remain designs and not be followed through
  • Goes against rules made by moderaters
  • Faster results are accomplishes by building models
What do you think?

#169533 Firefox551

Posted by Shadow 92 on 15 August 2008 - 07:56 PM in General Nerf

Here's an old sticky about posting images.

#165733 Directional Control Valve Actuated Qev

Posted by Shadow 92 on 31 July 2008 - 07:46 PM in Homemades

Nice, I love semi-auto designs. I only wish I could get off my fat (120 lb) ass and make my own. :D

#165438 Titan Mod Idea

Posted by Shadow 92 on 30 July 2008 - 03:04 PM in Modifications

I think the Titan's check valve is at the back of the pump, so it should work.

#165437 Padded Stephans?

Posted by Shadow 92 on 30 July 2008 - 03:01 PM in Modifications

I make my darts with about 1/4" padded tip. They work fine.

#163971 Magazine Issue

Posted by Shadow 92 on 23 July 2008 - 07:35 PM in Homemades

If you've seen the blow forward bolt, why don't you just build a Vortex? Sure it's not as accurate, but since the bbs are stored inside, you have more room to make asthetic changes.

Or you could put the real mag at the bottom. Like this:

Posted Image

#163460 Message To The General Public - Regarding Spud Guns.

Posted by Shadow 92 on 20 July 2008 - 06:24 PM in Homemades

Umm, I'm part of both Spudfiles and Nerfhaven. While you did make valid points (some I agree with), this isn't really the place to do so.

#163139 Paintball Tanks With Nerf

Posted by Shadow 92 on 17 July 2008 - 07:51 PM in Homemades

Thanks for the update. I'll eventually need to build an HPA tank if I ever get around to actually building one of my semi/ full auto designs.

#163023 Pvc Probs

Posted by Shadow 92 on 16 July 2008 - 07:37 PM in Modifications

If .5" schedule 40 PVC is too small for your darts, stretch your foam. Its on the first page of the dart making thread.

#162933 Ls Bolt Rechambering

Posted by Shadow 92 on 15 July 2008 - 08:45 PM in Modifications

Oh I see. I used a regular drill bit and didn't have any problems. But I'm glad your mod turned out fine.

#162931 Airtech 3000 Single Cpvc Barrel?

Posted by Shadow 92 on 15 July 2008 - 08:41 PM in Modifications

How do you know that the 3K has a slower air release than the 2K? The valve opens only as fast as you can pull the trigger and the firing pins have equal pull lengths. There isn't any dead space in either the 2k or 3k airtank so they should have equal air releases.

A bic pen mod is just replacing the spring on the firing pin with a generic pen cap/ body. All it really does is allow you to pull the pin back as soon as you pull the trigger instead of having to wait for the spring to fully compress. If you wanted to, you could cover the space with hot glue.

#162929 Ls Bolt Rechambering

Posted by Shadow 92 on 15 July 2008 - 08:27 PM in Modifications

Nice write up, but you never explained why it had to be a Forstner drill bit.

#162928 Did Youtube Stop Working?!?

Posted by Shadow 92 on 15 July 2008 - 08:23 PM in Off Topic

What was wrong?

#162811 Weighting Stefans With Pennies

Posted by Shadow 92 on 14 July 2008 - 08:40 PM in Modifications

He removed the video. :D

#162807 Foam Recommendations

Posted by Shadow 92 on 14 July 2008 - 08:35 PM in General Nerf

In my experience, both stock micros and my stefans have a diameter closer to .51" rather than .5" and .56".

#162804 Airtech 3000 Single Cpvc Barrel?

Posted by Shadow 92 on 14 July 2008 - 08:29 PM in Modifications

They have similar tank sizes, so yes. Add a coupler if you want to be able to load faster.

#162375 +bow: Diy Thread

Posted by Shadow 92 on 11 July 2008 - 12:20 PM in Homemades

I've used both 1/16" polycarbonate and PETG sheets (albiet, to a limited extent) and they're comparable materials. PETG is slightly cheaper from Mcmaster and you can probably get away with using it for a +bow.

#162032 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Shadow 92 on 08 July 2008 - 11:16 PM in Modifications

Semi-auto Magstrike. In theory, it should have all of the accuracy and distance of a Longshot with the ROF of a Magstrike. In reality, I overestimated the size of the bladder and desgined a bolt that requires more air and pressure than the bladder provides. I'm also trying to fix a couple leaks.

EDIT: The Magstrike isn't fully fuctional right now. I just put there to show where it would be once I get the bolt to start working. Later on I think I'll cut off the lip and slide it in from a hole in the right side of the MS. The bolt should also be a lot shorter, just long enough to reach the front of the clip.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also still in works. I'm almost finished. I just have to make enough room for the trigger and smooth out the rotation system, and attach the pump.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#162029 Foam Recommendations

Posted by Shadow 92 on 08 July 2008 - 11:06 PM in General Nerf

I have had 3 bags of Frost King foam and each bag blows. I couldn't get the foam to shrink in the dryer. So far my favorite type of FBR is Lowes brand ( I think its Lowes home brand, but I can't be sure ). It comes in a purple and clear bag.

Heating causes foam to expand. Stretch your foam if you want it to shrink.

#161950 Foam Recommendations

Posted by Shadow 92 on 08 July 2008 - 01:33 PM in General Nerf

I use Frost King and my darts are just fine. To keep them at a consistent diameter, I stretch/ blow dry them to fit my barrels.

#161949 Rotating Valve

Posted by Shadow 92 on 08 July 2008 - 01:26 PM in Homemades

I'm working on a rotating valve/ bolt. It's a little different than yours, but you might want to take a look.
Spinning Bolt

#161947 A New, Easy, Valve

Posted by Shadow 92 on 08 July 2008 - 01:18 PM in Homemades

The flow rate seems low and it looks like it wastes some space. It can be scaled up to nerf proporions, but it wouldn't be the most efficeint design. Great find though!

#161776 Double Longshot Carbine

Posted by Shadow 92 on 06 July 2008 - 10:32 PM in Modifications

Do it only if its for fun and not for actually playing.

#160115 Eye Protection

Posted by Shadow 92 on 23 June 2008 - 01:56 PM in Nerf Wars

I use eyelids.

Don't. Trust me, pick up a pair of eye protection. Risking losing your vision is not worth saving a couple bucks.

Seriously, I use a pair of sunglasses. It doesn't really matter though because lately I've been playing with low level guns and special darts.

#160056 New Style Plunger

Posted by Shadow 92 on 22 June 2008 - 11:29 PM in Homemades

Have you ever considered connecting the charging rod to a bolt?

Posted Image

#160054 Eye Protection

Posted by Shadow 92 on 22 June 2008 - 10:59 PM in Nerf Wars

I use eyelids.

#159841 The Snap-1 Mk2

Posted by Shadow 92 on 20 June 2008 - 01:48 PM in Homemades

The bottom part of the tee is supposed to be longer. I accidentally sketched it that way because the other gun that I'm designing uses a cut down tee.

I don't think that the gun would rotate as much as you say it would in real life. Flexor tendons in the wrist should be able to overcome most of that force.

#159772 The Snap-1 Mk2

Posted by Shadow 92 on 19 June 2008 - 07:10 PM in Homemades

Still need a way to make easier handles...eh, that's another day.

Have you ever considered a tee and a 45 degree elbow?
Posted Image

#157439 Universal Range Testing

Posted by Shadow 92 on 29 May 2008 - 10:14 PM in General Nerf

I may not be practical for most people, but someone posted a write up on how to use some freeware and a set of mics to measure velocity. I've always liked seeing power in terms of FPS because it eliminates any angling.

#154607 Spinning Bolt

Posted by Shadow 92 on 04 May 2008 - 03:17 PM in Homemades

I'm trying to build a paintball/ nerf gun that uses an electric motor to spin a bolt and close a breach. I planned out most of the stuff I need, I just need help with the motor.

I was browsing Radio Shack and I saw, this motor, and I was wondering if it would provide enough torque to spin a 1.75" long PETG bolt. I also need to figure out a way to make the bolt spin to the sealed position every time I pull the trigger. Finally, is there a way to control how fast the bolt spins and how long it stays in the sealed position?

Click on the picture for the original Spudfiles topic and more information.
Posted Image

#153564 200+ Feet? How?

Posted by Shadow 92 on 27 April 2008 - 09:24 PM in Modifications

As for the original topic, you can always try integrating the Titan pump and tank into a Dart Tag gun. It's not quite semi-auto but it'll give you a long range gun, with a decent rate of fire. Just know that you'll have to cut off a lot of the space near DTG's turret to make room for the air tank (I know, I tried). But after that all you have to do is connect the trigger and the pump.

#151218 Semi Auto Prototype

Posted by Shadow 92 on 14 April 2008 - 10:32 PM in Homemades

I'm dropping this project for another more compact design, but I'd still like to see the desisgn. Can you post it?

#148920 Possible New Sticky

Posted by Shadow 92 on 02 April 2008 - 07:43 PM in Site Feedback

After unsuccessfully attempting to integrate a titan into a DTG, I realized that it would have really helped if there were a list of mods that didn't work. This way, people don't make the same mistakes. The sticky could have the original intent of the mod and a description of why it didn't work. People can make suggestions on how to fix the problem or offer an alternative solution to reaching the desired goal. A consistently active member can update the list every time someone posts a failed modification.

It could look something like this:

Airtech 2000
  • Using the transparent tube in the back as an airtank
    Why it failed
  • The tube leaked air
Suggestions
  • Replace transparent tubing with an airtank made of PVC
If you can think of a better format, reply.