Daniel Beaver's Content

There have been 1000 items by Daniel Beaver (Search limited from 07-December 93)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#364630 Sceptor... If you know, you know

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 03 March 2021 - 05:42 PM in General Nerf

These things wreck when modded. Super underrated.

#364623 Nerf Longshot feeding issue

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 27 December 2020 - 05:12 PM in Modifications

Anyway to fix this short of brassing a new bolt or putting in a worker breech and barrel? Also I'm using a talon mag.

No simple fix, you do need a mechanism for pushing in the dart.

#364615 Crossbow Tube Help?

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 10 December 2020 - 04:41 PM in Modifications

I want to make sure my homemade internal making skills are good enough before I make any guides. 

Nah, just post it even if it's garbage.

#364612 Crossfinder

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 04 December 2020 - 11:05 AM in Modifications

It's definitely a mod of it's era.

#364605 "My First 3B"

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 06 October 2020 - 05:36 PM in Modifications

A quick update to the mod: if you have a 3D printer, you can use these tip replacements that I designed instead of modifying the coupler.

https://www.thingive...m/thing:4616582

large_display_20201006_084910.jpg

#364602 Project 12: 100% brushless Vortex blaster

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 18 August 2020 - 01:16 PM in Homemades

Very cool. Bravo on using Creative Commons licensing to enlarge commons of knowledge.

It’s having some reliability issues, but only with Pyragon drums. I’m not 100% sure what’s going on here. Might be just because it’s firing so much faster than the Nitron and the drums can’t keep up. 20 round stick mags are fine. I’m waiting for the chance to combat test this to see how it works there before I spend too much more time on it.

There's quite a lot of variability between drums, only 1 of the 3 I have work well. 

#364592 Front-Primed 1995 Kenner Crossbow

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 03 August 2020 - 08:47 PM in Modifications

I wonder if you could come up with some sort of pully systems, so that it could be a pump to prime?

#364583 What Happened to NerfHaven

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 24 June 2020 - 05:23 PM in General Nerf

You can't hide from us  :P

#364579 What Happened to NerfHaven

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 17 May 2020 - 05:07 PM in General Nerf

We use meetup.com (among other things) here in Houston. I won't say it's been the most successful tool we have, but there are several regulars that found our group through that site.

I'll have to give that a try.

#364574 What Happened to NerfHaven

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 13 May 2020 - 06:09 PM in General Nerf

Reddit is cute for showing off completed projects and capturing the culture, but not the proper layout for sales, write-ups, and organizing wars. I am assuming Facebook groups are more local and great for organizing wars?

Facebook has been a good tool for connecting with new nerfers in the Minneapolis/St Paul area of Minnesota. We have the very searchably named  "Minnesota Nerf" page and "Minnesota Nerf Community" group, which draws in a lot of randos to wars hosted by various people in the area. I do post war announcements on reddit and some of the discord channels, but I've never had anyone show up who didn't see it on NerfHaven or Facebook. I could see Facebook dropping off in usefulness in the near future as young people shun the platform en masse.

The disintegration of forums and the balkanization of online social media is not unique to Nerf at all. It's completely common nowadays to have multiple parallel social groups of a particular hobby active in the same geographic area, and be completely unaware of each other. It's interesting how the internet of 2000-2010 had a lot of centralized hobbyist forums that really brought everyone together, and how much that has disintegrated in a few short years.

#364566 Modded Stampede.

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 04 May 2020 - 07:21 PM in Homemades

I would take a look at these two threads first:

http://nerfhaven.com...-modifications/

http://nerfhaven.com...emade-blasters/

#364565 What Happened to NerfHaven

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 04 May 2020 - 07:20 PM in General Nerf

The fragmentation of online nerf is distressing, there's no longer an compendium of all information. Some people are still around and active. I certainly still do mods and homemades (I'm working on a Fang QS-4 mod this evening).

As for nerfing itself, this is arguably the best time ever to do it.

#364503 Smaller caliber darts?

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 14 March 2020 - 09:38 AM in Darts and Barrels

For reference 3/8" darts were referred to as "nanos". Not much ever came of them. One major issue is that the dimensional tolerances of FBR seem to be consistent across sizes, which makes the barrel fit very inconsistent on small sizes.

It's definitely possible to make practical small darts, but you need to use different materials and construction methods than is typical for stefans. Boomco's straw darts, for example, are 0.4" in diameter, and do perform well.

#364481 3d printed springer pistols?

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 25 February 2020 - 10:33 PM in Homemades

Pistols are the one case where I think modding existing blasters will give you better results than building a homemade.

#364449 Nerf Wars in Durham, NC area

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 08 February 2020 - 11:34 AM in Nerf Wars

The steps I would take are:

1. Post a thread of Nerfhaven. Which you've done already, good work  ;)
2. Post a comment on r/nerf. Also search through the post history for North Carolina and Durham to see if anyone else has posted about it, and message them directly.
3. Search Facebook for any local nerf groups. If one does not exist, create it. You want the group to have a very generic and searchable name, so that people can discover it - such as North Carolina Nerf, or Durham North Carolina Nerf. Once a group is created, people will start stumbling on it and sending you messages, so be sure to respond to those.
4. If you know even one other person, host a war and post the event across multiple social media outlets. You may actually have some randos show up, people who saw your event but never messaged you. The majority of people online lurk, but they are real and present.

There is a lot of diffuse interest in nerf wars out there, and so you have to take actions to coalesce it into a community of people who are actively engaged. That's where you have to just "fake it till you make it", host very tiny wars and post invites and information on a lot of online social platforms. Eventually one person will come, and then three, and then six... and at some point you'll actually have a local community of people who are actively participating. The only way to do that is to apply some elbow grease, and to believe in the project even when it seems like you're spinning your wheels.

#364448 Water vs. Dryer? dart saving methods

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 08 February 2020 - 11:28 AM in Darts and Barrels

I don't think either method is really going to revitalize the darts as much as you think. Darts are super cheap now, I would buy some from China.

#364415 Nerf Wars in Durham, NC area

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 26 January 2020 - 09:03 AM in Nerf Wars

War planning has gotten extremely disrupted by the expansion of social media, it's difficult to find them now. Basically, whoever hosts in the area has to post on whichever newfangled site/service that people use. For the MN wars I host, I end up having to post here on NH, on Facebook, on Reddit, and on Discord servers... and I'm still probably missing a huge chunk of potential nerfers. I don't think there's an easy answer for discovering nerf wars other than just spamming everywhere with questions, or trying to build up a local community on your own.

#364356 Ballzooka-compatible ammo?

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 22 December 2019 - 11:05 AM in General Nerf

Ballzooka topics are evergreen

#364345 Titan Modification Question

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 16 December 2019 - 06:21 PM in Modifications

It sounds like you're talking about a different blaster. Titans are air-powered, not electric.

#364299 Dcit

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 14 November 2019 - 09:04 PM in Homemades

That IS a giant jolt, not a dcit ;)

#364296 Tech Target - 3D printed barrel replacements

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 12 November 2019 - 11:57 PM in Modifications

This is a 3D printed drop-in replacement for the barrel of a Nerf brand Tech Target blaster.

2019-11-12 22.29.52.jpg
The standard barrel replacement is compatible with standard foam darts, simply push the darts into the barrel from the front. This works well with the stock spring, but is not recommended with an upgraded spring, as the high pressures will tend to damage stock darts. The standard barrel is compatible with half length darts, but requires a ramrod to fully insert them. With the stock spring, you can expect velocities of about 80fps.

2019-11-12 22.33.28.jpg

2019-11-12 22.33.54.jpg

The CPVC insert compatible barrel is a receptacle for a CPVC barrel replacement. This is recommended if you are using half length darts and an upgraded spring. A 4" CPVC barrel is optimal, and you can expect velocities of about 140fps.

2019-11-12 22.35.13.jpg

Attached Files

#364293 Dcit

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 11 November 2019 - 11:32 PM in Homemades

Crazy you're dragging this up DB, it's a giant jolt which is all the knockout is.

By "just a giant jolt", I assume you mean "the best homemade blaster ever made"

...if only a mk2 version was in the works...

#364285 Strongarm turret extension, post and lock removal.

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 09 November 2019 - 10:42 AM in Modifications

Unfortunately Photobucket broke a lot of links to pictures in the years since this has been posted, so a lot of mod guides no longer have pictures.

#364277 Hellaween at Newell Park, Saint Paul, October 3rd, 2020

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 03 November 2019 - 11:07 PM in Nerf Wars

When: Noon, October 3rd, 2020

Play with nerf blasters in the park!

Game types
• Carpe
• Defend the Core
• Capture the Flag
• Clicker Elimination

Blasters
• Everything is legal! Just be reasonable >.<

Darts
• All stock darts, balls, arrows etc are legal
• Slugs and other soft-tipped homemade darts are legal
• No hard-tipped darts (glue domes in particular)

Miscellaneous
• Eye protection is mandatory
• Bring water
• Think about wearing sunscreen

#364276 Summer's End at Newell Park, Saint Paul MN, August 29th, 2020

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 03 November 2019 - 11:05 PM in Nerf Wars

https://www.facebook...32361347480543/

When: Noon, August 29th, 2020

Game types
• Carpe
• Defend the Core
• Capture the Flag
• Clicker Elimination

Blasters

Darts

Miscellaneous
• Bring water

#364275 SPANO 2020 - St. Paul Area Nerf Outing, June 7th, 2020

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 03 November 2019 - 11:03 PM in Nerf Wars

https://www.facebook...35141707190974/

When: Noon, June 7th, 2020

Game types
• Carpe
• Defend the Core
• Capture the Flag
• Clicker Elimination

Blasters

Darts

Miscellaneous
• Bring water

#364274 Spring Warmup at Newell Park, Saint Paul MN, April 25th, 2020

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 03 November 2019 - 11:01 PM in Nerf Wars

https://www.facebook...44866366163913/

When: Noon, April 25th, 2020

Game types
• Carpe
• Defend the Core
• Capture the Flag
• Clicker Elimination

Blasters

Darts

Miscellaneous
• Bring water

#364273 Cyberpunk 2077 Kang Tao 3D Printed Nerf Gun

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 03 November 2019 - 10:57 PM in Homemades

Oh also, I've had great success using coarse thread screws like wood, sheet metal, plastite, etc. Inserts are nice, but IMO overkill for 99% of parts - you don't really need to open and close these things so much that a coarse thread will strip the plastic out except in the case of an access hatch or battery bay. A machine thread could certainly strip though, those are too fine for the plastic to hold long.

One thing I saw was that often the surrounding plastic fails before threads, whether they be 3D printed or when using brass inserts:

https://www.youtube....h?v=iR6OBlSzp7I

#364270 Dcit

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 03 November 2019 - 10:26 PM in Homemades

Yo Koree, fix your pictures.

#364265 Cyberpunk 2077 Kang Tao 3D Printed Nerf Gun

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 02 November 2019 - 07:19 PM in Homemades

The reason I don't think tree supports is useful for this project is that there are a lot of larger, flat horizontal surfaces to support. Tree supports I thought were good for small overhang features, which is rare in this project, surprisingly. I do a lot of bridging instead.

Your intuition is correct - tree supports do not leave a very good underside surface, worse than standard supports. Designing with a reliance on bridging instead of supports will give you a nicer, more consistent underside surface.

#364258 Cyberpunk 2077 Kang Tao 3D Printed Nerf Gun

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 30 October 2019 - 09:52 PM in Homemades

This is some of the best content ever posted on NH, thanks for sharing in detail!

Manual supports is a good approach for a lot of these kind of parts, even if it's a lot of work. In a sense, the major design consideration of design for 3D printing is dealing with overhangs, as they're a necessary part of a lot of parts.

I've had mixed feelings about tree supports. They're really great for parts where you need support, but where there isn't clearance all the way to the print bed. When that's not the case, then regular supports often work better.

#364084 SPANO 2019 - St. Paul Area Nerf Outing

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 16 July 2019 - 05:23 PM in Nerf Wars

Facebook event link

When: Noon, July 27

Game types
• Carpe
• Defend the Core
• Capture the Flag
• Clicker Elimination

Blasters

Darts

Miscellaneous
• Bring water

#364050 EZ Talon Magazine

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 06 July 2019 - 09:17 AM in Homemades

Is there a 3D printed version of worker's mag well that can go along with this?

#364049 Magnetic Nerf Darts?

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 06 July 2019 - 09:15 AM in General Nerf

Some type of magnetic paint?

#364048 Project 10

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 06 July 2019 - 09:14 AM in Homemades

This looks good, I'll see if I have time to make one. My ESTL from years ago is still functioning as a loaner blaster, so this general type of design is quite robust.

#363990 Brass Breech LS destroying worker darts

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 11 June 2019 - 08:26 PM in Darts and Barrels

It sounds like you're not getting a good seal when the breech is closed.

#363976 Breech modification in a tri-strike

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 06 June 2019 - 09:11 PM in Modifications

You'll want the breach to open just far enough to pick up the half length darts. First step would be to get some magazines that use half length darts, so that you can kinda eyeball what you need to do to the breech.

#363863 The History of Nerf Modding archival project

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 07 May 2019 - 08:57 PM in General Nerf

I'll jump on. This is the right place to find information.

#363840 Dart foam is cracking, but the heads are not blowing off.... Help plea

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 28 April 2019 - 09:48 PM in Modifications

To follow up on what we talked about at the war:

I think what's happening is a combination of a short, tight barrel and a small-radius plunger tube, combined with full length darts, means that when the dart is half-way out of the barrel, the pressure inside the hollow stem of the dart is quite high relative to atmospheric pressure. Cylinders that are experiencing stress due to positive pressure on it's inner surface will tend to split in the longitudinal direction. This is because axial stress is about twice as high as radial stress. The splitting you see is in the direction you would expect if the pressure inside the dart got high enough to rupture the foam. You normally only see this kind of splitting on air valve blasters with large volume pressure chambers, such as Big Blasts or Jobars. With those blasters, the pressure in the barrel remains quite high even when you're using a very long barrel - they're releasing so much high pressure air that even a very long barrel doesn't drop the pressure very much.

pressure_vessels.png

The solutions to this problem are:

• Lower the peak pressure of your blaster. You can do that by using a weaker spring, or pumping up your air blaster less. This approach sucks because you lose range.
  • Use a longer barrel, so that the pressure inside the barrel (and dart stem) is lower when it exits the barrel. On a high volume air blaster, this sometimes requires you to use an impractically long barrel. On this pistol, you maybe only need a few more inches (maybe just 2-4 more inches?).
  • Use half-length darts, which will clear the barrel sooner and so there won't be as long of a section of the darts with a pressure gradient acting to split them. It's still possible for these to split, though.
  • Use solid foam darts. This is the most straight-forward solution, but most darts you can buy have hollow cores, so this is usually a no-go.

#363832 Dart foam is cracking, but the heads are not blowing off.... Help plea

Posted by Daniel Beaver on 25 April 2019 - 07:39 PM in Modifications

Are they getting cut by something in the mechanism?

Foam splitting is typically caused by high peak pressures in the barrel, but I don't think you would necessarily see that in your setup. Possibly the barrel is too tight?