VACC's Content

There have been 1000 items by VACC (Search limited from 12-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#364016 I will be at Armageddon XX.

Posted by VACC on 25 June 2019 - 12:00 PM in Nerf Wars

It's not even the 20th Armageddon. I call your accreditation into question.

#364015 APOC 2019 - Saturday August 3rd in Ocean Township, NJ

Posted by VACC on 25 June 2019 - 10:50 AM in Nerf Wars

SCHEDULE

I don’t have one yet, whoops. Ban me Langley, I dare you.

You misspelled my name.

#355791 What is the history of modding

Posted by VACC on 25 August 2016 - 12:32 PM in General Nerf

Thank you to all the Admins who have been nerfing since the 2000s.

No

#336898 GRID CODE MARCH 2ND 2014

Posted by VACC on 06 February 2014 - 01:24 PM in Nerf Wars

People nerf on Sundays?

#333958 NJW16

Posted by VACC on 12 September 2013 - 02:30 PM in Nerf Wars

Hmmm

#327596 Grid Code is now March 2nd

Posted by VACC on 04 March 2013 - 08:48 AM in Nerf Wars

I enjoyed that war. The "CTF" (totally not CTF. You know I'm right because it kinda worked)rounds were a lot of fun with more action. The key was giving one side infinine lives to remove the constant bunkering down and head-shotting. All in all, as long as we keep working and refining game types (I liked the lopsided domination a lot too) it'll continue to be a really nice change of pace indoor venue.

Thanks to Phil for organizing and letting me run a few experimental rounds. Everybody was pretty cool, and I think there are deffinately some additions to be made to my invitational stable.

#326729 Grid Code is now March 2nd

Posted by VACC on 12 February 2013 - 11:38 AM in Nerf Wars

I can neither confirm nor deny. I've got plans for early March, but I'm unsure of which weekend. I'll update as soon as I know.

#324367 RESCHEDULED DUE TO WEATHER: War at 'The Grid Code' Indoor Ner

Posted by VACC on 11 December 2012 - 08:09 AM in Nerf Wars

Though it is not now, when it is, I will be present.

#323229 Hurricane Sandy

Posted by VACC on 31 October 2012 - 09:55 AM in Off Topic

Manhattan is completely dark south of 34th st. No power, no water, no cell towers. I'm in Jersey till Con Ed gets the power back.

#322619 Wtb sonic stampede

Posted by VACC on 15 October 2012 - 10:29 AM in General Nerf

Wow, you don't belong here. I'm not even going to attempt explaining why. Take a year to think about it.

#322382 Parents and Nerf

Posted by VACC on 09 October 2012 - 07:47 AM in Off Topic

Alright, this advice column has run its course. I'm infinitely uncomfortable with a bunch of 20 something guys talking a 14 year old through convincing his parents to let them hang out, over the internet.

#322154 NIC Members with families

Posted by VACC on 02 October 2012 - 09:08 AM in Off Topic

We are not in the life advice business. If we were, it would be very bad advice. If nerf is getting in the way of your life, I'd recomend recognizing the absurdity of that statement.

#321828 SMEDLEY PARK WAR

Posted by VACC on 20 September 2012 - 11:04 PM in Nerf Wars

Also, just a quick question about the banned guns...when you say "anything except for springers" does that include HAMPs? I don't see why they shouldn't be banned, but just checking.

Are you honestly intending to bring and use a hamp? Color me incredulous..

#321715 SMEDLEY PARK WAR

Posted by VACC on 17 September 2012 - 02:18 PM in Nerf Wars

I accidentally deleted Lt. Dan's last post. He said he was coming. I think that clears that up.

#321624 Melee in Nerf

Posted by VACC on 14 September 2012 - 07:22 AM in General Nerf

Seems like this is another case of assuming Jersey rules are standard accross the country. They're not, and melee is frequently allowed elsewhere. That said, there are a few reasons why wars in our region dissallow melee. The first being that melee often leads to shields and we have found sheilds, aside from their use in very specific instances, to be a poor mechanic in outdoor game types. They usually slow down the flow of a round and encourage people not to fire darts at one another...which is kinda the point of nerf wars.

The second reason is that many people who enjoy melee don't want to be shot at close range. This is simply absurd. Why would anyone waste a dart and chance a miss while their opponant is far outside of their own effective range? Personally, I wait until somone with a melee weapon is about a foot further away than their reach, and I fire dead center on their chest. If they don't like that, they should give me a practical reason not to do it. Welts are not a reason.

Finally, melee is non-competitive. Anyone with even a substandard nerf gun (as long as it fires) should have no problem dispatching someone with a melee implement. The counter-argument often made by the pro-melee croud, "but it's fun", falls on deaf ears around here. It may be fun for you but we're pricks, and none of us find it fun to have an outmatched player on our team.

Anyway, those are our reasons. Many people don't agree with those. Find those people and nerf with them.

#321545 Nerf War Question

Posted by VACC on 11 September 2012 - 12:06 PM in General Nerf

I have never been to an official "war", but we throw stuff together all the time. If you are like most nerfers you have a pretty decent arsenal so get a bunch of friends together on a Saturday afternoon distribute some blasters and have at it. We keep it informal and fun, it can be a blast with a as few as four guys but the more the merrier. The upside will be that you are building a local nerf community. Do it enough and it may turn into an official "war", but keep it simple and keep it fun to start.

Wow, the guy with no "official"war"" experience gives, far and away, the best advice. iModify, you don't need to attend an NIC event to run a war. And your wars don't need to resemble the former to be fun. Nerf should be done with your friends in any manner that they and you like best. If you have nerf guns and darts, get together and shoot each other. If you want some basic tried and tested game types or rules to get you started, they can be found in abundant supply in the Nerf Wars section.

The idea that you should drive hours so that your first war be an NIC run event is completely retarded. Not only will the playing field not be level, but you'll be nerfing with strangers when you could be playing with your friends in your own neighborhood. Save the roadtrips until you know you like the activity enough to warrant the trip.

#321447 SMEDLEY PARK WAR

Posted by VACC on 07 September 2012 - 08:37 AM in Nerf Wars

Send a car for me.

#320936 The How-to Of Nerf Wars (and Some Game Ideas)

Posted by VACC on 24 August 2012 - 10:38 AM in Nerf Wars

You're not groove, do not post image macros. No exceptions.

#320601 International Megawar

Posted by VACC on 17 August 2012 - 01:24 AM in Nerf Wars

As someone who has been hosting nerf wars for almost 15 years, and has hosted apoc a few times, I feel like I might have one valuable piece of information for the soon to be hosts here. Bigger, in nerf war terms, is almost never better. Now, maybe you've hosted your share of wars and know exactly what you're doing. If that's the case, feel free to dismiss my advice. However, if you're fairly new to this you should consider that hosting small local wars is not only usually a lot more fun, but invaluable, in terms of preparation, for the hosting of larger nerf wars. Don't rush to make everything crowded and impersonal. When given the choice between 50 or 15 nerfers, I'll choose 15 every time.

#320440 International Megawar

Posted by VACC on 14 August 2012 - 08:32 AM in Nerf Wars

This war is woefully out of place on our forums. There's no rule against this kind of thing, but I'd recomend looking to other sources for attendance, as you won't garner much here.

#320226 Holsters

Posted by VACC on 09 August 2012 - 02:05 PM in General Nerf

That is mostly because players have been moving away from Primary + Secondary setups and toward just Primary + Hoppers/turrets.

Draconis speaks the truth. Carrying a side arm was, at one point, the sign of a veteran nerfer. Eventually it became the norm, until the advent of hoppers made pulling and potentially priming said sidearm more time consuming then recocking your primary or tossing another few darts into a hopper.

#320011 Apoc Reaction/Feedback Thread

Posted by VACC on 06 August 2012 - 07:37 AM in Nerf Wars

War is hell. Nerf war is the special olympics.

Thanks to everyone who came and had a great time. Thanks for wanting to nerf more than you wanted to BS. Thanks for being good sports about me yelling unneccessary profanities at you in the name of misguided motivation (this was actually down quite a bit from past years, believe it or not). Thanks for, as always, taking an inordinant amount of pride in any pot-shot, blind-shot, mortar-shot, and accidental-shot that found their mark on me. Finally, thanks to everyone who traveled several to tens of hours in order to be there. I still can't figure out why you'd want to do that, but we do our best to make it worth your wile (I hope that we succeed more than we do not).

As for my impressions of the war, I feel as if Phil and I packed more nerfing into the day last year, in our inaugeral effort to revamp Apoc. Yesterday, however, had a much more cooperative and relaxed feel. We still got a lot of nerf in, but Phil and I got to enjoy it with the rest of you this year. A lot of that probably had to do with the fact that this year's apoc was smaller, in terms of turn out, than was last year's. That is very-super-fucking-alright with me. Last year's apoc knocked me into my first nerf hiatus in half a decade, but I think this one just might pull me back in. There's nothing quite like hunting children.

As a side note, I was rather pleased to find out that despite having nerfed once in the last 12 months, Ted and I can still run the table. Though, perhaps that is mostly due to my well documented "favorite nerfer" turning into the best nerfer. Screw it, I'm still awesome.

#320009 Creating a NIC Biography

Posted by VACC on 06 August 2012 - 07:15 AM in Off Topic

Every couple years someone tries to do something along these lines and makes the mistake of writing about things which no one they've spoken to actually experienced. This community has about the shortest memory span of anything I've ever encountered, and it's never really been to its detriment. If you'd ike to alter that, more power to ya'. As a well documented ass, and the only person who has been active for the entirety of the NIC's existance, I'll be more than happy to criticize the end results.

#311360 Nerf 2012 Dart Tag

Posted by VACC on 17 February 2012 - 11:36 AM in General Nerf

Alright, where do I start? Oh right, no one cares.

If you'd like to post random tidbits about new nerf guns post them in the product availability thread. Unless it's breaking news about the announcement of new blasters, it doesn't really warrant a new thread.

#311359 .22 Master Exam Design

Posted by VACC on 17 February 2012 - 11:29 AM in Off Topic

No no. Nope. We don't allow the discussion of darts with exposed metal; what the fuck would lead you to believe we'd allow this? This is so stupid, you're getting a week off.

#310621 Planning an interesting war on March 14th

Posted by VACC on 03 February 2012 - 03:21 PM in Nerf Wars

First of all, 50 - 60 players is a lot, especially if you are organizing this thing by yourself. There are venues that play well with this many players at once, but they usually are massive and composed of many smaller spaces (the interior a multi-floor building is an ideal example). A single open space, be it a gym or a field, makes a very cluttered and confusing stage for a single large battle. Artificial cover certainly helps in this reguard, but from the description of your gym, it seems too small for such a gathering. You might want to consider recruiting some coordinators that will allow you to, periodically, break up the participants into at least 2 smaller simultaneous games.

Further, with any large number of nerfers, even more so with new nerfers, simpler game types will run much more smoothly. Deathmatch is the obvious starting point, but if you're goin to try an implement a game with infinite lifes, try to keep the rules as simple and few as possible. CTF, by the way, hardly, if ever, works with Nerf. I've experienced countless iterations of it run by a variety of hosts, and I've yet to see it really work in an enjoyable fashion. You need such a specific type of venue for it, that it's usually just better to play something else.

However, though my suggestsions are based on quite a bit of experience, every war is different. While you should certainly do your research, take and leave whatever advice you like. The only real way to learn this ridiculous hobby is by experiencing it.

#310493 Best stock blaster you've bought?

Posted by VACC on 01 February 2012 - 09:42 AM in General Nerf

We do not permit "which is best" threads, because they are retarded and invite contributions from retards.

#310492 New Member from Florida saying Hi

Posted by VACC on 01 February 2012 - 09:38 AM in Off Topic

Since you dropped this in the modifications forum, I must inform you that this post does not really qualify. If you'd like to simply post picturs of "paintjobs andmodifications", as you say, we have a "modifications and paintjobs" thread specifically for that purpose. I know the inversion of terms can be tricky, but I think you can handle it. If you'd like to post in this forum we expect you to provide a write up of an original modification with embedded images, as opposed to links. Finding information on how to perform that task can beaccomplished using our search engine.

I'll be moving this thread to off topic.

#310150 Grid Code Indoor Nerf War in PA

Posted by VACC on 26 January 2012 - 11:04 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm more than ready for a Grid Code War, but I don't think I can make it any time in February. The 5th is most deffinately out, and the 19th is very very unlikely. Honestly, Sundays are gonna be tough for me even in NJ, and all the way out PA is gonna be nearly impossible. I'll come back and vote if the 19th starts to look any better.

If anybody is on the fence about this, you should not hesitate to put the money down. $25 is a small fee for a pretty unique nerfing experience. I know some people also don't want to make slugs, or bring weaker blasters, but it's really the way to go here. Toneing down your blaster, as Langely explained, is easier than it seems. Another option, if the shorter barrel is giving you problems, is to create some artificial deadspace with a t-joint, a 1-2" lenght of pvc, and an endcap assembled between the air chamber and your hopper assembly.

#310060 State of the Union Address at 9 EST

Posted by VACC on 25 January 2012 - 08:18 AM in Off Topic

The political opinions of nerfers could very well be the final, retarded, and proverbial straw that breaks our nation's back. I will not be party to this.

#309178 Oklahoma nerfers?

Posted by VACC on 06 January 2012 - 01:14 PM in Nerf Wars

I CONCUR

#309150 orange mod works 20% off shipping

Posted by VACC on 05 January 2012 - 08:40 AM in General Nerf

I'm in your topic, so I'm sure you know what comes next.

Blue's implication is correct. This type of thing belongs in the product awareness thread. Outside of that venue, it's basically an advertisement. We don't take money from advertisers so that you don't have to see ads. As such, we're certainly not going to host ads for free.

#309149 Nerf Streamline dart shotgun mod

Posted by VACC on 05 January 2012 - 08:34 AM in General Nerf

We erotically massage mods that encourage even potentially dangerous ammunition. Participants at a nerf war generally prepare themselves for nerf darts. Introducing airsoft pelets into that situation is not something we can condone.

This is not explicitly stated in our COC, and I understand that at your wars this may not present any danger. The problem is that many of our members are very young and, unlike profanity, this type of thing might actually prove hazardous to their health.

I'm going to close this thread, but you don't need to pm me. You're not in any manner of trouble. Thanks for contributing.

#309147 Darts and glitter and sprinkles

Posted by VACC on 05 January 2012 - 08:19 AM in Modifications

Our general policy is that unless you write up (post detailed instructions)for a modification, it should be added to the modifications/paintjobs thread instead of receiving it's own topic. Anyway, I'll close this. If you have something pressing to add, pm me.

#308453 New Nerf Guns

Posted by VACC on 19 December 2011 - 09:45 AM in General Nerf

The advice given so far is sound. Check out the modifications/ pj and homemade threads pinned in their respective forums. My personal advice would be to read those threads and search the trading forum for who is selling reliable homemade springers. The latest generations of snap have most of the functionality, if not the polish, of their more expensive poly carbonate counterparts.

That said, I don't want this thread becoming an argument over blaster viability, or simply a breeding ground for bad advice. What's been said so far is sound, and sufficient for you to get started. I'll end it at that.

#308452 Nerf Reflex Integration Into A Nerf Recon Barrel

Posted by VACC on 19 December 2011 - 09:32 AM in Modifications

In the future, this kind of mod would fit better in the modification/paintjob thread. The steps are rather self explanatory once you see the photo.

That said, you did nothing wrong, so don't take this as an admonishment. Honestly, I'm just happy to see activity in the winter months, when most of us are not thinking about nerf.

#308051 NerfHaven iPhone/iPad App

Posted by VACC on 05 December 2011 - 08:09 AM in General Nerf

Clearly you don't need our permission to create an app and feed from NerfHaven with it. What most people ask us about before proceding, however, is using our name. The answer is almost always "We're flattered, but no." That said, it's pretty common place for mobile apps to use the names of established websites/services/products without permission. I understand that, and I've no problem with this idea. The only thing I ask is that you note that this app is unofficial somewhere in the description. Good luck with it, and I hope it's a useful tool.

#307203 Please Stop the Insanity

Posted by VACC on 10 November 2011 - 08:16 AM in Site Feedback

I'm not reading this whole thread because....I don't want to. Phil has hit all the points worth hitting, so I'll just nod my head and reinforce his points.

This complaint has arisen, without exception, every time we've opened the gates for the last 8+ years (9 in January). Yes, right now our moderation team is a bit short handed, and Phil is doing almost everything, but that happens every fall and winter when I find it too cold to nerf and leave you jerks to your own devices. This time at least you're chaperoned.

So, in terrible summary, shit be fine, chill out brah'.

All posts in this thread, from this point forward, must be in iambic pentameter.

And if you disobey you will be banned.

#306830 Longstrike tilted

Posted by VACC on 02 November 2011 - 12:26 PM in Modifications

taerKitty pooped on your face.

Maybe, scouts9III, you could do a simple search for longstrike foregrip to find several solutions. Ignorance is no excuse for misinformation. This is especially true when the tools to peruse the last 9 years of modifications are at your fingertips.

#306817 WAR!

Posted by VACC on 02 November 2011 - 06:50 AM in Nerf Wars

I am thinking about having a nerf war in south central Missouri. Contact me if intrerested in it.

The topic lines are there to provide information. I'd recomend you edit yours to do as much.

cmeej: Your post is awfully close to backseat moderating. We, the moderators/admins, can communicate what we like and don't like for ourselves. Feel free to use the report function if you'd like us to address an infraction of the CoC.