VelveetaAvenger's Content

There have been 551 items by VelveetaAvenger (Search limited from 07-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#348481 MN Late Summer War

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 21 August 2015 - 07:46 PM in Nerf Wars

Unfortunately I'm out, already traded to get tomorrow off. I have to get me one of those jobs that doesn't require weekends!

#347157 SPANO 2015

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 12 June 2015 - 07:47 AM in Nerf Wars

I took the day off! Now I just gotta fix some of my shit so that it actually works. Any thoughts on a mod party during the week leading up to it? I'm usually pretty free Wednesday afternoons.

Beaver, have you nerfed at Highland since we switched which part of the park we use? The past few have been in that area between the parking lot and the street, it's actually a pretty good space for a large war like SPANO.

#346270 MN Spring Training 2015

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 18 April 2015 - 09:47 AM in Nerf Wars

Unfortunately I'm out for a bachelor party the 23rd. My warrior spirit will be attending even though my body will be trapped underneath a bunch of strippers!

#340978 Nerf Team Mpls, Mn

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 04 August 2014 - 03:14 PM in Nerf Wars

We usually do some small team games at the St. Paul nerf wars. You're probably not going to find many people looking to play with classes and stuff here, but you guys should definitely check out the next big war. I don't think anything is planned at the moment, but there's usually something around Halloween.

#339724 SPANO 2014 (Minnesota)

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 23 June 2014 - 09:22 AM in Nerf Wars

Had fun and got sunburned. Can't ask for more then that!

#339649 SPANO 2014 (Minnesota)

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 18 June 2014 - 10:19 PM in Nerf Wars

Just to double check, are we still shooting for 9am?

#338447 SPANO 2014 (Minnesota)

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 23 April 2014 - 04:54 PM in Nerf Wars

La-da-da-da-dahh, it's the motherfuckin' S-P-A-N-O!

As long as we figure it out a couple weeks in advance either day works for me. Gotta get time off work!

#334171 M.A.W. - Minnesota AFoN War

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 20 September 2013 - 03:45 PM in Nerf Wars

Sadly I can't make it out this weekend. Stock blasters are a lot of fun though, so hopefully I'll be able to make it to a future one!

#333049 Augsational: All DTC War!

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 14 August 2013 - 07:32 PM in Nerf Wars

Posted Image

First MN fail-war in a couple years, glad I wore a fitting shirt!

#332931 SledgeFire A/R Removal

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 12 August 2013 - 05:19 PM in Modifications

Sounds pretty strange, are you using stock darts or slugs? It's possible that without the pegs the darts are deforming a bit and not fully engaging the A/R's. One thing I've noticed about both these new blasters is that the barrel only has a springer fit for a 1/4" or 1/2" at the very bottom, so my other guess is that without the pegs the darts don't grip well enough for pressure to build up.

I'd try slugs first, or maybe just rebarrel the shells.

#332896 Hammershot AR Removal and Internals Tour

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 11 August 2013 - 06:55 PM in Modifications

@Velveeta: I don't have a specter, but I'd be willing to get out the calipers and measure the cylinder for you if you like.

Nah, don't worry about it. I was thinking they might be easier to rebarrel, but since they have different advancing teeth it's probably more trouble then it's worth.

#332884 Hammershot AR Removal and Internals Tour

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 11 August 2013 - 03:11 PM in Modifications

Ranges did not really seem improve that much by removing the AR in this blaster.

I noticed this too, my theory is that the plunger tube is so short it can push all the air out before the A/R closes.

You don't happen to have a Specter do you? I was wondering if the turrets are the same dimensions.

#332848 Augsational: All DTC War!

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 10 August 2013 - 12:15 AM in Nerf Wars

I have come here to chew bubblegum and defend cores... and I'm all out of bubblegum!

#332829 SledgeFire A/R Removal

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 09 August 2013 - 05:42 PM in Modifications

Some HammerShot info added to the OP.

Well, in a way the Triad and the SledgeFire do have similar AR tech. For the SledgeFire (stock), you are able to fire 1 dart from the shell if only 1 dart is loaded. Same with 2. The ARs allow air to go through the "barrel" only when foam is present.

So the question still stands, can you do this after the mod or does taking out the ARs remove this feature?

No. I double checked to be sure, but the air just goes out the open barrels.

#332811 SledgeFire A/R Removal

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 09 August 2013 - 09:59 AM in Modifications

Oh, my mistake. Would you recommend removing the shell ejection system and just glue the shell permenantly into the blaster to remove the necessity of the shell?
Or better yet create a brass "shell" barrel for a tighter fit?

You can never go wrong with barrel replacements, but I don't think it's necessary to glue it down. The ejection system only pops up like half an inch, so it doesn't add any time to push it back down if you're rearloading. The way it's set up stock the shell sticks out a tiny bit and is held against the plunger with the ejection spring, so it should be getting a really nice seal already.

Another trick I discovered this morning is you can hold the trigger down while you open it up. This lets you remove the last shell without having to dry-fire it.

#332802 SledgeFire A/R Removal

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 08 August 2013 - 09:26 PM in Modifications

Nice! I practically did the same stuff, but for the PH, you should fill it up with hot glue and then put on a few layers of craft foam just to fill in deadspace.

Thanks, I saw your post in the mods/paint thread after I made mine. I'm definitely going to go back and add some more padding.

#332799 SledgeFire A/R Removal

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 08 August 2013 - 09:19 PM in Modifications

Nice,

Do you have a rough estimate or compairason on how big the plunger tube is?

I forgot to do that, but those weaves on the coffee table are about one inch wide, so I think it's about 2" x 4".

very nice!

I don't know if you have a triad or not but I heard that the sledgefire has the same smart AR as the triad.
Does this have the same problem as the triad when removing the AR?

I don't have a Triad, but the SledgeFire is a shotgun, it just fires all 3 darts at once. I doubt it's the same.

#332795 SledgeFire A/R Removal

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 08 August 2013 - 07:32 PM in Modifications

Been a long time since I've done any modding, but I came across a few tricks after opening up my SledgeFire that might come in handy for other people.

Posted Image

If you're not replacing the spring (I don't have any extras around) you don't have to open up the white part, just push in on the bottom edge of the plunger tube that faces away from you and push up. It will slide right out.

Posted Image

Here's the rear of the A/R assembly. Unfortunately, the front of the plunger tube is glued together, which is always a pain. Instead of messing with that you want to drill out the triangular area in the middle, and then take your screwdriver and push hard through each hole in the front.

Posted Image

Since everything is orange it's a little tough to see here, but when you do it correctly those back plates should snap off cleanly. It worked on the top two, but I think the bottom one was drilled a bit too close to the side of the plunger tube. Once you get the springs and other air restrictor garbage out of there it's easy to widen the front holes and clean up the rest with your dremal.

Posted Image

The downside is that you're left with a lot of deadspace in the front of the plunger tube. I eyeballed it wrong, and this piece of foam doesn't even come close to the end of the plunger tube. I put a slightly bigger piece in there for now, but I'll have to hit up Ax-Man again for some more.

I don't use a tape measure for ranges, but our house is about 50 feet long. Before the mod most shots were falling short, after the mod they all went past it (all stock darts). I'd guess there's about a ten foot improvement, mostly it seems to help the shots stay consistent.

I didn't see any shell refill packs, I'd like to get one before I mess around with the barrels too much. I got this mostly to have fun at an all Defend the Core war, but I bet a singled rear-loading shell would be an easy and effective mod for swapping in and out.

----------------------

Update with some HammerShot info. I didn't think it was really big enough to make another thread.

Like the SledgeFire you're also left with some dead space at the front of the plunger tube. I did the same thing with a smaller piece of foam on the plunger rod and took out the posts in the barrels. It's pretty nice compared to dealing with the barrel A/R's on a Maverick.

Unfortunately there wasn't much if any range increase with streamlines (although they still hit a good 60 feet), and slugs only go about 45' or so. It probably needs to be rebarreled to make it worthwhile.

#332707 Augsational: All DTC War!

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 05 August 2013 - 12:07 AM in Nerf Wars

It's time to find the ol' arrow shooting barrel, I'm pretty pumped!

#331865 Urban Nerf Assault

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 13 July 2013 - 12:27 AM in Nerf Wars

Looks pretty cool! I'll be there.

#331681 Nerf Wars in Minnesota

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 08 July 2013 - 07:55 PM in Nerf Wars

Add me to the list. This is great news!

#331031 SPANO 2013

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 18 June 2013 - 10:26 PM in Nerf Wars

Posted Image

Wish I had been feeling better, but I ran around a lot more then I thought I would when I woke up. You can't miss SPANO, rain and shine!

#330808 SPANO 2013

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 12 June 2013 - 10:36 AM in Nerf Wars

Oh yeah, if anybody wants some old n-strike blasters I'll have a box full I'm looking to dump at $5 bucks a pop. Or best offer.

#330807 MN War on July 6th

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 12 June 2013 - 10:26 AM in Nerf Wars

I'll be at Convergence then, so unless it's a lot lamer then my friends are telling me I probably can't make it.

#328763 SPANO 2013

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 15 April 2013 - 04:14 PM in Nerf Wars

WOOOOOOOO!

99% sure I'll be there.

#328437 Marchtacular 2!

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 31 March 2013 - 09:19 AM in Nerf Wars

I haven't been this jacked up after a war since we stopped using glue domes. Hooray for falling on the ice!

Other then that though it was an excellent time! The weather cleared up after just an hour or so and it was bright and sunny the rest of the day. All of the games were played around the big park building and most were near stock so we got to bust out some of our lesser used blasters.

Best game of the day was zombies. The small area and spawn-in rules ended up being perfectly balanced for the group size.

Anyways, I can't wait for the next one!

#327654 NDA Exclusive! New 2013 Nerf Mega Centurion

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 05 March 2013 - 11:36 AM in General Nerf

Posted Image

#327615 NDA Exclusive! New 2013 Nerf Mega Centurion

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 04 March 2013 - 03:37 PM in General Nerf

My main question is why there isn't an awesome looking (if unnecessary) scope.

This is by far the most interesting thing I've seen come out of Nerf in a long time. Based off the descriptions (2' plunger stroke, spring that won't shatter plastic, functional barrel), this would seem to be a spring-assisted HAMP or ramrocket, something with huge amounts of slow air that would require the long barrel.

I know people are always complaining that rifling barrels means air will just escape around the dart, maybe the long/slow plunger is to keep the airflow up despite that.

#327502 Marchtacular 2!

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 02 March 2013 - 06:37 PM in Nerf Wars

Wooo, I'm totally down! Looking forwards to messing some zombies up with a Roughcut.

#323235 NERF WAR experts needed for 10 part mini-series

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 31 October 2012 - 02:05 PM in Off Topic

Yeah, I've never seen nerf spelled in all capitals before.

Posted Image

#323113 HellaWeen

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 28 October 2012 - 12:19 AM in Nerf Wars

Pros: Fun rounds, cool zombie round, old dude packing heat in Taco Bell

Cons: Only 3 people in costume

#322669 HellaWeen

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 16 October 2012 - 05:00 PM in Nerf Wars

Those zombie rounds sound awesome. I hope the park is clear so we can use most of it.

In other news, I've managed to get my hands on another Tornado. PM me if you want to buy it at the war, 30 bucks.

#322658 HellaWeen

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 16 October 2012 - 12:09 PM in Nerf Wars

I might be there with a friend.
Can we get an attendance list going? It would be a 4 hour drive, so I want to see if it's going to be a good first nerf war for a friend.
Also, since I've moved, I only have 3 blasters (PAS, pumpbow, hand cannon) and 1/2" slug darts, is this ok, or is this more of a melee/pistol/whatnot kinda thing? Just want to know in advance what to expect.
Thanks

There's usually only one or two pistol rounds, and since it's territories the action is contained in a smaller area and it's a lot of fun. There's always plenty of extra pistols to borrow too.

#322592 Vote for NH's Next Avatar Pack

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 14 October 2012 - 02:11 PM in Off Topic

I don't think there are any Ninja Turtles avatars, that could be cool.

#321554 HellaWeen

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 11 September 2012 - 06:33 PM in Nerf Wars

Hell yeah, I gotta make a bitchin costume!

#320846 DCIT Mk2 Hinge Trigger Version

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 22 August 2012 - 03:34 PM in Homemades

Have you tried adding more L-brackets to bring the trigger back up to the top? I think if the brackets are strong enough for it that would pretty much be the perfect blaster. It's still really cool though.

Kinda like this↓
┌┐
┌┘

#320661 Augsational!

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 19 August 2012 - 12:05 AM in Nerf Wars

Vests were worn!

Nothing much to report, all the rounds were super solid and most some were really close. (except for offend the core, where team VenomSonAvenger unloaded the silly, stock, and shotgun ammo for massive bonus points!)

Edit: Forgot my team totally dominated carpe also, but we had excellent defense and got really lucky on offense.

#320637 Augsational!

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 18 August 2012 - 12:43 AM in Nerf Wars

Hey guys, got a few things up for sale at the war.

5 six shot n-strike clips: $2 each or I'd trade all 5 for an 18 round clip

Magstrike, no clips: $10

Hornet (all tanks seem to work): $10

Hopefully people check this in the morning!

#320543 Augsational!

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 15 August 2012 - 10:16 PM in Nerf Wars

Don't shit yourself Zach, but I guess I'm gonna be there.

I shit myself!

#319208 Nerf Glossary/Jargon File

Posted by VelveetaAvenger on 25 July 2012 - 03:40 PM in General Nerf

I can't believe my favorite hasn't been mentioned yet!

A/R - The air restrictor is an obstruction in the barrel to limit airflow.